Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

Chapter 105: Last Acts
Chapter 105: Last Acts

“‘Those days of the winter of 1864 and 1865 would be the darkest of my life,’ Lincoln would later write in his 1876 memoirs. Darker than the Civil War, the British war, or even the worries of besieged Washington, the knowledge that he was almost powerless to shape the pivotal coming year of 1865 weighed on the president more than he might ever admit. His sons would all recount the “dark time” similar to when his beloved wife died. Many said he was watching another loved one die, his country.

The final months of the Lincoln Administration were marked by a lame congress, divided political movements, and no clear national strategy for the coming year. Lincoln had some success in shaping events, with the one notable military achievement of ordering the capture of Little Rock in Arkansas, a battle that saw over 4,000 Union casualties for 3,500 Confederate. Despite the small success, the greater national perception of the war was one of defeat.

More importantly, in Congress, the Republican Party could not present a united front tot he Democratic Party which, though outnumbered, was prepared to back the new administration simply on principle. Even the most ardent War Democrats agreed with the idea of attempting a negotiated peace after so much bloodshed. While the Unconditional Unionists and Ra dicals disagreed completely with this strategy, many moderates did not think that a ‘new bloodletting’ would let the nation move into the latter half of the 1860s with any chance of success…

Despite a number of meetings in person, and by proxy, Lincoln was little able to impress upon McClellan any major sense of urgency in the first months of 1865. McClellan, while listening attentively to some matters such as those of finance, would often tune out his predecessor on matters of politicking in the House, and most importantly on military matters. It seemed that the Young Napoleon believed he had nothing to learn from Lincoln regarding the arts of war…

While he could do little to cement a military legacy, Lincoln did work to do the bare minimum to try and ensure his political legacy was not completely ruined. The victory of a united Democratic coalition did, briefly, unite the Republicans and the Radical Democracy Party into ensuring that there was no ‘backsliding’ on war measures already passed. McClellan would find that he was not going to have allies in Congress if he completely moved to bring back the status quo of 1860.

The most lasting act would be the replacement of Roger B. Taney as Supreme Justice of the Supreme Court. Infamous for his declaration that African Americans were not, and could not be, citizens of the United States, he had been a fierce critic of the Lincoln Administration. Ruling against Lincoln on almost every matter, he had been publicly critical of the President and openly sympathetic towards the Southern states. To say Lincoln did not mourn his passing was perhaps an understatement.

With this opening, Lincoln saw a chance to at least cement some of his legacy despite an administration with opposing goals. To do so he needed a loyal and keen legal mind. In a choice which, depending on ones perspective, was either inspired or wildly vindictive, he appointed Edwin Stanton as to the Supreme Court of the United States…

As March approached, Lincoln resigned himself to merely seeing what “Providence shall deliver” to him. He attended church regularly in the months leading up to the end of his term, often with the African American congregations, notably in the company of Elizabeth Keckley. This small religious awakening would mark the turn of his later life and post-presidential career.

When the time came to go he bid the nation “A farewell from a man who has done his best,” merely wishing he could be remembered for all his efforts to restore the Union rather than “my actions however laudable or regrettable they may be…” - Snakes and Ladders: The Lincoln Administration and America’s Darkest Hour, Hillary Saunders, Scattershot Publishing, 2003

“The legacy of Abraham Lincoln is, for modern students of history, a difficult one. It has had different turnings throughout American history. In the immediate post war environment he was seen as a man who had blundered into a devastating foreign war and fractured the Republican Party, almost beyond repair. In the 1880s, after he had published his memoirs and the New Men had finally begun to shape the political scene in a way which was more sympathetic to the Republican Party and the nascent labor movements in the United States was getting off the ground, his post-war political career was more earnestly analyzed in a favorable light. In the aftermath of the Great War this, naturally, saw another change away from favorable press to critical examination right up until the 1940s. It was only after the Centennial of the Great American War that he would at last receive the more impartial and considerate scholarship of the recent generation.

With the changing face of Lincoln in mind for many historians, giving him a strange place in the pantheon of American presidents. He did not expand the United States, and much of his most important legislation was instead taken up by his successors, everything from the trans-continental railroad, the opening of the West, and even the issue of slavery that he cared so much about was only handled by those who came after.

