Interesting explanation!
One would be from a Shinto perspective, akin to what Kitabatake Chikafusa (he's born a little too late after the POD really starts affecting Japan, but an ATL twin of the same name should still appear) would write. The imperial line is eternal and granted by the gods to Japan, but fell into decline because the Emperor made personal mistakes (from appointing bad ministers to dividing the imperial family into two competing lines) and did not follow proper principles. This decline would obviously include losing his political power and having his subjects suffer under foreign rule. But if the Emperor followed correct principles and rituals, the nation's decline would be immediately reversed, since Japan is a divine land and Amaterasu promised it to the Imperial family. So it's a temporary situation and will end once the Emperor is just and appoints those with ability to the task.

IMO; at least the Shinto may seems to resemble to the Chinese Dynasties Cycle/Mandate of Heaven philosophy.

The tributary system in China has always been more of a theatre in conducting international diplomacy than a formal system of vassalage, at least outside of the Yuan dynasty. The way Vietnam had conducted theirs in imperial times has always been to do the bare minimum to acknowledge China as the 'superior' for the sake of trade, but otherwise, do everything in its power to retain independence. They've even forced the Mongols to do the same IOTL, though TTL might turn out differently. The Japanese polities on the mainland can do the same, if they choose, though management of trade with the outside world had long been handled independenly of state policy, or by clans specifically chosen as representatives, like the Sou clan in Tsushima.
Broadly true, but the situation in Japan is essentially the same situation as Goryeo, which both OTL and TTL is a Yuan province, albeit one with a special governmental structure which their elite very much protected and the Yuan court never really sought to change (outside of people like Hong Dagu and his sons, who petitioned for it OTL and failed). This is a little different from the typical Chinese tributary status and more or less a true vassal relationship. The Yuan set up provinces like these for all their invasions (including Vietnam, where it was Jiaozhi/Annam), but that province never functioned due to the failure of the invasion. In both Goryeo and Japan, the king of the respective nation is the head of the province.
IMO; at least the Shinto may seems to resemble to the Chinese Dynasties Cycle/Mandate of Heaven philosophy.
The distinction is that Amaterasu's gift to the Imperial Family is eternal. It never goes away and can never be transferred to anyone but the proper lineage, it just gets (temporarily) diminished. This is where you get the logic of "protecting" the imperial lineage from making stupid decisions which justified institutions like the Fujiwara regents and the Shogunates and since the late 19th century is deeply linked to Japanese nationalism. I suspect a scholar of TTL could justify the system of obedience to the Yuan under the same logic, perhaps by saying the ministers and generals of the Yuan are protecting the Emperor from making matters even worse and keeping him focused on his spiritual role.

Chapter 17-A Steadfast Defense
-XVII-
"A Steadfast Defense"

Kiyama Castle, Sanuki Province, May 31, 1300
In his mind, Akazawa Kiyotsune stood at perfect peace. Soon he would leave this old battered body, exchanging it for a new one that surely would be one step closer to his ultimate destination. The images in his mind of his warriors impaling themselves with their blades and knives faded--no doubt the worthy amongst them already were experiencing that new world for themselves, and they would guide him into the afterlife.

The punch to the face from the invader brute didn't even phase him, even as he noticed his jaw dislocated.

"Talk! Talk now!" shrieked the invader general behind him. "I, Chae Hong-chol, serve the rightful authority of the Great Khan. Speak now, or your death will only be that more miserable!"

"I serve only the Heavenly Sovereign and the dharma he upholds, not some barbarian who happens to rule China and whatever insigificant country you come from," Kiyotsune sneered, spitting blood and a tooth from his mouth. He braced himself as the brute punched him in the face again and again, finally gouging out an eye in an excruciating moment. It took all the strength he had to keep his tongue wrapped around that beautiful weapon, that tip of a blade which would bring him ultimate peace.

"Enjoying yourself, Lord Chae?" another voice of the invader said. Chae said something back in his own language, that Korean language Ogasawara could not understand. But from what he could tell, the other man was a certain Hong Jung-gyeon, a name he immediately recognised as one of the most important leaders of the invader. Were I but a little stronger, I might slay one or both of these men. Yet I will content myself in awaiting death with a peaceful mind.

"Don't waste your time here," Hong said, speaking in Chinese again. "We took that great fortress of theirs, and this man clearly aims at buying time for his allies."

"Hmph, I wish you would get back to Liaoyang already instead of interfering in the mission the Great Khan and his majesty the King of Goryeo has given us," Chae said, speaking sarcastically in Chinese. "I refuse to let the enemy die a simple death after how many of our men died trying to take his fortress."

"Who is he, anyway?" Hong asked. "How many prisoners do you have? My men could not find a single prisoner in or around the castle. They all found creative ways to kill themselves with their swords and knives. I've never heard of anything like this." From his remaining eye, Kiyotsune saw Hong walk closer to examine him.

"He calls himself Akazawa Kiyotsune," Chae answered. "Claimed to be the son of a great lord named 'Ogasawara Nagatsune,' whoever that was. He seems like an important man, so we can get information out of him."

Hong approached even closer and suddenly grabbed Kiyotsune by the hair.

"Do you know anything about the situation your army faces?" he asked. With a flick of his tongue, Kiyotsune spat blood into Hong's face. The invader recoiled back immediately.

"I leave it for your men to discover," Kiyotsune sneered. "Praise to the Buddha of Infinite Light!" he grunted, and with a deft motion of his tongue twisted the sword tip to the roof of his mouth. He bit down on it at once, and the whole world faded to darkness. Only the shouts of his annoyed captors remained as Kiyotsune achieved a final peace.

---
Near the Koutou River, Sanuki Province, July 11, 1300​

From atop a hill, Houjou Munekata observed the vast enemy force through squinted eyes. By their banners, they looked to be the usual mixture of warriors from Yuan and Goryeo. They seemed to be testing the waters of the river nearby (which Houjou had learned was called the Koutou) to see where they should ford it. I must hurry and ensure we ambush them. He ran back down the trail through the woods and came to the main camp, where several fellow lords sat waiting.

"The time is now--we can ambush them and win decisively," Munekata said. "Get your men ready for battle."

None said a word and one of them, Akiyama, continued to eat his bowl of rice. What is the matter with these people? If they had my drive to succeed, we would be the ones invading their countries!

"It is too early," one of them, Ashikaga Sadauji said. "If we attack now, we will merely waste our strength. It is better we waste their strength by forcing them to attack Yashima Castle."

Akiyama put down his bowl and nodded.

"We will divide our forces in Yashima and use the strength of the walls and the enemy's lack of mobility to erode their numbers, then we attack and crush them."

Munekata clenched his fist. Akiyama Mitsuie, one of those men who formerly served under that Takeda. Damn him.

"Then come and observe their force, all of you!" Munekata demanded. "Just climb that hill and you will see! Do not let this opportunity pass us by so that we suffer the same fate as the defenders of Ki! Recall that I am watching your conduct so that the Shogun--and his regent--might hear of it."

The lords looked at each other with disgruntled faces, but stood up anyway and followed Munekata up the hill. It is fortunate they understand who is their paymaster. They fanned out on the hillside, observing the enemy for themselves. They seemed to have found a good path across, where men and horses alike waded in fairly deep water.

"Hurry! Go raise your men!" Munekata whispered.

"Against a force of this magnitude?" Ashikaga protested.

"Lord Ashikaga is not necessarily wrong," Akiyama pointed out. "And neither is Lord Houjou necessarily right. If we go about this, we are taking an extreme gamble."

"We've already taken too many of those at Ki Castle and against that pirate Sashi Kisou in Awaji," Ashikaga complained.

"The cat who does not catch the mouse in front of him starve," Munekata said. "The same is true in the world of men."

---
Near the Koutou River, Sanuki Province, July 11, 1300​

Infuriation rose within Hong Jung-gyeon as he watched through thick gunsmoke of enemy after enemy charging out of the forests and hills on the other side of the river. Somehow, those Japanese managed to ambush his force. There were not supposed to be this many Japanese here! Just what the hell was that useless bastard Chae Hong-chol and his scouts doing!

"Lord Hong, we should cross the river and aid Chae," one of his captains suggested. If we do it quickly and correctly, we will strike the enemy's flank and rout him. He must have numbered less than us when this battle--"

"No," Hong said, cutting him off. "I refuse to aid Chae any more than I already am. Ensure our archers remain supplied with arrows and bolts and our gunners with bullets and powder."

"As that is your strategy, we could deploy our artillery to aid Chae's retreat," the subordinate said.

"We cannot afford to lose a single machine. Now get out of here and do what I've already told you."

Many of the men were already wading across the river, a sign the retreat was ongoing. Arrows struck the slow-moving men and horses, ensuring plenty of corpses floated down an increasingly red river. Once we finish our retreat, we need only find another place to cross. Then we will eliminate this enemy force, no doubt the garrison of that Yashima Castle, and easily take their base without any long and irksome siege.

Hong rode forward, bannerman at his side waving both Goryeo and Yuan standards. Trumpets blew as he tried to inspire the warriors back into action to take up positions. This time I will cross that river, now that we know the enemy's strategy. Chae can send his men around and--

"Lord Hong, the enemy is on this side of the river!" the bannerman shouted, disrupting him from his thoughts. Sure enough, it was clear the enemy was now flooding across the river toward the distance. Their cavalry came in first, eager to taste blood. They waved that banner with three stacked triangles that Hong knew belonged to the Houjou clan, the masters of their Shogunate and their most bitter foe.

"Get the bombs! Now!" Hong shouted as an arrow caught his armour. A senior officer rode toward them, his armour peppered with arrows.

"L-Lord Chae is...is d-dead...we must retreat," the man said. Hong shoved the man from his horse, ensuring he was trampled underfoot by those soldiers following his foolish orders. Damn this coward!

"Reform a new line and intercept the incoming enemy charge!" Hong shouted, waving his sword. "Bannermen, we charge them! The Japanese ride inferior steeds to our own!"

Hong and his warriors wheeled about, racing toward those men waving the Houjou banners. Arrows flew from either side as the Houjou men tried to break off to either side, but the speedy, quick Mongol cavalry of his men would not allow that. Man and horse clashed as Hong fought for his life amidst the screeches and screams of battle. Soon the infantry of both sides would catch up to them as their battlelines reform--the situation was salvageable despite Chae's failure.

Out of the corner of his eye, he could've sworn he spotted an authoritative man, standing atop his fallen horse with his helmet cleaved in two. He fought for the other side with a dominating presence. But Hong ignored him--it was better to let his men finish that enemy commander off than bother with him personally, no matter how much trouble he had given Hong.

But even that focus was too much, for in an instance, his horse collapsed to the ground and an enemy fell atop him, knocking away his sword. Hong tried to rise to his feet, but was dragged away in an instant. He clambered to his feet, grasping at the man before noticing he was an ally who drew him back from the center of the melee. Hong took a deep breath--I cannot let myself be too drawn into the fight, lest I perish as my father did. The results of the fight shall be far more interesting than the fight itself.

---
Shangdu, Zhongshu Region, Great Yuan, October 1, 1300​

Temur Khan squinted at the scroll containing the complaint before him. Two Goryeo generals should not be having an argument that need escalate all the way to the court of the Great Khan. If it wasn't for his good acquaintance--and cousin--Ijirbukha, known to his subjects as the former king of Goryeo Chungseon, he would have left it in the hands of someone like his new chancellor Fan Wenhu, knowledgeable of Japanese affairs as he was, and let justice be done. But Chungseon implored that as Great Khan, he personally administer justice to his wayward subjects. Chungseon stood before him, answering questions and discussing Goryeo's internal matters.

"Kim Heun is a loyal subject of King Chungnyeol," Chungseon explained as the two discussed one of the men involved in the dispute. "But only King Chungnyeol, for he respects not the son of his master. Although he claims he honours his fathers memory, in truth he respects him not, for he does not seek to serve Goryeo but only his own ambition."

Temur nodded, wondering just how much Chungseon exaggerated. He bears much ill-will toward Kim Heun. How natural, given Kim and his family helped send him into exile.

"It cannot be denied that Kim has performed far better than his rival Hong Jung-gyeon," Temur said. "He has taken much land from those Japanese who refuse my authority, much more than Hong managed."

"Th-that is true, your majesty," Chungseon replied, reluctant to praise him.

"I have met Hong Jung-gyeon in the past, first when he served in the kheshig and then when he loyally served his eminent father. Kim should not add slander to his dislike of Hong."

"Ex-exactly!" Chungseon said. "He slanders one of your loyal vassals!" Chungseon looked at one of his adjutants standing beside him. "Hong Yak, please describe your cousin's virtues. [1]"

"Yes, your honour," Hong said. "Oh majesty, please intercede on behalf of Lord Hong Jung-gyeon, son of Hong Dagu, for he led our forces valiantly. Even as the corrupt Kim Heun and his crony Chae Hong-chol challenged him at every moment and led our men to disaster, Lord Hong succeeded at saving countless of your majesty's subjects from death and ruin! He is a brilliant mind as a soldier, a scholar, and a minister, and has made not a single error in this campaign."

Had Temur not heard countless men both wicked and just described in such a way, he'd be furious at such empty praise of a kinsman. Even so, Hong Jung-gyeon's record held fast--he succeeded well in his duties in occupied Japan, responsibly followed orders from the government, and assisted his family in their task of reconstructing Liaoyang. It almost seemed strange that he lost a battle so crucial.

"Yet the matter remains that Hong Jung-gyeon was defeated by the Kamakura rebels," Temur said. "Chae Hong-chol has already paid with his life, but Hong Jung-gyeon has paid nothing. A good ruler must correct the failures of his generals."

"Y-yes, that is true," Chungseon said. "Hong Jung-gyeon is not without his failings. He is arrogant and views the Mongol way as superior to his own, and those who serve under him make mockery of the traditions of their Goryeo ancestors."

Temur took one look at the request and then glanced at Chungseon and Hong. It is a shame I did not call anyone from Kim's family. From what he knew, Kim Heun held an astounding record of service, having excelled in the wars of the Yuan for 30 years, most of those years spent leading Goryeo's warriors against Japan or suppressing his own rebellious countrymen. He could likely learn more if he only had someone willing to speak in Kim's favour. Yet he already decided his mind on this affair.

"Chae Hong-chol is to be blamed for this disaster," Temur decreed. "Hong is to be blamed for poor decisions made in the heat of the moment, and he must apologise before me. As for Kim Heun, he too must be reminded of the principles of meritocracy that govern our nation. He erred in appointing his brother-in-law to lead such a vital expedition, and he must apologise for his failings."

Chungseon looked puzzled at the results as his adjutant's eyes widened in horror.

"So no man is to be truly punished for this?"

"Their punishment is humiliating themselves before the entire court," Temur replied. "Even if I will likely be removing Goryeo's army from that particular campaign. They are attacking such a small island of Japan, but after three years they have so little to show for it. Other men will carry out that task instead."

That comment brought the same horror to Chungseon's face. He is protecting his countrymen's position even while in exile. Yet he must realise they are all my subjects, and my subjects must bring me results at the job I assign them. Tread carefully, former--and no doubt future--King of Goryeo.

---
Outside Einousan Castle, Iyo Province, October 19, 1300​

Korguz grinned with joy, slamming back the jug of Chinese liquor into his mouth. The harsh taste overwhelmed his senses for a moment as all sorts of flavours and aromas filled his mouth and throat and stomach. Truly the Chinese make the best liquor. Our ancestors chose well when they conquered that land. He let out a cheer, reciprocated by his men--at last they were outside the gates of the greatest castle on this island. Once it fell, the enemy's defeat was certain.

"God has blessed us much indeed, brother Korguz," his younger brother Johanon said. He noticed Johanon held the head of an enemy warrior, its face frozen in agony from the moment of decapitation.

"Yes, praise the Lord for our victory!" Korguz agreed. "And your recent victory as well, brother. Where did you get that head?"

"The enemy is scouting our camp again. I slew a few, but their captain managed to escape," Johanon reported. Korguz's brow furrowed and he took another sip from the jug of liquor. Even at a time like this, they STILL persist on attacking us?

"Meaningless. If he wants to be destroyed over the course of months instead of hours, we will gladly oblige," Korguz said. He stared up at the hillside, where the high walls of Einousan glared down upon him. "Tighten patrols around the hillside flank and hurry up the construction of our own forts. Once they can't reinforce or resupply those pests, our work here will be finished."

"I've already given those orders, my good brother," Johanon said. Korguz's head became to feel pleasantly hazy as he continued staring intently at Einousan's walls.

"I wonder how a church would look within those walls? The walls enclose such a grand amount of land, we could build a grand church indeed and it would be safe from these heathens until God's light shines upon them."

"I am certain we will," Johanon said. "But shall we consult your good friend first, that friar from the Latins?"

"Ha, that friar called Giovanni? I'll build one for him too. We all know my own chaplains will want the first church on this island," Korguz answered. He's a pesky and irritating man, that monk from the West. But he's the only man I've ever met capable of stumping my priests on theology [2].

"Once that castle falls, I am sure God will work wonders in this land," Johanon mused.

"May he do so. But first, we must work our own wonders and bring down the heathen in his own home." Korguz offered the jug to his brother. "Let us drink to the impending victory!"
---
Einousan Castle, Sanuki Province, November 1, 1300​

An increasing chill filled Houjou Mototoki as he paced back and forth on the walls of the castle. The enemies campfires seemed to grow more numerous every night, while all the news he heard was nothing short of terrible. Even looking toward the sea, Mototoki saw lights, clearly the light of men unloading ships by torchlight to feed and arm the vast host camping beneath the walls of Einousan.

"Will this be the end for us, Muneyasu?" Mototoki asked his kinsmen and deputy he always looked to for advice. "Everyone here is wounded and we're gravely outnumbered."

"We must leave our fate to the heavens," Muneyasu answered. "We are facing a great horde of barbarians, and I am certain they will make a mistake we might exploit."

"If only father were still around, then we would not be having this problem," Mototoki said.

"Your father worked hard to secure the Shogunate, so hard that the gods themselves demanded he take a break," Muneyasu replied. "Now it is in our hands to continue his work."

Rustling behind them alerted them to the presence of a vassal

"Lord Houjou," a vassal whom Mototoki recognised as Kawano Michisada said, kneeling before him. Barely more than a boy, his face had a freshly-healed gash and his nose seemed broken, no doubt from fighting his way through here. "I have news from my father, Lord Kawano."

"Kawano is still unable to relieve the siege of this castle, correct?" Muneyasu said.

"Y-yes," the youth said. "The enemy is flexible in their patrols and is hurrying building siegeworks every day. And...those great fires you see, those are the bodies of farmers and fishermen who have died during the construction," Kawano said. Mototoki winced as he looked at a particularly bright flame in the distance.

"Horrible. We are truly dealing with the worst barbarians," Mototoki said.

"You must have gotten close to their camp. What else was there? What is the enemy like?" Muneyasu interrogated.

"Their sentries are strong, but I heard the sound of much music and laughter from further within the camp. Their leaders are enjoying themselves with little care for us."

Mototoki grit his teeth, frustrated the enemy mocked them like that by holding a party beneath their walls.

"Is Lord Hosokawa still active?" he asked.

"Yes, he and my father are working together well in keeping the enemy from ravaging our fields."

"Good enough," Muneyasu said. "We are fortunate things are not going worse." Muneyasu looked toward the sea, noticing for himself the torchlights. "Kutsuna, Murakami, Kumano...just like our fleet, none of those navies could do their job."

"Indeed. This will be the last time I contact you directly. My father dare not take more grave risks," the young Kawano said.

"If Kawano Michitada cannot take those risks, he should either join his father, or join the enemy [3]," Muneyasu spoke mockingly.

"Do not make such light of betrayal at a time like this!" Mototoki shouted, condemning his deputy. One look at Muneyasu's disgusted face showed that to have been a terrible mistake.

"Don't speak to me ever again like that, boy," Muneyasu growled. "And never, ever in front of the Shogun's vassal."

"Y-yes, Lord Muneyasu," Mototoki muttered. He could not go against Muneyasu--his own Fuonji branch of the Houjou clan was bankrupt thanks to funding Shikoku's defense, and with the way the invasion was going, unlikely to regain that wealth anytime soon. But Muneyasu was rich and well-connected within the Houjou clan--what choice did he have?

"I apologise for witnessing such a scene and will speak nothing of it," Kawano said, bowing his head.

"No need," Muneyasu said. "You are not leaving this castle."

"Wh-why not, my lord?" Kawano asked.

"Your father is unreliable, and your uncle Michitane even moreso," Muneyasu explained with grim satisfaction. "You will remain at Einousan so your father does not forget what he owes to the Houjou and your cousin can make up his mind whether he seeks to betray his Shogun and Emperor."

"I am aware you have disputes with my father over our clan's land, and that Michitane dislikes the way the court ruled against him, but there is no need to take such actions. Our clan will fight our best against the invader, just as we always have done."

"Temper your greed for the lands the former Iyo Tandai granted you," Muneyasu said. Annoyance filled Mototoki at the way Muneyasu spoke of his father. "Do your duty as a vassal of the Shogun--follow his commands and fight where you are told. Only by doing so will you play the proper role in defending our nation."

---
Onishi Castle (大西城), Awa Province, November 2, 1300​

On a cold autumn day, Ashikaga Sadauji rode through yet another gate of Onishi Castle, his small force behind him. In front of him rode Ogasawara Nagauji, grandson of the military governor. Compared to other fortifications, Onishi greatly impressed him. Six rings of wooden walls surrounded the site, with the innermost ring surrounded by four wooden towers the likes of which Ashikaga rarely saw. As he passed it on the way to the main keep, he was impressed to see it was a modified storehouse [4]. They say engineers from the long-vanished Kingdom of Baekje built Einousan, Kiyama, and the ruins of Yashima, so this castle must surely be the most imposing on this island designed by Japanese hands. Should I fortify my own land as the Ogasawara have, I would never need worry of those thugs the Nitta clan employ.

"Your clan owns quite the fortification here, Lord Ogasawara," Sadauji said, complementing Ogasawara Nagauji. "Were each castle as strong as this, we'd have thrown the invader into the sea twenty years ago."

"Indeed," he said. "And now that Kiyama has fallen, its position among the greatest castles of this island has moved to second rank."

"Do not pride yourself in the invincibility of your fortress," sneered Houjou Munekata, listening in on them from behind. "If Kiyama can fall, than so can your own." Sadauji thought he heard him mutter something about the Ogasawara being lucky Muneyasu didn't demand more from them, and he knew well that Munekata's kinsman Muneyasu, that deputy Iyo Tandai, was not a well-liked figure among Shikoku's lords.

"No matter. We know well everything decays in the end," Ogasawara said. "But until it does, it shall stand high."

Many soldiers stood in front of the main keep, flanking Ogasawara's father Nagamasa. Some were injured, clearly from their bravery in repelling the attack earlier that day.

"I am glad you're still doing well, father," Ogasawara said, leaping from his horse and bowing before him. "Is grandfather doing well?"

"He is resting after repelling that great assault earlier," Nagamasa said. The older man turned to Sadauji. "And you, Lord Ashikaga, have you made contact with the warriors in the field like my cousins Nagamune and Nagachika or that Lord Akiyama you brought?"

"I have done so, Lord Ogasawara," Sadauji said, pointing to a fresh cut on his cheek from a skirmish earlier. He looked back at their baggage train, where several carts full of sacks sat hitched to horses and even an ox. "Together we captured a significant amount of supplies, mostly food. Akiyama and your cousins remain in the field, searching for the enemy."

"Wonderful," Nagamasa said. "With this, they can erase the shame of their older brother's failures."

"All the moreso if they help us take the enemy leader's head," Houjou said. "For a dying man told us that we face Shouni Kagetsune, heir of the great traitor Shouni Kagesuke himself [5]." Ogasawara Nagamasa's eyes widened, and his guards began whispering amongst each other.

"Do not trust the delirious words of the dying so easily, Lord Houjou," Sadauji cautioned. "We are dealing with an army of rebels and traitors who serve the invader, and they have every reason to lead us into their trickery."

"Believe what you will, Lord Ashikaga," Houjou said. "How often have I been wrong in these times since I have been your commander? Without my decisive advice, we would have never broken up the enemy attack at Ki so thoroughly, we could not have defeated that pirate army in Awaji, and we would have never killed that Goryeo general and half his army."

"I see your point," Ashikaga conceded. "But not every opportunity need be seized. Our current strategy is effective enough. Once your kinsmen in the Kinai save Kyoto and lead our forces to victory, the enemy will surely retreat from here. We need not hunt their leader now, for he will face judgement one day, either from the heavens or from our Emperor and his Shogun."

"No matter," interjected Nagamasa, trying to defuse the tension. "We still have a supply of sake in this castle. Perhaps we shall hold one final feast before the siege deepens?"

"Hmph, I have no interest in a feast unless the heads of my enemies can watch in envy," Houjou said. "You may stay here if you desire, Lord Ashikaga, but I must return to the battlefield."

Ashikaga looked at the younger Ogasawara and his father, and pointed in Houjou's direction.

"I am tempted to follow him for the sake of our success, yet I will indulge you on your offer," he said. "Flesh and blood of my enemies does not sustain me. I look forward to what you will prepare for us, unworthy as myself and my retainers are to receive what limited hospitality you may offer in such a time like this." The enemy will return by tomorrow morning, but the memory of inhospitality takes far longer to fade. I will keep up our relations with the Ogasawara and local lords of Awa while Lord Houjou deals with our enemies. Whatever accolades he may win by war, I will win by peace.

---​

As the Mongols advanced throughout 1300 and into 1301, one area in particular--the Island of Shikoku--saw considerable resistance. The lords of Shikoku proved incredibly resistant to Mongol overtures and fought tenaciously in battle. Led by the Houjou clan's Iyo Tandai and including several thousand reinforcements under generals from Honshu like Takeda Tokitsuna's subordinate Akiyama Mitsuie and notable samurai from the Kanto such as Ashikaga Sadauji, the Shikoku warriors proved a constant thorn in the Mongols' s ide.

The warriors of Akiyama Mitsuie constantly struck the Mongol supply lines in Sanuki, ensuring the siege of Kiyama dragged on for months and months. An epidemic in the Mongol ranks weakened their forces, although spread to the defenders inside. The commander, Ogasawara Nagatane, died of starvation in March, but his uncle Akazawa Kiyotsune (赤沢清経) continued the fervent resistance.

The castle did not fall until May 30, 1300, marking a siege of nearly 13 months. Thousands of starved defenders committed suicide in one of the greatest incidents of seppuku in Japanese history. Akazawa let himself be taken prisoner where he mocked the enemy and informed them of the hopelessness of their cause. As he was being tortured, Akazawa committed suicide using the tip of a broken sword he concealed in his mouth.

In the south of the island, Miura Tokiaki returned to his army and invaded Tosa Province in 1300, where in May of that year he was met by a vengeful Utsunomiya Yasumune and Chousokabe Shigetaka. Miura chose to attack this larger force, bating the impetuous Utsunomiya into another direct confrontation. Utsunomiya charged as expected, and he perished to a wall of Mongol arrows--Miura decapitated his corpse and took his head. While this unnerved the Shogunate center, Chousokabe broke the flanks of Miura's army and forced his retreat. Tosa was thus saved from Mongol invasion, although Miura claimed it a success from the sheer number of enemy dead.

In Awaji Province, Sashi Kisou and his pirates ran into difficulties thanks to Ashikaga Sadauji's and Houjou Munekata's reinforcements. With few cavalry, Sashi and his men lacked the ability to repel the skilled horse archery practiced by his enemies and suffered numerous defeats. In desperation, they chose to assault Yagiyakata (養宜館), the fortification in which Naganuma Munehide governed Awaji from. In the process, Sashi lost nearly half his army even as he took Naganuma's head.

Although it was possible to crush Sashi's forces, Ashikaga instead chose to continue onward to Shikoku, using the temporary absence of Sashi's fleet to cross the narrow strait. He united with the force of Akiyama Mitsuie and the remnants of Shogunate forces in the area. Unaware of Ashikaga's movements, Hong Jung-gyeon and Chae Hong-chol advanced toward the ruins of Yashima Castle to finish their conquest of Sanuki. Their epidemic-weakened army contained only 10,000 men, making it not much larger than the force Houjou, Ashikaga, and Akiyama assembled.

While Ashikaga advised waiting until the Mongols had settled into their siege, Houjou Munekata decided to attack immediately. He ambushed Hong and Chae as their army crossed the Koutou River (香東川). Akiyama's charge shook up the enemy vanguard, separated by the river crossing and killing Chae in the process. Thousands died as the enemy tried fleeing back across the river, under heavy arrow fire in the process. Houjou's men crossed the river as well, attempting to attack Hong's flank. Hong prepared for this and resisted heavily, wounding Houjou in the process as the Mongol force managed to make an organised retreat.

The Battle of Koutou-gawa was the largest victory thus far for the Japanese on Shikoku. Around 5,000 Goryeo soldiers died in the battle, greatly shaking up the enemy command. Kim Heun, leader of the invasion, was furious at his brother in law's death and blamed Hong for deliberately leading him to his death. Hong proclaimed his innocence and accused Kim of placing his own brother-in-law in charge of the force as proof of his corruption.

Both men appealed to the Yuan court to increase their power. However, Temur Khan was in no mood to hear complaints such as this. Hong was publically criticised for his failure to win the battle, but blame lay on Chae for his decision to cross the river. The result owed much to the influence of former king Chungseon, who after his abdication spent his time at Temur Khan's court. Chungseon bore a grudge against Kim and Chae for their role in the political purge of his favourite wife's kin, ensuring Hong won the dispute.

In the end, Goryeo forces were ordered to abandon the Shikoku campaign. Kim retained command due to another personal intervention from King Chungnyeol, but his surviving men were sent to Harima Province to serve as a rearguard for Khayishan. They would spend 1300 and 1301 subduing the province's many fortified manors and clashing with Akamatsu and Kusunoki's akutou. They did, however, receive reinforcements of 5,000 warriors, dispatched by King Chungnyeol in the belief that more Goryeo soldiers might serve to keep the Hong family in check. Goryeo's warriors would prove important as the Mongols advanced toward Kyushu, for they checked the southern advances to the capital.

In their place, the Kingdom of Japan extensively recruited a new army to invade Shikoku. The commander was Shouni Kagesuke's heir, his grand-nephew Shouni Kagetsune (少弐景経). He arrived with 8,000 warriors from Kyushu, including many veterans who had participated in the invasion of the Ryukyus. This veteran army besieged Yashima Castle and drove off Akiyama's relief force. The ancient fortification's ruined walls posed little threat, and by October 1, Shouni captured Yashima through slowly eliminating the warriors who could not defend such a wide-open castle. Afterwards, he moved south for an attack on Tosa.

There they were blocked by Onishi Castle (大西城), commanded by the elderly Ogasawara Nagamasa (小笠原長親), military governor of Awa and cousin of the defeated Nagatane. Ogasawara greatly improved Onishi's defenses due to his defensive strategy. Even with only a few thousand men garrisoning the castle, it held fast against Shouni's army thanks to Ashikaga and Akiyama constantly raiding Shouni's supply line. The siege dragged on for months and months, with each assault fervently resisted.

Despite its fortifications lacking the great strength and sheer size of Kiyama or Einousan, Onishi Castle proved a crucial strongpoint, for it blocked the routes to the wealthy remainder of Awa Province as well as Tosa. Located on a high hill overlooking the swift Yoshida River and its adjacent floodplain, the Ogasawara clan long believed it might serve as the fortress from which they one day might rule all Shikoku [6]. Ogasawara Nagamasa knew well that should his castle hold off the Mongols, that dream would become closer to reality--as a result, he called 500 retainers down from Shinano Province in Honshu, the province his clan hailed from. These men can be seen as not just reinforcements, but the Ogasawara attempting to stake their claim to the future of Shikoku.

As the siege of Onishi began, a crisis emerged in Iyo Province. There, Kawano Michitada's army gradually eroded due to attacks from Korguz and Miura's warriors. He abandoned defending the province and sent a subordinate, Hosokawa Kimiyori, to the walls of Einousan Castle, the last remaining fortress of any note in Iyo. On October 19, Korguz laid siege to this immense castle, preparing to destroy the seat of the Iyo Tandai. Only small raids Kawano led hindered the two Mongol generals from launching a direct attack on the fortification. Although Shogunate resistance remained as strong as their fortifications, they faced overwhelming odds.

Author's notes
---​
This entry has been finished for a while, but got split into three sections due to length. I apologise to anyone who was confused by how the Goryeo forces on Shikoku got back to Honshu, since that was due to the aforementioned split.

It's a fairly short chapter, but the Shikoku side story has turned out to be fairly interesting to me given the figures involved--all of whom besides Houjou Munekata had some OTL link to Shikoku--are related to quite powerful and notorious clans of the Muromachi era and were essentially the people overthrown by the lords of the later Sengoku. I feel it demonstrates well the extent of Japanese resistance and its effectiveness, particularly when the enemy is not fighting at full strength. I guess that's why I really went overboard with the dialogue, as much as I keep telling myself to stop with that.

The next chapter will return to the battles in the Kinki region and the Mongol advance on Kyoto, and will hopefully be posted in 1-2 weeks. As ever, thanks for reading.

[1] - Hong Yak (洪鑰) was probably a nephew of Hong Dagu (possibly the son of Hong Dagu's younger brother Hong Gun-song). He is poorly attested, but it appears he and his brother (name not known) were adjutants to King Chungseon and considered model ministers, described as "two worthies" and "truly pillars of the empire" in a poem dedicated to them by 14th century scholar-poet Jie Xisi (揭傒斯). It doesn't seem this poem refers to their cousins, Hong Jung-gyeon and Hong Jung-hui.
[2] - Some sources state Korguz was converted to Catholicism by the missionary (and later bishop) Giovanni da Montecorvino, but it seems he likely remained Nestorian and simply provided patronage to Giovanni's mission out of respect for him.
[3] - Michitada and this Kawano, Michisada (河野通貞), are son and grandson respectively of Kawano Michiari, who as I noted, died in the 1281-85 Kou'an Invasion (unlike OTL, where he served with distinction and survived)
[4] - ATL strengthening of Onishi Castle. It probably was not this large or strong until later centuries, and this sort of castle design would place it as at the cutting edge of Japanese fortifications not seen IOTL until the wars at the end of the Kamakura Shogunate
[5] - OTL Shouni Sadatsune (少弐貞経), 5th (some sources say 6th) head of the Shouni clan. His name is different for ITTL, his father and grandfather are dead by the time he came of age and his guardian Shouni Kagesuke has so much animosity against the Houjou he would never accept an offer like his heir receiving a kanji from Houjou Sadatoki's name at his coming of age ceremony. I've debated doing this with other OTL figures who share one of Sadatoki's kanji, but haven't really figured out a concrete policy on what to do with that
[6] - At least one theory suggests this was the case, and it seems logical given the Ogasawara clan's strength and the fact their castle lay near the center of the island on trade routes linking three of the four provinces. Alas, it was not to be given the Hosokawa and then the Chousokabe ended up the regional powerhouses instead of the Ogasawara or their prominent branch family, the Miyoshi.

Last edited:
Nice chapter, shifting command like that will mess up the troops in Japan but could also see them make better progress with a fresh commander and while the Shogunate forces can use the time to reinforce their positions, they risking an attack could result in a disaster or a breakthrough

I still believe Shogunate has the time and capacity to deal a heavy blow to the invaders. But mongols and their japanese vassals aren’t screw up like Goreyo, so little hope is left.

Chapter 18-Bridge to Destiny
-XVIII-
"Bridge to Destiny"

Near Yagi Castle (八木城), Tanba Province, April 20, 1301​

Mouri Tokichika shook his head as pyres were lit. We suffered far too many losses here. He saw atop the nearest pyre the body of a monk, recognising it as one of the enemy's warrior monks, those who proved the most dangerous foe. Turning back to the quarters of the commanders, he noticed Burilgitei himself observing the pyres.

"We share the same recognition, Lord Mouri," the Mongol leader said. "The enemy proved a powerful foe. I have fought many fools under the banner of those three triangles, but even a fool might always surprise."

"Had I issued different orders to our scouts, then--"

"There was nothing you could have done," Burilgitei said. "The enemy knew the terrain better than any of our men, the rain dampened our powder and bombs, and our foe knows well not to pursue us too far. We must take heed, especially when dealing with those monks."

"Perhaps we can deal with those monks the same way we always have," Tokichika advised. "We can destroy their monasteries and ensure they don't hinder our army as we advance toward Kyoto."

"I have considered that, but I lack the resources," he said. "They say those are vast temples who command warrior monks from across your entire country. We would draw away too few of them to make it worth the effort."

"All we need is a single mingghan per monastery," Tokichika suggested. "I can send--"

"No," Burilgitei said. "I do not trust your Japanese warriors when dealing with these monks. Your men prove unreliable in battle, and will prove unreliable if told to attack even a single monastery. Nor do I trust my own men, for just like at Itsukushima, they will bring needless devastation and cause unnecessary offense."

Burilgitei's explanation was strange, but understandable. Tokichika recalled how many of his own men complained about the great destruction at Itsukushima. Even three years later, Shinto priests still were trying to purify the island.

"Itsukushima is a place all of our people mourned for," Tokichika said. "But few will mourn for those temples as their greed and corruption are legendary. The capital we are attacking now only exists for the wickedness of those temples [1]."

"It is not as if I was planning on sparing them punishment," Burilgitei said. "My soldiers would never permit their wealth to go unplundered. Yet there is a time and place for all deeds. They will meet destruction on the day fate demands it."

"Then I will redouble my efforts to make sure my men might follow fate's decrees," Tokichika said. "My scouts will know every path and my warriors will not take a single step back. Thank you for this conversation, Lord Burilgitei." As he walked away from his commander, thoughts gnawed at his mind. I must keep those warriors trained and motivated. We Japanese must not be the weak point in the army of the Great Yuan, for if we are, then our nation shall surely perish in this chaotic age.

---
Gantoku-ji, Yamashiro Province, July 1, 1301​

Yamana Toshiyuki looked carefully at his co-conspirators in the tent in the sweltering summer heat, discerning their motives for joining him. Surrounded by this many potential foes, the mission had to be carried out carefully. The fate of all Japan--and his clan--lay in the balance.

"Do you actually stand a chance of gaining control of this army, Lord Yamana?" a warrior from nearby Mino Province named Hatakeyama Tokikuni asked. "If you kill a leader, you don't win his follower's allegiance."

"Each and every warrior in this force understands the issues we face. We're led by incompetent fools who extort our income and give nothing back. We fall into debt, and they do not aid us. And now these leaders have fallen totally under the thumb of the Imperial Court, who benefits from our debt to those corrupt temples and merchants who serve them. Not a single warrior of Japan is unaffected by the issues we face. They will understand me well."

The other men in the tent nodded at Toshiyuki's words, but Hatakeyama seemed unconvinced. Toshiyuki eyed him carefully--Hatakeyama was an Ashikaga after all, one who left the side of his master only because of supposed wounds he suffered at Ki Castle. The Ashikaga and Houjou are too close, and this man will serve their interests over our own. But there are people from any family who might betray their kin to gain an advantage--I pray he is one of them.

"There are warrior monks from as far away as the Kantou encamped alongside us. Those damnable court nobles have made sure we can't carry out this plot," Hatakeyama protested.

"We won't be fighting them, for as I told you, I am ordering a general retreat away from the frontlines. We'll be sending thousands of men to both Kamakura and Kyoto and tell those effete court nobles and that bastard Houjou Sadatoki that we must be properly compensated for our service. Are we clear now?"

Hatakeyama nodded, as did the other men.

"Perfect," Toshiyuki said with a smile. "The half of you sitting on the right of this tent are to accompany me to deal with Houjou Munenobu. The other half of you shall spread word of our righteous cause in the camp once the signal is given and slay those leaders who refuse to join us. Stay vigilant, and do not falter. The warriors of our nation are depending on us."

---
Yodo Castle (淀城), Yamashiro Province, July 14, 1301​

"If he won so dramatically, then that means Burilgitei will be attacking Kyoto soon, my lord," Khayishan's strategist Bayan said, intepreting the envoy's message. Khayishan took a deep breath, continuing to drink from his sweet bowl of kumis, a much-needed respite from the strategic planning and battles. His body still ached from the recent battle. Yet Khayishan understood what Burilgitei's arrival meant--another challenger in seizing Kyoto.

"Hmm...Burilgitei's forces will be exhausted from all their fighting, and I doubt he commands more than 10,000 men at this point. He will rely on us for assistance...no, in fact he must rely on us. I'll make sure Nanghiyadai tells the other commanders to be stingy with their troops."

"Are you seeking a confrontation with him, my lord?" Bayan asked.

"No, no, not at all. But it is good to remind one's future subordinates that you are the source of their success, rather than the other way around."

"Be careful with those words around the Great Khan," Bayan warned. "Prince Daishu will surely become crown prince and then the Great Khan himself."

"If he lives long enough," Khayishan said. When I arrived in this country, that whelp hadn't even been born yet. How ridiculous some already think of him as the heir! "So many infants his age return to the heavens every year. Or perhaps he himself will never have an heir and be forced to rely on his victorious cousin. Fate might have any number of things in store for us."

"You speak quite openly, my prince."

"The Great Khan sits far away from this place and busies himself with all manner of things. Now Bayan, I believe there is a guest at the door."

A soldier standing guard opened the door, and a young woman walked through. Her clearly Japanese appearance contrasted with the jacket and robes of a Mongol noblewoman, to say nothing of her tall gugu headdress. Bayan looked at Khayishan with worried eyes.

"The Secretary of Zhengdong practically paraded his daughter in front of me," Khayishan explained. "I believe his name is Miura Yorimori? He is a useful dog, keeps our armies full of men, and quells the ambitions of the more foolish Japanese." The woman lay next to him, pouring more kumis into his cup.

"Be wary of taking a concubine from subject peoples, my lord," Bayan warned. "Even if her family is powerful, there are women from other families who will benefit you further. It is also unwise to bring her to this battlefield."

"We have practically won this campaign," Khayishan said. "Soon the autumn rains will begin and then winter follows. The enemy's capital will have fallen by then. Speaking of which..." Khayishan pondered the challenge. "Let's send those men from Goryeo south. They are doing nothing here besides taking up our supplies."

"A reasonable proposal for Nanghiyadai to hear," Bayan said.

"And then we'll send Zhang Gui toward the enemy capital itself so he can begin the siege. If Shi Bi ever decides to do something besides smash insignificant enemy fortifications, he should go north of Kyoto and destroy the citadel of those monks, I believe it is called Mount Hiei," Khayishan explained.

"What will Burilgitei--and our army--be doing?"

"We will claim twice the glory. First we use Burilgitei's help to crush that last Japanese army for good, and then we ride into Kyoto as soon as Zhang opens the doors. Victory will be ours."

His concubine offered him more kumis, but Khayishan refused her.

"No more. Save this for my next success." He smiled--first it would be his victory over that Japanese army, and then it would be the conquest of their capital.

---
Near Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, July 15, 1301​

Houjou Munenobu watched his tattered army set up camp near an old temple. Warriors stood around supervising the peasant recruits carrying supplies, while monks sat on the ground meditating even in the fierce sun. Even if they won the battle two days prior, their morale was non-existant and they still had been forced to retreat. Another battle like that, and I will surely have lost. A messenger walked up to him, bowing.

"My lord, I bring you news of Lord Houjou Hirotoki's army," the messenger, a warrior he dealt with several times in the past by the name of Sasaki Muneuji said. Munenobu sighed, resigning himself to more bad news.

"Please tell me," he spoke, straight and direct.

"We face difficulty. The enemy has broken through at Kameoka, and Lord Hirotoki is severely injured."

Munenobu bowed his head in distress at hearing the news.

"Shall we aid their escape, my lord?" Sasaki asked. Munenobu sighed, pondering his options. If he split his army even further, then he'd surely be destroyed, yet if his entire army went at once, it would be easier for the enemy to surround him. The invader excels at making us fight on his terms. I must reject that, no matter the cost.

"No," Munenobu answered. "The enemy wants us to do that. Ensure Lord Hirotoki finds his way back. We will defend Kyoto together."

Sasaki looked distraught, but seemingly resigned to his fate.

"If we aid them soon, we can stop that force of Mongols from entering Yamashiro Province. That invader army is most dangerous, for it is led by a general whose ancestors conquered not just China, but the rest of the world." Munenobu knew exactly who Sasaki spoke of, and why. The head of the Takeda clan, that obnoxious Tokitsuna, blamed his great retreat on the strength of that general. And when his kinsman Tokiatsu lost at Hayashino two years ago, he blamed that same general, even going as far to capture invader soldiers in hopes of learning more. Are those just wild rumours, or is that man truly that powerful?

"Strong as he is, he conquered only a few of our provinces, not half the world," Munenobu said, trying to dismiss his concerns. "Our ancestors seized far more provinces at the side of Minamoto no Yoritomo and his brothers. And that is all that matters--how well our enemy performs against the warriors of Japan, protected by our ancestors and the gods of this country. Let him enter Yamashiro if he dares."

"Isn't one less enemy army to deal with beneficial?" Sasaki asked.

"Correct," Munenobu replied. "But even if we aid those defending the Oeyama Gate at the entrance of Yamashiro, we expose our flanks to attack by the last enemy we dealt with. Their cavalry are numerous and powerful, even with the long spears I ordered every man carry.'

"I-I see. Where shall we defend?"

"The bridge over the Uji River," Munenobu answered. "The enemy will have to attack our army, for if they do not, we can attack them sequentially as they lay siege to the capital."

"Every force defending the Uji River has lost," Sasaki said. "Do you wish to join Minamoto no Yorimasa, Minamoto no Yoshinaka, and those foolish court nobles of Go-Toba in the annals of those defeated there?"

"I've already considered that," Munenobu said. "Recall we are facing many of our own countrymen who have betrayed their emperor to join the invader. They will inform the invader what to expect and how to fight, and we can predict their actions from that."

Sasaki still looked worried, but once again accepted his fate.

"Very well. I will ensure all gather at the bridge over the Uji."

"Good. Let it be the beginning of our counterattack that drives the invader from this country."

---
Near the Uji River, Yamashiro Province, July 29, 1301​

Mouri Tokichika limped into the tent, kneeling before that invader general Burilgitei as he sat on a fine rug surrounded by his warriors. He was painfully aware of his failure, and hoped the Mongol lord would forgive his mistake.

"My lord, the enemy continues to resist with everything he has. Twice I tried to cross that bridge, and twice I failed," he explained. "My most sincere apologies that my warriors could not succeed at this task."

"So even in tandem with Adachi Tochika and Sugimoto Tokiaki you cannot drive back the enemy," Burilgitei muttered.

A wounded Japanese warrior, his face covered in a bloody bandage and his arm and leg clearly broken, cleared his throat. At the very least Sugimoto survived.

"Lord Burilgitei, please do not punish Lord Mouri too harshly for our failure. I paid with these injuries and the loss of hundreds of warriors, and Lord Adachi and his lieutenant who proposed this, that Lord Hatakeyama, paid a far worse price. Mouri relied on us, and we failed him."

"You Japanese warriors are fighting quite poorly today," Burilgitei said. "No matter, we face an enemy backed into a corner. He is giving us his strongest resistance."

"He knows well not to make the mistakes others did at this crossing," Tokichika said. "Adachi followed the strategy followed by others who once stood in our position, but the enemy countered it perfectly."

"Yet the enemy cannot hold long," Burilgitei said. "If Sugimoto told the truth, then he has lost much of his strength and momentum from those attacks. A few more and I am certain he shall fall."

"Lord Gao is doing all he can out there to stop the enemy from mounting a counterattack," Tokichika pointed out. "Had I not fought my strongest in my retreat, surely the enemy would have used the momentum from repelling my men to cross that bridge and break our ranks."

"All too presumptious, Lord Mouri," Burilgitei cautioned.

A wounded soldier walked into the tent, carried by guards. Cracks tore the warrior's armor in several places, and he wore no helmet. In his hands he held a human head by its hair, blood still dripping from the neck, mouth, and nose of what had been an elderly man. The warrior tried kneeling before Burilgitei, but at once he collapsed, the trophy rolling on the floor toward Tokichika.

"Who is this man to interrupt our strategy meeting?" Burilgitei demanded.

"K-Kuge Mitsunao of Tanba Province, v-vice captain o-of L-Lord Adachi," he sputtered. "D-damn you, Kumagai! [2]"

"Ensure he receives the finest treatment," Mouri ordered the guards. He inspected the head carefully, his eyes growing wide as he recognised the armour. They say Kuge despises that enemy general Kumagai Naomitsu, and if Kumagai is here, this man must be...

"He risked much to bring us a fine gift, Lord Burilgitei. This is the head of Wakasa Nobutsuna, a veteran general of the enemy and uncle of that Takeda lord who fought so well against us."

Burilgitei cracked a smile. "See to it he receives not just treatment, but a fine reward. And if he does not survive to claim the reward, ensure his kin receive it in his stead." Burilgitei stood up, inspecting the head as if checking for familial resemblances of his most bitter foe. "The impass we face shall end. Bring up Lord Kikuchi's soldiers and our other gunnery troops. We shall assail the enemy once again, and demonstrate their heads shall join Wakasa's on our spears."

---

Houjou Munenobu sat on horseback, directing his warriors as needed. He was fortunate he had so many skilled officers to aid him, from his kinsman Houjou Tokiatsu to his vassal Nanjou Yorikazu to those warriors who once aided that Takeda Tokitsuna. Without them, his force would have collapsed ages ago.

"The main Yuan army continues pushing us back in the south," Tokiatsu noted from his horse. "How much longer can we keep this up?"

"As if I don't already know that," Munenobu growled at his kinsman. He looked toward Komai Nobumura, who patiently observed the fighting that drew ever nearer. "What are our chances of success now?"

"Zero," Komai answered. "We would do best to withdraw into Kyoto and conduct our final stand there."

"You know I can't do that!" Munenobu said. "The Court will never permit such rash actions." He recalled those more senior members of his clan discussing the influence that courtier Saionji Sanekane had over everyone--Saionji was just as much an enemy as the Mongols.

"Then as much as it pains me to say it, the capital is lost. Our options are letting the capital burn as we defend it, or letting the capital burn as the invader despoils it. I see no other choice."

Munenobu knew that Komai spoke sense--one did not achieve as much success against this enemy as he had without an intimate understanding of the battlefield. But he could not accept it--if Komai knew everything, then the invader would not be at the gates of the capital. It was now time to gamble on his last and finest strategy--killing the enemy prince.

"Tokiatsu, have our soldiers sighted that Yuan prince in the army attacking from the south?"

"As a matter of fact, there have been. Our vassal Ogushi Noriyuki saw him, distinctive in his armour."

"Perfect. Komai, hold off the enemy here. Tokiatsu, let us seek out Lord Nanjou and prepare our countercharge. That prince thinks us occupied with his chief general, but once we break his lines, he will die and the enemy shall rout."

"Just one moment, Lord Houjou," Komai said. "If your men and Lord Nanjou's cavalry leave this sector of the battle, our lines will collapse. We have not a warrior to spare against that prince."

Munenobu grit his teeth, aware once more that Komai told the truth. His mind scrambled itself trying to answer Komai and prove to himself his plan held merit, yet he could not find a single reason why he might succeed, or at least not one that Komai might find convincing. If he were in my position, he would not act so confident. Even his master Takeda Tokitsuna could do no better if faced with this strong of an opponent.

"Then we shall lose this battle, but win the war...and save the Capital." With a motion of his hand, he ordered his cavalry into action, dozens of Houjou clan vassals following him. We will form the spearhead of this attack, and then Lord Nanjou shall follow. Once that enemy prince dies, this nightmare shall end.

---

Shell trumpets sounded as Khayishan aimed his bow with precision, losing an arrow that shot clean through the enemy's helmet and knocked his lifeless body from his horse. A cavalry charge this intense? What is Burilgitei doing? He fired several more arrows, trying to keep his distance as the enemy poured through their ranks, casting it aside as he drew his sword. They held high banners of the three triangles of the Houjou clan, those rulers of the Japanese, dismounting from their horses as they fired all their arrows.

"This is it, your majesty! The enemy's last gasp!" shouted his strategist Bayan. Khayishan smirked, knowing it true. Burilgitei would never give the enemy the slightest opportunity to mount a thrust like this. To withdraw so many men from their lines ensured their defeat.

On horseback in front of him rushed the mounted warriors of the Russian Guard with their distinctive European chainmail and furred helmets, ready to intercept the enemy. At their head Khayishan recognised Aleksandr Zakharievich, his uniquely angular sword with its inscription glinting in the sin [3]. The kheshig formed a barrier in front of Khayishan, their spears and swords halting the enemy in their tracks. They will never even reach me, let alone our commander Nanghiyadai in the rear-guard.

A few enemies, seeing their doom near, charged toward Khayishan. Bayan struck one down, and with his own blade, Khayishan slew two more. The last enemy proved stronger, rushing in on a dying horse before leaping in front of Khayishan. He knocked Bayan to the ground with the butt of his spear before thrusting it right into Khayishan's horse. Khayishan himself leaped from his horse as the beast died and parried another blow.

"Oh invader prince, recall the name Nanjou Yorikazu!" the furious enemy shrieked in Chinese. "Glory to the sacred Lotus Sutra!"

His fierce charge ended as soon as it began. Two warriors of the kheshig cut him down, and Khayishan finished the fight by beheading the enemy warrior as he muttered "namu myouhou renge kyou". No doubt he was a general by his fine armour.

"Bayan, give me your horse!" Khayishan shouted at his strategist. Bayan immediately acquiesced to his lord's request, and holding the head high, Khayishan hopped into the saddle and raised the enemy's head, ensuring the horse reared back to gain the attention of all. Distant gunshots sounded, no doubt from Burilgitei's firearm soldiers.

"We are winning the fight, the enemy now exhausted, and their general slain! Onwards!" Khayishan shouted. As his warriors slew the final enemies and forced back a few stragglers, his men let out a loud cheer. Kyoto would soon be there's.

---

Thick, almost choking smoke filled the air, smoke Kikuchi Takamori knew well by now. Around him stood gunners both Japanese and Mongol, loud pops signifying the stones their hand cannons fired shooting into the ranks of his enemy on the opposite shore. He counted the rhythm taught to him by that barbarian general Li Ting, content his men were shooting at a reasonable pace and lit the powder in his own gun. Even if he could barely see, his bullet struck at least one soldier.

"Forward!" Takamori shouted, putting his cannon on his back and raising a sword. His men took three steps forward, standing on either side of the Uji River bridge as their warriors flowed across it. A battle in the field and a battle at a fortress are little different, and the tactics of the latter can just as much apply to the former. These noisy weapons are truly useful.

A sudden gust of wind blew, clearing the smoke for a brief moment. The enemy was in retreat, driven back by those brave retainers of the the Mouri clan who took the lead on the bridge. Takamori smiled--based on what that invader general Burilgitei told him, once the bridge was seized, the battle had ended. They don't have nearly enough men to resist now that their cavalry retreated. An arrow struck a hair's breadth from Takamori's foot, an omen as good as any for their success.

Soon enough, trumpets blew as even other the din of battle the furious cavalry charge began. An endless wave of horses rushed past, and for a brief moment Takamori saw the invader general himself, his focus immaculate as he fired his bow into the distance, completely ignoring the smoke.

The wind continued to blow, spreading the smoke once more. The invader general's work was done--the forces of the Houjou clan and Shogunate were fleeing ever faster as more and more men crossed the Uji River. They fled in every direction, now nothing more than a panicked mob. It struck Kikuchi with awe to see the battle changed so thoroughly in minutes, as if the invader general simply decreed it end in his favour.

Some fled in the direction of Kyoto, which brought a sudden realisation to Takamori's mind--the capital would soon fall. It seemed like an incomprehensible thought to him, that soon he might enter Kyoto and truly begin the renovation of Japan. But as his men shot those last warriors of the Shogunate who conducted their doomed final stand, a sudden worry gripped him--would there even be a Kyoto to enter? Surely the city would fall, but the partisans of the Shogunate would fight for every street. Should they do that, there would not be a Kyoto left.

---
Near Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, July 30, 1301​

Komai Nobumura rushed away from the battle on horseback, a few hundred men following behind him. Retreat was the only thing he might do in this terrible situation, yet he knew not where to retreat. They halted and dismounted in a rice paddy not far from Kyoto, yet far enough for the enemy to not reach them immediately. Men surrounded him, wondering what might become of them--and their nation.

"Where do we even go now, father?" his son Nobuyasu asked. "Shall we join those laymen defending Mt. Hiei? Lord Takeda is still impri--"

"No," Nobumura said, cutting him off. "No matter what, we must not make an enemy of the Shogunate. Besides, Lord Takeda seeks to remain in contemplation rather than return to worldly politics. If we were wise, we would follow his example."

A wounded warrior Nobumura recognised as Kodama Shigeyuki stepped forward, bandages covering his head.

"I don't care where you go, but I am going no further," he said. "I've fled from my land, but I will not flee from Kyoto where my Emperor sits. I invite all to join me."

"Lord Kodama, did not Lord Takeda tell us to survive at all costs so we might unite to receive the rewards he promised us, not least of all the privilege of standing by his side?" Ichijou Nobuhisa said.

"He did, but look how many are dead now. Ouchi, Kikkawa, and Amano never made it back, and I'm sure Akiyama is dead as well with how this war is going. All of their hundreds of soldiers are gone too," Kodama countered. "I'm not like you, Lord Ichijou. The Takeda are not among my ancestors, nor any among the illustrious Genji or even Taira. [4]"

Nobumura looked at the warriors and sighed, understanding Kodama's point. They may all of been the trusted subordinates of Takeda Tokitsuna, but they followed him only out of self-interest. Half of them were vassals of Tokitsuna in his role as head of the Takeda clan, the other half assorted warriors of Aki Province and nearby areas who followed Takeda in admiration for his steadfast defense of their land. Now that those lands looked perpetually out of reach thanks to the invader's success, the choice to die fighting for it looked more and more appealing.

"Very well, Lord Kodama. I wish you the best success," he said, pausing. Nobumura turned to the other men, glancing especially at those unrelated to his clan like the elderly--but still vibrant--Kaneko Moritada, the ardent Shishido Tomotoki, and the crafty Nawa Yukitaka. "But keep this in mind. To defend Kyoto now is to throw aside your present life, for this battle is lost. If you wish to end your life in defeat, that is your decision, but if you wish to join the winning army, then come with me. Survival is victory, for every day we survive is another day in which the invader has not subjugated the people of this nation."

The warriors looked at each other, pondering Nobumura's words. From their whispers and glances, it seemed none wished to follow Kodama, who now sighed when he realised none would follow them. Kodama knelt before Komai in forgiveness.

"I apologise greatly for my presumptiousness. Your clan has treated me far too graciously, and I feel I betray that hospitality by selfishly choosing my own place of death."

"Never mind that. You did well in placing the Emperor above the whims of his servant the Takeda," Nobumura said. "I grant you special permission to go to Kyoto with your retainers and defend the Imperial Palace. Do not leave Kyoto unless you are by his imperial majesty's side."

"Yes, Lord Komai!" Kodama said, overjoyed his mission was approved. At Nobumura's gesture, Kodama left on horseback, returning to the Capital. Farewell, Lord Kodama. If only each and every one of us might abdicate our responsibilities so readily to embrace such a worthy death.

---​

At the end of 1300, the Kamakura Shogunate suffered repeated defeats on all fronts, driven back against both the numbers and tactical brilliance of the Mongol armies. Panic rose as the frontlines shifted closer and closer toward the vicinity of Kyoto. With army after army destroyed, retired grand chancellor and monk Saionji Sanekane ensured 15,000 warrior monks formed a new Shogunate army, joined by tens of thousands of other soldiers raised through conscription and sending warriors barely older than boys to the front. This new force represented the last hope for Japan, and was to be commanded by Houjou Munenobu, senior Rokuhara Tandai leader.

A warrior monk represented a fierce and disciplined soldier. Although their numbers and influence had declined with the imperial court [5], the great violence of the Mongol Invasions swelled their numbers. They participated as individuals or small units in previous invasions, but the advance of the Mongols into the Kinki region, that heartland of Japanese Buddhism, brought about what could be called a general mobilisation of the warrior monks.

Their initial appearance on the battlefield at the Siege of Yagi Castle (八木城) on April 20, 1301 brought about victory. Taking the advice of several of his generals (including Komai Nobumura and others who served under Takeda Tokitsuna), Houjou Munenobu nearly baited the Mongol commander Burilgitei into a fatal trap by concealing his true numbers--Burilgitei lost 20% of his army as warrior monks ambushed his forces. He retreated, managing to successfully pull off a feigned retreat, but Houjou refused to take the bait. He used the opportunity to relocate his army to the south and practically abandoned Yagi Castle, using most of the few hundred defenders to reinforce his own unit.

Soon after on May 1, Houjou moved to attack Zhang Gui, whose force moved along the western bank of the Uji River as Nanghiyadai scoured its eastern bank. Houjou positioned his forces at Yamazaki, using the river and hilly topography so neither general might reinforce the other without taking severe losses and attacked Zhang's army force, hoping to bait Nanghiyadai into making a disadvantageous crossing. However, Nanghiyadai did not aid Zhang as Houjou planned. While Zhang lost over 5,000 men due to the tenacity of the warrior monks, Nanghiyadai now was besieging the inner ring of fortifications surrounding Kyoto.

Although this kept the frontlines static for several months as only skirmishes occurred, dissent began spreading within the Shogunate's army, evidently as a result of arguments between Nichiren monks and those of Mount Hiei. Nanjou Yorikazu tried to calm his co-religionists, but this tension still greatly hindered morale and led to the whole army being on edge. Desertions increased as the stage was set for a most notorious betrayal.

A Rokuhara Tandai commander named Yamana Toshiyuki (山名俊行) viewed the prevelence of warrior monks, as well as the recruitment of armed court nobles, as proof the Houjou no longer favoured the interests of Shogunate vassals. On July 7, 1301, Yamana, his retainers, and his warriors mutinied as the army camped near the temple of Gantoku-ji (願徳寺). In what became called the Gantoku-ji Incident (願徳寺の変), Yamana's warriors attacked and wounded Houjou Munenobu in an assassination attempt and the entire army began fighting amongst each other in the chaos. Although less than 1,000 warriors mutinied, at least 3,000 Shogunate loyalists perished in the fighting, including Ichijou Nobutoki (一条信時), uncle of the talented cavalry commander Ichijou Nobuhisa.

Yamana himself failed at his aims of gaining control of the army and defected to Burilgitei's army alongside 100 survivors of his force [6]. He provided crucial information, for Yamana knew many of the plans Houjou planned to use to defend Kyoto. Additionally, Yamana secured Terado Castle (寺戸城) on the approach to Kyoto--it seems the poor state of communications ensured its castellan, a certain Lord Taketa, did not know Yamana had betrayed the Shogunate [7]. Taketa would later commit suicide upon learning he let the enemy occupy his castle.

With only 26,000 warriors remaining, Houjou Munenobu, still recovering from his wounds, made the choice to divide his forces. Around 10,000 men under the deputy Rokuhara Tandai leader Houjou Hirotoki marched to fight Burilgitei, while the remaining forces opted to contain Nanghiyadai. The latter bypassed Houjou's key (albeit hurriedly fortified) defensive point at Yodo Castle (淀城) [8], forcing Munenobu to abandon this strategic site.

Just as he did so, Nanghiyadai's chief generals Prince Khayishan and Bayan of the Merkid ordered a swift attack on July 13, crossing the rivers surrounding it and attacking the Shogunate within a few leagues of the castle. The aggressive cavalry charges led by Khayishan and his kheshig failed to totally destroy Shogunate lines. It appears the Shogunate by this time had adopted larger, longer spears which proved enough to halt Khayishan's momentum. However, the determined attack combined with the Mongols storming the castle forced Munenobu to retreat under cover of darkness.

As for Hirotoki, his foe Burilgitei divided his forces in a retreat. The Mongol general sent 600 men commanded by Sugimoto Tokiaki through the Hozu Gorge as a feint. This daring infiltration over steep mountain trails raised immediate panic, for Sugimoto attacked the temple of Daikaku-ji, where retired Emperor Go-Uda resided and still exercised great influence. The warrior monks who guarded him helped him escape, but in the chaos Daikaku-ji was burnt to the ground and Sugimoto's men stole much treasure, including a copy of the Heart Sutra written centuries earlier by Emperor Go-Saga at the behest of the monk Kuukai that supposedly ended a plague.

As the main body of the Shogunate forces pursued Burilgitei, one of his units under Zhang Ding seized the Oeyama Gate (大枝山関), the key pass between Kyoto and Tanba Province, from its garrison that largely consisted of Imperial Police and reserve troops. Zhang cut off the ears, nose, and hand of the commander, a cowardly noble named Sasaki Sukenobu (祐信), ordering him to report to Houjou Hirotoki the gate had fallen.

Hirotoki heard this news along with reports on the Daikaku-ji raid and immediately broke off pursuit to secure his eastern and northern flank, but it was too late. Burilgitei attacked them near the village of Kameoka on July 14. Outnumbered and beset on all sides, the Shogunate managed to fight off the initial thrust due to the brave Nichiren warrior monks putting up a tenacious defense. Hirotoki used this chance to organise a retreat when he was struck by an arrow. The orderly retreated turned into an absolute rout, and the Mongol forces cut down thousands of fleeing Japanese. The remnants of Hirotoki's army barely had time to evade the Mongols that soon poured through the Oeyama Gate.

With Kyoto in view and the enemy army badly damaged, on July 15, Nanghiyadai ordered Kim Heun's army to proceed south to capture Nara. Zhang Gui was to advance north and lay siege to Kyoto while Burilgitei and his own force would eliminate the last remaining Shogunate force in the area and complete the encirclement of Kyoto.

Houjou Munenobu barely had 15,000 warriors left. As a result, he chose to make his final stand at the crossing of the Uji River, the location where the Shogunate had won a key victory over a century ago and 80 years prior had crushed the Imperial court's rebels. It is claimed that the Imperial Court refused to allow Houjou to retreat into Kyoto, lest the city itself be destroyed in street-by-street fighting. Although not the most direct route to Kyoto from the west, it appears the Mongols attacked Uji due to the need to encircle the city and eliminate the Houjou army on their flank.

Bolstering Houjou were 1,000 warrior monks ensconced within the temple Byoudou-in (平等院). Reportedly Munenobu and his kinsman Tokiatsu wished to use Byoudou-in as the center of their defense (ensuring Prince Khayishan was forced to cross the river), as their ancestors had at the Battle of Uji during the Joukyuu War of 1221, but his advisor Nanjou Yorikazu dissuaded him on the grounds they would suffer less casualties if they attacked Khayishan's army first. Nonetheless, the monks of Byoudou-in played a role in Houjou's strategy, for they would harass Burilgitei's force and keep them deceived as to the size of the Shogunate's army.

ipmrYzn.png

Troop arrangement at Battle of Uji in 1301. The Shogunate force of Houjou Munenobu is surrounded from two sides by the Mongols of Burilgitei and Khayishan/Nanghiyadai, but has the river and nearby hills for defense

The odds were long--on July 29, 1301, Nanghiyadai and Khayishan approached from the north, and Burilgitei charged in from the west. Combined, the Mongol army numbered 24,000 soldiers. Houjou could not attack Khayishan's force due to the speedy arrival of Burilgitei who struck first. Yet the narrow bridge at Uji, which Houjou deliberately left standing as part of his strategy to force the enemy to attack a predictable point, helped contain Burilgitei's warriors--his lieutenant Mouri Tokichika was thrown back on two separate occasions with heavy losses.

Burilgitei did not take Houjou's bait regarding Byoudou-in. Although the warrior monks charged and retreated on several occasions, Burilgitei believed them to be small and insignificant in number. He sent 2,000 men under mingghan commanders Kobayakawa Kagemune and Yi Haeng-ni to eliminate them. With vigour, the men set the temple aflame and ensured the monks either fought in scattered units easily destroyed or died a burning death.

At the urging of Hatakeyama Tokikuni (畠山時国), an ally of Yamana Toshiyuki who reluctantly defected to the Mongols, Adachi Tochika tried fording the river and attacking the Japanese flank. Hatakeyama accomplished the feat his adoptive ancestor Shigenori did at Uji in 1184, reaching the opposite shore before any other warrior (perhaps out of the need to prove his loyalty to the Mongols), but immediately was slain [9]. Adachi and his entire force performed little better, defeated by cavalry and skirmishers led by Kumagai Naomitsu and Wakasa Nobutsuna (uncle of Takeda Tokitsuna). Only a small number of men under the Tanba samurai Kuge Mitsunao (久下光直) survived, but they managed to slay the elderly Wakasa and bring his head to Burilgitei.

Houjou's preoccupation with Burilgitei prevented him being able to contain Khayishan and Nanghiyadai. To avoid exhausting his main body of soldiers in the humid July heat, Khayishan and his cavalry rode ahead of the main body and flanked the Shogunate army. In a panic, Houjou sent Nanjou Yorikazu's cavalry to counterattack and rally morale, but this failed and Nanjou perished. Nanjou's absence allowed Burilgitei to cross the river thanks to Kikuchi Takamori's gunpowder troops laying down constant fire and smoke. Against orders from Houjou Sadatoki and the Imperial Court, the Houjou army disintegrated and retreated to Kyoto. The rearguard of Khayishan's army under Guo Bingyi (郭秉义) drove off the remnants, spending much time looting the manors and wealthy temples in the outskirts of Kyoto.

Great panic spread in Kyoto, for it became clear the city would soon be under siege. Thousands of merchants and wealthy residents of the city fled and sporadic riots broke out, harshly suppressed by the Rokuhara Tandai, Imperial Police Agency, and armed court nobles. Every male citizen was ordered to aid in the defense of the city and the Emperor, yet morale was low. Most of the actual soldiers defending Kyoto melted away--most warrior monks returned to defend their temples at Nara or Mount Hiei, while the Sasaki clan warriors retreated to Omi Province to protect against Chonghur's pillaging expeditions.

By July 25, the Mongol armies finished encircling Kyoto and blocked every single path of escape. Much of this was due to the arrival of Zhang Gui's army, which methodically eliminated what little opposition remained. Additionally, Shi Bi's army at last arrived in the area and began the siege of Mount Hiei--the monks of Mount Hiei, battered from the fierce fighting, would be unable to withstand the siege for long.

The Shogunate had nothing with which to respond. Besides the remnants of Houjou Munenobu's army, the only active armies Japan possessed was the weakened force in the Hokuriku region, which was rapidly losing castles and manpower, the combined force of akutou and peasants in Kawachi Province, and the force under the chinjufu-shogun in Mutsu--combined this was no more than 35,000 warriors. To move the latter two armies to reinforce the former meant opening the way for attacks on Kamakura itself.

The Eastern Envoy Saionji Kinhira escaped Kyoto before the siege began, bringing an urgent request for aid. Notoriously, Houjou Sadatoki supposedly replied "Someone who gives everything cannot give still more", a statement which became a Japanese proverb for indifference to suffering. No relief force was forthcoming--the siege of Kyoto would continue until the city fell.

Author's notes
---​
This entry contains the battles in Yamashiro Province. Clearly the situation is quite desperate for the Shogunate at this point. I have little to say other than I wanted to make it dramatic and give a suitable "last stand" battle for the Rokuhara Tandai, one that TTL's history books would often discuss in the context of the Mongol Empire's many victories. I picked Uji because it was the site of no less than three major battles (two in the Genpei War, one the decisive battle of the Joukyuu War)--it also has good strategic position given it is near a mountain pass to Omi Province (modern Shiga Prefecture) and an army could encamp and easily supply itself and prove a thorn in the side of any siege of Kyoto.

