WI Louis II of Hungary has a son?

As says the title. Let's say that by the time of the Battle of Mohács Louis II had a son by Mary of Austria (born anytime between 1521 and 1526). Assuming the king still dies, how an infant Jagellion heir affects politically Hungary, Bohemia, the Habsburgs and the Ottomans?

As says the title. Let's say that by the time of the Battle of Mohács Louis II had a son by Mary of Austria (born anytime between 1521 and 1526). Assuming the king still dies, how an infant Jagellion heir affects politically Hungary, Bohemia, the Habsburgs and the Ottomans?

It could be interesting to see what happens to Hungary. I mean, Lajos wasn't exactly an unbridled success, nor his father before him. But how would a regency work in an elective monarchy anyway? Do they elect baby Lajos III? Or do they elect Zapolya and when he dies, hope that Lajos is old enough to become king? Because I know Zapolya's son, Janos II was king of Hungary from a young age, but I can't remember if that was just "called king of Hungary" or if he was actually elected.

It could be interesting to see what happens to Hungary. I mean, Lajos wasn't exactly an unbridled success, nor his father before him. But how would a regency work in an elective monarchy anyway? Do they elect baby Lajos III? Or do they elect Zapolya and when he dies, hope that Lajos is old enough to become king? Because I know Zapolya's son, Janos II was king of Hungary from a young age, but I can't remember if that was just "called king of Hungary" or if he was actually elected.
The Diet appoints a regent, that was what happened with Ladislaus the Posthumous and Matthias.

Zapolya would still claim the throne, less succesfully than IOTL-Sigismund would not support his claim over *Louis III*.

Another question: thrones of Bohemia and Hungary are elective, and Ottoman invasion is not the best time for kid on the throne. Wouldn't Ferdinand run for the crown himself, just promising to name baby Louis his successor? Or he'll be choosen to be "temporary king", like Vladislaus of Varna, who promised to abdicate Hungarian throne once Ladislaus the Posthumous reach majority (another question is, if he'll really do it when that day came)?

Last edited:
Hungary might not br war thorned country it was in OTL. The Ottomans didn't want to occupy Hungary except were forced to due to Habsburgs going to take it over. The mother of Lajos II son will possibly be regent or if Zapolya takes the throne he will be king. Regardless, both will go for a fair deal. Hungary will recover and build up defences if it is allowed.

This affects Hungary a lot. The countryside will most likely not be wrecked between 1541 and 1697. And Austria won't have Royal Hungary to get more revenue. Maybe Charles V will divide Austria more 'equally' with the Lowlands becoming Austrian...

Maybe it would be a bit of stretch, but could queen Mary try tô appease Zapolya by marrying him, making him regent, in exchange for his support for her son's claim?

Maybe it would be a bit of stretch, but could queen Mary try tô appease Zapolya by marrying him, making him regent, in exchange for his support for her son's claim?

More likely the other way around, Zapolya would try to use her to augment his authority should he make a play for regent. Mary has her family's support to work in her favour, it's a question of do you want a Matthias Corvinus (in the form of Zapolya) or a queen regent with good connections to you neighbors who can help get them on your side while you need them and has less resources to enforce their will, given how Vladislaus II have away a lot of the crown properties.