Space Merchants-novel

Frederik Pohl and Cyril Kornbluth wrote a book called Space Merchants in which Ad agencies and big corporations take over the world.Could this happen today?BTW the novel was intended as satire and Pohl did work in advertising.Also, there is a Space Merchants alternate ending which was NOT used which continues the story on a bit.Should find it at Space Merchants Alternate ending.

I love Space Merchants, it's my second favorite SF novel after Foundation. IMO it's timeless, just as funny and relevant today as it was in the '50s (or if you took it back in time to the '20s even). Sometimes reading it, it feels more plausible than the real present, somehow. Managing to write a dystopia that's absurd, plausible and genuinely funny is quite the feat, and all the little references (the ships all being named after classical economists) are great fun to look for. I had no idea there's an alternate ending, there's a sequel Pohl wrote in the '80s that could've been good but was basically a rehash of the original story with inane '80s references :(

Last edited: