Chapter 9-Reshaping the Land
-IX-
"Reshaping the Land"

Hakata, Chikuzen Province, 1294
Flickering candlelight illuminated the faces of the two men. Each and every scar in their career shone on their face, as did the hidden ambition within. Serada Noriuji liked that--young as his host was, he was in good company here at Asahara Tametsugu's manor. The long exile on Sado had left him in dire need of such company.

"You wished to speak with me, Lord Asahara? This matter better be as important as you claim. I could be anywhere in the San'you region claiming estates right now."

"Land is nothing without its people, and this matter concerns the most important people such as yourself," Asahara pointed out. "I am certain you will want to hear my invitation."

"Come in, Lord Houjou."

The wooden door slid open, and a rough-looking samurai walked in and took a seat. He looked at Noriuji, his brow full of suspicion and skepticism.

"Houjou? Ah, the rumours of that Houjou Tanetoki holding a high position in our army is true," Noriuji said.

"Hmph, of course they are. The invader is the only one who gave me what I deserved."

"You are here because he hasn't, Lord Houjou," Asahara said. Noriuji smiled as the realisation dawned on why Asahara invited him to his manor. "And it isn't just the invader, but the invader's men as well."

"Shouni Kagesuke?" Houjou said. "Hmph, he's nothing but a worthless traitor, a poor commander who lost every battle he fought. Were it not for his clan's ineptness, our nation would still be united."

"Lord Serada, do you hold an opinion on Shouni Kagesuke?" Asahara asked. "Speak freely, you are among allies here."

Noriuji pondered the matter. I spent too long on that accursed hell of an island to worry about these petty struggles. All he knew about Shouni was from warriors who shared in his banishment to Sado. From what they told him, he was an honorable, but stubborn man who foolishly threw it all away with his choice of chose rebellion and treachery.

"I've spent nearly 20 years of my life on Sado Island. News is rare, but rumours plentiful. Shouni Kagesuke is nothing but a man who betrayed his emperor...just like all of us now."

"I don't mean your personal opinion on the man, I mean your thoughts on his leadership. Do you truly believe a bureaucrat of the Dazaifu should hold the utmost authority over someone from the most noble lineage of the Seiwa Genji [1]?"

Serada thought about the question Asahara prodded him with. It is true that for a mere provincial bureaucrat, he holds an incredible amount of power. The Emperor gave the Dazaifu to his clan so long ago, and even Minamoto no Yoritomo saw it fit to keep the Shouni in power.

"Just what are you proposing, Lord Asahara?"

"Ah, it seems your time on Sado eroded your once noble mind, Lord Serada," Houjou interjected, clearly at the behest of Asahara. "Ashikaga, Nitta, you Serada, we Houjou know your clans grumble about serving us, but without our clan, the Shogunate would not exist. What separates the Shouni clan from innumerable other great families? They are mere bureaucrats not worthy of their current position."

"I want to see each and every one of us benefitted," Asahara said. "Tomorrow, I will set out for Hakata. When I arrive shall be the day Shouni Kagesuke breathes his last. What happens after is up to you." He spoke without hesitation, clearly having devoted every bit of himself to such a wicked task. Noriuji sighed--he had barely returned from Sado and already found himself plunged into intrigue.

"That is when I will become shikken, the office that by right belongs to my clan," Houjou declared. Noriuji knew exactly where the conversation was going.

"I suppose you wish for me to assume the position of shogun in your government, then," he said. He took a deep breath, knowing his next words consigned his fate. "Very well. Whose support might we count on? Will the invader tolerate this intrigue?"

"The invaders will not care about our squabbles," Asahara said. "A vassal of mine will petition the Dazaifu regarding Shouni's failings, and besides, the invaders care more about their succession council across the sea."

"We have many, many allies," Houjou said with a grin. "Lord Miura Yorimori has countless men at his disposal. Surely he will join our cause."

"Exactly," said Asahara. "The provinces reclaimed from the Kamakura rebels nearly all answer to Miura and his allies. How few will follow Shouni Kagesuke to his doom!"

As the two began to excitedly chat about the coming rebellion, Serada sighed. So much of this plot relies on one man. Yet should I not take this opportunity, I would have wasted my entire life on that island for no purpose and far worse, I would be spitting on the memory of my father who bore that exile with me.

---
Iwato Castle, Chikuzen Province, March 1294​

Asahara Tametsugu walked into the courtyard of Iwato Castle, his heart pounding. Even the battles of the past war failed to excite his nerves as much as this--this was a level on par with the kidnapping of the imperial prince in Kyoto. How pleased will my father be when he sees what I have done for our clan! How much will my elder brother strive to exceed my deed! Truly the Asahara will stand among the great clans of our nation!

"You are Lord Asahara Tametsugu, am I correct?" a young Shouni clan retainer said. "The Dazaifu informed you would be here to meet with my lord."

"Yes, yes, this concerns very important matters, very important indeed." Just hurry it up! "You see, the conflict between my estate's overbearing darughachi, the village leader, and the villagers of a neighbouring estate is reaching a boiling point. An expedited appeal means an expedited appeal, and the sooner Lord Shouni places his seal on the order, the more likely we restore harmony and avoid loss of life."

The retainer hesitated for a moment before ushering Tametsugu further inward. Hmph, fool. What a simple system I might exploit, where all I need is invent a wild story and I may appeal directly to that man who dares call himself the shogunal regent.

On a balcony overlooking a valley and a distant sea stood Tametsugu's target. One arm of Shouni Kagesuke's robe fluttered in the breeze as the retainer explained to him the situation. Tametsugu reluctantly bowed, annoyed he had to submit to such a man. It was difficult to conceal his irritation, especially when he noticed the hilt of Minamoto no Yoritomo's blade at Shouni's hip.

"You wished to appeal your case directly to me, Asahara Tametsugu?" Shouni asked. The man's voice was weary, perhaps with increasing age--clearly this was not a role he preferred.

"I do, my lord," Tametsugu said, preparing to execute his plot. "This concerns my estate and its relationship with its darughachi." Tametsugu took a deep breath, focusing on drawing his sword and cutting Shouni down in a single stroke. "But first, I thank you once again for this opportunity to receive a private audience from you."

He sprung into action and lept to his feet, drawing his sword as he prepared to cleave Shouni Kagesuke's remaining arm off.

"I thank you indeed, Lord Shouni!" he screamed, bringing the blade down right on Shouni's collar. Tametsugu laughed as he heard that lovely slicing of flesh and muscle in bone, but to his surprise he felt an incredible pain in his stomach and noticed at once his blood gushing forth. His head grew weary and vision clouded in red as he realised he would share in Shouni Kagesuke's fate.

"Another traitor..." Shouni muttered. As Tametsugu collapsed to the ground, he heard Shouni hack up blood.

"Who do you work for! Who is your master!" a retainer shouted at him as he grabbed the sword from Tametsugu's hands, but the voices sounded so distant now. Dammit! How is this man still so powerful! Lord Houjou better reward my sons well for my sacrifice!

---
Hizen Province, 1294​

As Shouni Kagesuke lay weary in bed, his chest and shoulder aching from the painful wound, he saw the spirits float into his room once more. They were terrifyingly familiar, spirits that often haunted his dreams yet now in his feverish agony felt so real. Why are you here, he wanted to say. These were spirits which needed to find peace, not linger in this life as they glared in disatisfaction at them.

Several child spirits approached his bed, watched by a distant mother. Why must I be tormented by those looks from my own children and wife, stolen from me over the years by the curse of disease? [2]

"You are a man who has lived poorly," the voice of his withered old father echoed, each wrinkle on his face exactly as it was before he died in shock of hearing his clan's defeat at Hakata Bay. Even if the spirit did not talk, he heard the voice clear as day. "Your emotions controlled every decision you made and led you to this place."

"You abandoned your duties to our clan all for the sake of petty revenge? It is fortunate you were never the heir," the voice of his older brother Tsunesuke spoke.

"I lost my life and still faithfully served my Shogun and Emperor, you lost only your arm and betrayed everything," his nephew Moritsune chided.

The voices rose to a crescendo, tormenting Kagesuke as he lay there so injured. I did it all for your sake, he thought. Were it not for the Houjou clan, I would not have needed to go to such lengths to defeat the invader. I am indeed a traitor, but I will not always be a traitor. The time will come when one day, these clans loyal to me will expel the invader and save Japan. I am only in this pitiful situation now because I foolishly permitted the Houjou to once again stand in my way.

Yet before he lost himself to madness, he felt his body shaking and suddenly awoke.

"Master, master?" a voice called. Kagesuke awoke, seeing a servant hunched over him, checking his wounds. Even if his body felt better than it had since the assassination attempt, his spirit certainly did not. He stared up at a low ceiling, the rough and simple wooden ceiling of a small village temple. Is this too a dream? This house is so much like the one I awoke after the battle I surely should have perished at.

"It is good you are awake," another voice said as a door slid open. Sitting down was Mouri Tsunemitsu, looking more aged than ever. Kagesuke thought of the reason for his survival before it suddenly dawned on him--Asahara and his allies failed in whatever scheme they had.

"It seems I cannot die just yet," Kagesuke said. "Is Houjou Tanetoki dead?"

"Yes, my lord. He was assassinated on orders of Lord Miura Yorimori. His household and many of his vassals have committed suicide or are now in exile on the mainland. So Miura remained loyal. Even if he should've been enthralled, hearing just who quelled the rebellion worried him. Whatever Miura's aims are, they are far more grand than just establishing his power here.

"And what of the other rebels?"

"Serada Noriuji has committed suicide after he illegitimately deprived our Emperor--our King, my apologies--of the right to the Shogunate. His young son Ietoki remains in Miura's custody. It is much the same with the Asahara. As you lay recovering from your wounds secreted away here on this island, the rebellion ended with few casualties besides those who organised it."

"That is wonderful news. Yet this struggle isn't over. Until we are in a better position to defeat the Houjou clan, we must continue to lead the armies of our Emperor--'King' as they may call him--and bring justice to the liberated lands."

---​

The Kingdom of Japan bore the brunt of losses in the 1294 war, having lost at least 15,000 warriors on the field of battle. To call them successful is dubious, as they relied greatly on their Yuan and Goryeo allies to accomplish their gains of only several provinces as well the Amami Islands. Additionally, localised famines broke out due to the constant requisition of labour and rice for the war effort, and the newly conquered lands faced constant internal revolt.

The root cause of the disputes within the kingdom of Japan traced back to the decision regarding land rights in 1293. Due to the problem of imposters and potential traitors, the Mongols continued to revise the practice of restoring in their entirety land owned by defector Japanese. To those who defected before and during the war, this represented the government denying them their rights.

In the newly conquered provinces on Honshu, the Yuan strictly abided by this rule. They granted just as much land to their warriors from the mainland, including establishing soldier-farmer colonies. Other land they granted to those warriors and courtiers from Kyushu. Those who defected from those provinces at times found themselves losing parts of their land to upstarts looking to seize it, or otherwise misguided policies from Mongol governors. Only at the fringe of Mongol control in Izumo and Houki provinces did defectors manage to keep all their land thanks to Miura Yorimori's guarantees and strict supervision of land rights there.

As the long-time leader of the Kyushu samurai, Shouni Kagesuke was a warrior first and politician second. He preferred a path of moderation, viewing the Mongols as the lesser of two evils compared to the Houjou clan. Unfortunately, he had invited in a number of ambitious men, not the least including Houjou Tanetoki and Miura Yorimori. These men undermined Shouni's rule and pressed forward with their own decisions that aimed at building a powerbase.

The death of Kublai Khan in February 1294 opened an opportunity. With the Mongol Empire distracted, Houjou Tanetoki dispatched Asahara Tametsugu (younger son of Asahara Tameyori) to assassinate Shouni in March 1294. In this he failed--even with one arm, Shouni still managed to cut down Tametsugu with the blade Higekiri, but in the fighting he was wounded and subsequently became severely ill.

Houjou rose in revolt against Shouni, claiming he illegitimately killed Asahara along with a number of other grievances. He sent representatives to argue his case both the local Mongol ruler Ataghai as well as to the court in Dadu, although the kurultai (succession council) determining the next Yuan Emperor precluded any radical decisions. Houjou allied himself with Serada Noriuji and seized control of Hakata where they took the royal court hostage. King Tanehito was forced to yield the position of shogun to Serada Noriuji, who then granted the position of shikken to Houjou.

The coup would have been a complete success had Miura Yorimori taken Houjou's side. True to his scheming character, he remained neutral to both Shouni and Houjou, and even helped the Shouni clan escape danger by relocating them to a remote island in Higo Province. Furthermore, he acquired Serada Noriuji's young son Ietoki (世良田家時) as hostage. Miura based his stance on the Mongols not having ruled in favour of either party, although it seems he held the ulterior motive of making himself indispensible to the winner.

The local Mongol forces likewise remained neutral, as Houjou did not interfere with the collection of tribute. Instead, Houjou and Serada concerned themselves with reinstituting the warrior government they knew best. They officially created numerous allies as hereditary land stewards, decreeing that all but the smallest estates required their presence. This was a stark contrast from Mongol policy, where the land stewards had been abolished in favour of direct ownership and proprietorship.

By May 1294 however, the Mongol succession had peacefully resolved itself in favour of Temur Khan. The Mongols accepted Shouni Kagesuke's side of the dispute and soon came to view Houjou and Serada as dangerous usurpers whose economic policies threatened to undermine Mongol rule. They ordered the Kingdom of Japan to reverse these decrees and demanded Houjou, Serada, and other prominent backers be exiled to Liaoyang along with their entire households.

Houjou and Serada refused and raised 8,000 warriors from the Amami Islands alongside conscripted peasants and the land stewards they had created. With his links to Sado, Serada recruited many from that wartorn island. They fortified the castles around Mouji in preparation for an attack by Burilgitei's warriors crossing from Nagato Province on Honshu.

The attack never came. Miura Yorimori and his retainers betrayed the rebellion from within in July 1294 and assassinated Houjou. The rebel army started melting away, first beginning with Chikama Tokiie's departure back to Amami, leaving Serada with only 3,000 men. Miura besieged Takasu Castle () in Chikuzen Province, where after a short siege, Serada committed suicide many of his troops. The most prominent survivor of his forces, Takasu Castle's elderly castellan Harada Tanefusa (原田種房), was executed not long after.

The Mongols treated the surviving rebels harshly, at first deporting around 3,000 households of Japanese to Liaoyang, but through Miura's intervention they were sent to Ezo instead. To compensate this "lesser" sentence, Miura entrusted care of these households to several of his kinsmen as well as those already present on Ezo--most prominently this included Ashina Yasumori, whose clan was to play a prominent role in Ezo's politics from that point forth.

Miura Yorimori was greatly rewarded for his deeds. The post of rensho (連署, cosigner) was a Kamakura Shogunate title that lay unused in the Kingdom of Japan, yet now this post was created for Miura. As Shouni Kagesuke by this point was getting old and suffering from illness due to his many injuries, Miura effectively became the most powerful man in the Kingdom of Japan through being the one to control access and sign off on Shouni's decrees. Among these reforms Miura instated were restrictions on direct appeals, a practice which Shouni prominently used since his defection to assist--and control--the community of elite Japanese defectors. While perhaps necessary for solidarity in the early days, by 1294 the position of Japanese defectors was stable enough that it might be safely abolished to avoid corruption.

