TLIAD: Paix de Napoléon

Paix de Napoléon

Wait. Hold on just a minute. Stop.
We're not seriously going to this talking to myself bit, are we?

We are. So again: stop. What are you doing?
Making a timeline...

You have two already! Both which need updating! There's also that one about Princess Charlotte—
Shut up! I know! This a TLIAD. It's going to be finished within 24 hours. I haven't abandoned any of my TLs. They're just on hiatus. I'm trying to get the spark back, so this is what I'm doing. Something easy, something simple.

Sounds good... how long will the timeline run?
About a hundred years. I'm going to squeeze as much in as I can. This going to all be sorta spliced together, a blend of styles--from my more personal approach in my Charlotte and Restoration TLs to the history book style I favor in the Prince of Peace.

Okay. You've got me. One last question. What's the PoD?
It's pretty obvious. If you still don't understand, then here—let's get started. I'll even bold the hints. Besides, it's me: you know I love messing with people and making PoDs from some the smallest things!

Paix de Napoléon
477px-Grandes_Armes_Imp%C3%A9riales_%281804-1815%292.svg.png

"If Josephine had been my mother,
my father would not have been buried at Saint Helena,
and I should not be at Vienna.
My mother is kind but weak;
she was not the wife my father deserved." ~ Napoleon II, Duke of Reichstadt

Prologue

To Citizeness Josephine Bonaparte

May 13, 1796

So, it is true that you are pregnant.

Murat has written to me; but he tells me that it is making you ill and he thinks it unwise for you to undertake so long a journey. So I must still be deprived of the joy of holding you in my arms! I must still spend several months far from all that I love! Is it possible that I shan't have the pleasure of seeing you with your little belly?

That should make you interesting! You write that you have changed. Your letter is short and sad and shakily written. What is it, my adorable? What can be upsetting you? Oh! Don't stay in the country; go to town; try to amuse yourself, and remember that there is no truer torment for my soul than to know you unwell and unhappy. I thought I was jealous, but I swear to you I am not. I think I would rather myself give you a lover than to know you are miserable, so be gay and cheerful, and remember that my happiness depends on yours.

If Josephine is unhappy, if she lets herself be sad and discouraged, then she doesn't love me. Soon you are going to bring into the world another being who will love you as much as I-no, that is impossible, but your children and I will always be around you to convince you of our love and care. You won't be horrid, will you? No tantrums!! Except as a joke. And then just two or three pouts; nothing is prettier, and a little kiss puts everything right.

The courier has brought me your letter of the 18th. How sad it makes me! Can't you be happy, darling Josephine? Is there something you want? I am waiting patiently for Muray to know the details of what you are doing, what you are saying, whom you are seeing, what you are wearing. Everything to do with my adorable is dear to my heart, which only longs to know.

Things are going well here; but my heart is indescribably heavy. You are ill and far away from me. Be gay and take great care of yourself, you are worth more than all the universe to me. The thought that oyu are ill makes me very unhappy.

Please, my sweet, tell Freron that my family does not wish him to marry my sister, and that I am determined to takes steps to prevent it. Please tell my brother

B.

Last edited:
Interested

Interested to see where you are going with this and as developed the events ... But, correct me :Josefina was not sterile or too old to successfully carry a pregnancy?

Interested to see where you are going with this and as developed the events ... But, correct me :Josefina was not sterile or too old to successfully carry a pregnancy?

Some attribute her infertility to a fall from a balcony in 1798. She did fall, but she was taking the waters of said place to help her fertility, so she was obviously having issues before the fall.

That said, she had some issues. Most likely? She had entered early menopause because of the stress of the bloody parts of the revolution, the Terror that saw her imprisoned and nearly executed, ect.

In 1796, however, Murat returned to Napoleon that news she was pregnant, mostly based on the symptoms she was reporting at the time. She may or may not of been pregnant, but at any rate there was no child. She was only 33 in 1796; even if she's entered early menopause, conception isn't out of the picture, as women do still have their regular cycle for osme time before they stop completely. Her and Napoleon may not of been much of a 'match' so to speak (he was also away a lot... so perhaps they just never had the proper chance to 'reconcile' so to speak).

Treaties_of_Tilsit_miniature_%28France%2C_1810s%29_side_A.jpg

Minature of the post-Tilsit period showing the Emperor of France and Tsar of Russia in an embrace.

I.

1807 represented the aegis of Napoleon's reign. Not only had he managed to humble Prussia, once home to the finest soldiers in all of Europe, he had also realligned the system in Germany. No longer could the Habsburgs claim to rule over the Holy Roman Empire as it's emperor; now they were merely Emperors of Austria, with the empire organized in a loose organization called the Confederation of the Rhine. France had been raised to it's highest glories, extending across the Rhine and the Alps, holding both Germany and Italy—mere geographic expressions at the time, captive.

It was at this time that the fabled meeting between Napoleon and the Russian Tsar, Alexander I occurred. The meeting was set for Tilsit; it a rare showing that Napoleon was not alone; with much pleading and begging, he had encouraged his empress and wife, Josephine, to attend the festivities. Josephine was a quixotic character; although she was from the island of Martinique, she was a Parisian by heart, and seldom left the witty salons; indeed, to find her in the heart of Eastern Europe was a total surprise. It came only after much pleading from Napoleon himself—l'Empereur reduced to mere begging to get what he wanted. It was not to be forgotten as a meeting for while Napoleon and the Tsar spoke, Josephine, as well as the little Prince Imperial, the future Napoleon II, entertained Empress Elizabeth Alexeievna.

The Emperors of France and Russia found common ground at Tilsit—fresh from his victory at Friedland, Napoleon was in a situation to be able to demand what he pleased, and was quick to make a friend out of Russia, while poor Prussia was grounded into a pulp. Prussia found her polish territories ripped away, that awful partition of the 18th century consigned to the dustbin with the creation of the Duchy of Warsaw. Once more, Poland was placed upon the map of Europe—albeit as French client state. Further humiliations of Prussia found the foundation of the Kingdom of Westphalia as a member of the Confederation of the Rhine, based around Magedeburg, along with Brunswick-Lüneburg, Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, and the Electorate of Hesse.

Russia saw much more generous terms. Despite the defeat at Friedland, Napoleon was desirous of an alliance between Russia and France. He saw them both as great powers—Russia reigning over the steppe and the east, whilst France was the undisputed master in the west. Alexander got on well with such a revolutionary man; he agreed to align Russia with France's interests and it was agreed that the two nations, in secret, would aid eachother in any disputes. It was also at this meeting that Napoleon instigated war with Britain and Sweden; Britain for the most obvious reasons, and Sweden for having refused to entertain the idea of entering the Continental System, a range of embargoes that locked Britain out of trade with Europe—with Russia agreeing to these terms, it also ascended into Napoleon's blockade and cease all trade with the British. The Tsar also agreed to evacuate the Danubian Principalities; in return, he received the Ioanian islands and Napoleon personally ensured the sovereignty of the Duchy of Oldenburg.

Empress Josephine was as charming as ever; the main point of her attending the signing of the treaty and meeting with both the Tsar and the Empress of Russia. Napoleon had more designs—he wished not only to bind Russia through pen and ink; he wished to do so through blood as well. When the duties of the treaty were finalized, goodbyes said, and gifts exchanged, there was one more fact to discuss...

The betrothal of the Prince Imperial, to Anna Pavlovna, the Tsar's sister.

640px-Louis-L%C3%A9opold_Boilly_002.jpg

The Arrival of the Diligence (stagecoach) in the Courtyard of the Messageries. Louis Léopold Boilly

II.

Paris, France; May, 17th, 1911.
Place de la Concorde...

François Petroffsky was always late to something. He was late for dinner with his wife, Marie. He was late to business meetings. No matter what it was or what he had to do, important or small, he was late. Trying his damnedest to bail a taxi, preferably one of the newer terre-croisières[1]. The Place de la Concorde was unfortunately always a busy place. It was always most manic on election days, but today there was a different reason. The whole of Paris seemed inflamed; time stood still, only the bellowing cries of the paperboys audible over the massive crowd.

“Read all about it! Read all about it! Prince Imperial shot and murdered in Munich! Emperor to address the Assemblée nationale! Read all about it! Read all about it!”

