Interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense this is what results.
I rely heavily on Wiktionary and Jisho, the Encyclopedia of Korean Culture is new to me. This is not a historical period I know very well so it's good to know this stuff. Thanks.
It helps that a lot of times I can make things up for the sake of the story because nothing is known of a given figure beside his name in a geneology, which province he came from, and some idea of political strength based on the offices and ranks he or his close relatives held. We don't really know how well a lot of these people would have done in the situations which they very plausibly may have been cast into had things gone a little differently, and there's always the "luck" factor.

It's very interesting reading some of this stuff, and I think more people should step out of their comfort zone and do East Asian TLs, or otherwise do some interesting things with East Asia in their TLs since there's a lot of different figures to use.

It helps that a lot of times I can make things up for the sake of the story because nothing is known of a given figure beside his name in a geneology, which province he came from, and some idea of political strength based on the offices and ranks he or his close relatives held. We don't really know how well a lot of these people would have done in the situations which they very plausibly may have been cast into had things gone a little differently, and there's always the "luck" factor.
Ah, the perks of writing a TL in a relatively little-known and undercovered time and place...
It's very interesting reading some of this stuff, and I think more people should step out of their comfort zone and do East Asian TLs, or otherwise do some interesting things with East Asia in their TLs since there's a lot of different figures to use.
Agreed.

I wonder TTL effects of the Mongol Invasion on the Japanese Language... Cause, and in base to the info provided in the TTL situation and the more reasonable extrapolation/guesses, from it. So, I tend to think that while the Japanese Language 'unity/mutual intelligibility' wouldn't be appears to be possible that it'd be menaced.
But, (speculating, in base of general historical knowledge), perhaps the political events and the Empire division, would, IMO, if it will last enough, that eventually it'd make possible that even if both Japanese polities' political rulers and religious/cultural elites continued to share the current version of the Japanese prestige dialect. Both groups of speakers would slowly be evolving/growing apart, due to receiving different sociopolitical influences and also, linguistic ones, with their administrative and military centers be placed either in the far South. Or in the case of the Shogunate, IIRC, now, in Kamakura the ''warriors capital'', now aside from being flooded with the refugees, fleeing their former capital fall, now turned in the de Jure one of the Shogunate as well as the new residence of the legitimate Japanese Imperial Court.
Which, I'd suppose that, at middle to long term, would possibly influence both the regional dialects so as the main/prestige Japanese dialect spoken there.
Also, guessing 'd seem probable that, at middle term, in the KoJ case, if not to happen a linguistic drift, at least the different regional dialects and the strong foreign political influences to which the KoJ, would be subjected, would possible to make their dialects of Japanese (either regional or the common ones), TTL to develop/prestige different accents. Along with the linguistic ones might possible be a marked difference in vocabulary, between the Shogunate and the KoJ, with perhaps a steady influx of loanwords be introduced/entering, TTL via the latter, to the Japanese language.

Also, I wouldn't discard that in the KoJ, and perhaps, too in the front lines, more isolated areas, that due to the invasion, the mass conscription, the 'willing' or forced populations transfers/displacements.
And, especially to the Mongol tactics of total or partial population replacement and/or due to their heavy handed murderous punishment policies of indiscriminate repression and mass reprisals that some of the OTL Japanese dialects.Ones, whom that at this time would be being spoken in a reduced/limited area or characteristics of parts of a province or district, may be possible that some of them wouldn't be able to survive/continue their evolution.
On the other hand, in the areas either depopulated and/or with numerous foreign settler enclaves, may be possible that, the second or the third generations of them would be possible to develop some sort of pidgin or that a heavily accentuates Japanese non aristocratic dialect would evolve.
And. That if so, it'd be used among or by the more or less integrated descendants of the people brought there by the Mongols or that would have moved there along with the Yuan bureaucracy and army and/or with their vassals armies...

Last edited:
I wonder TTL effects of the Mongol Invasion on the Japanese Language... Cause, and in base to the info provided in the TTL situation and the more reasonable extrapolation/guesses, from it. So, I tend to think that while the Japanese Language 'unity/mutual intelligibility' wouldn't be appears to be possible that it'd be menaced.
But, (speculating, in base of general historical knowledge), perhaps the political events and the Empire division, would, IMO, if it will last enough, that eventually it'd make possible that even if both Japanese polities' political rulers and religious/cultural elites continued to share the current version of the Japanese prestige dialect. Both groups of speakers would slowly be evolving/growing apart, due to receiving different sociopolitical influences and also, linguistic ones, with their administrative and military centers be placed either in the far South. Or in the case of the Shogunate, IIRC, now, in Kamakura the ''warriors capital'', now aside from being flooded with the refugees, fleeing their former capital fall, now turned in the de Jure one of the Shogunate as well as the new residence of the legitimate Japanese Imperial Court.
Interesting thoughts here. There might be a big one regarding the reading of kanji. The tou-on (唐音) readings of kanji, one of the four on'yomi types, might be a lot more influential--OTL it is mostly associated with Kamakura era Buddhist traditions with a lot of Chinese influence like Zen. Hell, you might even see a fifth, gen-on (元音), which would specifically be the language of Yuan bureaucrats and monks. If it doesn't totally subsume the tou-on readings (which mostly reflect 10th-12th century Southern Song Chinese), then it might be used for a lot of terms reflecting Mongol society, from its religious/cultural diversity to its political structure to its technologies. Everything from the words used to translate Christian/Islamic terms (not sure how much existed in that era, however, since IIRC the current Chinese translations are post-Yuan) to terms related to distillation, firearms, accounting (i.e. the early double-entry sort used in Goryeo and Yuan) might be commonly read with the gen-on reading. I should probably stop, since this may be worthy of a larger post once I stop covering the military aspect.

Now the prestige dialect of course is still that of Kyoto (outside of things like some Buddhist schools), and both Kamakura and especially Hakata received a huge influx of court nobles, Kyoto merchants/artisans, etc. which would mitigate too great of a shift. The Kingdom of Japan really wants to relocate their court back to Kyoto for the legitimacy. Kamakura would be the one with more local influence since the elite of the Shogunate are all from Eastern Japan (and some clans like the Takeda and Nagai who gained power over a western province were dispatched from Eastern Japan). But at this phase there's still plenty of people who defect/try to defect to one side or the other that it's still fluid, and the common people in the province still speak their own local dialects.
Which, I'd suppose that, at middle to long term, would possibly influence both the regional dialects so as the main/prestige Japanese dialect spoken there.
Also, guessing 'd seem probable that, at middle term, in the KoJ case, if not to happen a linguistic drift, at least the different regional dialects and the strong foreign political influences to which the KoJ, would be subjected, would possible to make their dialects of Japanese (either regional or the common ones), TTL to develop/prestige different accents. Along with the linguistic ones might possible be a marked difference in vocabulary, between the Shogunate and the KoJ, with perhaps a steady influx of loanwords be introduced/entering, TTL via the latter, to the Japanese language.
I can see the gen-on readings I mentioned being much more common in Western Japan than Eastern Japan. But at this point, drift shouldn't be too bad. It took centuries in China to have the mandarins in the south be unintelligible to the central government, and currently in TTL in Japan only the eastern provinces are not united under said central government. The dialects of Kyoto and Kamakura are far more mutually intelligible than those of Kyushu which has a lot of dialectual diversity.
Also, I wouldn't discard that in the KoJ, and perhaps, too in the front lines, more isolated areas, that due to the invasion, the mass conscription, the 'willing' or forced populations transfers/displacements.
And, especially to the Mongol tactics of total or partial population replacement and/or due to their heavy handed murderous punishment policies of indiscriminate repression and mass reprisals that some of the OTL Japanese dialects.Ones, whom that at this time would be being spoken in a reduced/limited area or characteristics of parts of a province or district, may be possible that some of them wouldn't be able to survive/continue their evolution.
On the other hand, in the areas either depopulated and/or with numerous foreign settler enclaves, may be possible that, the second or the third generations of them would be possible to develop some sort of pidgin or that a heavily accentuates Japanese non aristocratic dialect would evolve.
And. That if so, it'd be used among or by the more or less integrated descendants of the people brought there by the Mongols or that would have moved there along with the Yuan bureaucracy and army and/or with their vassals armies...
That is certainly true. Even OTL there are enclaves of certain dialects in Japan related to old mass migrations. One of the more noteworthy ones is the similarities of the Tohoku dialect with the Izumo dialect which could indicate some segment of the Emishi being former elites of the Izumo state exiled by the Yamato in the very ancient past.

Obviously since Ezo/Hokkaido is settled far early than TTL, it's going to be an oddity. In the non-Ainu dominated areas, the mixture of refugees from the Tohoku (i.e. all the Miura-linked clans like the Ashina, the Igu Houjou after Nagasaki Enki purged them, or the pro-Mongol faction of the Andou), partially assimilated Ainu (both Ezo Ainu and Honshu Ainu) and Nivkh, deportees from Kyushu and Western Japan in general, Chinese and Koreans, etc. will breed its own uniqueness. That's something difficult to imagine, and one which would probably stabilise as something less exotic in the long term (like how northern Tohoku dialects aren't very Ainu despite the Ainu heritage of many speakers).

A pidgin kind of already exists--the native Japanese pronunciation of Chinese. I assume most educated medieval Japanese (monks and nobles) would know how to read Chinese characters in their "original" reading (like educated medieval Europeans knew Latin), which roughly approximates early Medieval Chinese. There are similarities to southern Chinese languages like Wu and especially Min, which are the areas where many Chinese soldiers, officers, and bureaucrats in Japan come from/were assigned to (as OTL). But I don't think it would be too widespread since not too many places have that sort of absolute depopulation AND mass resettlement. I did mention examples of wartorn provinces like TTL Aki Province where half the people died/fled by 1300 but I don't think that would cause people to speak some pidgin, rather, the new settlers/bureaucrats would use it with locals to administer the province.

Chapter 29-The Pirates Vanquished
-XXIX-
"The Pirates Vanquished"

Urado, Tosa Province, 1303​

The last of Nojima Hidetoki's strength left him as he finally could stop swimming, seeing a beach he knew in his heart was a place he might seek shelter. He breathed hard as he rose to his feet as waves crashed into him. At last he could see the shore! He stumbled toward it, approaching men who looked like warriors. He stumbled out of the surf, walking onto dry land at last before he collapsed, his breathing heavy, heart pumping like mad, and a great feeling of hunger and thirst burning in his stomach and mouth. A cool night breeze chilled him, for he wore nothing. I can't believe I made it! I am somehow still alive!

In his delirium, the waves still shook him, reminding him of the events earlier that day. At sunrise, his own crew threw him overboard to save their skins as Tamanoura Hajime and his men approached. That boy Tamanoura is going to raid Tosa and kill so many! I am sick of this war, and sick of being led by incompetents like him swayed by the invader's exaggerated promises! How stupid are my men for accepting that fool!

"Is he alive?" a voice nearby said. A man flipped him over and poked him gently.

"It's worth checking," an even closer voice said. Someone flipped him over and prodded at his face with the butt of a spear.

"I am," Hidetoki muttered, looking into the face of a soldier. "I-I need to warn you. I-I need to w-warn everyone..."

"Who are you, and where are you from?" the soldier asked.

"N-Nojima Hidetoki, captain of...former captain now," he replied. "Tamanoura...he's coming."

By now, a third warrior had come down, curious of the commotion and clearly having listened in on everyone.

"Tamanoura? Isn't he a pirate who serves the invader?" the man said. "Take this man to Lord Chousokabe at once, and ensure he is given clean robes, food, and water."

One soldier ran to the small seawall he stood at, retrieving a canteen of warm tea which Nojima readily chugged.

"Th-thank you, thank you so much," Hidetoki said as the men helped guide his beyond tired legs to a nearby building which by its walls seemed to be a fortified manor. He sat down on the floor, where a servant woman handed him a bowl of brown rice with bean sprouts in it, more tea, and a clean robe. Eating and drinking the humble meal immediately started restoring his vigour, and it took all the manners he learned at the Imperial Court so long ago to eat slowly and not beg his host for more. One of the soldiers went further into the building, and after some time before him stepped a samurai lord with a sword at his hip.

"I am Chousokabe Shigetaka, lord of Okou Castle, owner of Sokabe Township [1], and a vassal of the Shogun," the man introduced himself. "You are a guest of my vassal, Lord Urado, who is not present at the moment." [2]

"And I am Nojima Hidetoki, former swimming instructor of the imperial court who made many foolish choices in my life," he said with bitterness, realising he had spent over a decade serving the invader and their puppets.

"Swimming instructor? Yes, I suppose so, you washed up on the beach."

"South of Awaji, I was thrown overboard by my own crew, for they intended to hand me to the invader commander Tamanoura Hajime. Lord Tamanoura is a greedy, cruel youth who I cannot serve with a good conscience. He lacks any sense of the justice my former lord Sashi Kisou once held so many years ago."

"If they are that close to Tosa, why are they not here?" Chousokabe said, his eyes narrowed with suspicion.

"Oh no, they are not, Lord Chousokabe. The nearest shore to me was in Awa Province, but I could not be certain if it was occupied by the enemy. I did not even know if the shore of Tosa Province was likewise occupied, so I kept swimming west, past Cape Muroto, swimming even against the currents. My journey started at midday yesterday, and through the intervention of the gods my strength held out until now."

Chousokabe's eyes went wide at Hidetoki's feat of endurance. "Prepare this man a fine meal at once," Chousokabe demanded to a cook. "I suppose I ought expect as much from a man who served as swimming instructor to the imperial court."

"But it will be the last I swim should we fail here," Hidetoki said. "Tamanoura is coming. He has 20 ships and 3,000 men and seeks to devastate these coasts and pave the way for his master Lord Sashi or worse, another invasion of Lord Miura or Lord Shouni."

Chousokabe pondered the information.

"Your story seems compelling," Chousokabe said. "I will make you a commander in my army."

"A commander? My lord, I'm pretty useless these days when I'm not in the water," Hidetoki protested.

"I cannot trust you, for you speak of these men with honour and respect, and by your own admission you have served them for a long time," Chousokabe explained. Hidetoki's heart pounded once more as he feared a trap. In his days at court, he had seen men and women be poisoned by rivals in all sorts of ways. He vividly recalled a moment so many years ago when he saved a young boy from the water, the boy unable to swim for he had been poisoned by the legitimate wife of his father, a plot that would have succeeded for to all observers it would look like the boy simply drowned. Was Chousokabe going to do that to him?

"I-I am innocent!" Hidetoki cried. "I betrayed only a wicked man, not a man gracious enough to give me food, clothes, and shelter when I nearly perished!"

"In this age, we can trust no one," Chousokabe replied. "You must prove your trust through following my exact orders. You will lead a vanguard of men against this Tamanoura pirate, and you will strike directly at those men who once called you captain." Hidetoki thought of the prospect, having dined with those men countless times. Even after they tried to imprison him, no doubt some still trusted him.

"I will surely die from their skills as warriors," he said.

"They think you already are dead," Chousokabe replied. "'How can a ghost die again,' they will think, and in that moment my men shall strike."

Hidetoki thought of the plan, not liking any bit of it, but realised it was the only way to survive. I braved the terrors of the sea for two days, but now I must brave a far worse terror. Perhaps it is my punishment for denying both Emperor and Shogun.

---
Sangawa, Iyo Province, October 23, 1303​

Without hesitation, Ashikaga Sadauji plunged himself into the fray, his horse dashing into the shallow creek alongside hundreds of others. The black and white stripes of the Ashikaga clan's crest flew on every flag as he steeled himself for victory. His arrows soared into the chests and heads of the enemies with every shot as he turned about immediately before he plunged into the wall of invader spears. That was just our greeting.

The enemy seemed innumerable, but Sadauji didn't care. They were nothing more than archery targets for the veteran warriors of the Ashikaga clan, the first and foremost of the Seiwa Genji. Their own arrows seemed to miraculously miss and land all about Sadauji and his men, and they returned for another pass, showering the enemy once more. But although their men fell around them, they held their ranks tight and would not give Sadauji a beachhead on the other side of the creek. Sadauji's horse reared back as a few enemies drew too close, and his beast backed off following Sadauji shooting the offending spearman and other crushed beneath his horse's hooves. I do not want to lose this fine Mongol steed the Takeda clan gifted me. My clan does not have hundreds of these wonderful horses like they do, and I cannot afford suicidally mad charges in my battles.

As Sadauji pondered his options, his vassal Hatakeyama Yoshinari rode up beside him.

"My lord, the enemy has struck hard on our left and we can barely resist. Orders?"

"Keep resisting," Sadauji replied, trying to conceal his displeasure. Lord Hosokawa knows he has only a narrow window to make the greatest impact and that dictates his every move, but for him to give that little resistance toward an enemy thrust suggests matters are worse than I think.

"Lord Kawano or Lord Ogasawara will rescue our forces, won't he?" Hatakeyama asked.

"Never count on someone to rescue you in battle," Sadauji said. If the enemy is even remotely intelligent, they have already driven him off. "The strongest of us implicitly know that, as I am certain you do from your talent in past fights, Lord Hatakeyama. Ensure our horses return to our lines as we fight dismounted."

"Y-yes, my lord!" Hatakeyama answered, blowing on the shell trumpet. Sadauji himself raised his sword to the sky.

"Leave your horses behind, for we shall close ranks and fight shoulder to shoulder! None shall retreat until I give the orders! Cut down any man who dare flee, for we are advancing to victory!"

He loosed his final arrow into the head of an enemy cavalryman and leaped from his horse, smacking the beast to tell it to leave the battlefield. His armour sank him to his ankles in the mud of the creek, the water unpleasantly cold. Others followed his example as they leaped from their horses and started closing ranks around Sadauji.

"Hold fast! Lord Houjou and his thousands of warriors shall aid us soon!" he shouted. Perhaps Lord Houjou will, or perhaps he won't, but one thing is certain--all will remember the valour of the Ashikaga clan on this day.

---

Red waters lapped at Momonoi Sadayori's ankles as he cut down yet another enemy in his path. The hapless invader fell into the water, right on top of the previous man Momonoi killed and beside Sadayori's own horse, dead from countless arrow wounds. He smiled as the next man who tried to fight him hesitated for a moment before he struck down another man who tried to sneak up behind him. The man shrank back as Momonoi leaped at him and cut him down too.

Yet distressingly, he heard the sound of shell trumpets and calls to fall back.

"Retreat? Why are we retreating now?" Sadayori shouted to another senior Ashikaga vassal nearby him he knew as Niki Yoshikatsu.

"Lord Ashikaga demands it," Niki shouted as he struck down a spear-wielding invader man. "The battleplans have changed."

"I refuse! Until Lord Ashikaga himself tells me to leave, I will carry out my orders to the fullest--stand and fight, and cut down all who flee!" Sadayori said with triumph.

"Well said. Our master is a spear for the Shogun, and we are the head of the spear. A spearhead which shatters benefits none," Niki said.

Their allies around them seemed to agree, and a small group assembled around them. Sadayori recognised most as distant kinsman--it was likely Niki was surrounded by similar.

"When we reach the heavens above, I shall forgive all of you for taking any steps back!" Sadayori said to his troops. "Now let's stand together and fight!"

The horde of enemies around them seemed to be almost terrified of the few dozen or so men around Niki and Sadayori. They were the rearguard of the vanguard, ensuring none of these enemies might pass to harm the others. Dozens of foes were dying and the enemy was making no progress, even though arrows were now striking them.

As blood got in eye from the most recent enemy slain, Sadayori saw a distinct glimpse of potential in the distance--an invader in fine armour riding a wonderful horse, yelling at another finely dressed man beside him likewise mounted on horseback. Sadayori smirked--it seemed the battle was not going his way. I see we are winning. In his mind he guessed ten ranks of enemies stood in front of him, shoving on the meager force he and Niki commanded, but more and more enemies on horseback were assembling.

"Let us kill that man atop the horse!" Sadayori shouted. With Niki and a few others at his side, they charged forward into enemy ranks. A single arrow flew at the enemy, forcing him to raise his shield and alerting him to their presence. Sadayori struck at enemy after enemy, not letting himself be stopped by the occasional cut or even a sudden arrow wound in his arm.

"I am Momonoi Sadayori of the Ashikaga, and as a Seiwa Genji warrior of Kouzuke Province, I shall slay you now!" he yelled, practically leaping forward as the enemy commander charged with his cavalry. Sadayori dove out of the way as an enemy cavalryman's spear caught him in his thigh, but as he rolled on the ground he saw the enemy commander in armour about to ride past him.

With the last of his strength, Sadayori slashed at the leg of the enemy commander's horse, making the beast stumble to the ground instantly. To his everlasting joy, the enemy commander fell from the crippled horse in the most painful fashion and landed on his neck. Sadayori laughed, amazed he succeeded at his task. As he tried clawing him to his feet, the world suddenly vanished from him. Everything faded beside the eternal joy of victory.

---

The glaive of the enemy cavalryman struck across Shouni Kagetsune's face, bringing a sharp pain to his nose and blood spatter in his eye. His horse reared up at the foe before immediately falling to the ground--perhaps it was fortunate the beast did so, for the enemy's strike looked unblockable at his distance. Kagetsune rolled on the ground and sliced off the leg of the enemy's horse, knocking him to the ground. He stood up and to his contentment noticed his giant retainer Takanami Yorikage finishing the man with his spear before plunging it into another horseman.

"Lord Shouni, let's retreat!" Takanami shouted. "The enemy killed Lord Hata and we are nearly surrounded!" An enemy spearmen plunged his spear at Takanami, grazing his side despite his armour. Even with the fresh and bloody wound, Takanami still killed him as Kagetsune wiped the blood from his eyes and cut down another cavalryman.

"I can't do that! Not when the enemy is right here! If that bastard Miura doesn't retreat and I do, my future is gone!" Kagetsune replied. The enemy attacked seemed to be intensifying, and he noticed himself constantly taking steps back over dead men and horses. An arrow struck him in the arm and he nearly dropped his sword out of the pain, barely managing to impale his blade in the ribs of the enemy in front of him and extract it before another man swung at his neck.

The tall Takanami put his arm around Kagetsune and started dragging him, forcing Kagetsune to run to match his pace. He couldn't extract himself from the great hands and arms of his vassal. He felt sick to his stomach, the shame of defeat mingling with the pain from his wounds to make the bitter illness.

"Let me go, dammit! I must die here for my failure!"

"Not here, my lord! They will take your head! Your great-uncle will never permit that!"

Tch, my damn great-uncle, trying to play politics with my life like this. How can he understand the shame I feel now!

But Kagetsune understood the point. He struck down another charging enemy soldier and started running as fast as his legs might carry him.

"Fall back and regroup! Fall back and regroup!" he shouted, a man blowing on the shell trumpet to relay the order.

---
During the Banpou Invasion, the Mongols faced few difficulties greater than the invasion of the mountainous island of Shikoku. Fortifications seemingly guarded every mountain pass, and the local lords seemed impossible to sway to their side with promises of land and loot. Worst of all, the island never figured heavily into the strategic plans of senior Mongol commanders such as Nanghiyadai or Burilgitei--all they demanded was keeping the Japanese on the island unable to attack their supply lines. With their limited numbers of warriors, many inexperienced and with poor morale, the Mongols on Shikoku suffered a number of setbacks in 1302 and early 1303, and their commanders--Johanon (younger brother of the slain Ongud ruler Korguz), Miura Tokiaki, and Shouni Kagetsune--sought a decisive offensive to crush the resurgent Shogunate forces of the Iyo Tandai.

Noticing the Japanese concentrated in Sanuki and Awa, Miura Tokiaki tried once more to invade Tosa. He gained several hundred pirates from Sashi Kisou and along with his own resources, assembled a diversion fleet containing 3,000 men and 20 ships which he dispatched to raid the Tosa coast as he advanced. The fleet was commanded by Tamanoura Hajime (玉之浦元), a young Kyushu pirate [3].

This plan failed due to a defector from the fleet. Nojima Hidetoki (能島秀時), a captain within Sashi's fleet, tried warning the Japanese in exchange for a reward but Sashi's fleet caught up to his ship and his crew mutinied to spare themselves, throwing Nojima overboard. Although Nojima was almost sixty years old, in his youth he was known as one of the strongest swimmers in Japan [4]. He swam for an entire day, reaching shore and managing to warn Tosa's warriors of the impending threat.

Leaving Hosokawa and Yagi to deal with Miura's army, Chousokabe rushed to deal with the pirate raids. By the time he arrived in August 1303, pirates had already destroyed several temples and carried off hundreds into slavery. At the beach of Katsurahama, Chousokabe laid an ambush for Tamanoura and his pirates, using a small force led by Nojima as bait.

Nojima proved crucial in this Battle of Katsurahama, for the pirates believed him dead and thought they were seeing a ghost. Their lines quickly folded, with some even throwing down weapons and joining Nojima's forces on the spot. Those who did not surrender tried fleeing back to their ships, but Chousokabe mounted a swift attack that blocked their path, killing hundreds of pirates. The remainder surrendered alongside their ships, resulting in a stunning victory for the Japanese. Subsequently, Nojima allied with the powerful Kumano- suigun of Suzuki Shigezane and mounted numerous raids on Kingdom of Japan shipping, frustrating Miura's efforts further. Distracted with affairs in the region of Ise Bay, Sashi Kisou could do little to defend the supply ships against Suzuki and Nojima's attacks. Crucial supplies of horses and gunpowder dwindled.

Seeing problems mount on the mainland, Miura, Shouni, and Johanon attempted one final time to deal with the challenge facing them. They united their armies in Iyo and marched toward Einousan for yet another siege. However, their petition for reinforcements went unheeded--they received only 1,000 men under mingghan commander Anan Hidehisa, deputy military governor of Bungo Province. Thus after much attrition and defeats, the Mongols fielded only around 15,000 men. Most were Japanese, but a significant amount included Mongol, Chinese, and Turkic soldiers. The commander was Johanon, with his Mongol deputy Temurbuqa (帖木児不花) commanding the cavalry vanguard and Shouni and Miura leading Japanese forces on the right and left respectively [5].

The Shogunate noticed the Mongol attrition and the Iyo Tandai Houjou Muneyasu decided to commit all his forces. He rationalised there would be no better opportunity to defeat them, and in any case letting them choose Einousan as the battlefield would be disadvantageous. He raised 10,000 Japanese under the Iyo Tandai Houjou Muneyasu, with all Shikoku's prominent lords under them. Houjou led the force himself, leaving the deputy Iyo Tandai Houjou Tokihide (北条時秀) in charge of Einousan Castle with very few soldiers--Muneyasu viewed his kinsman as a glorified bureaucrat [6]. After Chousokabe united with them, they numbered 13,000.

Seeing battle inevitable, the Mongols and Kingdom of Japan forces took up defensive positions behind a small stream near the village of Sangawa (寒川町) in eastern Iyo Province on October 23, 1303. As per Houjou Muneyasu's aggressive strategy, Ashikaga Sadauji's vanguard of warriors from the Kanto charged their defenses. Temurbuqa's trained Mongol cavalry on the Mongol left dispersed the Shogunate cavalry under Kawano Michitada and struck Ashikaga's right flank and inflicted great losses, but Ashikaga refused to retreat. His strategy was to buy Houjou time to envelop the enemy using a fish-scale formation, an unconventional and risky tactic on the coastal plain [7].

Subsequently, Shouni Kagetsune attacked Ashikaga's left flank after he finished driving back warriors under Houjou Muneyasu and Chousokabe Shigetaka. Ashikaga's warriors bunched closer together to protect against being struck on all three sides, with some warriors fighting practically shoulder to shoulder. These small units proved sturdy against the enemy charges, but before long the enemy forced Ashikaga to retreat.

But some of Ashikaga's men, most notably a group of a few dozen samurai under his young retainers Momonoi Sadayori (桃井貞頼) and Niki Yoshikatsu (仁木義勝), continued to fight despite their leader fleeing. As enemy cavalry chased down Ashikaga's force and tried breaking the main lines of the Shogunate, Momonoi, managed to kill Johanon's horse as he passed by. The Mongol commander fell to the ground and shattered his neck.

Ashikaga's staunch resistance and above all the final stand of Momonoi and Niki unraveled the Mongol strategy. With Johanon's death, they mounted disorganised cavalry and infantry attacks and tried constantly to circle about the flanks and rear, but Muneyasu saw through this and let his cavalry conduct a feigned retreat. Muneyasu and his cavalry circled back around and enveloped the Mongol right, destroying many of them. Among these dead was the prominent defector Hata Kanekuni (波田兼国), military governor of Iwami Province since 1291. Shouni Kagetsune barely managed to escape this slaughter, losing his horse and suffering several wounds.

On the other hand, Miura Tokiaki had nearly succeeded in driving back the Shogunate right during this phase. Miura is said to have personally killed Chousokabe Shigetaka in a duel. Yet the critical loss of Johanon and the destruction of Shouni Kagetsune's troops denied him the ability to press further. Kawano's cavalry, the remnants of Ashikaga's vanguard, and the main body of Muneyasu's warriors relieved the flagging lines of the Japanese. Facing encirclement as the fish-scale strategy came to fruition, Miura gradually retreated from the battle, preserving the bulk of his men as he fled eastwards into Sanuki.

32HbtNv.jpg

Troop movements at the Battle of Sangawa

Sometimes called the Aonogahara of Shikoku, the Battle of Sangawa marked one of the Shogunate's greatest successes in the Banpou Invasion and a decisive turning point on Shikoku. Although several prominent leaders died alongside around 5,000 warriors of their army, the Shogunate drove off a numerically superior force and killed around 8,000 of them, slew a prominent Mongol general (crucially weakening the Ongud tribe in Yuan politics), and confined the enemy to Sanuki Province. Many Japanese survivors, especially those remaining from Hata Kanekuni's mingghan, defected back to the Shogunate in the aftermath.

fguN5ZW.png

The battle marked a costly, yet decisive victory for the Kamakura Shogunate, one of few during the Banpou Invasion

After resting for several days, Houjou Muneyasu pressed onward into Sanuki, skirmishing with Miura's force at every occasion. Miura proved hesitant to accept Houjou's challenge battle as he awaited reinforcements from Honshu and Kyushu. He would receive none, for Shouni Kagesuke blamed Miura for the defeat and accused him of trying to murder his heir. Even his father, the powerful cosigner Yorimori could not contravene Shouni's wishes. To salvage his reputation in Hakata and rally reinforcements himself, Miura returned to Kyushu, leaving the Japanese forces under Anan Hidehisa.

The sudden disorganisation and Miura's departure with elite forces proved disastrous. Houjou Muneyasu attacked and surprised Anan and his warriors as they camped by the Kunita River. Anan, who clashed with Johanon's successor Temurbuqa due to associating him with an irksome darughachi of his land, was unable to hold a coherent army together. It disintegrated with great losses and the remnants retreated to various castles. Anan himself committed suicide with the fall of one of these castles in September 1304. Because of these defeats as well as other challenges, in October, Nanghiyadai ordered all Mongol forces in Shikoku to abandon the island and join with Kim Heun's Goryeo army invading Shima Province. The invasion of Shikoku had ended.

Although the Japanese won, Shikoku lay in ruins. Hundreds of temples had been burnt and countless fields scourged. Sanuki and Iyo, which saw the brunt of the invasion and occupation, lost perhaps 1/3 of their population during the Banpou Invasion from violence, famine, and disease. Many had fled, even to Mongol-ruled land, simply out of a desire for survival. Additionally, the taxes and corvee levied by the Houjou clan for defense of the island and for it to continue supplying its crucial copper led to additional hardship. Even before 1304 ended, associations of do-ikki peasant rebels murdered several bureaucrats of the Iyo Tandai--Houjou Muneyasu ordered their village as well as a nearby one destroyed and all men killed.

Nagasaki Enki did not look favourably on Houjou Muneyasu. Due to his falling out with Muneyasu's broader family, Nagasaki sent Houjou Hisatoki's younger brother Houjou Takanori (北条高則) to Tosa so he might serve as a potential rival. To further ensure the balance of power and make amends to the increasingly powerful Ashikaga clan, Nagasaki even awarded Houjou land to his one-time Houjou enemy Ashikaga Sadauji in Sanuki as well as the rank of military governor, ensuring that province became a base of power for him and his more powerful vassals such as Hosokawa Kimiyori and Hatakeyama Yoshinari (畠山義生).

The Mongols periodically harassed Shikoku on several occasions even after their withdrawal in 1304, but these were limited to piratical raids or small-scale local enemies of Houjou Muneyasu allying with the Mongols. The practical effect of these battles amounted to the continued isolation of Shikoku from the rest of Japan and the consolidation of Houjou Muneyasu's power as he eliminated more and more rivals. By late 1304, the Mongols devoted all available strength toward their main goal--defeating the Shogunate's main army in the field so they might push forward and seize Kamakura to gain that final victory.

---
Author's notes

This is the conclusion to the Shikoku arc for now, where the Ashikaga clan gets to shine as they help lead the Houjou to victory. Yet the Mongols have moved their soldiers to Honshu, so by no means is the conflict over.

The next entry will focus on Mutsu and the Hokuriku, and then will be followed by what should be another very decisive chapter in this TL. Thank you for reading!

