WI: Reliable Ross Rifles.

A follow on from my AHC earlier this year (see link)
https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=301309

The PoD is below (the year is 1911)

The other thing to take care of has to be Sam Hughes as Minister of Militia and Defence, a quick search suggest he was somewhat of a disaster when it came to the purchase and supply of equipment for the armed forces. Once things start getting political and people staking their reputations on a rifle it becomes much harder to get criticism of it accepted and changes made. Best I can come up with off the top of my head is the Mounties turn it down and go back to their Lee-Metfords, the testing process happens and turns up a number of faults, Hughes tries to quietly bury the report but then a copy gets leaked to a newspaper and suddenly it becomes "results from the preliminary test", "well of course a few minor adjustments have to be made" and "never expected it to be perfect on the very first development batch" etc.

How do you think this will affect Canada and WWI in general?
What will the effects be afterwards?

Honestly not much, eventually they would get enfields for shared weapons use and conformity

Well previous post gave a PoD on introducing a reliable version of the wapon and then petered out.

This thread is to share thoughts on how a reliable Ross Rifle would affect the grand scheme of things.

Well previous post gave a PoD on introducing a reliable version of the wapon and then petered out.

Ah, I see.

This thread is to share thoughts on how a reliable Ross Rifle would affect the grand scheme of things.

To be honest not much. Even a totally reliable, (by which I mean as reliable as any of the rifles used on the battlefield of WW1), Ross doesn't offer any real advantage over the SMLE. In fact it's still not as good a weapon as it's longer, heavier and has a smaller magazine capacity.

The only real change I can see a reliable Ross Rifle causing is giving Canada a nice little small arms industry in the early 20th Century. I don't doubt someone would buy the things for their army and that might give the Canadians an incentive to develop and use more home grown weapons, like say the Huot.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

It might not change the course of the war but it might have some effect. Bigger, earlier Canadian Small Arms industry, earlier development of the Huot (perhaps even seeing action).

Excellent points.

Ah, I see.

To be honest not much. Even a totally reliable, (by which I mean as reliable as any of the rifles used on the battlefield of WW1), Ross doesn't offer any real advantage over the SMLE. In fact it's still not as good a weapon as it's longer, heavier and has a smaller magazine capacity.

The only real change I can see a reliable Ross Rifle causing is giving Canada a nice little small arms industry in the early 20th Century. I don't doubt someone would buy the things for their army and that might give the Canadians an incentive to develop and use more home grown weapons, like say the Huot.

Yep.

Also the Ross Rifle wasn't a bad firearm per se, however it was a very bad service rifle for infantry. It was the most accurate service rifle of WW1, but this didn't make up for the fact that it was also the most prone to jamming. It saw distinguished service with snipers even after it had been phased out for the main CEF.

Delta Force

Banned
Given the state of mechanical technology at the time, it's possible that the Ross rifle could never have been made.sufficiently reliable. There were several military and commercial machines of the era that worked perfectly, but only under ideal circumstances. I've personally experienced modern firearms that only functioned properly with specific ammunition lubricated with WD40.