Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Well A) use a better and thinner font, b) when you turn the curved text to a selection, choose the feather border option (set to 1 pixel) to make the edges of the text non-pixelated, c) increase the letter seperation on some of those.

Also it looks like you stroked some of those text paths (the palestine and greece ones) rather than got a selection from them.

Also you may not have set your Image->Mode to RBG rather than Indexed, that enables better alterations and generally smoother curves (Indexed is for when you want smaller file sizes and less system resources used)

See here is unfeathered and 'feathered' seperated text selections (effectively aliased and anti-aliased), with the second feather one set to reduced opacity to make it look more awesome.
cwizhelp.png

Edit: On closer inspection your png image settings are set to indexed - thus stopping you from having soft edges, change it to RGB.

Wow, MoF 6 is rather unpopular.

Sorry - I would have had one by now, but it occured to me that industrial revolution =/= scientific revolution, then I started thinking on the effects of several centuries of burning coal and later oil before nuclear or solar arrive, and I scrapped my first try.

Bruce

Well A) use a better and thinner font, b) when you turn the curved text to a selection, choose the feather border option (set to 1 pixel) to make the edges of the text non-pixelated, c) increase the letter seperation on some of those.

Also it looks like you stroked some of those text paths (the palestine and greece ones) rather than got a selection from them.

Also you may not have set your Image->Mode to RBG rather than Indexed, that enables better alterations and generally smoother curves (Indexed is for when you want smaller file sizes and less system resources used)

See here is unfeathered and 'feathered' seperated text selections (effectively aliased and anti-aliased), with the second feather one set to reduced opacity to make it look more awesome.
cwizhelp.png

Edit: On closer inspection your png image settings are set to indexed - thus stopping you from having soft edges, change it to RGB.
I kind of stroked... all of them. How do you turn it into a selection?

I kind of stroked... all of them. How do you turn it into a selection?

Select the text path in the Path menu, and choose Path to Selection (or one of the boolean selection options below it), literally just above the stroke path button! Stroking text is the major reason it looks shitty then ;).

Also change your image mode from indexed to RGB!

Select the text path in the Path menu, and choose Path to Selection (or one of the boolean selection options below it), literally just above the stroke path button! Stroking text is the major reason it looks shitty then ;).

Also change your image mode from indexed to RGB!
OK, I did that... now it jhas white stuff next to the green lines.
What next? How do I fill it?

OK, I did that... now it jhas white stuff next to the green lines.
What next? How do I fill it?

...with the fill tool (set to fill whole selection)? The white flashing lines are the outline of your selection, whilst the greenlines are the path overlay (go to the path menu to make them not appear).

Seriously the rest of the map makes it look like you knew the GIMP basics ;).

...with the fill tool (set to fill whole selection)? The white flashing lines are the outline of your selection, whilst the greenlines are the path overlay (go to the path menu to make them not appear).

Seriously the rest of the map makes it look like you knew the GIMP basics ;).
Most of the rest was done in Paint.Net.
I'm trying to fill it, but the bucket has a crossed circle sign (similar to no smoking) over it.
The last action I did, by the way, is shown in the menu - "Path to Selection".

Sorry - I would have had one by now, but it occured to me that industrial revolution =/= scientific revolution, then I started thinking on the effects of several centuries of burning coal and later oil before nuclear or solar arrive, and I scrapped my first try.

Bruce

That idea never even occured to me when I formulated the topic, industrial and scientific are really linked in the popular conception.

Well, I'm working on an entry, although I found it hard to devise something original. I wanted to use my unused idea from the first MoF - clack towers, but decided against it, as the vastness of China really doesn't fit the range limits on any such technology. But I got another, rather bland, idea now and am trying to create something out of it.

My submission is up. It's nothing spectacular, and I probably have made a fair share of ASBish mistakes with names and borders, but there you go :)

EDIT: Oh, and I hope I am allowed to at least put a submission up, if not participate in the voting :)

Alex Richards - it's an interesting take on the subject. I like the idea, even if the implementation could have been much better.

Intriguing suggestion.

My Idea :

More organized civilizations outside of civilized Old World

In Mississipi Valley, Willamete Valley, Southern Australia, and even Caribbean archipelago there could had been civilizations sprang up there. But are they the whole candidates ? Or there can be some more places as well ? Like in Amazon valley, Great Lakes region, or maybe even somewhere in Africa, south of Zimbabwe ?

Would "Native-Punk World" be a better enough name to summarize up the above ?

Wow... no response nor comments.... ? :(

And to rebound the age-old neglected suggestions.... :

A Map from a world where Mehmed II managed to conquer Italy.

The Ottomans don't need to be still staying around pass 1810, really, but at least the scar left on Europe by the Ottoman conquest of Italy must be evident. No "Christians become berserk and then pwns muslim world" and "the inherently damned Ottomons" cliches, nor even an Islam bukkake, because those things will just make you appear unbalanced.

Muslims in the New World

The theme's name is mostly self explanatory. PoD after the OTL death of Roderic of the Visigoths. Again, doesn't have to lead in an Islam-wank. This theme though, simply can't possibly contain a Christian world that's even as strong as IOTL, mind you.

No Invitation of the Moors by Count Julian to invade Spain

At the very least, not as IOTL....

More successful Christianity east of Oman, in a world where Islam exists!

Yeah, the Asiatic Christians of course. It'll be much more interesting than just a Christian-wank in a world without Islam. ;)

A World without Jacobin Era

World without the concept of Crusade as we know it

A world where a form of Industrial Revolution happened between 1000 AD and 1700 AD.

In anywhere possible ! :cool:

A Map from a world where any of OTL Yuan maritime expeditions gained more success.

Either to Java or to Japan. Both is fine too :cool: How much more successful is up to you

Just want to rebound my suggestions back then :

.... with several additions :

Alternative Europe

"Europe" as in "a region that is big enough in terms of geographical area and population, with enough resources, balkanized and diverse enough culturally but basically can be considered as a one single cultural sphere (much like Europe), that several powerful factions residing in it are/have a history in engaging in colonial adventures in other region(s) overseas. Make a Europe out of a region that can fulfill the categories I've mentioned for being a "Europe"(for example, India. But it is hoped to be able to be done in other regions as well. Maybe a balkanized China or a somehow more advanced East Indies can do ?). It can be either a regional or a global map. PoD no earlier than 500BC. The rest is up to you.

The World where the Muslims manage to conquer Constantinople during Medieval Era

The PoD must be after the OTL assassination of Caliph Umar ibn Khattab. Constantinople must be in Islamic hand before 1200AD.

The World where the Rashidun Caliphate managed to conquer Makuria.

Doesn't matter which battle of Dongola the Caliphate would prevail over. But the PoD must be after the OTL accession of Umar as Caliph, and obviously before the establishment of Baqt.

Ridwan Asher said:

More organized civilizations outside of civilized Old World

A Map from a world where Mehmed II managed to conquer Italy.

Muslims in the New World

Alternative Europe

I like these ideas, the first and last because they are open-ended and could end up with some very interesting and original maps. The second and third are also good, I think it's about time for something Islam-themed and those two are the most promising IMO.