WI princess Diana give birth to a girl as the first child.

UK changed its succession laws in 2011 so the eldest child regardless of the sex was the heir. What if prince William had been born in 1982 as princess Wilhelmina? Would the royal court have deemed it fit for change it in the 1980s already?

Devvy

Donor
I doubt it in the 1980s, given that it would need the support of all the Commonwealth Realms not just the UK. But then, as you say, things would have been changed by 2011 at the latest; I think a gender neutral succession would be fostered in the 2000s, a little earlier.

Which means absolutely zilch has changed as Charles is still waiting for his turn, let alone the Princess.

Unlikely that UK would had changed its succession legistature in 1980's or even yet in 1990's. Someyears earlier surely but not very soon after birth of princess.

This probably means that succession legisture is not changed retroactively so if Charles and Diana has son, he would be on line of succession before her older sister.

This probably means that succession legisture is not changed retroactively so if Charles and Diana has son, he would be on line of succession before her older sister.
By the time the son reached adulthood though there would be groups pressuring him to stand aside and let his older sister move up the line of succession.

By the time the son reached adulthood though there would be groups pressuring him to stand aside and let his older sister move up the line of succession.

It is possible but probably it wouldn't change anything. Parliament and Coommonwealth nations should agree with proposal.

By 2000 or so I don't see any of the Commonwealth Realm's Parliaments objecting, especially as it's going to be decades before the Prince of Wales (by then King) dies and the Princess inherits.

UK changed its succession laws in 2011 so the eldest child regardless of the sex was the heir. What if prince William had been born in 1982 as princess Wilhelmina? Would the royal court have deemed it fit for change it in the 1980s already?

Sweden changed its succession laws in the late 70s. The current King's son was born Crown Prince but lost the title a few weeks/months after his birth and his older sister Victoria, the current Crown Princess became heir apparent. The children were both toddlers.

A more relevant example may be Norway. The law of succession was changed in the 1990s to allow female succession and to provide for the first born of Prince Haakon to become King. Prince Haakon is the younger child of King Harald V, he has an older sister, who was born without any succession rights at all. At the time the law of succession was changed, Haakon and Martha Louise were in their 20s, Haakon had been prepared to become King one day since he was very young, as far as I am aware no one seriously advocated depriving him of his right and the change to the law of succession was not retroactive.

I think it unlikely that the laws of succession would have been changed in the 1980s in the UK if the Princess of Wales gave birth to a daughter and then a son after. The atmosphere was different. Similarly I do not consider they would be retroactive even if they were introduced later - note with the 2013 changes, they were not retroactive, the Princess Royal still ranks behind her two younger brothers and their descendants.

Spain changed the law but with a provision that Filipe would remain 1st in line and that it would would come into effect for the next generation.
Britain could do the same, the law would be changed but only affect children born after it was approved, so that there would be no debate about depriving an heir of his rights.

Spain changed the law but with a provision that Filipe would remain 1st in line and that it would would come into effec for the next generation.
Nope, Spain never changed the succession law. They wanted, when Felipes first born was a girl, but it would need a complicated proses to change the constitution. When the second child was also a daughter, they postponed it.

Nope, Spain never changed the succession law. They wanted, when Felipes first born was a girl, but it would need a complicated proses to change the constitution. When the second child was also a daughter, they postponed it.

Yes, I believe the current King and Queen even announced they were expecting a second girl (the Infanta Sofia), which basically brought the issue to an end for a generation.
Will be interesting to see if changes are made in advance of the Princess of Asturias getting married or if they see what her first child is first - again if its a boy, the issue can be deferred for another generation.

Yes, I believe the current King and Queen even announced they were expecting a second girl (the Infanta Sofia), which basically brought the issue to an end for a generation.
Will be interesting to see if changes are made in advance of the Princess of Asturias getting married or if they see what her first child is first - again if its a boy, the issue can be deferred for another generation.
They talked about it, the consensus being that Filipe would still be king and his first child would be sovereign regardless of gender. If they had had a third (Male) child they would have enacted the changes, but Spain being Spain they failed to do so to avoid yet another constitutional discussion.
One good thing to conclude from this is that life expectancy is now so good in Europe that succession issues can be settled for a generation with a single child.

