Terres Australes | Alternative World Thread by Substantial_Habit

In what ways climactically are Kurguelen and New Zealand most different?

Also, I presume that Kurguelen has Australia/New Zealand level laws on the import of fruit/vegetable/animals?

In what ways climactically are Kurguelen and New Zealand most different?
Well, the most notable is that Kerguelen extends further south than New Zealand, so it exhibits a broader range of climates, including tundra and polar icecap climates, which are absent in New Zealand. Most of Northern Kerguelen has the same climate as NZ, with Cfc and Cfd Oceanic climates characterized by mild temperatures, relatively consistent precipitation. Towards the center and inland highlands climate is more continental colder and more pronounced seasonal variations.
Also, I presume that Kurguelen has Australia/New Zealand level laws on the import of fruit/vegetable/animals?
Yes indeed, Kerguelen's farming industry is one of the most important and developed. Laws prohibit the import of foreign fruits/vegetables/animals that do not follow certain criteria or quality standards. These regulations are designed to protect the local ecosystem, prevent the introduction of potentially harmful pests or diseases, and maintain the high quality of Kerguelen's agricultural products. Also, local farmers must adhere to sustainable and environmentally conscious practices. Introducing goods that are not produced in accordance with Kerguelen's environmental standards would not only pose ecological risks but would also create a disadvantage for local farmers. By maintaining strict criteria for imports, the country ensures that its farmers can compete on equal footing, encouraging the continued growth and prosperity of the local agricultural industry.

World Map
Here is the definitive world map, I made some adjustments and finally drew the country borders. I will try to make a wiki chart with each country organised by population this week, but no promises.
abdzK3I.png

Last edited:
What happened to Guyana, Egypt, Korea, Bangladesh, and Germany?
In this TTL:
- Germany retains its pre-1938 borders, keeping the traditionally ethnic German western regions of Poland, and losing only East Prussia, which became a Soviet puppet.

-Korean war never happened, so the Korean peninsula remained united.

-Sudan was incorporated by the British into Egypt in 1899. In this TTL it remained part of Egypt after independence.

-After the dissolution of the British Raj and the Partition of India in 1947, the Republic of India and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan emerged as independent nations. The territory of East Bengal (Bangladesh) was separated from Pakistan, integrating into India. Despite initial aspirations for unity, tensions soon escalated, driven by deep-seated religious differences. Certain factions within the Indian government sought to assert dominance by exploiting these divisions, which led to a campaign to forcibly remove Muslim communities from Indian territory. Under this context, the Bengal Genocide unfolded, so you can imagine.

-When Venezuela gained independence, it defined its borders based on those of the Capitanía General de Venezuela. Guyana was under Dutch colonial rule from 1667 to 1824 (with no British presence in the territory in this TTL). The territorial claims over the border led to tensions between Venezuela and the Dutch, resulting in an armed conflict. The war concluded in 1821 with the signing of the Esequibo Treaty, which established the Esequibo River as the agreed-upon boundary.

In this TTL:
- Germany retains its pre-1938 borders, keeping the traditionally ethnic German western regions of Poland, and losing only East Prussia, which became a Soviet puppet.

-Korean war never happened, so the Korean peninsula remained united.

-Sudan was incorporated by the British into Egypt in 1899. In this TTL it remained part of Egypt after independence.

-After the dissolution of the British Raj and the Partition of India in 1947, the Republic of India and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan emerged as independent nations. The territory of East Bengal (Bangladesh) was separated from Pakistan, integrating into India. Despite initial aspirations for unity, tensions soon escalated, driven by deep-seated religious differences. Certain factions within the Indian government sought to assert dominance by exploiting these divisions, which led to a campaign to forcibly remove Muslim communities from Indian territory. Under this context, the Bengal Genocide unfolded, so you can imagine.

-When Venezuela gained independence, it defined its borders based on those of the Capitanía General de Venezuela. Guyana was under Dutch colonial rule from 1667 to 1824 (with no British presence in the territory in this TTL). The territorial claims over the border led to tensions between Venezuela and the Dutch, resulting in an armed conflict. The war concluded in 1821 with the signing of the Esequibo Treaty, which established the Esequibo River as the agreed-upon boundary.
I feel like Germany would have less territory seeing you mention WW2?

I'd love to see profiles of the other ATL countries and territories in the Indian and South Atlantic oceans. Also, what's going on with what appears to be a surviving USSR?

