Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

On that note, I think we're getting a bit too off-topic here, especially with how the US wasn't particularly internationalist at this time period (and wouldn't really be internationalist in its foreign policy until the World Wars) being something we need to take into account. Besides, feature creep is something this TL should avoid here at all costs.

I guess that makes sense, we Americans tended to be a lot more innovative than the Europeans also. When that Union fellow, Upton. I think, came up with the way to burst through the Confederate lines by. Having a narrow charge of a bunch of people rather than a wide group, it was adopted pretty quickly because people saw it worked. Whereas it seemed like a lot of European militaries needed reformed consistently because they were not as concerned about what worked as they were about tradition.
All due respect, I must disagree in the strongest terms. European armies lost to Prussia not due to lack of reform but because of faulty reforms. The Imperial Austrian Army lost Solferino despite a futuristic view on rifle fire because they were inadequately prepared and trained to use the weapon (+ all sorts of language issues in the multi-ethnic army). Thus they adopted the charging doctrine of the French, which got them into disaster at Sadowa despite their superior artillery doctrine and cavalry. The French then reacted to the Austrian defeat with tactical reform - entrench, play defensive and let the Prussians reenact Fredericksburg. The tactical reform failed because the French did not understand the greater initiative handed to Prussian units and completely allowed the Germans to dictate the fight. It was not obedience to tradition that landed them in trouble, rather a lack of institutions to analyze what went wrong or right in previous or foreign conflicts.

The Prussians, outside their infantry, actually performed quite poorly at Sadowa. Their light cavalry was constantly trounced, their artillery hung too far back and refused to sacrifice a single gun or man and their heavy cavalry only caused traffic jams during the whole conflict. The Prussians learned that and completely reformed their artillery arm to be their most lethal arm and changed their cavalry to be more reconnaissance focused.

How would this more radical ACW affect emancipation in other countries such as Brazil? I remember seeing a post made by a Brazilian here about how Brazil's slave system was comparably worse than in the CSA.

How would this more radical ACW affect emancipation in other countries such as Brazil? I remember seeing a post made by a Brazilian here about how Brazil's slave system was comparably worse than in the CSA.
We've hadsome discussions, including how former Confederates might flee to Brazil andthe emperor's daughter might find ways to defeat any attempts at a coup there, which in turn can show her leadership skills and convince him to let her take power when he dies.

It's been a fascinating rthread so far; I'm amazed at how much I'm learning about the militaries in Eurpe as well as the stuff going on in the Americas at this time. I'm sure we'll have lots more cool stuff when Reconstruction starts in the new thread. (And it looks like we'll be able to wrap this up before the 500 pages limit rather easily.)

original.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to each and everyone of you. May these holidays and the coming new year be filled with happiness and success.

If nothing else, the Second French Empire should collapse one way or the other (if we're connecting it solely to events portrayed in the TL thus far) for helping to stage a reactionary coup in Mexico to prop up a would-be puppet state. If there is one through line to the whole story, it is the idea that reaction, in the long run, has a particular shelf life.

Sic semper tyrannis, as they say.

More broadly, there are also approximately 1 million timelines on AH.com where monarchies - and the Bonapartes in general - stick around longer than IOTL. One where they still end up thrown out on their ears won't effect things much.
This is a convincing argument. I've been thinking on terms of only the US thus far, but as we open to the wider world I believe a guiding thread would be a necessity. I've envisioned it as, rather, that reaction is inherently self-destructive, almost suicidal. Ultimately it's not that important a question, I guess, given that the focus will remain in the US, but a French Republic would be more fitting than continued Napoleonic monarchy.

Just to clear this up because I have clearly not presented myself very well. To the point that it seemed that I was making some rather unfortunate equation that I feel a bit ashamed about.

So the issue for me is that marriage was legally (and socially, but is a whole another can of worms) rather unequal, and what ethical implications does that have. Slavery actually only comes into in the sense that it was what made me realize just how screwed up the law was by notice a certain degree of similarity.

As for the bureau(s) I forget about that. Good that we talk about it has been a while.
There's no need to worry, I believe I understood your point, and realize you weren't actually comparing slavery and the legal subordination of wives.

Monarchies drool, republics rule is my blessed opinion.

The winter of discontent in the former CSA… it will be glorious.
Things will get ugly for the aristocrats as they realize that the government they created and then couped is no longer able to protect them.

Napoleon's lineage had their fun in the sun, it seems time to let the Prussian wreaking ball run its course. The republic can have an amazing relationship with the US, and we can also get the original Statue of Liberty along with it in this timeline.
I suppose a Statue of Liberty given to a country that actually upholds those ideals, instead of keeping a part of its population as subjugated second-class citizens, would be better.

Could Austria do just better enough to force a draw at Sadowa with the help of a few former Confederate advisors, then Napoleon III be dumb enough to attack Prussia?

He's toppled a few years early due to his wastefulness (first a loss 8n Mexico , then a draw when he didn’t have to attack)! with no Commune to scare people. Prussia ends up beating both narrowly, they can eventually become Mr Germany. France has its Republic.

While we're focused on the South, sometime in 1865 is when Octavius
Catto successfully pushed OTL to get public transport in Pennsylvania integrated - he is more likely to be successful in more and also probably keep them that way, plus not be assassinated in 1871. Though I think integrated teams are more likely than is. All black team being admitted into the national association, since that allows whites to have some degree of power
It's a tragedy how many talented Black people had their careers cut down by terrorism and murder.

I wonder if Lincoln will endorse greenbacks in the postwar order, the lack of available currency was a big reason for the failure of reconstruction otl.

It occurs to me American history is often decided by tragic pivot points in which we could have become more progressive but fate dealt a poor hand. The most decisive of these in my opinion is the failure of Reconstruction. Not just because it led to a deeply evil regime in the South entrenched itself, but because the racial caste system in the South spread nationwide. Southern racial thought became universal and the ability to divide workers on race secured capital for generations.

If Blacks are instead a class of farmer with roughly equal footing economically to whites then that will have profound ripple effects on American society. If we declare property is no longer sacrosanct by taking plantation land, a real example of wealth redistribution, then we have pushed the needle on American democracy no longer being based on property ownership. Free Labor paves the way for unions and laborism.
It really feels like a cruel joke how the US was seemingly on the path of truly changing for the better, but then Lincoln was assassinated and the bastard Andrew Johnson took charge. The implications of this second Revolution will change the American psyche and values permanently in ways we can scarcely conceive.

I want to get back to the 1790s- French and American republics, not always sitting easily with each other, not always going the same way, but feeding each others' political traditions.

I really want to see what the people who would form OTL's Commune would do as part of a Third Republic that's not born in hock to monarchists and generals, and see how both America and France can inspire each other's radicals.

Ideally we could also see British republicanism have an even greater resurgence than it did OTL- the mid Victorian period was actually a time when the monarchy wasn't that popular. The late nineteenth century was also a time when many people thought the declaration of an Australian republic (probably including New Zealand) was imminent too.

Down with the monarchists, the aristos, and all their weird fans who romanticise people for the blood that runs in their veins.
That connects with the other possibility I was toying with - to have France instead suffer its own more radical revolution. Not a commune victory, but instead of the grudging Republic have a France that truly embraces its revolutionary and democratic past. Getting from there to a British Republic would be interesting too.

On the current discussion .

I will just note that the Bonaparte model of monarchy was very different from the divine rights model.it introduced the concept of the head of state as the Symbol of the nation being the ultimate representative of the people rather then the highest office in the land.
I will also note that emperor max was and remains sorta popular in Mexico.The precedent set by him winning would be bad .countries can't force non democratic rulers on other countries even if said ruler turns out to be popular.but the chances of said precedent becoming a problem is unlikely IF max can figure out how to rule.which imo he wasn't "Mexicos lost Hope" but he wasn't a incompetent frat boy either.from a story pov you can do whatever you want with him especially as he did want a liberal democratic monarchy himself

ultimately, I think this poses an interesting question for red.What is the global "point" of the timeline? the theme is clearly liberty and democracy but in the rest of the world its not black and white as literally slavery vs literally one of the best men to ever live.in fact some of the most groundbreaking progressive good nations were at the same time some of the worst.
I never really considered a "global" theme so to speak. Focused only on the US, the theme I was aiming for was that reaction is inherently self-destructive and that ultimately the arc of history bends towards justice - shown clearly in how each Southern attempt to resist the advance of liberty just sparked a more violent and immediate revolution for liberty. First their resistance destroying the party system and giving rise to the Republicans; then the war allowing for the immediate destruction of slavery; and finally the coup, allowing for their own ultimate perdition.

Which is why I think, if he does get a "good ending" here, it would be him finding himself back home in Austria (possibly via Franz Joseph getting a health scare as @Odinson suggested a while back which keeps him in Austria long enough so he finds himself in Vienna when all is done and dusted).
Max for all his faults didn't really deserve his OTL ending from what I know. I'll probably spare him no matter what I decide to do with the whole Mexico and France thing in the end... and right now I'm leaning towards full Juarez victory and a French Republic.

I believe that the keeping the French Empire around just doesn’t fit the anti-tyranny theme of this TL. IOTL, the Third French Republic, for all of their flaws, was an actual democracy.
Yes, ultimately the choices that make the most sense are for the French puppet regime to fall and the French monarchy to be replaced by a Republic.

On that note, I think we're getting a bit too off-topic here, especially with how the US wasn't particularly internationalist at this time period (and wouldn't really be internationalist in its foreign policy until the World Wars) being something we need to take into account. Besides, feature creep is something this TL should avoid here at all costs.
Rest assured that the focus will remain in the US, and at most we'll get a couple of international updates amidst far more updates on US internal politics.

Am really late to the party on this one, but hurrah for the fall of Charleston!

Do wish that Nevada elector made it though lol, but otherwise looking forward to this war's end and on to Reconstruction!
Yeah, I've decided that that Nevada elector makes it here!

We've hadsome discussions, including how former Confederates might flee to Brazil andthe emperor's daughter might find ways to defeat any attempts at a coup there, which in turn can show her leadership skills and convince him to let her take power when he dies.

It's been a fascinating rthread so far; I'm amazed at how much I'm learning about the militaries in Eurpe as well as the stuff going on in the Americas at this time. I'm sure we'll have lots more cool stuff when Reconstruction starts in the new thread. (And it looks like we'll be able to wrap this up before the 500 pages limit rather easily.)
That indeed has been discussed and there are some interesting possibilities for Brazil, but it's also something to be determined.

Considering the monetary policy side of things, the early days of a new party could be quite strange. While it is well-known that the farmers wanted inflation and many financiers wanted deflation, businessmen were actually quite mixed: some (like iron) wanted inflation while others did not. Adding up civil service reform and labor rights, I imagine that the new party will need a while to coalesce into a proper party before they can win an election.
Huh. Why would iron want inflation? (Actually, if the U.S. didn’t have a silver standard, what/who did all those silver mines in Colorado (and I assume other states) sell to?)

All due respect, I must disagree in the strongest terms. European armies lost to Prussia not due to lack of reform but because of faulty reforms. The Imperial Austrian Army lost Solferino despite a futuristic view on rifle fire because they were inadequately prepared and trained to use the weapon (+ all sorts of language issues in the multi-ethnic army). Thus they adopted the charging doctrine of the French, which got them into disaster at Sadowa despite their superior artillery doctrine and cavalry. The French then reacted to the Austrian defeat with tactical reform - entrench, play defensive and let the Prussians reenact Fredericksburg. The tactical reform failed because the French did not understand the greater initiative handed to Prussian units and completely allowed the Germans to dictate the fight. It was not obedience to tradition that landed them in trouble, rather a lack of institutions to analyze what went wrong or right in previous or foreign conflicts.

The Prussians, outside their infantry, actually performed quite poorly at Sadowa. Their light cavalry was constantly trounced, their artillery hung too far back and refused to sacrifice a single gun or man and their heavy cavalry only caused traffic jams during the whole conflict. The Prussians learned that and completely reformed their artillery arm to be their most lethal arm and changed their cavalry to be more reconnaissance focused.
Huh. Neat. I always have a soft spot for 19th century Austria/Austria-Hungary (with the asterisk that as part of them doing better military they’re also more democratic).

Max for all his faults didn't really deserve his OTL ending from what I know. I'll probably spare him no matter what I decide to do with the whole Mexico and France thing in the end... and right now I'm leaning towards full Juarez victory and a French Republic.
On that note, you could have Max be the first monarch of Romania or Bulgaria when they become independent from the Ottomans (or even be invited to Spain after 1868, which won’t be the first time a Civil War TL placed him there) as a “second chance” for him. At the very least, him being a major figure in Austro-Hungarian politics could have some ripple effects for how Austria-Hungary develops going forward.

Was it mentioned which ship had Robert Smalls and Co. on board when they stormed into Charleston?

I ask because two of the former Collins Line ships, SS Atlantic and SS Baltic were used by the Navy as troop ships during the war. Perhaps the story of the ships could be made more than just a footnote in the rise of Cunard.

Perhaps the tale could become one of how between slavocrats sabotaging the subsidies (the unrealistic demand "full speed, full time" and the complaint of "why should SOUTHRON taxes pay for YANKEE shipping magnates!") and bad luck (SS Artic disaster, SS Pacific ceasing) led to America's dominance of North Atlantic shipping in the early 19th century being lost to Cunard and others in the British industry.

No.

Not only am I opposed to this ideologically, since I'm a republican with a small r, but any state with the foundation of being imposed with a gun barrel, especially foreign made, is an inherently illegitimate one. The Mexican people did not deserve to have a leader who'd never even stepped foot in the country up until the French brought him over.

It is a mindset that smacks of "they just don't know what's good for them."
Maximilian was not all that bad when it comes to a reorganization of the Mexican government into a more rational, scientific views: The organization of the Second Empire was based in geography and the material conditions of the regions of the country. That way, each department could benefit from their own economic activity., instead of the arbitrary delimitations of the states of the Republic, which had a political character, instead of an economical and/or geographical one.

800px-Political_divisions_of_Mexico_1865_%28numbers%29.svg.png

I agree that the Second Empire was illegitimate, but Maximilian himself was pretty liberal...and that's why he lost political support. His disposition to negotiate with the moderate liberals and not abolish religious freedom made his government lose the support of the Conservatives. Carlota, his wife, was called La Roja (the Red [Queen/Carlota]) because of her temperament and social views.​

I can agree that monarchies are bad and I would prefer Radical Republics, but Maximilian by himself was not a reactionary, or a bad person. He was just a prince that was lied to come to Mexico, and even after discovering the truth, he tried to reform the country into a scientific perspective, something that the Republicans didn't did.

Huh. Why would iron want inflation? (Actually, if the U.S. didn’t have a silver standard, what/who did all those silver mines in Colorado (and I assume other states) sell to?)
Pennsylvania iron manufacturers actually favored the 1875 inflation bill thirteen to five. The reason is never explicitly mentioned, but during the Great Depression, profit margins were in decline. As for silver, it was still used as a commodity - jewelry back then and electronics now. IIRC, silver was also still used as currency in Asian countries. It should be noted that the price of silver basically collapsed after the US and other European countries (Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, etc) stopped using silver. The ratio of gold to silver price used to be 1:16 and then it became 1:24 by 1896.

Huh. Neat. I always have a soft spot for 19th century Austria/Austria-Hungary (with the asterisk that as part of them doing better military they’re also more democratic).
I do have to put a caveat that their infantry was really, really not great. After Solferino, their main takeaway was the 100% aggression = victory. During the Second Schleswig War, the Prussians were rather baffled by the brave bayonet charges on strong Danish defenses, which did work but at the cost of very heavy casualties. They tried to copy Prussian superior firepower, but the KuK training and procurement was pretty messed up by Ausgleich: Hungarian parliament had a habit of slashing or vetoing army expansion/modernization bills, fearing that it would be used to invade them if the relationship ever turned sour.

Meanwhile, in Richmond:

Beauregard: The Yankees have managed to break the front in a broad formation. In the south, the foe has taken Charleston and pushes on to Columbia. The enemy now operates on the North between Petersburg and Richmond. And in the west the enemy is entering Western North Carolina.

Toombs: Everything will be fine with Johnston's counterattack.

Beauregard: Mr. Toombs... Johnston...

Early: Johnston could not field enough strength for a counterattack. Johnston's attack is not occurring.

Toombs: ...These people will stay here: Jackson, Beauregard, Early, and Hampton.

Toombs: That was an order! Johnston's attack was an order! Why has Johnston defied these orders? Has he turned traitor too? Everyone has become a coward, even the Virginians! All the Generals are nothing but a bunch of wicked, faithless cowards!

Jackson: Mr. Toombs I cannot allow you to insult the brave Virginians who-

Toombs: Nothing but cowards, traitors, and failures! Are they ready to become the slaves of Lincoln? Have they not an ounce of honor! They call themselves generals because they spent a few months at West Point learning to march, but now they are ready to kneel to Lincoln and his Negroes! It is the people who have defeated the Confederacy! Why haven't they risen up? If this is the fate they want I should have let Breckinridge betray us! I was never at an academy, and yet I did so much to defend this country from the evils of emancipation and Negro equality, and yet the people have not proven equal to these sacrifices... What a monstrous betrayal, but now they will pay, now that they will become the slaves of Yankees and Negroes, they will see that I was right.

Outside a woman cries, and her friend consoles her by reminding her that they can still apply for a pardon.

Toombs: Everything I did was for naught... I believed we were saving our people from Breckinridge, but if they agreed with him then it is over. The war... is lost. Gentlemen, get a ship for Cuba ready.

French Republic is based
Just listened to Ça Ira and the Chant Du Depart and remembered just how based French Republics can be.

On that note, you could have Max be the first monarch of Romania or Bulgaria when they become independent from the Ottomans (or even be invited to Spain after 1868, which won’t be the first time a Civil War TL placed him there) as a “second chance” for him. At the very least, him being a major figure in Austro-Hungarian politics could have some ripple effects for how Austria-Hungary develops going forward.
Eh, I don't think I'll do much with him unless, as you note, I decide to do something with Austria-Hungary. Just sparing him because his execution has always felt unfair to me.

Was it mentioned which ship had Robert Smalls and Co. on board when they stormed into Charleston?

I ask because two of the former Collins Line ships, SS Atlantic and SS Baltic were used by the Navy as troop ships during the war. Perhaps the story of the ships could be made more than just a footnote in the rise of Cunard.

Perhaps the tale could become one of how between slavocrats sabotaging the subsidies (the unrealistic demand "full speed, full time" and the complaint of "why should SOUTHRON taxes pay for YANKEE shipping magnates!") and bad luck (SS Artic disaster, SS Pacific ceasing) led to America's dominance of North Atlantic shipping in the early 19th century being lost to Cunard and others in the British industry.
Frankly I tend not to trouble myself with such small details as what ship did what or what regiment was where. So, I don't know. I also don't know enough about shipping in the 19th century to make a meaningful comment on this regard. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, nonetheless!

I agree that the Second Empire was illegitimate, but Maximilian himself was pretty liberal...and that's why he lost political support. His disposition to negotiate with the moderate liberals and not abolish religious freedom made his government lose the support of the Conservatives. Carlota, his wife, was called La Roja (the Red [Queen/Carlota]) because of her temperament and social views.​
I can agree that monarchies are bad and I would prefer Radical Republics, but Maximilian by himself was not a reactionary, or a bad person. He was just a prince that was lied to come to Mexico, and even after discovering the truth, he tried to reform the country into a scientific perspective, something that the Republicans didn't did.
Would it be possible for Juarez and co to adopt some of Max's reforms? They do seem to make a lot of sense.