WI: Elizabeth I had married

I'm sure the question of Elizabeth I marrying is pretty commonly asked, and it's an often a popular WI for alternate histories. Although Elizabeth certainly stated she had no intention to marry and was infatuated with Robert Dudley, I posit the question if she had married, with the question concerning two of her suitors--the Duke of Savoy, Emmanuel Philibert, and the second, the Archduke Charles.

It seems to me that Dudley would need to be out of the picture, at least to remove his influence and the Queen's infatuation; either through him dying of illness (not uncommon in such an unsanitary era) or even possibly dying in battle, as he won a pardon by agreeing to serve with Philip during the war that ultimately lost England Calais.

During Mary's reign, there were several mooted marriage proposals, but the most serious was the idea of her marrying Emmanuel Philibert, the landless Duke of Savoy. So serious was the proposal that Margaret of Austria, Philip's half sister and the Duchess of Lorraine traveled to England in hopes to induce Elizabeth into the marriage. It wasn't successful, and the match floundered: Emmanuel regained his ancestral lands and per the peace of 1558, he married Henri II's sister. This seems a rather impossible marriage, as I don't see Elizabeth accepting a match pushed by her enemies. The main interest comes to what would happen to Savoy. Assuming they were wed and Elizabeth became Queen, the French would just return Savoy to England's King. That would definitely be interesting.

The Archduke Charles seems a more likely match, especially if Dudley is removed from the picture. He was Catholic, but the Emperor had no qualms of Elizabeth maintaining her religion, just that Charles be allowed to practice his. There were no stipulations regarding any issue, but certainly they'd be raised Protestant. One of the big things was Charles was actually quite conservative religiously, or became so later on. IOTL, he banished Protestants from inner Austria and invited in the Jesuits.

He'd most certainly have nominal power as Elizabeth's consort, but it would be interesting to see the effects on religious policy: if the northern Earls still rebel, or if the early religious peace Elizabeth tried to keep would hold. Foreign policy would also certainly be different: although no Philip II, Charles is still a Habsburg and the marriage would certainly be looked favorably upon from Madrid. If anything, the French would be seem like the big bad, although a rather impotent one assuming the Religious Wars still break out.

It also brings interesting situations regarding the Dutch Rebels; England would certainly be unable or unwilling to help them in such a situation to avoid offending Spain. One could see the rebels being more supportive of the French and the Duke of Anjou being more welcomed and actually successful in surviving as Duke of Brabant and Count of Flanders. It'd definitely alter the fate of the Dutch Rebels and how it evolves politically.

It'd be awesome to hear some ideas from some others. I am mulling over a simple TL with the premise. Taking a break from the Prince of Peace as my old computer's harddrive failed so I lost my work I had on my newer chapter. I have to regather everything I've posted so it's sort of taken any enthusiasm away, but I'd like to start a new project. :)

Well, off-hand there were numerous candidates for Liz's hand betwern the Valois boy Anne Boleyn favored, and Alençon. One of the curious things was that between the death of his first wife and the death of Henry VIII, D. Felipe II was actually a frontrunner to marry Liz, with second and third place going to Archduke Ferdinand of Austria and Infante Joao of Portugal. In the meantime France was fielding the duke of Ferrara, the hereditary prince of Florence and the duke of Guise. So, just between 1540 and 1547 there"s plenty of room to play with.

Personally, a double imperial match - Mary to Infante Luis and Liz to D. Felipe - or a double French match, Edward to Élisabeth de Valois/Mary Stewart anx Liz to Angouleme, are what I find interesting.

Also, during Felipe's marriage to Mary, a match for Elizabeth was proposed - to the duque de Segorbe, a scion of the House of Trastamara (in 1554) - and another with D. Carlos (in 1556).

Last edited:
Yes, I have a list of Elizabeth's suitors and there were many interesting ones especially early on. I'd prefer a match occuring in the 1550s / early 1560s in the early year of her reign, hence why the question of the Archduke Charles was posited. Henry VIII definitely liked to use his daughters as political pawns for alliances, but never fully committed to anything. They were typically used to seal marriage alliances but never ratified. Mary herself had plenty of suitors up until her marriage to Philip II, for example.

Elizabeth I didn't marry for a couple reasons, one was that she'd be expected to let her husband take control, something that was unacceptable to her. Another is psychological, her father had a habit of killing his wives, including her mother Anne Boleyn, the only 'safety' she ever had was in being single and able to play around with marriage negotiations.

Unless we have an POD of Mary of Scots being born a guy and sweeping Liz off her feet I just have a hard time picturing Elizabeth consenting to a marriage once she was Queen. She'd have to be married while either her father, her brother, or possibly her sister was the ruler of England.

Henry and Edward could have used Elizabeth to further some alliance of some sort, Mary could have had her married to someone in Eastern Europe just to get rid of her without killing her.

Elizabeth I didn't marry for a couple reasons, one was that she'd be expected to let her husband take control, something that was unacceptable to her. Another is psychological, her father had a habit of killing his wives, including her mother Anne Boleyn, the only 'safety' she ever had was in being single and able to play around with marriage negotiations.

Physical safety I'll grant you, but the psychological "reason" you give is more in the realm of speculation than fact.

Although it's got a more solid basis than the early 20th century story about Elizabeth not having a vagina - I don't know who thought that one up, but it isn't even possible. Foreign doctors examined her multiple times.

She was definitely a female and had no physical deformity. As Queen her periods and such were kept track of and she was examined on several occassions, as stated -- rhe 1570s being most famous when the Valois demanded a gynecological examination before marriage negotiations with Alençon: mostly on account of her age and they wanted to be sure she could still bear children.

Elizabeth certainly had her reasons for not marrying, but I'm sure she could be swayed if it were in England's interest she wed. Being unwed also allow her to use marriage as a political tool: being single did benefit England in many ways to play off France against Spain, but I wouldn't say male King of Scots is the only way for Elizabeth to marry.

Although it's got a more solid basis than the early 20th century story about Elizabeth not having a vagina - I don't know who thought that one up, but it isn't even possible. Foreign doctors examined her multiple times.

Haven't other people claimed (marginally more credibly, but likely impossible to prove) that she was a lesbian? I seem to remember someone claiming she had a sexual relationship with a female member of her staff or something.

Haven't other people claimed (marginally more credibly, but likely impossible to prove) that she was a lesbian? I seem to remember someone claiming she had a sexual relationship with a female member of her staff or something.

Considering her feelings towards Dudley, I consider this unlikely. She was most definitely in love with him.

Perhaps there was talk of Queen Christina of Sweden? She also never married and eventually abdicated; she dressed in men's clothing and was apparently infatuated with one of her ladies of waiting and wrote love letters to her, of course, the letters were in similar style to people she admired.

Considering her feelings towards Dudley, I consider this unlikely. She was most definitely in love with him.

Perhaps there was talk of Queen Christina of Sweden? She also never married and eventually abdicated; she dressed in men's clothing and was apparently infatuated with one of her ladies of waiting and wrote love letters to her, of course, the letters were in similar style to people she admired.

The rumours about Christina of Sweden are well known, and aren't what I was referring to, but I take your point about Elizabeth and Dudley. Of course even bearing that in mind it's still more plausible than the "Elizabeth was a secret man / intersex / whatever" insanity.