WI: Pythagoreans an obscure religious cult (completely)

Bright day
I had an argument over classic European music elsewhere, and it brought to me an idea. AFAIK the numerical view of world is Euro invention and there it originated with Pythagoreans...

If they remained a spiritual cult in a single city, would this view come to fore as it had OTL?

Leo Caesius

Banned
Actually (and my memory on this is a bit sparse) this view originated further East, and even in classical antiquity it was claimed that Pythagoras himself had traveled to India, where he developed his theories.

I heard about Egypt, ... but never of India?

And while I found mentions of mathematical philoshophy in other philosophies then Western I have problems finding far-reaching examples. Whereas it is everywhere here, be it philosophy or natural sciences.

Leo Caesius

Banned
I heard about Egypt, ... but never of India?

And while I found mentions of mathematical philoshophy in other philosophies then Western I have problems finding far-reaching examples. Whereas it is everywhere here, be it philosophy or natural sciences.
Read Otto Neugebauer, the Exact Sciences in Antiquity, for the lowdown on pre-Pythagorean mathematical philosophy.