The Great War at Sea ... Take 13

The last of the opposing battle lines would deliver up the most lopsided match-ups of the battle, and along with that a moment of bravery that would forever mark a young man who would, some years later rise to great position.

As Rear Admiral Mauve’s five old pre-dreadnoughts swung into place behind the rest of their confederates, and the towering water spouts marked where their enemy was seeking them out, most of their crews, standing to in their various positions did not see that their worst fears were about to take life.

Opposite them, those on the British battleships could not believe what was sailing in to oppose them. As the commander of HMS Revenge, Captain Edward Buxton Kiddle would write in his journals after the battle:

“I looked out in near disbelief at those last few ships in the German line. For a moment I would wonder that my sight had tricked me, but no, they were indeed as they were. In their day, the sight of these proud old warriors would have struck an enemy’s heart cold. At Tsushima, they would have been nearly invincible against either of the combatants, but here, here they would be no more than lambs before wolves.

What nature of a man would sail into battle with us in such ships? Foolhardy might be ones first impression, but truthfully, that would be the wrong choice. As our ranging salvoes sought them out I would understand that these men, our foe, must be some of the bravest and most resolute that had ever gone to sea to do battle. To be at that point, in those ships, they truly could be nothing less. Of those who had ordered their date with their coming dark destiny, I would hold a much lesser regard.

We would do battle with these men, and we would win, of course. While they would wound us, those wounds would be minor. However, for those small wounds, many of them would pay the most precious price.

There are those who would use our action to better describe the power and glory of the navy. While there were many great efforts that day that better deserve accolades regarding our effort, in this case I feel it is out of place, for in short order, we were about to deal with these brave men in a manner more befitting to how a cold hearted country lord might deal with an unwanted mongrel tied to a post.

Their guns could damage us a pittance, and they had not the speed to safely retire even if they had chosen to. They simply came on, and we delivered their fate on to them. Over three thousand sons of their Fatherland, most lost forever, there is no glory in that.”

To say that Mauve’s pre-dreadnoughts were overmatched would be understatement at the very least. Opposing them were the three Revenge class battleships of the 4th division of the 2nd Battle Squadron under Vice Admiral Cecil Burney, with the four old battleships of Vice Admiral Gaunt’s 4th BS bringing up the end of the British line.

Mauve’s flagship, SMS Deutschland, led these old warriors into action. Even as the old battleship’s initial salvoes were reaching out for their enemy, the ranging half salvoes from HMS Revenge were relentlessly drawing in on the fine old ship. So it would be that just as a pair of rounds ploughed up the sea close inboard to the starboard side of Revenge, a ranging salvo from that British battle ship fell across Deutschland. Out of the four shells in the salvo, the first fell short, casting fragments across the decks of the German ship. The second hit the water close inboard as well, however it would be near enough that it would strike the hull some fifteen feet below the water line, then detonate. The third shell would easily defeat the old ship’s armour, driving into her port side battery and detonating as it hit the rear of the structure. The fourth one would strike the upper decks, smashing boats, light mounts and equipment, before lodging in the base structure of the third funnel, without detonating.

The last hit, while causing much local damage, was of little effect, and while the damage to the funnel would leave funnel gases and soot billowing low out over the rear of the ship, there was little in the way of serious effect on the ship. The third hit would create bedlam in the portside battery deck, as a large portion of it was torn apart in the blast, then burnt out in the resultant fires. It was only the quick action of her crews in securing the magazines, that saved her from a much more direct end. While this hit was of a much more serious note than the first one, it would be the hit below the waterline, just forward of the other two, which would deliver what would be the ship’s killing blow.

For such a ship, with her essentially nonexistent under water protection, the hit would prove fatal, as along with the shell’s detonation as it struck the hull tearing open a large hole in her flank, and smashing the associated bunkers behind it, it would rend the inner bulkheads as well, which would allow the cold waters of the North Sea to find easy passage into her.

With little in the way of internal bulkheads and protection, water would find its way into the engineering spaces almost immediately. That the crew would struggle to save her was a given, but there was little to be done given her dated design.

With the range now set, the guns of HMS Revenge would deliver four full salvoes on the old warrior, and gain three more solid hits. One would tear through the front of turret Anton, deflecting off the breach of the portside gun, before smashing its way out the rear of the turret without detonating, and leaving a gory trail of destruction behind it. Out of the turret’s crew, only two bloodied survivors would struggle free of the carnage. The other pair would strike her portside belt. The first would detonate as it struck, shattering a large portion of the old plate, and driving those fragments back into the ship’s hull. The last one passed through the belt, and drove deep into the guts of Deutschland, detonating as advertised against one of her old reciprocating engines.

“While still struggling vainly to hold off the effects of the earlier hit below, along with struggling to see to any possible survivor of turret Anton, and secure its magazines and powder stores, there came two more hits. The first would shake the ship, as it detonated on contact with our belt. The second was much more disturbing, as a detonation deep in the ship, followed by the moan and scream of high speed machinery tearing itself asunder. This was followed almost immediately by great billowing clouds of smoke and steam finding its way out of the ship from every conceivable place, as the ship began to lose headway.

Four more hits would follow in short order, on our doomed vessel, and with myself being the senior officer left on the bridge, after all the rest present there were cut down, there was little to be done by staying. As the ship was now nearly stopped, and rolling decidedly to port, there was nothing more for me to do than order the surviving crew off.”

- Lt.Kdr Willie Kahlert

As the result of this action, the flagship of the last squadron in the High Seas Fleet’s line, would be the first actual battleship lost in the battle. She would be joined by her division mate, SMS Schleswig-Holstein scant minutes later when that ship would have her stern blown off by the detonation of one of HMS Royal Oak’s shells in her aft 11” magazines.

Of the remaining trio, they would last a little longer. SMS Pommern, under fire from HMS Ramilles would take somewhat longer to be marked down by the more inexperienced crew of that new ship, and would eventually find her end in some time in the lonely pre-dawn hours of the next morning.

The remaining pair, each with a pair of the old battleships of Vice Admiral Gaunt’s 4th Battle Squadron engaging them, would initially gain some good result on their antagonists. While they would claim no victories, they would manage to deliver minor damage to both HMS Revenge and HMS Royal Oak, as well as several hits on two of the old battleships present, HMS Vanguard and HMS Collingwood.

While regrettably for the Germans the damage done to the two new battleships was negligible in the scope of the battle, the damages to the older pair, brought under fire by Schlesien and Hannover, was rather more substantial.

Both Vanguard and Collingwood were simple linear improvements of the original Dreadnought design, Old weathered and overloaded by the time of the battle, both ships rode so low that the better portion of their armour belt was submerged. As well, many of their earlier design principles were past their prime and they were without many of the features of more modern ships. The results of the damage taken by even the old patter guns on the German pre-dreadnoughts that engaged them would prove these points well.

SMS Schlesien, positioned at the end of the German line, would gain five hits on HMS Vanguard, causing significant damage on the British ship, before being battered to silence by that ship and her squadron mate HMS Superb. Vanguard would lose its starboard wing turret in the engagement, along with taking three serious hits amidships, two of which would pass in above the belt and strike the main deck. While not able to penetrate properly, fragments would find their way into the turbine and boiler rooms, causing significant damages, and forcing the old veteran from the line. The third would hole her close to the waterline, causing serious flooding issues that would further compromise her efforts to return home.

On HMS Collingwood, the fire from Hannover, would not be as damaging internally, however a glancing hit to the side of the forward turret very nearly had a negative impact on one of the British Empire’s more favoured sons, as in his own words he would describe that:

“… thus far, as the guns were under director control, and I had taken it upon myself to stand to at one of the currently unused spotting telescopes to better observe the battle, and be prepared lest we would be forced to use local control of our mount.

I watched in quiet amazement as our shells burst near or on our target, the second last battleship in the German line. While I was happy to see several hits strike home on that vessel, I was unable to discern if those hits were from our own guns or that of HMS Superb, which was following astern of us. However, even as our guns were lashing out at the German vessel, our own ship was shuddering under that ship’s return fire.

I had just observed a massive orange-brown eruption aft on the ship just ahead of our target, when our position was overtaken in turn by a great roaring explosion. Knocked from my station by its force, I fell to the deck, and rendered temporarily addled in the process. In my dazed state I would note the fractured bone of my left forearm pushing at the skin midway from my wrist and elbow, as fire, smoke and fumes would swirl about the hood. Gathering my senses, I found my feet and struggled toward a nearby hatch in an effort to make good my escape from that place. As I made my way clear at first I noted no other men about, yet as I neared the door I would stumble over a rating collapsed on the deck.

I had the initial misfortune to step on his badly mangled leg, which brought out a scream from him. But for that I might well have not noted his presence there, so in the end his poor placement in the path of my stumbling attempt at egress, would be somewhat more positive. With little time to think, and the conditions in the turret fast declining, I simply reached down and took hold of him with my good arm, dragging him the last few feet to the now open hatch by the combination of the hair on his head, and his cotton flash hood, with him screaming hideously as I did so. As I reached the hatch, I could see through the smoke the shadowy outlines of men who would assist me and my fellow from our confines.

As we were carried below, I would start to be mindful of my several injuries, while at the same time trying to ignore the piteous cries of my wounded comrade. Arriving in the make shift ward, the doctor was immediately at my side, however I waved him off, with orders to see to several of the men more seriously injured than I. In spite of my pains, I managed somehow to find solace, and would drift into sleep shortly there after.”

- Prince Albert of York VC (later King George VI)

Excerpted from: “As Sons serve their Father – The Royal Princes in the Great War”

Prince Albert would be seen to in due course, even as the last of Mauve’s squadron was being overwhelmed, and along with his wounded comrades in arms, would arrive safely back at the Firth of Forth the following day.

---0---

On his battered flagship, HMS Iron Duke, Jellicoe held concerns with the battle, by that point well into its second hour. With the setting of the sun, along with the increasing overcast, smoke and haze of the battle, and the fast gathering twilight, there was all appearances that the successful completion of the battle would likely slip away.

While reports received were claiming heavy losses and damages delivered up on the High Seas Fleet, those numbers were in no way without question in several instances, and when compared with the losses and damages of his own fleet, there was little to chose between the numbers, that in actual fact might well present a numerical victory for the High Seas Fleet.

While the gunnery duel between the great ships was fast approaching a useful end, Jellicoe did have one more unused asset to commit. Even with his flagship exchanging salvoes with SMS Prinz Regent Luitpold, his usual clear calm manner would not desert him, as he would give the command to send the appropriate orders to Commodore James Hawksley, Commodore, Destroyers Flotillas, Grand Fleet.

Next would come the orders to his Battle Squadron commanders, after which Jellicoe would be treated for a splinter wound in his right shoulder by the ship’s surgeon.

---0---

As the last streaks of daylight were falling away to the west, Rear Admiral Benhke would suddenly note:

“… to our utter amazement, the Grand Fleet was turning away. It was not simply a turn at the head of the line, or even by division, rather it was a turn together to port, and all the British battleships would very shortly be lost in the haze.

In that moment, I was shocked to silence, as that terrible foe would draw off to the south. While I knew we had taken a horrible beating, and had earlier wondered that my battered command would surely be lost, if the action continued, the sudden appreciation that the Grand Fleet was giving up the fight was at first unbelievable. Yet there they were, turning away. For whatever the reason, I felt that we would gain our safe passage home.”

Rear Admiral Paul Benhke

Further back in the German line, Admiral Scheer was seeing the same thing from his flagship, but while happy with the idea that the Royal Navy had had enough, He was adamant, that the High Seas Fleet must follow the withdrawal and hunt down the retiring enemy fleet, before they might make good their escape.

That Scheer was still could consider such an option at that point in the battle was based on what little he could deduce from the comparative losses so far. Between the losses to the Grand Fleet he had witnessed, and what had been further gathered in reports from along his line, He was confident that a large portion of the Royal Navy present had either been, or soon would be lost; or was retiring in a damaged state to hopefully make good those damages.

While Scheer had an appreciation for his own fleet’s losses and damages, his opinion was by running down the English cripples, the hoped for great victory would be achieved.

“I had seen with my own eyes the power of our ships in the silencing of several of the Grand Fleet’s dreadnoughts, as well as observing the flame scarred smudge that marked the end of one of their vaunted Queen Elizabeth’s. That our ships in turn had suffered damage and loss, I would be foolish to deny. However, from what I could deduce, the Grand Fleet was at that point in a worse state of repair than our ships, and in that moment, I decided that they must not be allowed to escape.”

However, even as he would set about preparing orders for the chase, new sightings were coming in as the destroyers of the Grand Fleet, with light cruisers, behind them, appeared out of the darkening haze where Jellico’s fleet had just disappeared.

Quickly taking stock of the situation, Scheer would set out orders to his own remaining cruisers and torpedo boats, waiting at the ends of his battle line to counter the British light ships and deflect them from their tasks, while up and down the line, German sailors would stand to their guns in preparation to drive off the enemy.

The last stage of the day’s battle was about to begin.

---0---

So losses thus far

Grand Fleet

Audacious
Malaya
Ajax
King George V (sinks later)

High Seas Fleet

Hindenburg
Ostrifrieland
Deutschland
Schleswig-Holstein
Pommern
Schlesien
Hannover

Nassau - crippled
Westfalen - crippled
Rhineland - crippled
Oldenberg - crippled

Prinz Regent Luitpold - Crippled
Konig - crippled
Grosser Kurfurst - crippled
Markgraf - crippled
Kronprinz - crippled

The Germans have lost less (important) ships thus far but more ships are in a worse state and are basically disabled from the sounds of it. And now with the RN's DD's and CL's making an attack against a badly damaged and disorganised fleet with very few screening forces of its own...

Great update matey!

Last edited:
**** Please note, I have edited post #220 to remove duplication from the previous post ****
- My apologies for any confusing, or weird sensations of dejavu ...

Yay can't wait for the RN's DD's and CL to cut them down. Honesty it would be interesting to see how big DD and CL are from this battle for the RN
since I seem to get the impression that they are all worn out in OTL and only a few can be consider modern enough to fight in WW2.
Do kill a few admirals will you? I always find it annoying that German admirals always seem to survive anything.

Thanks once more for your comments and likes, it is sincerely appreciated!

Your list is pretty close, Steamboy, just some of additions ...
- Kaiser and Kaiserin are arguably the two worst off for damages in Benhke's squadron at this point, and Fredrich der grosse is in a serious state as well.
- Bayern has been hard hit as well
- further back Ostfreisland is just as seriously mauled as Helgoland
- Brandenburg has taken serious damages too, as had Baden ... there, I think that covers just about everyone nobbing about with the High Seas Fleet

- For the Grand Fleet,
- the four remaining QE's while hit hard ... none are comparable to the ships they have been engaging.
- behind them, Cradock's trio of battle cruisers are more or less finished ... Tiger due to her severe damage, while Renown and Repulse, after fighting two major actions in the course of a few hours, are at a critical point in their ammunition supply by this point.

- Malaya,King George V and Audacious are done for, as is Ajax.
- Vanguard is in a shaky position as well ... the underwater protection and subdivision in the Royal Navy's first generation dreadnought's was not good, and while improvements have been made over historical in this scenario, realistically, there were still a long way to go in improving these ships. For the most part, mainly due to the need to priorise newer vessels, improvements in these older battleships (Gaunt's 4th BS and Colossus) were minimal at best.

Sunk:
RN
Malaya
HSF
Hindenburg
Oldenburg
Deutschland
Schleswig-Holstein

Sinking
RN
Audacious
Ajax
HSF
Schlesein
Hannover
Pommern

Critical condition
RN
King George V (s)
Vanguard (s)
Tiger
HSF
Konig
MarkGraf
Kronprinz
Grosser Kurfurst
Kaiser
Kaiserin
Bayern
Brandenburg
Helgoland
Ostfreisland
Rhineland
Nassau

Heavy damage
RN
Warspite
Colossus
HSF
Konig Albert
Fredrich der Grosse
Prinz Regent Luitpold
Baden
Westfalen

Significant damage
RN
Queen Elizabeth
Valiant
Barham
Benbow
Marlborough
Conqueror
Iron Duke
Renown
Repulse

This should be how things sit right now. While the fates of many here have been decided, other than those already reported as sunk, this is how things stand.

Thanks for checking in!

Last edited:
Hi Kiwi,
To say at this point in the war that their destroyers were worn out, I would opine is wrong. As the guy down on your local used car lot would say:"They are well used."

When looking at destroyers, one must keep in mind that, in my humble opinion, just like battleships, they would have their 'Dreadnought epiphany' as well. While originating in the Royal Navy's early to late war flotilla leaders, which would set the parameters for basic design and size; this would finally morph into arguably the prototypical standard destroyer design for many navies in the form of the 'Vanoc/Wakeful' or V/W' classes. While even these would require reworking to see them into WW2, they would provide yeoman service in the RN during that war.

What needs to be understood is that these classes were late WW1 production, with very few of the seeing prolonged combat usage. Even with that, by the time WW2 would start, most were needing major overhaul or modification, due to the lack of budgetary support for overhaul and upgrades, combined with steady levels of peace time use.

The problem with most older designs in the RN, was that not only had their war service been demanding, but their designs were becoming dated, with practical limits on what they might be useful for ... the thought of taking a '28 knotter', with its turtle back forecastle, into North Atlantic convoy duty would be on the rather untoward side of interesting.

For the most part, because of their design and the intent in using them, destroyers are a well used design in most navies of that period. and while you can never have enough of them, they do tend to hit a point whereby the best option is to replace them, as there is only so much there to begin with.

As to the admirals, well I talked it over with them, and a few have agreed to make the sacrifice ... this is sort of like playing god in a way ... which reminds me ... I have to check in at my alt history Officer's club ... I think it's about the right time to have one Major MacArthur kicked in the head by a mule!

Thanks for checking in Kiwi!

“Soon after we made our turn to the south, I would see, coming toward us on an opposing course, the destroyers and their larger brethren dashing back to the north. As they passed between us, there was still enough light to make out the men at the guns and torpedo tubes, along with the officers on their bridges, all intent in their given duties.

As they held on past us, like hounds after the fox, seeking on their quarry to our north, I would reflect on the last few hours, and the great duel between the fleets. We had taken a beating, and so had our foe, yet for all the power in the great dreadnoughts of both sides, and the expectation of victory held in their great armoured masses, events were still very much undecided.

That our battleships had delivered us well to this point was a given, remorselessly paring back the might of our enemy, we had done what we could, yet it was not sufficient to claim the ring. That final goal had now been passed on, and as our smaller brethren rushed past us to seek out the foe down range, I would understand the irony of what I was witnessing.

That this day’s exertions would not be decided by the great guns of our armored giants, but by our fast and nimble kin, with only their skill, agility and stout hearts to protect them from the enemy’s desperate wrath. As they faded into the northerly mists, we would pass them our hopes for victory, for that elusive goal, which we had not achieved, would now be in their hands to decide.”

- Admiral John Jellicoe

As quoted in: ‘The Fleet’s Fusiliers – the Destroyers of the Royal Navy”

Even as the Grand Fleet’s battle line was executing its turn together to the south, the destroyer flotillas of the Grand Fleet, with their supporting light cruisers, were swinging toward the reported position of the High Seas Fleet.

While ideally a massed attack would have been best, due to their positioning behind the British battle line, the available squadrons, flotillas and divisions would attack independently as they found their targets. While in some ways this could be presented as a disadvantage for the attackers, with most of the German ships carrying significant damage, including the destruction of a good portion of their secondary batteries, their theoretical ability to better concentrate fire on the separate attacking groups would not be as it should be.

The few remaining cruisers and torpedo boats that Scheer had available to call in were scattered as well, and while they would do their best as they found the British attackers, they would be little better than a diversion of sorts, and their efforts would be easily countered by the more numerous Royal Navy cruisers and destroyers.

The main axis of the attack would be combined effort of the 4th and 11th Flotilla from the south, along with the 9th (-) and 12th Flotillas, with Goodenough’s 2nd LCS in support, advancing hard on their eastern flank.

Between these two groups, the Grand Fleet had five light cruisers, five flotilla leaders, and no less than 32 destroyers. With that many ships advancing in on a wide arc from near the head of the German line, all the way to its rear, the High Seas Fleets efforts to deflect their attack would be hard to organize, and would force most of the defenders to react independently.

This situation was further challenged by further units advancing from the south west and west, adding another nine light cruisers, a flotilla leader and eight more destroyers, to add additional diffusion and distraction for the German defenders.

While the main axis of the attack would come from the south, the units coming from a more easterly point would add to the confusion, while those coming from the west would, further complicate the manoeuver options of the remaining ships of the High Seas Fleet.

---0---

With twilight closing in, the effect gunnery range was steadily falling off, however as the leading eight ships of Commander Wintour’s 4th flotilla closed past the 8,000-yard mark, they would come under a withering fire from Konig Albert initially, followed by the guns of several of the German battleships in front of and behind her. The battleship’s fire was soon augmented by the efforts of four torpedo boats of the 3rd Torpedo Boat Flotilla.

In the ensuing melee as the Wintour’s ships held on toward their target, the British destroyers would take heavy fire. Most would sustain serious damage, and three of their number would be torn to pieces, with the destroyers Spitfire, Ardent and Hardy shot out, and left sinking as their comrades pushed on.

The British gunners would deliver up some fine gunnery at that point as well, sinking V71 and G88, while leaving G42 dead in the water and silenced. The remaining torpedo boat was forced of as well, burning heavily amidships.

No matter what they managed to throw at the determined British destroyers, three would close near enough to launch their torpedoes at both Konig Albert and Fredrich der Grosse. Three torpedoes would be launched at Konig Albert, however by turning away, neither of the pair that ran true would find their target. However, of the two launched by Wintour’s flagship, HMS Tipperary on SMS Fredrich der Grosse, one would deliver a solid hit on the German battleship, tearing open her port side abaft between the rear main turrets. Heavy flooding would ensue, along with enough shock damage to the outer port shaft to affect its alignment enough that it would threaten to shake out the seals, and as a result, that shaft was shut down, leaving Fredrich der Grosse to do her best to retire at under 14 knots.

Even as Wintour’s battered survivors were falling back, the four remaining ships of the 11th’s 2nd Half Flotilla were launching their torpedoes on SMS Baden and SMS Brandenburg. While both these ships would attempt to clear to the north, only Brandenburg would be successful, as a torpedo from HMS Marne, which would catch the German battleship in her stern. With her rudder and starboard screw included in the aggregate damages from the hit, Baden was left in serious condition. Flooding swiftly aft, her starboard shaft badly impacted, and the rudder damage leaving her circling, there was no hope for Scheer’s flagship to safely retire. The ship would be left behind, slowly circling, as Brandenburg continued on to the north.

At the head of the German line, bedlam would ensue as even as Behnke’s surviving ships had done their level best to fight off the 11th Flotilla’s 1st Half Flotilla, sinking two destroyers, and heavily damaging the remaining pair, along with Commodore Hawksley’s flagship, the light cruiser Castor, two of the British torpedoes would find targets. The torpedoes, which were launched by two different destroyers, would both find SMS Markgraf, which due to being under local control had not been able to turn away as quick as the rest of her squadron mates. With the first striking forward, the flooding already there was drastically increased, as the new damage would not only add to the water already in the hull, but demolish the efforts to contain the previous damage. The second hit, very nearly centered on the port side would merely be an event to see her more quickly to her end.

With her bows soon awash and listing heavily to port, Markgraf’s crew would struggle on for a few more hours, but being that as it may, an hour before sunrise on the 2nd, her last fight would be lost, and as her bow dropped, she would capsize to port, then sink.

That a successful turn away had delivered all of Behnke’s surviving battleships save Markgraf, from Hawksley’s destroyers was a short lived moment, as while they had dodged those torpedoes, they delivered themselves up as targets for the two light cruisers and four destroyers, under Alexander-Sinclair, which had been closing from the south west.

Appearing out of the mist at under 4,000 yards, there had been little time to react, and the British cruisers and destroyers would successfully launch nine torpedoes, before making good their escape with little damage to themselves.

While Benhke’s flagship Konig was not among the targets, Grosser Kurfurst, Kronprinz and Bayern and Kaiser would all be targeted. Out of the eleven torpedoes launched, a remarkable five would find their targets, with one each on Grosser Kurfurst, Bayern and Kaiser, and a pair on Kronprinz.

The hit on Grosser Kurfurst did little damage, and the extra flooding would be contained for the time being, while the hit on Bayern would further expand her collection of damage, although there would be no immediate effect, its resultant damage would be accumulative.

The battered Kaiser, already struggling to hold back the effects of her damages under the guns of HMS Renown, would simply fall out to starboard, with her list getting steadily greater. As her surviving squadron mates would continue on, she would slow to a stop, then capsize an hour and a half later.

Kronprinz would be delivered up to a similar fate, however she would linger until just after dawn.

---0---

Even as the other flotillas were delivering up good result on the head of the German line, Captain Anselun Stirling’s 12th Flotilla was pushing through from the South-East, looking for prey. The 12th would have good hunting, easily locating the stopped and burning Nassau, as well as the nearby Rhineland.

Their next encounter would be a rabid scuffle with the light cruiser Augsburg and three torpedo boats, for the loss of the destroyers Narwal, Nonsuch and Mary Rose, as well as damage to two more, Stirling’s destroyers would manage to put a torpedo into the German cruiser, and put down two of the torpedo boats.

What would not be known until some time later, was that while these German light forces, under the astute leadership of Kommodore Andreas Michelesen, were keeping them occupied, the heavily damaged battleships Prinz Regent Luitpold and Helgoland would make their way clear of the area. Just under one hundred survivors of the German ships sunk there would be recovered the next day, however Michelesen would not be among them.

Stirling’s flotilla would be partially compensated for being deprived the chance to attack those two ships by stumbling upon the near defenseless Ostfreisland, which was dead in the water and listing heavily to port. Not taking chances, sterling ordered in two destroyers to finish the stricken ship. Two torpedoes were fired and both struck home. Almost immediately the battered battleship fell over on her port side, and sank within minutes.

While not stopping for survivors, mainly due to not wanting to leave his ships exposed while undertaking such actions, ships of his squadron would cut loose various floats and rafts as they swung past the survivors.

---0---

Stirling’s flotilla would continue through the area, finding only a further pair of torpedo boats which were ran down and destroyed, before receiving the recall to return to the main body of the fleet.

Back to the north west, the last engagement of the 1st had just finished off, with the loss of the old light cruiser Amazone, which while withdrawing toward the Skagerrak, had blundered into Admiral Moore’s squadron and had been summarily dispatched.

---0---

By the last minutes of June 1st, the guns had fallen silent, as both sides gathered in their forces to the best of their abilities and prepared for the next morning. On the ships of both fleets, men would struggle with damages, flooding and saving the lives of those they could. Reports were prepared and sent, as were inquiries into the locations of the various ships and squadrons scattered across the western slopes of the Jutland Bank.

While some of those queries would be answered in good time, others would not be so rapid in their replies. Then there would be those that due to damage or the challenges of the limited wireless of the day would simply turn up back at home port on their own. However, the most disturbing ones on both sides were the ones that would never return.

For those ships lost before the sun had set, it had been somewhat easier to discern the fate of the ships and crews within. Efforts were made by both sides to render assistance to men in the water where ever possible. However, once the sun had set, it would be a long cold night for those lost at sea, many of whom who would not live to see dawn’s first light.

---0---

For the High Seas Fleet, there by now badly scattered forces had only one concern, those that could only wanted to safely retire without again encountering the Grand Fleet. In small packets and individually, they would make their way north and east, away from the last known position of Jellicoe’s battleships.

The largest collection, under Rear Admiral Behnke’s command, consisted of his flagship Konig, Grosser Kurfurst, Bayern, Konig Albert and Kaiserin. Unknown to Behnke, less than 20 miles to their south east, Rear Admiral Erhard Schmidt, was sailing his flagship Brandenburg back to the east in search any other ships from his squadron. He would chance upon Prinz Regent Luitpold and Helgoland, then continue east again, as he pondered his next course of action.

Between the two retiring squadrons, SMS Fredrich der Grosse was plodding on toward the Skagerrak. With her speed falling off, and now only making 11 knots, the ship was in very poor shape, and her damage control teams, for all their amazing work, were not able to contain the slowly accumulating flooding.

To the north of Schmidt’s squadron, SMS Westfalen was pushing on at her best speed for the Skagerrak.

‘My chief engineering officer was in a foul mood, demanding that we moderate our speed or chance the destruction of our engines. I told him that there would be good time to make good any damages when we returned to Germany, and in the mean time he was to squeeze out every bit of horsepower from his engines, as it would not matter a pfennig if the damned Royal Navy beat us to the Skagerrak.

He looked at me in a rather disgusted manner, and as his jaw set and his face reddened, I patted him on the shoulder and smiled as I told him there would be a case of Schnapps for him and his men if they got us to Kiel before the rest of the fleet.

His mouth gaped open for a moment, and then he let out a laugh as the colouring in his face faded back to normal.

“It had best be very good Schnapps, Sir”, was his reply, “and I think two cases might well be in order.” With a nod followed by a smile, we exchanged a salute, then he returned to the belly of our ship.

I heard no more complaints from him for the rest of our journey home.”

-Kapitain Johannes Redlich

While there were many hard stories that would spin out from the retiring High Seas Fleet in the next few days, the tale told of the commanding officer delivering on his promise of schnapps to his engine crews would not be one of them.

---0---

The last German battleship to be accounted for, SMS Baden, was still slowly circling as her crew would struggle to clear her damaged rudder. As the eastern skies were beginning to give the first purple hints of the coming dawn, the last attempts came to an end as the stern of the great battleship was finally awash.

With her flooding finally getting the upper hand on her damage control crews, there was little else to be done than to push their concerns to the well being of the surviving crew.

---0---

For the Grand Fleet, the issues at hand were similar in some ways, yet different in others. While the torpedo attacks had been going in, Jellicoe had brought the Grand Fleet around to a south easterly course, while at the same time assuming the fleet’s night time cruising formation, as well as calling back his cruisers and destroyers to tighten the screen.

As the High Seas Fleet had done its best to track down and gather in its scattered and damaged vessels, so too the Grand Fleet would do their best to gather in their wounded comrades. While the Germans would have more of a challenge with this, the Grand Fleet would be backtracking across the battle’s area, and as a result, they did much better at collecting not only their crippled comrades, but those sailors of both sides that they would happen upon.

The survivors from both Audacious and Ajax would be collected, and the ships they were collected by were immediately dispatched for Rosyth. Several of the seriously damaged ships were cut out as well, and given orders for a return to port.

They would be covered by Cradock’s Renown and Repulse, which by that time were dangerously low on shells. Warspite, King George V, Tiger, Colossus, Vanguard and Collingwood, along with the cruisers Chester, Comus and Caroline and several destroyers would retire in this group.

With destroyers and cruisers left behind to police the area at first light, Jellicoe would come about for a final sweep toward the Skagerrak in hopes of finding retiring elements of the High Seas Fleet with the approaching dawn.

---0---

It had been sheer luck for Rear Admiral Schmidt that just as the sky had been stating to lighten in the east, one of the torpedo boats he had chanced upon had spotted a large force of battleships and other craft to their south east in time for him to swing around them to the west, then make course for the Jade.

Almost two hours after Schmidt’s small squadron would find its way past Jellicoe, Behnke was leading his last survivors into the Skagerrak, three hours behind Westfalen. Three torpedo boats and the light cruiser Berlin had just rejoined them, their decks crowded with the crew of SMS Bayern, which had finally been forced to scuttle, as further flooding had slowed her too much to keep up.

Of his remaining ships, most were in stable enough shape to make the passage to Kiel at that time, with even Kaiserin, with her bow waves breaking across her forecastle occasionally, still holding on.

As they sailed on, blackened and torn as they were, with smoke from various wounds still drifting back behind them, Behnke would look out from his blackened bridge wing at the survivors he was guiding home.

“It was inconceivable that our proud fleet of the previous day would be reduced to this in a few short hours. In the period of passing of the sun we had gone from challenging the most powerful navy on earth to hardly more than a battered coastal force.

I held out hope that while our small squadron was all that I could see at that point, might be one of possibly two or three more similar groups, but if truth be known I did know even that hope would be highly improbable.

I had exchanged signals with the Admiralstab, and while they inquired of my force, and reports of the battle, they would not enlighten me further on the status of te rest of the fleet, simply stating that preparations were underway for our arrival in Kiel.

Of Scheer I heard no news, and with the only other news being from Rear Admiral Schmidt some hours before regarding the passage of the Grand Fleet toward the Skagerrak, had been my only other contact with the outside world.

Knowing that Schmidt was on his way back directly to the Jade would lift my spirits, maybe the outcome of the battle was not as bad as it first appeared.”

-Rear Admiral Paul Behnke

Even as Behnke was advancing through the Skagerrak, Rear Admiral Schmidt was bringing his small squadron closer to home. With Jellicoe behind him, his only concern had been the Royal Navy’s 3rd Battle Squadron, but his luck had held, as a patrolling U-Boat had reported that force far enough west to preclude any attempts at interference from them.

The main thoughts on the German sailors minds at that point was a lone British airplane that had turned up some time earlier, and was loitering to the west of their squadron. While concerned that their whereabouts were known, those in charge felt that with the 3rd BS well beyond them, there was little to worry about other than the last few hours to the safe channels through their minefields.

It was at that point that a lookout sighted the tell tale smudge of funnel smoke to the SSW.

---0---

Admiral Augistin Boue de La Peyriere was bundled in the heavy wool jacket as he stood on the bridge wing of Bretagne. On the horizon he could see the tell tale stain from the funnels of the German squadron.

“It had been almost a year since that Prussian von Falkenhayn had stated he would bleed the French Army white. While he had done his wicked best, and the casualty list would mount daily, France still would bleed red. While there had been little opportunity to avenge our soldiers in the trenches previous to this day, now we would have our chance.

That they might bleed our army white was not an idle threat, however that today my squadron would feed these sons of the German Empire to the fishes, would be guaranteed.”

- Admiral Augistin Boue de La Peyriere

---0---

He watched quietly as his men clambered aboard the destroyer that had been the third to come alongside the forecastle of his stricken ship. He would be the second last to board, leaving the honour of the last man off to the ship’s captain. He glanced over at the stern looking rating with his hand confidently on the grip of his cutlass, as he snapped a salute with just a hint of a smile. As he stepped onto the deck of HMS Onslaught, Admiral Reinhardt Scheer’s war was over.

---0---

Last edited:
Oh, oh wow. In the modern parlance, I believe the terminology is: rekt.

The German fleet has taken a pasting, and they're not done yet - IIRC the RN had put some effort into closing the gap in the German minefields to bite them on their return, as well as the French now arriving and the Grand Fleet still being out there.

It was hard fought, and the RN have taken their lumps, but it's tough to say it wasn't entirely worth it.

An excellent and very very well written update.

The RN can add to the bag;

Fredrich Der Grosse
Baden
Makgraf
Kaiser
Kronprinz
Ostfriesland

Although it appears the Ostfriesland was sunk twice, once to a magazine explosion in a wing magazine and then to torpedoes, so perhaps there's a lil error there.

I'm trying to figure out what group of cripples are and should be this group here;

Konig, Grosser Kurfurst, Konig Albert and Kaiserin.

And this is the group the French have run into. All of the German ships are in a beat up condition and whilst their ships are superior to the French, they are in a far worse condition, battle damaged and with exhausted crews and flooding to deal with. Also we're not aware of what French ships are there, the Bretagne for sure, so we can assume her sisters are there as they always sailed as a division. The French didn't have any CL's worth a damn but they had a large number of armoured cruisers which they used in an escorting role, not to mention the French love affair with the torpedo boat and destroyer. I'm not sure if there would be any Courbet class ships there, as there's no need for them in the Med. Same with the Danton's.

Last edited:
Excellent battle scenes and so far a decisive victory for the RN.

Intresting butterflys for future RN battleship builds, i can see early adoption of turreted secondary armament with the ammunition feeds well behind the protective belt.

Looking forward to the next chapter, i have a feeling the french will be overconfident and roughly handled.

Will Moores Armoured cruisers be used as a scouting screen in an attempt to find the High Seas fleet?

I think I'm correct in noticing the ironic coincidence of the circling Baden due to rudder damage suffered from a torpedo hit - Bismark an enlarged updated 'Baden' met a similar fate!

Well what can I say !
For me, in the past,the best ATL Battle of Jutland was by "HMS Pinafore 's on warships1discussionboards. That set the benchmark for me on all ATL versions of the Battle of Jutland.
Well Perky50 you have set the new benchmark .
This will be very hard to beat -
and it still possibly not over !

Good morning all, thanks for having a look.

- In reply to Incognitia, and the minefields, HMS Abdiel would bt this point be sailing independently for home, after dropping her mines off the known swept channels to the Jade, how ever they mill gain no proper targets on this day

- In reply to Steamboy, no, it was Oldenburg lost to the magazine explosion.
As to the groups of survivors:
a) Westfalen, sailing independently, well into the Skagerrak, and leading the High Seas Fleet home

b) Konig, Grosser Kurfurst, Kaiserin, Konig Albert, these are the survivors of Behnke's battle squadron. He has succeeded on getting them to the Skagerrak as well.

c) Brandenburg, Prinz Regent Luitpold, and Helgoland, these are the survivors of the High Seas Fleet's 1st BS, under Admiral Schmidt. They have retired south toward the Jade after narrowly missing the Grand Fleet sweeping north toward the Skagerrak. They will soon be brought to task by the French. None of the three are considered fit for action at this point, and the French want blood ... it will not be pretty.

d) Fredrich der Grosse, still gadding about, by dawn's first light, well to the northern edge of the Jutland Bank. battered, bloodied, and against all odds, still afloat ... everyone on both sides missed this ship. due to factors beyond the ship's control, Fredrich der Grosse is not where she thinks she is ...

- in reply to brazen, yes there will be lots of new drivers for future builds, I'm thinking proper turreted secondaries and their assorted equipments being well up the list. As to the French, it will not be so much a matter of overconfidence as it will be 'returning a favour' ... and with the German squadron in no real shape to fight ...
---0---
Merlin, I never really thought of it that way, but I can see where that idea would come forward.
While not wanting to re-open the 'Baden-Bismarck debate hear, I do think that there was a certain influence on the 'new from the old'. My only qualifier to that would be post Baden designs, which I understand to be more linear and evolutionary improvements than of a more revolutionary measure, however my understanding with these is that they too were still weak in these areas One must also remember that a similar sort of a strike on any battleship of that era, or even after, will have similar effect.
---0---
I'll get a proper list of losses up a bit later, just crawling out of the rack at this point.
---0---
... and finally, to Battleshiplover ...
... I am very familiar with the work of HMS Pinafore, and to have my work compared to his is very humbling ... a very sincere thank you ...
---0---
Thanks to all for checking in and for your 'likes'

May I take this time to add once more that you should not forget to at least hit the 'like' tab on any of the entries on this site that you choose to follow. There are an abundance of talented authors and commentators here in the various different genre's available, and they deserve their support as well ... let 'em know you're out there!

keep those paddles in the water!

Last edited:
Ahh cheers for the update, with so many ships sailing around its easy to loose track of them and this is great writing, and I agree with Battleshiplover your stuff is as good as HMS Pinafore's.

Hello Donald Reaver, a fellow Canuck I see!
The next update will better explain, however mines and submersibles will be the least of these sailormen's worries.

... and thank you Paulo for your kind critique!

It's would be very interesting to see what ship designs come out of these battles. Do the British fall in love with the 15'' even more so and end up with some KGV or G3 style ship with quad 15'' turrets. Or do we see the desire to go full on L3 and N3 type designs.