François was in a state of shock as he heard the news. Had the Prince Imperial really been shot? Poor Napoleon Charles; he had seemed like a bright boy, a shining beacon that everyone had pressed their hopes into. And only seventeen! What had the cowardly Teuton Beasts in Bavaria done to France—and indeed, Europe's hope?! Pulling from his pocket a couple of sous, François paid the nearest boy for a copy of the news paper as he opened it up to read it. What kind of cruel twist of fate; a young man, liberal in his life and outlook; a man devoted to the betterment of Europe, tossed aside and cut down in his prime. It was ridiculous, a total farce that meant absolutely nothing to François.

He needed to get home. His wife would certainly hate to hear the news; he would have to break it gently. Such were the woes of members of the imperial court; François as a tutor to the young Prince Imperial (what would be do now?) to his wife, a servant of the Empress as a lady-in-waiting (how certain he was that the Empress would weep at the loss of her only son).

It was the day that the world died, and changed, forever.

[1] Automobile

MQACGCp.jpg

Europe following the Peace of Tilsit, 1807.

III.

The twilight of Napoleon's reign is known as the years following post-1807, and the signing of the Treaty of Tilsit between France and Russia. Brought together by alliance, it was also secured in blood with the betrothal of Anna Pavlona (b. 1795) to Napoleon's son and heir, Napoleon Charles (b. 1796), better known as Napoleon II during his reign of the French Empire.

The largest part of Napoleon's peace with Russia was the continental system which arranged a European wide embargo against British trade. Although smuggling did occur, it was notable with the entrance of Russia into the embargo, closing a very lucrative market to British trade. The blockade did have it's faults, however. Despite closing Europe, Britain was still able to trade with Portugal, which attempted in vain to avoid subscribing to Napoleon's embargo, whilst Spain, allied to France since 1806, was experiencing it's own internal unrest due the incompetence of the King of Spain's prime minister, Godoy. Rumored to be a lover of the Queen of Spain, he had no scruples doing what was necessary to climb to the top. He was far from brilliant from his job, and many felt he as well as Charles IV, the King of Spain, were too incompetent to lead the country. Ferdinand, the Prince of Asturias lead the fight against his father, hoping to depose him in favor of himself.

Napoleon was highly interested in the situation at the Spanish court; it was in his favor there was dissensions, as it allowed him to do as he pleased, and having Spain as a friendly ally was most important; in Napoleon's own words, Spain was too tough of a nut to crack, and he would be unable to directly rule over it. Instead, it needed to be kept as a friendly proxy. For the time being, Napoleon did not wish to risk invading Portugal; although it's ports remained open to British trade and thus allowed products to seep into Europe, he had no desire to hold it down. Spain fell under further French influence when the Spanish royal guard revolted against Charles IV, demanding not only Godoy's resignation, but the king's abdication in favor of his son. Charles IV, realizing he was within a hopeless situation, chose to abdicate. He sought refuge in Rome, whilst Napoleon recognized this change in monarchs. Compared to Godoy's toadyism and supposed British sympathies, Ferdinand, now Ferdinand VII, was a noted Francophile, subscribing not only to an alliance with France, but closing it's harbors to British trade. Napoleon recognized the coup in Spain, and negotiations were opened for Ferdinand to wed Napoleon's niece, the Princess Filistine Charlotte, the daughter of Lucien Bonaparte, who had been pressured to return to France by his brother the emperor.

Although only thirteen at the time of the treaty signing, Filistine would eventually married to the King of Spain shortly after her fifteenth birthday in 1810. It was this marriage, along with the eventual marriage between Napoleon II and Anna Pavlovna, that fully cemented the Bonaparte's as royalty, more than mere nouveau riche upstarts as they had been viewed following Napoleon's crowning in 1804—these marriages helped France bind Spain and Russia closer towards her, Spain most especially. Napoleon was at his epoch; although Portugal remained outside his grasp, he was the undisputed master of Europe, protector of the Confederation of the Rhine and reigning over Italy with his stepson, Eugene as not only his viceroy, as the recognized heir of Italy as Prince of Venice, and his brother, Joseph, as King of Naples.

The Continental blockade had both positive and negative effects. Positively, it gave the infant industry in France a chance to develop, developing connections with Germany, Italy, and Russia, protecting it from British completion. From the nascant fabric producers in Wallonia, to the mills of Champagne, to agriculture in Italy, it flourished. The blockade however, did not harm British trade exactly. It merely redirected it to other parts of the world as British merchants aggressively sought out new markets—such as America. Yet with the blockade holding up, creating a virtual zone for French trade, the seas continued to be ruled by Britain, and continued to represent a threat to Napoleon's empire...

Last edited:
Apparently in this TL as in OTL ... "Plus ca change, plus c'est la même chose"

Indeed... I'm also being very broad with the butterfly effect, as this is a mini timeline. I was inspired by an old alt hist I read a long time ago.

I'm also probably not going to finish it in a day as I imagined. Nevertheless, I'll keep it going. :)

my goodness napoleon married to anna pavlovna, otl her marriage with william II (NL) produced king gorilla (william III), a nasty sadistic piece of work (one of his hobbies as child...torture aimals). So one can only imagine what the combination with napoleon will bring.
Maybe ittl Louis Napoleon makes a bigger success of the Netherlands.

my goodness napoleon married to anna pavlovna, otl her marriage with william II (NL) produced king gorilla (william III), a nasty sadistic piece of work (one of his hobbies as child...torture aimals). So one can only imagine what the combination with napoleon will bring.
Maybe ittl Louis Napoleon makes a bigger success of the Netherlands.

Well, not Napoleon himself, but rather Napoleon's son with Josephine, the Prince Imperial. ;) He shares the same name as his father though, and eventually becomes Napoleon II (as you can deduce from the chapters so far) Interesting still, though, imagining how the blood of the Romanov's and Bonaparte's will mix..

Louis Napoleon may be more successful, I don't wish to spoil things... but at the very least he does retain his throne. :)

Louis Napoleon may be more successful, I don't wish to spoil things... but at the very least he does retain his throne. :)

which will be good for the Netherlands, Louis Napoleon was a more competent ruler than the 3 williams combined
although this also means, we get stuck with his son (or whoever's son he was, since that was kinda debatable) the OTL Napoleon III

interesting times ahead lol

which will be good for the Netherlands, Louis Napoleon was a more competent ruler than the 3 williams combined
although this also means, we get stuck with his son (or whoever's son he was, since that was kinda debatable) the OTL Napoleon III

interesting times ahead lol

Well, do remember, the Prince Royal of the Netherlands (the one Napoleon considered as his possible heir before finally divorcing Josephine IOTL) did die in 1807... butterflies could cause him to live. ;)

600px-Battle_of_Chapultepec.jpg

Battle for Mexican Independence, showing the siege of the Chaputepec Castle (now restored)

IV.

Mexico City, Mexico; May 17th, 1911
Palacio de Chapultepec

Maria Euliana de la Paz Isabel Francisca Luisa Juana de Borbón, better known as the Infanta Euliana de la Paz of Mexico, could hardly stand to hear the news as Marianna Azcárate y Ledesma, Euliana's favorite and a lady-in-waiting to Euliana held the telegram in hand. Relaying the awful message, the infanta could only let out a wail of despair as she sunk to the floor. Hands shaking as he gripped at her crinoline for some type of support, she soon erupted into painful sobs that echoed throughout her chamber and into the nearby halls of the palace. Begging for the favorite to leave her with the note, she held it up in order to read it one last time. All she hoped was perhaps it was all some cruel farce conspired by her elder brothers, perhaps; yet instead she was met with the burning words last uttered by her lady. Wailing again as she read each word, feeling a sting within her chest as she read each word to herself. It was true.

Prince François Napoleon shot in Munich. STOP. Declared dead at the scene. STOP. Suspected anti-Bonapartist plot. STOP. Kingdom of Bavaria absolved of any wrongdoing. STOP. Tour of the Confederation cancelled. STOP. Bavarian Cabinet promise full investigation. STOP. Greatest sympathies to your highness. STOP. More news to follow.

José de Turel Moctezuma y Calatayud, Conde de Moctezuma de Tultengo
Ambassador Plenipotentiary to the Kingdom of Bavaria

Europe had lost it's finest prince of the decade. Yet Euliana was not wailing for Europe's loss. She cared not for Europe at this moment, the very word a vile poison to her. No, she was weeping for herself; François Napoleon was—no, had—been her fiancé. The wedding had been scheduled for next month, the preparation having been made months—if not years, before. Euliana would never be Empress of the French. Nor would she ever be a Princess Imperial. Once again, she merely just an Infanta of Mexico. She rose, barely, to look around her room. All she saw were mementos that served to remind her of her loss. Theirs had been arranged match, but Euliana felt as if she had truly loved the Prince; they had met as children and had remained close friends attached through letters. When she learned they were to be married, the girl who was thirteen balked at the idea. Marriage? To a boy that seemed like a brother? Yet the letters continued and a genuine love had developed. Now it was gone forever.

