WI: Michael Jackson dies in 1984?

Unforseen butterfly, Weird Al Yankovic may still be a succesful cult artist, but without Eat It (since Al couldnt ask MJ for permission to parody it), he never becomes as much of a success as he is IOTL.
I just looked it up and weird Al recorded the album in late 83. It was released in 84, but the release date is after MJ’s pyrotechnics accident. It might still be released as a tribute to him, but possibly without the video.

A nobody outside the anglo speaking sphere,I Google him and yeah never heard of him (he was also the watermelon guy in freakazoid). So yeah nothing of value is lost.

With the due respect, Prince when popular,was never MJ at all
Honestly you are underesteameting both of them. Prince also never tried to be as big as MJ. but in a world with no MJ. Prince who was at the start of his climb in 84 would end of being marketed even more in this time line. Only other thought is someone like L L Cool J becomes a bigger cross over Rap and Pop star or Bobby Brown for R&B and Pop

Unforseen butterfly, Weird Al Yankovic may still be a succesful cult artist, but without Eat It (since Al couldnt ask MJ for permission to parody it), he never becomes as much of a success as he is IOTL.
Beat it and it's parody Eat it was released before 1984

Honestly you are underesteameting both of them. Prince also never tried to be as big as MJ. but in a world with no MJ. Prince who was at the start of his climb in 84 would end of being marketed even more in this time line. Only other thought is someone like L L Cool J becomes a bigger cross over Rap and Pop star or Bobby Brown for R&B and Pop
As you say, Prince never tried to be MJ -- he also never wanted to be. A world where Warner tries to make him the new MJ is a world where Prince and the label have a major falling out many years earlier. The breakdown might begin very quickly -- 1985's "Around the World in a Day" was pretty out-there and very much not the sort of thing that Warner wanted to follow-up "Purple Rain."

This would probably be a huge boost to Madonna, though. She was already going platinum and scoring top 10s with her first album, on the verge of releasing her massive second album. In OTL, she was the only artist in the world who could compete with MJ in sales and celebrity, and now basically all of MTV has been ceded to her.

I fear Janet's career may, counterintuitively, be much weaker in ATL. She's yet to have her breakout hit with "Control" and I imagine A&M may want to throw money at Quincy Jones to try and make her the next Michael. This may get her a hit album or two in 1985-7, but I doubt it has much appeal in the long run. Without Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis in 1986, her whole career is turned upside down.

With the due respect, Prince when popular,was never MJ at all

I agree. I can't see Prince easily stepping into Jackson's shoes. Prince was a different sort of musician, far more explicitly sexual for starters (listen to "Darling Nikki" versus any of MJ's lyrics).

It sounds weird now, given everything we now know about Jackson, but back in the mid 80s, he was marketed heavily as a "family friendly" devout Christian. And unlike Prince, Michael Jackson was, much like Bill Cosby at the time (HA!), seen as a good role model, and sexually non-threatening. Tailor made for the Reagan Era of "just say no to drugs", Jerry Falwell's "Moral Majority" and Tipper Gore's crusade against lewd lyrics in music. Prince was in fact, a big target of both Tipper Gore and Falwell because of lewd, often explicitly sexual lyrics. Jackson, not at all.

Very different images in the conservative 80s America.

download (6).jpeg

sd-aspect-1492630252-prince-and-the-revolution-nany-bundt.jpg

The technology just wasn’t there at the time for fully using cgi explosions even now they still prefer to use real ones just because of how much better it looks especially as it relates to the actors being better able to act around something real. I think the most likely change is the expansion of some safety regulations particularly around Hollywood and in California when it comes to the use of pyrotechnics.
One other area I think would be kind of interesting is the inevitable lawsuit and public reaction toward Pepsi that might come about. In our timeline, Pepsi and Jackson settled out of court for 1.5 million dollars that Jackson promptly donated to the Brotman Medical Center. I could imagine that in this world there is likely a much bigger settlement (maybe around 3-5 million) with Pepsi possibly motivating Pepsi to fight it out in court but more likely they want to save face in the public eye and as such they would work out a deal behind closed doors with Jackson's family. I think this could be an early blow to Pepsi in the public eye as there would be some lingering public resentment of them thought it does depend on how they handle it and in my opinion they would instantly go into maximum damage control mode to try and fix this PR nightmare before it starts.
Makes sense.