Miura likewise ingratiated himself to the Mongols for his success in quelling the rebellion and his refusal to take aggressive action, deemed a levelheaded measure. In the Zhengdong occupation government that served as the Yuan's administrative superstructure, Temur Khan moved around many administrators in 1294, and Miura only benefitted, as displayed below:

Zhengdong Right Chancellor - King Tanehito of Japan
Zhengdong Left Chancellor - Ataghai (reassigned to equivalent post in mainland China) -> Cheligh-Temur
Zhengdong Marshal - Li Ting (reassigned to Marshal of the Capital) -> Burilgitei
Zhengdong Right Secretary - Fan Wenhu (reassigned to equivalent post in mainland China) -> Hong Jung-gyeon
Zhengdong Left Secretary - Cheligh-Temur (promoted to Left Chancellor) -> Miura Yorimori

This assignment made Miura Yorimori the highest-ranking Japanese in the Mongol Empire, one who outranked even Shouni Kagesuke (who only retained his post as Zhengdong Vice-Marshal) despite Shouni holding a higher Japanese rank. Miura's skill at convincing numerous clans to defect proved crucial to his advancement, and he even began to marry his relatives to prominent Zhengdong families. He ingratiated himself with the Mongols to the point his half-brother Sawara Tametsura (佐原為連) achieved the leadership of Tsushima Prefecture, a directly governed territory of the Yuan. In every respects, Miura Yorimori was to the Mongols what Hong Bok-wan was to Goryeo decades before--a social striver with skills of great persuasion who helped bridge the administrative divide.

The rebellion exposed weaknesses within the Kingdom of Japan that required Yuan intervention to repair. Thus in June 1295, Temur Khan issued the Gentei Formulary (元貞式目), a monumental set of laws meant for the Mongol administration in Japan constructed with the aid of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese scholars. Through this, the Yuan ironically confirmed the continuation of land steward appointments to pacify the restless, land-hungry warrior class, although their number and prominence was greatly reduced. Yet now, they became a prerogative of the Yuan's own local government.

Thus, anyone who claimed themselves a land steward was forced to have permission from the local bureaucracy, and in addition was forced to have a Yuan deputy magistrate. It would be these frequent land disputes that ensured the Yuan and their vassal Japanese kept fine public records of landholding through frequent surveys, a sharp contrast to the rest of Japan where such government interference was considered unwelcome [3].

These surveys were conducted on Chinese lines, centralising the village as the primary unit of society and streamlining the various sorts of fields and estates. Actual land ownership did not change, but the people whom the landowners dealt with certainly did. New ranks of bureaucrats were established at every level, and their agencies staffed with both those who formed the bureaucracy under the old system as well as foreign magistrates from Goryeo and China. Typically these foreigners served as darughachi, the Mongol supervisors of the system.

The system was not without bias. Mongol administrators gave much more leeway with landowners of preferred ethnic groups. Japanese-controlled landholdings shrank by perhaps 5-10% relative to previous years. Particularly affected were religious institutions, especially Shinto shrines or Buddhist schools such as Zen Buddhists with many Song Chinese clergy. The surveyers took great liberties in shaving off portions of their land, weakening their power and strengthening those loyal to the Yuan.

The Gentei Formulary marked the decisive end of the policy of restoring of prior land rights. Defectors were not given any portion of their former land should they raise a claim for it, at least assuming the current occupier had a legitimate claim. This caused some controversy within the royal court, as their claims to land they had collected income from for centuries were both numerous and litigation regarding it bitter.

One case involved Konoe Kanenori, most famous for keeping a detailed journal of the case and his frustration. Konoe's family owned Shimazu-no-shou, the largest estate in all Japan that spanned three provinces. The estate had been thoroughly divided in 1285, but Konoe demanded it returned to him so he might distribute it to his loyal family members. His case had lasted since his defection in 1291, and was especially an issue given he was the regent (sesshou) of Japan, the highest rank of all courtiers.

Konoe faced opposition from not just the Mongol-appointed land owners, but Chikama Tokiie and his clan as well as branches of the Shimazu and Chiba clans, who had been land stewards at Shimazu-no-shou for decades. Shouni Kagesuke had ruled in favour of the warrior clans, but Konoe appealed directly to the Mongols, petitioning Kublai Khan himself.

This case likely shaped the specifics of the Gentoku Formulary. For instance, no estate was to consist of land outside one province, an attempt at controlling the limited amount of land compared to the large number of claimants. Thus, Shimazu-no-shou was dissolved outside the province of Satsuma (where it still formed almost 60% of the land in that province). Within Satsuma, Shimazu-no-shou was partitioned between the Chikama, the Shimazu, the Chiba, and the Konoe along with several minor landowners. Konoe thus received less than 10% of the land he claimed.

The greatest complication with the Gentei Formulary arose with the Yuan insistence on separating the civil and military realms, called in Japanese heinou bunri (兵農分離). Military households were to be registered and thereafter only allowed military positions. Kublai Khan had made it his policy, but had great difficulty carrying it out in China made no attempt to apply it to Japan. In the Kingdom of Japan, this was likely intended as a means of reducing the number of local warriors and forcing their reliance on Yuan salaries instead of tribute they extracted from their land.

The leaders of warrior families maintained that status, appointing junior lines to enter civilian service. This was much the same as had been done prior with junior branches governing large estates. Warrior families used their status to keep their superiority over even the wealthier peasants, reserving for themselves the right to become warrior families. At the same time, a dearth of bureaucrats ensured that as according to Yuan custom, warriors would occasionally be tasked to fill certain offices. The system thus proved effective in solidifying the status of warriors over peasants while also letting them enforce discipline within their clan through rewards of office [4].

Concessions were made to warrior families. Unlike Yuan China, the Kingdom of Japan had a huge number of military posts available thanks to the influence of Shouni Kagesuke and Miura Yorimori, both of whom sought to counter the Mongol decree out of conservatism. The institution of land stewards found themselves many successors, for even at the village level, a village military captain and lieutenant were appointed for community defense, policing, and procurement of supplies.

In many locations, the "old" military nobles used their status to deny the peasants whose status rose under the Yuan the right to register as warriors. In 1297, Shouni Kagesuke and Miura Yorimori decreed that all military households must demonstrate a past history of service. This was only a partial measure, for the records often still lay at Kyoto and Kamakura or had otherwise been destroyed. The methods allowed in stead of this gave rise to widespread fraud.

The newly wealthy families disproportionately entered careers as bureaucrats. Often they were employed by the Yuan rather than the Kingdom of Japan. Others swelled the ranks of the royal court's bureaucracy, even if their low status prevented them from rising to the position courtiers might. This contributed to a renewal of the court's influence, although arguably it perfected the system of military supervision of civilian government desired by the Minamoto no Yoritomo [5].

Regardless of its many difficulties, this system greatly simplified the procurement and supply of warriors and armies from Japan. Warriors could now entirely focus on training and readiness as opposed to bureaucratic tasks, leaving their holdings to their distant kin while receiving a guaranteed salary. All warriors were required to spend a certain number of days at centralised points where they would drill, conduct patrols, and capture criminals. Additionally, a warrior might be summoned for guard duty at any moment. The Kingdom of Japan thus assembled a great standing army far more trained and ready than any equivalent among the Kamakura Shogunate.

The economy of the Kingdom of Japan gradually recovered from the conflicts and rebellions of the 1280s. It continued importing copper coins from China as payment for its agriculture and manufactories, practically eliminating old schemes of barter. The communities of foreign moneylenders enabled a large amount of investment in the region. Among these introductions were a rudimentary form of double-entry bookkeeping, practiced by Korean moneylenders, which was promoted in Japan by the decree of Shouni Kagesuke, who commanded the merchants and moneylenders "keep their books in the manner of those from Goryeo" in hopes it might prevent fraud and thus ease relations between the peasants and the foreigners [7].

This parallel administration involved many duplicated functions at every level due to split military and civilian posts as well as the split between Yuan and Japanese administration. Temur Khan abolished the Chinese administrative divisions imposed in 1285 (although the offshore islands of Tsushima, the Oki Islands, Sado, Iki, Hirado, and the Gotou Islands remained separate military prefectures under direct Yuan rule), reducing the number of posts, yet at the same time this came with the rule specifically created as a result of Konoe's case that no land-holding might span more than one province. Although it strengthened the province and district-level institutions, it fractured many estates which required yet more bureaucrats to manage them.

Temur Khan's reforms thus continued his grandfather's reorganisation of Japan, one which would have drastic consequences for centuries to come. Overnight, the dominant shouen system weakened yet further, bringing with it great social changes none could have foreseen. Among these were the greater strength of villages and smallscale farmers in negotiating with higher authorities, represented by the formation of village councils, nominally to assist the Yuan bureaucracy.

This reorganisation of land impacted the structure of agriculture. With their more direct ties to the land and common availability of moneylenders, landowners now had far greater incentive and ability to fund improvements and reclamation of their land. Further, new cultivars of plants such as Champa rice improved the productivity, as did the introduction of new breeds of livestock and indeed new domesticates in general such as sheep and goats (brought by Central Asian landowners) [7]. Because tribute demands remained similar, the lower classes increased in wealth.

Village councils permitted the organisation of protests termed do-ikki (土一揆), where entire populations of villages followed directions of their council and refused tax payments, sometimes even violently assaulting bureaucrats. The first of these occurred in 1297 in Chikugo Province, where sixty villagers demanded a reduction in tribute, beat a local magistrate, and even evicted several fellow villagers who disagreed with their decision. Although suppressed with the deportation of the village leaders, it was but the beginnings of peasants as an unignorable force in Japan.

The greater wealth and organisation of peasants promoted a great religious revival. Much of this was driven by the spread of Pure Land Buddhism. A popular religious movement despite strong opposition by both established Buddhist sects and the new sect of Nichiren, Pure Land Buddhists believed that devotion to Amida Buddha and chanting his name (nembutsu) was enough to gain rebirth in a better land as opposed to the intensive demands other Buddhist schools claimed. Peasants and village leaders donated extensively to the preachers of these movements, creating a network of many temples and meeting grounds throughout Mongol-ruled Japan.

For the elite, the religious revival continued in the form of Zen Buddhism, particularly of the Rinzai sect. While Song Buddhist Zen monks and those who studied under them remained persecuted, the Yuan government ensured they were replaced by more loyal monks. For the elite military families such as the Shouni (who had played a special role in funding early Zen monks in the late 12th century), or the royal court at Hakata, demand for Zen monks remained high due to their knowledge not just of Buddhism, but of Confucianism and Taoism as well as cultural arts such as poetry, calligraphy, and painting.

The most famed of these from this period was Yishan Yining (一山一寧), who arrived in 1294. He sought to bridge the gap between China and Japan and was a highly effective teacher of zen, as well as calligrapher, poet, and writer. Many future Zen monks of note--even those from the Shogunate--would study under him, and he was to play an important role in spreading Chinese culture within Japan. Yishan's fame combined with the Shouni clan's patronage helped turn Hakata into an important center for Buddhism and culture in general.

Perhaps the most popular Buddhist school in Mongol-ruled Japan was Ji-shuu (時宗, sometimes translated as the "Time Sect"). It had been founded by the monk Ippen (一遍), a member of Shikoku's Kawano clan who had taken a monastic lifestyle. One day he received a vision from Amida Buddha in the form of a Shinto kami, setting out a religious mission for him. Ippen had traveled throughout Japan, preaching his version of Pure Land Buddhism which centered on a "single-minded devotion" to the nembutsu. Ippen identified Shinto kami with Amida Buddha and his pure land, incorporating a particular form of Shinto into his rituals. Most famously, these included rituals of fanatical dancing and chanting, the so-called dancing nembutsu, which proved extremely popular. A meticulous record keeper, Ippen kept books of the names of his believers organised by location.

Ippen had traveled to Mongol-ruled Japan shortly before his death in 1289, where the wartorn land took great solace in his preaching and rituals. His successor, the monk Shinkyou (真教), likewise continued these travels and frequently visited the Kingdom of Japan. Unlike Ippen, who burnt his writings in a spirit of fanaticism, Shinkyou wrote down his doctrine. Others of Ippen's followers gathered together Ippen's words and sermons and by the mid-1290s had compiled a substantial body of literature.

While most popular among peasants, Ji-shuu gained greater organisation as the preferred religion of the numerous lower-class individuals who found themselves landowners due to their support of the Mongols. Despite their increased wealth, sometimes so dramatically increased they rivaled what local military clans possessed before 1281, their religious mindset often remained intact. These new clans frequently sponsored Ji-shuu temples, including a great temple in Hakata that effectively served as the headquarters of the sect.

The Kamakura Shogunate disliked Ji-shuu and sometimes persecuted its followers as heretics. These persecutions increased in intensity after 1294 as Ji-shuu began becoming associated with pro-Mongol turncoats. This was far from the truth--it was never promoted by the Kingdom of Japan, nor the Yuan dynasty, but its support by the most fanatical of anti-Shogunate forces--those newly-landed men--ensured this perception.

The Kingdom of Japan spread Ji-shuu to Ezo through the deportation of Japanese households there. Shinkyou understood through a follower that many had been deported there, and traveled to Ezo in 1296. There, he preached across the island, achieving not just many Japanese followers, but even some followers among the Ainu and Jiliemi. They constructed several temples, including a temple at Yi'an, the first known Buddhist temple in Ezo.

Ji-shuu was not alone in seeking converts on Ezo. The ever belligerant Andou Gorou routinely funded the travels of the monk Nichiji (日持), one of the six successors of Nichiren. Although lacking the combativeness of his teacher, Nichiji found the spread of Ji-shuu on Ezo disturbing and endeavoured to set right the religious landscape of the island. His travels there in 1296 would both be a famous exploration of the island, a great confrontation between two popular new schools of Buddhist thought, and even indirectly lay the groundwork for the inevitable renewal of war between the Mongols and Kamakura Shogunate.
---
Author's notes
This was originally one chapter, but I decided it worked best as two. The Kingdom of Japan I felt needed some additional focus, particularly since its Mongol-backed land reforms and other policies are very revolutionary in the medieval Japanese context. The rebellion at the beginning I feel would be an inevitable internal power struggle, given the diversity of defectors and the likelihood of them clashing with the initial defectors over practically any issue.

The Kamakura era has an association with with Buddhism, and it felt necessary to show the impact of the Mongol invasions on Buddhism. It is debateable which Buddhist schools would thrive or decline, but I find Ji-shuu one with interesting prospects, particularly in the Kingdom of Japan given Nichiren Buddhism (also one with obviously good prospects during such a bleak era) is officially persecuted there.

The next chapter will focus on the Kamakura Shogunate and the Ezo Shogunate, mostly economic and religious notes as this chapter. Thanks for reading!

[1] - The Serada clan is a branch of the Nitta clan. The Nitta, along with their close relatives the Ashikaga, were among the foremost branch of the Seiwa Genji lineage. The Asahara were also Seiwa Genji, but from a less prestigious lineage. In any case, they all held greater prestige than non-Seiwa Genji like the Houjou (hence Serada Noriuji's OTL exile to Sado) or Shouni. OTL this was a factor in why the Ashikaga aided the destruction of the Houjou in 1333.
[2] - While Shouni Kagesuke was almost certainly married as any Japanese noble of his status, it is likely any sons died in childhood. Women are poorly recorded in medieval Japanese chronicles (usually unnamed as a wife or mother of a male figure), and because Kagesuke does not seem to have been father in law or grandfather of any notable figures, it is likely he had no surviving descendents.
[3] - Land surveys were done on a case by case basis for much of Japanese history, as the land owner in distant Kyoto/Nara generally did not have the ability to survey his own land and other land administrators lacked the rights. It benefitted many for the elite to not know just how much the land was worth so they might keep their tax burden to a minimum. IOTL, Toyotomi Hideyoshi's land surveys in the late 16th century are considered revolutionary and indeed are what I based this on.
[4] - Heinou bunri was the term used OTL for Toyotomi Hideyoshi's attempt to create separate statuses for warriors and peasants. It was a recurring problem in Chinese history, one which Kublai Khan sought to solve OTL, but given the vast empire he ruled and the fact many positions within his empire were both civilian and military, naturally experienced many difficulties. The same issue would likely occur in Japan as well, but it is a step forward.
[5] - The civil governors and their aides during the Kamakura Shogunate still wielded a significant amount of power, particularly before the rise of the Houjou clan. There was to a degree a "separation of power" at the provincial level (as there was the national level) between Imperial and Shogunal governments, although at lower levels the institution of land stewards (jito) caused many problems between civil and military authorities. Essentially, this was not the powerless imperial government of later centuries, and as the Kingdom of Japan roots itself in Kamakura's law and style of governance, this situation prevails there
[6] - Forms of double-entry bookkeeping were used since at least the Roman Empire, including in China since the Tang dynasty (perhaps an introduction from Muslim trade). It seems to have been especially prominent in Goryeo, but doesn't appear to have been used in Japan before the Edo Period.
[7] - Sheep and goats were known in Japan since the 1st millennia through trade, but don't appear to have been natively raised until the 15th century and even then were not extensively raised until the early 20th century.

Last edited:
Will we see Vajrayana monks visiting Japan? Or any influence over Shingon?

Any mahasangati to centralize Buddhist doctrine in Yuan Empire?

Last edited:
I wonder if the integration of parts of Japan in the Mongol Sinicized Yuan political and economical sphere along with the gatherings and/or closer contacts of Continental and Japanese Scholars and the spread of new and competing Buddhist schools of thought could perhaps set the stage for a TTL literary/philosophical sort of literary/cultural boom in the KoJ.. One, that even could be helped through a possible spread from Goryeo Korea of the
(movable metal type) Printing Press...

So a great update and clears things on administration of the new Japanese Kingdom.

Land reforms allowing lower class to emerge as a powerful faction within the Kingdom with Mongol support speaks volumes for revolution in a socioeconomic sense. The wage bound warrior class is being put on a long leash but it might get shorter when Mongols finally lose Japan. The diarchy between warriors and civil servants of the same lineage means there will be less likely an all powerful clan member representing his lineage. It might be a group of clan members calling the shots with one or two more equal amongst them. Kinda like medieval Italy then.

The religion was a nice touch and we have syncretic sufi style Ji shuu buddhism that becomes popular among lower class and the 'mongrel lords'. This will only further ensure the divide between Samurai and the others which might mean 'King' and Shikken might have more power than previously thought.

In short, this consolidated Kingdom of Japan has more chance of winning against the fractured Kamakura Shogunate, there might be no Sengoku Jidai but I'm speaking too early.

I will probably put out something on Thursday or Friday. I've been busy, and among the things I've been busy with is researching and writing for this TL since I'm working on a few later entries at once.

Of the chapters I have planned, I believe I will be taking a break from this TL to go back to A Horn of Bronze in maybe 6-7 entries. Don't worry, I'll be stopping at a good point.
Will we see Vajrayana monks visiting Japan? Or any influence over Shingon?

Any mahasangati to centralize Buddhist doctrine in Yuan Empire?
I'm not sure. Based on what I can find (and one of the best sources on Shingon in this era only has brief excerpts on Google Books, no Libgen copy), the most powerful patron of the Shingon school in this era was retired emperor Go-Uda, who was a rival of the lineage which TTL has one of its members installed as "King of Japan" by the Yuan. Go-Uda took an active interest in Shingon affairs and was initiated into that religion. The Hino family of court nobles were also very prominent in Shingon, and I would assume at least some would have joined the Kingdom of Japan's court (as many of them supported Tanehito OTL, where he was Emperor Go-Fushimi), so Shingon in the Kingdom of Japan could look to China or Tibet for learning. I'd assume that's more likely/more common to happen than the other way around.

But it seems in this era, the general trend of Japanese Buddhism was incorporating it into a Japanese context rather than looking for legitimacy from China or India, and since some of the favoured Shingon rituals were performed for protecting the nation's peace, its government, its ruler, etc., I feel the influence can't go too far (and in any case is more likely to come from developments in Chinese esoteric Buddhism). Foreign Buddhists among those Chinese, Koreans, Mongols, etc. who settled in Japan (mostly Kyushu) would still be seen as foreign.

I don't think the Yuan would be able to centralise Buddhism, even if they did favour Tibetan Buddhism and a Tibetan lama was nominally the head of all Buddhist clergy and temples.
I wonder if the integration of parts of Japan in the Mongol Sinicized Yuan political and economical sphere along with the gatherings and/or closer contacts of Continental and Japanese Scholars and the spread of new and competing Buddhist schools of thought could perhaps set the stage for a TTL literary/philosophical sort of literary/cultural boom in the KoJ.. One, that even could be helped through a possible spread from Goryeo Korea of the
(movable metal type) Printing Press...
That's certainly plausible. Probably a lot of Japanese monks studying in Yuan China or Goryeo, more than OTL, and likely influences of Taoist and Confucian thought on new practices introduced. In general there would be a lot of learning transmitted from the continent.
So a great update and clears things on administration of the new Japanese Kingdom.

Land reforms allowing lower class to emerge as a powerful faction within the Kingdom with Mongol support speaks volumes for revolution in a socioeconomic sense. The wage bound warrior class is being put on a long leash but it might get shorter when Mongols finally lose Japan. The diarchy between warriors and civil servants of the same lineage means there will be less likely an all powerful clan member representing his lineage. It might be a group of clan members calling the shots with one or two more equal amongst them. Kinda like medieval Italy then.
It's definitely revolutionary, but I feel it might take a little more to fraction clans since they're still protecting their common interests (keeping and expanding their land rights against upstarts and old local rivals alike). Interesting analysis overall.
The religion was a nice touch and we have syncretic sufi style Ji shuu buddhism that becomes popular among lower class and the 'mongrel lords'. This will only further ensure the divide between Samurai and the others which might mean 'King' and Shikken might have more power than previously thought.

In short, this consolidated Kingdom of Japan has more chance of winning against the fractured Kamakura Shogunate, there might be no Sengoku Jidai but I'm speaking too early.
Possibly. But they still have an uphill battle given Japan's geography, their own internal divisions, challenges within their main patron the Yuan, etc. But they've laid the groundwork for how they could win.

Last edited:
Chapter 10-A Road to Ruin
-X-
"A Road to Ruin"

Kyoto, Yamashiro Province, 1296​

Saionji Sanekane watched carefully the Shogunate envoy, a certain Settsu Chikamune, sitting across from him explaining the finances of the Shogunate. Even as he strenuously observed the court's protocols and manners the entire meeting, Sanekane noticed every moment he slipped up. Settsu concealed a certain desperation, as if court approval for his request was a matter of life and death for him. Such was the situation Sanekane loved seeing in those he spoke.

"As is apparent, should you not grant us this request regarding the guilds, we will have no choice but to raise the tribute demanded on the warriors if we are to combat the dual threat of pirates at sea and bandits at land," Settsu explained, inhaling deeply as he finished describing the dire situation of the Shogunate's finances.

"You need money badly enough you would make the guilds pay it? The guilds are in little better situation. There is a dire lack of coins in this land, they say, and acquiring rice is difficult at best and time consuming," Sanekane replied. "You know well the guilds are necessary for the workings of their patrons, be they the Imperial court, the shrines protecting our nation, or the temples guiding our people. They have little to spare." As he expected, Settsu's eyes widened as further tension came upon him.

"Lord Saionji, if we are unable to rebuild our fleet, then the threat of pirates will impede the activities of the guilds, as our markets will suffer further from shortages. Worse, the invader will take advantage of this threat and may even make common cause with the pirates."

"The guilds turn to men like me for protecting them. I can hardly betray them like that," Sanekane explained. "And the warrior monks of the temples are even more fearsome in protecting their patrons. It is not something I can simply order with a clear conscience, let alone do something like subjecting them to the Shogunate's tax collecting warriors."

"This is a matter of national importance! All of the land may suffer from invasion and disorder should financial and military matters not improve," Settsu said, desperation clearer than ever. "As in the past, I am sure the Shogunate can do many things for the Imperial Court should it be necessary."

Sanekane concealed a smile, hearing those words he was waiting for. These men did dispose of many irritations in the court like that annoying Kyougoku poet. Yet they will need to go well beyond banishing my enemies to be worth my time.

"Can they now? I have not seen revenue from some of my estates in Kyushu and the San'indo in many years. What are your land stewards doing?"

"That is a great tragedy, and one in which we are trying to correct every single day," Settsu replied.

"Perhaps your land stewards are not capable of the job? I have heard many things regarding the state of those men."

"Wh-what do you propose, Lord Saionji?" Settsu said, his nervousness indicating his defeat.

"I propose you take seriously the complaints of the estate propietors regarding misconduct by the land stewards. The Shogunate possesses a fine court for these complaints, but it is not efficient enough. Perhaps there should be additional judges to expedite appeals--I am certain my office could assist you in finding men for the job."

"I understand. I will report that matter to Kamakura at once." Once again, Saionji concealed a smile. The Shogunate will never let me appoint my men directly to offices under their aegis, but certainly my men will play a role in just who serves in these additional seats.

"This is a very important matter. There are many complaints the courts will not even accept requests regarding the debts owed by land stewards and other warriors."

"Forgive me, that was a direct order from Lord Houjou Sadatoki himself, and will be difficult to alter." Settsu wiped sweat from his brow--he was wide open for any proposals.

"Perhaps it may be altered on a case by case basis," Sanekane proposed. "Certain temples and shrines and nobles need their money more than others, and I am certain that should the courts be readily open to concerns from these men, the guilds will accept your interference on their revenue."

"Very well, I will ensure Lord Houjou hears of this. Do you have other concerns regarding the land stewards, Lord Saionji?"

"I am concerned for their rights as subjects of the Emperor. A certain law issued nearly 55 years ago forbids land stewards to appoint monks and moneylenders as their deputies [1]. I suggest that law be revised, for the guilds and their associates may have need of additional sources of incomes."

"Of course, Lord Saionji, that is perfectly reasonable," Settsu said. He understands he is powerless to resist. "Unfortunately, I believe I have much on my mind to report to the Shogunate. Do you have any final requests?"

"The exalted retired Emperor requests that taxation on these guilds be enforced through the Imperial Police, rather than through Shogunate officials, for this matter concerns both court and Emperor." Taxing these guilds will bring us much money indeed. You warriors are not the only ones who have fallen on hard times with how much land the traitors in Kyushu have stolen.

"The Imperial Police?" Settsu looked confused. "They have little strength outside Kyoto, and those in Kyoto are nothing but the dregs of society. Surely our more dignified men will bring greater efficiency."

"Let your warriors organise the defense of the nation, we will use other men to settle our internal affairs. In any case, the Shogun names the commissioner of the Imperial Police--he will find a skilled man for the job."

"Understood, Lord Saionji. I will ensure all of this is carried out. Thank you gratefully for your time." Settsu rose from the mat, his haste to leave the room apparent. Soon thereafter, Sanekane's son Kinhira entered.

"Intimidating the Shogunate's bureaucrats again, father?" he said.

"It is a job you too will do some day. Tonight you should celebrate, for the situation our nation finds itself in has begun to improve considerably. The warriors who defend our nation will be celebrated forever, yet above all it will be the Saionji family, for without us, the warriors would never have gained the strength needed for victory.."

---
Karafuto, 1297​

Waying sat around the campfire on a frigid winter night, wondering just why the two Jiliemi chiefs wanted to speak with him. Scars of battle pocked their sour faces, as the older of the chiefs glared suspiciously at Waying. No doubt he was wary of all Ainu men, and the whorls of Waying's robes, his spiral earrings, and long beard marked him as such just as the patterns and colours of the robe and distinct hat marked his counterparts as Jiliemi. Even if their people had been at peace nearly a generation, lingering resentment remained.

"The people around here say you withhold food that belongs to the Great Khan," the Jiliemi man said. "Why are you so bold as to do that and risk his wrath, despite all you have been rewarded in his service?"

Waying stared the man in the face, ascertaining the chief's intentions. Yet he asked not as one of the cruel interrogators of the men from the mainland, but as someone seeking advice.

"I serve that Great Khan only in my duty to my kin. My people entrust me to provide for them, so I must take little as possible."

The Jiliemi chiefs glanced at each other before the older of the two cleared his throat.

"You risk so much. How have your villages not been turned to ash or their people sent far away as my own?"

"I do not know. I believe the invader respects my fighting prowess, and I discovered those outsiders need only see those goods I've acquired through raiding to lessen their outrageous demands."

"If the Great Khan or his men discover you have collected tribute in that manner, you shall surely be destroyed," the older man warned. "His eyes and ears are numerous as spawning salmon."

"It is worth that risk. The people of this land are suffering, and have suffered too long," Waying said. "You have seen it too, I am sure, the pain on the face of every man, woman, and child in your villages. In nearly twenty years I served him, the Great Khan has brought nothing but evil spirits draining away life and vitality and bringing violence into our country."

The look on the two Jiliemi chiefs spoke volumes. Far from being an enemy nation, let alone his personal enemies, they seemed to be allies in the same cause.

"I have served him for perhaps 25 years and cannot say I have seen differently," the older Jiliemi said. "I know you have not either, cousin."

"You lead a thousand warriors who hail from many villages," the younger Jiliemi man said. "The two of us lead a hundred each. All of our men are loyal and brave. It is a shame we do not use their might to ask the Great Khan for a better deal."

"To rebel against him...!" the older Jiliemi's eyes went wide with fear. "Then the Great Khan's warriors would do the same to our own people as they did to the Ainu!"

"It can be done," Waying interjected. "As you say, our 1,200 warriors hail from many villages. Should we lead the way, how many more might follow us?"

Silence filled the air, with only the crackles of flames producing any sound. The thought of daring to rebel chilled Waying's soul, yet he knew how few options he had. I am the most lenient of chiefs, yet I leave my people with so little they will be starving by the end of winter. They must suffer like this no more.

"Many, but will it be enough to drive off the Great Khan's warriors? Everything they can find will be burned to ashes," the younger chief asked.

"If you are willing to fight with me, it can be done," Waying said. "Far to the south lives the Hi-no-moto Shogun. We have fought his men in battle many times, yet he fights us only because we serve the Great Khan. Should we seek his aid, he will give it to us out of his duty to these lands."

---
Tosa, Mutsu Province, 1297​

Andou Gorou could not believe his luck. Three prominent barbarian chiefs from the north were bowing in front of him alongside their retinue. At their feet lay great sacks stuffed to the bursting with dark pelts and a few boxes smelling faintly of fish, a worthy tribute to a ruler such as he. That man in the center commanded a thousand warriors for the invaders, yet now he serves me. At last they had respected his authority as Hi-no-moto Shogun, perhaps soon they'd even accept the truth of the Lotus Sutra!

"You may rise," Gorou ordered to the three chiefs. The two on either side, unbearded men of some other barbarian group, rose to a seated position first, but the man in the center, his beard thick and body bulky as all Ainu men, remained bowing.

"I grant you the utmost respect, Lord Andou," the chief said. "For you are willing to answer our pleas for aid."

"I answer your pleas for aid because my duty is working with your people to enrich us both. Now rise, tell me what concerns you?" Gorou smiled--this was no mere dispute between barbarians like he often heard, nor the damned fools complaining of the preaching of the Lotus Sutra. These men held opportunity, the opportunity to deal a blow against the most mortal enemies of his clan, his nation, and the dharma.

"The invader has brought our lands to starvation, and we will not tolerate this any longer. Please, deliver us food and weapons so we might act as your shield and drive off the invader in the north."

Drive off the invader...perhaps they'll be a useful tool against those in my clan who refuse to recognise my leadership. If these barbarians revolt against the invader, then Suemura's rebel state loses its strongest backer.

"How many men do you need equipped?" Gorou asked. "If you are truthful in your intention to overthrow the invader's tyranny, you must strike with as many warriors as you can."

"Combined we command 1,200 warriors. But every able-bodied male, and even many women will join our ranks once the battles begin," one of the chiefs answered. "Such is our people's way of battle."

Gorou narrowed his eyes, trying to ascertain their skill. Each seemed a veteran warrior and leader, and no doubt helped lead the invasions of his land these past 15 years. Had they better ships and more men, then Mutsu would be just as dominated by the invader as Kyushu.

"Very well. For your tribute, I will provide you a dozen horses, one day of grain for 1,200 men, blades for 600 polearms, and a wise follower of the Lotus Sutra who will lead prayers to ensure your success in battle." The latter Gorou was unsure about--it would be difficult to persuade Nichiji to leave Ezo unless his relatives banished him, for he was nearly as stubborn at propogating the Lotus Sutra as his master, the great Nichiren himself. If Nichiji refuses to leave Ezo, perhaps I'll send Nanbu Sanenaga, for old as he is, Nichiren himself recognised his devotion.

