Robert Falcon Scott survives returning from the South Pole

Why should Scott have just followed the established leaders...?

Because they lived to be able to offer to others the wisdom of their experiences. Do you deny that Nansen advised Scott to rely on dogs (even as such a sentimental man as he was) because only dogs could do the job required and if you do, I will call you a liar. Regardless that they had to be used and then discarded, the poles at that time in history required such measures to succeed. Scott laid One Ton Deport short of its intended latitude to alleviate the suffering of his party's ponies only to have it out of reach when his own survival was in the balance.

In the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration, a polar explorer had to be almost brutal to survive let alone succeed. It wasn't personal...it was business and Scott as a businessman was run over and flattened by his competition . Although often quite an arrogant asshole, Amundsen was the consummate professional polar explorer and traveller. Scott in comparison was little more than a wannabe boy scout attempting to play in a game where is wasn't just win or lose but simply to live or to die and we all know how that story ended. One trip to the pole and back done almost surgically in its precise planning and execution and the other done as what can only be described as a circus of the clowns. MANHAULING sledges for 1800miles for Christ's sake!

And enough with the endless reminder about the Convoy and Coral Reef...you've brought it up over and over but nobody cares especially myself. You must enjoy being so pedantic?

Last edited:
Of course, Scott became a mythical hero in his failure but what kind of public hero would he have become if he had survived to return to the UK
the sacrifice IS the heroism. it is a very British story - we don't like losers but we do like a tragic failure with defeat snatched form the jaws of victory especially if those who take part do so correctly, behave like Englishmen and fall at the final hurdle. If you can be killed doing so then even better!

Alive there are going to be lots of questions about the decisions he took.

Shackleton became a hero for a complete failure of a later expedition to Antarctica as he got his men back alive.
While i agree it is only relatively recently Shackleton has been "rediscovered" - He still doesn't have the same cachet as Scott. People admire the journey and the leadership but they dont admire the man as they do with Scott.

BTW - Shackleton getting his men home is basically impossible. it should not have been possible ( ice crushing ship, living on floes, boating about the artic, somehow hitting a tiny island, surviving there, boating across the worst ocean on earth, again hitting a tiny island, mountaineering with no gear, glaciers etc etc etc ) but he did it. It is incredible.

What criteria are they going to put forward for his disqualification?
He is a forign.

BTW - Shackleton getting his men home is basically impossible. it should not have been possible ( ice crushing ship, living on floes, boating about the artic, somehow hitting a tiny island, surviving there, boating across the worst ocean on earth, again hitting a tiny island, mountaineering with no gear, glaciers etc etc etc ) but he did it. It is incredible.
The entire story becomes more and more unbelievable as it progressed and the line between Shackleton's skill and luck becomes more and more blurred. By the time he departed Elephant Island in the JAMES CAIRD it becomes very hard to deny that there was some guiding hand at play.

Last edited:
The entire story becomes more and more unbelievable as it progressed and the line between Shackleton's skill and luck becomes more and more blurred. By the time he departed Elephant Island in the JAMES CAIRD it becomes very hard to deny that there was some guiding hand at play.
Sometimes people do the impossible. Not to mention the man was very much the determinator and wouldn't let his men give up either.

Because they lived to be able to offer to others the wisdom of their experiences. Do you deny that Nansen advised Scott to rely on dogs (even as such a sentimental man as he was) because only dogs could do the job required of them? And if you do, I will call you a liar. Regardless that they had to be used and then discarded, the poles at that time in history required such measures to succeed. Scott laid One Ton Deport short of its intended latitude to alleviate the suffering of his party's ponies only to have it out of reach when his own survival was in the balance.

In the Romantic Period of Antarctic Exploration, a polar explorer had to be almost brutal to survive let alone succeed. It wasn't personal...it was business and Scott as a businessman was run over and flattened by his competition . Although often quite an arrogant asshole, Amundsen was the consummate professional polar explorer and traveller. Scott in comparison was little more than a wannabe boy scout at the game where is wasn't just win or lose but simply to live or to die. We all know how that story ended. One trip to the pole and back done almost surgically in its precision the other done as what can only be described as a circus of the clowns.

And enough with the endless reminder about the Convoy and Coral Reef...you've brought it up over and over but nobody cares especially myself. You must enjoy being so pedantic?

You missed the points completely.

1- I have never said that Nansen didn't advise Scott to rely on dogs alone. The point you repeatedly ignore is that was perfectly reasonable in the circumstances for Scott to ALSO take lessons from people like Shackleton, who got closer to a pole than Nansen ever did, and did it down south where the conditions are very different and where Nansen did not go.

It is utterly illogical to claim that Scott should have thrown away the example of Shackleton merely because of the example of Nansen, who did not get as close to a pole and was not going for the same pole.

It is also utterly illogical to imply that a polar explorer should always follow the example of those who were successful in earlier expeditions, because Nansen himself did not follow the example of those who were successful in earlier expeditions.

2- If Amundsen was so much better, why did he amass a record of two successful expeditions and two utter failures, ie about 50% success?

- If Scott was so bad why did he lead one successful expedition and one that succeeded admirably in some respects and partly succeeded in another, ie about 50% success?

- If Nansen was so perfect then why did he lead one successful expedition and one that succeeded admirably in some respects and completely failed in another? Nansen's Fram expedition FAILED in its main aim. It did not reach the pole. It succeeded in other aims. but Nansen did not have a perfect record and was not perfect himself - he made mistakes he was lucky to survive.

3- The point about the coral reef is twofold - one, that you don't follow the course you abuse Scott for not following. Your point (apart from simply throwing insults) is mainly that Scott should have followed the expertise of a proven expert - but you don't do that yourself. You advocated an invasion convoy of Buna and Goa, which ignored the expertise of the experts who were there. You ignore the argument of Fiennes, an expert polar explorer. You ignore the facts put forward by Susan Solomon, an expert on Antarctic weather and a proven polar expert. You ignore the articles by Alt, an Antarctic expert. on why it was reasonable for Scott to drop the plan to take the dogs to the pole

It is illogical for you to criticise Scott for not following the advice of an expert when you do not follow the advice of experts yourself. Surely that is such a simple breach of logic that you can understand it? Why do you criticise Scott for not doing something that you don't do? Why the double standard?

Secondly, the example of the coral reef shows that your arguments repeatedly ignore simple geographical facts. It is a geographical fact that the invasion route you claim the Allies should have taken for north New Guinea was impassable because of coral reefs. It is also a geographical fact that the Arctic (where Nansen had his experience) is very different to the Antarctic, where Scott had led a successful expedition and Nansen had never been.

It is illogical to ignore relevant geographical facts. It was reasonable for Scott to take a different approach to a very different geographical area.

4- It is simply a lie to state that Scott's expedition "can only be described as a circus of the clowns". Many people who vastly more about the subject than you do have described it as a considerable success in one of its main goals, that of scientific study of the Antarctic. They did so in places like American scientific journals (which have no reason to be biased) and before Scott's fate was known so it is illogical to claim that they did so for biased reasons.

Scott's second expedition lead to a 550 page scientific report. It's stated by people like museum curators to be "an important scientific expedition that carried out work across many fields.” The Antarctic Heritage Trust says "extensive geological field work had been achieved by the northern and western parties, an impressive scientific and surveying programme was concluded and the second ascent was made of Mount Erebus. Very thorough meteorological records were kept, and these still provide useful base data today"

Are you really going to claim that you know more about the scientific value of the expedition than such sources do?

You insulted Scott for carrying rocks - but Wilson asked him to, and everyone on the expedition knew that science was a major aim and that it would conflict with both their own safety and the polar trip. If you take on a trip like that then you know that the science may imperil your life, and you accept that.

Scott's expedition was NOT a circus - it did well at one of its primary goals, it achieved another primary goal (to make the pole) and it failed in two. It was neither a great success or a great failure.

Please don't make untrue claims in the future and if you do make stuff up (as with the ridiculous claim that Nansen had more polar experience than everyone else combined) it would be nice if you could actually be honest and admit that your statements were completely incorrect.

5- The point about Nansen's feelings about the dogs was that it shows Huntford's bias. He criticised Scott for being sentimental when Nansen and his companion were also sentimental. Becoming sentimental about animal suffering in arctic exploration doesn't show any character flaw like Huntford claims - it's perfectly normal.

Huntford's book repeatedly shows similar anti-Scott bias, so much that there have even been articles about why Huntford became so biased. Huntford is not a reliable source.

Last edited:
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm kind of curious about it.

As noted earlier the point is that;

1 - Steel Captain's main argument about Scott (as distinct from his simplistic insults) is that Scott should have accepted that Nansen, an expert in the field, was right. But Steel Captain doesn't accept that other experts in fields he discusses are right - he repeatedly says they stuffed up.

It's illogical for Steel Captain to effectively say "Scott must accept that experts are right, but Steel Captain doesn't have to accept that experts are right".

The example I used was from another thread where he said that the Allies in WW2 stuffed up by not invading northern New Guinea via an invasion convoy. That's just one example where SC feels that he doesn't have to accept that the experts who were there were right.

There's a very obvious inconsistency here - either people should be allowed to differ to experts in the field (in which case it was reasonable for Scott to differ to Nansen, who hadn't even been to the South Pole and hadn't been as close to any pole as Shackleton got with ponies) or people should just follow the lead of experts (in which case Steel Captain should also follow the lead of experts in all areas, like military strategy).

2- Steel Captain's claim was that the Allies should have attacked Buna and Goa in northern New Guinea by sea in WW2 by using an invasion convoy, not by land. But the passage to those areas is choked with coral reefs, was almost completely uncharted, and even when charted was impassable even for destroyers. It could not be used by an invasion convoy at the time. The only other route was on the doorstep of the largest Japanese base in the SWPA so also geographically impractical.

The point is that Steel Captain criticised the choice of experts without even bothering to look at the geography of the area, which is one of the most basic factors in his ill-conceived plan, in Scott's reception of Nansen's advice, his change of plan regarding the dogs, and his death.

Scott was going to use the dogs for the Polar trip - he changed his mind largely because of the danger of deep crevasses, which was a problem that Nansen didn't encounter because the north pole is fundamentally different to the south pole geographically. He didn't reject Nansen's advice entirely as SC seems to imply - he changed his mind because of geography and other factors.

Simply put, people cannot repeatedly ignore geography when it's a vital factor in the decisions they are insulting.

Last edited:
Warning
Amundsen pulled off the pole brilliantly while with the British is was mistake and misstep from the gitgo. Not only did Scott lose his race with the Norwegian but he and his four companions ended up dead! You and all other Scott apologists (Ranulph Fiennes, Karen May, et all) can use all the excuses you want but the evidence on its face is he planned poorly and executed even worse. A true circus led by a genuine clown!

Last edited:
Since some of your arguments are utterly false and many of them are completely inconsistent and contradictory, the fact that you believe stuff that is not true is not surprising.

Last edited:
Oh, and on the weird and dishonest claims that the RGS would have tried to discredit Amundsen - it should be known that the RGS had given Amundsen one of its two equal top prizes in 1907. They didn't give Scott either prize for his second expedition although they gave his scientist Wilson a posthumous prize - hardly evidence of bias towards Scott.

Since 1900 the RGS had given medals to a Russian, two Norwegians, an Argentinian, a Hungarian, two Frenchmen, a Canadian, and someone from Monaco. For an organisation based in Britain to give nine medals to "foreigners" in 12 years is hardly evidence of serious bias. To claim that it would have rejected the claims of the very man it had already awarded one of its major medals to is a bit weird.

Let me make it as simple as I can for you sir...Amundsen won the prize and easily made it home to tell the world while Scott came in 2nd and died in the process. Amundsen was the superior polar traveller and explorer while Scott was inferior. It is only how inferior he was that is questioned? Is this something you dispute? Was Scott really superior to Amundsen as a polar traveller but he just had cursed bad luck? BULLSHIT to that I say!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has argued Scott was a superior explorer to Amundsen, or if they have I have badly misunderstood their arguments.

But "Scott was not a moron." and "Scott could do no wrong." are two pretty distinct things to my eyes.

Last edited:
But "Scott was not a moron." and "Scott could do no wrong." are two pretty distinct things to my eyes.
Fair enough and I am sure you have noted my utter distain for the concept of manhauling which is really where I take Scott to task. This belief that men pulling sledges behind themselves in that brutally harsh environment was somehow much more noble that using dogs just boggles my mind and it seriously taints my opinion of Scott as a polar explorer. I truly believe he "wanted" to manhaul which is why so few dogs were taken although advised otherwise by the preeminent polar traveller of the preceding quarter century.

I don't think anyone has argued Scott was a superior explorer to Amundsen, or if they have I have badly misunderstood their arguments.

Exactly. Amundsen was probably a superior explorer, but most of the criticisms of Scott on this thread are wrong - just as many of the statements used in the anti-Scott arguments are simply completely wrong and contradictory.

Fair enough and I am sure you have noted my utter distain for the concept of manhauling which is really where I take Scott to task. This belief that men pulling sledges behind themselves in that brutally harsh environment was somehow much more noble that using dogs just boggles my mind and it seriously taints my opinion of Scott as a polar explorer. I truly believe he "wanted" to manhaul which is why so few dogs were taken although advised otherwise by the preeminent polar traveller of the preceding quarter century.

It's hard to tell how much its an utter disdain for manhauling specifically vs. an utter disdain for anything that might suggest the British in general or Scott in particular were anything other than a caricature, to be honest.

I'm not familiar enough with the pros and cons of sled dogs in Antarctica to meaningfully criticize or defend Scott's choices, but reducing it to "Scott was a complete clown who should have listened to this over any other advice or any other things that might come into it." is not a very convincing argument.

Last edited:

Really? So that means you believe that Huntford's book is wrong. Huntford clearly says that Scott did NOT believe in the nobility of man hauling by the time of his second exploration - he says that Scott had "discarded man hauling" and totally changed his belief that man-hauling was the "noble way". So after saying you believed Huntford you now say you don't believe Huntford.

For any readers who may be interested in the facts; Scott had decided earlier that motor sledges were a way to get to the pole and had written a paper on it. In the paper he notes "A glance at the figures ... for men haulage will show that it cannot be done in that way,......It is only in considering the possibility of motor traction that the problem becomes practical.... ". Interestingly Langner in "Duel in the Ice" says that Amundsen was very concerned that the motor sledges could give Scott the critical advantage - that is something that people who abuse Scott for his trust in them never bring up. If Amundsen thought that dogs were obviously better then he wouldn't have been worried about the motor sleds (which in the event proved to be unreliable, of course).

The facts - and yes they are facts and not venom-laced bias - was that Scott said from the start he was going to use dogs. As early as when writing the prospectus for the expedition, Scott had clearly written that "a picked party of men and dogs will make the final dash across the inland ice sheet". As Cambridge University Press' "Polar Record" Vol 57 2021 says, Scott continued to put his trust in dogs even after reaching Antarctica, when he wrote "I believe these animals [the dogs] are going to do very good work, but of course there are not sufficient to do the whole journey alone – relying on the ponies I propose to reserve the best efforts of the dogs for the last part of the route". In February 1911 he was writing “The way in which they keep up a steady jog trot for hour after hour is wonderful”. It was later that month that he experienced the major issue of dog teams falling into crevasses - not a problem for Nansen on the very different ice of the North Pole.

Anyone who claims that Scott believed he would man haul all the way is ignorant or lying. As Alp clearly explains in the "Polar Record" article, it wasn't until February 1911 when other problems and the issue of dog teams being problematic in crevasses made him change his mind. It is therefore utterly dishonest or ignorant to claim that Scott planned to man haul to the pole. Scott did not believe in man hauling all the way, and he didn't do it - he used ponies, motor sledges and dogs as well.

Oh, and as far as man-hauling being such a stupid idea, look at reality - several expeditions had set records with it. And look at this;

Nansesn_Gr_I.jpg

What fool is leading this man-hauled sledge expedition? Nansen, that's who. Man hauling wasn't ideal but it was proven and used by Nansen and others. So logically anyone who has an "utter disdain for man hauling" must extend that disdain to when it was used by the admirable Nansen, as well.

Or is man hauling, just like dying on the ice, OK when a Norwegian does it, but not OK when Scott does it?

Last edited:
Interestingly Langner in "Duel in the Ice" says that Amundsen was very concerned that the motor sledges could give Scott the critical advantage

This raises some interesting points on Amundsen's assessment of how much of a challenge he thought Scott was, and from what I've read of Amundsen (not a great deal, in all honesty) does not suggest he'd err on the side of overrating Scott or perhaps more accurately, underrating his own abilities and plans.

Not to cast aspersions on those - heavens no - but in a field that is marked by a fair amount of self-confidence in both the most and least successful explorers, he's certainly not an exception.

Disqualify him because he is a foreigner? What?
Amundsen? He isn't British so therefore not a decent chap so therefore unlikely to have really made it to the pole first and even if he did he cheated by lying about his plans, preparing properly, using dogs, taking enough rations, not doing loads of science and surviving.

As I said: not a proper chap and certainly NOT a member of any British club for proper British chaps!