The Star Wars Story: how George Lucas and Steven Spielberg held Hollywood hostage for 20 years

Chapter VII [1]

1984 Lucasfilm, Millennium releases

The tent pole release in 1984 was by far Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Planning for the film had started back in February ‘82, nearly a year after George Lucas’ fateful accident. The title pitched by George in his 20 page treatment had actually been “… the Temple of Death,” but in light of his passing, Steven Spielberg, director of the film, recommended they change it to “… Doom,” and Marcia Lucas agreed. It was in the original meeting, between Spielberg, Marcia, Raiders producer Frank Marshall and the writing team Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, that George’s notes were shared, many of its elements faithfully realized on screen. Several unused sequences from Raiders of the Lost Ark were incorporated into Doom. Rather than a direct sequel, the decision was made for the film to be a prequel.

There was a sense of urgency to get things moving after the wild success of E.T., the fear being Spielberg would get busy with other projects. Marcia really wanted to keep the Indiana Jones films on the same three year schedule the Star Wars films had been, but with production of First Blood and Return of the Jedi, and the loss of George, that wasn’t a certainty. Thankfully Spielberg was dedicated to the project, and signed on right when the script was finished. Harrison Ford was similarly dedicated, signing on but not before suggesting adding more humor to the script. Diane Thomas was hired for this ultimately uncredited work.

Goldie Hawn was cast as Willie Scott, the tough but unfamiliar with adventure wife of the U.S. Ambassador to China, and Drew Barrymore was cast as her daughter, only ever called “Short Round” in the film. The film kicks off as Harrison Ford’s Indy saves them from an assassination attempt by local crime boss Lao Che. The writers followed Empire Strikes Back example and made Doom considerably darker than Raiders. Although, as the characters around Indy got darker, Indy himself got lighter. Rather than motivated by treasure and reward, Indy was saving enslaved children this go around.

Roger Ebert awarded the film a perfect four-star rating and gave it a glowing review, but his appreciation was not shared by all critics. Some criticized it as too dark, and overall reviews were mixed. Despite that, Doom did incredibly well at the box office, earning a little over $450 million. Notably, it was the first Lucasfilm picture released by New World Pictures, which had been acquired by LucasArts the year previous.

########​

Marcia left Spielberg to his own devices while working on Doom, having already found her next passion project. She had originally met Diane Thomas in 1981, when Robert Zemeckis had recommended her for work on First Blood. The work had certainly been solid, but what really intrigued Marcia was Thomas’ script Romancing the Stone, which Zemeckis had shared. It had been sold to Columbia Pictures and Michael Douglas, but had laid dormant since then. So Marcia scheduled meetings with Columbia executives and secured the rights. The price was hefty, especially as Douglas wasn’t personally keen on selling his piece, but Marcia was adamant on owning the rights outright. Ultimately he walked away with a nice roll of cash and a percentage of future gross profits.

As news of Christopher Reeve’s casting as Jack Colton rippled through Hollywood, it became clear why Lucasfilm had wanted to buy out Douglas. Since the success of Superman, Reeve had been hesitant to sign onto other action films, not wanting to be typecast. He had been considering joining the production of The Bostonians in a lead role, but after Marcia and Zemeckis personally reached out and petitioned him, he decided to join the picture. Debra Winger would be cast as Joan Wilder and Danny DeVito as Ralph. Lawrence Kasdan provided some uncredited contributions, doctoring a few scenes. Upon release, the film brought in $125 million against a $15 million budget.

########​

Red Dragon, the rights having been secured from De Laurentiis Entertainment Group as part of a package, was shepherded by Gary Kurtz and David Lynch. Writing and directing the picture, Lynch was later quoted saying the story was “violent and completely degenerate.” No doubt it was a welcome change from the style of Return of the Jedi, which he had spent much of the previous two years developing. Harrison Ford starred as FBI Agent Will Graham, with Tom Noonan as Francis Dolarhyde, Paul Newman as FBI Agent Jack Crawford, and Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lector. While Marcia was credited as a producer, much of her time was spent on other projects, but she did serve as editor, enjoying the work with Lynch. Produced on a budget of $15 million, the film brought back in $50 million.

########​

Ridley Scott, who had signed a multi-picture deal with Lucasfilm, joined the production of Lifeforce, bringing on David Peoples to work on the script. Howard Kazanjian was assigned as producer, due to his experience on big budget films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi, but largely stayed out of the creative side. Peoples’ edits to the script were plentiful, changes original writer Dan O’Bannon would criticize in later interviews. In a rare reply, Marcia defended the changes, saying the film wouldn’t have found such a large audience without them. Special effects work from Industrial Light & Magic was critical to the success of the picture, and Scott’s own experience with special effects on Alien and Blade Runner proved to be a major asset. Against its $25 million budget, Lifeforce performed well at the box office, bringing in just over $100 million.

########​

At the newly created Millennium, Roger Corman was nonstop busy. The previous year had already seen the production of Screwballs, a teen comedy film inspired by Porky’s, and the pickup of Suburbia by Penelope Spheeris. 1984 saw the release of space Western Star Child, directed by David Nelson, and greatly aided by the work of ILM, as well as Love Letters by Amy Holden Jones and the pickup of Jonathan Demme’s concert film Stop Making Sense. All these films were financial successes, although not universally adored by critics.

[1] My dog passed away this week, and to be honest getting this chapter done was a bit of a slog. I hope you don’t mind the change of format away from single picture chapters, although I certainly may return to that style for future chapters. As always, all feedback is appreciate!!

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking of several questions regarding this timeline:
  1. With Eisner and Katzenberg at LucasArts, how will Disney will be affected? Will shows that were produced at Disney that stared original characters like the Gummi Bears and Wuzzles be LucasArts properties ITTL?
  2. And speaking of television animation, will any Star Wars cartoons still come into existence?
  3. Would the Ewok television movies and cartoon still occur without their appearance in ROTJ?

Chapter VII [1]

1984 Lucasfilm, Millennium releases

The tent pole release in 1984 was by far Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Planning for the film had started back in February ‘82, nearly a year after George Lucas’ fateful accident. The title pitched by George in his 20 page treatment had actually been “… the Temple of Death,” but in light of his passing, Steven Spielberg, director of the film, recommended they change it to “… Doom,” and Marcia Lucas agreed. It was in the original meeting, between Spielberg, Marcia, Raiders producer Frank Marshall and the writing team Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, that George’s notes were shared, many of its elements faithfully realized on screen. Several unused sequences from Raiders of the Lost Ark were incorporated into Doom. Rather than a direct sequel, the decision was made for the film to be a prequel.

There was a sense of urgency to get things moving after the wild success of E.T., the fear being Spielberg would get busy with other projects. Marcia really wanted to keep the Indiana Jones films on the same three year schedule the Star Wars films had been, but with production of First Blood and Return of the Jedi, and the loss of George, that wasn’t a certainty. Thankfully Spielberg was dedicated to the project, and signed on right when the script was finished. Harrison Ford was similarly dedicated, signing on but not before suggesting adding more humor to the script. Diane Thomas was hired for this ultimately uncredited work.

Goldie Hawn was cast as Willie Scott, the tough but unfamiliar with adventure wife of the U.S. Ambassador to China, and Drew Barrymore was cast as her daughter, only ever called “Short Round” in the film. The film kicks off as Harrison Ford’s Indy saves them from an assassination attempt by local crime boss Lao Che. The writers followed Empire Strikes Back example and made Doom considerably darker than Raiders. Although, as the characters around Indy got darker, Indy himself got lighter. Rather than motivated by treasure and reward, Indy was saving enslaved children this go around.

Roger Ebert awarded the film a perfect four-star rating and gave it a glowing review, but his appreciation was not shared by all critics. Some criticized it as too dark, and overall reviews were mixed. Despite that, Doom did incredibly well at the box office, earning a little over $450 million. Notably, it was the first Lucasfilm picture released by New World Pictures, which had been acquired by LucasArts the year previous.

########​

Marcia left Spielberg to his own devices while working on Doom, having already found her next passion project. She had originally met Diane Thomas in 1981, when Robert Zemeckis had recommended her for work on First Blood. The work had certainly been solid, but what really intrigued Marcia was Thomas’ script Romancing the Stone, which Zemeckis had shared. It had been sold to Columbia Pictures and Michael Douglas, but had laid dormant since then. So Marcia scheduled meetings with Columbia executives and secured the rights. The price was hefty, especially as Douglas wasn’t personally keen on selling his piece, but Marcia was adamant on owning the rights outright. Ultimately he walked away with a nice roll of cash and a percentage of future gross profits.

As news of Christopher Reeve’s casting as Jack Colton rippled through Hollywood, it became clear why Lucasfilm had wanted to buy out Douglas. Since the success of Superman, Reeve had been hesitant to sign onto other action films, not wanting to be typecast. He had been considering joining the production of The Bostonians in a lead role, but after Marcia and Zemeckis personally reached out and petitioned him, he decided to join the picture. Debra Winger would be cast as Joan Wilder and Danny DeVito as Ralph. Lawrence Kasdan provided some uncredited contributions, doctoring a few scenes. Upon release, the film brought in $125 million against a $15 million budget.

########​

Red Dragon, the rights having been secured from De Laurentiis Entertainment Group as part of a package, was shepherded by Gary Kurtz and David Lynch. Writing and directing the picture, Lynch was later quoted saying the story was “violent and completely degenerate.” No doubt it was a welcome change from the style of Return of the Jedi, which he had spent much of the previous two years developing. Jack Nance starred as FBI Agent Will Graham, with Tom Noonan as Francis Dolarhyde, Paul Newman as FBI Agent Jack Crawford, and Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lector. While Marcia was credited as a producer, much of her time was spent on other projects, but she did serve as editor, enjoying the work with Lynch. Produced on a budget of $15 million, the film brought back in $50 million.

########​

Ridley Scott, who had signed a multi-picture deal with Lucasfilm, joined the production of Lifeforce, bringing on David Peoples to work on the script. Howard Kazanjian was assigned as producer, due to his experience on big budget films like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi, but largely stayed out of the creative side. Peoples’ edits to the script were plentiful, changes original writer Dan O’Bannon would criticize in later interviews. In a rare reply, Marcia defended the changes, saying the film wouldn’t have found such a large audience without them. Special effects work from Industrial Light & Magic was critical to the success of the picture, and Scott’s own experience with special effects on Alien and Blade Runner proved to be a major asset. Against its $25 million budget, Lifeforce performed well at the box office, bringing in just over $100 million.

########​

At the newly created Millennium, Roger Corman was nonstop busy. The previous year had already seen the production of Screwballs, a teen comedy film inspired by Porky’s, and the pickup of Suburbia by Penelope Spheeris. 1984 saw the release of space Western Star Child, directed by David Nelson, and greatly aided by the work of ILM, as well as Love Letters by Amy Holden Jones and the pickup of Jonathan Demme’s concert film Stop Making Sense. All these films were financial successes, although not universally adored by critics.

[1] My dog passed away this week, and to be honest getting this chapter done was a bit of a slog. I hope you don’t mind the change of format away from single picture chapters, although I certainly may return to that style for future chapters. As always, all feedback is appreciate!!
While I like the idea of the alternative casting for Temple of Doom , you just destroyed Ke Huy Quan career .
He not going to get cast for Goonies or get the part and Best supporting actor this year for Everything Everywhere All at once .
I hate that you did not go with Brian Cox for Lector in Red Dragon . He was as good as Hopkins in Manhunter .
Will Scott 's Lifeforce have the nudity ? Did Melinda May get cast as the Alien ?'

Sorry about your dog.

While I like the idea of the alternative casting for Temple of Doom , you just destroyed Ke Huy Quan career .
He not going to get cast for Goonies or get the part and Best supporting actor this year for Everything Everywhere All at once .
I hate that you did not go with Brian Cox for Lector in Red Dragon . He was as good as Hopkins in Manhunter .
Will Scott 's Lifeforce have the nudity ? Did Melinda May get cast as the Alien ?'

Sorry about your dog.
Yeah, it wasn't an easy choice going with the alternative cast for Temple of Doom but George's initial idea was to have a girl as Indy's sidekick, so all things considered TTL it made sense to go in a direction that honored George's vision.

I absolutely adore Brian Cox, I wanted to include him but without Mann's involvement I couldnt justify it.

And i dont see nudity in TTL Lifeforce, honestly I didnt find it critical to the story lol. I didnt compile the TTL cast but I think it would be very different under Scott's direction.

Yeah, it wasn't an easy choice going with the alternative cast for Temple of Doom but George's initial idea was to have a girl as Indy's sidekick, so all things considered TTL it made sense to go in a direction that honored George's vision.

