Where are the historical Genghis Khan tribes today?

I love history, and when I read historical sources about the history of Genghis Khan, I was surprised to find that most of these historical clans today form the backbone of my nation.
Today, historical tribes such as "Naiman, Kerey, Dulat, Zhalair, Katagan, Alban, Kongurat" are among the most numerous tribes in Kazakhstan.
I was wondering if neighboring nations had these tribes. Yes, Uzbeks have these tribes. Most of the people of Karakalpak were from the Kongurat tribe. The Kyrgyz had many representatives of the Nyman tribe.
Then I began to look for the names of these tribes among the current Mongol-speaking peoples, but among the Kalmyks and Buryats I did not find the names of these historical tribes. Yes, they have their own names for tribes, but they sound very different.

I thought they should definitely be in Mongolia. I began to search for people from Mongolia and question their tribes, but to my great surprise, I found that they were all Borzhigons. I was very surprised at how it could be that all of Mongolia was Borzhigon.
This question did not give me peace. I thought about it a lot, even falling asleep thinking, how is it possible for everyone to be an aristocrat?
I reviewed a huge amount of information in the search for the Genghis Khan clans in Mongolia.

Perhaps many people do not know what the term "tribe or clan" means. This is not just one title.
Each clan has ancestral attributes that are specific to it.

1. The name of the clan
2. Each Clan must have a lot of branches.
3. Each Clan must have their own personal mark - Tamga.
4. Each Clan must have their own personal Battle Cry – Uran.
5. Each Clan must have their own ancestral land.

But I did not find any of the indicated clan attributes in the Khalka, except for the name Borzhigon.

I was just sure that these Genghis Khan's clans should be there. In the end, I even began with the help of a translator to search for information in Mongolian.

In the end, I found the answer to my questions. The answer was as follows: the Mongols did not know their clan or that their clans were different than the Genghis Khan clans. Therefore, the Mongols, according to Presidential Decree 115, choose the names of the clan themselves. Everyone wants to be an aristocrat.
In total, a large part of the population became aristocrats from the Borzhigon clan.

Монгол улсын Ерөнхийлөгчийн 1991 оны 115 тоот зарлиг/ 2
Одоо монгол хүн бүр ураг овогоо мэддэг, албан бүртгэл сэлтэд хэрэглэдэг болсон. Овоо ч хэвшиж байгаа.
Овогоо авахдаа уламжлалт овогоо мэддэг байсан бол түүнээ авах, түүнээс гадна эртний монгол овгуудаас сонгож авах, шинээр овогтой болох зэргээр “чөлөөт”-өөр сонгож, өөрийн хүслээр тогтоохоор журамласан.
Google translation
Decree No. 115 of the President of Mongolia of 1991/2
Now every Mongolian knows his family name and uses it for official registration. Ovoo is getting used to it.
If you knew your traditional surname when you got it, you could choose it from it, and you could choose from ancient Mongolian tribes, and you could choose a new surname.

Link to the site where the scientist sounds the alarm http://eagle.mn/r/23197

Дээр өгүүлсэн төр засгийн шийдвэрээр угийн бичиг, ургийн модны зураглал хөтлөхийг үүрэгдэж гэх үлгэрээр дутуу дулимаг бодсон, зарим чухал хүчин зүйлийг тооцож үзээгүйгээс улам уруудах хандлагатай боллоо.
Үүний тод илрэл нь хүн бүрт ургийн овгоо үзэмжээрээ сонгох боломж өгсний хар гайгаар хүн амын илт дийлэнх нь /судалгаагаар 80 хүртэлх хувь/ “Боржигон” овогт болчихлоо.Энэ овог нь Чингис хааны алтан ургийнханд хамаатай болохоор Чингис хааны үр удам гэж хэлэгдэх юм шиг бүгд адил сэтгэснээс одоо ямар ч төрөл садны холбоогүй улсууд ижил овгоор дуудагдах болсон.
Энэ үүссэн нийгмийн гажиг үзэгдлийг /парадокс/ эрт дээр нь засаж залруулахгүй бол хэдэн арван жилийн дараа монголчууд бүгд “боржигон” овогтонд уусаж ургийн овог гэсэн нэршил утгаа алдаж эхлэнэ. Үнэхээр Гиннесийн номонд орохоор “онигоо”, инээдэмтэй хэрэг болох биш үү.

Google translation

The above-mentioned government decision has led to a further decline due to a lack of consideration of some important factors, such as the lack of genealogy and family tree mapping
This is evidenced by the fact that the vast majority of the population (up to 80 percent of the population) became members of the Borjigon clan, as everyone was given the opportunity to choose their own clan. People who have no relatives are now called by the same surname.
If this paradox is not corrected in time, in a few decades all Mongolians will merge into the “Borjigon” clan and begin to lose the meaning of the name “clan”. Wouldn't it be "funny" to be in the Guinness Book of World Records?

The Mongol case wouldn't be too different than Vietnam where the surname Nguyen became so common (almost 40% of the country) because many people changed their surname to Nguyen due to the prestige and power of the Nguyen clan from the 16th century onward. The second and third most common, Tran and Le, were also surnames used by ruling dynasties of Vietnam so there was probably something similar there.

I'd also search Inner Mongolia because the Mongol clans there gave their name to modern geographic boundaries and generally still live there.

EDIT: Got "Outer" and "Inner" confused.

Last edited:
The Kalmyks were a branch of the Oirats. When doing some research for a planned timeline, I saw that Wikipedia included the Keraites -- whom I remembered seeing mentioned elsewhere as one of the tribes from Genghis Khan's time -- among the Oirats' ancestors.

The Kalmyks were a branch of the Oirats. When doing some research for a planned timeline, I saw that Wikipedia included the Keraites -- whom I remembered seeing mentioned elsewhere as one of the tribes from Genghis Khan's time -- among the Oirats' ancestors.
Yes, historically, the Turks of central Asia also called the Kalmyks "Oirat." And as for the Keraites tribe, this is clearly a mistake. Wikipedia is not a reliable source. And where are you from, are you Kalmyk?

Last edited:
The Mongol case wouldn't be too different than Vietnam where the surname Nguyen became so common (almost 40% of the country) because many people changed their surname to Nguyen due to the prestige and power of the Nguyen clan from the 16th century onward. The second and third most common, Tran and Le, were also surnames used by ruling dynasties of Vietnam so there was probably something similar there.

I'd also search Outer Mongolia because the Mongol clans there gave their name to modern geographic boundaries and generally still live there.
I have friends from Vietnam with whom I communicate on Facebook. Indeed, this surname Nguyen is very popular there.
Yes, as Kalmyks has already mentioned, they can be Oirats. However, I must say that the people of Altai, whose self-name was also historical Oirat. These Oirats are Altai Turks, along with Uranhaites and Tuvins, who are also Turks. Altayans who live in Russia remain Turks. The Altai people who now live in Mongolia are becoming Mongols.

As a Mongolian, my personal clan name is Mongon or “silver”. We chose this name because of my great-great uncle who was the patriarch of our family because my great grandmother was a widow and he adopted her children as his own. Other parts of my family have Borjgin (Genghis Khan) as their clan name but that is due to one of my great aunts marrying into the Borjgin clan a century back.

In general, most Mongolians try to avoid claiming the Borjgin clan name without documentation or extensive family lore to back it up.

You must realize that a lot of documents were destroyed during communism because the Soviets wanted to suppress Mongolian nationalism through cultural destruction.

And as for the Keraites tribe, this is clearly a mistake. Wikipedia is not a reliable source. And where are you from, are you Kalmyk?
In reverse order _
No, I'm not, I'm English.
I know that Wikipedia sometimes has inaccuracies, that' s why I mentioned it specifically instead of just saying "according to my sources".
Why "clearly", I'm curious?

In reverse order _
No, I'm not, I'm English.
I know that Wikipedia sometimes has inaccuracies, that' s why I mentioned it specifically instead of just saying "according to my sources".
Why "clearly", I'm curious?

All these tribes, such as "Naiman, Kerai, Kongurat, Kipchak, Dulat, Alban, Jalayyr, Katagan" historically were very large tribes. All these tribes today form most of the Turkic tribes of Central Asia. Their history in Central Asia has been continuously recorded in historical documents since the time of the Middle Ages. In many ways, these tribes still live on the same lands where they were historically recorded. As a result, the large Naiman tribe of history lived in Altai, in present-day Western China, and in East Kazakhstan, along the banks of the Irtysh River.

Naimans still live on these lands; over a million live in Kazakhstan, and over a million live in China.As for the Kerai tribe specifically, this tribe also lived historically near the Naimans in Altai. So this tribe today also lives in East Kazakhstan and the Altai, part of which is in the mountains of the Mongolian Altai. All these brutal guys doing falconry in photographs from Mongolia are representatives of the Kazakh tribe Kerai. The Kerai tribe itself is also very large in the Kazakhs. It is in Mongolia that part of the Kerai from the Abak-Kerai branch live.

Given the above, this is a large tribe like Kerai, which in no way can be part of the current Kalmyks. I have not seen a single reliable historical source that would indicate that the Kerai tribe became Kalmyks. The Kalmyks have their own tribal names, but they sound very different.

History is a propaganda tool. The Central Asian Turks have always posed a great threat to Russia. Therefore, they always try to distort our history. Although today, Russia has a weak economy, in the field of propaganda it is one of the best in the world.