Terres Australes | Alternative World Thread by Substantial_Habit

Main Page
  • banner.png
    Welcome to "Terres Australes: Kerguelen", the Official Thread of my personal alternate history project.

First of all, what the hell is Kerguelen, and what is the premise behind "Terres Australes: Kerguelen"? Our Point of Divergence (PoD) is 1772, the year when the Kerguelen archipelago was discovered by the French navigator Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen-Trémarec. However, in this timeline, the Kerguelen archipelago is not the little island we know, but rather the entire Kerguelen plateau, a vast expanse of land above sea level in the Southern Indian Ocean.

"Terres Australes: Kerguelen" explores the impact that this geographical alteration has on the course of global events. The transformation of Kerguelen into a habitable territory becomes a catalyst for political, economic, and cultural shifts that reshape the trajectory of nations and societies. The alternate timeline delves into the birth of the Republic of Kerguelen, tracing its journey from colonial exploitation to sovereign nationhood.

The primary objective of this thread is to function as a storage space for me to share updates regarding the Kerguelen universe, which will include elements such as wikiboxes, articles, and maps between others. This thread invites fellow enthusiasts of alternate history to engage in discussions, debates, and creative speculations about Kerguelen's history, culture, politics, and societal evolution. Together, let's explore the untapped potential of an altered world where Kerguelen emerges as a central player on the global stage!

Disclaimers⚠️:
    1) This is not meant to be a shared world thread. This timeline is my own, and I'll have the ultimate say in all creative decisions for the series. However, as I mentioned earlier, I'm open to suggestions and contributions from all of you to collectively shape this world. Your input is highly valued!

2) Do not deliberately post information that can be contradictory or misleading with the canon posted by me. All canon posts will be Threadmarked. Any posts not tagged with a Threadmark are considered not canon.

3) I'd like to mention the incredible Hail, Britannia and These Fair Shores threads for the inspiration and motivation they have given me to begin this project. Thanks a lot to their respective creators!​

Last edited:
    Biodiversity of Kerguelen: Flora and Fauna
  • Finally, a brief overview of the flora and fauna of Kerguelen. Thank you for you patience dear watchers!!
    (Please note that I'm not an expert in biology. However, I tried to make the biodiversity of Kerguelen as realistic as possible, while incuding all the species that I had in mind )
    7fV32Np.jpg

Last edited: