Vatican and an indpendent CSA!

What does the Vatican do now if the CSA is an independent nation?The big question is about slavery.What does the Church in the South do now?Any comments, please!

in the other hand, Vatican only straight on ban slavery in early 20th Century

and perhaps, it will just like what Vatican do to several north and central african countries, ignore them.

The CSA will have 2-5 major Catholic diocese.

Initially New Orleans and Richmond, and possibly the ones in Nashville, Charleston, Atlanta, and several in Texas, Florida and whatever westward gaining a bit more international importance.

in the other hand, Vatican only straight on ban slavery in early 20th Century

Not at all : you have several papal decrees about banishment of slavery, and you have as much papal decrees about how slavery was legal. The truth is, before the XIX century, you don't have a pontifical point of view on slavery that wasn't erratic and dependent of who was pope.

And Popes were more busy keeping Rome Piemont-free to really care what happened in Americas. After 1870, they would probably have a normalized policy towards catholicism in CSA, but that's all.

Pius IX was on a personal level a supporter of the CSA, and on some level a supporter of the institution of slavery (provided that the slave's liberty was "justly" deprived--that is, it is right and just to enslave a criminal or to have an indentured servant, whereas slavery from birth is unjust). But Leo XIII in no uncertain terms condemned the institution in the 1880s, after Brazil abolished it. (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/l...ts/hf_l-xiii_enc_05051888_in-plurimis_en.html).

These factors in mind, I think the Church would urge Confederate Catholics to free their slaves and perhaps set up ministries aimed at buying and freeing slaves held by Protestants. And I don't think Richmond would do much to prevent Catholic priests from spreading this teaching.

The Catholic Church is small enough in the south that I don't think their opinions on anything will matter.

Pius IX was on a personal level a supporter of the CSA, and on some level a supporter of the institution of slavery (provided that the slave's liberty was "justly" deprived--that is, it is right and just to enslave a criminal or to have an indentured servant, whereas slavery from birth is unjust). But Leo XIII in no uncertain terms condemned the institution in the 1880s, after Brazil abolished it. (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/l...ts/hf_l-xiii_enc_05051888_in-plurimis_en.html).

These factors in mind, I think the Church would urge Confederate Catholics to free their slaves and perhaps set up ministries aimed at buying and freeing slaves held by Protestants. And I don't think Richmond would do much to prevent Catholic priests from spreading this teaching.

On the other hand if they do this the CSA is gonna suppress the church. There's no way they'd allow a major abolitionist group to operate freely in their territory.

On the other hand if they do this the CSA is gonna suppress the church. There's no way they'd allow a major abolitionist group to operate freely in their territory.

I think they'd get quite a bit of sympathy, though. States like Tennessee or and North Carolina were dominated by poor farmers without much love for their plantation-owning cousins across the southern border. And in rural areas, the Church was often a major source of education--Jeff Davis got his education from the Dominicans, and in fact attempted to convert in his youth before he left school and lost interest. He and other Confederates with such positive histories with the Church wouldn't be quick to form a secret police force. Besides, wasn't freedom of speech a feature of state constitutions? So long as they're not actually agitating for the criminalization of slavery, what law would they be breaking by buying and freeing slaves?

I think they'd get quite a bit of sympathy, though. States like Tennessee or and North Carolina were dominated by poor farmers without much love for their plantation-owning cousins across the southern border. And in rural areas, the Church was often a major source of education--Jeff Davis got his education from the Dominicans, and in fact attempted to convert in his youth before he left school and lost interest. He and other Confederates with such positive histories with the Church wouldn't be quick to form a secret police force. Besides, wasn't freedom of speech a feature of state constitutions? So long as they're not actually agitating for the criminalization of slavery, what law would they be breaking by buying and freeing slaves?

Given how many states specifically made freeing slaves ridiculously hard and painful I dont think it will matter whether or not its specifically illegal it's going to get the planters who dominate the government to turn on them.