[1] - The Chousokabe clan took their name from a township called Sokabe in Tosa (now part of Nankoku, Kouchi Prefecture) which they owned, but another clan in Tosa had the same name so they added the kanji "長" (read "chou") before it to make "Chousokabe."
[2] - Fictional character and clan, but the site of Urado Castle in modern Kouchi, Kouchi Prefecture was fortified by the end of the Kamakura era. Presumably a branch of some local family could call themselves the "Urado clan" after the fortified manor they were given.
[4] - Hidetoki was a real figure and was seems to have more or less been a medieval Japanese swimming instructor, one skilled and prominent enough to be appear in official court records and one . "Nojima" appears to be a surname used by his kin--the record we have of him refers to him as Fujiwara no Hidetoki.
[3] - Fictional character, but presumably a son or grandson of the founder of the Tamenoura clan, one of many branches of the Matsuura clan. Single-kanji names were common among them
[5] - One of many Mongols by this name. In case you're wondering which, he is intended to be the son of Mangudai (忙兀台), a commander during the invasion of Southern Song--I honestly just picked a random Mongol commander and noticed a certain Mangudai who was active in coastal China, so his son likely would have been involved in the Japan campaigns both OTL and TTL
[6] - He was the head of the Karita Houjou, a very undistinguished branch descended from a low-ranking concubine, and held a minor court office and no known military governor posts (although he may have and records of this were lost). But given he was the only person in his clan known to hold any post, it's likely they were not very distinguished
[7] - The "fish-scale" formation was the common name given to a military formation in East Asia (although in Japan it wasn't as well-known until the 14th century and especially the Sengoku era). It was said to be risky to use on a plain where one risked encirclement.

Last edited:
Chousokabe's eyes went wide at Hidetoki's feat of endurance. "Prepare this man a fine meal at once," Chousokabe demanded to a cook. "I suppose I ought expect as much from a man who served as swimming instructor to the imperial court."
This plan failed due to a defector from the fleet. Nojima Hidetoki (能島秀時), a captain within Sashi's fleet, tried warning the Japanese in exchange for a reward but Sashi's fleet caught up to his ship and his crew mutinied to spare themselves, throwing Nojima overboard. Although Nojima was almost sixty years old, in his youth he was known as one of the strongest swimmers in Japan
This have the right elements for that it, at least in Shikoku, being in the future remembered or commemorated as an Japanese swimming version of Pheidippides, the Athenian Marathon runner...

Hidetoki's character arc is impressive enough that he could be compared to a shonen anime protagonist...
It feels "right" to have in the same Japanese heroic tradition of people who performed incredible feats i.e. Benkei. And it is vaguely plausible, since I did look at some of the records for "over 60" in terms of long distance open-water swimming and swimming that distance around that age in 36 hours or so seems feasible. Even OTL he seems rather legendary, like a lot of creators of martial arts. He apparently washed up on the shore of Yuan China in 1278, learned swimming techniques and the art of fighting while swimming from Chinese masters (the other component of his art, since a lot of premodern Japanese swimming had a martial arts component to it), and returned home where he was associated with pirates in the Inland Sea. Evidentally he had some connection to the Murakami clan (also pirates, who show up TTL) since they passed down his techniques . So he seems like someone who naturally TTL might have fallen in with the Yuan, made it to the imperial court in some form, and then defected when things got too irksome for him.

And if you're a skeptic, you can always assume that a fishing boat carried him part of the way (but maybe it sank, they had to throw him overboard again, etc) or that at times he took short breaks along the coast to rest his legs, drink water, eat whatever food he might find (i.e. wild berries) but needed to continue due to no one being around/potential of danger he had to keep swimming. I'm sure even TTL some would presume that.
This have the right elements for that it, at least in Shikoku, being in the future remembered or commemorated as an Japanese swimming version of Pheidippides, the Athenian Marathon runner...
Probably. One can imagine that it would be a popular legend that would inspire a tradition of long-distance swimming. I should probably make that canon. One can imagine a Cape Muroto to Katsurahama swimming race (roughly 70-80 km) being something for expert long-distance swimmers in the modern era, just as the comparatively easier swims across the English Channel are in Europe.

So another L for the Mongols. Brilliant description of the rivalry between Miura and Shouni clans.

Since we are talking about Shikoku, what about the native dog breed of the same name? Will we see Japanese dog breeds introduced to the rest of the world early??

Since we are talking about Shikoku, what about the native dog breed of the same name? Will we see Japanese dog breeds introduced to the rest of the world early??
Depends. They'd perhaps be thought of as exotic breeds some might take home, retaining their association with Japan. In Japan itself, they'd be thought of as meat by foreigners and perhaps certain breeds might be prized. Although a modern creation, the Tosa Inu (which is partly derived from the Shikoku Inu) is sometimes raised as a meat dog in Korea and China. Maybe meat dogs become an early export?

I should note it wouldn't just be a foreigner thing, since in the 14th century, dog meat consumption was rising as part of samurai culture compared to the more Buddhist vegetarian cuisine that dominated prior. The arrival of Chinese and Korean butchers (low-status, tabooed people--in Japan butchers seem to have been rare in this era) would only accelerate it. That doesn't mean everyone all of a sudden is going to eat dogs (fowl and game were more popular among the samurai, and court nobles rarely ate meat) or all the poor Shikoku Inu will go extinct because hungry Koreans/Chinese/samurai devour them, but unfortunately that's the main effect--affecting the sort of dogs used for meat in East Asia.

Sorry for dog lovers out there. This post took a morbid turn, but the average animal lived a far worse life in the past, moreso than the average person IMO.

Chapter 30-Uniting Forces
-XXX-
"Uniting Forces"

Tsuchizaki, Dewa Province, August 20, 1303​

Jirou gathered his belongings and threw them into a sack in rage. Bells rang all around the city, warning the citizens of danger, danger inflicted upon them by those who were supposed to protect them. What a cruel irony that it is our own soldiers who burn this city down and not the invader. What are they even defending us for?

Jirou's eldest son, the boy Tarou, stood blocking the door.

"Why are you still here, Tarou? Help protect your mother and younger brothers!" Jirou demanded, but Tarou shook his head.

"Ask them again, father!" Tarou implored, his eyes full of youthful vigour. He is at that age when he's no longer a boy, but lacks any of the maturity that comes with adulthood. "Teach that Houjou guy a lesson! You have the money to do it and you know all the lords who live around here!"

"I-I can't," Jirou said, even if his son's offer sounded tempting. "Look, you know we must never challenge the Shogun or his ministers."

"What about that guy from the Imperial Court you meet sometimes, the one who reports to the Grand Chancellor? Tell Houjou that you know him and how doing this will bring down the wrath of the court?"

"That guy from the court...oh, I know who you speak of." Jirou looked at the large, priceless vase too heavy to move, recalling just who gave him that. 'This is a gift from Lord Saionji himself,' the man had explained. 'Lord Saionji greatly appreciates your guild for your productivity and offers you this priceless reward.' He sighed, knowing such a vase would be condemned to the flames.

"Listen, the Houjou have never once cared for the court," Jirou replied. "But..." he looked at the sheen of the porcelain once more, the patterns incredibly intricate. From what he heard, it was a manufacture of the Song Dynasty from decades ago, before the invader destroyed it. Perhaps the maker of that vase faced this same dilemma all those decades ago. Perhaps something my own artisans made will one day be regarded the way I regard this vase.

The sentimentality gripped him, followed by the voice of a wise priest he once knew whispering through his ears. 'Everything is ephemeral,' it said. This city, this country, my life--all will perish one day and be born again anew. What do I have to lose by insisting that Lord Houjou does the right thing?

"But what? Father, I know you can convince him!" Tarou said with an encouraging smile.

"I get it," said Jirou. "Get back to your mother and brothers, I'm going to talk with that Houjou Koresada bastard."

"Thank you so much, father! I know you can do it!" Jirou dropped the sack of his belongings and embraced his son, sending him away as he took a deep breath and stepped outside into the steamy summer air.

The townspeople were mostly outside already, scurrying about as they tried making their final preparations. Jirou hoped it would be pointless once he finished. He walked up to an arrogant boy with a sword at his hip who stood watching the citizens and handed him a string of copper coins.

"Take me to Houjou Koresada. I demand an audience with him."

"You'll have to give me more than that," the warrior youth said. "Do you know who my father is?"

"I don't care who he is, unless he's Houjou Koresada. Take me to him at once, for this concerns the Imperial Court."

A few older warriors passed by, curious of the scene.

"Taking a bribe, Lord Kudou? You wouldn't want Sadasuke to hear about this, would you?" their leader laughed. The youthful warrior grew embarassed, dropping the coins at once [1].

"D-damn you, Date Motomune!" Kudou growled, before turning back to Jirou. He thrust the coins back into his hand and crossed his arms. "Fine, come this way. And thank me, Kudou Mitsuie, for doing his job."

Kudou led him through the streets, coming to the center of the city where warriors were running about gathering what seemed to be incendiaries. Leaking barrels of pitch, unlit torches, and all sorts of kindling sat in boxes, ready to burn the city down. In the center sat one warrior in a tent, a servant woman fanning him as he sat discussing matters with another general. To Jirou's surprise, the general seemed to be not much older than his son, perhaps 17-20 years of age if he had to guess.

"Oh chinjufu-shogun, a local artisan has demanded an audience with you. Lord Date has granted him the privilege," Kudou said.

"I see, Lord Kudou," the chinjufu-shogun replied, rising to his feet. "Did my men not tell you yesterday that my decision is final? I suggest you leave at once, for by sunset all but the area near the walls of this city shall be an inferno."

"I cannot, Lord Houjou," Jirou said. "As you are aware, I am a guild leader and I represent the woodworkers of this city and district. Our crafts are tribute solely for the Imperial Court, as requested by the eminent Grand Chancellor Lord Saionji Kinhira. I have dealt with many Grand Chancellors over the past twenty years, not least Lord Saionji Sanekane himself. To burn this city is to attack the Imperial Court itself, for the our crafts are essential to the workings of the Imperial Court."

Lord Houjou sighed, shaking his head.

"That would be true, should this be a time of peace. But this is a time of war, and we must do all we can to stop the enemy. If I did not burn Tsuchizaki and drive away its people, then its resources would belong to the invader. You would be forced to work for them, and your family deported far away. It is no different than cooking food--I am searing the outside so that the inside might bring flavor. The Imperial Court well understands these simple facts."

"You cannot be serious, my lord," Jirou started, irritated at the young lord before him who no doubt fancied himself as some eloquent genius, but then he noticed a messenger running up to Houjou and whispering something in his ear.

"I see we don't even have until sunset now. A shame. Burn the city at once, and make sure my horse is ready for battle."

Jirou's heart sank at those words, and without hesitation he walked over and blocked Houjou's path.

"My lord, please reconsider! If it is the enemy, then it will take some time to burn the city! Isn't it better to attack first and then set the fire, or hope the enemy's attack sets the fire anyway?"

Some of the warriors laughed as annoyance swept the face of the young chinjufu-shogun.

"You speak so boldly about war despite having never lifted a sword in your life. It is as if I claimed intricate knowledge of how your guild should operate. Now get out of my sight."

"What you're doing is defying the court!" Jirou shouted. But Houjou didn't reply, for he simply unsheathed his sword and sliced through Jirou's chest with a long, deep stroke. It burned and hurt as nothing else, and he fell to the ground in pain screaming. His own blood pooled around him.

"We could have removed him if you wanted," a warrior commented. "Would've been easier to clean this mess."

"It is necessary to teach these merchants and guildsmen a lesson. The actions of the Saionji seem to have emboldened them far too much," Houjou replied, his voice distant and faint against the sudden shock Jirou found himself in. "Anyone else who impedes us shall suffer the same fate."

D-did I die just because of Saionji Sanekane? The idea seemed insane to him, but he realised that was happening now. Tarou, I hope you can escape this alive and one day avenge me. Never foresake your craft, and never forget the injustice the Houjou have done.

---
Tobishima, Dewa Province, 1304​

The cold sea winds stung Shiba Muneuji's eyes, gusting snow in his face. It was just another day on this godforsaken spit of land in the sea, waiting here and watching the movements of the enemy. That damned Houjou Koresada is gonna keep me here for ages, isn't he! He looked about the village on the island, seeing it practically abandoned on a miserably windy day like this. The forested hills beyond the village loomed down on him--Muneuji wondered if his smoke signals could reach there on such a day should the worst happen.

Fortunately, he need not wait much longer--a boat on the grey sees broke the endless monotony bearing a banner Muneuji recognised as one used by the fleets of Hong Jung-hui, one of the enemy's naval leaders. That means this ship has sailed from Ezo or the northeast of the mainland--there's rarely warriors on board those. He lost almost a dozen men just a few days ago trying to seize a ship with a Yuan banner, and didn't even bother yesterday when a Yuan ship sailed through, deciding it was best to let a few enemy ships pass the island lest they grow suspicious.

The ship weighed anchor and a few of the crew hopped out to tie it to the pier, wearing strange colourful parkas and speaking a bizarre gurgling language to each other. Barbarian sailors like this were typical of Hong Jung-hui's ships, and Muneuji looked about for the captain, taking a deep breath as he prepared to greet him. At last the captain, a short man bundled up in typical Korean fashion, stepped out.

"You are...?" the man asked in Chinese.

"The garrison commander of this island," Muneuji answered. "Please, let your crew make themselves at home. The villagers will be around to assist momentarily."

"The commander himself greets me and not his servant? You seem too kind to suffer such an exile, I wonder who did that to you?"

"My family has their enemies, unfortunately," Muneuji said with bitterness, for he told no lie. Had that bastard Houjou Sadatoki not taken out his rage on my master Lord Ashikaga by sending his thugs after my father, I wouldn't have to be serving in Mutsu, and if I wasn't serving in Mutsu, I wouldn't be suffering this miserable weather here. "Anyway, let us unload that ship. You have sailed a long way on a miserable day like this."

Muneuji turned behind him.

"Unload, unload!" he shouted, coaxing some bundled up men out of their shelters. A few of them started lighting a fire while the others approached and climbed aboard the ship. Muneuji smiled at the speed in which his warriors took position.

"Why are those men lighting a fire?" the captain asked.

"It is a cold day," Muneuji replied. "Even just a bit of nearby warmth helps when you must unload a ship like this." The fire blazed to life and emitted a great plume of smoke, the signal for his reinforcements in the hills to prepare themselves should the worst happen. But it shouldn't this time. His warriors aboard the ship hadn't yet alerted him to anything, meaning Muneuji could do exactly as he needed.

He reached beneath his cloak and grabbed his blade, and in an instant unsheathed it and decapitated the poor ship captain before he knew what happened. The men by the fire joined him in surrounding the crew of the ship. Beside a handful of Korean and Chinese men who resisted and whose corpses were thrown overboard, the crew surrendered at once. Twenty barbarian men marched out of the ship, hands above their heads.

"Listen up!" Muneuji shouted. "You and your vessel are now under the control and the authority of the Shogun! If you do not agree to this, speak now!" One barbarian raised his hand, and at once one of Muneuji's warriors cut him down. The others recoiled, but said nothing.

"Good! Welcome to serving a more just government! You will be treated as fairly as can be." He looked to the man who stormed the ship, a young samurai--and important Ashikaga ally--by the name Uesugi Norifusa [2]. "Well done, Lord Uesugi."

"My pleasure, Lord Shiba," the man replied. "The ship seems loaded with goods. It's a wonder it didn't sink."

"Perfect. Distribute what we can spare to the villages of this island and send the rest to our men in Dewa. Get your older brother to captain the ship, report to Lord Houjou, and make sure these men make it there." He glanced toward the barbarian crew, a glance that made some of them nervous. They have every right to be afraid--none of them will ever see the coast again since the invader must never know what we are doing here.

"As you wish, Lord Shiba." A sudden shift of winds blew smoke in his eyes and lungs, and Muneuji coughed. If only I were free of this miserable island. He imagined taking one of these cargo ships and roughing up an invader base on the shore by himself, but shook his head--he had to carry out his mission to his fullest, and for now, that was not part of it. No doubt once he fulfilled his assigned duties, Lord Houjou would let him cut loose on as many enemies as he wished.

---
Kinowanoki, Dewa Province, 1304​

What seemed a daily event commenced again. As usual, Taxiala and his chief lieutenant Yangwuludai sat on the mat in front of the elderly Japanese lord Daihouji Akiuji, the building so warm compared to the cold spring day outside. Taxiala greeted Lord Daihouji and his entourage kindly, still holding out hope they'd commit to joining him. Daihouji eyed the entourage around Taxiala careful, hobbling on his cane as he sat down.

"How curious, we have been doing this all winter, yet you still take all of these armed men with you," Daihouji complained. "Why, it seems there's even more than before today!"

"I assure you, Lord Daihouji, that is not the case," Yangwuludai said. "We trust you as a good ally, for your kinsman Shouni Kagesuke is among our oldest and most loyal servants in this land."

"Ah, Lord Shouni, if only he shared some of his prosperity with us!" Daihouji laughed, gesturing with his maimed arm. Taxiala knew not to ask him about that--Daihouji would go on and on about how the Houjou clan imprisoned and tortured him for years and years before restoring him to his lands due to his great-great-grandfather also being the great-grandfather of Shouni Kagesuke.

"He will gladly do so should his kinsman return to serving him," Taxiala said. "Or perhaps he may end up serving you one day. The Son of Heaven reward those who serve him to the fullest. It is not like this country where your position has been determined by your family."

"Ha! Kagesuke is an old man, and I am even older. He'll only end up serving me in the afterlife...at least that's what the monks I know say."

A servant brought in food and drink, and the group continued talking, but Taxiala was disappointed with the conversation. How many dozens of meetings have I had with this man, and how many times has he refused my request to join forces? Lord Daihouji is fortunate that I do not dare move my armies in this season when the snow is so deep, and he must know that come the spring I will thoroughly destroy him should he not make a wise decision.

An aide walked in, kneeling before Daihouji and whispering something into his ear. The smile immediately vanished from his face, replaced by one of frustration and shock.

"How dare you betray me like that! I will never, ever join those who use such underhanded methods!" he shouted, jabbing his cane right into Taxiala's chest. One guard drew his sword, but Taxiala raised his hand to stop him from going further. Taxiala couldn't fathom what was going on.

"What happened, Lord Daihouji? We use no underhand--"

"You attacked my manor! You treat me as a guest for months and months in your base, just so you might do something so duplicitous! Damn you, invader!" The elderly Daihouji hobbled to his feet and drew a sword, followed by the other warriors in his entourage. Taxiala stood up as well, shaking his head.

"Before you strike me, I demand to know what happened. I am commander of only one of the Great Khan's army," Taxiala said, his hand on his own sword.

"Your ship sent fifty pirates to our manor, and they destroyed two villages, abducted several women and children, and killed Lord Akiuji's heir and his son," one of Daihouji's warriors answered. Taxiala looked at Yangwuludai, who likewise seemed just as shocked at the sudden change of demeanor.

"I am certain this is a mistake, the actions of a raider who attacked the wrong estate. If you simply pledge allegiance to the Son of Heaven, we can restore you all the property and more. You will become--"

"Enough!" Daihouji shouted. "Even if had nothing to do with it, it is only proof of the ineptitude of your nation! I have nothing more to say with you, but that I myself WILL personally see you on the battlefield." He stormed out the door, his cane angrily pounding the floor of the room as his warriors menacingly glared at Taxiala. Taxiala sighed, incredibly disappointed it came to this.

"This is not a battlefield of your own choosing, Lord Daihouji," Taxiala growled. "Kill his warriors, but imprison Lord Daihouji so his kinsman might deal with him." He took a step back, dodging the thrust of a Japanese warrior with a long spear. Taxiala leaned forward and sliced the man's arm off at once. A few men seemed incredibly brave and kept fighting no matter their wounds, eager to kill or maim Taxiala and Yangwuludai, but they were soon cut down. The rest fled, no doubt to aid Daihouji's escape, or cause havoc somewhere else given the cloud of smoke rising from the building next door.

"How frustrating," Taxiala complained to Yangwuludai. "Just who did this?" Taxiala wondered just which force might be responsible. The Yuan infrequently send fleets this far north, and they are all well-behaved. It must be the fleet of Hong Jung-hui, or perhaps the Ezo Shogun's fleet. Or...

Another thought arose in Taxiala's mind--enemy deception. But did the enemy truly have commanders capable of that? If they did, then certainly he would not have advanced this far. Taxiala hoped not, lest his job become far more difficult.

---
Asahiyama, Dewa Province, March 31, 1304​

Ashina Morimune sat on his horse watching the battle, waiting for the right moment. On this plain covered in patches of snow beneath the white hills, things had not gone well so far, and he cursed his inability to persuade the Mongol leadership to not be so hasty in pursuit of the enemy. They're far more mobile than I thought, and their cavalry more disciplined than I believed. Retreat was the only thing I could do.

A young messenger rode up, banner of the Houjou behind him. Morimune almost drew his blade on instinct--even if it had been over 30 months ago the Igu Houjou joined their side, and the Igu added a circle to the three triangles of the Houjou, he still could never tame that instinct [3].

"Lord Ashina, please commit your warriors," the boy implored. "Lord Yangwuludai has used my clan and so many other loyal Japanese as shields to protect against losses as the enemy encircles him. My father Tokitaka has already suffered many wounds." Morimune sighed, knowing he could do nothing.

"Curse your misfortune then, Igu Takaari," Morimune said. "If the order is not from Taxiala or Yangwuludai, I will continue doing as I am doing--skirmishing with the enemy as I wait for them to exhaust themselves." And no doubt they will--they've been running from us all day.

"Father, if we lose Lord Igu, then we will have lost a good ally," his son Morikazu came over, having overheard the conversation.

"Lord Igu is out there proving his devotion to our cause," Morimune replied. "There is no quicker way to find a reliable ally than a swim through a sea of steel under a rain of blood. Always remember that."

"Those are my cousins dying!" Igu protested. "Those are men loyal to us who--!"

"We are not the same, Igu Takaari. Your clan was content to sit back and enjoy the fruits of our nation as stolen by the rest of you Houjou, until it became your turn to be severed from the branch, as it was for my clan many years ago. Right now the Igu warriors are proving to me that they will not simply return should the latest Houjou tyranny come to an end. They must fight and win and build themselves a new place to return to, as we of the Miura did," he explained to a fretful Igu Takaari. "You must build this place as well, boy," he added, glancing at his son.

"Y-yes, father," Morikazu said. Suddenly an arrow from afar landed at his son's feet, a sure sign the enemy was getting overtly aggressive. Morimune smirked--the time was coming soon. As he thought of ways to organise the warriors under his command, mostly Japanese with a smattering of Chinese, Ainu, and Jiliemi tribesmen from the mainland, a messenger rode up to him, an Ainu youth of the Hinomoto clan.

"My lord, the enemy is charging our lines now!" he said.

"Good work, Motomura," Morimune said.

"Motonari," the Ainu youth corrected. "Father sent me here to follow my two older brothers and get experience in battle."

"Ah, my apologies. I pray you serve me in battle as well as they have, for I shall give you the finest experience," Morimune said, taking his bow from his back. "Send word we will regroup and at once charge and strike their right flank. That will end this battle and pay them back for what they've done." Even as he said that, he hoped it wouldn't end the battle. If the enemy commander is foolish enough, he might choose to counterattack my men, which will surely result in our other men enveloping his warriors.

He mounted his horse and rode off, noise of the shell trumpets erupting as rode into the fray and fired an arrow to the sky, praying it landed in the skull of a distant enemy.

"Ride forth, crush the enemy, and demonstrate to our foreign commanders the martial bravery of the Japanese!" he shouted.

---
Echigo Province, 1304​

Chonghur sat in a provincial manor with several of his subordinates, among them his son El Temur. Ample amounts of rice wine, brought in from China and local to Japan, sat in vases around them, and small plates of prawns, lamb, many fine vegetables, and other food had been prepared. Such a small, impromptu feast made a good way to burn off the tension of hunting the enemy force, wherever they may be, for with the supply issues as of late, none of these men would get a chance to eat this well for weeks.

He looked at one of his mingghan commanders, the warrior Ikiretei, who earlier that day had been in the vicinity of the port the fleet had been ordered to attack. The combined land-sea attack would have readily overcame whatever sorry garrison the Japanese raised.

"Ikiretei, tell us exploits of your recent victory," Chonghur said. But Ikiretei seemed crestfallen, unwilling to speak. His son El Temur keenly noticed this, and grabbed Ikiretei's shoulder.

"My father is a patient man, but even his patience wears out. Please tell us of your successes...or your failures," he taunted. Ikiritei hesitated, but then immediately genuflected before Chonghur.

"Lord Chonghur, they defeated me!" he mourned, digging his forehead into the mat on the floor. "Smoke rose from the harbour, so I approached the city to give battle, but enemy warriors on the walls killed half of my warriors. To my dismay I learned that the enemy brought thousands of men to that city and drove off the ships of Lord Yighmish! Oh, how foolish was I to do battle without knowing the situation!"

Chonghur shook his head and sighed. Tch, we fell too far behind them. The enemy had clearly knew how to do a scorched-earth campaign given the caution it inspired in him. Had he advanced further, anything might have happened--perhaps he would have won a decisive battle against a far outnumbered enemy, or perhaps he could have taken Naoetsu at the cost of being encircled himself, or perhaps he would have simply ran into defeat.

"A cornered fox bites back," noted El Temur. "Yet it's bite is rarely a problem as long as the hunter refuses to flinch. And this hunter not only will refuse to flinch, he will finish the kill with the most artistic flair and bring glory to his household."

"Save the comments for later," Chonghur chided his son. "We should celebrate our success tonight, but keep in mind the dire task we have at hand." He raised a porcelain cup of rice wine, "To the coming success of our soldiers." His men toasted their success and Chonghur drank the wine, the news gnawing at the corners of his head. We could cut off the advance of those 5,000 men, but we would leave our flanks vulnerable. This will be something I must discuss with them.

Another commander suddenly stepped through the door, bowing before him. The buzz in the room from the generals quieted, for Khur-Toda had not even changed out of his armour worn by the elite of the kheshig.

"Khur-Toda, why are you late?" Chonghur criticised. "Did I not tell you before you left we would be having this feast here tonight?" He took a bite of the deliciously prepared lamb, washing it down with more liquor.

"I rode here as fast as possible to warn you personally--a messenger sent from Taxiala's army reports the enemy in the far north is moving south to unite with the enemy before us, for they defeated Taxiala's army. Thousands are dead, and I fear their forces there are moving south."

This report sufficiently disturbed Chonghur, so much he dropped his cup of rice wine.

"What did you say!? Th-that...!" His brain scrambled at the implications of it--he would now be outnumbered and deep in enemy territory, the perfect victim of their scorched earth strategy.

"What we planned to do to their capital, they will do to our army," muttered El Temur. He ate a single bite of food and rose to his feet. "I must prepare for this."

"Don't leave now," Chonghur demanded. "I need all the wise minds in my forces to figure out our next course of action."

"I agree with Lord El Temur. We give away the food and rice wine to nearby villagers, eat light, and we leave as soon as possible," Ikiretei suggested. Chonghur narrowed his eyes. He wants an opportunity to restore his honor. The other men in the room looked at each other, disappointed they might not get to eat, while one more boorish Mongol officer simply started stuffing his face.

To Chonghur's irritation, the meeting couldn't even begin when another messenger walked in the door, bowing before them.

"My lord, Matsuura Sadamu wishes to speak to you," the visiting messenger said. Tch, that damn pirate hears everything. Chonghur didn't even need to know what it was about. I am truly cursed to have to deal with this nonsense. If that pirate wants gold so badly, I'll crush his windpipe with a brick of gold.

"I don't wish to speak to him," Chonghur growled. "Behead his messengers, and tell Yighmish and Chu Ding a chance to regain their honour has emerged."

---
Tsubata, Kaga Province, October 15, 1304​

The dozens of Japanese horse archers behind El Temur and his men tailed him like wild animals, oblivious to their exhaustion, their weakness, or anything but the thrill of the hunt. You may outwit my father, but never for long. Adrenaline pulsed through him, for before his eyes he saw the Japanese advancing into the same tactic that won the empire of the Great Khan countless battles in history--it was one thing to hear the stories from his elders and tutors, but an entirely different matter to lead the effort himself. Arrows shot by either side flew past him, his own men deliberately constraining their return fire to give the impression of their retreat in the face of superior numbers.

One of the hundreds, if not thousands of horseman running from the Japanese rode toward him, his armour and standard marking him as the kheshig commander Khur-Toda.

"It's about time now, Lord El Temur!" he shouted. "They're about exhausted, and we need to support the main attack!"

"Let's do it! Fire the signals!" El Temur yelled back. With the dexterity of a lifetime of practice, he turned around on his horse and lit a smoldering torch attached to his arrow, just as Khur-Toda was doing. The two fire arrows shot in a great arc so all could see, each hitting men riding toward the rear of the Japanese horsemen. Shortly after, five loud bursts of gunpowder sounded as explosive arrows whizzed past them, bursting into flames and smoke right in front of the Japanese--this one startled them and gave time for the two cavalry to circle around. El Temur and Khur-Toda went separate ways, their horsemen following--now was the time to strike.

His leading cavalry broke through Japanese lines, making easy and simple shots with their bows as the enemy stopped and began moving about as a swarm of sparrows fleeing a falcon. They became nothing but barely moving targets, confused as to whether keep shooting or retreat. As El Temur and his men passed by, he kept firing and firing, nearly emptying his quiver of arrows.

He reflected on their incredibly foolishness--how foolish do you have to be to chase an enemy for weeks and weeks like this? Were they that desperate to reconquer their own territory that they fell into an obvious trap? And to think that he worried for a moment about what might happen if the enemy joined their two armies like that!

El Temur drew his sword, urging his men forward. Not far behind these cavalry painfully out of position were infantry columns similarly misplaced, and by the sight of distant banners it seemed as if elements of the Mongol army already made contact. With his blade he motioned for his troops to spread out to give the maximum psychological impact. Khur-Toda and our reserve will destroy these cavalry and any stragglers, leaving myself and our two main forces to annihilate the rest. Father's strategy has succeeded...at least assuming their generals haven't caught on. That last part El Temur remained uncertain about--to wage such an infuriating scorched earth campaign, to outwit them with that ambush at Naoetsu, to have defeated Lord Taxiala, all of that took considerable talent he was certain the enemy had.

Regardless, as he fired an arrow high into the sky toward the main Japanese army that now seemed desperately trying to reorganise, El Temur felt a sense of achievement. After the disasters the previous year and earlier this year, after the endless frustration of inconclusive skirmishes, after that irksome feeling of abandoning land they conquered, after learning that it would be some time before he could finally march victorious into the enemy's second capital, he had won a great victory.

---​

The repercussions from the Battle of Aonogahara spread throughout Japan, and the far north was no exception. Shogunate resistance stiffened and Takeda Nobumune, son and heir of Takeda Tokitsuna, gained the allegiance of hundreds of warriors alongside Takeda's older brother Tokihira. Yet by no means were the Mongols finished for their advance through Dewa Province continued every day. With the successes the Mongols had in the Hokuriku, the threat of the two Mongol forces linking up seemed more and more probable.

The Siege of Wakimoto Castle continued throughout the spring of 1303 due to staunch resistance of its elderly lord Kudou Sukemitsu and his nephew who led warriors harrying Mongol lines. Perhaps because the Mongols could not capture this fortress inspired defection of several Ezo Shogunate warriors and even an entire rebellion in their rear led by Soga Yasumitsu.

Soga Yasumitsu ranks among the most notorious opportunists of the Japanese in this era, perhaps almost as famous for that as his ancestor was for his epic story of revenge [4]. He expertly used the Mongols to eliminate rivals within his clan, destroy their fortresses, and acquire their property. He demanded more resources in spring 1303 to repair Daikou-ji Fortress, but this was rejected. Instead, Soga raised an army and began harassing Mongol supply lines.

Hunting down Soga Yasumitsu proved a difficult task. Although many of his warriors were mere peasant soldiers pressed into battle, they knew the land well. Further, Soga controlled a growing network of fortified castles he spent the autumn and winter of 1302 and 1303 repairing. Mongol control in parts of Dewa and Mutsu slipped away and threatened the supply situation.

Wakimoto Castle fell in late May 1303--Kudou Sukemitsu and all inside died, and the Mongols immediately pressed southward to capture the port city of Tsuchizaki, Dewa's most important settlement [5]. The Jurchen officer Fanca had much success against Soga's forces, rendering him unable to aid the Shogunate cause. What seemed like a reversal of fortune faded as the Mongol advance regained its vigour.

A series of skirmishes broke out that summer as the Mongols sought to pin down Houjou Koresada's army, but advised by Date Motomune and Takeda Nobumune, Houjou resisted giving battle. Houjou aimed to constrain their raids through constant deployment of small units to burn Mongol supplies and keep them off balance. Success remained mixed--the veteran Mongol soldiers often defeated the freshly-recruited Shogunate forces, but they were limited in the damage they might inflict.

The Shogunate centered their defense of Tsuchizaki on the great fortress of Akita Castle. An old Nara era fortress built over 300 years prior and abandoned by the 12th century, the Houjou clan renovated the site after 1285. Most surprisingly, Nagasaki Enki named Adachi Tokiaki (安達時顕) as the castle's commander. Grand-nephew of the purged minister Adachi Yasumori, Tokiaki was saved as an infant only by the generosity of factions within the Houjou clan. Since he came of age in 1297, Houjou Sadatoki had him sent away to the battlefield where he spent much time fighting in Ezo and Mutsu. It seems Nagasaki Enki favoured him, and as a result Adachi became commander of Akita Castle in early 1303 [6].

Adachi brought with him humility and tenacity in equal amounts to his post. He understood well the needs of local lords and wealthy peasants and was one who refused to give up in adhering to his defensive operations. He proved a deadly opponent to the Mongols who raided in the area around Akita Castle and Tsuchizaki, killing hundreds of raiders over the course of summer 1303.

Mongol commander Taxiala endeavoured to crush them in a single campaign. Fearing his losses would be too high if he took Akita Castle, he left a small detatchment to menace the castle and aimed his army directly at the port of Tsuchizaki, summoning Hong Jong-hui's fleet so he might strike by sea as well. Yet even these meager city walls proved effective enough to delay the Mongol army's entry into the city long enough for the main Shogunate army to arrive led by the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada. The Mongols temporarily retreated, letting Houjou hide within the city.

On August 20, Houjou ordered an immediate attack on the Mongol force, splitting his force in two. One group under Kudou Sadasuke attacked from outside the city while the other under Houjou and Yuuki Munehiro struck from inside. The Mongols were disoriented momentarily and withdrew, but returned in force hours later upon hearing of the arrival of Hong Jung-gui's fleet using disguised Ainu ships laden with bomb throwing soldiers.

Houjou made the immediate decision to abandon Tsuchizaki. He forced the residents from their homes and ordered them to leave at once with everything they might carry. After a fierce counterattack that drove back Hong's vanguard, the docks were burnt along with many valuable supplies. Tsuchizaki was left in ruins not by the Mongols, but by the Shogunate--it is said that Houjou was forced to kill several prominent citizens of the city for attempting to impede his plan and that some male citizens turned away and joined the Mongol force instead of retreat. Destroying the city made Houjou--and by extension the Shogunate as a whole--deeply unpopular in that region of Dewa.

Regardless, the Battle of Tsuchizaki was a strategic victory for the Shogunate for the Mongols took more casualties, were denied both supplies and a populace, and could hardly even use Tsuchizaki as a port for weeks. As for the detatchment around Akita Castle, Adachi's force thoroughly destroyed them with Hinomoto himself being among the few survivors.

As autumn approached, Taxiala understood he was being bogged down in the north and needed to unite at once. In September, he heard the encouraging news of Chonghur's victory in the Hokuriku at Uchiyama Pass some 450 kilometers south and abandoned the effort to take Akita Castle. His forces conducted well-timed feints on the castle that let his army bypass the fortress. Taxiala's warriors raided deep into Dewa Province, securing food for their march and causing much havoc, but the main army only advanced along the coast out of fear of attacks on their supply lines. On October 3, they destroyed a powerful branch of the Oi clan in Yuri District north of Mount Choukai in central Dewa. Meanwhile, the Mongols in Etchuu were advancing fast, and news arrived that Japanese resistance had crumbled in the Hokuriku (in truth they had simply withdrawn in a scorched earth campaign). Taxiala's pace only quickened, but early snows slowed his advance.

The speed of the Mongol advance resulted in the capture of the old provincial capital of southern Dewa at Kinowanoki (城輪柵) [7], where Taxiala spent the winter. There he spent much time negotiating with the elderly noble Daihouji Akiuji (大宝寺秋氏), a powerful local noble who was Shouni Kagesuke's third cousin once-removed. As close kin to the Shouni clan, the Daihouji clan suffered some persecution in the years since Shouni's defection which gave Taxiala hope they might join him.

Houjou Koresada did not panic. Understanding Akita Castle was now useless, he evacuated its garrison and added it to his force and took a route through interior Dewa Province, braving deep snows and occasionally hostile pro-Mongol lords. News he destroyed these pro-Mongol bandits reached the ears of Taxiala--and Daihouji. Further, Houjou committed to a daring plan--seizing the small island of Tobishima in the depths of winter to control an important logistical base.

It was a small expedition. Shiba Muneuji (斯波宗氏), son of an Ashikaga retainer executed by Houjou Sadatoki, was to lead 100 soldiers disguised as fishermen to destroy the Mongol supplies and docks and liberate the local population. Braving frigid seas, Shiba succeeded in infiltrating the island, burning a dozen Mongol ships, and killing dozens of their soldiers. To his surprise however, the island's populace had vanished, replaced entirely by Alans and Turks resettled from Central Asia. Shiba infamously imprisoned all the children of the island in the local shrine to ensure their parents did not reveal the presence of his men where many died of illness, exposure, or starvation, the origins of a famous ghost story.

Regardless, the Tobishima expedition was a success. Shiba's men posed as Mongol soldiers and intercepted many supplies for themselves whilst monitoring Mongol operations in the Sea of Japan. Come the spring on March 24, 1304, Shiba executed another successful deception operation--he took a Mongol ship and fifty men and raided the main base of the Daihouji clan at Oizumi Manor (大泉荘). Among the victims was Daihouji Nagamori (大宝寺長盛), eldest son and heir of Akiuji. The elder Daihouji was horrified at the Mongol betrayal and derided Taxiala's attempts to blame a rogue element among his force. Daihouji raised a few hundred men for war and united with Houjou Koresada for an attack on the Mongols.

With negotiations broken down and the deep snows clearing, Taxiala once again set out south in tandem with Chonghur's own attacks on Etchuu and Echigo. But Houjou Koresada was fast upon him and drove his army across the mountains on a little used trail to appear suddenly on the coastal plain. On March 31, 1304, Taxiala attacked his army, possessing the numerical advantage with 13,000 men to Houjou's 12,000, but Houjou started a retreat that lasted several hours as he fled back to the mountains. There at the foot of a hill called Asahiyama, Houjou finally turned his army about and struck directly at Taxiala's force.

With their warriors out of position and focused on hunting the Shogunate army, the Mongols and their Ezo Shogunuate allies could not bring their advantages to bear. With mountains at their back, the Mongols further could not encircle the Shogunate force despite their strength in cavalry. Ashina Morimune quickly recognised the danger and withdrew his portion of the army on the Mongol left, but this only permitted the Kamakura forces strike the remainder of the force with even greater ease. Taxiala fell wounded and a great number of Japanese under Takeda Nobumune and Yuuki Munehiro broke through the Mongol center, rapidly encircling the Mongol right flank under Yangwuludai.

But Takeda and Yuuki did not know that Ashina had not retreated, but simply reorganised his force. Ashina struck the Shogunate right flank and scattered them into disarray, reversing the momentum the Japanese enjoyed to that point. Takeda was wounded in battle and lost hundreds of his soldiers--the two Shogunate commanders were only saved thanks to Date Motomune and Kudou Sadasuke throwing their warriors into the fray against Ashina, abandoning the complete encirclement of the Mongol right. This permitted the Mongols to retreat on their own terms as the Japanese retired to the local hill fortress controlled by the Ikeda clan, whose lord had perished earlier that day defending Takeda.
G19Id13.png

Diagram of troop movements at the Battle of Asahiyama

Despite Japanese failure to gain total victory, Asahiyama still proved a decisive battle. The aura of Mongol invincibility in Mutsu shattered and many defected in the aftermath of the battle. The Mongol warriors themselves suffered heavy losses--they lost over 5,000 warriors, including many from the Igu Houjou clan such as their head Igu Tokitaka (伊具時高) who Yangwuludai effectively used as shields to cover his collapsing flank [8]. A sizable number of these were veteran warriors from the mainland, leaving Taxiala's army mostly Japanese from Ezo or diehard Mongol allies like those warriors of Kira Tsuneuji. Nearly half the main Mongol army in Mutsu thus vanished.

As for the Kamakura Shogunate, they lost perhaps 2,000 men but gained nearly 1,000 warriors who returned to their side after the battle. Their momentum was now decisively restored following the 1302 debacle at Sanbongihara and they now prepared for a counterattack.

ZAEiS71.png

The battle of Asahiyama carried deep ramifications on the Mongol campaign in northern Japan

The defeat at Asahiyama and Taxiala's injuries decisively ended the efforts to unite with Chonghur's force to the south and make a combined advance on Kamakura. The injured Taxiala realised the hopelessness of the campaign and instead sought to consolidate his gains. Chonghur himself faced his own challenges, firstly from peasant rebels following Shimazu Tadamune, and then following Shimazu's defeat and suicide, the pirate Matsuura Sadamu demanding yet another bribe in exchange for neutrality. Forced to deal with this fighting in the rear and unable to advance far into Echigo without the threat of stretching his supply lines, Chonghur and Taxiala sent messengers to Nanghiyadai that they could not attack Kamakura from the north without new victories elsewhere in Japan. Taxiala retreated from Dewa Province in a vicious scorched earth campaign.

The new target of the Mongols became the Tsugaru Plain and the port city of Tosa, defended by the main Andou clan fortress of Fujisaka Castle as well as Soga Yasumitsu's Daikou-ji Castle and its subsidiary forts. The token Mongol force under Fanca could only contain Soga and his allies, but thanks to Taxiala's arrival in July 1304, Soga's garrisons faced a serious challenge and began to surrender or be destroyed by sudden assault.

As for Chonghur, he faced his own difficulties in spring 1304. The new Japanese commander, Houjou Sadaaki, decisively committed to a scorched earth campaign and lured his men deep into Echigo Province. At the same time, he divided his forces and left five thousand men under his deputy Suwa Yorinao at the port of Naoetsu [9], believing Chonghur was luring them away from the strategic port so the Mongol fleets might seize it.

Houjou guessed correct, for this precise scenario occurred. Believing the garrison in Naoetsu was only a few hundred men, Yighmish and Chu Ding attacked the port with thousands of warriors and dozens of ships on April 7, 1304. They were met with fireships and well-prepared coastal defenses that stopped most Mongols from landing and denied them a beachhead. The Mongols retreated at once, unable to take the port while instructing Chonghur to return at once.

Hearing of these Shogunate victories, the pirate Matsuura Sadamu demanded another bribe from the Yuan equal in size to his previous. Chonghur decided to eliminate Matsuura lest he grow too powerful, so strung him along with false promises of the demanded goods (rice, ships, gold, and silver) being assembled in China. Matsuura saw through this and launched a two front attack, seizing several Yuan supply ships while attempting to destroy Yighmish's fleet at anchor in Tsuruga Bay at the border of Echizen and Wakasa through a dramatic night attack. Only the Yuan admiral's quick thinking preventing Matsuura's plan from succeeding, and both sides lost around 10 ships each before Matsuura retreated.

Around this time, Chonghur heard of the defeat at Asahiyama and chose to consolidate his lines. He first marched south to Naoetsu and besieged the city, taking it through costly assault in June. But many Shogunate defenders, including Suwa, escaped the city alive and further hindered the Mongol return south to their more secure lines. Practically none of the plunder from Naoetsu could be achieved, and all the Mongols succeeded at was burning the city and killing a few hundred citizens who remained in the city.

The Yuan response proved fierce as they massacred or deported all people associated with Matsuura. Matsuura himself was attacked by Yighmish and Chu Ding in Noto Province on June 19, 1304 and lost 20 ships and 3,000 men to the vengeful Mongols while inflicting little damage to his enemies. But his fleet managed to escape to Naoetsu thanks to a fortunate wind. Allegedly they were overladen with treasure which they were forced to throw overboard as an offering to the sea god Ryuujin to help escape, while the remainder was given to the Houjou clan to avoid punishment for not aiding them in the past. Matsuura kept his men's allegiance by reminding them of the buried treasure he hid.

Houjou Koresada received news of Matsuura's new pro-Shogunate stance and now himself decided to link his army with his kinsman Sadaaki's force. Destroying Chonghur's army would eliminate the threat to his own flank and remove a potent threat to Shogunate. Thus he marched his army hundreds of kilometers south to Etchuu at the end of the summer. This posed a decisive threat to the Mongols, whose entire Japan strategy had since 1274 relied on keeping an army in the north to prevent the Shogunate from concentrating their warriors against them.

This time it was Chonghur who conducted the scorched earth retreat, leading the Shogunate armies all the way back into Kaga upon hearing the chinjufu-shogun sent his own army south. He was outnumbered, but knew the longer the pursuit took, the more time Taxiala would have to scour Mutsu. At the urging of his son El Temur (燕帖木兒), on October 15, 1304, Chonghur turned back and struck the Japanese at the village of Tsubata on the Kaga side of the Kurikara Pass. He commanded only 16,000 men compared to the 22,000 Japanese, but the Japanese were tired from the constant marching. An expertly done feigned retreat by El Temur's mingghan and the kheshig warriors of Khur-Toda broke their formation and let the Mongols and their Japanese allies under Uryuu Hakaru and Mouri Tokimoto mow them down with arrows.

hlYWeIL.png

The Shogunate defeat at Tsubata was yet another reminder of the strength of Yuan arms

The defeat at Tsubata marked yet another in a long string of disasters for the Shogunate. Houjou lost 5,000 men, including most of his cavalry, compared to the 2,000 lost by Chonghur. Yet the defeat might have been far worse had both Japanese commanders not immediately began a retreat upon the Mongol advance. In particular, those troops who had marched from the north departed the battlefield early on, thus preserving the bulk of their strength.

News of the great success Taxiala had against Soga's castles and the Mongol advance through Mino against Takeda Tokitsuna caused morale to further plummet. The hungry, exhausted Japanese force could barely sustain itself in the devastated Etchuu Province--Houjou Sadaaki ordered the chinjufu-shogun return to Mutsu and rescue the embattled Soga and Andou clans, thus once more dividing his force instead of challenging Chonghur to another battle.

News of the chinjufu-shogun's return to Mutsu came too late to affect Soga Yasumitsu's struggle. Soga abandoned his final fortress, Daikou-ji Castle, in November 1304, retreating his assets and warriors to Fujisaki. Perhaps 2,000 men of the Soga and Andou clans remained in Mutsu defending the fortress against a Mongol force almost five times that size.

Yet it would not be Mutsu, Dewa, or the Hokuriku in which the decisive moments of the Mongol invasion occurred. As 1304 progressed, the conflict was rapidly shifting south. As early as May 1304, Nagasaki Enki demanded the chinjufu-shogun send Yuuki Munehiro south with 5,000 men to Ise Province to reinforce the embattled Shogunate forces there. Nanghiyadai refused all of Chonghur's requests for aid and even forced him to dispatch 2,000 warriors south to reinforce Burilgitei in Mino. The battles there would now be more decisive than ever, fighting that would decide the result of the Banpou Invasion and the final fate of Japan.

---
Author's notes

This is the decisive moments of the battles in the north of Japan, continuing Chapter 24. The Shogunate can defeat a small Mongol army, but cannot finish them off and the battle ends up inconclusive. Meanwhile the Mongols remind the Shogunate their inherent strengths and inflict yet another large defeat. I mentioned Mongol success in Mino against Takeda--that will be next chapter.

I incorrectly identified Date Motomune as his grandfather Date Masayori (committed suicide TTL after he was blamed for his son leading the Shogunate to disaster in Ezo). I blame this on too many characters who have similar-sounding first names. My apologies for confusion.

I don't plan on doing another Mutsu/Ezo-centric entry for a while, but I will wrap up this part of the story when I close out this arc very soon. In any case, the next entry are the decisive moments of the campaign.

[1] - He seems to have been a member of the same Mutsu Kudou clan that Sadasuke, Sukemitsu, and Tokimitsu belonged, but his exact relationship is unclear. I've portrayed him as a man born in the mid-late 1280s, but he may have been younger.
[2] - The sister of Uesugi Norifusa (上杉憲房), Uesugi Kiyoko (上杉清子), was a favourite concubine of Ashikaga Sadauji and the mother of Ashikaga Takauji. Uesugi Norifusa is also the direct ancestor of the adoptive father of Uesugi Kenshin (but not Kenshin himself). The Ashikaga clan, their branch families like the Shiba clan, and their associates like the Uesugi clan are not favoured at this point ITTL because they supported Houjou Munekata's coup after the fall of Kyoto
[3] - Like in Europe, it was common for clans to slightly modify their crests (mon) from the clan they split from. In this case the Igu added a circle, which coincidentally makes their crest the same as that used by prominent Meiji era field marshal and politician Yamagata Aritomo
[4] - The Soga Monogatari is a famous story of revenge that occurred in the late 12th century involving the brothers Soga Sukenari and Soga Tokimune slaying Kudou Suketsune (who had murdered their father) and clashing against a number of samurai in the process.
[5] - Today Tsuchizaki is part of the city of Akita, Akita Prefecture
[6] - Despite their near-annihilation in 1285, the Adachi clan persisted thanks to Tokiaki's survival (which I assume occurs TTL as well). IOTL, Tokiaki was one of the most notable ministers at the end of the Kamakura era, and indeed was commander of Akita Castle (an honorary post OTL, but less so TTL where it has been rebuilt) in the early 1300s
[7] - Because of its size and how it developed, Dewa Province had two capitals, with Akita Castle serving as the provincial capital for the north and Kinowanoki serving as the capital for the south. Like nearly all provincial capitals, they were of little importance by the end of the Heian era
[8] - OTL he is best known as Houjou Naritoki (北条斎時), but did not change his name to Naritoki until 1309. TTL he has been severed from the Houjou clan due to opposing and rebelling against Nagasaki Enki, so his name remains Tokitaka and he would be known under the surname Igu (as he was part of the Igu branch family of the Houjou clan)
[9] - Naoetsu is today the port city of Jouetsu, Niigata Prefecture.

The war is really a grind at this point, the Shogunate keeps trying to break down the Mongols in any way they can and indeed they do slow it down... But when push comes to shove, the Mongols only need a few victories in the field to seemingly undo all the progress Shogunate forces achieve, so it's really a case of who breaks first and currently, the Mongols seem to have the ball, for now at least, internal factors can be just as dangerous as outside ones when it comes to hampering the war effort after all...

Shiba's men posed as Mongol soldiers and intercepted many supplies for themselves whilst monitoring Mongol operations in the Sea of Japan. Come the spring on March 24, 1304, Shiba executed another successful deception operation--he took a Mongol ship and fifty men and raided the main base of the Daihouji clan at Oizumi Manor (大泉荘). Among the victims was Daihouji Nagamori (大宝寺長盛), eldest son and heir of Akiuji. The elder Daihouji was horrified at the Mongol betrayal and derided Taxiala's attempts to blame a rogue element
These are the events that spice up the war. A pro gamer move by a minor lord that put the stage for Taxiala's defeat.

But eventually, Chonghur got the better of Shogunate as he executed feint retreat with his son.
Matsuura kept his men's allegiance by reminding them of the buried treasure he hid.
Mhmm, he's stuff of the legend.

The war is really a grind at this point, the Shogunate keeps trying to break down the Mongols in any way they can and indeed they do slow it down... But when push comes to shove, the Mongols only need a few victories in the field to seemingly undo all the progress Shogunate forces achieve, so it's really a case of who breaks first and currently, the Mongols seem to have the ball, for now at least, internal factors can be just as dangerous as outside ones when it comes to hampering the war effort after all...
Yep, at the end of the day the Mongols have perhaps the finest army in the world, it's just a question of using it--and paying for it. Let's just say they aren't as unified as you'd think as to the "how do we pay for that" part...
The Shogunate has got two lives down, and one life left...
Certainly the case, they've been absolutely battered. What they do with that life, though...
These are the events that spice up the war. A pro gamer move by a minor lord that put the stage for Taxiala's defeat.

But eventually, Chonghur got the better of Shogunate as he executed feint retreat with his son.

Mhmm, he's stuff of the legend.
It is natural I depict Chonghur with such talent, as he was one of the best Yuan generals of his era IOTL--his success was certainly a large part of why his son El Temur IOTL achieved so much power (and he was no slouch either in terms of military skills).

As for Matsuura, I'm not entirely sure what I plan on doing with him, but given he's living in such interesting times, an interesting fate no doubt awaits him.

Chapter 31-The Final Moments of a Storm
-XXXI-
"The Final Moments of a Storm"

Inabayama [1], Mino Province, August 2, 1304​

"That's him again, isn't it?" asked the aide Zhang Ding, pointing in the distance toward an enemy commander on horseback ordering around his cavalry. "That's their finest general, right?"

Burilgitei shook his head.

"I cannot say for certain that Takeda Tokitsuna is their finest general, but he is a fine general indeed. We must be cautious, but never overwhelmingly so." He smiled as the firm stance of his warriors and a sudden attack by his crossbowmen compelled Takeda's retreat, a few enemies even falling into the deep river that flowed alongside the narrow battlefield hemmed in against a small mountain. A well done move, trying to use the advance of our gunnery troops to send your cavalry in this floodplain, but one I've accounted for.

Content at his success in driving the enemy back in a cloud of smoke and hail of bullets, Burilgitei pondered the layout of the battlefield, wondering what how to handle that small mountain that hemmed in the bulk of their forces.

"If we pretended we were no longer interested in seizing the castle or advancing on either side of the mountain, we might win," Burilgitei thought, recalling his great-grandfather's strategies.

"If we attack in small numbers over the forest and brush of the mountains, we'll surely be defeated by their greater numbers or their fortress long before we can attack their main host," Zhang replied.

"That is true, which is why I want to only make it look as we are attacking there. Tell his majesty Qutluq Temur to take 5,000 men and eliminate their men on the approach to the castle from the south."

"The south? There are reports that a group of powerful enemy warrior monks has held off a great number of our forces."

Burilgitei recalled for a moment that particular warrior monk fought under both Buddhist and Takeda banners. Perhaps he is that man's spiritual teacher. No matter, he must be eliminated for rejecting the authority of the Great Khan.

"Tell his majesty to take 4,000 men and summon the kheshig. The Russians and Alans care not for Buddhism, nor do many of our Semu horsemen."

"As you wish."

As chance had it, Aleksandr Zakharievich walked right in, followed by a Russian boy with vibrant wheat-coloured hair wiping the grime from the older warrior's sword.

"What do you need, Lord Burilgitei? Is the time come to charge?" the Russian warrior asked in his characteristically bad Chinese.

"At a different enemy than I believed," Burilgitei replied, aware of the sudden alteration to the battle plan. Instead of softening up their spear troops before routing them with the kheshig, this shall work better while costing fewer lives. "Take your troops south and then east and conquer the southwards approach of the mountain. You will serve as the vanguard of Prince Qutluq Temur, and you will encounter hundreds of powerful, well-armed warrior monks. You will slay every single one of them and return here."

Aleksandr nodded at the opportunity for combat, bowing his head and making the sign of the cross.

"The heathen clergymen will be eliminated, unless the Lord himself works upon their heart and convinces them to follow his chief deputy on Earth." He walked out of the tent, but the younger boy seemed curious of Burilgitei.

"Come, Dmitry. You've seen enough of the battlefield, now serve your father by taking care of his baggage." [2] The young boy nodded, leaving Burilgitei's presence with a bow. The entire incident recalled Burilgitei of his own son, still back in China gaining valuable administrative experience. May both myself and Aleksandr return from this battle, so we pass on our experiences for the sake of the eternal clan of the Great Khan.

---
Inabayama, Mino Province, August 2, 1304​

The main body of troops continued to fight to their fullest, but Takeda Tokitsuna did not feel satisfied. He's launched far too many attacks over and around this mountain, and it's been some time since I've heard from Lord Nikaidou. Tokitsuna sighed, fearing the worst was happening in terms of the enemy's strategy.

A messenger ran up to him, exhausted and wounded.

"Lord Takeda, the warriors monks, Lord Fukuzawa Zennen, they've been wiped out to the man by this latest enemy thrust!" Tokitsuna could only hang his head, recalling the fond discussions he had with that old man.

"I can only hope he died without regrets, content he chose the path of death by our enemies rather than death by the decay of his body," Tokitsuna said, trying to maintain a casual optimism. Fukuzawa commanded the body of forces watching the south side of the mountain. Our enemy must be trying to flank that side, meaning...

Tokitsuna turned at once to Komai Nobuyasu.

"Shall we tell our men to stop slaying sparrows on the mountainside so they might kill the falcon before us?"

Komai pondered it for a moment.

"Then how might we protect from the sparrows raiding our granary?"

"Scarecrows," Tokitsuna answered with a smile. "Set arrow traps in the trees and tell Nawa and Sayou to place archers and crossbowmen as needed. Inform Lord Nikaidou he is to send as many men as possible outside the walls to aid us, for all of them shall surely die if we lose this fight."

Komai nodded, content with the strategy--he relayed it to a messenger who immediately set off up the hillside.

Moments passed as Tokitsuna watched the ebb and flow of the battle before them, his cavalry gathering around him. The eager Henmi Nobutsune sat on his horse, practicing swinging his sword, while the heavily scarred Kumagai Naomitsu simply sat meditating, his posture serene compared to his mangled face. At last his favourite cavalry commander Ichijou Nobuhisa arrived, trotting up on his great horse.

"We charge, now!" Tokitsuna said, the shell trumpets blaring to clear the way. The few hundred heavy cavalry crashed into the wall of enemy troops, melting them at once. As he fired his bow, he noticed it almost seemed too easy, giving Tokitsuna an unsteady feeling as he recalled the favourite tactic of the enemy. Yet he shook that feeling from his head--too many commanders second-guessed their actions, and so long as the Mongols did not discover his strategy on the hillside, he should win.

---
Sunomata, Mino Province, 1305​

"What did they say!" Burilgitei shouted at the messenger, a small, scrawny Central Asian man in a turban, beyond furious at what he just heard.

"As I said, Lord Aqutai demands all Yuan armies in Japan beside the 3 tumens of Zhengdong return to the mainland. Further, he shall be greatly reducing military-related shipping." Burilgitei threw his bowl of rice wine at the wall, cracking it at once as he could hardly believe the news.

"What about Lord Fan Wenhu?" Burilgitei demanded, hoping the worst hadn't happened to his key ally. "Why is Lord Fan no longer the grand chancellor?"

"Lord Fan has retired due to ill-health. He sends his condolences he could do no more for the Great Khan and his ministers."

"Tch!" Burilgitei shook his head, noticing the equally shocked generals around him. "Who the hell is this Aqutai bastard, and who is he to demand we cease our campaign now? Why, by this time next year I expect our warriors to be at the gates of their capital, the enemy's finest generals defeated!"

"I second Lord Burilgitei," Dorotai spoke up. "The enemy has taken repeated losses and can hardly raise any more forces. Soon their captains will share in the fate of the countless enemies we've defeated. Send word to the court that we request negotiations with Aqutai over the new terms of the campaign. We can send a tumen or two home, but certainly not our entire force."

"L-Lord Aqutai's decision is final," the messenger said, starting to shake as. "H-his words are backed by the Great Khan."

Burilgitei furrowed his brow. His majesty Temur Khan was never an energetic campaigner like his forefathers, but even he realised the necessity of delivering a decisive blow to Japan. This decision, and those decisions to hold back troops from us, do not seem like his own.

"Isn't his majesty ill?" Qutluq Temur asked. "How can these orders be from him? An ill ruler can hardly be consulting his ministers of the wise decisions, after all."

"I-I do not know," the messenger stammered. All I know is it came from the imperial household and the Central Secretariat and must be obeyed at once." Burilgitei looked at his generals, suddenly very concerned as to what was happening back home. If the Great Khan truly is ill, these decisions must be coming from someone. Burilgitei could only fathom whom that might be, but he knew for a fact that on many occasions, the wives of powerful rulers played a great role in the management of the state. Perhaps this was one of those times. Has her majesty Bulugan Khatun taken this decisive action?

Burilgitei hung his head and breathed in deeply as he tried making sense of the situation. In particular, he felt concern for himself. If Bulugan Khatun is leading the government along with a faction hostile to Fan Wenhu, I would be fortunate to maintain command here. Everything will change soon, and to our nation's detriment we will leave so much unfinished business.

"What day did you hear this news?"

"Two months ago, my lord," the messenger said. "The sea journey was long and hard, and rebels still haunt these lands." Burilgitei nodded, knowing the man just gave him a time limit. In two months, this man shall report our reply to the capital. That gives us two months to defeat as many Japanese as possible.

"Very well, we shall obey," Burilgitei replied. "But this causes us serious problems. We can hardly abandon these lands we've conquered for the Great Khan at a time such as this. Please permit us to secure our land in an orderly manner as our armies return home."

"I am certain the Great Khan and his government will look favourably on that decision. Just remember your obligations, Lord Burilgitei."

Burilgitei smiled.

"As we shall. Best of luck to you on your voyage home, as for us we shall undertake the hardest of all tasks before our own voyage--restoring order."

---
Sunomata, Mino Province, July 19, 1305​

In all his years, Takashina no Shigetsune never felt so nervous, for the very future of his nation lay in his hands. Even the fact he sat across from a few invader soldiers and those unruly-looking samurai who served them did not bother him nearly as much as the knowledge of what he was doing, for his own life mattered little compared to the lives of all his countrymen.

The manor in which he sat seemed poorly made, rapidly erected in some foreign Chinese style to serve as a headquarters. It was unsuited for the humid summers of Japan and annoying hot inside, but Shigetsune bore it to what degree he could. It struck him as both horrifying and ironic that the fate of his country would be decided at such an insignificant place, a small village of little note.

The enemy's minister walked in, escorted by a tall samurai and a Chinese bureaucrat. Shock ripped through Shigetsune's body--Taira no Nakachika serves them now? He had assumed such a thing had happened given Nakachika never appeared in Kamakura that night they fled the burning capital, and indeed, he always seemed a defeatist whenever they spoke at court. A part of him felt lucky that he wasn't the one in Nakachika's place--the Mongols who captured him and his family seemed content to release them in exchange for their carriage, their horses, and a few treasures from his house, but they easily could have sent him to Hakata.

"Welcome. As I am sure you know, I am the Minister of Civil Administration Taira no Nakachika," Taira said with a short bow.

"And I am the Minister of Civil Administration--for those loyal to the Emperor--Takashina no Shigetsune," Shigetsune replied. "I have been sent to achieve a lasting peace on behalf of his majesty the Emperor and his regent Kujou Moronori."

Nakachika ignored any familiarity, his face remaining as cold as those invader warriors around him. What a shame he has given his heart and soul to serving these villains and traitors!

"Now let us discuss the terms of your surrender to the eminent ruler of Japan and the Son of Heaven," Taira announced.

"We wish to serve neither the great Son of Heaven nor his majesty who rules in Hakata," Shigetsune said. "But we concede that his majesty in Hakata controls much of the country at this moment. It is not wise to continue to fight him over it. Therefore we will recognise the court in Hakata's rule over these provinces and lay no further claim to them." Even if Saionji Sanekane himself instructed it, each of those words dug at Shigetsune's heart for he was tearing his own country apart.

"A correct decision," Taira said. "But such matters have already been decided on the battlefield. We seek your nation's total surrender and submission to his majesty the lord of Japan, whose court temporarily finds itself in Hakata."

"We can submit to no one," Shigetsune answered. "The great Emperor stands alone in the heaven, watched only by his equal, the Son of Heaven who reigns in China."

Taira seemed downcast, but it seems he expected such reasoning.

"Then are you willing to force a most unpleasant situation where there are two suns in the sky? Are you willing to divide our nation during a time of so many great disasters?"

"That there are two suns in the heaven is only a temporary concern, for the Imperial House shall one day rise again strong and renewed and we shall see the false sun fade before the heavenly light of the true sun," Shigetsune replied. "Our nation shall not perish, much as the Middle Kingdom itself did not perish when they too recognised the temporary state of two suns in the heaven."

"You speak of the Chanyuan Treaty, I take it?" Taira answered. "It was not wise to force such an unnatural state on the Middle Kingdom, for neither Liao nor Song have existed for many years. In the end, both suns vanished. It is shameful your heart is so set on creating this division."

Shigetsune sighed, knowing Taira's words were true. This is not a matter I ever wanted to negotiate. Oh how content I would be if I might just finish out my career as a minister and shut myself away in a monastery, spending the remainder of my life in learning the truths of the world!

"Our court accepts the shame of dividing our nation, for above all we demand national survival. What are your terms so that we might achieve this?"

"Cede every province we currently occupy, in full or in part, and pay tribute to the court at Hakata so we might provide the Son of Heaven a tribute worthy of his conquest of all Japan," Taira said, his stance resolute. Shigetsune hung his head, thinking of the terrible facts. We have little tribute with which to pay, and if the invader occupies the provinces I believe he does, we would be totally unable to resist him should he invade once more. A map of Japan formed in his head as Shigetsune recalled provinces the invader seemed entrenched in such as Echigo, northern Mutsu, Mino, Ise, Shima, Owari--losing these provinces opened up limitless opportunities for invading Japan. The samurai beside him, the young Houjou Sadakuni, shook his head at those terms.

"I beg your pardon, but that agreement we cannot accept," Shigetsune said. "If I accepted them, I should offer our complete surrender, for it would make inevitable our nation's destruction and if we are to be destroyed, it is best to avoid the needless suffering a war brings."

"No matter what your terms are, I cannot promise your nation will not be destroyed," Taira replied. "The Son of Heaven is furious with your puppet court and its rebel military regime, and that he even permits me to negotiate such an agreement is a sign of his utmost benevolence."

"If you are so strong, it is curious you would be negotiating a peace treaty now," a samurai beside Houjou said, a warrior he recalled was named Onozawa Sanetsuna. Then Shigetsune recalled what he heard--the enemy was not interested in more conflict. There are rumours intrigue is afoot in the Middle Kingdom, and the Son of Heaven needs his armies back at home. Some smugglers claim the poor in their nation starve for the price of food is so high and rises every day. There is no proof of this beside the unbridled optimism of our people for any good news in this age of darkness, but if it is true then I can get far more lenient terms than I ever should.

"A brute such as yourself must know we negotiate such a treaty out of the kindness of our hearts," Taira growled. Onozawa glared at him for the insult, but Houjou shook his head in hopes he stayed calm.

"If those words are true, then we should negotiate a treaty that brings this conflict to an end for generations," Shigetsune said. "A treaty which leaves our nation in such a crippled state that it would tempt any arrogant conquerer is not one which will last. Therefore I say that in lieu of cessions of land in certain provinces, we pay additional tribute."

Taira looked at the old invader commander, uncertain if the terms were what his country desired. The invader commander gently nodded at him, forcing Taira to think of a response.

"You must inform us which provinces these might be. I am certain the terms for tribute will be far more extensive than we planned before."

"The provinces of Mutsu, Mino, Echigo, Owari, Ise, and Shima. All currently have many districts occupied by the invaders, and we graciously hope tribute might remove him."

Taira and the invader commander looked at each other, the invader commander whispering words into Taira's ear that made his eyes briefly widen before he composed himself, perhaps thinking of how to phrase his request.

"We shall evacuate Mutsu in its entirety, but we can hardly evacuate the other provinces lest the arrogant conquerers tempted be the warriors beneath Kamakura's banner," Taira replied.

"That is an unfair assessment, for we can hardly start a war for a generation," Shigetsune shot back. "Particularly after we pay your indemnity." He thought of something quickly, hoping it made sense. "Perhaps we should remove your warriors and tax collectors from individual districts instead of entire provinces?"

Clearly it made sense, for the invader commander immediately whispered something into Taira's ear. Taira wanted to protest, but accepted it anyway.

"Very well, but we will still charge tribute per district," he said.

"And we will give entire districts to you to lower said tribute, but maintain our position in several provinces. However, I would still like Mino, Owari, and Mutsu evacuated in their entirety."

"V-very well," Taira said. "But once again, this will cost much. You must surely be aware that the tribute includes not just rice, silk, gold, and silver, but also thousands of your people? For each province we divide, they will send 5,000 households to the Kingdom of Japan. Additionally, they will contribute 100 priests who are to pray for the departed souls and ensure this peace lasts. We will also be demanding thousands of craftsman come to our nation to rebuilt the Capital and devastated areas of the provinces."

"I understand that and graciously accept such terms. Who will conduct the surveys?" Shigetsune said. Taira smiled at such a request.

"Your own bureaucrats, of course. For all estates that span the border, they will tell that manor what their new constraints are," he replied. At once Shigetsune realised he demanded a term certain to cause endless frustration. Even the most powerful men in the court rarely dare enquire as to the exact boundaries of their manors, lest they arouse the anger of some powerful warrior who manages it. Lord Taira knows exactly what he is doing, damn him. [3]

"I agree to such terms as well. Now, I believe that concludes..."

The invader general sitting beside their leader cleared his throat and unsheathed a Japanese-style sword, laying it on the table between them.

"Whichever craftsman made this sword they call 'Haisha-giri', I want him and all his students in my service," the general growled in Chinese. Taira was taken aback by the sudden demand and examined the sword.

"Masamune?" Taira said, reading a signature on the blade [4]. "I am no expert in swords or any sort of weapon at all, but even I am aware this is a fine sword. As requested, please send this Masamune and his students to Hakata at once."

Shigetsune sighed, knowing the frustration losing so much talent for his nation would be. Still, if sending a few dozen swordsmiths pleased the invader, a few dozen swordsmiths must be sent.

"Very well. That swordsmith and his students shall go, along with our nation's plunder and so many of our districts and province. Yet you shall give us that most precious gift of peace and the preservation of our way of life, unhindered by those from the continent."

Taira nodded, content a deal was reached, and took out a great seal belonging to the court.

"Wonderful. Now let us take that next step toward peace and draft the document so we might affix our seals to it."

---
Kamakura, Sagami Province, July 29, 1305​

Nagasaki Enki awoke in the morning to the sound of solemn music blaring in the streets as if a festival gone wrong. He trodded over to his window and brushing aside the screen saw a procession of carriages traveling the streets. Weeping women and children walked aside them as a few Houjou clan vassals escorted them. Solemn music played on the biwa and other instruments emitted from the carriages, evidently played by musicians inside. Just what sort of madness is going on?

"Tomosada! Get in here and explain what the hell is happening!" Enki shouted, calling in a loyal servant. Sure enough, the guard ran in and bowed before him.

"My apologies for the noise they cause you, Lord Nagasaki, but these are the many artisans and craftsmen of the city who are now bound for the occupied capital. The truce signed with the enemy was harsh indeed."

"Tr-truce? What truce?" Enki demanded, having heard only rumours that the court was negotiating something like that. There are hundreds of people down there. If we lose that many artisans, then...

"Several days ago, a senior minister named Takashina no Shigetsune signed peace on behalf of the Imperial Court. My kinsman Lord Sadakuni of the Rokuhara Tandai was present as well."

Enki clenched his fist, absolutely furious. These fools dare sign such a damaging peace treaty behind my back? He knew at once that said treaty involved co-existance with that puppet state the invaders established. What impudence! What betrayal! Damn them all!

"The court regent must take responsibility and resign at once," Enki said, uncharacteristically frustrated from both his rude awakening and the terrible news. "The maker of the treaty himself, that Takashina, he will be banished to the Izu Islands. For that matter, banish Sadakuni as well."

"L-Lord Houjou, please forgive Lord Sadakuni," Houjou said, bowing once more. "He is young, has proven himself in battle, and has surely been forced into this by those with him in the field. I am certain this treaty is but a plot by that man Saionji Sanekane, and Saionji has enough warriors outside our clan on his side that surely Lord Sadakuni and perhaps even all our vassals were forced into it just to give it legitimacy."

Enki took a deep breath, realising Houjou was correct about his kinsman Sadakuni. Right now it would not do well to alienate a man who owes his entire position to me. And no doubt I can force him to make some choice donations if he wishes to avoid other punishments.

"Saionji Sanekane...damn you," Enki growled. That man is untouchable and dares interfere in Shogunate affairs. He seeks only power for his family no matter how much he calls himself a Buddhist priest or loyalist of the Emperor and acts as nothing but a parasite on our clan's success.

"Speaking of Lord Saionji, earlier this morning his son, the eminent monk Kakuen of Koufuku-ji came by, requesting if you were available for a meeting."

"Kakuen? Oh, that fool came by, begging for alms once more. I already told him he will receive no more meetings, for his actions are nothing but attempts to aggrandize his father." Those damned temples of Nara will never be welcome in Kamakura, let alone one the Saionji wish to use as a source of wealth and warriors.

Enki noticed Houjou giving him a strange glance.

"Tomosada, do not look at me like that," Enki growled. "Matters now are frustrating, but they will improve. See to it that the invader is informed the treaty was negotiated in error by a faction of rebel ministers."

"Very well, but the Shogun's seal was affixed to it as well. We can hardly renegotiate it now."

"The Shogun!?" Enki clenched his fist, knowing at once that sly boy Takaharu was behind it. It was strange enough he gathered those so-called 'Attendants' around him who clearly were warriors. Saionji is using that man to move against me.

Suddenly the evidence assembled in Enki's mind. Saionji would not risk such a damaging peace unless he profited from it. If our nation is at peace, he can use all manner of warriors in his schemes against us. The Shogun is one of them, as are all the warriors loyal to him, and judging by the frequency of his appearances, he commands much loyalty indeed.

"He is rather old for a Shogun, isn't he?" Houjou asked. "It's no different than in the past--the older the Shogun gets, the more trouble he causes our clan. We best dismiss him soon."

"Were it not for that incompetent Takeda losing battle after battle, I would have already sent the Shogun to join his predecessors at a monastery," Enki said. "But there is still more than enough time. Gather our vassals, for once this commotion in the streets dies down, we shall depose him. Increase surveillance on Saionji and the Shogun, and all new temples in the city."

"We're finally doing it?" Houjou wondered. "We're finally striking against them?"

"That is a crude manner of phrasing it," Enki replied. "We are merely asserting the Houjou clan's pre-eminence in the politics of the Shogunate and providing appropriate counsel to our leader. Further, it is time to apply such counsel to the Imperial Court as well."

"If I recall, the situation there is bleak," Houjou said. "All of the current Emperor's brothers are old and linked to those greedy temples, but if we enthrone the Daikaku-ji once more than most of those few anti-Saionji courtiers left will be furious. Worse, we'd be enthroning the Shogun's nephew and inviting his powerful grandfather to serve as Retired Sovereign."

Enki nodded, knowing exactly what Houjou spoke was true. Even so, he remained optimistic and calm as he appraised the situation further in his mind. Saionji holds many advantages now. But he is a fool if a courtier like him seriously believes he can manipulate the Shogunate to his will. His family only rose because they rejected Kujou Michiie's foolish attempt to do so, and at that time few warriors believed they would gain anything. Nearly all those warriors who despise the Houjou have long since joined the invader, and even those men like Ashikaga and Takeda will still serve us out of their inherent conservatism, for serving the Houjou offers more than serving the court ever will.

And just like Kujou, once we show our true strength, they will have none but a few warrior monks and a half-hearted force of cowards left. Just as so many times, all who dare oppose the Houjou shall be destroyed.

---​

By 1304, a succession of Mongol setbacks and strategic failures the previous year ensured the grand scheme of conquest fell apart. The Mongol supreme commander Nanghiyadai fell back on his second plan--crushing the main Shogunate army in the field and advancing toward their capital. The fate of the war would thus be decided in the center of the country in the provinces of Mino, Owari, and Ise. There, the two foremost generals of either side--Burilgitei and Takeda Tokitsuna--stared each other down preparing for the decisive battle of the Banpou Invasion.

Even before winter ended, Kim Heun's army moved first and attempted to outflank Takeda. Takeda split his army and sent Chuujou Kagenaga and his kinsmen Tsubarai Nobutsugu (円井信継) with 8,000 warriors (including many akutou under Kusunoki Masato) to defeat Kim. The armies clashed at the village of Tatsuwa (立和) along the Kiso River in Owari Province on March 14, 1304, and despite Kim holding the numerical advantage, Tsubarai's cavalry charge broke his flank and cut off the expected path of retreat. A panic arose as Kim was wounded, and the Shogunate forces pressed on to victory and forced the Goryeo army.

Nanghiyadai sent Dorotai with 12,000 men to crush Tsubarai's army, and ordered Burilgitei with 20,000 men to cut off all paths of retreat for Takeda. Yet the rivers swollen by snowmelt proved imposing obstacles, particularly as there were few boats to be found thanks to Takeda burning or capturing all boats. The pace of the Mongol advance slowed as conscripted peasants to build new rafts and boats to cross the wide rivers of Mino and Owari. Tsubarai managed to escape Dorotai's army, but Burilgitei immediately shifted course and blocked his path. They clashed at the village of Hagiwara, where Burilgitei's sudden attack forced Tsubarai to immediately retreat south with over 3,000 losses in his force and cease his plan of outflanking the Mongols.

Although this strategy may have worked, Tsubarai gained reinforcements. In Kii Province, an uprising of anti-Mongol do-ikki in April 1304 prompted the Iyo Tandai to send 3,000 warriors under his deputy Houjou Tokihide as well as Ashikaga Sadauji to aid them. Ashikaga learned that Tsubarai's army was in danger and came to the aid of the peasant rebels. This force united with Tsubarai's army and now numbered 10,000 men--Ashikaga and Tsubarai thus liberated western Owari Province and drove the Goryeo remnants into Ise.

His campaign may have stopped there, but events in the Hokuriku and especially Mutsu in 1303 and 1304 ensured he received additional aid. In mid-1304, the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Koresada sent 5,000 warriors from Mutsu under Yuuki Munehiro and Shiba Muneuji south to Ise Bay. Uniting with the remnants of the Kutsuna and Murakami suigun as well as Suzuki Shigezane's Kumano-suigun, they waited until the Sashi fleet was laden with plunder and leaving the bay where they struck at Ozukumi Island on July 22, 1304. Unfavourable winds dashed many Sashi ships against the rocks and left them easy prey for the trained warriors of Mutsu. The unconventional boarding used by loyal veteran Mutsu Ainu forces in their ibune in particular proved shocking to the fleet of mostly Kyushu Japanese. Subsequently this large force invaded and retook much of Shima Province.

These events forced Nanghiyadai to shift course, sending even more men south to deal with the renewed Japanese offensive. Additionally, he faced complaints from Chonghur to dispatch reinforcements so he might continue his own troubled advance. Nanghiyadai ignored all of these demands, wishing to totally defeat Takeda Tokitsuna.

Burilgitei's army of 23,000 finally caught up to Takeda at Inabayama in Mino Province on July 31, 1304. Although Takeda did not wish to do battle, the influential Nikaidou clan of Shogunal bureaucrats demanded he make his stand at Inabayama Castle (稲葉山城), a powerful fortress controlled by their scion Nikaidou Tokifuji (二階堂時藤). As many Nikaidou men and peasants fought in his army, battle was inevitable. At a narrow pass, Takeda deployed his army of around 15,000 men to take maximum advantage of the constricted terrain.

But Burilgitei would not make a frontal attack. He sent his Japanese subordinates such as Adachi Tomasa, Ijuuin Hisachika, and Sugimoto Tokiaki over various trails to launch feints at Takeda and impede any attempt at retreat. While Takeda countered this adequately, Burilgitei used the opportunity to deploy a quick feint against these troops. Aleksandr Zakharievich's kheshig struck the warrior monks of Fukuzawa Zennen (深沢禅円), who thus far had expertly held the lines. Zennen and hundreds of monks died--so successful was the kheshig that Takeda believed a great number of enemy troops had accompanied them.

The centerpiece of his defense eliminated convinced Takeda to withdraw his forces from the mountain and mount a decisive thrust on the enemy at the river bank. He covered the mountain with hundreds of Nikaidou clan warriors as well as a few dozen archers and arrow traps. Takeda ordered a charge, but Burilgitei turned this into a feigned retreat for several minutes, exhausting the Japanese as they cut their way through.

This brought immediate disaster once the Mongols saw through Takeda's tricks. Sources vary on how--the Japanese claim a Nikaidou clan warrior who preferred defending a castle over fighting on a hillside surrendered and explained the plan to Qutluq Temur, but the Mongols claim Li Dayong, Qutluq Temur's deputy, discovered the Japanese tricks and rushed through the forest to seize the castle with bombs and a cannon he ordered hauled up the mountain. It is said Li Dayong's cannon cracked after a single shot from the rough trip up the hillside, but that single shot killed Nikaidou Tokifuji and a dozen men--Inabayama Castle did not last long after that.

Inabayama fell far faster than Takeda expected. Tokitsuna recognised the forced retreat, but only too late. He tried retreating, but was caught in a trap between Qutluq Temur's force and the main Mongol army. His warriors forced their way out of the trap through several great sacrifices of men, including Nasu Suketada who remained shooting his bow alongside a mixed group of samurai and archers until he was finally struck down. Takeda himself lost his horse, while his strategist Komai Nobumura and several other generals were wounded defending him. Around 6,000 Japanese warriors perished, replaced by poorly trained peasant levies and boys from Eastern Japan.

WBJQJAL.png

The defeat at Inabayama marked a setback to Shogunate efforts to defend Mino Province

This was among the most catastrophic defeats Takeda Tokitsuna would ever suffer, and one in which he had little to show for it. Mongol casualties were only around half his own, even if they wasted much gunpowder trying to breach the castle and Shogunate lines. One historic source suggesgts that his rivals among the Houjou laughed in glee upon receiving word of his defeat, for he was now just like their kinsmen. Retired Emperor Go-Fukakusa died in shock when word of the disaster reached him.

All Takeda could do was maintain his scorched earth retreat, for all Mino was now open to Mongol raids. The Mongols advanced far into the province, checked only by periodic Japanese counterattacks. Among the destruction was the Toki clan's manor itself, where Mongol raiders leveled their prized fortified mansion of Hitoichiba and carried off hundreds of peasants and artisans employed there as slaves. But it is reputed that all were freed by a group of akutou led by Tajimi Kuninaga, whose hundred warriors ambushed and distracted a far greater Mongol force as the captured peasants escaped. Tajimi could not be recognised for this deed, however, due to the Houjou clan seeking his head for leading the 1303 attack on Houjou Munenori, former military governor of Mino, although it is likely that Toki Yorisada covertly aided--and rewarded--his akutou group.

This constant campaigning and scorched earth campaigns wore down the Mongol advance. Checked in the south by Yuuki and Ashikaga and facing supply line issues from peasant rebels and pirates in Kii, Nanghiyadai and Burilgitei could not sustain their offensive against Mino and Owari. After looting hundreds of temples, burning hundreds of villages, confiscating a great deal of supplies, and carrying off thousands as slaves, the Mongols retreated to a defensive line behind the Nagara River.

In late 1304, events in China ensured the conflict wound down. The minister Fan Wenhu, who had risen to Grand Chancellor of the Left in the Central Secretariat in the years after he returned from ruling Japan's occupation government, suffered bouts of ill health. The elderly minister, most prominent among Temur Khan's expansionists, retired late that year and died soon after. He was replaced as Grand Chancellor of the Left by the minister Aqutai (阿忽台), a political ally of Temur's empress Bulugan.