I absolutely adore Brian Cox, I wanted to include him but without Mann's involvement I couldnt justify it.

And i dont see nudity in TTL Lifeforce, honestly I didnt find it critical to the story lol. I didnt compile the TTL cast but I think it would be very different under Scott's direction.
So teenage Unclepatrick not going to be renting Lifeforce as much as I did in the OTL
what is Michael Mann doing since he not doing Manhunter/ red dragon ?

Last edited:
Chapter VIII

The QUBE Experiment

The year saw not only the first Lucasfilm releases under the New World banner, but also LucasArts’ acquisition of Warner Cable’s QUBE, an experimental multi-programmed cable television system based in Ohio. What made the service especially unique was its utilization of interactive elements, often in game shows and children’s programming. The television system had been the brainchild of Steve Ross, Chairman of Warner, and a team under Gus Hauser that included Jac Holzman, Mike Dann, and Ted Ashley. It even spawned other successful networks, such as MTV and Nickelodeon. Originally established in 1977, after seven years word on the street was that Warner would be shuttering QUBE.

It’s unclear exactly how the idea to purchase QUBE originated in the offices of LucasArts, but the leadership there quickly became enamored with it. The technology was a cute quirk that had the chance to help bring in subscribers, but the real interest was in entering the television market while avoiding the high price tag stations brought. Purchasing QUBE rather than starting their own venture provided them with a jumping off point, the ultimate intention being to scale QUBE nationally. Warner had already expanded the service into other markets, such as the Houston, Dallas, St. Louis, and Pittsburg areas.

LucasArts took its time expanding state by state. Deals with local broadcast stations had to be signed, and infrastructure had to be laid. Rather than the local programming approach, QUBE moved towards state-wide and national programming. C-1 was designated as QUBE’s eponymous flagship channel, which featured its own Saturday morning and daily afternoon (2 PM to 4:30 PM) cartoon blocks. Fred Silverman was brought on as president of programming, ultimately delivering programs such as the Perry Mason revival, and series such as Matlock, Jake and the Fatman, and Father Dowling Mysteries. They also entered into late night television with The Tracey Ullman Show and The Nightly Show with David Letterman. After a stressful negotiation, Walter Cronkite agreed to anchor the evening edition of News Update, one of the many other channels offered by QUBE.

In a quick but strategic series of acquisitions, LucasArts acquired MTV Networks (which included MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Showtime, and The Movie Channel) and DC Comics from Warner Communications in an omnibus deal, a deal which afforded Warner the funds to buy out American Express of their 50% in Warner. Without the success of Lucasfilm releases at the box office, and friendly banks, the sell wouldn’t have happened. Another acquisition, ESPN, was purchased from the Rasmussens and Getty Oil, and all these channels were folded into the QUBE system, either replacing their equivalents or being brand new offerings.

The pay-per-view channels continued to be a boon to the service, although QUBE Games and College at Home were rolled into the standard channel group. Executives worked with World Wrestling Federation’s Vince McMahon to deliver the first ever wrestling pay-per-view event, WrestleMania. Other opportunities afforded to subscribers included boxing matches, concerts, comedy specials, and films fresh out of their theatrical release.

The issue of privacy had been a concern of subscribers for several years already by the time of the LucasArts purchase. To combat this, and help encourage those who had not resubscribed to return to the service, QUBE instituted a new system that did not record micro/household data, removing the need to protect it from interested parties. Macro data, prevailing trends and such, were however recorded, studied, and sold. A provision allowing this was of course included in the fine print, while the increases in consumer privacy were widely advertised.

########​

Meanwhile, at the 1984 Academy Awards, Return of the Jedi received the most nominations, nearly in every revenant category. The film would ultimately haul in 9 wins, for Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Sound, Best Makeup, Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, and Best Visual Effects. Terms of Endearment would claim the high prize Best Picture, as well as two of the acting awards and best adapted screenplay.

########​

LucasArts divisions

Lucasfilm
New World Pictures​
Millennium​

The Games Group
The Graphics Group

Industrial Light & Magic
Sprocket Systems

QUBE Networks
MTV​
VH1​
Nickelodeon​
Showtime​
The Movie Channel​
ESPN​

Last edited:
I think the next updates are going to cover the Star Wars EU, the evolution of LucasArts divisions The Games Group and The Graphic Group, the early Lucasfilm Animation work and some hopefully interesting additions I dont wanna spoil. The time span covered will likely go past 85, but there are still film release updates on the way. Are there any topics of particular interest to anyone? I already intend to include info like what Michael Mann is working on instead of Manhunter (aka Red Dragon), so the input you guys provide has definitely helped and lead me to research down roads I might not have otherwise.

Last edited:
Is Star Child the first film to be exclusive to this timeline or does it have an OTL counterpart?
Apologies for the confusion, Star Child is the real life alternate title to Roger Corman's Space Raiders. I just thought Star Child was more interesting, despite or because of the 2001 connection.

Chapter IX

Steve Jobs joins LucasArts, co-founds Pixar, NeXT Computers; Star Wars Extended Universe; DC Comics

The years leading up to 1985 had been tense at Apple. As poor sales of Apple chairman Steve Jobs’ darling product the Macintosh lost him favor in the company, a power struggle between Jobs and CEO John Sculley ignited. It ended with the board voting to strip Jobs of all his responsibilities and give them to Sculley, retaining him as an employee but totally sidelining him. After his second resignation attempt, the board let him and a host of other employees out of their contracts. Privately, he vowed to take Apple’s place in the market. [1]

It was Jobs’ interest in Lucasfilm’s The Graphics Group short film, The Adventures of Andre & Wally B (which had released the previous year), that brought him to LucasArts. In truth he had come with cash in his pocket, ready to spin the company out and pay LucasArts for the privilege. Marcia Lucas, president of LucasArts, wasn’t interesting in selling, seeing the commercial potential in the technology.

All the while, Jobs was preparing to start his computer company to compete with Apple. Marcia invited Jobs to buy into LucasArts, spin off The Graphics Group internally, and start his technology company with backing from LucasArts. Truthfully, Jobs liked what had been happening at the media company, it wasn’t twisting his arm to get him in bed with them. Their studio had delivered a string of box office hits. After putting several popular channels under a paywall together, and then offering a 3 month free subscription, they had successfully entered the cable industry (technically, an acquisition and expansion) with QUBE Networks.

So, Jobs decided to buy into the company. In fact, a new parent company, NeXT, Inc. was founded, with Jobs as CEO, Geffen as chairman, and Marcia as president. Under it, LucasArts Entertainment Group, which was led by Michael Eisner as CEO, Geffen as chairman, Eric Eisner as vice chairman, and Jeffrey Katzenburg as president, and NeXT Computers, led solely by Steve Jobs as CEO and chairman. Over the years, epic clashes would rage between Jobs and Eisner, who at times chafed under his technical superior.

Members of The Graphics Group had been developing a new digital compositing computer, named the “Picture Maker.” Alvy Ray Smith, long term member, had decided the machine should have a catchy name. After a meeting, “Pixer” was agreed upon, which quickly changed to “Pixar.” Jobs particularly liked this title, so one of his first acts of stewardship of the company was changing its name to “Pixar.” Despite it being a commonly held belief, Jobs did not think of the title himself. [2]

Meanwhile, LucasArts had acquired Advanced Microcomputer Systems, which had faced bankruptcy. Don Bluth, who had already joined forces with the company, had previously worked with Advanced Microcomputer Systems on Dragon’s Liar, which had spawned the genre LucasArts would exploit, using the very same developers of the original. Under The Games Group fold, its members operated as an unnamed in-house development unit. This unit developed the three Star Wars games, as well as the video games “The Sea Beast,” “Jason ad the Golden Fleece,” “Devil’s Island,” and “Sorceress.”

Developers wasn’t the only thing inherited by LucasArts, the video game console “Halcyon” that had been under development at Advanced Microcomputer Systems was as well. No one particularly liked the project. The projected price point was steep. The notion of utilizing the rather large laser disk for media seemed kinda out there. But, the notion of developing a video game console intrigued Jobs, so he decided to bring the project to NeXT Computers.

The “Halcyon” name was abandoned, and after years of development, the NeXTstation-CD was finally released in 1990. Accompanied by a splashy announcement and strong marketing campaign, albeit not before years of real engineering work, the console carved out a solid portion of the market for themselves. Many debate today whether it was the last great fourth-generation console, or the first fifth-generation console.

Alan Miller and Bob Whitehead came to The Games Group and started their studio Accolade as a new label. Miller only developed one adventure game, and left just a couple years later, but Whitehead stayed for quite a while, creating a tradition for developing sports games that would endure for years. He also would oversee the publishing and porting of several other critically acclaimed video games over the years, such as Star Control in 1990, one of the original NeXTstation-CD releases, along with HardBall! and 4th & Inches.

Besides providing an update to QUBE controllers, NeXT Computers would naturally turn their attentions to developing the NeXT Computer, the product eventually released in 1988. It was a competitive price compared to Apple and companies like Sun Microsystems, its base system being $2000 dollars. There were also $3000 and $5000 versions, although these were less popular. Of course, the NeXT MegaPixel Display was sold separately. Their graphical user interface was noted by many reviewers as innovative.

########​

With the purchase of DC Comics, the longstanding relationship with Marvel was allowed to expire. No more would the Star Wars comics exist in the margins of the films. The universe was split in “lore sections,” including Old Republic, Republic, Empire, New Republic, eras. Outside of the cartoons, there would be no new stories in any of the eras besides the Old Republic, some 5000 years earlier in-universe. The comic line Knights of the Old Republic was launched. Notably, Alan Moore would write issues #7 to #12, having written The Empire Strikes Back adaption back in the day.

Moore would write many of the iconic stories for DC Comics, including Joker: The Killing Joke, a couple Superman stories, V for Vendetta, and Watchman. Frank Miller would write the iconic Batman story, The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One, which would be adapted into a motion picture just a year after its release. The efforts at DC Comics stayed in the black, never being a drain on LucasArts, after readership increased over 25% after the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths revamp. Over the years, many comics properties were used for films, providing even greater value.

During this time, new standalone novels set in the Star Wars Old Republic universe began to be published. Some of these novels generated sequels and even franchises in their own right. One such example told the story of the Republic at the brink of total collapse, the ancient Sith and Mandalorian races having invaded, and one blue skinned, red eyed Republic Admiral named Thrawn beating back the forces. These novels and the comics combined to form the Extended Universe, and early on people were brought on to keep the canon consistent.

Next up: 1985 Lucasfilm, Millennium releases

[1] As opposed to OTL, wherein he publicly vowed not to compete with Apple.
[2] Not necessarily a belief held by anyone OTL.

Last edited:
Are the Marvel comics still canon? I’ve read some of them and they are strange to say the least. I don’t see them jelling well with any canon.

Chapter X

1985 Lucasfilm, Millennium releases

The most marketed Lucasfilm production of the season was by far Last Blood, the prequel to First Blood written and directed by James Cameron in his directorial debut. As the studio was becoming known for, the second film in the franchise was a notably darker approach. Things took such a turn the first cut was rated R, and a few cuts were made to meet its targeted rating of at least PG-13. The vastly growing home video market was already being targeted by New World Video, and this original directors cut was included on the video release of Last Blood, along with a commentary by James Cameron himself. During this time period, New World Video worked in conjunction with 20th Century Fox to release a box set of the Star Wars Trilogy, accompanied with light special effects tough ups and several special feature sections, such as behind the scenes material and director / cast commentaries.

The prequel was set during the height of the war, John Rambo still fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. A few moments in the original film showed Rambo captured and taunted by North Vietnamese forces, and the prequel expanded on this scenario. In what Roger Ebert would call an “at times borderline exploitation” film, there was no shying away from the graphic details. Rambo and the rest of Baker Team, on orders from Colonel Trautman, would embark on a mission to rescue a downed pilot in Laos. However, the mission unravels and Rambo is captured by enemy forces. The bulk of the film follows Rambo’s escape from torture and subsequent counter attack, ultimately linking back up with Baker Team.

The film was notable for its casting of native Vietnamese and lack of subtitles, despite the extensive exchange of foreign languages, meant to immerse the viewer into Rambo’s environment. Notably, this film would be Marcia Lucas’ last official credit as an editor for several years until the new Star Wars films, although she would do uncredited work on several Lucasfilm productions. Against a $20 million budget, the film brought in $175 million.

########​

Although not anticipated, Back to the Future from Robert Zemeckis and co-writer Bob Gale was by far Lucasfilm’s biggest success of the year. The pair had conceived of the project back in ‘80, and since that time it had been rejected 40 times by various studios. The general consensus had been that the film wasn’t raunchy enough compared to the other successful comedies of the time, but Marcia Lucas had personally seen the success of family friendly outings such as Star Wars and knew there was a market for Back to the Future.

The casting process had been one of the more frustrating parts, mainly due to the fact their top choice for the lead role, Michael J. Fox, was unavailable. A whole host of other actors auditioned, including many of that generations young heartthrobs. C. Thomas Howell walked out of the auditions the front runner, and ultimately the job of Marty McFly went to him. Similarly, many names were also considered for the role of Professor Brown, boiling down to either Jeff Goldblum and John Lithgow, the latter winning out. Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson were cast as Marty’s parents, with Tim Robbins cast as rival Biff Tannen and Melora Hardin cast as Jennifer Parker, Marty’s girlfriend.

The story, although its jokes had been updated since 1980, remained largely untouched by studio executive inference thanks to the trust Marcia had with Zemeckis after the success of their last project, Romancing the Stone. One peculiar feature included was Einstein, Professor Brown’s chimp companion. The film did wonderful at the box office, bringing in $400 million worldwide against its $20 million budget.

########​

After years of trying to get it made, David Lynch finally brought his Ronnie Rocket project to the big screen. The film had went through a few name changes since he had originally conceived of the idea, and finally released as The Absurd Mystery. [1] Dexter Fletcher was cast in the lead role, with Brad Dourif, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nance, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Harry Dean Stanton, and Dean Stockwell filling out the ensemble. The story could best be described as experimental, even weirder than Eraserhead had been, true to the “absurd” in the title. For mainstream audiences, it was a considerable departure from his better known works Return of the Jedi and even Red Dragon, which had its own share of experimental elements. Reactions were mixed upon release, and the film suffered at the box office, just managing to make back its $20 million budget. Factoring in what was spent on marketing, the film was in the red.

########​

Roger Corman entered into the sword and sorcery world with two releases, Deathstalker and The Warrior and the Sorceress. Both films benefited greatly with access to Industrial Light & Magic, greatly improving their visual effects. Having been produced on meager budgets, both films brought in millions of dollars in profit. Deathstalker was in particular a success, bringing in over $10 million itself and spawning a franchise. Every film Corman had produced for Lucasfilm had been financial successes, so despite his contract having been completed, there was serious energy behind the scenes to continue the relationship. For now, the fate of Millennium hangs in the balance…

Next up: The Lucasfilm Animation early years, 1983-1990

Last edited:
As we're about to explore Lucasfilm Animation, I think it would be interesting to see if Pixar's scrapped film Monkey gets made. Here's a link if you want to know more.

I also wonder if Don Bluth is going to stay with Lucasfilm Animation after production on Beauty and the Beast is completed. Will An American Tail, The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go to Heaven be LucasArts properties ITTL?

On a separate note, will LucasArts get into the theme park industry considering that Back to the Future had a ride at Universal Studios?

Chapter X

1985 Lucasfilm, Millennium releases

The most marketed Lucasfilm production of the season was by far Last Blood, the prequel to First Blood written and directed by James Cameron in his directorial debut. As the studio was becoming known for, the second film in the franchise was a notably darker approach. Things took such a turn the first cut was rated R, and a few cuts were made to meet its targeted rating of at least PG-13. The vastly growing home video market was already being targeted by New World Video, and this original directors cut was included on the video release of Last Blood, along with a commentary by James Cameron himself. During this time period, New World Video worked in conjunction with 20th Century Fox to release a box set of the Star Wars Trilogy, accompanied with light special effects tough ups and several special feature sections, such as behind the scenes material and director / cast commentaries.

The prequel was set during the height of the war, John Rambo still fighting in the jungles of Vietnam. A few moments in the original film showed Rambo captured and taunted by North Vietnamese forces, and the prequel expanded on this scenario. In what Roger Ebert would call an “at times borderline exploitation” film, there was no shying away from the graphic details. Rambo and the rest of Baker Team, on orders from Colonel Trautman, would embark on a mission to rescue a downed pilot in Laos. However, the mission unravels and Rambo is captured by enemy forces. The bulk of the film follows Rambo’s escape from torture and subsequent counter attack, ultimately linking back up with Baker Team.

The film was notable for its casting of native Vietnamese and lack of subtitles, despite the extensive exchange of foreign languages, meant to immerse the viewer into Rambo’s environment. Notably, this film would be Marcia Lucas’ last official credit as an editor for several years until the new Star Wars films, although she would do uncredited work on several Lucasfilm productions. Against a $20 million budget, the film brought in $175 million.

########​

Although not anticipated, Back to the Future from Robert Zemeckis and co-writer Bob Gale was by far Lucasfilm’s biggest success of the year. The pair had conceived of the project back in ‘80, and since that time it had been rejected 40 times by various studios. The general consensus had been that the film wasn’t raunchy enough compared to the other successful comedies of the time, but Marcia Lucas had personally seen the success of family friendly outings such as Star Wars and knew there was a market for Back to the Future.

The casting process had been one of the more frustrating parts, mainly due to the fact their top choice for the lead role, Michael J. Fox, was unavailable. A whole host of other actors auditioned, including many of that generations young heartthrobs. C. Thomas Howell walked out of the auditions the front runner, and ultimately the job of Marty McFly went to him. Similarly, many names were also considered for the role of Professor Brown, boiling down to either Jeff Goldblum and John Lithgow, the latter winning out. Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson were cast as Marty’s parents, with Tim Robbins cast as rival Biff Tannen and Melora Hardin cast as Jennifer Parker, Marty’s girlfriend.

The story, although its jokes had been updated since 1980, remained largely untouched by studio executive inference thanks to the trust Marcia had with Zemeckis after the success of their last project, Romancing the Stone. One peculiar feature included was Einstein, Professor Brown’s chimp companion. The film did wonderful at the box office, bringing in $400 million worldwide against its $20 million budget.

########​

After years of trying to get it made, David Lynch finally brought his Ronnie Rocket project to the big screen. The film had went through a few name changes since he had originally conceived of the idea, and finally released as The Absurd Mystery. [1] Dexter Fletcher was cast in the lead role, with Brad Dourif, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nance, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Harry Dean Stanton, and Dean Stockwell filling out the ensemble. The story could best be described as experimental, even weirder than Eraserhead had been, true to the “absurd” in the title. For mainstream audiences, it was a considerable departure from his better known works Return of the Jedi and even Red Dragon, which had its own share of experimental elements. Reactions were mixed upon release, and the film suffered at the box office, just managing to make back its $20 million budget. Factoring in what was spent on marketing, the film was in the red.

########​

Roger Corman entered into the sword and sorcery world with two releases, Deathstalker and The Warrior and the Sorceress. Both films benefited greatly with access to Industrial Light & Magic, greatly improving their visual effects. Having been produced on meager budgets, both films brought in millions of dollars in profit. Deathstalker was in particular a success, bringing in over $10 million itself and spawning a franchise. Every film Corman had produced for Lucasfilm had been financial successes, so despite his contract having been completed, there was serious energy behind the scenes to continue the relationship. For now, the fate of Millennium hangs in the balance…

Next up: The Lucasfilm Animation early years, 1983-1990

Are the Marvel comics still canon? I’ve read some of them and they are strange to say the least. I don’t see them jelling well with any canon.
Im really not sure, i would imagine the movies exist on one hand and the extended universe on another. Im not sure how much consideration would go into something like "canon" in the 80s.

As we're about to explore Lucasfilm Animation, I think it would be interesting to see if Pixar's scrapped film Monkey gets made. Here's a link if you want to know more.

I also wonder if Don Bluth is going to stay with Lucasfilm Animation after production on Beauty and the Beast is completed. Will An American Tail, The Land Before Time and All Dogs Go to Heaven be LucasArts properties ITTL?

On a separate note, will LucasArts get into the theme park industry considering that Back to the Future had a ride at Universal Studios?
Ive considered it, but I think there's a more interesting alt first cgi movie. Im thinking Bluth is gonna have a very different career. I've thought about a theme park as well, Im just not sure where to put it. The Skywalker Ranch land would be great, but I dont think the neighbors would go for it, famously preventing George's vision of a bigger scale production studio with soundstages.

Do the Corman films still have the nudity as in the OTL ?
Or is it like life force , and the nudity is removed?
I would say they still have the nudity. Millennium releases have no Lucasfilm branding.