The writers of the 1860s and 1870s would often say that Lincoln had ‘bumbled his way to power’ often in a self-serving attempt to turn the political causes he had championed into ideas that their own partisan needs were served by. For instance, the transcontinental railroad was not completed during his term in office, and it was his Democratic successors who would claim credit for connecting the East and West coasts of America, despite Lincoln having passed the legislative framework to make that possible.

Even his, for the time, progressive acts on racial issues were broadly ignored or coopted by different political factions in that day. The Radical Democracy Party would champion the Emancipation Proclamation all the way up to 1872 as though it had been their legislation all along, while the later Wigwam Republicans would disassemble over whether their party truly supported the act. But, both would stand firm beside Lincoln’s anti-slavery legacy, especially as Lincoln moved to mend fences in the early 1870s…

During the war he led the nation with a light hand, something later presidents would try to emulate. After the war he tried to mend the divide between sections, even when it cost him his personal reputation. Most importantly, however, he would lead the way in promoting racial harmony between sections, earning him the trust of Thaddeus Stevens, and cementing a lasting friendship for the two men...

In the modern day, we can at last examine Lincoln with the impartiality he deserved. A man caught in the greatest calamity to befall the United States, and a man who wrestled with his own views on everything from power to race, he was, as his son General William Lincoln would write “Like Jacob wrestling with the angel, always struggling to divine what was true and where he was going.” And through Lincoln’s writings we see a man who struggled with his thoughts, his goals, and whether or not he was doing the right thing. He doubted he had succeeded, and his later successors would for some time disparage his legacy. But, he did cement his legacy in 1874, a decade after the nation turned him out. However, in doing so, it showed that Lincoln was a man who cared about freedom and brotherhood above all else. That, more than anything, should be his legacy."
- Abraham Lincoln, A Reconsideration, Marcus Laney, Liberty Press, Monrovia, 1992

I love how it seems to be trend on this fourm that even when lincoln loses the war his personal character means he's still regarded well in present times.

edit and Great chapter as always !

Last edited:
I got to say if the USA somehow manages to win the war it’s going to be very costly and force them to not do manifest destiny to rebuild everything so they can stand on their own two feet

I love how it seems to be trend on this fourm that even when lincoln loses the war his personal character means he's still regarded well in present times.

Well he wasn't that bad of a dude, hard to find a politician who is genuinely commendable enough to use as a role model and example for future people to inspire in this world of ours :oops:

I think it's because Lincoln was a very decent man. Only his most ardent detractors would have the gall to besmirch him, even in a world where he failed in winning the war. Coupled with his political acumen, it's easy to see why he's considered one of the best.

It sounds like post-war he ends up a lot like John Quincy Adams, very highly regarded, well meaning and casting a shadow over the following decades, but ultimately uncusseful while in power.

Great chapter, dude. I love the foreshadowing for the future!

Well he wasn't that bad of a dude, hard to find a politician who is genuinely commendable enough to use as a role model and example for future people to inspire in this world of ours :oops:

Quite so! Everything I read about Lincoln has led me to the conclusion he was a fundamentally decent man. Most importantly, he was someone who changed with his times, changing views on race, equality, and he was damn near - if not yet quite - Radical in his views near the end of his life. He wanted to let the South up easy, but he still believed in equality by the end of his life. Living longer TTL means he gets to shape his ideas and views more than he did OTL.

His post-war work will be quite influential to say the least!

I got to say if the USA somehow manages to win the war it’s going to be very costly and force them to not do manifest destiny to rebuild everything so they can stand on their own two feet

The post-war world is going to be one of economic hardship and decline even if the Union wins. The trickle of immigrants received through the blockade TTL meant that there was real economic gains made with a scarce work force, but it was also a reason for so many more bitter race riots in 1863 as resentment against freedmen and free African Americans taking jobs in the middle of an economic contraction hurt other workers. Now with the British blockade over the market is about to get glutted by new immigrants looking for work, and couple that with hundreds of thousands of men coming home from the war to jobs which might not exist and...

One of President McClellan's biggest issues is going to be how to handle the economy.

I think it's because Lincoln was a very decent man. Only his most ardent detractors would have the gall to besmirch him, even in a world where he failed in winning the war. Coupled with his political acumen, it's easy to see why he's considered one of the best.

It sounds like post-war he ends up a lot like John Quincy Adams, very highly regarded, well meaning and casting a shadow over the following decades, but ultimately uncusseful while in power.

Great chapter, dude. I love the foreshadowing for the future!

Hmm, didn't even think about the John Quincy Adams comparison! That's not a bad one for Lincoln, and as this little foreshadowing shows, his children will still be involved in the American political/military scene for some time on as well, just like the Adams!

