WI: Henry Wallace as President

Henry Wallace seems like a fascinating character, and seemed to be ahead of his time in many ways. However, he also seemed quite naive in many ways and certainly didn't see the threat that the Soviets posed to freedom in Europe and the rest of the world.

What would have happened if he became President?

I don't think this is too hard - FDR either does a bit earlier, or he, for some reason, retains Wallace as his Veep in 1944 (not sure how plausible that is).

What changes?

Will he drop the bomb on Japan? Will he lose in 1948 to Dewey (or will butterflies means someone else runs)?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything when I searched.

John Farson

Banned
Henry Wallace seems like a fascinating character, and seemed to be ahead of his time in many ways. However, he also seemed quite naive in many ways and certainly didn't see the threat that the Soviets posed to freedom in Europe and the rest of the world.

What would have happened if he became President?

I don't think this is too hard - FDR either does a bit earlier, or he, for some reason, retains Wallace as his Veep in 1944 (not sure how plausible that is).

What changes?

Will he drop the bomb on Japan? Will he lose in 1948 to Dewey (or will butterflies means someone else runs)?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but couldn't find anything when I searched.

Everything would be just fine and dandy.:D

(Note: I think Wallace's badness is very much exaggerated in that TL. Then again, FAT is pretty much a joke TL as is)

As president he would have been lass naive about the Soviet Union. His weak political skills would have been a problem.

Loses in 1948, if he even gets the nomination, probably and seeing as his unpopularity with his former fellow Senators, he's probably a lame-duck for most of his Presidency.

We'd have less chance of a Cold War, and a greater chance of greater desegregation. NATO would be European. Colonial nations might get independence quicker. There would likely be more agricultural research, and perhaps more regular scientific research.

We'd have less chance of a Cold War.
The only way to get rid of the Cold War would be getting rid of Joseph Stalin.
greater chance of greater desegregation. .
I fail to see how he'll get any form of significant Civil Right's legislation beyond maybe desegregating the government and the army (which Truman already did) since he would have absolutely terrible relations with Congress (even one controlled by his own party).

Last edited:
The only way to get rid of the Cold War would be getting rid of Joseph Stalin.

I fail to see how he'll get any form of significant Civil Right's legislation beyond maybe desecrating the government and the army (which Truman already did) since he would have absolutely terrible relations with Congress (even one controlled by his own party).

i take it you mean desegregating?

I don't know about his views on dropping the bomb, but I do know that a couple of them men he planned to appoint to his cabinet (I cant remember their names) were in fact actual communist agents. If McCarthy found out about this, then it would mean impeachment or resignation.

Whomever his secretary of state was would become president (assuming Wallace doesn't change the succession law), and is doomed to almost certain defeat in 1948.

Just bumping this as I've been mulling over ideas and was wondering if FDR somehow dies in early 1941 or so, how would Wallace carry on the war? With Pearl Harbour still a few months away, would he go further into Europe, or focus more on the Pacific?