I actually wonder whether the Prince and Princess of Wales might decide to avoid the whole issue by not choosing to have a second child if their first is a girl. The Queen had enough children that should something happen to the new Princess the line of succession would still be secure.

I actually wonder whether the Prince and Princess of Wales might decide to avoid the whole issue by not choosing to have a second child if their first is a girl. The Queen had enough children that should something happen to the new Princess the line of succession would still be secure.

No.

If Charles first two children are both female and his siblings get the children they got and Charles do not get any more children then Peter Phillips, born in 1977 is heir appearant until Prince Edwards first son in 2007. The 30 year old Peter might take it with stride.

The fact is that Charles is the only child of Elizabeth to only get sons. Andrew only got girls, Edward and Anne one each. Elizabeths sister Margret have one of each.

We could have had a situation were the first male in the line of succession is not Elizabeth or Margrets grandchildren but someone even lower, for example one of Prince George, duke of Kents grandchildren. If the current duke of Kent, currently at 39 in the line of succession is the heir because everyone above him is female, would not the parliament have changed the rules long before 2011?

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
If Charles first two children are both female and his siblings get the children they got and Charles do not get any more children then Peter Phillips, born in 1977 is heir appearant until Prince Edwards first son in 2007. The 30 year old Peter might take it with stride.

That's not how it works.

Charles would be Heir Apparent, Daughter 1 (Elizabeth, as he was close to the Queen Mum) would be Heir Presumptive to the Heir Apparent, with a second daughter (Victoria?) being the HP to the HP of the Heir Apparent.

Surely even with two daughters, the first male post Charles in the line of succession (until the birth of a grrat grandchild) would be the Duke of York, and the Earl of Wessex, then the Viscount Severn, then Mark Phillips, followed by the descendants of Princess Margaret, the 2nd Earl of Snowdon, then the Viscount Linley, then Samuel and Arthur Chatto.

The fact is that Charles is the only child of Elizabeth to only get sons. Andrew only got girls, Edward and Anne one each. Elizabeths sister Margret have one of each.

We could have had a situation were the first male in the line of succession is not Elizabeth or Margrets grandchildren but someone even lower, for example one of Prince George, duke of Kents grandchildren. If the current duke of Kent, currently at 39 in the line of succession is the heir because everyone above him is female, would not the parliament have changed the rules long before 2011?

I think you have misunderstood the laws of succession.
A good starting point would be to read this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_succession which explains the different forms of succession law.

To simplify things, lets go back a generation, to that of the Queen and her cousins.

King George V and Queen Mary, the current Queen's grandparents had 5 children who reached adulthood

Edward VIII - no children
Albert (George VI) - two daughters including the current Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret
Mary - two sons
Henry - two sons
George - two sons and 1 daughter

Edward VIII had no children and was succeeded by his nearest brother in age, Albert, known as George VI.
George VI had two daughters, the eldest Elizabeth was his heir presumptive and became Queen on his death.
This is despite the fact that she had male uncles and cousins surviving, this is because they were younger than her father. The bloodline of George VI trumps that of his younger siblings. Only if George VI's bloodline died out would his siblings or their heirs inherit.
To complicate matters further, Britain had a system until 2013 where a male child would supplant an older female sibling. So had George VI had a son after Elizabeth and Margaret, that son would have inherited the crown, not the current Queen.

If Charles and Diana had a daughter, then a son, the son would be heir. If they had only daughters, the eldest daughter would be heiress.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . A more relevant example may be Norway. The law of succession was changed in the 1990s to allow female succession and to provide for the first born of Prince Haakon to become King. Prince Haakon is the younger child of King Harald V, he has an older sister, who was born without any succession rights at all. At the time the law of succession was changed, Haakon and Martha Louise were in their 20s, Haakon had been prepared to become King one day since he was very young, as far as I am aware no one seriously advocated depriving him of his right and the change to the law of succession was not retroactive. . .
To me, this takes it to a higher level. I mean, including the important, practical social dimension to the question of whether to go retro and change order of succession.