The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

Just a heads up: the borders of Libya, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen, Oman, and Northern Ireland have the same colors as the coastline, this can, and does, cause confusion.

Thanks, I'll fix that later today; I had to fix another area the other day and I'm confused how so many for missed given the way to went about doing it*.

*Manually coloring all the borders purple, removing everything but the borders then using a program to color all of them to the off-black.

Actually, I am kinda tempted to make a rectangular WorldA remake (I wasn't even in this site when the rectangular WorldA was a thing, but given my hatred of pseudocylindrical projections, I don't want to remake the current WorldA, so I think the rectangular WorldA would be the best analogue)
Though I am really worried about the high potential of it being completely useless, and I would like to hear your opinions on the subject
In order to not derail this thread any further, if you really want to contact me, then you can start a conversation here on this website
Note: Don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetic of the WorldA maps some of you folks produce, it's just my obsessions and perfectionism driving me towards trying to make a new one
I would absolutely use this over the present worlda, for the record, although I don't actually use the worlda that much anyways because of how small it is.

Just a heads up: the borders of Libya, Egypt, Sudan, South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Chad, Yemen, Oman, and Northern Ireland have the same colors as the coastline, this can, and does, cause confusion.

That should fix it; I updated the post with the updated version.

Usefull for showing the actual usable territory of big blob land empires like USA or Russia
While it's useful for showing population and to an extent, "usable territory", I don't think it represents actual control. Actual control should be determined by the capability of the state to intervene in any sort of problem in an area. So, basically, what I am saying is that actual control should be mapped using roads, the state's capability to establish routine and strict control via air or sea if roads aren't available.

While it's useful for showing population and to an extent, "usable territory", I don't think it represents actual control. Actual control should be determined by the capability of the state to intervene in any sort of problem in an area. So, basically, what I am saying is that actual control should be mapped using roads, the state's capability to establish routine and strict control via air or sea if roads aren't available.
well "usable" is maybe not the best word for what I mean. obviously a peopleless territory can be fully controlled by a state or even used for recorce extraction or things like that. iths just that there's basically *nothing* there. So it makes sense to make a distinction between for example land in canada (whitch is a large nation, but most of its territory is bearly usefull) ad for exampe german ( whitch was and is a strong nation, despite its comparatively small size) also the further you go back in time the more state controll gets limited to human settlements, to the point where there essentialy stops being a distinction. And another thing, the map essentialy shows areas that are less than hospitable, or rather suitable for agrarian settlement, so it could be used for mapping colonial ventures and such

1713284925430.png

I am making an Ultra-WorldA cover of this map by Boris, WIP
I only posted this very incomplete map to get some feedback from you folks, in particular about the coloring style (especially the use of grays to be neutral, and the use of colored subdivision borders)

View attachment 901382
I am making an Ultra-WorldA cover of this map by Boris, WIP
I only posted this very incomplete map to get some feedback from you folks, in particular about the coloring style (especially the use of grays to be neutral, and the use of colored subdivision borders)
Looks fine to me. I also just patched the Swahili Coast based on the R-QBAM:
1713304347104.png

Quick edit after a couple minutes: changed the upper Kenyan coast and slightly fixed Mafia Island + adjacent coast

Last edited:
Sorry yall, I couldn't find a good way to represent islands. Boxes are too subjective for my liking, and other solutions are insanely ugly for a small scale map like this. So well, I am not dropping this yet but it's kinda on hiatus I guess, until I find a solution.

View attachment 898690
here is what I've got done (independantly) on that front, since I've gotten hiperfixated on Bioregionalism lately
Aside from putting Lake Nicaragua on the wrong side of the Continental Divide (it drains east, not west) that's some solid work. I'm excited for what comes after.
Also, are you planning to make a full world map of river basins?

Last edited:
Also, are you planning to make a full world map of river basins?
Wasn't planning on it no, I made the map as a reference for a project centered on north america, so i had no need of the other continets. *Maaaybe* I'll do something in that direction someday? not making any promises though.

well thats annoying ://
ugh, guess I'll get to messing with the scaling then
1714120747801.png

Is this better? I think it's better.
At that point, we might as well start drawing the non-autonomous prefectures and cities
also that'd be cool, but most of the second level divisions are to tiny to represent on this scale and I don't really want to represent some and live others out (you could argue thats what I'm doing with the autonomous prefectures but at least they have a distinct legal status)

Last edited:
View attachment 902636
Is this better? I think it's better.

also that'd be cool, but most of the second level divisions are to tiny to represent on this scale and I don't really want to represent some and live others out (you could argue thats what I'm doing with the autonomous prefectures but at least they have a distinct legal status)

If you're showing them as different I'd suggest only using a different internal border colors while using a single national color as their autonomy is a legal fiction that never has and never will be real.

Ethopian 2nd level subdivisions.
Notes:
1. I used the Q-BAM as a reference.
2. I moved Lake Tana 1 pixel higher because it was more accurate that way.
3. I couldn't fit some of the smaller subdivisions, but this map still contains most of the subdivisions.

1714144907619.png