I'd love to see profiles of the other ATL countries and territories in the Indian and South Atlantic oceans. Also, what's going on with what appears to be a surviving USSR?
Mikhail Gorbachev carried out political and economic liberalisation policies, transitioning the USSR into a democracy in 1992 (He was successful, but it wasn't as easy as it sounds, there was a coup d'etat in 1991 against him and terrorist groups tried to assassinate him several times. People loved him tho).

I don't know if Russia would've been the name used for the reformed USSR. They'd probably want something less tied to one ethnic group in order to appeal to non-Slavs and to a lesser extent Ukrainians and Belarusians. The Sovereign Union or Eurasian Union strike me as plausible names for a USSR that abandons Communism.

I don't know if Russia would've been the name used for the reformed USSR. They'd probably want something less tied to one ethnic group in order to appeal to non-Slavs and to a lesser extent Ukrainians and Belarusians. The Sovereign Union or Eurasian Union strike me as plausible names for a USSR that abandons Communism.
First, the term "Russian Empire" (1721–1917) and later "Russian Republic" (1917-1918) were names used for all the territories of the Soviet Union before the October Revolution. I believe it was fitting for the name to remain as "Russia" due to historical factors following the reformation of the USSR. But yeah, I see you point

Republik Ostpreußen
Dear friends and followers, apart from the Austral countries, one of the nations that I am most excited about in this TTL is the Republic of East Prussia in Europe. Here you have the wikipage I've been working on these last few days, hope you like it! Btw, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2024 to all of you! Luv ya ♥️

hDFcXCO.png

EDIT: Changed some stuff about demographics and religion (11/01/2024)

Last edited:
Dear friends and followers, apart from the Austral countries, one of the nations that I am most excited about in this TTL is the Republic of East Prussia in Europe. Here you have the wikipage I've been working on these last few days, hope you like it! Btw, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2024 to all of you! Luv ya ♥️

east_prussia.png
Is East Prussia TTL the richest and the most developed post-communist nation?

And about Russian population. OTL there was no Russian migration to the Warsaw Pact nations, even travelling there was restricted, not so hard that to "States of Capital", but restricted. Ulbricht asked Khrushchev to allow Soviet people go to GDR, but Khrushchev refuses in words, that: "Our citizens wouldn't go to wash German toilets!".
Interesting, why situation ITTL East Prussia was different.

And about Russian population. OTL there was no Russian migration to the Warsaw Pact nations, even travelling there was restricted, not so hard that to "States of Capital", but restricted. Ulbricht asked Khrushchev to allow Soviet people go to GDR, but Khrushchev refuses in words, that: "Our citizens wouldn't go to wash German toilets!".
Interesting, why situation ITTL East Prussia was different.
That is very interesting. I imagined that ITTL the USSR tried to "slavify" East Prussia but was unsuccessful. Eastern European countries like Poland, Czechoslovakia or Hungary (where Germans were a minority) were able to transfer German population and "Volksdeutsche" back to Germany. However, ethnic Germans were the bast majority of East Prussia's population so expulsions weren't an option. After the Postdam agreement the USSR took control of the East Prussian government, and allowed the arrival of nearly 400.000 citizens from the Soviet Union to begin a replacement (mostly from western and southern Ukraine, and the area around Leningrad). A secondary reason for these migrations were the severe droughts experienced in these regions and the lack of food.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how a PRC (or for that matter *any* China that isn't a basket case) allows for an independent Hong Kong.

I'm still trying to figure out how a PRC (or for that matter *any* China that isn't a basket case) allows for an independent Hong Kong.
In short, I imagined that in TTL the UK refused to handover Hong Kong in 1997. This act triggered a series of events which ultimately ended in an armed conflict. China resorted to pressuring Hong Kong by cutting off water and food supplies, and threatened with a military invasion of the territory. Recognizing the escalating tensions, the United Nations and the international community intervened to mediate in the dispute, aiming to prevent a full-scale invasion and war. Subsequently, China and the UK entered into negotiations and reached an agreement to conduct a referendum, allowing the people of Hong Kong (and Macau) to determine their future status. Both nations pledged to respect the outcome of the referendum, regardless of the chosen option. In the spring of 1998, Hong Kong held the referendum presenting its citizens with three choices: joining China, maintaining ties with the UK, or opting for independence (a proposition introduced through UN mediation). The citizens of Hong Kong voted in favor of independence. Following this decision, Macau held a similar referendum in the summer of 1998, resulting in its choice for independence as well.