The barbarians looked amongst each other pleased, but the eldest of the three scowled.

"We require more," he said. "We cannot drive them out of our land with that."

"More? Be grateful with what you already have. You will receive more should you prove your skill in battle."

The barbarians talked amongst each other for a moment, their language not the Ainu tongue Gorou knew. After the brief, but tense conversation between them, the Ainu chief look ed up Gorou.

"If the invader leaves our land, how can he continue to attack yours? A man too far from his home cannot hope to hunt bears."

Gorou's brow furled in distaste at the barbarian daring to lecture him on warfare. He has clearly spent much time among the enemy's generals, and he has combined their wisdom with the innate knowledge of the barbarian tribesmen. He was tempted to imprison the barbarian leader right there--after all, this man must have frustrated his efforts at totally crushing the invader, and not to mention aided his rebellious relatives on many occasions.

"Are you not the one they call Hi-no-moto shogun, descended from the ancient ruler of the northern lands?" the elderly barbarian chief spoke. "Can you sit back and permit your people to suffer?"

Gorou clenched his fist. What are these barbarians implying with such praise? Are they accusing me of derelicting my duty?

An idea suddenly blossomed in his head--he could aid them in more ways than simply giving them supplies. I am the one the Houjou clan entrust with the barbarian lands in pursuit of their mission to uphold the Shogunate and defend the Emperor. Yet I am also the commander of the barbarians, appointed in times before even Emperor Jimmu reigned. If I demonstrate my strength and leadership to the barbarians, then my clan will respect my strength and the invader will fall before me.

"I am indeed the Hi-no-moto Shogun, and I will carry out my clan's ancient duties and lead your--our--people into battle to uphold the dharma and expel the invader. You will join my host and guide my path, for we will strike the greatest blow against the invader he has yet suffered."

---
Nurgan, Liaoyang, 1297​

Taxiala held the paper letter from Yangwuludai in disbelief. Like so many other reports, he could hardly believe what he read. Forts burning, craftsmen massacred, livestock butchered, farmers murdered--he never heard of any destruction like this. Even Nayan and his rebel princes did not bring such devastation to this region. It was as if they sought to destroy not just the Emperor's rule in Liaoyang, but Liaoyang itself.

"My lord, thousands of enemy soldiers will soon be here at Nurgan." his lieutenant Tatardai said. "Yangwuludai commands our forces in the field. What are our options?"

Taxiala stood up, clutching the cane he increasingly relied on in his old age. He tried reasoning through the enemy's plans, recalling reports he read and heard.

"A hawk kills the sparrow, but a fire destroys the sparrow and his nest," Taxiala said. "Yet the hawk eats only the choicest meat, while the fire consumes all without heed. Let me see what is going on outside."

Tatardai and several guards led Taxiala out of the commander's quarters into the streets of Nurgan. The blustery spring day turned rainy, yet Taxiala ignored the irritation of the cold rain. He climbed the stairs of a high watchtower, and squinted his eyes as he gazed out at the floodplain of the Heilong and the forests and hills surrounding it. There, skirting the forest was a great mass of enemy soldiers. On the banks of the Heilong he noticed several more enemy soldiers, unloading large barbarian ships with their many oars and stout sails.

Just as the reports say--Ainu and Jiliemi ships. Clearly they are attacking us so we cannot crush the rebellion in Karafuto.

"I cannot believe they assembled this large of an army..." Taxiala muttered. "Yangwuludai must limit himself to harassing their lines and containing this damage."

"Should we send for reinforcements?" Yangwuludai asked, but Taxiala shook his head.

"No. Our limited forces here should be sufficient, for Nurgan sits high above the floodplain. Prevent them from foraging and destroy their boats by night. They will be forced to retreat, and then we can destroy them." The floodplain of the Heilong is an unhealthy area. Even if the local tribes are supporting them, given enough time we should have the advantage.

"As you wish, Lord Taxiala." As Yangwuludai descended the stairs to prepare his envoys, Taxiala looked out once more at the Heilong and the army assembling in the distance. How little this land has changed in thirty years. No matter how much the Hong clan seeks to tame it with their settlers, it remains the frontier of our empire.

---
Xicihuotian, Liaoyang, 1297​

Taxiala sat on horseback, trotting across the battlefield. The smell of smoke and death lingered everywhere, the result of the successful recapture of the fort. Or what remained of it, for only portions of the palisade still stood--all else had been reduced to ash. Many of the men laying dead he recognised as his own warriors, too many struck dead by those poisoned arrows those barbarians so preferred. His own body ached--at his age, even the blows of enemy weapons glancing off his armour hurt.

"My lord, Yangwuludai found a strange man among the survivors," a messenger said. Taxiala followed the man into the remains of the fort, where Yuan banners fluttered in the wind. There in a tent attended to by a Buddhist monk, he saw an ancient monk laying wounded on a mat. A set of armour--clearly Japanese--lay to the side. The monk quietly chanted the words "Namu myouhou renge kyou," ignoring those around him.

"Who is this monk?" Taxiala asked Yangwuludai.

"He is not one of the northern barbarians, but a Japanese monk. He was wounded defending the enemy leader, who also seems to be familiar." Yangwuludai gestured to a soldier, who held up an enemy banner. Taxiala's eyes widened when he saw it--a white tassled folding fan on black with two crossed hawk feathers center. The Andou clan!? They organised this raid? [2]

"That banner...!" Taxiala gasped. The old monk started laughing.

"Yes, yes, that banner, the banner under which fights one of the few warriors in Japan who truly strives toward enlightenment in this age of declining dharma," the monk said, coughing. "Why are you so surprised to see it here, barbarian? We only seek your enlightenment."

"Why was he here? Your 'Shogunate' agreed to cease their attacks on our forces three years ago," Taxiala asked.

"Our actions bring enlightenment to this barbarian land. We cannot stand by and let your evil oppress the poor, even if the poor may be barbarians."

"He babbles on like this," Yangwuludai said. "This old monk is delirious and has not long to live."

"Treat him well. Give him water and food, and force him to eat and drink if he refuses it," Taxiala ordered. "The capital needs to know about the Japanese rebels leading incursions into our lands."

"Learn from me? I can only teach you the proper understanding of the Lotus Sutra. Everything else is meaningless."

"Tell us your name," Yangwuludai ordered, knife pointed at the man. But the old man just smiled.

"Before I wholly devoted myself to the dharma, I was Nanbu Sanenaga," the old monk explained. "Your people have done much evil to my clan, for you killed my dear son Saburou, so devout in his faith and understanding [3]. It is through my faith in the Lotus Sutra that I teach freely its truths to even those who are my enemies."

"We'll get nothing from him for now," Taxiala muttered. "Report this matter to the capital, and let us bring this man back to Nurgan for now." He looked at the Andou clan banner laying on the ground. And so we have won the first battle of this war to come, yet how many more must we win before these Japanese cease spreading chaos?

---

Situation in Shogunal Japan

The Shou'ou Invasion marked the second great defeat of Japan to the Mongols. Their losses had been steep, albeit not as tremendous as the first invasion. Hundreds of ships had been sank and tens of thousands of men had been killed or captured. Worse, several more provinces had fallen into the hands of the Mongols and the defection of prominent feudal lords had become an increasing concern. That the Mongols now shared a land border with Japan proved even more concerning, for this stifled the isolationist policies the Shogunate had pursued.

The moments of success during the invasion--the victories at the Kasagi Pass and especially Oze-gawa--drove Japanese policy in the aftermath. Contrary to those within the Shogunate or Imperial Court who demanded reform, these victories proved the continuing success of the Houjou clan and its institutions. It was deemed that if not for unfortunate factors, the invasion may very well have ended in a decisive Shogunate victory. This mindset permeated many places in Japanese society, including the Imperial Court--the era name had remained Banpou (万保), since the great Kamakura earthquake and abdication of the emperor in 1293.

Domestically, the policies of Houjou Sadatoki that aimed for reconciliation between partisans of Adachi Yasumori and Taira Yoritsuna reached full fruit. In 1295, he took the unprecedented step of ordering the debts of the Shogunate vassals cancelled, banned the sale of their lands without shogunate permission, and restored lands which had already been sold. This law went far beyond what Adachi attempted. Yet to reconcile with Taira's followers, enforcement of this law was lax, especially after the first year of the policy when complaints from temples and the court reversed it.

Although no minister at this point wielded the power that Adachi or Taira had, there were many strong contendors. Nagasaki Mitsutsuna (長崎光綱), Taira's cousin, was the strongest contendor, for his clan had eminently served the ranks the Houjou's personal vassals for decades. Yet Sadatoki was wary of granting too much power to him and his clan, lest they prevent his scheme at reconciliation or worse, try and seize power. As a result, Nagasaki accomplished fairly little relative to the schemes of his predecessors while his son Nagasaki Morimune (長崎盛宗) was passed over for all manner of promotions [4].

The awarding of lands for service remained an extreme difficulty. While tens of thousands of warriors died or turned traitor in the Shou'ou Invasion, their lands increasingly devolved to the Houjou clan or their personal vassals. Although Sadatoki attempted to reward both Shogunal vassals and Houjou vassals equally, inevitably the latter party gained the best lands.

Worse, the large number of war deaths provoked inevitable inter-clan disputes regarding ownership and division of lands. These cases clogged the court system of the Shogunate, which the Shogunate responded through increasing the number of judges and other bureaucrats in the system. These men were promoted based on loyalty and were often inexperienced, resulting in much controversy.

If there was a bright side, Houjou's policies reduced the internal disputes within his clan. With their increasing powerbase across Japan, prominent or ambitious relatives could be sated with new lands and important posts such as military governors. By 1297, the Houjou clan governed around half of the provinces under Shogunate control and owned an ever increasing amount of land. They were particularly active in Mutsu and Dewa Provinces, where land confiscated from the Miura clan branch families devolved to the Houjou or their direct vassals (particularly the Andou).

Because many court cases took so long and the results were often disputed, local lords took justice into their own hands. Inter-clan violent increased, as did small-scale battles throughout Japan. The shogunate considered these akutou activities, yet it seemed the akutou problem only grew graver by the day. It became common to speak of provinces hosting a dozen or more akutou fortresses, a stark contrast from prior days where even a single akutou fortress was a surprising occurrence.

The economic situation remained in decline after the Shou'ou Invasion. The Inland Sea, one of Japan's core trading routes, became unsafe for travel due to both the Kingdom of Japan's pirates as well as Shogunate pirates trying to recoup lost income and lands. In particular, the Kutsuna clan attacked ships from all parties and helped turn the island of Shikoku into a pirate haven. Matters were no better on land for the large number of akutou made travel unsafe.

A general factor in the decline of the Shogunate's economy was far more pernicious however. By the mid-13th century, the Shogunate's economy was increasingly monetised, where prior systems of barter were replaced with Chinese copper coins, mostly Song Dynasty. The invasion of Japan and subsequent bans of trade with Yuan's sphere cut off the Shogunate from these sources of coins, creating an economic crisis.

The prior system of barter could not return--the coins had proved too convenient for the Shogunate's economy and worse, commonly bartered goods were more difficult to transport than ever due to the increased problem with bandits and piracy. As the coins themselves wore down, they became increasingly prone to counterfeiting. The Shogunate thus faced a deflationary spiral which crippled the activities of merchants and moneylenders, increased the debt and poverty of many (including the warrior class), and further increased social tensions.

The situation became so poor that in early 1297, Houjou Sadatoki sent a request to the Imperial Court advising them to mint new coins. Such an act was unprecedented, for coins had not been officially minted in Japan for over 350 years. However, the court was slow to consider this request, and by the time they approved the matter, the political situation in the Shogunate had greatly changed. Further, there was inevitable opposition from institutions which held large numbers of coins who (correctly) believed it would drive down their value [5].

The economic situation made equipping a new Shogunate army difficult, and thus the Shogunate was forced to turn to the temples and shrines for aid. These institutions were under the aegis of the imperial court, ensuring the Shogunate had to beg the court nobles for aid. These requests filtered through the Kanto Envoy (関東申次), a court noble responsible for dealing with the Shogunate. In the 1290s, this was the powerful and devious Grand Chancellor Saionji Sanekane (西園寺実兼), who used these Shogunate requests to strengthen his own power relative to the court.

The court, along with the temples and shrines, controlled a vast amount of land. Additionally, they acted as sponsors for guilds, exempting them from official taxation in return for tribute and dues. As finances declined, the court increasingly pressed on these institutions for donations of labour, military service, and income to the state. In turn, the court passed this income to the Shogunate as needed, although withheld much of it for themselves. Responsible for collecting these new and increased dues were the Imperial Police Agency (検非違使), assigned by retired emperor Go-Uda (father of reigning emperor Go-Nijou) for the task [6].

The retired emperor Go-Uda used these new prerogatives to aid his allies at court (at the expense of those who supported the rival Jimyou-in line) as well as his preferred temples. At times, this provoked riots in the streets of Kyoto from violent warrior monks who found Go-Uda or the court pressing too hard on their temple, but even this served as a source of income and strength. Go-Uda decreed that guilds associated with temples pay a portion of their revenue to the imperial court for the "upkeep of order"--in lieu of this tax, they might donate their priests and monks to "serving the spiritual needs of the nation's warriors", a euphemism for contributing armed monks to defensive garrisons. Only Go-Uda's own favouritism for particular temples (such as the major Shingon temple of Tou-ji in Kyoto) and continued resistance from armed monks prevented a universal enforcement of the decree, yet it served as an important precedent.

These institutions demanded recompense from the Shogunate. In addition to being granted additional land rights directly from the Houjou, this came in the form of expanding Shogunate courts. The members of these courts, who while part of the military nobility, were named to their posts by the Imperial court, and in particular by the Kanto Envoy's office. Additionally, an old law restricting monks and moneylenders from being appointed deputy land stewards was revoked. This held the effect of greatly curtailing activities by land stewards that upset proprietors such as temples and court nobles, increasing the income of the latter.

It is noted that corvee demands increased in this period, bringing increasing protests from the rising do-ikki peasant movement as well as issues of peasants fleeing to avoid it. In 1295 Houjou Sadatoki decreed military service as an alternative to most forms of corvee labour. This service included training, drilling, and stationing throughout Japan for several months of the year. Because this service was less arduous, a wide variety of peasants flocked to the banner, so many that the number of armed peasants per province was restricted by 1297. From that point, only the better-off peasants were permitted to serve as warriors, yet this was sufficient to meet the Shogunate's demands for warriors.

Most dramatically, in 1296 the Shogunate was forced to relinquish control over toll barriers. This had become an increasing source of income, and one resented by temples and the imperial court. The Shogunate was now assured only enough income from these tolls to simply collect them--all other income had to be requested from increasingly powerful courtiers. As with all requests, these passed through the messengers of the powerful Saionji Sanekane.

The Shogunate did however find ways to increase their revenue. Because the Imperial Police Agency was commanded by the Shogun, revenue collected by them could be more easily taken by the Shogunate. At the bequest of Houjou Sadatoki, the Shogun, Prince Hisaaki, increasingly used these powers to boost the Shogunate's revenue, including placing several Kamakura guilds under Shogunate control to provide for the upkeep Shogun's palace.

As ever, the Shogunate was responsible for collecting taxes, and these included the national property tax on upkeep of the Imperial Palace and various national shrines. While normally this tax was infrequently issued as needed, by the mid-1290s it was demanded every year due to the financial situation and the ongoing invasions. These taxes were to help swell the coffers of both Shogunate and Imperial Court, but become a source of great tension in years to come. The Shogunate further issued their own taxes as well, most notably a tax on land to support the military governor's tax-collecting activities.

The most notorious aspect of the Shogunate's taxation policies was not even a true tax. For centuries, rice used for taxation and tribute had been measured using a wooden container called a masu (枡). Although the size of this container had gradually been rising (thus increasing the actual amount of rice demanded) since the 10th century when it measured around 720 mL, Houjou Sadatoki attempted to stabilise the measure by increasing its size even further. The new measure, called the ren-masu (鎌枡) measured around 1700 mL, a dramatic increase in size that allowed the Shogunate to collect more rice without any official increase in taxes [7]. This increase was so onerous that it was primarily used only in Eastern Japan, for the tax collectors in the Kinai region around Kyoto as well as elsewhere largely ignored this decree.

Even all of this failed to correct the sagging financial situation the Shogunate found itself in. They frequently turned to moneylenders, in particular those operating at prominent Zen Buddhist monasteries. These institutions enjoyed much favour from the Shogunate, in decades prior, yet by the 1290s, the Shogunate increasingly pressed on them to loan money. Great sums of money were loaned by these monasteries at extremely generous interest rates.

Although convinced of future success, the Shogunate did markedly strengthen their hold over the island of Shikoku in the 1294-97 interlude. They launched numerous campaigns against piracy, to varying degrees of success, although ironically this only strengthened the Kutsuna clan's own pirate forces, which absorbed survivors from other groups. In 1295, the Houjou created a new institution, the Iyo Tandai (伊予探題), responsible for the defense of the Nankaido region (the island of Shikoku and Kii Province). It was to be both a law enforcement agency as well as one coordinating the defenses of the region, headed by three members of the Houjou clan and three vassals, typically appointed from the locally powerful Utsunomiya, Kawano, and Ogasawara clans.

Despite failing at truly securing the island of Shikoku, they became a force all regional clans and even the Kutsuna pirates needed to respect. Additionally, such a powerful post allowed the Houjou to reward both their own clan and their loyal vassals. The first Iyo Tandai, Houjou Tokikane (北条時兼), was skilled at his relations with local vassals and in coming to some manner of agreeance with the Kutsuna pirates. He ensured the defenses of Shikoku were perhaps the most powerful in all Japan.

Strict trade regulations and the declining economy forced innovation from merchants and shippers. Ship size progressively increased in the last two decades of the 14th century due to the need for a ship to sail further away from the coast and make it to Okinawa in a single trip. Additionally, captured Chinese ships (such as the dozens of ships captured after the Battle of Oze-gawa in 1292) provided new templates and inspiration for ship construction. These larger ships were sturdier and seaworthy, and often paid for by bold investments from the Shogunate, the Imperial Court, or powerful vassal clans and temples.

Their most important contribution was transport. In a mountainous nation like Japan, coastal shipping was always easier than transport by land. The size of these ships enabled them to carry greater volumes of rice, somewhat alleviating the burden of the decreasing cash value of the economy. However, it would be many decades before ships of this size and style became numerous enough to truly revolutionise Japanese commerce.

Foreign trade missions attracted much attention. These trade missions focused primarily on Okinawa, which still traded with the Yuan despite having suffered invasion. Here on this neutral ground, the Shogunate could purchase goods of China and the Kingdom of Japan as well as local goods such as deer skins. The economic impact of this middleman trade would be substantial in decades to come, greatly enriching the local chiefs of those islands and thoroughly integrating it into the Sinosphere.

Direct Japanese trade to Southeast Asia was difficult however--it was usually more profitable to trade in Okinawa or otherwise smuggle goods to China in violation of both Japanese and Yuan law. However, enough contact remained that the Kamakura Shogunate concluded alliances with both Dai Viet and Champa in 1297 [8]. The Houjou clan promised the marriage of a princess of imperial blood to members of both nation's elite and mutual security against the Yuan in exchange for a guaranteed two trade ships each year from each state.

The royal marriages never happened due to extenuating circumstances. By 1297, the political situation was rapidly declining across Japan and Northeast Asia. These events drew away the attention of the Shogunate and Imperial Court. While there was an increase of trade ships from Dai Viet and Champa, the military alliance could never become reality--the expense of rebuilding after the Mongol invasions ensured that the two states took ample advantage of Temur Khan's lack of interest in foreign wars. When war began once more between Yuan and the Kamakura Shogunate, there would be no foreign aid forthcoming.

Escalating tensions

The road to the fourth Mongol invasion of Japan came from the continuing instability in areas north of Japan. In Ezo, battles between the Ezo Shogunate and rebellious Ainu tribes continued without end. The addition of settlers from Kyushu and refugee clans from Mutsu Province only added to the tension. Japanese regularly enroached on Ainu lands, and the government of the Ezo Shogunate divided itself between pro-Japanese and pro-Ainu factions.

The pro-Japanese factions consisted of lords from Mutsu Province who fled Shogunate repression. Most of them were linked to the Miura clan by blood or marriage, and their interests centered around the rights to expand their land as needed and freely trade with the Ainu. The latter was a constant point of contention--the Andou clan held the Ainu trade as their exclusive right and demanded a share of the profits from all merchants they licensed. Worse, the newer clans sometimes demanded Ainu corvee labour, a practice greatly resented. However, their trade was generally more fair than the Andou clan's trade and opened it to competition.

The pro-Ainu faction desired Ainu land rights and free trade with all Japanese clans. Because of the integral role in how the Ainu helped organise the Ezo Shogunate, they were intimately linked with the government. Their defacto leadership lay in an Ainu chiefly family called the Hinomoto clan, for the patriarch of this clan Shishain (best known by his dharma name, Hinomoto Shin'ami 日ノ本真阿弥) had aided Andou Suemura for decades and married his daughter to Andou's son and heir, Suenaga.

Andou Gorou continued to interfere in Ezo affairs--he had sent Nichiji, one of Nichiren's Six Senior Disciples, to the island in 1296, imploring him to convert the natives and end the spread of Ji-shuu in Ezo. Without hesitation, Nichiji traveled the land, preaching to Ainu and Japanese alike, gaining at least some converts, especially those in the north of the island who had not experienced the religious violence promoted by Andou Gorou. Andou Suemura, unwilling to cause tension with the Ainu, permitted Nichiji's actions and in 1297 even permitted him to construct a monastery near Yi'an called Eishou-ji (永勝寺) [10], named for a temple Nichiji established years prior.

Ezo also experienced a continuing influx of Ainu refugees from Karafuto due to Yuan policies. While aid and even settlers from Kyushu helped rebuild the province, during the 1290s it remained an active military district, important for supplying the invasion of Japan. This resulted in increased confiscations of food and still high tribute demands. As in the past, it was not uncommon for entire villages to relocate elsewhere--when they arrived on Ezo in the south, they often clashed with already established tribes, further adding to tensions.

In spring 1297, the Karafuto Ainu chief Waying evacuated his village from Karafuto and made contact with a Japanese trade mission to northeastern Ezo, receiving an audience with Andou Gorou himself. There the Andou clan agreed to aid him. Although Waying had served the Yuan for over 15 years and held the rank of mingghan, he seems to have revolted over the continual confiscation of food and deportation of villagers.

Waying returned to Karafuto and began a rebellion, raising a substantial force of Ainu warriors. They attacked the Mongol forts at Wuliehe and Buluohe, where the Nivkh chiefs and their soldiers revolted and killed Yuan soldiers, settlers. Other Jiliemi chiefs joined them shortly after--the entire island of Karafuto thus erupted into open rebellion against the Yuan and those Jiliemi who remained loyal.

Waying and the Ainu chiefs appealed to Andou Gorou for further aid, and to this Andou eagerly granted it. His long-standing grudge against the Yuan for their actions against his clan came to a head--he agreed to lead the forces in person not as a vassal of the Houjou clan or Shogunate, but befitting his position as hi-no-moto shogun [8]. To achieve the greatest damage, they planned a direct invasion of the Heilong Basin, destroying Yuan forts and confiscating their food stores to inspire rebellion and destroy the logistics for their existing occupations and future invasions.

In 1297, Andou Gorou led a great invasion force of Ainu to the mouth of the Heilong River. Perhaps 8,000 warriors were involved in this campaign, a mixture of peasant soldiers from Mutsu Province and Ainu from Karafuto and even Ezo. They laid waste to a number of forts and agricultural colonies near the mouth of the river, only retreating from an attempted siege of the important city of Nurgan due to the outbreak of disease among the invaders. The local allies they gained, including many former tribesmen who fought alongside Nayan and Qadaan, let them bypass Nurgan's control of the river, although they lost many of their large ships in their portage around Nurgan.

The force proceeded south down the Heilong, destroying and burning around a dozen Yuan forts before reaching a regional center at Deren [9]. Due to treachery from the garrison which included many Ainu, the local forces were forced to flee, letting Andou Gorou sack the city and giving his rebels control over an important post on the Heilong. Without control of Deren, the Yuan position at Nurgan--and by extension all Karafuto--would become unsustainable.

In their campaign, the Ainu demonstrated a great knowledge of the Yuan's economic activities in this region. In addition to destroying farms and looting food, they burned entire storehouses of furs, the center of Liaoyang's economy. Their most notorious actions were against ethnic Jiliemi falconers, who were butchered alongside their birds to deny them to the Yuan court. This was perhaps due to Waying, who was intimately acquainted with such a system. In tribal villages, Waying's raiders destroyed the very basis of what was required to conduct a living--bows and arrows, nets, snares, and traps, destruction that would long be remembered in oral history.

The Yuan mobilised 10,000 soldiers and 100 ships to contain this rebellion. Most of these were ethnic Koreans from Goryeo or Liaoyang along with Jurchens. Half of the warriors as well as the ocean-going fleet would be under the command of Hong Jung-hui (son of Hong Dagu), the remainder would be under the leadership of the elderly Taxiala and his lieutenants Yangwuludai and Tatardai. The response was brutal--Hong Jung-hui destroyed numerous villages on Karafuto, abducting whatever women and children they found for hostages or to give away as wives to native auxiliaries.

The war rapidly expanded from that point. Andou Suemura in Ezo, whose territories frequently traded with Liaoyang's ports, used this as an opportunity to deal with inter-Ainu tensions by expelling all disloyal Karafuto Ainu back to their homeland. Naturally, this spread the rebellion to Ezo, where his Ezo Ainu allies attacked the newcomers with government support.

Andou Suemura also encouraged his Ainu allies to raid Honshu, thus directly dealing with the threat posed by Andou Gorou. Armed with Yuan weapons and armour, the Ezo Ainu enacted a terrible toll on coastal villages whose men were away on the mainland. The Houjou clan under chinjufu-shogun Houjou Munenobu (北条宗宣) sent forces to the region, destroying a large Ainu force who had taken a village called Tsubo in Mutsu to use as a base.

This raid even affected the religious development of Ezo. Concerned about Nichiji's links to the raid on the continent, Suemura searched for a wise Buddhist monk in the Kingdom of Japan, finding with the help of his son a wise monk of the Kumagai clan named Gyoten (行蓮). Sent to Ezo, Gyoten debated Nichiji in Yi'an in what was regarded as a fierce and acrimonious debate.

The results of the debate are unclear--each Buddhist school claims their leader persuaded the crowd. However, Suemura clearly favoured the Ji-shuu school, for he confiscated Eishou-ji (which became--and remained--a Ji-shuu temple from that point) and arrested Nichiji for subversive preaching. In the end, Nichiji was sent to Dadu, where he continued to preach for several years before his final exile to Tibet, where Nichiren Buddhists claim he was executed by monastic authorities due to the persuasiveness of his preaching.

What started as a raid was devolving into a great war. On the mainland, the Ainu and Jiliemi pressured Andou Gorou into returning to Karafuto with their loot. Seeing the large enemy forces coming toward them, they stopped at the captured fort of Xicihuotian on the shore of Lake Kizi, but there a large number of Yuan forces approached. Outnumbered, they attempted a fighting retreat but the majority of their force was destroyed and Andou severely wounded in battle. However, both Waying and Andou managed to escape and reach the sea along with hundreds of warriors. From there, Waying returned to Karafuto and Andou returned to Japan.

Concurrent developments occurred in Japan and China. Several prisoners taken at the Battle of Xicihuotian, notably the aged monk Nanbu Sanenaga (南部実長), were discovered to be operating under the orders of Andou Gorou, a Japanese vassal. Andou's nominal superior, the chinjufu-shogun, Houjou Munenobu, was known to tacitly support raids like this as a means of weakening the foreign invaders. In Japan, Andou complained to the Shogunate of the need to attack Ezo given their role in sending warriors to destroy villages allied to him.

Despite the mutual need for both Shogunate and Yuan to confront their economic issues, the option was clear to both parties--war was necessary. In 1297, armies and fleets were assembled and both nations prepared for what was to be called the Banpou Invasion, the fourth invasion of Japan.

---
Author's notes

The events in Japanese society TTL are somewhat based on what happened OTL, but greatly amplified because of the Mongol invasions. Emperor Go-Daigo did not conduct the dramatic reforms of the Kenmu Restoration in a vacuum, as to a degree they had been ongoing processes due to the court exploiting its remaining powers (which were still considerable in the Kamakura era) and the decay of the Houjou clan. Taxation of guilds and temples was controlled by powerful courtiers--as it would take their permission to divert it to the Shogunate, the power of these courtiers and thus the court as a whole (although not necessarily the Emperor!) increases.

The section on Ezo/Hokkaido and Ainu affairs is mostly OTL (besides Nanbu Sanenaga's participation, although it's plausible since he did die in 1297). The Andou clan was very possibly involved in a great raid on the Amur Delta in 1297, alongside the Ainu chief Waying. Xicihuotian was a location near Lake Kizi on the Chinese-Russian where the decisive battle took place. Not much is recorded other than the Mongols won, so I have kept the results the same.

I am not sure where I derived the name "Eishou-ji" from (I think I just took two kanji commonly used in the names of Buddhist temples), but I discovered by chance that Nichiji actually founded a temple by that name. Since I found it more likely that people like the Ainu (or in the case of A Horn of Bronze, alt-American Indians) would be drawn toward Pure Land Buddhism (especially one steeped in folk ritual like Ji-shuu), I developed the story of Nichiji (reputed to have traveled to Hokkaido, Karafuto, and Manchuria) debating Gyoten (a Ji-shuu monk active in places like Dewa Province OTL).

Next entry will focus on the initial battles of the Banpou Invasion, the fourth Mongol Invasion of Japan. But it might take me a while to write because of my schedule. Right now it's a collection of various notes and ideas that I have. As always, thank you for reading.

[1] - An actual OTL law, issued in 1239 forbidding land stewards (jitou) to appoint monks or moneylenders as their deputies (jitodai). This was due to land stewards falling into debt and signing away their rights.
[2] - Artistic license--the Kamakura-era Andou clan's crest is unknown, what I am describing is the crest used by their descendents in the Sengoku era
[3] - Funahara Saburou, TTL a Japanese commander back in Chapter 4, was indeed the son of Nanbu Sanenaga, an important early follower of Nichiren Buddhism
[4] - Nagasaki Morimune is better known by his Buddhist name Nagasaki Enki (長崎円喜). It seems possible Houjou Sadatoki disliked him, as although he was clearly an adult by the early 1290s, only after Sadatoki's retirement did he begin gaining important offices (and eventually IOTL become one of the most important political figures of 1310s-1330s Japan).
[5] - By the 10th century, native coin minting had ceased in Japan, since the local coins were of increasingly poor quality and using Chinese coins or bartering using rice more reliable. Eventually Chinese coins came to suffice alongside daimyo-issued coins (the latter common by the 15th century). The situation remained because the Shogunate used periods of inflation and deflation as a defacto form of taxation and didn't feel the need to intervene in the economy in such a manner
[6] - In this era, a retired emperor usually held far more power than the reigning emperor, particularly as the reigning emperor TTL Go-Nijou was very young at this point. As a side note, while Go-Uda's son Go-Daigo gets most of the credit for increasing imperial power in this manner, it did indeed begin under Go-Uda so represents a trend of the era which I believe the scenario ITTL would have accelerated
[7] - The inflation of the masu was OTL, but it was a much slower and gradually process that culminated with the increasing adoption of Kyoto's masu by the Sengoku period and eventually the Tokugawa Shogunate standardising it nationally. Had the Kamakura government needed to increase taxes, they likely could have done this. The "ren" in ren-masu comes from an alternate reading of "鎌" (used as an abbreviation for Kamakura).
[8] - A similar event occurred OTL--the Ainu leader Waying led a force of Ainu and Nivkh with the backing of the Andou clan. The Andou clan leader in this incident is unknown, but it was directly related to the internal conflict in their lands provoked by Ainu migrations and Andou Gorou's religious intolerance
[9] - Deren (cannot find the hanzi) was located near the modern village of Sofiisk, Primorsky Krai. I have borrowed the name from a later Ming/Qing era settlement, but I'd assume the area was used for trade by Chinese states in older times as well due to its strategic location
[10] - Yes, that's meant to be the same monastery that occasionally gets mentioned in my other TL A Horn of Bronze.

Last edited:
Too many factions, Yuan invasion just destabilized Japan instead of destroying it.

I'm on the side of Kingdom of japan here but if they are being plagued by such revolts and unable to suppress them without Mongol support they are in for a rude awakening.

Chapter 11-The Sacred Land Burns
-XI-
"The Sacred Land Burns"

Kamakura, Sagami Province, 1297​

"As is apparent from this situation, my lord, the invader has once again resumed his war on our land," Kudou Tokimitsu said. The dutiful chief minister looked up at Houjou Sadatoki, awaiting a response.

"'Resumed?' Hmph, they've always been warring with our land, they and those detestable rebels," Sadatoki scoffed. "No matter, I foresee their certain doom this time. We know their tactics and strategies and are fooled no longer."

"What orders should I send to Kyoto?" Kudou asked.

"Destroy the enemy as needed. They number as locusts, and fight much the same," Sadatoki said, smiling at his wit. "The only thing our warriors need fear is those scheming bastards in the court interfering with their income."

"Perhaps the Rokuhara Tandai can deal with that?"

"They will receive all the credit of our victory, and with that fame, not even the Emperor can protect Saionji Sanekane and those who would follow him."

"I have but one concern, what of Lord Takeda?" Kudou said, suddenly rather worried. "He has won many victories over the invader and we will be forced to reward him and his clan. I have heard many complaints from my fellow vassals [1] regarding his desires for land and threat to our power."

"Oh, you think the so-called 'Tiger of Aki' is that dangerous? It matters not. His brilliance will win us the battle, but it will be his aides--my clan and my own vassals--who gain the glory. If he gets too out of hand, he will die like all the others."

"As it will be done, my lord," Kudou said.

"Good. Soon we will be past this entire affair with the invader and the rebels. Our warriors are marching to certain victory."

---
Itsukushima, Aki Province, 1298​

Liu Huai looked around the shrine, noticing to his disdain the sparse ornamentation. For all the grandeur of the shrine's exterior and the great gate floating on the sea, there was little beside simple statues and woodworking in the building. After spending hours and hours ensuring his men were the first to enter the shrine, to see nothing valuable inside made him angrier and angrier.

"Land of gold! Nonsense!" he shouted, tearing a lantern from the altar in front of him and smashing it against a wall.

"My lord, the shrine is as the survivors of Wang On's failed raid reported. There is nothing valuable here," a messenger said. "Our soldiers will handle the remainder, please return to lord Gao's camp."

"Nonsense! There must be!" Liu jabbed his finger toward a priest cowering in the corner. "All know Japan is a land of gold, and these priests have hidden this shrine's wealth!"

The messenger said nothing, quietly slinking away. Liu wanted to throttle the man for his lazy attitude, but something about the priest bothered him. He stormed over to the man, grasping his throat as he pinned him against the wall.

"Where is it? Where did you hide the gold, you Japanese bastard!"

"Please stop," the priest muttered in Chinese. "Stop." Liu grit his teeth, slamming the man against the wall before throwing him to the floor and repeatedly kicking him in the skull. After a few kicks, Liu picked him back up by the nape of his bloodied robes, noting to his annoyance the man was dead.

"Tch, find me another priest!" Liu shouted at his soldiers. The Japanese guard their gold well. It was just as his father told him--the Japanese were a crafty, devious people by nature. Just as they were experts at ambushes, they were experts at keeping their treasure hidden. Liu knew he'd need more force to handle this problem.

His soldiers brought a local man before him, his clothes tattered and skin dirty from hiding somewhere nearby. His baldness suggested he was a Buddhist monk from a nearby monastery, perhaps a pious enough man to frequent this shrine.

"He looks suspicious. Perhaps he knows where the gold is?" the soldier said.

"Tell me! Where is it?" Liu demanded, grabbing his neck as he had the priest. The man said nothing, gasping for air in defiance of Liu's request. I'm getting nowhere with these bastards!

Out of impatience, Liu dragged the man toward a lit lantern, grabbing the lantern from its mounting and pressing it against his head. The man shrieked in pain, but started grimly chuckling.

"You will never find what you're looking for. You'll only find pain." Suddenly he kicked Liu's leg, dislodging himself from Liu's grasp and slashing at Liu's arm with a knife.

"Dammit!" Liu shouted in sudden shock and irritation. Thinking fast, he pitched the lantern right at his head, knocking the man to the floor--and catching his robes on fire. The fire quickly spread and black smoke filled the air. Now it was Liu's turn to laugh, for the gods were sending him a sign.

"We won't find the gold," Liu announced to his soldiers over the growing noise of roaring flames. "Not until everything is ashes. Burn it all down, and smoke those rats from their holes! Then we shall all be rich!"

---
Itsukushima, June 2, 1298​

Just what the hell have we done? Mouri Tokichika thought to himself as he gazed upon the most horrifying sight. The sun is rising in the middle of the night and consuming Itsukushima itself. Smoke rose from countless points on the island in the most grim fire Tokichika ever witnessed. Winds blew the smoke toward them, smelling faintly of trees, yet also death itself.

"What a horrible sight." his nephew Oe no Mototaka muttered. "I wonder if Chikatada is still alive?"

"We can only expect the worst when mortals bring their conflicts to the realm of the gods. My brother played a role in defiling a sacred space, so it is only natural he suffers heaven's vengeance." Tokichika spoke grimly, cursing that he even had to say words like that. The flickering flames illuminated the fear in Mototaka's eye.

"I fear we are cursed for eternity for joining the invader," Mototaka said. "Look what he has done to this sacred island!"

"I-it couldn't be helped," Tokichika said. "It still can't be. The invader would have destroyed this place either way, and the only difference is we would mercifully have been spared the painful sight." It is clear we are in the dying days of the Dharma.

"Is there anything we can even do now?" Mototaka said. "This entire world is falling apart! It feels like no matter which side we fight for, nothing would improve."

"Only the words of Shakyamuni Buddha lead us there," Tokichika said. "My father studied them earnestly, and now I am convinced we should do the same." If the gods even permit our reincarnation in a place outside of hell.

An older Mongol officer came by, taking in the sight for himself for a few moments before moving on. Something about it bothered Tokichika.

"Why do you not find such a sight striking?" he asked.

"Because I've seen it a thousand times before in the former nation of Song, in Goryeo, and in Japan, and I will see it a thousand times more before I die. Nothing lasts long in this world, not when the ambitions of our leaders stand as high as the gods themselves."

The Mongol officer moved on, leaving Tokichika shaken. As high as the gods themselves indeed. Truly we are nothing but pawns in some grand cosmic struggle.

---
Kitsuki, Izumo Province, July 21, 1298​

Prince Khayishan stepped off the boat, getting his bearing on the solid ground for the first time in what felt like an eternity. In the distance he saw a great staircase leading to a singular building in a complex surrounded by walls and an odd, elegantly curved gate. That must be that great shrine captured several years ago.

"Welcome to the Kingdom of Japan, Lord Khayishan," a warrior before him spoke. Amazingly, he did not bow but maintained a confident poise.

"Why do you not kneel before Lord Khayishan!?" a lieutenant, the Chagatai exile prince Tore, gasped. "He is the grandson of the Son of Heaven, the great Yuzong, nephew of our current ruler! [2]"

"Patience, Tore," Khayishan said. "His people have yet to fully learn the ways of civilisation, far as they have come."

"You must be wary then, Lord Khayishan," his strategist Bayan of the Merkit said.

Another ethnic Mongol, a fat and elderly man wearing the robes of a bureaucrat, started laughing.

"He's young and just got named to his post! They call it a 'shugo' in their language, he got it after the last one got himself killed in the mountains. Isn't that right, Shouni?"

The haggard one-armed man beside him nodded.

"And you must be the Chancellor of this province, Lord Cheligh-Temur," Khayishan noted. "I must thank your delegation for coming here, but we have much work on our hands. "First, where is the keshig? I was told there are many here."

Just as he spoke, ten men on horseback wearing armour approached. Their disciplined method of riding and perfect poise told Khayishan exactly who they were. Khayishan gestured to their leader, who immediately dismounted his horse and bowed, removing his helmet. Khayishan noticed with fascination how the man's hair shone as gold, pierced only by his blue eyes.

"Aleksandr Zakharievich of the Ever-Faithful Russian Life Guard at your service, my prince," the warrior spoke [3]. "Lord Khor-Toda is away at the moment, off defending our lands from further incursions."

"Perfect. The princes of the Rus' are fulfilling their duty as subjects of the Great Khan and are dispatching your men 1,000 more warriors."

"One thousand Christian soldiers of the Rus' will do much for the salvation of this heathen land," Aleksandr said. "I will use them to the fullest."

"God grants this host strength indeed," an older prince said, his Turkic accent evident. Emerging from a ship flanked by a priest and a warrior, Khayishan noticed his half-uncle Korguz, a glint from the cross he wore around his neck catching his eye. Even in the middle of the day, Korguz carried a fancily painted cup no doubt filled with wine [4].

"Drinking already, uncle?" Khayishan asked. "In this country we never know how far the enemy is."

"Not far enough to avoid the Lord striking him down. The enemy has already been delivered into our hands," Korguz boasted. "Now where do we travel first?"

"Have the other ships landed, Chancellor?" Khaiyishan asked. "We must set out immediately for the city they call their capital."

"It would be prudent to wait," Nanghiyadai said. "The enemy knows we are here, but does not know our numbers. Should all our forces take separate paths as we converge on the capital, we will confound him and grind down his own warriors. There is no need for a decisive battle with all of our men."

"If we take separate paths, the enemy can destroy us separately, much as we have done to them," Bayan said. "Strength in numbers wins battles."

Khayishan pondered his strategist's words. Bayan is not wrong, yet our ancestors often split their forces to threaten the enemy from many directions. Even in this mountainous land, we might still converge our men for a decisive battle.

"Lord Yighmish," Khayishan said to a well-dressed man walking off the ship, "How far apart has the fleet been divided?"

"I followed the advice of Lord Cheligh-Temur and his aide Lord Miura Yorimori and ordered the ships to proceed to the frontline provinces. We have 20,000 men and 300 ships in the provinces of Izumo, Houki, Iwami, and Suou. Additionally, our subjects in Goryeo have taken their 20,000 men and 300 ships to reinforce our men in Iyo Province. The latter will not land for at least a week."

Nanghiyadai nodded with approval.

"All has gone well so far. Scattered as we might be, the enemy cannot possibly defend all these locations at once. He will be psychologically weary and make foolish decisions."

"And in that moment, victory is ours," Khayishan added with a grin. He drew his sword and raised it to the sun. "Come, let us restore peace to the world by destroying those who go against the Son of Heaven!"

As a servant led a horse from the ship to Khayishan, excitement filled his veins. With so many brilliant men behind me, I will conquer Japan. When I gain that victory, I alone will decide who the next Son of Heaven is.

---​

Peace between the Mongols and Shogunate after the Shou'ou Invasion lasted not even four years. Border skirmishes between the Kingdom of Japan and Shogunate, the perpetual refusal to recognise the other side, and above all Andou Gorou's raid on the Amur ensured the return of warfare. In 1297, the Mongols embarked on their fourth invasion, known in Japan as the Banpou Invasion for the era it began in, yet not the era it finished--by the end of this conflict, Japan would change forever.

Temur Khan and his generals intended their fourth invasion of Japan as a final conquest of the Shogunate. A vast amount of resources were mustered in China and Goryeo, including 1,500 warships and 100,000 warriors (1/5 of which were Goryeo, in addition to ethnic Koreans in directly ruled prefectures) who were to join around 30,000 warriors and 300 warships already present in the Kingdom of Japan.

It was the single largest campaign undertaken by the Mongols since the final victory over Southern Song, and indeed the Yuan dynasty would never assemble a force this large again until their very final days. Dynastic history states that Temur wished to lead the force himself before his ministers dissuaded him--instead, he appointed the veteran general Nanghiyadai to the post, ordering him to share command with his nephew Khayishan and Burilgitei's Mongols already in Japan.

Because of the unique diplomatic situation following the decline in Kaidu's influence over the Chaghatai Khanate, Temur was able to gain warriors from every corner of the Mongol Empire. The Ilkhanate and Golden Horde each sent 1,000 warriors (including many Russians, Alans, and Persians), while in 1298, Duwa sent 100 Turkic horse archers in exchange for a large sum of silver and Temur's pledge to aid his impending invasion of the Delhi Sultanate.

The Kingdom of Japan welcomed the opportunity to continue the invasion, for it distracted from internal issues. Shouni Kagesuke appointed his foremost ally Mouri Tokichika as commander over the Kingdom of Japan's forces, despite the Mongols favouring Miura Yorimori. However, overall command fell to Burilgitei who still held the post of Marshal of Zhengdong. As before, the fleet was to be commanded by Hong Jung-gyeon, while Andou Suemura was to lead ethnic Japanese and Ainu from Ezo alongside warriors and ships from Liaoyang under the command of Hong Jung-hui.

The greatest challenge faced by the Mongols was the short notice on which this invasion was ordered. Although a large navy existed, it was in varying states of disrepair due to Temur Khan's attempts to reduce government spending. A large number of soldiers needed to be raised, equipped, and transported to Japan. This delayed the bulk of the invasion until welll into 1298, although the Mongols could still call on the 30,000-strong forces stationed in Zhengdong.

The initial invasion started in August 1297 as 20,000 warriors from the Kingdom of Japan crossed the Nishiki River in three places, which had defacto served as the border since 1294. Another 5,000 under Miura Yorimori's relative Yoshimura (三浦頼村) advanced south from Izumo Province and 5,000 by sea under Hong Jung-gyeon as a feint operation, while Andou Suemura and 5,000 Ainu and Japanese attacked the coast of Mutsu, preparing it for the advance of Liaoyang forces.

This last segment of Suou Province under Shogunate rule, Kuga District (玖珂郡), was garrisoned with five different castles and 10,000 warriors under Houjou Masanaga (北条政長), military governor of Suou assigned to the Iyo Tandai under whose aegis these improvements had been built. Houjou chose to make his stand on the Nishiki River itself, his back to the main local fortification.

Burilgitei attacked the fortifications with 10,000 men, damaging them as he conducted a feigned retreat. Houjou did not take this bait, remaining in place, but soon panic arose in Shogunate ranks as rumours spread of Mongols attacking from other directions, laying siege to dozens of castles. In that moment, Burilgitei attacked once more and thoroughly routed the Japanese.

Survivors from Houjou's force linked with a reinforcement army from the Shogunate that numbered around 30,000 men (combined 35,000).The famed Takeda Tokitsuna, the "Tiger of Aki", commanded this unit alongside Houjou Morifusa (北条盛房), deputy commander of the Rokuhara Tandai. As word of this force arrived, the Japanese warriors defending the castles between the Nishiki and Oze Rivers gained new resolve. Castles fell only through costly assaults that consumed much in the way of bombs and Mongol lives, while Takeda's forces repeatedly raided Mongol lines.

Additionally, the Mongols faced the additional challenge of the Iyo Tandai, Houjou Tokikane, who commanded a strong network of castles and ships on Shikoku. In early 1298, Houjou even managed to make common cause with the pirates of the Kutsuna clan, who lent their ships and men to attack Mongol lines. This forced Burilgitei to divide his forces and prepare an invasion of Shikoku. His subordinate Hong Jung-gyeon was to take 12,000 warriors and 150 ships cripple the Iyo Tandai.

The invasion immediately encountered issues due to the unpredictable weather and fierce currents of the island-strewn Inland Sea. A storm struck, and 50 ships along with 4,000 men were lost due to their deep draughts striking unseen rocks. Nevertheless, this worked to Hong's initial advantage, for Shogunate coastal defenders let their guard down at the sight of tattered Mongol ships. Hiding warriors in damaged ships, he managed to seize many islands in the Inland Sea, destroy pirate bases, and even gain a beachhead through a rapid assault that seized Saginomori Castle (鷺ノ森城).

Alongside Hong's invasion came a major victory over the pirates. Faced with a Kutsuna clan attack on their supply lines, Sashi Kisou (佐志競), an ex-Matsuura clan pirate lord who sided with the Kingdom of Japan, took 5,000 men and 60 ships in pursuit [5]. He discovered their base and scoured the island of its residents, carrying them off as slaves. Subsequently, Hong engaged the Kutsuna in March 1298 and captured over 30 ships, killing hundreds of pirates and striking a major blow to the Shogunate's pirate allies.

Burilgitei was by no means idle during the winter. In addition to sieges, his forces ravaged the interior of Suoh and Aki, attacking impediments to their supply lines such as castles or hostile peasants. His forces enacted a great terror, destroying dozens of villages and deporting their residents away from the frontlines to Nagato Province. Takeda Tokitsuna's lieutenants struck back and fought in countless battles. These men, such as Komai Nobumura (駒井信村), Houjou Munenaga (北条宗長), Nawa Yukitaka (名和行高) Ouchi Hiroie (大内弘家), Kikkawa Tsunetaka (吉川経高), and Nagai Sadashige (長井貞重), garnered a legendary reputation in war chronicles as the Twenty-Four Generals of Takeda Tokitsuna.

Among the greatest of these encounters was fought in the mountains at Misaka Pass (三坂峠) on the border of Izumo and Aki [6]. Burilgitei's feint from the north, under Miura Yoshimura, met an equivalent force of 5,000 men under Takeda's uncle Wakasa Nobutsuna (若狭信綱) and Nawa Yukitaka (名和行高). With their powder and bows soaked from wet snow that at the same time impeding their movement, the force of motivated infantry drove them off. Miura's force found their retreat path blocked by disgruntled peasants, permitting Komai's army to catch up to them. Few survived due to wrathful peasants and Komai's soldiers--it is said a critically wounded Miura Yoshimura escaped, but subsequently froze to death during the night.

Yet the powerful defense of the Suou-Aki borderlands eventually came to an end. The Iyo Tandai suffered numerous defeats from Hong Jung-gyeon's army, and the castles of Kuga District fell one by one as the Mongols stormed them or the defenders chose suicide over starvation. Befitting his role as Suou's military governor, on May 8, Houjou Tokinaka stayed behind and led around 6,000 men--the majority motivated peasants--in a dramatic last stand in the ruins of Kurakakeyama Castle (鞍掛山城). Houjou's untrained forces could do nothing against the Mongol attacks. Kikuchi Takamori, who had studied gunnery tactics under Li Ting, shot Ouchi dead with his handcannon and his forces were enveloped and slaughtered to a man.

On May 19, Burilgitei's warriors crossed the Oze River, location of the greatest Mongol defeat in the prior invasion. Burilgitei sent half his warriors by land and half by sea, with many of his generals eager to avenge their prior defeat. Although he faced great resistance from Takeda's forces, he secured a bridgehead across the river due to Takeda's sudden order to retreat as part of his strategy of defense-in-depth.

Takeda's retreat was forbidden by Houjou Morifusa (北条盛房), now junior leader of the Rokuhara Tandai, who demanded the Kingdom of Japan's force be destroyed immediately before their main army arrived. Additionally, the Oze River was the last line of defense before the Mongols could plunder the shrines of the sacred island of Itsukushima. Takeda refused for the sake of his warriors and sought shelter in a monastery from Sadatoki's demand to arrest him, taking the Buddhist name Kounin (光潤).

As a result, Houjou led the attack himself on May 26. Predictably, the attack met disaster. The fortifications of the Oze were now thoroughly in Mongol hands, and the Shogunate forces advanced under a hail of arrows. Houjou himself perished in the fighting, allegedly assassinated by his kinsman Houjou Munenaga as vengeance for his treatment of Takeda. Even though Munenaga rallied the Shogunate's soldiers in an organised retreat, thousands lay dead on the battlefield.

Itsukushima, the target of Mongol attacks since Wang On's raid back in 1282, now lay open to Mongol forces. Burilgitei believed the Japanese would not fight on the island out of fear of spiritual pollution, so sent a token force consisting entirely of Japanese turncoats under Mouri Tokichika's younger brother Mouri Chikatada (毛利親忠) to occupy the island. His entire army thus advanced along the coast, with raiding parties searching the interior for remnant Shogunate forces and destroying their supplies when possibke.

Burilgitei laid siege to Sakurao Castle (桜尾城), a major fortification in Aki Province and one of the foremost bases of the Takeda clan. Upon hearing this, the senior Rokuhara Tandai leader Houjou Hisatoki (北条久時), permitted Takeda Tokitsuna to leave the monastery, where he acquired a sizable force of warrior monks to reinforce the Shogunate army. Sakurao Castle would hold a determined defense as the Shogunate's forces reassembled.

Takeda landed men on Itsukushima and began building a fortification. Mouri hesitated in attacking, gaining time for Takeda to place his warriors in perfect ambush around Mouri's force. At that point, Takeda and allied Shinto priests rallied his warriors, proclaiming the Mongols spilled blood on sacred ground and they must drive them away the island might be purified. According to legend, the first Shogunate warrior to die willingly threw himself in front of the enemy so that others might not pollute the island. After his death, Takeda's forces charged and ensured Mouri Chikatada alongside the entirety of his detatchment perished [7].

Itsukushima now became a base for the Shogunate's force, threatening Mongol supply lines including those ships aiding the invasion of Shikoku. A sizable base was quickly constructed within the span of a few weeks through corvee labour. Hong Jung-gyeon was forced to retreat after a series of defeats to Iyo Tandai commander Houjou Tokikane and his able lieutenant Kawano Michitada, pushed back to a precarious strip of coastline near his main base.

Burilgitei correctly guessed the enemy sought to defeat his forces in detail, so countered with a fullscale invasion of Itsukushima. His own lieutenant, Gao Xing, was selected for the invasion with 10,000 soldiers due to Burilgitei's worry of Japanese unreliability. His attack on the island on June 2, 1298 began the Sack of Itsukushima, among the most notorious acts committed by the Mongols during their invasions of Japan.

Both Japanese and Chinese sources agree that Burilgitei sought only a peaceful occupation as he had done at the Izumo Grand Shrine, but Gao Xing held less control of his warriors. The incident appears to have been started by one of Gao's mingghan commanders named Liu Huai. The youngest son of Liu Fuheng, the general wounded in the 1274 Bun'ei Invasion and killed in 1283 at the Battle of Minega Castle by Shouni Kagesuke, Liu Huai held a great disdain for the Japanese and had already gained a reputation for his cruelty and bloodshed. Liu murdered a priest who protested his actions, which soon escalated into pillaging which Gao refused to restrain [8].

Day and night, Gao's warriors pillaged the great shrine of Itsukushima, leveling its great floating torii for firewood and slaughtering its priests. The Mongols moved on to the nearby temple of Daigan-ji dedicated to the god Benzaiten, committing similar atrocities. Daishou-in, among the most sacred temples of Shingon Buddhism built by its founder, the famed 9th century monk Kuukai (空海), was completely leveled and its gold finery carried off. Even the reaches of Mount Misen with its smaller shrines and temples fell victim to Mongol invasion as they plundered their wealth and even extinguished a 500-year old eternal flame lit by Kukai himself.

The orgy of violence permitted the Shogunate's warriors to set countless traps for the invader. Many of these were simple snares or other non-lethal traps intended to cause crippling injuries, slow the enemy down, and spread fear. Additionally, the Shogunate frequently attacked enemy camps and launched suicidal raids on the Mongol ships, burning them in the harbour. During one of these raids, Liu Huai was killed in his sleep by Takeda Nagakane (武田長兼), a Takeda samurai who slew over a dozen Mongols before he himself was cut down.

Japanese chronicles claim the burning fires from Itsukushima brought great nightmares and sleeplessness to the soldiers of the Kingdom of Japan as they stood besieging Sakurao Castle. It is certain that morale plummeted as rumours of the orgy of violence reached them. Regardless, their forces now lay divided and here is where Takeda struck. A few volunteers conducted a rapid retreat to his makeshift fortress as the rest slipped away under cover of dark. The Mongol force, convinced a greater number of Shogunate defenders lay within, remained besieging this fort as Takeda rounded Itsukushima and landed his warriors behind Mongol lines.

Tipped off by his scouts, Burilgitei knew he was trapped. He hastily ordered his warriors to return, but it was too late. The rapid advance of Takeda's army from the south and the attrition in his supply lines forced a retreat. Outnumbered nearly 2-1, Burilgitei chose to keep his distance and soften the enemy with his horse archers and gunnery troops for a grand cavalry charge. This strategy worked thanks to disciplined Mongol cavalry, but at great cost. Many of the Kingdom of Japan's infantry lost their will to fight and surrendered or fled into the mountains, and Burilgitei lost nearly half his forces as he retreated to the mouth of the Oze River.

Not wishing to give up his gains, Burilgitei left the Kingdom of Japan's forces behind at the Oze River and sailed with the remainder to Itsukushima. He fought an inconclusive naval battle against Shogunate ships, with the winds allowing him to easily escape as he landed on the island and occupied their former bases for himself. It is said in this occupation, the Mongols hunted and killed every single sacred deer present as they established new logistical chains.

The Battle of Itsukushima-Sakurao and the setback on Shikoku would matter little in the long run, for they were but preludes to the great invasion. In late July, the main Yuan and Goryeo fleets arrived one after the other, bringing nearly 100,000 warriors who took up positions in Iwami, Izumo, and Houki Provinces, prepared to complete the conquest of Japan. Hundreds of ships reinforced the fleet in the Inland Sea as the Mongols readied themselves to finish the conquest of Japan once and for all.

---
Author's notes​

This covers the initial battles of the Banpou Invasion, the fourth Mongol Invasion of Japan. There's obviously a lot to come, which I'll divide into numerous entries to follow. My next entry will deal with the fringes of Japan such as Ezo and the Ryukyus.

The Twenty-Four Generals of Takeda Shingen were famous OTL--I decided to attribute a similarly-named group (IIRC it's an allusion to Buddhism) to his ancestor Tokitsuna. Odds are very good that a famed chronicle like the Taiheiki would cover all the figures on both sides of the conflict.

This entry took so long because of the volume of research I did, getting sidetracked with future entries, and having writers' block with the intro/dialogue segments. The other reason is that I didn't have a computer to type this on during the last week of May. Hopefully there won't be too many more delays and I can finish this portion of the TL as I've planned. Thank you for being patient and thank you as always for reading.

[1] - Kudou is an OTL figure who held the title of naikanrei (内管領), the commander of the miuchibito and thus effectively the Houjou clan's majordomo. Taira Yoritsuna likewise held this post before his assassination.
[2] - Zhenjin, Kublai Khan's favourite son, was posthumously elevated to emperor by his own son Temur Khan, a common practice in imperial China
[3] - This was an actual unit of the kheshig that served in Yuan China, consisting primarily of Russians from the Golden Horde, closely associated with ethnic Alan/Asud units. The commander is an historic figure, the son of a man best known as Murza Chet, ancestor of Tsar Boris Godunov and his family. According to legend he was a Tatar convert to Christianity, although in truth he seems to have been a pious Galician boyar of Hungarian descent who founded Ipatiev Monastery in Kostroma. The Tatar legend gives me just a little ground to claim he served in an ethnic Russian unit and add him to this story
[4] - Korguz (闊里吉思) was indeed a Christian (although perhaps not the most pious given the circumstance of his death), and even his name is likely an adaption of the Syriac name Giwargis (George), from whence you'll encounter references to "King George of the Ongud" in English.
[5] - His name is fictional, but this is the grandson of Sashi Hisashi, a prominent samurai and sometimes pirate killed in the 1274 Mongol Invasion alongside his sons. He is known IOTL only by his childhood name Kumatamaru 熊太丸, but as an adult he would've had a single kanji name as was common among the Matsuura clan and their numerous branch families.
[6] - Today this pass is crossed by the Hamada Expressway and marks the border between Shimane and Hiroshima Prefectures and by the Sengoku period the region was heavily fortified (although the OTL Kikkawa Tsunetaka was the first to build fortifications there)
[7] - Such an incident happened OTL after a future generation of Takeda and Mouri clashed on Itsukushima
[8] - Liu Fuheng had several sons, but little is known about them besides that one of them, Liu Yuan (劉淵), eventually inherited some of his father's positions. Liu Huai was Liu Yuan's younger brother according to the History of Yuan, and I've taken some liberties with his otherwise unknown personality and achievements

Last edited:
So another invasion to end all invasions. Something tells me this adventure would go horribly wrong for the Mongols but still Kingdom of japan might just hang on to the north.

So another invasion to end all invasions. Something tells me this adventure would go horribly wrong for the Mongols but still Kingdom of japan might just hang on to the north.
It ran into difficulties at first since the stationed forces combined with the Kingdom of Japan's forces are not the best, plus the many fortifications combined with Takeda's brilliance made it a tough nut, but now that the main armies have arrived (and with events on Ezo), things will be different.
Will Fate of Delhi Sultanate different in this timeline?
I've considered it. I'm still not 100% sure what to do with that region (Alauddin Khalji was one hell of a tyrant, and it isn't surprising how fast his dynasty collapsed after his death), but as for the Chagatai, I've already written the fate of Kaidu and what Duwa does in the aftermath.

With Duwa defeating Sultanate and conquering north india allow unique possibility of Buddhist revival particularly with his good relationship with Tibet.
Well Buddhism already declined in North India many hundred years prior. If anything I see faster islamisation of Chagtais if they capture Delhi Sultanate. This however would be preceded by brief resurgence like Nestorianism in Persia.

Last edited:
"All your horse are belong to us" - Takeda Tokitsuna

Imagine if the Takeda do drive out the Mongols and seize their entire herd, they could potentially become even more frightening horse lords than they were in OTL, and possibly challenge the Shogunate.

With Duwa defeating Sultanate and conquering north india allow unique possibility of Buddhist revival particularly with his good relationship with Tibet.
Tibet is still Yuan governed, and even with a Yuan-Chagatai detente, Tibet is unlikely to give much aid to Duwa outside of individual monks. As for a Buddhist revival, it's a distinct possibility but a very far off one. It just feels like way too tempting of an option on a scale a little above attributing great deeds to ancestors of famous OTL figures.
Well Buddhism already declined in North India many hundred years prior. If anything I see faster islamisation of Chagtais if they capture Delhi Sultanate. This however would be preceded by brief resurgence like Nestorianism in Persia.
True, but on the other hand, the Islamic presence in India was IIRC largely camps of Turkic warriors and Arabo-Persian merchants, both of which have significant local competition.
"All your horse are belong to us" - Takeda Tokitsuna

Imagine if the Takeda do drive out the Mongols and seize their entire herd, they could potentially become even more frightening horse lords than they were in OTL, and possibly challenge the Shogunate.
Now this Takeda is just an ancestor of that Takeda, and one more tied to Aki Province than Kai (IIRC Kai's shugo in this era is also a Takeda but is a brother of Tokitsuna) but I'd be lying if I didn't say I had ideas how that famous sort of cavalry tactic might fit in. Especially when sturdier Mongol horses would actually make it work as the legend has it.
Watched with great interest.
Thank you!

True, but on the other hand, the Islamic presence in India was IIRC largely camps of Turkic warriors and Arabo-Persian merchants, both of which have significant local competition.
Well, not even a miniscule chance for Buddhism. But keep in mind in the case of Delhi Sultanate defeat you’ll have most of muslim Turkic army incorporated by mongols as anywhere else. This will only speed up the process of Islamisation of the khanate.

You can also have the Mongol conspiracy of 1310 against Alauddin succeed and have a friendly or subservient ruler in Delhi throne.

I love all the obscure historical details (not to mention creative writing!) that's gone into this so far. It always feels somehow "wrong" whenever I see the words "Kingdom of Japan" since the idea that they have a Tenno is such an integral part of their national polity, but that just underscores the utter disaster being visited upon the Land of the Rising Sun ITTL.

Eager to see how the rest of the Banpo Invasion shapes up. Some maps of TTL's Japan would be cool too.

Well, not even a miniscule chance for Buddhism. But keep in mind in the case of Delhi Sultanate defeat you’ll have most of muslim Turkic army incorporated by mongols as anywhere else. This will only speed up the process of Islamisation of the khanate.
Something I'll keep in mind. Although a part of me wants to go for a different option given how all but the Yuan of the post-Mongol states ended up being Muslim (even if for good reasons, yes). But it's only been partially written.
I love all the obscure historical details (not to mention creative writing!) that's gone into this so far. It always feels somehow "wrong" whenever I see the words "Kingdom of Japan" since the idea that they have a Tenno is such an integral part of their national polity, but that just underscores the utter disaster being visited upon the Land of the Rising Sun ITTL.
To be fair, the King of Japan is still permitted to be a religious figure of worship, he (and his followers) just can't use the title Tenno (for the Great Khan and Emperor of Yuan is the only Son of Heaven) and is officially considered subservient to the Mongol ruler. The Mongols are very cautious about the worship of past emperors under that title which has led to Shinto being disfavoured in terms of legal decisions. It's a lot nicer fate than the usual presumption that the Mongols would utterly destroy the imperial dynasty of Japan.

And yes, there's definitely a lot of obscure historical details regarding this era. I think I covered or at least alluded to most of the noteworthy figures of the late Kamakura era and some of the noteworthy Yuan generals of this era, but there's not much known about the former. Most of the biographical notes are "father/grandfather of such-and-such from the Taiheiki", since outside of the imperial court and the Houjou clan, there's not a lot of sources on the provincial warriors or even the Houjou's direct vassals.
Eager to see how the rest of the Banpo Invasion shapes up. Some maps of TTL's Japan would be cool too.
I've almost finished one of the early Ezo Shogunate, and had another of Liaoyang in the works (since it's the most changed part of the mainland TTL) that I need to work on again. I'll get around to it at some point, even if it's the very last thing I do before I place this TL on hiatus in a few updates.

Chapter 12-Battles in the Snow
-XII-
"Battles in the Snow"

The forests and hills stretched without end, seemingly threatening to swallow Nanbu Sanetsugu and his soldiers where they stood. Even the densest, darkest forest in Mutsu held nothing on the murkiness of this expanse, lit only by the dull light of the sun gleaming off the snow. Ezo truly was a wild place, the homeland of the barbarians who in Mutsu were becoming more tame by the day.

His strategist, Date Munetsuna, approached from the brush. A tall bearded Ezo man stood by him, one of the hunters recruited from the mountains [1], holding a burnt stick.

"As you can see, my lord, the enemy has come through here. A small party of them killed one of our scouts, but we've no sign of their main host," the Ezo man said.

Sanetsugu clenched his fist. We're getting absolutely nowhere.

"My opinion, Lord Nanbu, is that this is a trap," Date said. "Six years ago, the eminent Houjou Tokimura lost his life along with most of his army after venturing too deep into these mountains. Our enemy doesn't have many men, and most are clearly peasants who fled from our forces."

"Lord Andou demanded we destroy this force and capture its leader," Sanetsugu explained. "You saw the banners some of their warriors carried--Ashina Morimune leads them. Alive or dead, if we display him before the walls of Odate then his father will be that much more likely to surrender the fortress. Losing a few dozen men here or there is nothing compared to taking a fortress intact without casualties."

Date sighed at Sanetsugu's explanation. Once Odate falls, he'll believe me. Suddenly Sanetsugu heard crunching noises in the snow and another Ezo scout walked toward them on his snowshoes.

"My lords, we found them!" he said quietly, panting for breath in the cold air. "They are at the river ahead."

"Perfect, take the army, crush them with numbers, and we'll get back to warm winter quarters instead of these dark forests," Sanetsugu said.

The Ezo scouts glanced nervously at each other.

"These hills are dangerous today," the Ezo man said. "The slightest mistake and the snow will swallow us all."

"That's why we have these," Date said, pointing to the snowshoes he wore. Sanetsugu wished his soldiers had them too--few did, and the snow might swallowed them to their waists.

"Even with those snowshoes, it's hopeless, my lord. You'll be crushed by a wall of snow. Perhaps instead we send in a small number of men and kill their leaders so the restdisperse." But Sanetsugu shook his head at the Ezo man's foolish request.

"Were you an actual warrior and not a mere hunter, you'd understand the foolishness in that strategy," Date said. "That's exactly what the enemy hopes we do."

"Exactly," Sanetsugu said. "We must crush them decisively. If you're too fearful of the snow, then you may leave as the coward you are." The Ezo man scowled, but sighed and walked off. That is why he is not in command of this force. He is a mere peasant, good for nothing but hunting game and finding a trail.

Sanetsugu continued advancing on horseback along the dark trail, his army marching alongside. After hours more of walking with the sun hanging low in the sky, he received word from a scout that the enemy was here. Sanetsugu rushed ahead toward a rise in the trail for a better look.

On a hillside ahead lay many enemy soldiers. Sanetsugu squinted, taking note of their formation. Groups of enemy soldiers wearing thick furs scattered across the slopes of the mountain above them, too distant from each other to support a true ambush. Sanetsugu smirked at the scattershot formation. Those peasants are incapable of fighting like warriors, and that Ashina Morimune lacks the skill his father possesses.

"Tighten formation!" Sanetsugu ordered as a few of the enemy peasants began firing arrows. They stand no chance, but the fewer casualties the better. An arrow struck his shield directly, fired by a man in the distance with numerous feathers and shining metal on his armour. He drew his bow for another shot, dramatically standing in front of the crest of his clan. Ashina Morimune...is that fool seeking single combat?

"Ignore his provocations, Lord Nanbu," Date cautioned. "He is with the invader, and they are never dignified enough to settle matters in single combat."

"I wasn't planning on dealing with him like that. Let us take his head and disperse his rabble," Sanetsugu said. "We'll charge right at him!"

Arrows continued to fly overhead, nearly all missing their target. Many were clearly fire arrows, striking against the trees rising out of the snow. Can these peasants and barbarians not even shoot straight? Just what are they up to?

As he drew nearer to Ashina Morimune, Sanetsugu fired his own bow at him, the shot landing just short of the target. Tch...to think he can outshoot me. His frustration translated into increasing the pace on his horse trotting across the deep snow. Just as he lined up another shot, the enemy started shouting and banging the weapons. Drums and shell trumpets rang out over the river valley as the enemy stopped what they were doing. Sanetsugu tried ignoring them, but noticed most of his army stopped.

"What the hell are you doing! Keep advancing toward Ashina and take his head!" he shouted, trying to rally his army. Yet frustrated as he was, he had to complement Ashina on arranging such an unsettling scene, even if he was buying but a precious few seconds.

As Sanetsugu turned back to get his forces into motion, the noise stopped as a great rumbling began. An earthquake? Hmph, it can't have anything to do with that. The gods wouldn't intervene on the side of an enemy who burns their shrines and persecutes those who preach the Lotus Sutra. But far from rallying his men, chaos engulfed his army with their own shouts.

"It's an avalanche!" voices around him shouted. "Run!" Sure enough, Sanetsugu looked up and saw several walls of snow headed toward him. Enemy soldiers scrambled to safe ledges, the wall of snow simply bypassing the majority of them. Terror welled up within him as he realised that through either sheer luck, hidden skill, or some favour of the gods, Ashina had summoned a force of destruction.

"Namu myouhou renge kyou, namu myouhou renge kyou, namu myouhou renge kyou," Sanetsugu started chanting, desperately hoping for divine intervention in his favour. The wall of snow struck him like a hammer blow and white faded into black.

---​

The Banpou Invasion of 1297 was not limited to just Japan. Befitting a war that started in the remote reaches of the Lower Heilong, the regions around the Kamakura Shogunate faced equal attention from the Mongol Empire. Temur Khan's demand for a final decisive war against Kamakura brought about conflict in adjacent regions, as the Yuan sought to completely isolate and destroy the Shogunate.

The Shogunate's allies numbered few, and the most noteworthy--Vietnam and Champa--were too distant and uninterested in challenging the immense might of the Mongols. This left their strongest allies being those Ainu chiefs of eastern Ezo and above all, the tribal chiefs of Okinawa, united into a loose confederation under the powerful lord known as King Eiso. Conquering these areas meant denying the Kamakura Shogunate their remaining allies and trade partners.

The Ainu chiefs of eastern Ezo had long been at war with the Mongols' local vassals, the Ezo Shogunate (itself nominally a vassal of the Kingdom of Japan) and a host of Jiliemi chiefs. Sheltered by the high mountains and volcanoes in the center of Ezo, few Ainu in this region backed the Ezo Shogunate. Due to the strong defenses of the Andou clan's homeland in Mutsu Province, the Ezo Shogunate under Andou Suemura attacked these tribes first.

In August 1297, Andou Suemura led 5,000 warriors from Yi'an, primarily Japanese, Chinese, and Ainu loyal to the Hinomoto clan due to difficulty in recruiting Jiliemi and Karafuto Ainu caused by the ongoing rebellion. They marched south to the coast and then turned east into the Hitakami Mountains [2]. Fighting many battles during the autumn, they burnt over a dozen Ainu villages and captured their chiefs. Several Japanese merchants, traders, and fishermen were captured as well--those who agreed to serve the Ezo Shogunate were deported to Yi'an or the Oshima Peninsula, but those who refused were exiled to distant Kyushu.

As winter drew nearer, Andou established three forts for controlling the area, stationing 500 warriors at each. From west to east, they were Monbetsu along the Saru River, Shizunai along the Shizunai River, and Ponnai. These locations were favoured for being reasonable to resupply by sea, supporting expeditions deep into the mountains, and above all, having ample plains for raising horses, an increasingly important economic activity for the Ezo Shogunate [3].

Meanwhile, Andou deliberately let a few of his Ainu prisoners escape to Honshu, where they informed Andou Gorou and the Kamakura Shogunate of his raids. Content his rival was busy warring with the Ainu, Andou did nothing but continue pacifying his own realm against the ever-ongoing conflict and fear of a disaster as happened in 1292. This was a dire mistake, for in early spring 1298, Andou Suemura attacked with 5,000 men and 50 ships and destroyed a dozen villages before retreating in the face of the Andou-suigun. Hundreds of Japanese and settled Ainu were carried off to Ezo and settled in villages and forts there.

An infuriated Andou Gorou demanded action from his superior, the chinjufu-shogun Houjou Munenobu. Houjou and Andou spent much of 1298 raising an army from Mutsu and Dewa Provinces, a difficult task given the number of men from these provinces killed and the ongoing conflict with the Honshu Ainu. While they assembled nearly 20,000 men, Andou Gorou was never to lead this army as he desired--at an advanced age, he died in his sleep on July 13, 1298 and was succeeded in all his positions by his son Andou Suemori (安藤季盛).

Aware of the large army assembled against him, Andou Suemura requested additional aid from Taxiala, but he obtained little in the way of reinforcements, for the main Yuan army was tied down subduing the rebellion in the lower Heilong basin and on Karafuto. The fighting there continued unceasingly in 1297 and 1298, as the Yuan destroyed numerous villages and abducted hostages to ensure the loyalty of the rebels. At the same time, they were met with constant ambushes from the wilderness that depleted their numbers.

The Kamakura Shogunate's army under Houjou Munenobu and Andou Suemori invaded Ezo in August 1298, as the Shogunate had done in the previous war. They landed in the most productive area for farming, destroying the fortress at Wakimoto and seizing numerous villages. Unlike before however, the Oshima Peninsula was more populated and more fortified, leading to resistance from the local samurai. Inawashiro Tadatsune (猪苗代忠経) led this force--however, his small numbers were rapidly crushed and by winter 1298 the majority of the Oshima Peninsula had fallen into the hands of the Kamakura Shogunate. Outnumbered nearly 4-to-1, Andou Suemura could do nothing except make harassing attacks on their supply lines.

Shogunate forces besieged Odate Castle, the final--and largest--fortification on the Oshima Peninsula, commanded by the prominent defector Ashina Yasumori. Yet they faced frequent uprisings from disgruntled peasants whose food they confiscated for supplies. The starving peasants joined forces with the remnants of the local samurai army and Ainu guides sent by Andou Suemura. Ashina Morimune (蘆名盛宗), son of Ashina Yasumori, rallied a force of around 1,000 and lured perhaps 5,000 Shogunate warriors under Nanbu Sanetsugu (南部実継) into the mountains.

Ashina Morimune, with the aid of his Ainu guides, lured them to the slopes of Mount Nakasengen near the source of the Oyobe River. The snowy winter had built a thick snowpack, but weather conditions had made it prone to avalanches. With his men perfectly positioned, Morimune attacked in a manner that ensured a great avalanche buried nearly the entire enemy force. The survivors were pulled from the snow and sent as prisoners to Mongol lines, while Nanbu was permitted to commit suicide.

The victory at Nakasengen caused terror in Shogunate ranks, for they assumed the Mongol army had arrived. Because of the harsh winter, Andou Suemori sent much of his remaining force home. Andou Suemura exploited this absence, leading a daring night attack in March 1299 with the aid of the few elite troops among Ashina Morimune's ranks. They lifted the siege of Odate and wounded Houjou Munenobu in battle, although Andou Suemori preserved much of his army as he retreated to Usukeshi, the finest port in Oshima [4].

Houjou Munenobu blamed Andou Suemori for the twin disasters, which infuriated the prideful leader. Suemori laid all the blame on his kinsman Andou Takanari (安藤堯勢) who had proposed--but not led--the expedition into the mountains. The Nanbu clan, also criticised by the Houjou, blamed Sanetsugu's strategist Date Munetsuna (伊達宗綱) for the disaster. The Date clan thus shouldered much of the blame, causing the suicide of Munetsuna's elderly father Masayori (伊達政依) and a great deal of lingering enmity between the Date, Andou, and Nanbu clans, as well as between Andou Takanari and his kinsmen.

Nonetheless, as spring came, the Shogunate reassembled and reinforced their army in Ezo to around 15,000 men and set out toward Odate. With affairs in Karafuto and in the Lower Heilong still distracting the Yuan from sending aid, the prospects for the Ezo Shogunate's victory looked just as bleak as before. Ezo shared in the fate of all Japan.

---
Author's notes

This is a short entry covering the first part of the Banpou Invasion in northern Japan. I figured I would separate that theater into its own entries since it isn't linked too much to the happenings elsewhere.Originally I was going to cover the Ryukyus as well, but I figured I needed to advance the sections on the "main" invasion before I can post that. Regardless, that entry was about 90% written as a result. There was also a map made for this entry that I will post in a few entries when I go back to Ezo and Mutsu.

As always, thank you for reading.

[1] - "Ezo" was also a common term for the Honshu Ainu (the island name "Ezo" arose as a shortened form of "Ezogashima"). The Matagi hunters of the Tohoku in later centuries are among their descendents.
[2] - OTL, these are the Hidaka Mountains, but "Hidaka" () is just a shortened form of Hitakami (), and I am using the latter because in A Horn of Bronze (this TL's nominal parent), "Hidaka" refers to Kamchatka. I will use "Hitakami" for the placenames in Hokkaido.
[3] - Monbetsu is currently part of the town of Hidaka, and Shizunai is currently part of the town of Shinhidaka. Ponnai was the original name for Urakawa in the late 18th century. Hokkaido was famed for horse breeding OTL, as was the Tohoku Region to the south. It was an Emishi tradition, but I am not sure what degree of it remained in the medieval Ainu culture descended from them.
[4] - Usukeshi was the original name for Hakodate used by both Japanese and Ainu

Last edited: