TL: The Hashemite Kingdom of Palestine

Devvy

Donor
In-vogue introduction stuff:

After gallivanting around the Middle East (Jordan and Israel) over the last few years, I just wanted to write something about the region. So here we go. It's written as a travel diary format - I experimented with this ages ago about the Nordics but wasn't happy, but credit to iainbhx for showing a nice writing format for the travel diary for me to use for inspiration! Don't expect it to be uber-accurate and detail gushing; I've written it just as a light-hearted little timeline.

A significant portion of this is at least inspired, if not based, on my actual travels around the region! :)

Devvy

Donor
Chapter 1: Aqaba to Wadi Musa

Coming ashore in Aqaba is often said to be a interesting entry to the Hashemite Kingdom of Palestine. The cruise ship has wandered up the Gulf at what seemed like walking speed, flanked on either side by the countries of Egypt and Saudi Arabia; long-time rivals of Palestine ever since the Sauds stole the Hejaz from the Hashemites. The republican government in Egypt is equally opposed to the "regressive nature of the Hashemite Monarchy" in Palestine, although one suspects it has more to do with realpolitik them actual philosophy against the western leaning Palestine. Ever since Egypt took possession of the Suez Canal in the 1950s, and starting dictating about shipping, Palestine was quick to jump on an opportunity, acting as an entrepot between it's Indian Ocean facing port of Aqaba and it's Mediterranean Sea facing ports.

Anyhow, the cruise ship has wound it's way in to port, and I've eventually checked in to the Hilton in Aqaba (after queuing for a while to get through immigration and paying a €10 visa fee). A very pleasant hotel; if somewhat bland. Normally I'd stay in more local guesthouses and the like, but Aqaba has thrived as a port city and "Red Sea resort", and most guesthouses have been priced out of the market. The signs of westernisation (and the corresponding western tourist crowds) are everywhere to be seen, from the Golden Arches in the food court down the road, or the "English pub" named as the "Rover's Return". Anyhow; I'm here for a quick holiday jaunt through Palestine after a few weeks working in Dubai. The room view from the Hilton Aqaba is mediocre; despite being advertised as a sea view (granted I can see the sea), I get an amazing view of a Burger King restaurant sign, and then a bunch of container ships at sea waiting to come into port and offload their goods (or waiting to collect goods I guess). Time for some lunch though, and after a couple of weeks already solely eating Middle Eastern cuisine, the McDonalds place actually seems pretty appetising; unusual for me considering my normal aversion to the place.

The excursions desk is booking day trips out of the hotel, for which I've grabbed an overnight trip out to Wadi Rum. The local Bedouin seem to have happily converted to entertaining tourists; the small camps generally seem comfortable, and we are soon off on a sightseeing trip around the desert. Several films have been filmed here - mostly those set on an extraterrestrial location. "Red Planet", "Night of the Martians" and "Apollo 18" have all filmed here and gone on to blockbuster successes. However, it's the little memorial to Lawrence of Arabia and (then) Prince Abdullah that captures my attention in a little canyon. The agreement between these two during and after the First World War set the initial basis for the modern country - the British territories of Palestine and Transjordan. The history of this is abundant everywhere; British-Palestinian relations have always been strong, and English as a second language is everywhere - fluently spoken by most locals, and present on many, if not the vast majority, of the signage.

Anyhow, after a few days, I've moved on. The JET (Jordan Express Transit) bus is now rather frequent and punctual for the Aqaba-Wadi Musa trip, although the frustratingly unlike the regular public buses, they won't stop apart from the defined bus stations. It apparently used to be "JETT" (Jordan Express Tourist Transit), but changed name as most buses were usually frequented by more locals then tourists due to it's punctual and reliable nature. It is also possible to travel by rail a portion of the way (to Ma'an), but the service is irregular; the railway itself is dominated by freight at this end of the country. Container trains wind their way between the Port of Aqaba and the major cities, or the Mediterranean Ports for onwards transit. Some now run directly to Syria and Turkey, thanks to the recent integration efforts between the three following the perceived rejection of Turkey by the European Union.

It means a long hike up the hill from Wadi Musa bus station to my hotel. On the flip side, being so high up, the hotel has a spectacular view over the town, and down towards the entrance to the Petra Archaeological Park. The bus station is rammed though - unfortunately as Wadi Musa is buried in the middle of the Jordan Rift Valley hills; the terrain is rugged, and road transport is the only means of transport (along a few roads) in and out of the town. Although this part of the world can be like walking in a furnace during the middle of the day, during early morning and late evening it's actually quite pleasant.

Petra itself though is quite the shock; the status of Petra in the modern-day "Wonders of the World" in the 1990s seems to have significantly boosted tourism over the years, and the ticket price for entry for non-Palestinians is quite steep at €75 for a day ticket, or €100 for a two day ticket. Eye wateringly expensive, but the fact that a significant proportion goes to archaeological research in Petra, and modernisation of the surrounding infrastructure is at least some relief rather then effectively lobbing cash at a far away bureaucrat. Petra itself is stunning, although tiring; the steep slopes and hundreds of steps up and down are exhausting. In some ways, it's no surprise that some tourists go to the Al-Khazneh and then turn back, seemingly having ticked Petra off their list despite having seen only a fraction of the site with that one building. Expensive ticket. The increased tourist trade is also evident the enormous amount of tourist tat shops outside the Petra main gate, having been moved from inside the park a few years ago; locals still offer donkey rides inside though, for those who can't manage the ups and downs. Dinner in Wadi Musa looks like most other tourist spots; a variety of questionably "local cuisine" restaurants, flanked by several "pizzerias" and amazingly some version of a far eastern restaurant, probably catering towards the Chinese, Korean and Japanese tour groups who arrive en masse on their organised and highly scheduled holiday trips.

This area of southern Palestine also shows off it's "international" character in a different way; step away from the international hotel chains towards the independent guesthouses and hotels, and there seems to be a remarkable number run by local-and-foreigner couples. My hotel in Wadi Musa is run by a Kiwi ex-pat who is married to a local. Anyhow; time for a good sleep; I'm renting a car from tomorrow to wind my way up along the historic King's Highway and head west towards the Jewish Zone (or Jewish Autonomous Area to be precise) over the next few days.

And like that, Israel stopped existing.
:)D)
Anyway, great start. Interested where this is taking us.

Interesting beginning. I am looking forward to reading more.

I think McDonald's may be butterflied with this scenario however.

Devvy

Donor
And like that, Israel stopped existing.
:)D)
Anyway, great start. Interested where this is taking us.

Interesting beginning. I am looking forward to reading more.

I think McDonald's may be butterflied with this scenario however.

Glad it's of interest. :)

As for McD's - there will probably be a few other points like this throughout. It's only a lighthearted timeline, so I'll leave it in as it's a recognisable symbol of "westernisation" everyone is familiar with.

I don't think this country could survive more than a few years, afterwards imploding because of inside fighting between the Jewish part wanting more Jews immigrants coming after WWII like otl, while the Arabs oppose this.
Also, under the British rule the Jews had semi-independent institutions that administrated the Jewish settlements across Palestine, without any major British intervention.
The relationship between the Bedouin (the original inhabitants of Jordan) and the Arabs in Palestine weren't good at all, in 1951 Palestinians extremists assassinated king Abdullah in Jerusalem.
Overall, the relations between the 3 sides were bad and they couldn't cooperate in anything meaningful.

Devvy

Donor
I don't think this country could survive more than a few years, afterwards imploding because of inside fighting between the Jewish part wanting more Jews immigrants coming after WWII like otl, while the Arabs oppose this.
Also, under the British rule the Jews had semi-independent institutions that administrated the Jewish settlements across Palestine, without any major British intervention.
The relationship between the Bedouin (the original inhabitants of Jordan) and the Arabs in Palestine weren't good at all, in 1951 Palestinians extremists assassinated king Abdullah in Jerusalem.
Overall, the relations between the 3 sides were bad and they couldn't cooperate in anything meaningful.

My reading of the situation was that prior to the birth of Israel, that they were all predominately Arab rather then Palestinian. The Palestinians only came into being as a separate people due to the collective history of being the (trying to be diplomatic here) second people in Israel. Abdullah was assassinated for trying to sign an peace treaty with Israel, ignoring the rest of the Arab states relations with Israel, which won't happen here as Israel doesn't exist - at least not in the same way.

But granted, there will be significant tensions between western-leaning Palestine (*Jordan), backed by the West, republic Egypt & Syria, and wahabbist Saudi Arabia. Stay tuned.

But....the country does survive. A) I'm an eternal optimist. Sorry! B) It would be a pretty boring and short TL otherwise (as I don't really like writing about war!) :)

So, how free is the Jewish Zone?

Wait a chapter or two, and we'll get to it!

I don't think this country could survive more than a few years, afterwards imploding because of inside fighting between the Jewish part wanting more Jews immigrants coming after WWII like OTL, while the Arabs oppose this.
That depends, you generally need a critical mass of population before something like that might occur. Since this is in After 1900 there could have been any number of changes in what events happened or how things turned out. Easiest example I can think of would be no Balfour Declaration being made, it was based on a laughingly bad misunderstanding of the level of Jewish influence in revolutionary Russia and the United States, which would be liable to change practically everything post-war. I'm sure that there might be some levels of Jewish immigration, either legally or illegally, but nothing on the scale of our timeline which could leave them outnumbered and with better Anglo-Palestinian relations. We're all speculating in the dark however until Devvy fills in more of the backstory/history of the Hashemite Kingdom of Palestine and the region, something which I'll certainly be interested to see. :)

I love how your writing is sooo easy to read. Your timeline and adventures look interesting. I look forward to reading more. :)

Shoshana <3

Devvy

Donor
Chapter 2: Wadi Musa to Tel Aviv

The sole car rental place available in Wadi Musa is Hertz, and by the looks of things I'm on the only customer for a while (thank god I prebooked). I'm guessing most tourists hire their car in one of the major cities or ports of entry rather then here. However, I'd rather use public transport where I can - I always feel you get a greater insight in to the country and meet different people when using it. However, from Wadi Musa towards Gaza is difficult on public transport; the sole options are a patchwork of irregular buses between tiny villages, usually one per day even if they run at all. Hardly viable unless you have weeks to kill - which excludes me.

The car is reasonable, and thankfully sports air conditioning, even if it does struggle in the Middle Eastern heat. After winding my way up small roads with absolutely stunning scenery, my first stop is the crusader castle at Kerak. The road up isn't in great shape however; stark contrast to the motorway up from Aqaba which is in top condition, even if the driving standards and culture are "different" to Western Europe. The castle, though, is absolutely stunning, perched high up with an unrivalled viewpoint at the land around. Probably more useful in past centuries for keeping an eye out for enemy armies however. At least the entrance price is lower then Petra at a mere €5 - "Tots bargainous" as an old friend would say.

The next stop is the Dead Sea; floating the in the sea is quite the sensation, definitely to be done whilst reading a newspaper. This area is definitely popular amongst the tourists (reflected again in the entry price on to the beach at €25); the amount of high end hotels along the Dead Sea beach is also testament to that. It's not been helped over the years either; several of the older hotels who built further down the canyon closer to the Dead Sea waterline during the 1990s (when the Dead Sea was smaller and sea level lower) have been forced to close after the Red-Dead Canal opened, helping restore and raise the level of the Dead Sea, as well as provide significant hydroelectric energy during the dropping water course. Demand has probably dropped since the solar energy law in 2005 though; all new properties are now built with a solar water heater on the roof to reduce the requirements on the electric grid; it's now becoming a common sight on the older properties apparently, and I've seen many photovoltaic solar panels as well on houses. Why pay for energy when the sun showers the country in it for free I guess!?

After leaving, I've driven across the canal to spend the night in Bir as-Sab. For the modern historian, this town became famous following the repulse of the Egyptian invasion of Palestine in 1949 due to "the illegal recognition of Jewish residence in Palestine, and ignorance of the rights of the Arabs in Palestine"; most saw it (correctly in my opinion) as an invasion to oust the Hashemites, who had rapidly become a thorn in Egypt's side for the role as "leader" of the Arab world. Egypt and Syria undertook to jointly invade Palestine, with them sharing the spoils. In fairness, the Palestinian repulse of the invaders has as much to do with the Syrian and Egyptian Army's poor performance as the Palestinian's excellent performance. The result would be a trigger to the Egyptian revolution (ironically itself a step towards Egypt's nationalisation of the Suez Canal and later restriction of shipping, which only strengthened the Palestinian economy). The repulse of the Egyptians and Syrians, however, seems to have been one of the defining moment in domestic relations between the Muslim Palestinians and Jewish immigrants. The competing firepower in the earlier civil war was redirected jointly towards the invaders; the Haganah (the predecessor of the Jewish Militia), along with the Arab Legion (predecessor of the Palestinian Armed Forces) both turned to rebuff the Egyptian Army (and the Syrians from the north) - the Arabs not wanting to be subjugated by the Egyptians or Syrians, and the Jews fearing for their very existence in the Holy Land. After the successful defence and ousting of the invaders, there was tacit acceptance by both sides that neither would have won the war alone, such were the numbers of well armed Egyptians and Syrians (even if they were strategically woeful), which set the tone for talks to normalise the situation.

The town has obviously played on it's role in the war to raise it's profile, along with some questionable historiography - the events surrounding the spate of police bombings are quickly bypassed, as a handful of protesters advocated for the enactment of an independent "Palestine", instead of being merged with the Emirate of Transjordan. The protesters were quickly driven underground, before several other protests, and were forced out - mostly fleeing to southern Lebanon. The Turkish Old City is a real sight though, complete with quaint roads and tree-lined avenues, restaurants and bazaars to mooch around. Some excellent food in the local restaurants, and it's made a real change to the cuisine so far on this trip which has been predominately flatbread with some variety of hummus and other dips. The area has obviously been thoroughly cleaned and looked after recently, and much of it is pedestrianised now - ideal for the tourist! It's also the first point at which I've had to crack open my wallet and use my stash of Palestinian Pounds; the tourist nature of Aqaba, Wadi Musa and the Dead Sea so far have all meant that my Switch debit card has been easily and widely accepted. The Palestinian Pound (usually written as P£) is trading at about €1.35=P£1....good enough for €4=P£3 calculations in my head.

On from Bir as-Sab, I've driven in to Gaza, the last stop before I return my car as it's beginning to lighten my pocket a tad too much. Gaza is clearly one of the agricultural regions of the country; there are countless farms on the outskirts of the city, producing everything from strawberries and vegetables, to citrus fruits and dates. I suspect the investment in the desalination plant by the sea may have helped; they must go through large amounts of water for this scale of crop cultivation. The Great Mosque of Gaza is a real sight, and seems to be the prime mosque open for tourists in the city; there is usually one in each city it seems for the non-Muslim to enter. There are numerous memorials dotted around as well to the Egypt-Palestine war, and a "Square of the Unknown Soldier" in memorial to all those who died - Gaza was swamped by the Egyptians during the war, before being forced back later. It's location close to the Egyptian border, and close history with Egypt heralded some calls for Gaza to be part of Egypt until the war (for which annexation was part of the Egyptian war aims it would seem), however the Egyptian temporary occupation did themselves no favours, while heavily taxing the residents for the occupation did little to ingratiate themselves with the locals.

The small domestic airport outside Gaza is short drive away; I could fly up, but taking the train from the "parkway" station at the airport is easier - not least because it's easy to return the car at the airport as there is a Hertz desk there, let alone the security for flights these days. The location has changed since the original Gaza International Airport; it's location adjacent to the Palestine-Egypt border made some flights difficult whilst keeping out of Egyptian airspace. It now sits between Gaza and Bir as-Sab, serving both cities. After returning the car, I've bought a ticket and caught the 13:18 train up the coast. It's a small local train, and the coaches are not air conditioned unfortunately, so pretty much every window is wide open, taking every bit of the possible breeze to keep cool. The train slowly meanders up the coast after leaving Gaza; Asqalan, Ashdod, Yavne, and then a load of suburbs before reaching my destination: Tel Aviv, heart of the Jewish Canton.

-------------------
Notes: So progress so far has been Palestine merged with Transjordan (we'll get to that soon). Egypt and Syria have invaded (poor relations between the states with no common enemy of OTL Israel); Egypt sees Gaza as rightfully it's territory now that the Brits have left, and probably sees the Grand Mufti heading up northern Palestine as a client state. Syria is after much of north Jordan. The poor performance of both ends up pushing Egypt into revolution with *Nasser of some form; Suez nationalisation is a later step. However, the lack of a local ally in *Israel, and the little more stable situation in Palestine here for shipping Iraqi oil out to Europe means that no action is taken; what exactly this means for East-of-Suez I don't know.

Last edited:
Just caught up on the action. Really easy reading and small tid bits you drop in the narration acts to the fun. Keep up the good work.

Labour Zionism, Jewish migration, and the Cold War

Given that a significant portion of the Zionist movement was avowedly socialist, how is this going to effect relations between the royal government and the Jewish population? Furthermore, what is the government's stance on further Jewish migration into Palestine?

Would the Jewish population be seen as a potential fifth column for anti-monarchist forces? Will socialist and republican Arab nationalists, both in Palestine and outside of it, attempt to reconcile and build links with the Labour Zionists as a means of opposing the Hashemite monarchy?

Finally, what role is the Cold War going to play on the geopolitics of the region. I could see the Soviet Union opposing Kingdom of Palestine through building relations with Syria and Egypt. If push comes to shove they could even go as far as backing some form of Labour Zionism in the name of national self-determination and socialism.

Either way, I can see a lot of tensions between the Hashemites and Jewish population that would take more than just a war and an autonomous zone to dispel.

Devvy

Donor
Just caught up on the action. Really easy reading and small tid bits you drop in the narration acts to the fun. Keep up the good work.

I love how your writing is sooo easy to read. Your timeline and adventures look interesting. I look forward to reading more. :)

Shoshana <3

Glad you're enjoying it! :D

Given that a significant portion of the Zionist movement was avowedly socialist, how is this going to effect relations between the royal government and the Jewish population? Furthermore, what is the government's stance on further Jewish migration into Palestine?

I think there isn't going to be as much of a pull factor for Jews, but significant numbers will still attempt to migrate into the area. For Government, it's a bit awkward; considering the attempted invasion by Egypt & Syria (who expected to walk in), and the combined Jewish/*Jordanian forces only just managing to repel them, there is a need to consolidate control in the *Israel areas. For Jews from East Europe, I think Palestine is still going to look like a better option then staying at home. For Jews in other Arab countries, probably not so much difference (at least at this point!).

Given the Egyptian-Grand Mufti relations, Egypt's heavy advocation for an independent "Palestine" (as distinct from Transjordan), and this front having heavy anti-Semitism attached to it, going fully independent is extremely risky for the Jewish people. You lose the alliance of a well equipped and effective Arab Legion in helping defend you, and cross your fingers you can survive and not be driven out. It's not going to resolve itself as soon as the war is over, there will be a significant amount of "integration" years, etc etc, but it's possible I think; especially as possession is 9/10 of the law, and it's currently a "united Palestine" already.

Would the Jewish population be seen as a potential fifth column for anti-monarchist forces? Will socialist and republican Arab nationalists, both in Palestine and outside of it, attempt to reconcile and build links with the Labour Zionists as a means of opposing the Hashemite monarchy?

Maybe. I think the political butterflies are enormous here; when you have little money and food, basically been driving out of your homeland, then personally I think ideology goes out of the window. What matters is who gives you a roof over your head, the opportunity to work and get bread on the table, and who helps you on that will stick long and hard in your head. Jewish migration to Palestine doesn't need to be officially encouraged at all, but those that arrive are potentially loyal if treated right. Again, it's going to be a delicate balancing act.

Finally, what role is the Cold War going to play on the geopolitics of the region. I could see the Soviet Union opposing Kingdom of Palestine through building relations with Syria and Egypt. If push comes to shove they could even go as far as backing some form of Labour Zionism in the name of national self-determination and socialism.

Either way, I can see a lot of tensions between the Hashemites and Jewish population that would take more than just a war and an autonomous zone to dispel.

