What if A Goofy Movie flops at the box office?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Goofy Movie was done by Disney MovieToons in Florida (I'm pretty sure), so failure probably means shutdown.

If that happens, we don't get these movies:
The Tigger Movie
Return to Never Land
The Jungle Book 2
Piglet's Big Movie

You get my point. No big loss.

On the other hand, maybe they turn around and send the MovieToons slate to Walt Disney Animation Studios to get better quality out of them. That could mean movies like Tarzan, Emperor' s New Groove and Atlantis get put on the back burner. And maybe they then split time between new features and sequels. We'll miss some nice films ... but maybe we'll also kill Dinosaur and Brother Bear.

I grew up in the 70s. I missed a lot of great animation. The only Disney animated features in the 70s:

The Aristocats December 24, 1970
Robin Hood November 8, 1973
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh March 11, 1977
The Rescuers June 22, 1977

Now THAT'S sad.

Only four?
Yeah, pretty much.

Bear in mind Disney in the 1970s was on the edge of bankruptcy due to mismanagement and poor sales in both theme parks and animated movies. The Black Cauldron, which came out in 1985 and was supposed to be their big comeback, ended up a major flop, and effectively killed the animation studio had Eisner and Roy O. Disney not worked hard to turn the ship around, culminating in Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) and The Little Mermaid (1989), which proved full-length animated feature films were indeed profitable (okay so Roger Rabbit was animation and live action, but it did a lot to show animation was still viable as a medium).

The Disney Corporation of 1990 onwards is a completely different beast than it was in 1970, and to compare the pitiful shadow of 1970 to the multimedia behemoth of the 2010s onwards is a joke.

I grew up in the 70s. I missed a lot of great animation. The only Disney animated features in the 70s:

Now THAT'S sad.
I actually really enjoyed Robin Hood, but the period between The Jungle Book and the Great Mouse Adventure was relatively mediocre. I’m still fond of a lot of them.

I don’t think A Goofy Movie flopping would be a big deal. I thought that it was pretty good, but it wasn’t one of their main films.

I actually really enjoyed Robin Hood, but the period between The Jungle Book and the Great Mouse Adventure was relatively mediocre. I’m still fond of a lot of them.

I don’t think A Goofy Movie flopping would be a big deal. I thought that it was pretty good, but it wasn’t one of their main films.
It would have stopped any more Goofy related movies from coming out, and Disney would have quietly killed that bit of the franchise.

The Ducktales universe wouldn't be affected; it made gangbusters in the 1980s and 1990s, and it still had a strong international comic following. It would have probably killed off Quack Pack, but really, who liked Quack Pack? Well, who liked it when something better was on? The 2019 Ducktales reboot would certainly not be affected.

It would have stopped any more Goofy related movies from coming out, and Disney would have quietly killed that bit of the franchise.

The Ducktales universe wouldn't be affected; it made gangbusters in the 1980s and 1990s, and it still had a strong international comic following. It would have probably killed off Quack Pack, but really, who liked Quack Pack? Well, who liked it when something better was on? The 2019 Ducktales reboot would certainly not be affected.
Were there other Goofy movies outside of the sequel?

The Ducktales universe wouldn't be affected; it made gangbusters in the 1980s and 1990s, and it still had a strong international comic following.
Realy? I thought Ducktales comics basicly died the moment Ducktales went of the air, only returning with the new series.

Realy? I thought Ducktales comics basicly died the moment Ducktales went of the air, only returning with the new series.
Admittedly, Ducktales itself didn't start until the 1987 series, but the Duck/McDuck family adventures have been around in comic form since the 1970s (if not earlier). As for the 1990s, I tend to treat Quack Pack as part of the Ducktales 'franchise', if not necessarily in a proper continuity.

Admittedly, Ducktales itself didn't start until the 1987 series, but the Duck/McDuck family adventures have been around in comic form since the 1970s (if not earlier).
Oh those you mean. Actualy they have been around since the 40's and still going strongly, but they have very little connection to Ducktales. i checked the INDUCKS (an index of duck stories) and the comics with Launchpad only appeared in the late 80's and early 90's after which he effectively disappeared until the late 2010's. So yeah, Ducktales comics weren't a thing, but other Duck comics obviously still were and are. But the two are unconnected.

There’s no Extremely Goofy Movie and poor Goofy never gets the confidence boost from playing in the X Games and dating the pretty librarian. Not a world the Disney core cast wants to live in.

A Goofy Movie was done by Disney MovieToons in Florida (I'm pretty sure), so failure probably means shutdown.

If that happens, we don't get these movies:
The Tigger Movie
Return to Never Land
The Jungle Book 2
Piglet's Big Movie

You get my point. No big loss.

On the other hand, maybe they turn around and send the MovieToons slate to Walt Disney Animation Studios to get better quality out of them. That could mean movies like Tarzan, Emperor' s New Groove and Atlantis get put on the back burner. And maybe they then split time between new features and sequels. We'll miss some nice films ... but maybe we'll also kill Dinosaur and Brother Bear.

Yes, but the direct-to-video-sequel era of Disney was a result of Michael Eisner screwing the company financially in the later years of his tenure (bad ideas and ego driven projects using corporate money), and Disney needing easy, fast money. Those films allowed Disney to recover, and become the intellectual property behemoth it became. If you hurt Disney there, it has knock on effects to its recovery. Disney losing out on any success is a really bad thing for the company in the later 1990s / early 2000s.

Last edited:

Now THAT'S sad.

In fairness, they had to devote a lot of their resources in that era to producing fine live-action offerings such as The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Shaggy D.A., and Herbie Goes Bananas.

I'd admit I do like The Apple Dumping Gang.

Yeah, I was a pretty big fan of anything with Tim Conway and/or Don Knotts in that era. Mostly saw them on TV, though: Carol Burnett, Three's Company etc, plus The Private Eyes, a lumpen-Mel Brooks parody of detective movies.

And it's sad about Bill Bixby, losing his only child at such a young age, and then dying of cancer himself. But Blossom was a pretty good swan song for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.