WI: John IV of Sweden instead of Charles IX?

When Sigismund III was deposed, Charles IX assumed the Regency of Sweden but wasn't declared King until 1604. This was because the former King Sigismund had a half brother through his father's second wife, named John. He eventually gave up his succession rights in right for several duchies and was married to one of Charles IX's daughter.

What if John became King instead? There's little reason for Charles IX to proclaim him, but given the interregnum before he finally was crowned himself, it seemed to be something that was considered. Unlike Sigismund who was the son of John III and his Polish wife and raised Catholic, this John was born to John III's more Protestant minded wife and he was raised in the Protestant religion, meaning he'd certainly be an amiable alternative.

If John becomes King as John IV, how does this change things? Swedish-Polish relations will certainly be worse, as you for a time will have two brothers at eachother's throats and essentially the line of John III on two separate thrones. Charles IX is likely to not get a bum deal either way: even if he doesn't become king, I see him being an important minister to the ATL John IV and will certainly be compensated territorially and financially. John IV will likely marry his cousin he married IOTL, as well.

I think it would be very interesting, since, to prevent his nephew from claiming the throne, Johan was married to Carl's daughter, Elisabet, and AFAIK was dispatched as governor to Finland or somewhere like that.
personally I think Sigmund III would've maybe done better appointing his halfbrother as regent in Sweden than his uncle. By his marriage to Elisabet and subsequent dispatch, Carl IX was clearly worried he might become a centre for the opposition if not likewise depose him in a palace coup much as he had overthrown Sigismund and Johan III had overthrown Erik XIV

I think it would be very interesting, since, to prevent his nephew from claiming the throne, Johan was married to Carl's daughter, Elisabet, and AFAIK was dispatched as governor to Finland or somewhere like that.
personally I think Sigmund III would've maybe done better appointing his halfbrother as regent in Sweden than his uncle. By his marriage to Elisabet and subsequent dispatch, Carl IX was clearly worried he might become a centre for the opposition if not likewise depose him in a palace coup much as he had overthrown Sigismund and Johan III had overthrown Erik XIV

John IV wouldn't be old enough to serve as Regent for Zygmunt III, since he himself would've required a regent. That said, Carl did wait a prodigious amount of time before he himself as crowned, so I agree that he did possibly consider it.

Though why he would marry his cousin I'm not sure. Sweden's not exactly flush with foreign queens in the Vasa dynasty yet. Gustav I's wife (mother of Johan III and Carl IX) was Margaret Leijofhund, and Erik XIV had abandoned royal marriage plans to marry Karen Mansdotter, and then Johan IV's mother is Gunilla Bielke. So, I should imagine that Johan is then going to need a royal bride, rather than a paternal cousin (even one who's father is extremely influential in politics).

An interesting match - originally considered for Prince Gustav Eriksen (Erik XIV's son) - was Xenia Borisovna Godunova.