Rock bands continue with "pluralized countable noun" names

IOW, Rock bands still mostly all have names like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Sex Pistols, The Ramones etc, rather than like Led Zepplin, Chicago, Nirvana, Oasis etc.

(And yes, I realize there are still contemporary bands with PCN names, but I want it to be the overwhelming majority for the last fifty or so years.)

(Oh, and this is meant as a Challenge.)

Have to careful when picking band names, having The in front can portray too much of something that is not there. The main band I'm in is Henderson, it doesn't mean anything and therefore people haven't made up their mind that they don't like it.
Plus having room on the poster is something to take on board.

And Chicago started out as The Chicago Transit Authority

And Chicago started out as The Chicago Transit Authority

Yeah, but that's still a singular countable, not plural.

Though I suppose it does point to a certain identity shared by the band members, eg. "We are the Beatles", "We are the Chicago Transit Authority", whereas names like "Led Zeppelin" or "Boney M" don't have the same effect, possibly because they don't lend themselves to a grammatically correct sentence.

And I'm still kind of wondering why PCN names seemed to fall out of favour in the late 60s, specifically. Was it just people got tired of hearing the same sort of names over and over again? I will note that, after that, bands using the old nomenclature often seemed to be styling themselves as a throwback to old-school rock and roll, eg. the Stray Cats.

Last edited: