The Perfumed King — An Alternate History of the Reign of Philippe VII of France

Chapter 1. Death of a Giant
So, this is an idea which I've had in my head the last few weeks. I've tried my best to hammer out the first chapter, as sort of a late Christmas / New Years gift. I'm unsure if I will be able to update this as frequently as I have been Anno, but it is something I've wanted to get written out. It uses a very similar POD to Anno, in that we have a king die in the flush of his youth, but the outcome is completely different. This is a more narratively driven TL, using fictional characters placed into the world alongside historical counterparts. These fictional people, as they get introduced, will drive the narrative forward. Compared to Anno, this is likely to be more limited to France and perhaps the surrounding countries, while being more focused on the intrigues in France, including cultural and artistic endeavors.

The Perfumed King
An Alternate History of the 17th Century

“A dwarf in the world of a giant,
the Duke of Orléans was taught
from a young age that his cloud
should never obscure that of the
sun: his older brother, the king.”
— Anonymous.

Chapter 1. Death of a Giant
July, 1661…
Kingdom of France…
Somewhere near the Château of Saint-Germain-en-Laye…

Musical Accompaniment: Miserere Mei, Deus

500px-Jean-Baptiste_Oudry_-_Chasse_au_loup_en_for%C3%AAt_%281748%29.jpg

Wolf Hunt in the Forêt of Saint-Germain, c. 18th Century.

The day was meant to be spent in leisure. King Louis XIV had made his will clear—he had desired to hunt, and that was what most of the members of the court had set their minds to. After all, Louis XIV as King of France was their sovereign—and since the death of Cardinal Mazarin several months past was beginning to make his position clear. Louis XIV was no Louis XIII, nor was he Henri IV—he did not need for a head minister to see to his estate and troubles: those were things which the king could tend to himself. With the court summering at the Château of Saint-Germain-en-Laye, the king had made clear his interest in staking the forests near Saint-Germain—and had made his interest even more clear in stalking out a boar who had been plaguing these woods the last few months. All thought it an easy enough catch—was not their king strong and virile, the greatest king they had ever seen? If anyone could take upon such a boar, it would be him. A beautiful, handsome, young king—all admired him when he was astride his horse. Who else could seek out such fortunes except for him? Yet when the accident occurred, none could provide a concrete answer; sycophantic sobs, screams, and yelps—yet none of the hangers-on could truly identify the cause. A glorious day in the woods had ended in carnage and tragedy—their handsome king was gored by an angry boar that the king had attempted to take on himself.

“Make way! Make way for the king!” The guards cried out, pushing through the crowds as Louis XIV was planted upon a makeshift stretcher to carry him back to the Château. The king had always been handsome—and even now, he still retained some semblance of his beauty—even as viscera poured forth from his stomach where the boar had struck him.

The guards wasted no time in carrying their sovereign out of the woods. White silken kerchiefs were lodged against the king’s wound, it did little good—within seconds, they were soaked a dark crimson. Louis XIV was practically in agony, his pallor almost vampiric as one of the ladies of the court attempted to offer solace by dabbing at the king’s forehead, slick with sweat. “Do not touch the king until he has been examined!” One of the guards barked rudely—it was terrible enough that the king had suffered such an injury; did anyone wish to be responsible for some assassin choosing to poison the king through some dainty kerchief?

500px-AnnaofAustria13.jpg

Anne of Austria, Queen Dowager of France in her widowhood.

Madame de Motteville hurried as fast as her slippers could carry her throughout the Château, intent on reaching the apartments of Queen Dowager, Anne d’Autriche before anyone else. She had received word of the king’s injury in the forest from a young squire who had hurried back to the Château; she alone needed to give word to the queen—the Spanish Infanta who was beautiful as she was resolute. No, there was no one else who was fit to provide such information to the king’s mother. Such an honor should belong to her closest friend and confidant. Squat and huffing, Motteville pressed through the gilded doors leading into Anne d’Autriche’s chambre with aplomb. The Queen Mother sat sedate at her prie-dieu, deep in prayer as she heard the doors into her rooms press open. She shot a glowering look towards the intruder—her expression immediately softening when she realized that her visitor was her darling Madame de Motteville—huffing and puffing as she attempted to catch my breath.

“My dearest Motteville…” Anne could not help but begin, completely perplexed. “What is the meaning of this?”

“—Majesté, I apologize,” Madame de Motteville replied with a heavy gasp—air seeping into her lungs with each word. “I have received terrible word from the Forêt of Saint-Germain… His Majesty has been injured amid the hunt!”

Anne d’Autriche gasped heavily—with the queen dowager already feeling the color drain from her cheeks. A pit developed in her stomach, a sickening churning as she forced herself to her feet. Was this true? Her dearest Louis, her Dieudonné—the light of her life and the sun of her world and that of France. All she had ever desired was a son, and he had been brought to her after nearly twenty years of childless marriage. Now, what sort of fate could await him?

When Anne finally spoke, her voice quivered, yet maintained a firmness. “I must know everything, Motteville. Do not spare any detail.”

“Majesté, I am not sure if I…” Motteville trailed off for a moment—swallowing roughly as the dowager’s hardened eyes were trained upon her. If the queen demanded answers, then the answers must be provided. “I only know scant details brought back by a squire… His Majesty and his retinue were deep in the woods of the Forêt of Saint-Germain, and they came across an exceptionally large boar. The honor belonged to the king, and though his shot was well-timed, it missed… this only angered the beast, and it charged at the king. They are bringing him back as we speak.”

Anne nodded sagely as she took in the information, before springing into action. “We must alert Monsieur Vallot and Monsieur Felix and order the servants to clear out the king’s chambre. I must go to Philippe—he will need to be told.”

Motteville nodded—taking in each word that Anne spoke. “And the queen, madame?”

“The queen is enceinte. She must not know, not yet—it would prove too much of a shock. I wish you to go to her now. Seek out Doña Molina; she is dear to the queen and is quiet and discreet. She will keep the queen occupied until we know what we are dealing with. Then—and only then—will I inform her. I will handle the heavy task, as it is only right for her to hear it from me. Go now, Motteville… I must see to the Duc d’Orléans.”

450px-Jean_Nocret_-_Philippe_I%2C_Duke_of_Orl%C3%A9ans_-_Villa_del_Poggio_Imperiale.jpg

Philippe, Duc d'Orléans, by Jean Nocret.

Chief among the Duc d’Orléans friends and mignons was François Hippolyte de l’Étrange, known as the Chevalier de l’Étrange. Second son of the Comte de Vézac, François was a childhood friend and companion of the Duc d’Orléans—who had long participated in his escapades. François was twenty-one and in the first flush of his youth; handsome, he was known about the court as le beau l’Étrange—with dark blonde hair and piercing green eyes, known for mustache which he kept in immaculate shape and his fashion sense. While the king frolicked with his retainers in the woods, Philippe d’Orléans frolicked instead within his private chambers with the friends and associates of his set—chief among them Philippe, the Chevalier de Lorraine, who was the Duc d’Orléans’ lover. The Duc d’Orléans lay sprawled out on a sofa—his gaze settled between the Chevalier de Lorraine and his wife, Henriette—the Duchesse d’Orléans and sister to Charles II of England.

“I saw the Duc de Ventadour this morning in passing,” Philippe d’Orléans chirped to his fawning friends. “… hideous man—perhaps the ugliest man in the whole of the court.”

The Chevalier de Lorraine couldn’t help but pile on. “They say that he is deformed—you know, down there,” He let out a harsh laugh—joined in by the Comte de Guiche and the Duchesse d’Orléans.

“And how would you know that?” François asked the Chevalier with a raised eyebrow—goading him with a broad smirk. “Has Ventadour been one of your numerous conquests?”

“Ah, my darling—I do not kiss and tell,” Lorraine parried François’ comment with a well-timed riposte of his own. “Besides—he is more to your liking than mine!”

Like Philippe and the Chevalier de Lorraine, François was a practitioner of what was then called le vice italien—homosexuality. François had little taste in women—though he adored the Duchesse d’Orléans and appreciated any women who had wit and flair to match his own. François let out a sarcastic laugh at the Chevalier’s comment—jabbing back in time. “I do not sleep with men as ugly as him—even 100,000 livres could not convince me to do so!”

As the little group chittered and giggled amongst themselves, the queen dowager practically stormed into the gilded chambre—her cheeks reddened from exertion as she approached. Hurriedly the assembled mignons rose to their feet, offering their obeisance to the king’s mother. She gave a sweep of her, with all the grace expected out of a woman who had been born a Spanish Infanta, daughter of Felipe III.

Anne d’Autriche wasted no time speaking. “Philippe, my darling little girl[1]. I must speak with you, as well as Henriette. Privately.” Her tone indicated that this was not a mere trifling or joke; she had come urgently—and for whatever reason, she now needed the Duc d’Orléans.

“Of course, maman,” Philippe answered without missing a beat. With a flittering wave of his hand, he dismissed his sycophants—who fled as quickly as they had arrived at his express command. When the chamber was empty, the queen dowager took the precaution of bolting the door tightly. “Maman?” The Duke of Orléans asked, concerned with his mother’s behavior. “Please—you must tell me what is going on.”

“His Majesté, your brother…” Anne trailed off for a moment—as if she was searching for the right words. “He has sustained an injury while out hunting this morning. He was attacked by a boar.”

Philippe’s face drained of pallor as he tried to imagine his brother being stuck down by a boar—the King of France being razed by some animal in the forest. He could hardly imagine it! His brother, king of one of the greatest kingdoms in all of Europe—no, of the world? Philippe might’ve laughed at the absurdity—indeed, he felt a small smirk growing upon his painted lips, but tempered himself, noticing the stern expression upon his mother’s face. This was no cruel joke—and he knew that his maman would never joke about something so important as her eldest and favorite son. Rather than joke and jape, the Duc d’Orléans looked to his mother for guidance.

“Tell us what must be done, Maman—and we shall do it,” Philippe answered. Henriette stood beside him as he spoke—lithe and beautiful, dabbing her eyes slightly as too took in the news that her mother-in-law was giving her. Philippe could not help but notice his mother’s face—her lips remained firmly in place, but he saw, or perhaps he hoped that he saw the brief glimmer of a smile. Louis would always be her favorite, and Philippe knew he could not compare on that front—but he would always be the most dutiful of his mother’s sons.

500px-Adam_Fran%C3%A7ois_van_der_Meulen_-_Le_Ch%C3%A2teau_Neuf_de_Saint-Germain-en-Laye_et_les_jardins%2C_vus_de_la_rive_droite_de_la_Seine_-_P1522_-_Mus%C3%A9e_Carnavalet.jpg

The Château Neuf de Saint-Germain, c. 1664.

The king’s chamber had been emptied as hurriedly as possible by the valets and charges, with a makeshift suite being haphazardly assembled in one of the adjacent salons. As the guards carried in the king, tumult ensued as the courtiers surrounded the king’s cortege—forcing the guards to exert themselves further. “Make way for the king!” The shouts of the guards rose like fury as they reached the safety of the king’s suite—the king was carried upon the stretcher as he was moved to the suite. Louis XIV was a sight to behold—his handsome visage remained, despite the ghastly complexion of his face the dried sweat, the wound upon his stomach a mess of blood—dark red matter splattered upon the white kerchiefs that had been offered up as a sacrifice by the ladies who had attended the hunt. The king’s suite was already quite full—aside from the queen dowager and the Duc and Duchesse d’Orléans, the king’s physician—Monsieur Vallot—and his surgeon—Monsieur Felix were present.

“Madame,” Monsieur Felix was the first to speak—directing his words towards the king’s mother. “We do not have much time to waste. I am afraid this wound is deep, and it must be dealt with first.”

Monsieur Vallot wasted little time in speaking up—viewing it as an affront to his dignity that the king’s surgeon should offer his advice before his physician[2]. “Madame—it is simply barbaric that Monsieur Felix would suggest that we immediately bring out the butcher cleave to deal with this issue. His Majesté has already gravely wounded; he must be restored, and I am the one to do so.”

Already Monsieur Felix was prepared to offer a rebuttal. “Madame, Monsieur Vallot means well, but—”

“Enough!” It was not the voice of the queen dowager who commanded the quibbling doctors to halt, but rather that of the Duc d’Orléans. “My brother is on the brink of death, and you argue like two washerwomen. Do what you must, messieurs—but you shall work together, and you shall cure him.”

Both men replied in unison without issue: “Oui, Monseigneur.” Both men begged to leave to begin their work—which left the Duc d’Orléans to usher his mother and his wife from the chambre. Anne d’Autriche remained stone-faced, Philippe unable to pierce through her gaze. What could she possibly be thinking of? Perhaps the impending loss of her eldest son—his brother. Meanwhile, Henriette seemed just as troubled as his mother—a world away as he ushered them both into the anteroom where some of the great members of the royal household had assembled to await news—or to be called to task should they be summoned to do something. As Philippe settled his mother into a fauteuil so she could sit, he could not help but notice the eyes of the court upon him as they had never been before.

‘They look at me because their king is injured,’ Philippe thought. ‘They look to me because should my brother die, then I may become king.’

Both Monsieur Vallot and Monsieur Felix were closeted in the antechamber with the king for a very long time. The king’s wound from the boar was the most pressing concern—a large gnash that had torn across the king’s stomach and had cut deep through the tissue. Felix attempted to deal with the wound with Ambrose Paré’s concoction for wounds—egg yolk, oil and roses, and turpentine—while Monsieur Vallot believed that the king needed an enema of wine, rose water, and opium—and that he should be bled to purge his body of foul humors. Despite Orléans edict that they should work together, Felix and Vallot continued to bicker throughout their treatments. “We must deal with these humors if we hope to cure the king!” Vallot snapped. “No!” Felix argued in turn. “The wound is the cause—it must be dealt with, and the bleeding stopped.” Throughout the evening they worked—without the King of France regaining consciousness. The wound continued to ooze and even bleed—not even Felix’s plasters of herbs, honey, and spiced wine could help staunch the continuing loss of blood and growth of pus. As the sun set and the moon began to rise ever higher into the sky, Vallot noted nervously that the king’s pulse had become less stable and more thready. His lips turned a noxious blue—his skin paler than ever. Vallot, in a futile attempt to revive the king’s spirit immediately ordered that snuff should be stuffed up his nose, while a noxious antimonial wine was poured down the king’s throat in hopes that he might vomit. This produced no improvement—and very soon after the king expired. When the doors of the antechamber were opened and the queen dowager and the Duc d’Orléans were invited inside to view the corpse, already those well-known words were beginning to ring out throughout the court.

“Le roi est mort!”

[1] Allegedly Anne d’Autriche referred to her younger son in this manner.

[2] Surgeons were held in low standard in this period, hence their affiliation with barbers, and the so-called “barber-surgeons.” In France, specifically, the prestige of surgeons did not rise until Louis XIV suffered an anal fistula in 1686 and was operated on.

The sun has set! Long live Philippe VII! I suppose we know that Maria Therese will miscarry otl's Grand Dauphin (Understandably so given the shock) based on the title. Philippe as king will certainly be interesting. He seemed to have been fairly competent, but not as autocratic as Louis. Maybe absolutism becomes less of a thing than otl? And of course his personal life will be interesting (I'm hoping for even more hot messes than the Scotland chapters in Anno).

Also, no Versailles! Philippe likely will be building something, but, from what I gather, Versailles was deffo Louis' passion project and based on dear memories of their father's hunting lodge

Hopefully Henrietta will live longer too! Her stomach disease might be butterfliable

What will happen to Maria Therese? She might remarry somewhere and have an heir. That will certainly be an interesting factor for when Carlos II eventually snuffs it

Will deffo be watching this!

Thank you so much!

OH MY GOD! This ROCKS!

I already want to see more.
It was a little itch that wouldn't go away, so I decided the best thing to do was write it out.

Same! And hopefully the habsburgs will make it through this better off
I do actually have some interesting ideas for them! Since Louis XIV's wife is going to be widowed, and clearly her pregnancy has to play out differently for Philippe to succeed his brother. That'll put her in an interesting position, considering Carlos II wasn't born until November of 1661... even after his birth, she'll potentially be the line of succession behind him. I know that she was supposed to renounce those rights following her marriage, but given Spain failed to pay her dowry and she'll be widowed (without possible living issue), I assume she'll be able to regain her place in the Spanish succession.

There are certainly some Queens of France (Blanche of Navarre, Elisabeth of Austria) who declared that: "The Queens of France do not remarry." but Felipe IV wouldn't be the first king to ask his widowed daughter to come home in hopes of arranging another marriage for her.

The sun has set! Long live Philippe VII! I suppose we know that Maria Therese will miscarry otl's Grand Dauphin (Understandably so given the shock) based on the title. Philippe as king will certainly be interesting. He seemed to have been fairly competent, but not as autocratic as Louis. Maybe absolutism becomes less of a thing than otl? And of course his personal life will be interesting (I'm hoping for even more hot messes than the Scotland chapters in Anno).

Also, no Versailles! Philippe likely will be building something, but, from what I gather, Versailles was deffo Louis' passion project and based on dear memories of their father's hunting lodge

Hopefully Henrietta will live longer too! Her stomach disease might be butterfliable

What will happen to Maria Therese? She might remarry somewhere and have an heir. That will certainly be an interesting factor for when Carlos II eventually snuffs it

Will deffo be watching this!
Yep, you are spot on: for Philippe to come to the throne, this means that Maria Theresa's pregnancy has to go awry. I debated the idea of her having a daughter, but with the POD there would be no way to alter her already existing pregnancy, so miscarriage we'll go. I think Philippe's reign will definitely be most interesting; I was toying with different ideas of how to make this come to fruition, but I decided I wanted it to happen as late as possible, because a) I figure Louis XIV dying in the 1650s means that Philippe gets married to Maria Theresa instead, and I still wanted his marriage to Henriette to come about and b) I wanted him to keep as much of his OTL personality as possible. The idea of this man who's been raised as a nonentity, to be as non-threatening to his older brother as possible suddenly gaining the top job is super interesting to explore. I most definitely have some plans for Philippe's personal life: I can only imagine how big the Chevalier de Lorraine will get in the breeches when his lover becomes king.

Yes, Versailles will remain a dumpy hunting lodge. I believe Louis XIV had visited it a few times in the 1650s and early 1660s, but works didn't begin until the mid-to-late 1660s. Works in the early 1660s were mostly on the gardens. As for Philippe, from what I've been able to glean from some biographies is while Louis XIV preferred the country and obviously detested Paris because of the Fronde, Philippe massively preferred to reside in Paris. So the royal court will remain centered in Paris, and Philippe will likely have his own building plans centered around the Tuileries and the Louvre. A fire ruined the Petite Gallerie in 1661, so I could see Philippe taking an interest in continuing the work by Henri IV to combine the Louvre / Tuileries into one building. I know most OTL building plans for the Louvre were abandoned in the 1670s as focus was directed towards Versailles. They have the Palais-Royal, too, but I presume they'll vacate it for the actual royal palaces.

I definitely want to explore Henriette's life, since she too has a very interesting story: the daughter of an executed king and member of an exiled royal family. She was wed following Charles II's restoration, but now she'll be Queen of France (certainly the position which Henrietta Maria had desired for her). Certainly compared to Maria Theresa, she's a suitable first lady to head the French court. Her and Philippe's relationship has yet to implode, and Louis XIV being out of the picture will prevent one issue, but I still imagine their relationship will have difficulties, especially where the Chevalier is concerned.

As for Maria Theresa... as I mentioned above, there are certainly Queens of France who never remarried after they were widowed, but she's only twenty-three (and until Carlos II is born) she's in line for the Spanish throne. She could remain behind as a queen dowager in France as a non-entity, or she could return to Spain and her father could arrange another marriage for her. I think her getting called home would be quite likely, and certainly she's of age that she could be a possible spouse for Emperor Leopold (which I believe was an original idea floated before she married Louis XIV). The marriage plans between Leopold and Margaret didn't gain speed until 1662, but is Leopold going to want Louis XIV's scraps? It also seems that Felipe IV had some reluctance regarding Leopold and Margaret's marriage, his will didn't even mention it because he wanted to protect her status as potential heiress / ruler of Spain if Carlos II died. So Maria Theresa could be useful in that context, too. Aside from the emperor, her options would be a lot more limited... no one else is really coming to mind for me that she might possibly wed.

I do actually have some interesting ideas for them! Since Louis XIV's wife is going to be widowed, and clearly her pregnancy has to play out differently for Philippe to succeed his brother. That'll put her in an interesting position, considering Carlos II wasn't born until November of 1661... even after his birth, she'll potentially be the line of succession behind him. I know that she was supposed to renounce those rights following her marriage, but given Spain failed to pay her dowry and she'll be widowed (without possible living issue), I assume she'll be able to regain her place in the Spanish succession.

There are certainly some Queens of France (Blanche of Navarre, Elisabeth of Austria) who declared that: "The Queens of France do not remarry." but Felipe IV wouldn't be the first king to ask his widowed daughter to come home in hopes of arranging another marriage for her.
True. the Habsburgs would retain spain and save europe from the messy war of spanish succession

but Felipe IV wouldn't be the first king to ask his widowed daughter to come home in hopes of arranging another marriage for her.
likeliest husband will be Emperor Leopold (unfortunately). The other main Habsburg candidate will be Leo's half-brother, Karl Joseph, but he's too young. Two ASB'ish Habsburg candidates would be Leopold Wilhelm (dead in November 1662) and unable to wed as Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, and Sigmund Franz (in holy orders until his brother's death in December 1662, potentially until 1664 (sources vary on when he was granted the "release" to marry)

I definitely want to explore Henriette's life, since she too has a very interesting story: the daughter of an executed king and member of an exiled royal family. She was wed following Charles II's restoration, but now she'll be Queen of France (certainly the position which Henrietta Maria had desired for her). Certainly compared to Maria Theresa, she's a suitable first lady to head the French court. Her and Philippe's relationship has yet to implode, and Louis XIV being out of the picture will prevent one issue, but I still imagine their relationship will have difficulties, especially where the Chevalier is concerned.
I'm trying to figure out if this is going to be better for her (as queen , Philippe would be expected to "treat her better". OTL Louis XIV sorta kept it "in-house") or worse (look at how Henri IV/Louis XIV/Louis XV treated their wives).

Leopold Wilhelm (dead in November 1662)
Why ASBish? If the idea is to avoid personal unions, then he's good, and Leopold Jr. feels he's going to compensate his uncle with something for stepping aside from the idea of getting himself elected as Emperor. Spanish crown sounds like a good "something", and he's already a Governor of Spanish Netherlands.

Maria Theresa as empress is certainly an idea. She is proven able to get pregnant (and people might not fault her for miscarrying after her husband’s shocking death) and by Habsburg standards, she and Leopold actually aren’t that closely related. They’re only cousins and through her French mother, some new blood is thrown into the family. I see no reason why she and Leo shouldn’t be able to have some surviving heirs. One can get the Spanish empire while another gets the HRE

likeliest husband will be Emperor Leopold (unfortunately). The other main Habsburg candidate will be Leo's half-brother, Karl Joseph, but he's too young. Two ASB'ish Habsburg candidates would be Leopold Wilhelm (dead in November 1662) and unable to wed as Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, and Sigmund Franz (in holy orders until his brother's death in December 1662, potentially until 1664 (sources vary on when he was granted the "release" to marry)
Yeah, I was thinking too that Leopold is really the only option available to her of comparable rank / age. I think Leopold Wilhelm is a no-go not just because of his religious orders, but because there's no way he'd be preferred over the emperor himself as a possible husband. Sigmund Franz is equally interesting, but there's still the issue of Leopold shuffling around unwed.

I'm trying to figure out if this is going to be better for her (as queen , Philippe would be expected to "treat her better". OTL Louis XIV sorta kept it "in-house") or worse (look at how Henri IV/Louis XIV/Louis XV treated their wives).
Honestly: I feel like their relationship will likely still suffer difficulties, even with their rise in status and without the idea of Louis XIV getting involved with Henriette. Philippe is still going to have his mignons, and I can only imagine how obnoxious his lovers may become after this. I don't know if Henriette would go so far to have an affair as Queen of France vs. her possible involvements with Louis XIV and Guiche as Duchess of Orléans, but given her flirtatious personality I could see some court gossips bandying about such rumors. There is certainly some interesting dramatic developments to come about from Philippe and Henriette having everything they wish as king / queen but being trapped in a miserable marriage with one another.

Maria Theresa as empress is certainly an idea. She is proven able to get pregnant (and people might not fault her for miscarrying after her husband’s shocking death) and by Habsburg standards, she and Leopold actually aren’t that closely related. They’re only cousins and through her French mother, some new blood is thrown into the family. I see no reason why she and Leo shouldn’t be able to have some surviving heirs. One can get the Spanish empire while another gets the HRE
I think so too. At least it may be a better match than Leopold marrying Margaret, who was his niece. Maria Theresa might have more 'luck' with Leopold than she did with Louis XIV.

Good start; hope this'll be as good as the other TL (hoping that TL is updated soon)...
Thank you! I do promise that I have updates coming for Anno soon, in the new year. It's still my primary focus!

I think so too. At least it may be a better match than Leopold marrying Margaret, who was his niece. Maria Theresa might have more 'luck' with Leopold than she did with Louis XIV.
I would be surprised if she didn’t. Louis was her first cousin twice over. Genetically they might as well have been half siblings! The fact that le Grand Dauphin lived and was healthy, both physically and mentally, is honestly a bit of a miracle

While Leopold is the better option as second husband for Maria Theresa, is not impossible who he would still marry Margarita while Maria Theresa remarried to Sigismund Francis of Tyrol… Still Maria Theresa and Leopold should have better luck with children than she had with Louis and he with Margarita

While Leopold is the better option as second husband for Maria Theresa, is not impossible who he would still marry Margarita while Maria Theresa remarried to Sigismund Francis of Tyrol… Still Maria Theresa and Leopold should have better luck with children than she had with Louis and he with Margarita
Yes, I think Leopold is the more likely option, too. Since marriage plans with Margaret didn’t pick up pace until 1662, and she’s still quite young—he’d be able to marry Maria Theresa much sooner than he wed Margaret, which would be a plus in her favor assuming Karl Josef still dies in 1664 and the Habsburg line is still incredibly thinned out, limited to the emperor and his Tyrolean cousins.

Assuming Maria Theresa does marry Leopold, what possible marriage options will be open for Margaret Theresa? It seems that the idea of an imperial marriage for her was the only thing in the cards for her following the marriage of her older sister in France, so it does make me wonder where else she might be able to marry. Apparently the Spanish ambassador to France suggested her as a possible bride for Charles II, but Felipe IV rejected the idea, and with good reason.

Assuming Maria Theresa does marry Leopold, what possible marriage options will be open for Margaret Theresa? It seems that the idea of an imperial marriage for her was the only thing in the cards for her following the marriage of her older sister in France, so it does make me wonder where else she might be able to marry. Apparently the Spanish ambassador to France suggested her as a possible bride for Charles II, but Felipe IV rejected the idea, and with good reason.
Sibling marriage? That’s wack even by Habsburg standards