Victoria II

Didn't you get an invite to the Congo Conference?

Nope. It might be because I was at war with the UK at the time.

Oops, I see you already HAD the provinces! Not seen that before... Usually the Congo forms before life rating allows people's colonisation to get there

That's the other weird thing about this particular game. I had a 12 year head start for colonizing Africa. I got the techs as soon as was allowed and began colonizing in 1871. Nobody else even started until 1883.

I was playing as Germany and the same thing happened to me. So, I loaded my closest save and continued from there, saving often, delaying the decision over and over somehow, until the whole thing just didn't make a decision and I got to keep my Congo.

I thought about doing something like that, but I wasn't aware that the Congo Conference could NOT make a decision. I just figured it was a matter of losing it now or losing it later.

They should definitely make it so that the Congo event chain won't fire unless the whole thing is unowned. Now instead of one big chunk of Africa, I have two smaller chunks with a Congo in the middle. I'm going to re-direct my colonization efforts so that my two chunks meet up on the other side and make one (admittedly bizarre shaped) piece again.

Didn't you get an invite to the Congo Conference? It usually costs something like £10k to attend, and only those who attend have a chance at ending up with the Congo.

Of course, in OTL Belgium ended up running the Free State (sic) because each of the great powers was viewing it as a good deal to keep each other out. So, even if you had attended the Conference the other powers might have given their vote to someone else anyway, to keep you out

Not quite sure how the game mechanics handle deciding who exactly gets it, but have never seen it going to someone bordering it. Not infrequently the conference breaks up without deciding to give it to anyone (and everyone loses their money....who to I'm not sure!)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

It happened the same to me with a Liberian Superpower ( but SUPERpower ... I had about 7000 of military power and the 2nd was France with 1400 or so ) ... I couldn´t do nothing except reconquer MY STATES, they weren´t colonies but full states with about 1/5 of my industrial power ... It sucked big time, because everyone plus the dog declared war ... I think I sunk about 3000 ships on that war ... and lost about 1500 ... probably the most tough war I ever played in VicII ... in the original Vic though ... :rolleyes:

They were all still colonies for me, but I had cores on part of one of the territories. I'll probably take that one back since it's free, but the others aren't worth the infamy.

EDIT: Shoot, I forgot, since it is a satellite of the Netherlands, I have to "Free Puppet" on the Netherlands before I can do anything to it, right? Sigh, that sucks if that is the case.

I thought about doing something like that, but I wasn't aware that the Congo Conference could NOT make a decision. I just figured it was a matter of losing it now or losing it later.
Yeah neither did I, at first I was hoping it would be awarded to me, but it started postponing it. I kept loading the latest save every time it was awarded to someone until finally, it just never awarded it to anyone.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Bizarre Bug

Moving naval forces FROM Rio Grande (Tierra del Fuego) TO Puerto Deseado crashes the game. Only this - you can build naval forces there, you can move naval forces to them from anywhere else, you can move them from there to anywhere else, but moving from Rio Grande to Puerto Deseado crashes the game, and has happened twice now!

Also, WTF is up with French industry??? Letting the AI handle it, it shoots off to over 1000 by the 1840s. Playing it myself, even with low taxes, negative tarrifs and industry techs its about ONE TENTH this, which is insane. I can understand being maybe at 2/3 of what the AI can do, but 1/10 is surely a bug

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Also, WTF is up with French industry??? Letting the AI handle it, it shoots off to over 1000 by the 1840s. Playing it myself, even with low taxes, negative tarrifs and industry techs its about ONE TENTH this, which is insane. I can understand being maybe at 2/3 of what the AI can do, but 1/10 is surely a bug

I've never been sure how the AI gets their economy going like that to start with. My economy always lags behind everyone else's despite the fact that I usually have 0% taxes on the upper class, 80-100% negative tariffs with my lassiez faire system.

Moving naval forces FROM Rio Grande (Tierra del Fuego) TO Puerto Deseado crashes the game. Only this - you can build naval forces there, you can move naval forces to them from anywhere else, you can move them from there to anywhere else, but moving from Rio Grande to Puerto Deseado crashes the game, and has happened twice now!

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

France builds lots of factories that are good for its Resources in France, and not Cement Factories that mots poeple are used to building.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf
The AI is seriously cheating on industrialisation.

I've never been sure how the AI gets their economy going like that to start with. My economy always lags behind everyone else's despite the fact that I usually have 0% taxes on the upper class, 80-100% negative tariffs with my lassiez faire system.
You need to encourage Craftsman. To test this, as the US I encouraged Capitalists in New York, and Craftsman in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. My Taxes were low across the board, I had about a 10% tariff, and put the upmost priority on Industry. Massachusetts and Pennsylvania both had their Industries skyrocket, while New York hardly changed at all. When it became clear that Craftsmen were superior, I put encouraged Craftsmen in Ohio and New York, and after that their Factories begin to expand and become very profitable. I am not saying that you will become the #1 Industrial Power instantly, but it really helps.

You need to encourage Craftsman. To test this, as the US I encouraged Capitalists in New York, and Craftsman in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. My Taxes were low across the board, I had about a 10% tariff, and put the upmost priority on Industry. Massachusetts and Pennsylvania both had their Industries skyrocket, while New York hardly changed at all. When it became clear that Craftsmen were superior, I put encouraged Craftsmen in Ohio and New York, and after that their Factories begin to expand and become very profitable. I am not saying that you will become the #1 Industrial Power instantly, but it really helps.

Yeah, I usually use my national foci to encourage craftsmen on my most populous provinces. But that shouldn't be a requirement to get anywhere. The AIs use their NFs to colonize and are still able to stay ahead of me. If I change my NFs to anything except encourage craftsmen then my economy dies.

France builds lots of factories that are good for its Resources in France, and not Cement Factories that mots poeple are used to building.

And also IIRC you have penalties ( or the IA Bonuses ) with the difficulty settings so ... as yourworstnightmare said IA cheats ... a lot

Does anybody have any experience with decision modding? I just made one from scratch that is supposed to add USA cores to the Maritime Provinces... But It doesn't appear in game..

Grey Wolf

Donor
Interesting, I've always done one craftsmen NF and one for either capitalists or the timber industry (since sometimes construction of railroads seems to get held up without enough wood). I'd not thought of checking which were France's most populous provinces, just going by what seemed "right". I am guessing the Ile de France would be one. I usually end up with either Burgundy or Provence as another, but maybe Normandy or Artois would be a better bet?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Can you create new countries in vikky 2?

Read back a couple of pages to the discussions involving myself, and answers to those discussions including by Brian Roast Beef

The one thing that I can't make work is the flags. I can put them in the right folder, but I don't know if there is some definition document somewhere I need to tell that they are there?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

archaeogeek

Banned
Read back a couple of pages to the discussions involving myself, and answers to those discussions including by Brian Roast Beef

The one thing that I can't make work is the flags. I can put them in the right folder, but I don't know if there is some definition document somewhere I need to tell that they are there?

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

No, it just needs to be a 24-bit targa image with the three letter code for name put in the right folder. Using photoshop and a game flag for your canvas should work (I forget the flag size the game uses).

Grey Wolf

Donor
No, it just needs to be a 24-bit targa image with the three letter code for name put in the right folder. Using photoshop and a game flag for your canvas should work (I forget the flag size the game uses).

I borrowed some from someone else's mod for Syria to test, forcibly freed Syria (my mod) and it still had a white flag, rather than using the ones I had copied. I'll check they meet what you said above, is there a specific size in pixels or will they render down/up as required? Thanks

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

So I play France how can I have it become a democraty? I always feel weird to have it be a monarchy and there isn't even a way to make establish the second empire.:( I know for that I need Jacobins rebels but since the patch I never saw them organizing or revolt anymore.

Reactionary Revolution just turned my nice little South African Republic into the Kingdom of South Africa. Boers are above the British (there are more Boers than anything else), slavery is legal and the army jumped up to five times its normal size.