Alternate warships of nations

That moment in Rules the Waves 2 you defeat both the Germans and Russian Navies at the same time as the USN, but because of a bug when the territories you want to annex comes up and doesn't work and you get nothing for this massive victory.

That moment in Rules the Waves 2 you defeat both the Germans and Russian Navies at the same time as the USN, but because of a bug when the territories you want to annex comes up and doesn't work and you get nothing for this massive victory.
*Remembers my victories against Japan and Germany*
Pathetic

... a bit more fun .... besides, the Royal Navy just cannot have enough handsome three-funnel dreadnoughts ...

upload_2019-8-2_14-43-56.png

As each of the 13.5” gunned classes of the Royal Navy would have a battle cruiser derivative, so too would the Queen Elizabeth’s. However, initially it was felt that such ship would be redundant with the higher design speed of the Queen Elizabeth’s. Being that as it may, with the ongoing concerns being raised regarding the newer German battle cruisers and their arguable superiority over their existing RN contemporaries, the decision was made to approve the Agincourt class ships.

Initially, there was only to be a single vessel, however with the news of the three new Derfflinger class ships being built for the High Seas Fleet, along with further improved versions in the works as well, the Admiralty was able to convince the cabinet that a further two of the class should be built as well; the additional pairs construction displacing two of the planned R class battleships that followed the Queen Elizabeth’s.

The Agincourt’s were true heavy weights, and although referred to as battle cruisers, they were arguably the first of what would be come to be known as fast battleships. Their armoured scheme, while only slightly thinner than the Queen Elizabeth’s that preceded them, was better thought out, as well as more comprehensive and uniform.

While there had been some pressure to see the design speed increased along the lines of Admiral Fisher’s old desires for 30 knots plus, such nonsense was soon pushed aside due to its negative impact on not only the gross increase in size of the vessels, but also in how it would restrict other aspects of the design as well.

The final result would see the class carrying the same eight-gun battery as the Queen Elizabeth’s, with a armoured scheme centered on a 12” main belt, and a designed speed of 28 knots, although none of the class would develop more than 27 knots without risk of straining their engines.

HMS Agincourt would be the first to join the Grand Fleet just in late 1915, While HMS Defiance and HMS Sans Pariel would both be available for the decisive Battle of Jutland. All three ships would see varying levels of upgrading in the interbellum years, and would serve with distinction in the Second World War.

Most of the designs I have seen for intermediate battlecruisers between the Big Cats and the Admirals have names along the lines of Panther or Cheetah. Tzoli has a good colored line drawing floating around.

Capture.JPG

I made a raiding heavy cruiser meant to dominate the merchant vessels and local forces of far off regions.
Should've built a real B instead.

Capture.JPG

I made a raiding heavy cruiser meant to dominate the merchant vessels and local forces of far off regions.
Should've built a real B instead.
Or rely on torpedo boats, mines and aubmarines to defend your coaat and go all in for merchant raiders and colonial cruisers in a juene-ecole doctrine. (I am not French so excuse the misspelling.

Here's an interesting question what do you think the effects of having the maximum tonnage of cruisers and battleships being 12,500 and 37,500 tons standard displacement respectively from the Washington and London naval treaties would have on warship design? Would we for example see faster Nelsons?

5" belt's just asking to get killed by normal 8" armed cruisers. How'd she fair in your use of her?
I had to shut down the game so I don't know.
But I have a better story! :)

For my CSA campaign, I put my 10 inch gunned battleships as raiders and sent them to Northern Europe to operate from Spain (Who is my ally) Then this shit show occurred
My Battleship:
LS.JPG

(Legacy build)

Here's the Frenchie:
DS.JPG

And this is how I ended the battle

Results.JPG

++Snip++
HMS Agincourt would be the first to join the Grand Fleet just in late 1915, While HMS Defiance and HMS Sans Pariel would both be available for the decisive Battle of Jutland. All three ships would see varying levels of upgrading in the interbellum years, and would serve with distinction in the Second World War.
Can we assume this is another TL that diverges pre 1914?
HMS Agincourt will of course be the Gin Palace otherwise.
HMS Defiance is the RN's torpedo training base (Since 1894 it has been a shore establishment).
HMS Sans Pariel (Victoria Class) was scrapped in 1907 so that name is ok :)

I don't know if this is right thread to ask, but I was messing around in Springsharp because I suddenly had the urge to craft a good light cruiser which can serve as a surface raider and coordinate groups of submarines in raiding warfare. This ship needs to operate in the Pacific, including polar waters, so should be rather sturdy. It should be 1930s in terms of "tech level", and the closest OTL nation (in terms of economy, demographics, strategic position, etc.) to who's deploying it is OTL Chile (or a much more successful Peru which won the War of the Pacific and joined the dreadnought race with Argentina and Brazil). I was inspired by the British Leander-class CLs and Japanese CLs like the Agano and Tone-class CLs. If we insert this into our alt-Chile, this ship is intended to be able to conduct a commerce war against any potential opponent, be it Argentina, Peru, or other Latin American countries, but also the great powers like Japan, France, Britain, or even the United States, although the strategy for war against a great power is to make it so Chile is too expensive/costly to wage war on and to protect Easter Island and Chile expects that in this potential war they'll be backed by at least one great power.

I can't get Springsharp to agree with me fully (I'm not a naval architect so I can't tweak my design right in certain aspects to get it to spit out the right "approval"), but what I was looking at:

O'Higgins-class light cruiser
169 meters length
5.7 meters draft
7,800 tons displacement (I want a design under 8,000 tons and something obviously classifiable as a light cruiser)
36 knots max speed
12,000 km range (cruising speed 18 kts)
118,000 kWs (oil-fired, 4 turbines/4 shafts)
3x2 6 inch (152.4mm) guns
2x4 3 inch (76.2mm) guns
2x4 40mm guns
700 crew (approximate, these are intended to be flagships)
4x floatplanes carried

I was thinking this ship should operate alongside 1-3 sturdy frigates for ASW purposes. A dedicated seaplane carrier (or full-on CVE/CVL) might also be helpful to have around these ships, but that's a different topic and design.

Thoughts, critique? If we assume Chile joins World War II for whatever borderline-ASB reason from 1939-1941 how will these CLs (and associated frigates/submarines) fare against the Axis (especially Japan)?

Constellation_Class.JPG

In the aftermath of the US-French war of 1916, it seemed that the US had performed marvellously. However the after action reports finally reached the eyes of the commander's and leaders. Despite the successful submarine campaign (assisted in large part by the new US airship bases), the 7 inch armed heavy cruisers proved to be a humiliating failure against the well armed and trained French 8-10 inch cruisers.

As a result of this and the success of the Lexington class Battlecruisers in driving the French raiders from the Carribean, a new fast battlecruiser designed was ordered. Originally the 14 inch cannon was proposed but the excellent characteristics of the 15 inch gun developed at Bethlehem works was adopted. Originally built with a speed of 25 knots in mind the vessel was considered the ultimate 'cruiser killer' and left unsaid 'Battleship vanquisher' as with the speed and gun range it could choose it's battles. Furthermore, the compartmentalization scheme to keep it afloat led many to crow the day of the submarine was over.

Launched in 1920 to acclaim from the press and navy it proved to be a successful design, the vessel was found to be able to reach 26.45 knots of speed in trials. And when war came with Russia in 1922, she was ready.

The Constellation proved when upon reaching the Phillipennes it was led to a Russian raider squadron by a Republic Corsair flying boat of three heavy cruisers (each a Treaty cruiser of 12,000 tons and armed with 10 inch guns) and engaged. The hapless Russians were smashed as the gunnery was aided by the flying boat who radioed instructions.

Through the Soviet-US war, she would come head to head with the Russians and eventually gain a name for herself. Whenever she was in the area, Russian convoys, essential for the resupply of the far east as holdout czarist forces led attacks on the railway, were found by the battlecruiser. When the Russians sued for peace in 1925 she had racked up a total of 1 battlecruiser (23,000 ton Imperator class battlecruiser), 5 heavy cruisers (all Treaty built), 12 destroyers, 5 frigates and 45 merchant vessels. Her casualties was 35 men killed in action, 45 wounded and 8 MIA. Two torpedoes were recieved but the excellent defenses and excellleng damage control crew prevented her loss.

Post war she was given a rebuild while her captain, Fredrick Morgan, was promoted and moved his flag to the first true carrier USS Wright. Constellation and Wright served as the guardians of the Far East defeating the Russians and Japanese in two seperate wars before their retirement racking up 2 battleships (Kongo and Kirishima), 1 carrier (Soryu), two heavy cruisers (Aurora and Lenonov), 8 light cruisers (3 Japanese, 5 Russian), 95 merchant vessels (23 Russian, 72 Japanese and 6 destroyers with the Wright claiming most of the Japanese victims.

Both were preserved by popular acclaim and the preservation society accepted the bid to move them to New York City in 1961. Nowadays they are popular attractions to the city bringing in several million dollars a week assuring their survival.

United Provinces of America
Project 997 class destroyer.
1997-2003

Displacement
3,218 tons standard

Speed
28 knots maximum, 22 knots cruise.

Range
6,000 nautical miles at 22 knots

Propulsion
x2 combined gas turbine/ diesel drive powering twin screws, x2 generators to provide additional power for electrical systems.

Dimensions
128 metres long, 15 metres wide, 7.5 metres draught.

Armament
1x1 100mm deck gun, 2x1 40mm autocannon, 4x1 12mm close defence guns.
1x32 cell missile silo capable of carrying anti-ship, anti-air and ASW missiles depending on mission and intended target.
2x4 anti-ship cruise missiles
2x2 350mm torpedo tubes with two reloads provided per tube.

Embarked aircraft
flight deck aft with hangar capable of embarking single medium sized helicopter outfitted for a variety of missions.

Following the breakup of the kingdom of Alyska in the 1990s the newly formed United Provinces of America took stock of their navy and were not at all happy. With the Federal Republic of Alyska gaining the lions share of the now defunct kingdoms navies modern fleet units the UPA was left with just a handful of modern units, among them eight ASW corvettes and three Kilo class Submarines purchased from the Soviet Union by the kingdom in 1996 and delivered in 1999. However, within the shipyards of Novoya Amsterdam were several incomplete hulls of the project 997 class of AWS destroyers. The ships had been intended as a part of the navies modernization, but in the event just six hulls were in any state to be completed.

In reality Queen Catherine III had carefully ensured that these six ships were in a state where they could be completed, moving parts from other members of the class under construction in other areas of the nation, and also deliberately ensuring that they could not be completed. It came as no surprise to anyone then when the UPA naval command staff announced they would continue with construction of these six ships, with one each to be sold to the Republic of Stuttland and a further vessel to be sold to the Congo Confederated state. Construction proceeded smoothly with all ships, with the Stuttland vessel bought by the UPA following the 2003 integration of the Republic into the UPA as the province of Stuttland.

Once completed the five UPA ships became the backbone of the navy, providing good service in the next phase of the Alyskan wars as they sank numerous FRA warships and enforced the UPA's naval blockade of the Federal Republic of Alyska. The frigate Noord Hetenvalle would be sunk by FRA aircraft in 2006, becoming the only member of the class lost during the war, though all members of the class took damage as some point in the fighting. At wars end the ships were refitted with the latest generation of technology from 2010 until 2016 when they returned to active duty, the hardworked ships were placed on the market in 2018 by the newly formed Untied Kingdom of Alyska as their computer and weapons systems differ completely from those used by the next generation of warships being commissioned by Alyska. Although many nations have expressed an interest in the ships nothing definite has been announced yet.