Further, Temur Khan himself, stricking by depression and illness, increasingly lost control of his government to his empress Bulugan and his powerful Chancellor of the Left Aqutai. Because both believed Temur would not live long with his illness, they conspired to establish the perfect conditions for an impending regency for his young son Daishu (德寿).

The war with Japan proved inconvenient for their goals. It was costly and required much in the way of shipping. In April 1305, word reached Cheligh-Temur and Nanghiyadai that they were to send home 25,000 ethnic Chinese and Mongol warriors and would receive deep cuts in received supplies from China. In essence, Bulugan and Aqutai demanded the Kingdom of Japan sustain its own war.

The Mongols launched one final offensive before complying with these orders, for Nanghiyadai sent Dorotai, Naimantai, and Shi Bi and thousands of Japanese allies under Adachi Tomasa and Shouni Tsunekiyo (少弐経清) (younger brother of Sadatsune and the deceased Sukenobu) to link with the remnants of Kim Heun's army and reconquer Ise and Shima. With a combined 20,000 men, this army far outnumbered the motley force of 12,000 led by Yuuki and Ashikaga. Ashikaga attempted to ambush them at the coastal town of Hazu (羽津) in Ise Province on May 22, 1305.

His successful attack, combined with a force of 2,000 pirates under Suzuki Shigezane striking in the rear, managed to break Dorotai's lines and rout his wing of the army (nearly killing Adachi in the process), but the victorious Japanese immediately ran into an ambush arranged by Kim Heun and Naimantai. The Goryeo warriors blocked their escape route and completely destroyed the pirates and nearly encircled and wiped out the Shogunate Army. Around 7,000 died, including high-ranking Ashikaga vassal Kira Sadayoshi (吉良貞義) as well as Suzuki, but they themselves killed around 6,000 Mongols.

The remnants of the army escaped south, conducting a scorched earth campaign and periodically skirmishing with the Mongols. They were relieved only by Takeda Tokitsuna, who advanced west upon hearing of the Mongol force in Ise. He struck at their flanks and raided their supply lines, but avoided direct confrontation due to being severely outnumbered. Nonetheless, this kept the Mongol force cautious and wary and prevented much of southern Ise and eastern Shima Province from being reconquered.

Leaving Dorotai and his brother Naimantai to finish off Ashikaga's army, Burilgitei rushed north and combined with forces with Nanghiyadai. Yet he would never get a chance to fight another battle against Takeda. Continued complaints from the central government forced Nanghiyadai to at last comply with the demands, returning 25,000 warriors to China after seven long years of warfare.

MrGxoyV.png

The Battle of Hazu, a decisive but costly Mongol victory, was the final major battle of the war

Final battles in the north

The 1304 defeat at Asahiyama in Dewa Province marked the high water mark of the Mongol invasion of Mutsu. Although the Japanese strategy of linking their forces in the north failed with the defeat at Tsubata in Echigo later that year, these battles held enough significance in weakening the local Mongol forces and delaying their continued advance. Nanghiyadai rejected requests for additional warriors, even ordering Chonghur to dispatch additional forces to him instead. Chonghur and Taxiala were thus ordered to consolidate ground.

In Mutsu, Taxiala retreated from Dewa, burning and looting as he went. This only aroused the fury of the surviving warriors in occupied lands and resulted in staunch resistance to Mongol foraging parties. He reoriented his goal toward sacking the large port of Tosa, defended by the walls of Fujisaki Castle where the treacherous Soga Yasumitsu had withdrawn toward.

Tosa itself had lost much of its prosperity from the war. Hong Jung-hui's fleet and most importantly, the coastal settlements he maintained, stopped practically all smuggling between the mainland and Tosa. Much of its commercial shipping had been lost from Hong's actions, who made sure the Shogunate could not use the grain and horses raised on the Tsugaru Plain to reinforce their forces. Many of Tosa's male residents had been forced into the Andou-suigun and perished in the war. Even so, Taxiala and the Mongol force still desired to capture the city and destroy their most bitter enemy--those in the Andou clan who served the Shogunate.

Spring 1305 saw the Mongols regain Etchuu Province, defeating Houjou Sadaaki once more, yet Houjou managed to keep his army intact and retreat to Echizen. At sea, Matsuura Sadamu destroyed much of a large reinforcement fleet of thirty warships and fifty cargo ships at the cost of sacrificing many of his surviving ships as fireships. Among the heroes of this battle was Matsuura's subordinate Nawa Nagatoshi (名和長年), son of Yukitaka who had been captured by the Mongols in 1293 following the fall of his home province Houki but had been convinced to leave his post as minor darughachi of a fishing village by Matsuura. Nawa's warriors rode a flaming ship that boarded the flagship of Yuan admiral Chu Ding (楚鼎), where they killed most of his crew and threw the admiral overboard before extinguishing the flames and seizing the ship for Japan. The admiral of the defeated fleet barely survived, floating at sea for nearly three days before being rescued whereupon he was sent to a remote post for his failure.

Constrained by lack of resupply, Chonghur still attempted to seize control of the Hokuriku, holding out some hope his efforts might convince Nanghiyadai--and the Imperial Court--of impending Yuan success. He clashed with the Shogunate army at Takada in western Echigo on May 20, 1305, intending to crush their outnumbered army with his 14,000 men. His attack was fierce and broke Japanese lines, but he was knocked from his horse by a stray arrow. Rumours spread in his army that Chonghur died and combined with a sudden thrust from Shogunate forces, the enemy attacked faded. The Shogunate army retreated in an orderly fashion in a battle that proved inconclusive to either side.

Meanwhile, the Shogunate performed little better in Mutsu. On July 2, they attempted to relieve the siege of Fujisaki, but at the advice of Ashina Morimune, the Mongols divided their force and met the 10,000 warriors of the Shogunate with only 6,000 men, keeping Soga besieged within Fujisaki. Ashina himself divided his men into two groups (the second being under Kira Tsuneuji) and on June 12 attacked the Japanese from both sides at night, using an excess of torches to make his numbers seem larger.

It was immensely successful--the storm of fire arrows routed the Japanese and let Ashina's men kill around 4,000 of them at little cost to their own men in what would be the last major Mongol victory of the Banpou Invasion. But the Japanese army did not disintegrate. Instead, the chinjufu-shogun ordered continual raids on the Mongol force, preventing their resupply and sending a visible signal to Soga and Andou that their army still remained in the field. Because of this, Fujisaki Castle did not fall no matter how fierce the Mongol advance was. Among these successful raids were those led by Takeda Nobumune, who in years to come was to take credit for preserving Fujisaki Castle.

T9anNVA.png

The Battle of Fujisaki was the final battle of the Banpou Invasion--like many others, it was a Mongol victory

News of the ceasefire reached the Mongol force in early August 1305--the deeply frustrated Taxiala returned to Ezo along with pro-Mongol garrisons in the north of that province, frustrated at yet another failure to conquer Mutsu. This ended the battles in the north as the Mongol force pillaged those areas of Mutsu they occupied in their withdrawal to Ezo. Thousands more peasants were abducted and displaced in the process and Mutsu was to suffer severe famine.

Tensei Truce

The ceasefire ending the Banpou Invasion was far more concrete than previous conflicts due to changing political circumstance in Japan. In March 1305, Nagasaki Enki refused to donate Houjou clan land to Houkou-ji (法興寺), a branch temple of Koufuku-ji founded by Saionji Sanekane's son Kakuen (覚円) in 1302 as a temporary temple for his family and the Fujiwara clan as a whole [5]. The reason appears to be related to both the Shogunate's finances and desire to avoid a powerful temple such as Koufuku-ji rebuilding its power--and warrior monk armies--as a challenger to the Shogunate.

In response, Saionji donated the land himself and began organising Houkou-ji's warrior monks, beginning a conspiracy against Nagasaki. He helped Shogun Takaharu organise a new unit of twelve warriors loyal only to him as Shogun, the Shogunal Attendants (御供衆), in order to spread his influence into the Shogunate. Further, Saionji enlisted the aid of retired Emperor Go-Uda and used his influence in both court and shogunate to levy great rewards for the Takeda clan, hoping to gain the last piece of what was a planned coup against the Nagasaki clan.

What Saionji Sanekane planned to do remains unknown. Likely he sought to raise a faction against Nagasaki within both Houjou clan and Shogunate, kill Nagasaki Enki, and scatter his clan to the winds. In preparation he ensured Adachi Tokiaki received the court title Governor of Mutsu, an honorary post his great-uncle Adachi Yasumori once held [6], whilst on the Shogunate side of the affair recruiting the high-ranking bureaucrats of the Nagao clan and crucially the Shogun himself to his plot. In this situation, Saionji likely would have issued an imperial decree to hunt down and kill Nagasaki Enki for corruption, mismanagement of imperial lands, and murder.

Yet Saionji remained wary of the potential for civil war should the plot go poorly. It was, after all, the largest court interference in Shogunate affairs since imperial regent Kujou Michiie's own plot in tandem with the Miura clan in 1247. Saionji thus sent an envoy to Sunomata, the increasingly fortified Mongol encampment where tens of thousands of Mongols sat encamped. There the Kamakura Shogunate negotiated a ceasefire with the Mongols--and the Kingdom of Japan.

Such an event marked a landmark in the Mongol Invasions, for neither imperial court nor Shogunate had ever made official ceasefires or treaties with the Mongols. In the past, they were only conducted on an adhoc basis in disputed areas due to the ardent assertion they had never lost territory and fought only rebels. Yet now the most powerful politician in Japan wished to sign a ceasefire, a shocking event for all parties involved.

The template and precedent for this event was the Chanyuan Treaty between the Song and Liao Dynasties in China exactly 300 years prior, the first time in Chinese history two emperors ever recognised the other. Termed the Tensei Treaty, proved surprisingly lenient, for at no point did it require the Japanese to officially renounce any territorial claims, nor recognise the legitimacy of the Kingdom of Japan or pledge allegiance to the Yuan Emperor. Saionji Sanekane agreed to its terms on July 19, 1305, ending the Banpou Invasion after seven years of war.

Ijuuin Hisachika and the minister Taira no Nakachika (平仲親) negotiated the terms for the Kingdom of Japan, and by extension the Yuan, although Nanghiyadai influenced the negotiations. Their counterpart was the elderly Saionji clan ally and minister Takashina no Shigetsune (高階重経) for Japan itself alongside the senior Rokuhara Tandai leader Houjou Sadakuni. In exchange for evacuating Mino, Mutsu, and Owari, the Shogunate transferred several partially occupied districts to Mongol rule in Ise, Echigo, and Shima. Ise Province was divided in two, with the interior mountainous districts to be controlled by the Kingdom of Japan as well as the port of Anotsu (安濃津) [7], its corresponding district, and all other districts of Ise south of it to the border of Shima Province, thus transferring the sacred Ise Grand Shrine to Hakata's control.

The Shogunate paid an exhorbitant fee for these relatively generous terms--2,000 taels of gold, 10,000 taels of silver, 20,000 horses, 20,000 bolts of silk, and 50,000 koku of rice [8]. All prisoners held by the Shogunate such as Gao Xing were to be released at once with no ransom paid. Additionally, they demanded 5,000 households and 100 Buddhist monks from each of Mino, Owari, Echigo, Mutsu, Shima, and Ise to be transferred to repopulate the devastated regions of Japan and pray for peace.

Further, the Kingdom of Japan demanded 1,000 craftsmen specialising in everything from shipbuilding to making ornaments for ceremonies be shipped to them. Several famous craftsmen were specified by name, including the swordsmith Masamune (正宗) whose blades were wielded by many Shogunate generals--Masamune had fled from Izumo Province to Sagami Province over a decade before in the Shou'ou Invasion.

No matter the costs, the Tensei Truce accomplished its goal of ending the most devastating conflict in Japanese history. No disaster beside perhaps the great Tenpyou Epidemic in the mid-8th century killed as many Japanese [9]. While casualties remain unknown, it is believed that around 15-20% of the Japanese population perished in the war, with losses in wartorn regions such as Western Japan, Mino and the western Tokaidou, the Hokuriku, and the north of Japan suffering a 25-35% drop in population. Heavy use of conscripts by both sides depleted the male population in many areas. Out of around 6 million Japanese (the number already depleted by the previous two invasions), at least 1 million died in battle, in massacres, or from the starvation and epidemics during the invasion caused by expropriation of food and soldiers.

The harsh costs of this treaty were immediately felt, for soon the households and craftsmen were relocated. These deportations, carried out by Houjou clan warriors, met with fierce resistance from the clans involved as well as do-ikki peasant rebels who protested the deportations. Saionji Sanekane ensured blame fell on the Houjou and their vassals, accusing them of agreeing to the seemingly harsh terms of peace. As for Takashina himself, the elderly minister had accepted the burden of his mission to avoid the blame falling on younger, more promising men--he committed suicide shortly after, joined shortly after by his wife.

Conflict broke out across remaining provinces under the Shogunate's control. In border provinces, bands of do-ikki refused deportation and aided villages that faced it. The populace in Kamakura rioted against high food prices, while warrior monks rebelled over treatment of guild members that served their temples. In every case, blame fell on the Houjou clan.

Nagasaki Enki never agreed to the armistice, yet was astounded when informed the Shogunate agreed to it. This was due to Shogun Takaharu secreting out his seal to Saionji, a grave betrayal of Nagasaki--and the Houjou clan. On August 1, Saionji sent demands to Nagasaki Enki to resign his post so leaders within the Houjou clan might appoint a new majordomo, one who would agree to far reduced powers for his post.

Although at this point Saionji's enmity lay solely with Nagasaki, prominent leaders within the Houjou clan interpreted this as an attempt to usurp their authority by using the Shogun and a few secretly disloyal lords. The two sides hurtled down the path toward exactly the scenario Saionji feared--a civil war. Yet not in Saionji's wildest dreams could he imagine the extents at which the conflict would reshape Japan.

---
Author's notes

This is it! This is the end of the arc regarding the Banpou Invasion which has taken up about 2/3 of this TL (20 chapters worth!). As you may have predicted, it ends in a mutual stalemate. Temur Khan is manipulated into ending the conflict on terms highly favourable to the Mongols. The size of Japan and its topography is indeed a most formidable challenge to the Mongols, particularly since both OTL and TTL they still have to deal with a lot of economic issues in funding their numerous conflicts.

The next entry or two will be tying up loose ends regarding the conflict between the Saionji family and the Houjou. After that I will cover the aftermath of the conflict in both the Kingdom of Japan (i.e. how they deal with incorporating all that land as well as the Miura-Shouni rivalry), the Yuan (the remaining years of Temur Khan's rule), as well as a few updates regarding the world as a whole since there are resolutions to conflicts such as the war between Kaidu and the Yuan, Burma, etc. which I haven't shown. I will also progressively update this TL with maps as well when I have time.

As ever, thank you for reading this.

[1] - Today the castle is known as Gifu Castle and is among the few castles still standing in Japan
[2] - Aleksandr Zakharievich's OTL son, Dmitry Aleksandrovich Zerno. Little is known about him other than his parentage and his service to Ivan I Kalita of Moscow. His age is unknown but he probably is not butterflied TTL and I'd assume his father might have requested he come to Japan with him.
[3] - Since the Heian era, land surveys in Japan were done on an adhoc basis primarily by the people who actually managed the estate rather than the courtiers who owned them, hence the central government rarely had accurate records. This was due to the risk of opening boundary disputes with adjoining manors (or public lands) or having tribute demands increased, hence why those attempting inspection were often expelled by force. Indeed, Toyotomi Hideyoshi's land survey was revolutionary simply because he could conduct one on a national scale.
[4] - Masamune rarely signed his swords, but let's say for the sake of the story that this was one of those rare examples
[5] - Fictional temple from TTL--the Hossou sect was always small and didn't seem to have much of a presence in medieval Kamakura. But as Koufuku-ji was the Fujiwara clan's chief temple and Saionji Sanekane (as a Fujiwara) seems to have had some affiliation with it as, I feel he'd try and maintain its power by helping them found a branch temple
[6] - Due to Mutsu Province's size and wealth, it was a highly prestigious post, and like all governorships by this point in time had no relation to actually governing the province in question
[7] - Anotsu today is simply called Tsu and is the capital of Mie Prefecture
[8] - A little over 7,000 tons. Note the koku TTL is about 5.5% smaller than OTL because it uses the renmasu (鎌枡) as its base for measurement (see Chapter X).
[9] - The Tenpyou Epidemic was a smallpox epidemic that struck Japan from 735-737. It was possibly a virgin soil epidemic in some or all of Japan and killed about 25-35% of the population.

Last edited:
"Damn them all, the barbarians, the traitors! Cowardice has infected the blood of Yamato, grovelling for mercy where none is found! If the Shogun prefers to bend the knee, then I will take up the sword myself." - Last known correspondance of an unknown noble in Kamakura.

It ends with two Japans it seems, both battered and weakened but still dreaming of one day unifying the Land of The Rising Sun once again. Amazing chapter as always, can we get a map of how the two realms are divided please?