One of President McClellan's biggest issues is going to be how to handle the economy.
Did he had any plans for economy, or is he going to dump all the financial responsibility to his Secretary of Treasury, John J. Astor, whose policies seem.., non-existent, at least for my “Looking at Wikipedia for two seconds for a guy I won’t think about outside of here before calling it a day” perception.

Did he had any plans for economy, or is he going to dump all the financial responsibility to his Secretary of Treasury, John J. Astor, whose policies seem.., non-existent, at least for my “Looking at Wikipedia for two seconds for a guy I won’t think about outside of here before calling it a day” perception.
The only guy I could find with that name died in 1848 so I'm confused now.

So far as I'm aware, McClellan didn't really have any big economic plans - nor the time to develop them. He's going to be leaning hard on poor Astor here because he trusts his judgement and management skills. McClellan has a decent business sense, but that doesn't necessarily translate into national economics. My personal thoughts are he'd lean towards hard currency.

Hes going to be leaning a lot on his cabinet for issues hes not fully cognizant of. It may or may not help that they're his friends on occasion.

The only guy I could find with that name died in 1848 so I'm confused now.

The Astor family is big, but it's his grandson you're looking at!

I can see the Union allying with Germany for round two with the confederations if they lose and I believe this time they will win and make the post war confederations beg to rejoin the union because they control their economy now (slow integration like how Henry turtledove southern victory did it as it was realistically supposed to)

I can see the Union allying with Germany for round two with the confederations if they lose and I believe this time they will win and make the post war confederations beg to rejoin the union because they control their economy now (slow integration like how Henry turtledove southern victory did it as it was realistically supposed to)

Depends on Germany as we know it forming in 1871 ;)

We have a full half century before the Great War kicks off TTL, and so there's going to be some changes to the world between then and now. Never mind the US's place in the world!

Depends on Germany as we know it forming in 1871 ;)

We have a full half century before the Great War kicks off TTL, and so there's going to be some changes to the world between then and now. Never mind the US's place in the world!
I for one want Germany to form so the union can have it vengeance and also lead an invasion to occupy Canada while also maybe even get Alaska because I know for sure they won’t ever get the money to buy it

I for one want Germany to form so the union can have it vengeance and also lead an invasion to occupy Canada while also maybe even get Alaska because I know for sure they won’t ever get the money to buy it
Even if Germany forms there is no guarantee it would be interested in supporting US revenge fantasies.

I've said many times before that WiF wouldn't be a redo of TL-191, and that is a very TL-191 scenario that I can assure you won't be happening.

Even if Germany forms there is no guarantee it would be interested in supporting US revenge fantasies.
Why should Germany care about supporting the US's ideas of regaining the South?

This is one thing I generally didn't like about 191, and one thing I did like about the Great American War in Cinco de Mayo (go read that if you haven't already). The author there had the US vs. CS conflict be tied up with other countries in Latin America, with no participation from Europe. Europe's big war happens completely separately a few years later over some damn foolish thing in the Habsburg monarchy (apparently, we haven't gotten there in the story yet).

Why should Germany care about supporting the US's ideas of regaining the South?

This is one thing I generally didn't like about 191, and one thing I did like about the Great American War in Cinco de Mayo (go read that if you haven't already). The author there had the US vs. CS conflict be tied up with other countries in Latin America, with no participation from Europe. Europe's big war happens completely separately a few years later over some damn foolish thing in the Habsburg monarchy (apparently, we haven't gotten there in the story yet).
Why does Britain put its pants on its head and let its two biggest regional rivals ally against its best interests?

I almost wanna cry for Lincoln damn, thank providence or whatever is out there didn't just watch as he spent every ounce of human effort keeping the union alive just to kick him out of power and let him watch as it all burnt down. To see it all through, and know the result is yours, win or lose? That's one one thing, but to agonize over those final campaigns you could never control would have been a personal hell for him.

Getting a bit emotional about seeing poor Abraham get bitch smacked by fate and the voters for the millionth time in a civil war TL shows how gorgeous your writing and world building is and continues to be, I genuinely didn't even expect Lincoln to lose until the very last moment. I'll be invested as ever in seeing McClellan stumble around in office, though I reckon the Union is still likely to win if a negotiated peace fails out in the end.

Is there any significance to that book being published in Liberia I wonder ?? 🤔

Last edited: