WI Ferdinand I dies in 1518?

I was reading about the Emperor Ferdinand I and I found an interesting information about his short visit to the Irish harbour of Kinsale in June 1518, after the ships that were transporting him and his entourage were blown off course by a storm during his voyage from Spain to the Netherlands. So, WI the storm was stronger and his ship is sunken, drowning the 15 years old prince? How Charles V deals with the aftermath of the tragedy? What could be the consequences for the Habsburg domains and the HRE?

Someone else is going to have to marry Anna of Bohemia and Hungary
Her brother desperately needed help against Ottomans. It is time before French-Ottoman alliance was created, so if Charles V does not want to marry her Louis could offer her to Francis I of France.

Her brother desperately needed help against Ottomans. It is time before French-Ottoman alliance was created, so if Charles V does not want to marry her Louis could offer her to Francis I of France.
Francis I of France would marry Claude of France so the duchy of brittany could remain french. After she died, maybe.

Would Louis X if Bavaria be a candidate? He couldn't provide too much support but he is from a neighboring German territory and may be acceptable to Charles as he is his cousin and maybe would be a good stand in to block a marriage alliance that the Habsburgs would find objectionable such as with France.

Charles V could very well marry Anna himself. She was promised to one of Maximilian's grandsons and considering Charles' personality, this could have meant more assistance to Hungary meaning it doesnt fall into ottoman hands.

Charles V could very well marry Anna himself. She was promised to one of Maximilian's grandsons and considering Charles' personality, this could have meant more assistance to Hungary meaning it doesnt fall into ottoman hands.
Charles may be forced by circumstances to marry Anna, Jagiellons would require it in exchange for voting for him during Imperial election.

Charles may be forced by circumstances to marry Anna, Jagiellons would require it in exchange for voting for him during Imperial election.
And she had 15 children OTL. So if things go the same way, then charles has enough sons to form every possible branch of the family he might so desire.

And she had 15 children OTL. So if things go the same way, then charles has enough sons to form every possible branch of the family he might so desire.
She would not have so many kids with Charles, who had to travel between Spain and HRE. Thus there would be periods lasting for years when they'd not see each other.

Assuming that Charles marries Anna, is it more likely that Louis II would have more support from the HRE against Suleiman?
Also, in this case, who could be the husband of Isabella of Portugal? She said that if she didn't marry her cousin Charles she would enter a convent, but it could be changed. Maybe she could become a second wife to Francis I of France after Claude of Brittany dies?

Last edited:
Assuming that Charles marries Anna, is it more likely that Louis II would have more support from the HRE against Suleiman?
Also, in this case, who could be the husband of Isabella of Portugal? She said that if she didn't marry her cousin Charles she would enter a convent, but it could be changed.
I think if Charles was married to a possible heiress to Hungary, he would try to prevent Suleiman, and may even succeed.

Isabella could marry Charles, Duke of Savoy, who married her sister Beatrice OTL. Or maybe she could marry Francis of France once he was widowed.

Isabella could marry Charles, Duke of Savoy, who married her sister Beatrice OTL. .
I think it depends on when Charles marries Anna. IOTL Beatrice was married before Isabella because the Aviz wanted to secure her to Charles. Even after he announced his engangement to Mary Tudor they kept trying it until they succeeded. They clearly wanted a great marriage to her, so probably they would wait until someone was available.

I think it depends on when Charles marries Anna. IOTL Beatrice was married before Isabella because the Aviz wanted to secure her to Charles. Even after he announced his engangement to Mary Tudor they kept trying it until they succeeded. They clearly wanted a great marriage to her, so probably they would wait until someone was available.
But who else was there? I think our pod is such that Isabella either marries Charles or nobody