Best monarch or head of state to kill off early for a more prosperous future

For France, it sort of breaks my heart to say that but... Louis XVI.
I am pretty sure OTL Louis XVIII would've managed to deal with most of the issues and avoid the French Revolution. (And, yes, I know it implies Charles X would still be his successor but, without the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Empire, the world would be different and I think Charles' reign would be okay).

Removing him wouldn't change very much if anything. The Great War would still occur in 1914 regarless who is kaiser.

I ratherly would remove Nicholas II or Franz Joseph I.
If others in the thread hadn't (rightly) said him I would have probably gone with Nicky.

FJ isn't great but I feel KW is worse, but reasonable people can disagree of course.

Kaiser Wilhelm II.
Right away (let us say, 2 weeks after the death of his father), with making 1888 a 4-Kaiser year?

Interesting having a six year old Kaiser, Friedrich Wilhelm V.
Prinz Heinrich (his uncle) would probably become regent.
We would see Bismarck in office until he dies.
The chancellor would not have the chance to build his own legend.
Pretty much everyone will be glad when he dies.
This prolongs the anti catholic and anti Social democratic policy.
And weakens the position of the Kaiser.

Which of the catholic monarchs was more responsible for Spanish policy in the Americas and expelling Spain's Jews and Muslims?

Because that one.

In America, neither. You can blame the conquistadores themselves, who often were acting against the crown's directives.

As for the Jews, Isabel.

As for the muslims, neither - that was Philip III.

Removing him wouldn't change very much if anything. The Great War would still occur in 1914 regarless who is kaiser.

I ratherly would remove Nicholas II or Franz Joseph I.
Eh . Nothing is set in stone. Especially pre 1900. Post 1900. I have a bag of folks we would be better off with out or at least I can think early retirement would be beneficial.

But Wilhelm the II not being himself or dead could and more then likely would have radical changes. Maybe instead of willy we get someone a bit more cordial to the British whilst still being strong. Germany didn't have to nor did it really need to do colonies and such or build a navy and taunt the British with it.

Yes the French were itching for a rematch but 1on 1 were going to loose. Doesn't mean the British were going to buddy up for that and go to war if a lot of things are different.

So eh

I'll start with Nicholas II of Russia. Because God grief that was a terrible ruler.

And maybe John I of England too, even if I have a soft spot for him.

Kill off King John and you kill off Magna Carta. Which is suboptimal of you are looking to a prosperous future

Last edited:
Aurangzeb. Maybe replace him with his elder brother who was more tolerant. This singlehandedly could have prolonged the mughals and maybe prevents the imperialism of India.

Easily Genghis Khan as he was responsible for tearing apart multiple civilisations. Song Dynasty China; the Islamic Golden Age; Novgorod as part of Scandinavian culture and the now forgotten cultures around modern-day Uzbekistan all fell into ruin under the horde's wrath, setting human progress back at least 300 years. The Mongol conquests propelled Europe from a poor backwater to the most technologically advanced region on the planet by killing off the innovative cultures of Asia and replacing them with hyper-conservative husks.

Charles I. Also his two eldest sons. Let Henry Stuart be the heroic Protestant King of Britain, supported by Lord Protector Henry Ireton and Captain General Henry Cromwell :closedeyesmile: A trio of Henries that usher a new golden age for Britain heheehe.

Easily Genghis Khan as he was responsible for tearing apart multiple civilisations. Song Dynasty China; the Islamic Golden Age; Novgorod as part of Scandinavian culture and the now forgotten cultures around modern-day Uzbekistan all fell into ruin under the horde's wrath, setting human progress back at least 300 years. The Mongol conquests propelled Europe from a poor backwater to the most technologically advanced region on the planet by killing off the innovative cultures of Asia and replacing them with hyper-conservative husks.

Genghis Khan would be one of intresting character to be removed from history. Song China anyway was already falling apart when it was conquered. Novgorod would probably be unifier of Russia and perhaps Russia becomes more European nation.

And Islamic Golden Age would continue longer. Byzantine unfortunately probably would collapse much earlier.

Sebastian of Portugal.
Replace him with Teodósio de Bragança and start the Bragança dinasty a generation earlier.
Depending on the year he dies the heir could be Don Carlos of Asturias,the son of Philip II and Maria Manuela of Portugal.
If Sebastian dies after Don Carlos, then the next heir would still be Cardinal Dom Henrique. But by then Duarte, Duke of Guimarães, the brother of Catherine, Duchess of Braganza, would still be alive. You can either make the Pope accept Henrique renouncing his vows in order to marry or make Duarte find a wife and have heirs. In both cases you can keep the House of Avis ruling Portugal.

IMO and I hate to say this, but what about Suleiman the Magnificent? Yes, he was one of the greatest rulers in Ottoman history, but in his later years, his reign was mired with familial struggle between his sons on who should succeed him, which lead to the deaths of Mustafa, and Mehmed, leading to Selim becoming sultan.

Had Suleiman died before 1553, Mustafa could’ve been the next sultan with the support of the Janissaries. And from what I’ve been told of him, he seemed pretty capable