Euliana threw her nervous energies at the French Imperial flag as it hung, taunting her. Ripping it done and tossing it across her chamber, she collapsed for a second time as she looked mournfully at her trousseau. How useless it all had been! The tutors, the etiquette masters, the dull lessons meant to shape her into a proper empress. It was all gone. The two million paestas voted by the Mexican Congress—not just for her wedding trousseau, but her dowry as well: it was all wasted now; an unnecessary expense that could've been allocated to the people of Mexico. The only comfort was the gift of the Hacienda of Estrellas, just outside the city limits where she had hosted François Napoleon so many times. She would have his memory and cherish it, if she could not have him.

She knew in the end she had been a political bargaining chip; her proposed marriage to the Prince Imperial was meant to cement ties between the two countries of Mexico and France, yet the true details were unknown to her. Alliances, connections, rapprochement; all of it was foreign to her. The only feeling she truly recalled was that of Napoleon Charles, his ideas and his passions. She had no doubt that he would have been a fine emperor—and with her by his side, a radiant one as well. She imagined their family they might have had, now that it was all gone in a flash. There was nothing left now except for memories. Why had she been abandoned to this cruel fate, without any hope of escaping it.

“What cruel fate, to tease me and then yank it all away.”

The Infanta was hysterical at the loss of her Napoleon—the same sorrow that the greatest Emperor of France must have felt when he lost his own love, Josephine. Euliana knew she needed to press on, but she had no idea how. It was after the hours of seclusion and tears that she once more allowed her ladies within her presence. They were horrified at her condition, her skin white as a ghost. She was commanded to bed and she did so dutifully. Yet her nerves continued to haunt her; there was no respite for her, and Marianna took it on herself to summon the doctor of the imperial household, Rudolfo Gómez de la Cortina in order to inspect the princess. The doctor inspected her for only a brief moment before he could come to a conclusion. By this time the news of the Prince Imperial of France being shot had filtered throughout the complex of the palace.

“Her imperial highness the infanta shall be fine,” Doctor de la Cortina advised, reaching into his bag. He pulled out a vial along with hypodermic needle. A short smile on his face, the needle was placed into the vial as he drew up the liquid. “—she is merely suffering from a mild case of hysteria. I am going to provide her with a sedative...”

The good doctor wasted no time in injecting the princess with his “sedative.” The infanta felt relief almost instantly. Gone was the cold; she felt a warmth spread through her body, closing her eyes. She even smiled a little, lulling herself into a fitful sleep. Once it was certain she was sleeping, the doctor nodded at Marianna, the premier lady-in-waiting, passing her several more vials.

“She is asleep. When she awakens, provide her more as needed and necessary. I have furnished the supplies.”

“Doctor—“ Marianna couldn't help but interrupt. “—What exactly are we providing the infanta with?”

“Morphine. It is terribly useful in calming female hysteria. Now, good day doña Marianna. I must tend to the Empress—she too suffers from mild hysteria; as you can see, it is an effective treatment.”

Last edited:
Well, do remember, the Prince Royal of the Netherlands (the one Napoleon considered as his possible heir before finally divorcing Josephine IOTL) did die in 1807... butterflies could cause him to live. ;)

Even more, Napoleon III was only the 3rd son. Inbetween is Napoleon Louis, who died IOTL because of his involvment in the italian carbonari movement. This death is definitely butterflied away ITTL.

Well, this looks interesting. No Spanish ulcer for Boney, just a Spanish marriage for his niece. Wonder if her sister got married to the deposed grand duke of Tuscany's son as was also planned?

Plus, perhaps an earlier kid for the hapless Fernando el Deseado, and a definite half-Beauharnais no-two-ways-about-it-unquestionably-legitimate heir for Napoléon is always fun.

Keep up the good work:D

Interesting. I assume Britain is in an awkward state...

Quite. The Continental System didn't exactly harm her badly; she was able to reroute her trade, not to mention she possesed captive markets. But with the system holding out, combined with another embargo... it will definitely put a squeeze on Britain.