Ranks in Islamic Armies?

Does anyone know the ranks of Al-Andalusian army? Or Islamic Armies in general? I'm looking specifically for ranks used in the Early to Mid, Middle Ages if there is any great changes between that time and now.

It really depended on the region, throughout the Islamic world there was a common theme on slave soldiers as infantry, however the terms for these varied (Ghulams, Mamelukes, Janissaries, Saliqaba). Cavalry tended to be made up of Yemeni Arabs in the Umayyad era, and then following the end of the Umayyad's, Turks tended to fulfil the majority of Cavalry in the eastern half of the Islamic world whilst Berbers fulfilled this role in the Maghreb and Al-Andalus.

With Al-Andalus specifically, it's hard to discuss, as Al-Andalus was only a singular monolithic entity for just over 200 years, and even then revolts were common and many unofficial semi independent kingdoms existed. Before the Taifa (and only really during the era of the Berber Empires did a successful drafting system exist) period, there was no real working system of drafting soldiers within the Emirate/Caliphate of Cordoba. Whilst fiefs existed that in theory should have supplied the troops when necessary, they were often the ones who that the Caliph/Emir needed to use troops to fight against.

Different rulers used different methods to overcome this weakness. Abd-Ar-Rahman I enlisted Syrian Arabs escaping from the Abbasid Caliphate to govern his Emirate, Abd-Ar-Rahman III introduced slave soldiers from eastern Europe known as Saqilaba to act as a wedge against both the Arab upper class, and the revolting Muladis, and Al-Mansur used a personal army made of Berbers only loyal to himself.

Some common terms are:
'Amir' which correlates to commander or general.
'Djund' which can mean a unit within the army or the army itself.
'Faris' meaning a knight, a trained soldier from an upper class education.
'Hashem' which means the royal/imperial guard.
'Ahdath' which meant militia forces, often untrained and made purely of armed peasants.

I hope this has been helpful :).

It really depended on the region, throughout the Islamic world there was a common theme on slave soldiers as infantry, however the terms for these varied (Ghulams, Mamelukes, Janissaries, Saliqaba). Cavalry tended to be made up of Yemeni Arabs in the Umayyad era, and then following the end of the Umayyad's, Turks tended to fulfil the majority of Cavalry in the eastern half of the Islamic world whilst Berbers fulfilled this role in the Maghreb and Al-Andalus.

With Al-Andalus specifically, it's hard to discuss, as Al-Andalus was only a singular monolithic entity for just over 200 years, and even then revolts were common and many unofficial semi independent kingdoms existed. Before the Taifa (and only really during the era of the Berber Empires did a successful drafting system exist) period, there was no real working system of drafting soldiers within the Emirate/Caliphate of Cordoba. Whilst fiefs existed that in theory should have supplied the troops when necessary, they were often the ones who that the Caliph/Emir needed to use troops to fight against.

Different rulers used different methods to overcome this weakness. Abd-Ar-Rahman I enlisted Syrian Arabs escaping from the Abbasid Caliphate to govern his Emirate, Abd-Ar-Rahman III introduced slave soldiers from eastern Europe known as Saqilaba to act as a wedge against both the Arab upper class, and the revolting Muladis, and Al-Mansur used a personal army made of Berbers only loyal to himself.

Some common terms are:
'Amir' which correlates to commander or general.
'Djund' which can mean a unit within the army or the army itself.
'Faris' meaning a knight, a trained soldier from an upper class education.
'Hashem' which means the royal/imperial guard.
'Ahdath' which meant militia forces, often untrained and made purely of armed peasants.

I hope this has been helpful :).

Thank you very much. This will be quite helpful.

I'm not sure there ever was a unitary system. Mamluk Egyptian armies used the term 'amir' for an officer, augmented by a designation of the number of men he commanded or the specific function he had (e.g. 'amir of ten', 'amir of a thousand', 'amir of gunners'). This is certainly today felt to be the 'traditional Arab' system, used by Daesh, but that may be as wrong as horned helmets on Germanic forbears.

The Ottomans, by contrast, had separate rank systems in the different parts of their armed forces, with janissary, sipahi, navy and militia ranks using separate designations and structures. A corbasi (commander of a janissary orta) was not the equivalent or anything like a rais (captain of a naval vessel). They were felt to be different things.

The Safavids seem to be complicated.

Generally, the difference to today is great. Muslim countries of our day have adopted European-style militaries with a separate, specifically trained officer corps and ranks on the basis of the company - batallion - (regiment) - division - corps organisational structure. Their names are often local, but they are just translations of covenience attached to what are, in effect, lieutenants, colonels, or generals.

I do not know about the divisions in the armies in Andalus at any time. But in the early Islamic armies of the Rashidun and Umayyad periods the armies were split based on the operation a particular troop performed. One important aspect of the early Islamic armies and of Arab armies of the Nejd, Hijaz, etc was the use of Mubarizun as duelists. This was very common in the warfare in the interior of Arabia as a way to boost an armies morale and frighten the enemy. The Mubarizun in the Rashidun period were highly esteemed and was a major factor in the victories in Iraq against the more disciplined Sassanids. Ali Ibn Talib was perhaps the most famed of these fighters and was claimed by Muhammad to be the most skilled warrior in the Islamic army. Earning various titles, that while important to the Islamic army were not official.

So the divisions were along the lines of:

Mubarizun- most important, the famed warriors and usually relatives of Muhammad and highest category of Sahaba.

Rijal- infantry. Mainly made up of light infantry common in interior Arab armies. The troops often carried light small bows which they would use on the charge and in the retreat (which was usually feigned). These tactics where very common in Arabia, especially the Nejd and Hijaz at the time period as seen in the Riddah wars. These infantry however where not counted as the same as the Arachers or foragers and served there role specifically. However, during the Umayyad period more armour was added and the infantry became diversified into armored (usually in the Sassanid style) and traditional.

Fursan/Furusiyyah- Or the cavalry and knights was the horsemen and was separate from the Camel cores. These were usually light during the Riddah wars and medium during the Umayyad period. Often times carrying javelins that they would throw in engagements. Armored cavalry while having some forms in the Umayyad period was not significant until the mid Abbasid period.

Rumat- or archers where a major force in the Arab armies in the interior and of the Rashidun. It was very effective in the conquest using fire on arrows in combination with hot climates. These troops in early periods included slingers but did not include javelins who were carried by infantry typically.

Rukban- or the camel core, was the troops who rode camels. These were not armored and used varied weapons (same as Fursan), while it is typically pictured the Arab soldier attacking on a camel, this was not usually true. The camel was more used as a fear factor against Byzantine troops and as beast of burden, carrying vital supplies while also being capable of battle.

Tali'ah- the scouts, who watched enemy positions not unlike other scouts found outside Arabia. Nothing special.

Nuhhab al-Mu'an- or the foragers, perhaps the most important troops category (between them and the Mubarizun) in the early Arab armies both Muslim and non Muslim. These troops were vital in the Nejd and Hijaz on campaign as the land is unforgiving and campaigning for long without the ability to feed off the land is a guaranteed loss. Due to this clear division and experience in foraging, made the Islamic armies of the Rashidun and Umayyad far better in long campaigns than their opponents, especially the Sassanid, who were outcompeted in their own homeland.

I could go into more detail on tactics and such, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

Some other terms,
Mubarizun - this is an early Islamic term, originating from the original Rashidun Caliphate. It basically translates to 'Champion' and was considered to be the most elite unit within the army, often only one person with the title per battle. Some famous examples would be Khalid ibn Walid and Caliph Ali. The reason for the position dying out I'm not sure, but I assume the warfare changed to it being unecessary.

Ghazi - religious warrior, more of honorary title than an actual position, meant being involved in conflict known as Ghazwa (holy war against enemies of the Ummah)

Baladi - equivalent to feudal forces in Western Europe, troops collected and drafted by a client noble.

EDIT: Ninja'd on Mubarizun, John7755 يوحنا* gave a better definition than I could.

Some other terms,
Mubarizun - this is an early Islamic term, originating from the original Rashidun Caliphate. It basically translates to 'Champion' and was considered to be the most elite unit within the army, often only one person with the title per battle. Some famous examples would be Khalid ibn Walid and Caliph Ali. The reason for the position dying out I'm not sure, but I assume the warfare changed to it being unecessary.

Ghazi - religious warrior, more of honorary title than an actual position, meant being involved in conflict known as Ghazwa (holy war against enemies of the Ummah)

Baladi - equivalent to feudal forces in Western Europe, troops collected and drafted by a client noble.

EDIT: Ninja'd on Mubarizun, John7755 يوحنا* gave a better definition than I could.

Yea Ghazi was much more a title than a actual use or soldier type. Muhjahadeen basically the same meaning is very similar. Technically every Islamic soldier is a Ghazi or Muhjahid, but it would be the leaders or high placed soldiers who would call themselves this.

The Mubarizun went out of style after the Umayyad period as the "Arab" martial skills amongst the ruling class deteriorated and the dependency on Mamluks was made evident. The Umayyad period kept this style of warfare, however less so than the Rashidun period. This basically entwines with the weakening of the Arab ruling class between the fall of the Umayyad and the rise of the Mu'Tazila.

Also, since your specifically looking at Al-Andalus, is there anything else about the area you need help with? It is one of my stronger suits ;).

Does anyone know the ranks of Al-Andalusian army? Or Islamic Armies in general? I'm looking specifically for ranks used in the Early to Mid, Middle Ages if there is any great changes between that time and now.

While I understand the idea, sticking too close to medieval term would be the same as having a modern european army using rank names such as Squire and Banneret (sounds cool but you get the idea).

If you're looking only for "terms" for a moden Al-Andalous army, you could just as well use those common to the armies in OTL's maghreb that are not derivative of european ones:

jundi = private
jundi awwal = private first class
Arif = corporal
arif awwal = corporal first class
raqib = sergeant
raqib awwal = sergeant first class
raqib qaid = chief sergeant
musaid = adjutant
musaid awwal = adjutant first class

mulazim = lieutenant
mulazim awwal = lieutenant first class
naqib = captain