As far as I've got through walking through the scenario (1960ish), we've obviously seen close Egypt-Syria relations. That will still manifest itself into the UAR here which itself will have close relations with the Soviet Union as you say. If the Jews are treated reasonably within the Kingdom, then I don't really think there is much motivation for outright independence - but taking as much autonomy as possible is well on the cards. I've already mentioned that this Palestine has jumped on the opportunity to act as an entrepot with both Mediterranean and Indian Ocean facing ports, which has come about from Egyptian nationalisation of the Suez. Jewish independence is going to either brake or at least have a major effect on that trade, and thus make the country poorer economically.

There are going to be domestic tensions - there is an outright Muslim King over all the Jews after all, but handled correctly, the external pressures to remain in the Kingdom, and internal economic pull factors, will be compelling if they are not abused.

PS: I don't pretend I have everything figured out here, or even that everything I posit is the most likely thing to happen. It's just a few short pieces (maybe 6 chapters) as a little bit of enjoyable writing; and we all know that OTL history is far from predictable or follows the "most-likely" option anyway! :)

Last edited:
Did the jews of the Maghreb still migrate to the holy land? Would be interesting to see the effect of no Israel and a strong Palastine on the muslim world.
Looking forward to more updates.

Devvy

Donor
Tel Aviv is a stunning, modern, and seemingly western city. This country is a land of seemingly variety and multiculturalism - even if many in the west would see that word in a poor light. The city is clearly highly westernised - no doubt from the countless Jewish immigrants to here over the decades from places like Western Europe, although the sprawling city encapsulates the small Old City of Jaffa - where my guesthouse is located, situated within easy viewing of the statue of Jonah. It reminds me of wandering about the souks in Tunisia many years ago - unsurprising given the reach of the Ottoman Empire over the years I guess. The Jewish Nationalists say they could attract more immigration and citizens if they were an independent and sovereign nation, but they seem to have done pretty well for themselves anyhow, and the faction is quite a vocal minority in the Jewish Assembly.

Following the Egypt/Syria - Palestine war, and tacit acceptance that for defensive reasons it was probably best to be part of Palestine with a unified military and defence, the ground shifted towards the political negotiations. Non-negotiable was the position of King Abdullah as the King of Palestine and all those within it, and the rights of the Jewish population to elect representatives to the Palestinian Parliament. Devolution to a Jewish Assembly was part of the agreement; the level of devolution seems to be roughly in the middle of the status of Scotland, Bavaria or Catalonia. Most social policies, such as healthcare, education, emergency services, local transport and housing are devolved (with some guidelines they must follow apparently, the most obvious seems that all must learn Arabic as a second language if it's not the language of instruction). Most tax revenues are controlled by Amman, but with many proceeds from the Jewish Canton going to the Jewish Assembly in order to fund it's budgets. This area seems to be some kind of linguistic melting pot; clearly Hebrew is a popular language between Jewish people; Arabic is also frequently spoken as it's taught in schools, with English also widely spoken as the fashionable language and global lingua franca. And there is a huge amount in English in use here. The road signs make me laugh - most of them are trilingual between Hebrew, Arabic and English, which means huge signs everywhere.

The Jewish Militia, or Haganah as it's officially known locally, is the remnant of the Jewish paramilitary forces that fought for Jewish independence in the 1940s, attempting to drive out the British and form a new independent state. It's role and duty have never been properly defined it seems - although they seem to crop up all over the place. I suppose they are something like the "State Defence Forces" in the US States, acting against another potential hostile invasion, although they do seem to have some civil duties; they are easily viewable on duty protecting the Jewish political establishments (Assembly buildings, official residences, etc), and like Bavaria used to do, have managed to get themselves a role as the local Border Force, processing international travellers arriving at the local airports and seaports. Palestine seems to have copied the mantra of British politics at home; "no matter how crazy or bizarre it seems, if it ain't broken, don't fix it".