This entry took a while to release because I was on vacation and needed a break from writing all this. I also was unsure whether to include a map of the campaign in Yamashiro Province--I will save that for a few entries from now and have it include all central Japan. I did include the Battle of Uji however.

Next entry is the Siege of Kyoto, including the fate of the reigning Emperor and many prominent court nobles. I already have it written and just need to include more of the dialogue so it should be out in 1-2 weeks. After that I'll probably return to other theaters of the war. Thanks for reading!

[1] - Kyoto/Heian-kyo became the capital in part due to challenges with Nara's Buddhist institutions--this is why only two temples (Tou-ji and Sai-ji) were permitted within its walls. Unfortunately for those who sought constraints on the power of Buddhism, numerous other temples sprang up around the city and became every bit as powerful as the temples of Nara.
[2] - The Kuge clan and Kumagai clan held a longstanding rivalry over land rights that dated back to an argument before Minamoto no Yoritomo in 1192. OTL it was resolved in the early 14th century--TTL the Kuge choose to have the Mongols intervene in their dispute
[3] - An arming sword, somewhat uncommon but known in medieval Russian lands, especially in the regions of Kiev and Galicia where Aleksandr Zakharievich's ancestors originated before their move to Kostroma. A younger Mongol prince like Khayishan would find it quite distinctive. Admittedly I am uncertain of the sorts of arms and armour the Russian Guard of the kheshig used, but it appears little about them is known besides several references to their existence and service
[4] - The ancestors of the Kodama clan are unclear--one tradition, possibly a later one, holds they are descended from late 10th century politician Fujiwara no Korechika (藤原伊周), but another more likely one claims instead they are descended from one of Korechika's private secretaries named Arimichi no Koreyasu (有道惟能). Neither represents a particularly illustrious lineage given Korechika's circumstances (as he lost a power struggle).
[5] - As noted before, the peace of the Kamakura era and weakening of their patrons in the imperial court brought a decline in the numbers and readiness of warrior monks, something which TTL would see a reversal of as courtiers (i.e. the Saionji) regain influence and Japan ends up in a life-or-death war
[6] - Yamana Toshiyuki, a lesser son of the Yamana clan, planned a revolt OTL in 1300 although it never occurred, for he was arrested and executed by the Rokuhara Tandai. I cannot find what issues motivated him, although it was likely related to the typical challenges plaguing the gokenin (shogunal vassal) class in regards to the Houjou. So I don't think his actions here are too out of character
[7] - Although this clan's surname "竹田" is usually read "Takeda", I'm using a less common reading to avoid confusion since the other Takeda come up quite a bit TTL. As a side note, Terado Castle was not built until 1336 IOTL, but TTL would probably be built earlier due to its strategic position, and likely still given to this clan since they were locally important. I left this lord unnamed, although he's probably the father of Taketa Narinobu (竹田成忍), Ashikaga Takeuji's ally and builder of the castle IOTL
[8] - IOTL Yodo Castle, also called Yodoko (淀古城) to distinguish it from the nearby later castle, was not built until the 15th century. TTL it would be a point hastily fortified as the Mongols approach as it is a spit of land surrounded by rivers.
[9] - Famously Hatakeyama Shigenori (畠山重忠) raced several other warriors across the Uji River in 1184. Hatakeyama Tokikuni is technically not his descendent--an Ashikaga married Shigenori's daughter and when the Hatakeyama lost a power struggle in 1205 and were wiped out, this branch of the Ashikaga were permitted to assume their name

Last edited:
Excellent chapter as always, seems like the Shogunate forces are truly broken and it's finally time to siege Kyoto, hopefully the Mongols can restrain their troops and not wreck the place too hard.

Excellent chapter as always, seems like the Shogunate forces are truly broken and it's finally time to siege Kyoto, hopefully the Mongols can restrain their troops and not wreck the place too hard.
Good luck with that. Kyoto will burn, as had many cities. The Mongols offer mercy to those who cave before battle. The torch is for those who refuse.

Indeed, but aside that should be noted that among the Mongols would be some thousands of Japanese allies/vassals which could in either way have influenced Kyoto's possible fate. Particularly, given the usual fate of the besieged cities/capitals to fall/be taken by assault, I wouldn't be very optimistic about the possible fate of the Imperial Capital.
Though, it wouldn't be the first time that in a besieged city that some faction inside it, perhaps, they would attempt to reach to the enemy forces/leaders to get some deal both for them as for their city, switching sides with the enemy at the gates...

Last edited:
Indeed, but aside that should be noted that among the Mongols would be some thousands of Japanese allies/vassals which could in either way have influenced Kyoto's possible fate. Particularly, given the usual fate of the besieged cities/capitals to fall/be taken by assault, I wouldn't be very optimistic about the possible fate of the Imperial Capital.
Though, it wouldn't be the first time that in a besieged city that some faction inside it, perhaps, they would attempt to reach to the enemy forces/leaders to get some deal both for them as for their city, switching sides with the enemy at the gates...
If the Mongols want to maintain the loyalties of their vassals, they'll be wise to let them enter the city, and keep their own warriors outside. Realistically, though, it's probably already too late. Even if the leaders don't want to sack Kyoto - and to put it bluntly, I do think they do - their warriors will want their loot. And then all of Japan will remember the calamity, and the traitors who aided in it.

Last edited:
Enemy at the gates!

It'll be oddly satisfying to see the demise of the Hojou.

Also who will be most ardent looters in the sack?? Mongols or the local allies.

Enemy at the gates!

Oh definitely. The Houjou got very lucky IOTL. Not so here. I probably count Joseon in the Imjin War IOTL as a tad more fortunate, given how many military advantages they tossed away for petty court politics, even nearly executing the one man singlehandedly preventing the kingdom's destruction.

The next two entries are fully complete and will be posted this Thursday and next Thursday respectively, but I have yet to decide the schedule after that.
The geography of Japan being such a challenge for the Mongols is proved by what it takes for them to truly bring it to heel.
A common factor in Mongol campaigns--see equally mountainous Goryeo (with even bigger fortresses than Japan) which took 26 years (1231-1257) to conquer, and one could argue even longer (1231-1270) given Goryeo's military regime persisted until 1273 before being violently abolished in the Sambyeolcho Rebellion (covered at the very start of this TL). Or of course the conquest of Southern Song.
Good luck with that. Kyoto will burn, as had many cities. The Mongols offer mercy to those who cave before battle. The torch is for those who refuse.
Thank you. Unfortunately, the medieval Japanese mindset is not one which easily surrenders. That's not a stereotype/historical cliche/anachronism either--the typical mid-late Kamakura period Japanese warrior was obsessed with the stories that became the Heike Monogatari and viewed suicide the glorious option.
There is very vague foreshadowing in a much earlier chapter as to this faction--recall that Japan's imperial family has two lines, Jimyou-in and Daikaku-ji. Although the former are somewhat discredited because thanks to intrigue a Jimyou-in prince (Tanehito) is the Mongol puppet ruler in Hakata, they still have active partisans within the Imperial court and Kyoto and two retired emperors (Go-Fukakusa and Fushimi, the latter of whom by this point is the figure mostly involved in Jimyou-in politics). The powerful retired grand chancellor Saionji Sanekane and his son Kinhira also are more than willing to associate with the Jimyou-in for their own power. That said, they generally aren't people who are willing to rock the boat and any court noble who seeks military training is likely not very pro-Mongol no matter which line they affiliate with.
If the Mongols want to maintain the loyalties of their vassals, they'll be wise to let them enter the city, and keep their own warriors outside. Realistically, though, it's probably already too late. Even if the leaders don't want to sack Kyoto - and to put it bluntly, I do think they do - their warriors will want their loot. And then all of Japan will remember the calamity, and the traitors who aided in it.
Defectors always played an important role in Mongol campaigns--and their violence. The average Japanese warrior serving the Mongols is, after all, nominally fighting an illegitimate regime (a usurper Emperor and his corrupt ministers i.e. the Shogun, the Houjou, and the Saionji family). That said, I do have a list of who the Japanese consider the worst traitors, but it's a bit of a spoiler at this point.
Enemy at the gates!

There is a lot to loot in Kyoto given it is full of the manors of wealthy aristocrats, so that's a difficult question.

As for the Houjou, the Mongols will have to try very hard to beat their OTL demise i.e. mass suicide of almost 1,000 of them via setting aflame their family temple in Kamakura.
Oh definitely. The Houjou got very lucky IOTL. Not so here. I probably count Joseon in the Imjin War IOTL as a tad more fortunate, given how many military advantages they tossed away for petty court politics, even nearly executing the one man singlehandedly preventing the kingdom's destruction.
Indeed, the Mongol invasions could easily have been far, far worse for Japan, and I think 1281 deserves special note given how close Houjou Tokimune was to his death and his erratic son Sadatoki was to taking over, accompanied by vicious rivalries among his retainers i.e. Adachi Yasumori vs Taira Yoritsuna.
this is what awaits Kyoto....
View attachment 856282
AI-generated by the faces and hands? It's still interesting at a glance.

Chapter 19-Beneath the Red Star
-XIX-
"Beneath the Red Star"

Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, October 22, 1301​

"The blood-red star that has appeared in the sky is clear--our nation as we know it is finished," the diviner Abe no Yasuyo confirmed in disturbingly calm terms. Kyougoku Tamekane looked at the sky once more, seeing that sun-like star glaring down upon him with its red rays from just above the roof of his manor. The entire scene baffled him--in any other time, he would compose poem after poem for such a tremendous omen, yet now he felt mortal fear of certain doom.

"Then what can we do about it, Master Diviner?" Tamekane asked. "Is there any hope for us?"

Abe pointed in a direction opposite the red star, which Tamekane knew led to the entrances to Kyoto. Outside those walls was no doubt camped a significant force of invaders.

"Flee toward that auspicious direction with all you know and care about. You and those who flee with you will be saved."

Tamekane processed the diviner's words, knowing that if he followed that man's advice, the enemy would overtake the capital and all would be lost. The auspicious direction points toward the Rashoumon Gate, that place of violence and decay. But if it is the auspicious direction, then...

"Will the emperor be saved? Will the capital?" Tamekane asked, posing the most important questions.

"I do not know. Much will be lost, but perhaps some remnant shall persist. I leave the decision to you, Kyougoku Tamekane."

Tamekane stood there in shock. His last hope had faded and that visioned returned from the terrible dream from the previous night, that horrible sign where three pine trees on the mountain crumbled as the mountain collapsed, their remnants burning as he inhaled the hot ashes.

The gods denied the three prayers my soul once prayed--I will not serve my lord forever. Lord and retainer have turned against each other. And no doubt I will never discover the secret of Nirvana. [1] In his racing thoughts, a verse suddenly developed he could not help but speak.

"In red star's gleaming
We whisper a last farewell.
My heart hangs heavy
Standing beneath eaves now freezing
I await winter weeping.

"Even at a time like this, you still are the master poet of the Court," the diviner said with an anguished smile. "Consider that poem payment until our next meeting."

Tamekane nodded, turning toward the "auspicious direction" he had been told. The invader waited outside those walls, no doubt waiting for him. Somehow he knew he chose the right path--a Master Diviner descended from the great Abe no Seimei would not lead him astray at such a chaotic time. And no doubt he himself knows which path he must take. With men like him, we will surely find our path through the rain!

"Then have one more before I leave all behind," Tamekane said.

"Downpour upon us
Rising waters swamp our path
We can't go forward;
Were I leaf from a tree
I might reach that verdant shore." [2]

Fallen leaves. It is autumn, yet the leaves fall not only from the trees, Tamekane thought as he sent off the diviner, rushing inside his manor to grab his most valuable possessions. The tree that is Kyoto, the tree that is our lives, how many leaves will fall before the night ends?

Putting his valuables in a sack--valuables he knew would inevitably be stolen by the invader--he went about in search for his wife, children, and rest of his household. May I one day again return to the Capital, and may it rise anew from the destruction the invader shall visit upon it.
---
Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, October 28, 1301​

"As you can see, Lord Burilgitei, that temple Tou-ji proves impenetrable. I have lost hundreds of men trying to assail it," the Japanese general reported. Guo Bingyi scowled at him, wondering if Mouri served the Mongols simply because he was too much of a failure to serve his own leaders. "As I retreated, this man here dare impeach my character and name me a coward! How I can he speak such words when I seized the opportunity and captured the gate to this city!?"

"Do not bring these disputes before me," Burilgitei warned. "Lord Guo, you are not my subordinate and I implore you not to criticise my general. Lord Mouri performed as I expected and completed his task of seizing the gate. To ask him to seize the temple as well would be a task for only the greatest officer leading the greatest warriors."

Mouri glared at Guo.

"That does not restore my honour! I demand that Lord Guo tell me how he might take Tou-ji! He must not make such accusations unless he is prepared to assume the challenge himself."

Guo grinned, knowing it was finally his time to propose a plan. Prince Khayishan is too taken by his own strategems and those of that bastard Bayan, Nanghiyadai and Zhang Gui are painfully conservative, but Burilgitei will understand. It was worth causing a conflict with this Japanese officer to receive my audience with him.

"Lord Burilgitei, as the son of Guo Kan himself, the man who extinguished the Caliphs of Islam and their magnificent capital Baghdad, I implore you to listen to my proposals."

"Your ancestors are to be honoured sources of advice, not a means of proving your worth. I want to hear you not as the son of Guo Kan, but as a subordinate offering advice."

Guo twitched at those words, disappointed Burilgitei of all people might criticise him like that. He took a deep breath, the words forming in his head as a fiery blaze. But just as quickly he extinguished it, choosing to win over the general through simplicity.

"Think of a siege, my lord. Consider that a great city may fall by fire or water, but the greatest cities are destroyed by both," Guo replied.

Burilgitei pondered his words before nodding.

"What would you have our warriors do?"

"Burn it. Burn it all," Guo said. "I have taken the liberty of obtaining much oil and pitch. If you permit, we will acquire carts and bronze vessels and convert them into terrible devices throwing fire everywhere they go. So intense will the flames be that when it rains, the rain will carry the fire throughout the city."

Burilgitei pondered his words, looking at his chief lieutenant Gao Xing.

"Shall we take this man up on his offer?" Burilgitei asked Gao.

"A subordinate officer who uses his own funds to prosecute the campaign is to be treasured. Even if there are many options toward victory, is it not just that we reward this man for his loyalty?"

"I agree," Burilgitei turned back to Guo. "Guo Bingyi, son of Guo Kan, I pray you recall my words as you build those siege implements that shall turn this city into a sea of flames and lead our soldiers to victory. Go forth and destroy our foes!"

"Yes, Lord Burilgitei!" Guo shouted, elated to hear his proposal accepted. "All that opposes the Son of Heaven shall burn! The waters flooded our enemies in that great capital in the west, now the fires shall scorch our foes in this great capital in the east!"

---
Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, November 2, 1301​

"I wish to die honourably."

Ichijou Nakazane could not believe the words he heard from his Emperor so peacefully sitting before him. It felt painful to him seeing the kind boy, now a young man, requesting such a thing.

"M-my lord, y-you cannot..."

"It is finished. The capital is lost. The Shogunate has proven incapable of defending us for their general Houjou Hirotoki has perished. I heard the news as well."

Other courtiers, headed by the regent Nijou Kanemoto and the Grand Chancellor Tsuchimikado Sadazane, walked into the chamber. Several of the men were monks and priests.

"H-how long have you planned this, your majesty?" Nakazane asked, but seeing the scroll in front of the Emperor inscribed in his neat calligraphy told him he said something meaningless. The death poem he composed sent shivers down his spine.

"Many days," the Emperor answered. "That red star in the sky spoke the most ill words to my heart, and even Abe no Yasuyo claims our nation is finished." Ichijou shivered, for that Court Diviner told him much the same. "Is it not for the best that I perish honourably?"

"Y-yes, your majesty, such would be a wise course of action."

"I have decided I make my quarters the place of my death. My loyal ministers shall surround me until the end and ensure my body is treated well."

"If I summon Saitou Toshiyuki here, then there is still a chance we can escape the city, your majesty," Ichijou implored, trying one final time to save his master.

"I am sorry. I cannot accept his aid. Valiant as he is, I cannot leave this place. Lord Nijou, the string you have prepared?"

"It is here, my lord," Nijou said, stepping aside so that two young attendants in white robes might pass. On an ornamented pillow lay coiled a shining thread. The boys bowed before the Emperor, and he gently took the thread from the pillow and tied it around his neck. The monks in the room began chanting a sutra, praying the Emperor find peace in his next lifetime. The men of the room--Ichijou included--began quietly weeping as the Emperor prepared to take his own life. The Emperor looked Nakazane in the eye one last time.

"Do not worry, Lord Ichijou. You performed your task as well as you could in this accursed era. You protected my family and ensured their safety, ensuring my line still lives so we might carry out the tasks our forefathers wished."

"As a final service to you, I shall accept this lofty praise I am completely unworthy of," Nakazane said, tears falling from his eyes.

"Oh Grand Chancellor," the Emperor said. "Many will follow me into death, but I implore you remain here a while longer. I give you the hardest task of all--tell the rebels what transpired here. Ensure everything remains known."

"Yes, oh Emperor. I will bear the shame of capture by the invader so they will hear of your majesty," Tsuchimikado Sadazane said.

"The time has come for me to go," the Emperor said. He closed his eyes, reciting the lines of the grim poem he composed.

"As I soon depart
Through land and sky dyed bright red.
My tears become rain.
May this rain nourish our fields
And bring forth blossoms come spring,"

As he spoke the final word, he tightened the silver ligature around his neck with a swift motion of his hand. Nakazane winced from the pain that shot across his majesty's face as the young Emperor's body tensed for a moment. Yet none spoke a word in the room, lest they disrupt the chanting monks. Weeping filled the air for a tense minute as the Emperor heaved his last breaths before finally collapsing to the ground front of them. As he perished, the sobs grew louder and louder as all in the room cried.

Suddenly Nijou Kanemoto collapsed beside Nakazane, a dagger sticking through him.

"F-forgive me...I-I cannot let his majesty go alone," he muttered, his blood mingling with the Emperor's. "Th-thank you, Tadafusa..." His adopted son, Minamoto no Tadafusa, knelt beside his stepfather's body, muttering a brief prayer. The youth glanced up at Nakazane.

"I must avenge my father's death," he said, his eyes burning with sorrow and passion. "He is dead because the invader has come. Oh Left Commander of the Palace Guards, will you join me in our struggle?"

"I am sorry," Nakazane said. "I wish to die with my Emperor." He drew his own dagger, testing the sharp blade on his hand with a painful cut. Without second thought, he plunged it into his stomach, biting his tongue in two so he might avoid screaming. He collapsed in his own blood in painful agony, hoping he might be reunited with his master in the next life.

---
Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, November 4, 1301​

The clash continued in front of the burning manor. Saitou Toshiyuki's blade effortlessly cleaved through the neck of the clumsy enemy warrior in front of him. He blocked a blow from another man as a companion ran him through. Seeing their leader dead, the enemies hesitated, but it was too late--behind them were another group of Toshiyuki's comrades. As a few more of them collapsed on the street from arrow wounds, the remainder rushed away, no doubt seeking support. Toshiyuki pointed his sword toward a side alley, dashing down it for cover from the impending enemy counterattack. The warriors sheltered within the smoldering wreckage of a building, ruined from a previous day's battle.

As they sat down and caught their breath from the battle, one of their number stood up.

"How much longer can we keep doing this?" the young man asked. "The Rohuhara Tandai has fallen and the Imperial Palace has burnt. I am sure even his majesty the Emperor is dead or in the hands of the enemy now, let alone the ministers of his government who remained."

"Nijou Michihira, correct?" Saitou asked, guessing who he was by the number of warriors attending to his weapons. "Not that it matters, for you are here with me to fight until the end."

"It isn't right," Nijou said. "There are so few people left in the city now. It is well and good we resist the invader with all his might, but this is not a battle we should fight! Our flowery capital will become but a lair of wolves and foxes at this rate! [3]"

Toshiyuki smiled, the poetic metaphor Nijou ringing in his ear. What a fine metaphor from that court noble! I must use that next time that arrogant poet who betrayed us sends me a message to surrender.

"We are not just fighting for the city, but for all our country. Every invader we slay here is one who will never take up arms against us again. Every day the enemy is forced to attack us here is a day they are not looting our fields and destroying villages. The longer we fight, the more we exhaust them. The bear remains behind and fights the hunter so that her cubs might live and grow strong one day for revenge. That is our task now."

His most fanatic followers nodded, but Nijou and those among him still seemed uncertain.

"Lord Toshiyuki, I thank you greatly for your strength in defending the capital and nation," Nijou said, practically bowing before him. "I thank you just as much for the training at arms I received, something even the instructors I hired could never have taught me. But I fear my struggle is not here. With your permission, I shall be one of those you are fighting for now so that one day I can have my revenge."

Toshiyuki shrugged.

"So be it. I have no place in my force for those not ready to lay down their lives in the capital. But our nation does. I shall aid your escape, but once you break free from the capital, you must fight your hardest and take your revenge on the invader."

"Thank you so much, Lord Saitou!" Nijou said with a bow. The attendants around him rose, and soon about seven other men left with them. Even as half his force departed, Toshiyuki remained unphased. He was still ordering countless men around--his battle would not end any time soon.

---​
"Leaves aflame abound
Wolves and foxes stalk the streets
Our city renewed
Let us embrace the morning
And send the night to the west."
- Saitou Toshiyuki, November 1301

"The kind morning ends
When the sun shines high above
Then soon comes the night
Now slow down and walk more slowly
And bathe in silver moonlight."
- Response by Kyougoku Tamekane, November 1301

---
Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, November 12, 1301​

Mouri Tokichika walked through the still smoldering ruins on that frosty morning, in awe at the devastation. He reflexively kept his hand on his sword, aware there might be a remaining enemy or two, no matter how much he was told they all perished with that Rokuhara Tandai warrior Saitou. Likely he would perish if that happened--his attention lay focused on the incredible destruction before him.

He heard rustling in the wreckage of a building and drew his sword.

"Who goes there!" one of his warriors shouted. There was no response, but seconds later a mangy wolf darted from the building, holding a half-charred human arm in its mouth. Tokichika couldn't even breathe a sigh of relief, for the scene struck him as grim and cruel.

"Our chief enemy, Saitou Toshiyuki, claimed it better that the capital become the lair of wolves than fall into the hands of the invader," Mouri spoke aloud. "His wish has been fulfilled..."

"What else could possibly occur?" the officer he was with, Adachi Tomasa, replied. "The enemy was hellbent on denying us our capital." He looked to a side street destroyed several weeks prior, where the winds and rain had begun clearing a patch of earth where no doubt come the spring would grow with wildflowers. "It seems as if our nation itself is as a defeated warrior with no option left beside an honour-restoring suicide."

Tokichika nodded, shivering at the darkness in Adachi's words.

"Our capital is not alone, for our souls have done so as well."

"A manor takes months to rebuild, the Imperial Palace years, but our souls will take countless lifetimes for all the sins we have aided," Adachi said. "May all this sin be balanced by the righteousness of our cause."

"A cause that grows ever closer," Tokichika said. "We are nearly halfway to Kamakura, halfway to uprooting the rot corrupting everything in our nation." A sudden wind blew, smelling heavily of the sulfur used to set these flames and smoke out victims. "I am certain that once Kamakura resembles the ashes and rubble that once were our capital, our sin will not only be balanced, but purged entirely. When the Shogunate falls, the gods will smile upon us for our righteous deed for we will have stopped innumerable sins."

---​

After four invasions, decades of fierce battles, and hundreds of thousands of lives, the Mongol Empire advanced upon the walls of Kyoto itself. The final stand of the Shogunate at the Battle of Uji failed entirely, and two Mongol armies under the generals Khayishan and Zhang Gui besieged the capital, aided by the Kingdom of Japan's army under its occupation general Burilgitei. The supreme commander of the Mongol invvasion himself Nanghiyadai conducted the siege, content the city would soon fall. For the Mongols, triumph was at hand, but for the Shogunate--and those who remained in the Imperial city--it was the eve of the greatest disaster Japan ever faced.

As typical, the Mongols requested the immediate surrender of Kyoto on July 30, 1301. The Rokuhara Tandai arrested and executed the envoy, displaying his head from one of Kyoto's gates. However, Rokuhara's power was weaker than ever--a faction within the Imperial Court caught word of this and conducted private negotiations with the Mongols. Once again, Rokuhara stepped into action and imprisoned several lesser court nobles on charges of treason, but did not dare move against senior figures at court suspected to be behind the negotiations. It was clear that the Shogunate demanded yet another final stand.

Kyoto's defenses centered around the old urban core of Heian-kyo. Although the city had long since sprawled far beyond its elaborately planned grid, Kyoto still possessed numerous gates, damaged as they were by centuries of neglect. Largely slum areas, the Rokuhara Tandai cleared these buildings to erect a reasonable set of palisades and earthen walls during July. City streets were dug up and converted into moats, filled with rainwater and sharp stakes. However, this focus on Heian-kyo ensured no effort was spent protecting the citizens living outside the old capital, or defending the temples, shrines, and villas in that region. The Mongols thus looted the area, deporting those who could not flee elsewhere within Japan and claiming much treasure from the old monasteries.

Nonetheless, these defensive efforts delayed the Mongol advance. Several early attacks on the walls by Zhang Gui's army failed, repelled by tenacious Shogunate soldiers. Displaced citizens of Kyoto and Yamashiro Province in general aided the Shogunate by sabotaging siege engines and providing reports on Mongol positions. Despite the perimeter of this makeshift wall measuring nearly 20 km, these spies and diligent effort ensured the Shogunate readily responded to any attempt at penetrating it.

The apparition of a comet (known later in Europe as Halley's Comet) in the sky over Kyoto in late October greatly changed matters. Citizens and soldiers alike panicked, for the court diviners predicted it symbolised the impending downfall of Japan and in particular the city itself. Interpretations among the Mongols and their Japanese allies were mixed, but upon hearing from their own diviners, they placed great faith in the comet symbolising the impending renovation of Japan.

The prominent poet and politician Kyougoku Tamekane (京極為兼) found himself awed by the comet's apparition. He had fallen from power in 1293 due to his loyalty to emperor Fushimi, who was forced to abdicate by Saionji Sanekane. Additionally, he suffered much abuse at the hands of the authorities due to suspicions of enabling court nobles to defect as part of the Fukudomari Incident that year (a suspicion proven later to be correct as part of Kyougoku's revenge scheme). In the tumult that followed, Kyougoku fell under the influence of a young diviner named Abe no Yasuyo (安倍泰世), part of the Abe family of hereditary court diviners and astrologers who practiced the magical art of onmyoudou (陰陽道) [4].

A descendent of the famed diviner Abe no Seimei (安倍晴明) of the Heian era, Yasuyo first came to Kyougoku's attention in 1294 for correctly predicting his partial reinstatement at court as well as the death of Japan's enemy, Mongol ruler Kublai Khan. Kyougoku considered Abe a trusted advisor, writing numerous poems praising his skill. He claimed Abe knew the entire course of the Banpou Invasion, and that if Abe's predictions were heeded, the Mongols would be utterly defeated.

In the panic of the siege, Kyougoku spent much of his time conferring with Abe, eventually coming to the conclusion that the only course of action was to open the gates of Kyoto. While Kyougoku was by no means a supporter of the Kingdom of Japan, he remained a personal friend of Retired Emperor Fushimi, father of King Tanehito. With the continuing marginalisation of Fushimi's Jimyou-in branch of the imperial family and his archrival Saionji Sanekane dominating the court, there was undoubtedly underlying motivation for this decision.

Thus on the night of October 23, Kyougoku Tamekane and his household guards, aided by paid off criminals within the Imperial Police Agency, opened up the refortified Rashoumon Gate (羅生門) at the southern end of the city. Soldiers under Japanese general Mouri Tokichika immediately captured Kyougoku. Mouri himself charged into the open gate and at once overwhelmed the defenders. Following him were many other warriors of the Kingdom of Japan. The defenders, however, massed at the great temple of Tou-ji (東寺) near the gate and counterattacked, using the urban environment to maximise their ambushes. Wounded in action and unwilling to cause extensive damage to the temple, Tokichika pulled his forces back. Immediately after however, he was reinforced by the Yuan general Guo Bingyi, one of Khayishan's generals.

Elsewhere, fierce street-by-street fighting occurred throughout the night of October 23 against the Shogunatge remnants assembled under Houjou Hirotoki, still injured and unable to fight from his wounds. Actual leadership fell to Saitou Toshiyuki (斎藤利行), an energetic Rokuhara Tandai lieutenant who rallied the forces, the Houjou vassal Yamamoto Tokitsuna (山本時綱), and Kodama Shigeyuki (児玉繁行), one of Takeda Tokitsuna's generals.

A sizable portion of these Shogunate forces were armed court nobles. In addition to their private bodyguards and others serving them who took up arms, an increasing number of court nobles had trained in martial arts and other means of self-defense. Although they numbered only a few hundred, their tenacity in defending their property made them a potent force during the Siege of Kyoto [5].

Many of these armed nobles were barely older than boys, as training in the martial arts was largely a youth movement at this point. The exceptions were Shijou Takazane (四条隆実), a scion of a prominent family around age 30 who was an early promoter of the movement and the Left Commander of the Palace Guards Ichijou Nakazane (一条内実), who since his appointment the previous year ordered his guard to train intensely and tried eliminating untrained noble officers who sought to use it as a stepping stone to higher office [6]. Of the youth, two sons of Imperial Regent Nijou Kanemoto (二条兼基), his adoptive son Minamoto no Tadafusa (源忠房) and his biological son Michihira (二条道平)--the Right Commander of the Palace Guards--also played prominent roles in organising the defense.

It is likely that all these forces combined numbered no more than 8,000 warriors. It was a motley army consisting of warrior monks defending the great temple of Tou-ji, armed court nobles under Ichijou Nakazane, the remnants of the Rokuhara Tandai under Houjou, Saitou, and Yamamoto, the Imperial Police Agency, and a few fanatic warriors from other armies under Kodama. Against tens of thousands of Mongols, the odds were high, but they possessed a common goal of driving out the enemy and if that proved impossible, then dying alongside them for the glory of their emperor and nation.

Despite the efforts of Shogunate forces, Guo Bingyi's forces drove the Shogunate from Tou-ji despite the fierce opposition of local warrior monks. Houjou Tokiatsu, a younger leader rising fast within the Houjou clan, perished defending this temple. Guo's forces spent much of the day looting Tou-ji and nearby areas, for it was well-known that Tou-ji was among the richest temples in Japan. This slowed down the Mongol advance into the city. Matters were not helped by rainfall extinguishing fires and eliminating smoke from Mongol guns and bombs. On October 26, the Shogunate even succceeded at repelling an assault on the city from the south, containing the main fighting in the area near the Rashoumon Gate and Tou-ji.

While Kyougoku, and by extension Mouri had pleaded with the Mongols to minimise damage to the city, this proved impossible due to the continuing resistance. As a result, individual Mongol commanders took initiative at crushing these forces. By far the most brutal of them was Guo Bingyi, one of Khayishan's deputies. The youngest son of Guo Kan who led the conquest of the great city of Baghdad nearly 45 years prior and in his lifetime helped conquer Southern Song, Guo Bingyi sought to emulate his father's success, claiming that "a great city may fall by fire or water, but the greatest cities are destroyed by both [6]."

Guo Bingyi constructed incendiary siege weapons--these were carts with large chests of oils, hot irons, and pumps that shot flames. The Shogunate quickly caught on to these weapons and risked much to destroy the flamethrowers in ambushes and even frontal charges, taking heavy losses in the process. Guo also ordered the use of "gunpowder jars" to clear the rubble of buildings. These weapons contained a mixture of gunpowder, sulfur, quicklime, and iron shards and produced a great amount of choking smoke. So much oil and pitch was used in the siege that even a rainstorm failed to extinguish the flames [7].

Guo led his forces without mercy, scorching block after block of Kyoto to smoke out his enemies and destroy them. Additionally, his warriors took thousands of women and children hostage, aiming to demoralise their relatives. These hostages suffered great abuse and often death. These tactics proved effective and were copied by other Mongol generals. The few survivors of Guo--and other Mongol generals--were enslaved and sent to the mainland, never to return to Japan.

Tens of thousands of citizens attempted to flee Kyoto during this violence by exploiting breaks in the wall or even directly surrendering to the Mongols, but few managed to do so alive. So great was the violence that the Kingdom of Japan's Mouri Tokichika protested to all Mongol generals there and composed letters to the Great Khan's court complaining of senseless violence and illegitimate looting causing corruption among Yuan officers. He shifted his soldiers away from rooting out Shogunate remnants and instead capturing Kyoto's citizens--those captured by the Japanese were still often treated poorly, but usually were simply deported to Kyushu, Ezo, or other occupied parts of Japan. Mouri's protests succeeded, but all too late for only after several weeks of bloodshed did the Mongols shift to ordering all captured citizens be treated fairly and receive free passage to Hakata.

Several hundred did manage to escape. Shijou Takazane led a number of courtiers (including his own family) and other citizens to safety by destroying several Mongol scouting patrols. In the process however, Shijou was killed by the enemy. Another notable escape came from Nijou Michihira, among the last courtiers to escape Kyoto. He fled the city on November 4, 1301, narrowly escaping from Mongol patrols as he used the looting of the city to flee. Reports from these men proved essential for letting the Shogunate know of the disaster that befell the city.

While Japanese generals often held back from this overt violence, Yamana Toshiyuki proved the exception. He led the siege of the Rokuhara Tandai's headquarters over the course of six days, setting the building and nearby areas aflame. Although initially repelled, by November 1 he reduced the building to ashes and drove out the survivors, killing hundreds of them including Kodama. However, Saitou escaped and continued to lead resistance.

As for Houjou Hirotoki, his forces remained concentrated around the Imperial Palace. As Yamana besieged the Rokuhara Tandai's headquarters, Mouri Tokichika's Japanese soldiers attacked the palace after blunting a suicidal charge by Yamamoto and his warriors--none of them survived. The great garden of Shinsenen (神泉苑) outside the palace, became a sea of flames--the ponds where the monk Kuukai prayed for rain burned with fire and the cherry blossom trees where Emperor Saga (嵯峨天皇) held the first hanami were reduced to ash [8]. This siege lasted until November 2, when soldiers under Adachi Tomasa charged in and butchered Houjou and his surviving soldiers.

Emperor Go-Nijou committed suicide soon after hearing of Houjou's death, his suicide aided by Ichijou Nakazane, who followed him into death shortly after. Alongside him were the suicides of several of his consorts and dozens of prominent courtiers such as the imperial regent Nijou Kanemoto, whose adoptive son Minamoto no Tadafusa supposedly slew a dozen Mongol soldiers in a fit of grief before himself perishing. Grand Chancellor Tsuchimikado Sadazane (土御門定実) was captured by the Mongol force and executed after insulting them and refusing to aid them. Of the courtiers who survived, most were those allies of Kyougoku Tamekane and the Jimyou-in line who surrendered long before the siege or were captured and spared. Those survivors from the Daikaku-ji lined survived via bribing their way past the Mongol force to varying degrees of success.

Yet the fighting did not die down even then. It is said that as Kyougoku Tamekane attempted to negotiate with Saitou via an intermediary, Saitou claimed it better that Kyoto become a lair of wolves and foxes than fall under the occupation of the invader. The two composed several acrimonious poems to each other during the Battle of Kyoto, for Saitou wrote the poems upon learning he was being asked to surrender by a poet. Saitou's warriors even succeeded at mortally wounding Guo Bingyi on November 8 as he continued fighting for days and days.

Historians suggest Saitou's actions are linked to his relations with the powerful Toki clan of Mino Province. Saitou's daughter had recently married Funaki Yoriharu (舟木頼春), head of a powerful branch family of the Toki. Saitou likely wanted to ingratiate himself to his son-in-law's clan by making a name for himself and delaying--or even preventing--the invasion of Mino. [9]

His resistance would not continue for long, as continual use of incendiary weapons eliminated locations for ambush, curtailing Saitou's and on November 11, Saitou was killed by Mongol soldiers. Sporadic resistance continued for several days, but by that point the Battle of Kyoto ended. It cost the Mongols nearly 5,000 warriors to subdue the city and they lost several prominent leaders. Yet they inflicted a staggering toll on the city and its population--as Saitou predicted, Kyoto was indeed a lair of wolves and foxes, for nothing remained of the flowery capital of Japan but the shell of burnt buildings and fields of ashes. Not a single citizen remained in the city--all died from battle or massacre, with the only survivors those lucky enough to flee or been captured and deported by the Mongols. It is speculated at least half the population--over 50,000 people--died during the siege.

Along with its populace, Kyoto's rich culture and religion fell into absolute destruction. Nearly every great manor and villa along with the Imperial Palace itself had been burnt, destroyed by warfare or in some cases burnt by their occupants to deny them to the enemy. From Shinto shrines to great Buddhist temples, these institutions around Kyoto lay in ashes, their occupants be they warrior monk or priest were slaughtered to the man. Their rich offerings were plundered and the priceless documents dating back centuries burnt to ashes in the flames [10]--few documents remained, stolen by warriors hoping to sell them to monks or those few learned monks who joined the Mongols. Within Kyoto, both Sai-ji (西寺) and Tou-ji lay in ruins--the latter would face a permanent decline in its power as a result [11].

Despite Kyougoku's repeated requests to Saitou to surrender to spare the Imperial Palace, all that remained of the palace was the shell of a building, its treasures plundered and documents detailing innumerable court records going back centuries either consumed by fire or scattered to the winds as the courtiers dispersed to all corners of Japan [12]. The mansions of the courtiers were completely plundered and burnt, taking with them yet more invaluable records and treasures.

The devastation wrought by the Mongols infuriated many of the Kingdom of Japan's elite. They composed sardonic poems and privately complained amongst each other, cursing Guo Bingyi for the needless destruction. When Kyougoku Tamekane arrived at the court, he was blamed by many courtiers and even King Tanehito himself for failing to prevent the destruction and merely spending his time composing poems to Saitou Toshiyuki. It is said news of destruction moved every courtier in Hakata to tears and for a few even suicide, for their return to Kyoto was now impossible. The crafty poet only avoided total personal ruination by allying with courtiers already present to preserve their powerbase against the newcomers.

Yet the Mongols were satisfied with the result. Khayishan triumphantly entered the capital, seizing credit for the success. Zhang Gui was reportedly infuriated, for he had been the first to besiege the city and his warriors had taken the brunt of the casualties. The Mongols spread the plunder evenly, a great treasure that ensured the soldiers would be content the entire winter.

As for the Shogunate, the fall of Kyoto and destruction of their army in the west was to bring about an internal chaos not seen in generations. Having failed in their duty to protect the capital, cracks of tension appeared within the Houjou. Even as the Shogunate stood on the brink of defeat, the winds of upheaval blew in Kamakura and throughout Japan.

---
Author's notes

The appearance of Halley's Comet in late 1301 did not go unnoticed in Japan. TTL it coincides with the Siege of Kyoto and helps brings about utter disaster. Much of the destruction of Kyoto is based on the OTL Onin War, but it should be noted that the Onin War was downright civilised in conduct compared to a Mongol sack, for it was mostly years and years of mob violence and fistfights in Kyoto that progressed to arson of important mansions or temples which spread to nearby areas of the city.

Unfortunately, I am not good at writing poetry and definitely not Japanese poetry of a particular medieval style, but I made my best try. It was impossible not to include it given Kyougoku Tamekane was both a famous poet and an important politician of his era.

I have divided this chapter in two. This is just the Kyoto portion, and let's just say these events have proven quite shocking to the rest of Japan.

Thank you for reading!

[1] - Allegedly Kyougoku Tamekane had a dream of swallowing three pine trees on a mountainside, which he claimed to his emperor, Fushimi, signified serving him forever, that no rift in their relationship would develop, and that he would achieve Nirvana.
[2] - Consider this--and all poetry in this chapter--very loose paraphrases. Some of Kyougoku Tamekane's poems have an extra syllable in my English rendering, and that is because selective use of an additional syllable is very common to the Kyougoku school (京極派) of poetry.
[3] - Paraphrase of a passage from a chronicle regarding the 15th century Onin War, from which the Battle of Kyoto is inspired by.
[4] - The main components of onmyoudou are the Japanese interpretation of feng shui (and similar concepts), geomancy, and astrology. It does have a practical use given the Abe family (and their offshoots) were responsible for astronomical observations to properly calibrate the traditional Japanese calendar
[4] - Military training among the court nobles mostly died out after the Joukyuu War of 1221, but some court nobles started training in martial arts by the early 14th century as the akutou problem rose and the Kamakura Shogunate looked weak. By the time of the Kenmu Restoration and Southern Court, a significant number had trained like this and even made up some of Go-Daigo/the Southern Court's most famous partisans
[5] - No relation to the various Ichijou clan members serving the Takeda--the former are a Takeda branch family, this Ichijou family are a branch family of the Kujou family of court nobles who themselves are a branch of the Fujiwara.
[6] - Guo Kan, Guo Bingyi's father and a famous Mongol general, breached the dikes on the Tigris to channel and defeat Abbasid forces during the Siege of Baghdad
[7] - OTL these are called stinkpots, most notoriously used during the Second Opium War. However, they were occasionally used as improvised weapons in other instances and similar concepts occurred in China and around the world
[8] - Hanami, cherry blossom viewing, appears to have either originated or become popularised from Emperor Saga spending much time observing the cherry blossoms at Shinsenen in 812.
[9] - The early heads of the Saitou clan of Mino Province are mostly obscure, but it is clear that Saitou Toshiyuki had ample links to the Toki clan and his descendents even moreso. The famous Sengoku era Saitou Dosan, who only had the most distant relations (as he descends from another brother of Toshiyuki's great-great-great-great-great grandfather), usurped this clan (and the Toki as a whole) and used their surname.
[10] - A tremendous loss for future generations--many of these documents are crucial to reconstructing not just Japanese Buddhist history, but East Asian Buddhist history in general. Others have to do with economic dealings of temples and are crucial for understanding how Japan functioned in the 8th century onward. As recently as a decade ago, many of these documents (of which there are tens of thousands) are still poorly recorded and were yet to been digitised or subject to thorough analysis historians.
[11] - Within Kyoto (Heian-kyo) proper, there were only two Buddhist temples permitted, Tou-ji and Sai-ji, due to fear of Buddhist institutions gaining too much power over the city (and thus Japan's government). Most powerful temples were thus outside the city. Ironically, only Tou-ji ever gained that power, since Sai-ji never had as much power as Tou-ji and greatly declined in the late Heian era, becoming only a minor institution by the mid-Kamakura era
[12] - Also a tremendous loss. Something similar occurred OTL in the mid-16th century however when Ouchi Yoshitaka attempted to move the Imperial Court from Kyoto to Yamaguchi--the courtiers brought many documents and treasures with them, and when Ouchi fell from power, the courtiers were massacred and countless items plundered or destroyed

So it finally happens and as expected it's brutal and deadly, this is the last straw for the shogunate, expect them to fall into their own civil war soon enough.

Given in what state was left Kyoto after that it was taken and thoroughly looted... I wonder if its symbolic and political-cultural importance would be enough that even with its the degree of destruction still would be unthinkable for the koJ to think on move the capital. And, instead it would be built anew with the goal of restore it to its former glory...