And it does seem to have worked; Tel Aviv is a bustling, successful, city. Most major international companies seem to have their national headquaters here, although several seem to have some R&D/design labs located up the coast in Haifa, with production again ending up elsewhere - often over in Jordan (usually the east side), or elsewhere in the world. The money is apparent compared to trundling around southern Palestine; the cars are new, there are multilane motorways, light rail trams around the city centre, and locals engaged in recreational activities - especially in the Yarkon Park. Anyhow, enough musing on the local politics; I've bought a ticket on one of those hop-on-hop-off tourist buses. A bit mass-market, but at least you see a load of things, and can then decide later what to visit in greater detail. We've driven through Israel Square (where the Jewish-Palestine final political agreement was eventually signed in 1955), Orchestra Plaza (apparently the Palestine equivalent to Leicester Square!) and past the Jewish Museum of Palestine within a short time. After wondering around the Museum later, it seems there is a minor version of the Elgin debate doing on; several large artifacts from Petra, Jerash and Ramla are here, which provokes the ire of some Islamist groups who demand that they should be shown in Jordanian museums instead, local to where they came from. Seems to be a storm in a tea cup though; as long as the Jewish Museum is free to enter (a refreshing change for me), I can't see why there would be much real serious debate about it, but maybe I'm biased considering the British Museum/Elgin Marbles situation.

I've done a day trip out as well - it's a lot easier getting around Tel Aviv then previous cities thanks to the city light rail system and excellent bus system. Ramla is the first place for me to visit, where the historic tower still stands (and is pictured on one of the banknotes). It is a steep climb up the top, although the view is magnificent. There is also a Commonwealth War Graves Commission site here with a few thousand memorials - I think I had a distant family member die here, but I have no idea if he is buried inside, so I've not bothered going much to my mother's consternation. Although the nightlife and bar scene is great in Tel Aviv, it seems to be time to move on, as there isn't actually that much tourist stuff to see here. Hopping back on the local trains, it's easy enough to get a seat northwards to the Jewish second city of Haifa. If I thought Aqaba was a bustling sea port, this is a whole different level. Apparently there has been a constant stream of Iraqi oil piped in to Palestine over the years, and the refineries here are testament to it - as are the number of oil tanker ships hovering in the harbour, awaiting the black gold. Forget what I said about Tel Aviv - this is clearly the economic centre of Jewish Canton. Apparently "Haifa works to keep Tel Aviv playing". Who knew? As I mentioned earlier, there seem to be a string of international corporate offices on the outskirts on the way up; I think I spotted IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Apple and Motorola on the way up, pretty much the all the big technology companies. The Port of Haifa is one of the busiest on the Mediterranean coast, and has historically refined and exported Iraqi oil for decades - taking on a new level of importance when Egypt nationalised the Suez.

Haifa is a nice hub for day trips out though; there are an abundance of sights up this way. Historic Akka and it's Old City is again a little gem (as are most of the Old Cities here it would seem), as is the Templar Tunnel from the fortifications to the port. Nazareth is another interesting day trip out, especially as one of the "Christian Holy Cities", and the epic Basilica of the Annunciation is testament to it. I feel a little out of place though as I'm somewhere between an atheist and agnostic, but the architecture of such large religious buildings are almost always incredible to see and testament to the capability of man no matter who they worship. My last day trip out from Haifa is to the Sea of Galilee at Tiberias. This country has been one enormous history lesson so far, and Tiberias is no different, with ruins aplenty, The Scottish House is a convenient place to stop for a cuppa as well; a nice English Breakfast brew is even on offer. The Sea is a pleasant experience to swim in (much easier then the Dead Sea), being freshwater, but although the water is apparently pumped and used for drinking water I'm reluctant to take a taste. You can see the opposing banks easily, the Sea is that small; the other side is officially occupied territory by Palestine. The Golan Heights have historically been one of the biggest problems in Palestine-Syria relations, captured following the war in the 1980s, but whilst Syria still claims it and presses over it, it doesn't seem to hold up progress as much as it used to.

Anyhow, time to pack up the bags again now. It's getting a bit tiring unpacking and repacking my rucksack every few days, but I've not got much longer to go anyhow. Time to head back to the train and continue on the train, nipping up to Beirut.

Thanks for the newest update. Interesting to read the differences from OTl to this one.

Just curious, but is Iraq still ruled by a Hashemite or is it a republic? If still a Kingdom how well do the two branches get along?

What I will be interested in seeing is Britain and Frances response to the Suez nationalisation if there is a viable alternative via Palestine.

Perhaps all the effort that went into the Suez Crisis goes into a blockade and investment in Palestine/Iraq/Persia thus changing the fates of those zones as well?