Not so invincible after all: Fastest declines of powerful dynasties and noble houses 1200-1500AD

At a given point in time a royal dynasty or noble house may seem unassailable, both militarily and politically, yet find itself sidelined by defeat in battle or outmaneuvering in court. For the purpose of this thread I am excluding cases of foreign aggression, such as Alexander of Macedon's conquest of Persia. I am looking for examples where a ruling dynasty or preeminent noble house was knocked off its high seat by domestic opposition within five years or less. For ATL purposes we can consider instances where this nearly occurred but was narrowly averted OTL.

Edit: The period of time I'd like to focus on is 1200-1500AD

Last edited:
The Direct Capetians might count, if you consider the Valois a separate branch and "lack of male heirs" an acceptable way of a dynasty being sidelined. In 1310, France was the most powerful country in Western Europe, and Philip IV the infamous Iron King who purged the Templars. Within two decades, however, his male line had died out and the throne was now in the hands of his nephew.

There's also Pedro the Cruel of Castile being deposed by the Trastamara half-brothers of his, although once again a cadet branch and the Black Prince did some campaigning in Spain.

The Direct Capetians might count, if you consider the Valois a separate branch and "lack of male heirs" an acceptable way of a dynasty being sidelined
For the purpose of this thread, the dying out of a line from lack of heirs is not being considered. I'm interested in cases where domestic opposition caused the fall of the dynasty or noble house. Palace intrigues, feuds between noble houses, and revolts of nobility against the crown are more what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
In 1331, the Houjou clan dominated Japan as they had for over a century, with the power to name both shogun and emperor (and crown prince) and whose direct vassals controlled about 25% of Japan's arable land. Although there were some problems arising internally, their rule seemed secure since they crushed two rebellions in the 1320s, purged some notable troublemakers, and in 1331 won a war against forces who sought to restore Emperor Go-Daigo to direct rule over Japan and banished the emperor to some remote islands.

Then in 1333 the banished emperor returned to the mainland thanks to help from a smuggler, started the rebellion again, and within a few months seized both Kyoto and Kamakura. Most of the Houjou clan and their direct vassals committed mass suicide. The remnants attempted to return to power in 1335 and somehow succeeded for a few months, but then themselves were destroyed. The few survivors of the Houjou clan after this event never amounted to much and remained only minor lords. They were so thoroughly consigned to history that no one cared 200 years later when a prominent lord of Sagami changed his surname to Houjou and "revived" their clan.

The Goryeo Wang family had lasted almost 500 years and survived Khitan, Jurchen, and Mongol invasions when King Wang U decided to conquer the Liaodong peninsula, which amounted to an invasion of the nascent Ming dynasty. The invasion ended the Wang dynasty, but not because the Ming armies crushed the Goryeo. Instead, the general who was sent to lead the Goryeo armies, Yi Seong-gye, decided that overthrowing the king would be easier than defeating the Ming and turned back. Wang U and the last of the Wang kings were rapidly deposed and killed over the next 4 years, Yi Seong-gye would found the Joseon dynasty as King Taejo, and the Wang clan would be nearly exterminated altogether. For reference, 90% of the Wangs left in Korea trace their descent back to a single prince who survived the end of the dynasty.

At a given point in time a royal dynasty or noble house may seem unassailable, both militarily and politically, yet find itself sidelined by defeat in battle or outmaneuvering in court. For the purpose of this thread I am excluding cases of foreign aggression, such as Alexander of Macedon's conquest of Persia. I am looking for examples where a ruling dynasty or preeminent noble house was knocked off its high seat by domestic opposition within five years or less. For ATL purposes we can consider instances where this nearly occurred but was narrowly averted OTL.

Edit: The period of time I'd like to focus on is 1200-1500AD

they would probably be more attributable as a dynastic failure, rather than a series of successful plots against them, but most of the HRE families from the Ottonians up to Frederick III would be quite in line with your question ( with the Staufen having actually been destroyed by external forces : Papacy, Angevins and pro-Guelph German princes )

The House of York's end seems like it ought to count as at least worth mentioning, although I'm not sure what "within five years or less" refers to here - five years or less of what?

although I'm not sure what "within five years or less" refers to here - five years or less of what?
It seems pretty clear to me. The premise is "declining and destruction from seeming invincibility within a 5 year period or less." Their given time period is just to reinforce the fishing for "sudden destruction" examples so that people don't post things like "invincible" dynasties declining over 200 years and such.

It seems pretty clear to me. The premise is "declining and destruction from seeming invincibility within a 5 year period or less." Their given time period is just to reinforce the fishing for "sudden destruction" examples so that people don't post things like "invincible" dynasties declining over 200 years and such.

The reason I'm not sure is that someone could argue that Edward IV dying without an adult heir doesn't seem that invincible, but it sure counts as the dynasty being kicked off the high seat within five years of the founder's (given that Edward's father was never king) death. I think that makes sense for this discussion, but I'm not sure everyone agrees.

The closest i can come to fulfilment of your query is the Suri dynasty in India. But that one just falls out of range of period (16th century)
I think your best bet is an older ‘nomadic’ dynasty, where one member is extremely successful, but where trouble starts after his death.

For the purpose of this thread I am excluding cases of foreign aggression, such as Alexander of Macedon's conquest of Persia
The thing is no dynasty lacks external aggressors- domestic opposition tends to just support the foreign forces when their own government becomes unworkable.

It’s not five years from invincibility to ignominy but maybe the fall of the Yuan dynasty is noteworthy- they went from claiming leadership of the largest empire the world had ever seen, and to various degrees having those claims acknowledged in the other khanates, in the 1340s to losing control of their military forces in the 1350s and needing to flee from Khanbaliq in 1368.

An alternate revolt of the comuneros might also fit the bill- depriving Charles V of all his lands south of the alps. Perhaps Joanna the Mad decides to spite the men who’ve confined her her whole life and throws her lot in with the rebels, perhaps marrying a nobleman and creating a new Spanish dynasty.

Last edited:
It’s not five years from invincibility to ignominy but maybe the fall of the Yuan dynasty is noteworthy- they went from claiming leadership of the largest empire the world had ever seen, and to various degrees having those claims acknowledged in the other khanates, in the 1340s to losing control of their military forces in the 1350s and needing to flee from Khanbaliq in 1368.
The Ilkhanate is also a great example since they imploded into constant civil war after Abu Said Bahadur Khan died without a clear successor in 1335. While the power of the Ilkhan himself was declining in the 14th century, it was clear the Ilkhan still had some control over the situation. This was clearly not the case afterwards where the Ilkhanate was just a bunch of warring emirs presided over by a puppet Ilkhan who was regularly deposed within months of his ascension. A huge reason they persisted for another few decades was due to the Jalayirids being the last to abandon the idea of a puppet Ilkhan, unlike many of the other warlords, Sufi movements, Turkic tribes, etc. involved. Ibn Battuta found such a sudden collapse a great surprise.

Perhaps Joanna the Mad decides to spite the men who’ve confined her her whole life and throws her lot in with the rebels, perhaps marrying a nobleman and creating a new Spanish dynasty.

She might be a little too old to bear children at that point, though.

Hungarian Angevins: under Charles Robert and his son Louis the Great Hungary was stronger than ever, but Louis died without sons, rights of his daughters were questioned, his realm was split and Hungary descended into Civil War.

If we count the male line dying out, the House of Normandy might count. Henry I had tons of out of wedlock sons, but his only male heir died in a ship accident, leaving him to make a daughter the new heir, something that was never going to sit well with many nobles.

Of course, her son won out in the end, but he belonged to a line of French nobles from Anjou.

Hungarian Angevins: under Charles Robert and his son Louis the Great Hungary was stronger than ever, but Louis died without sons, rights of his daughters were questioned, his realm was split and Hungary descended into Civil War.

OP excluded "lack of male heirs" as reason of being sidelined, so therefore I'd rather say that Albertian Habsburgs are more of an example, Albert II died despite leaving pregnant wife and when his son was born, despite his father ruling one of the strongest states of Europe (combination of Hungary and Bohemia, sleeping on gold and silver), he had to face contest from the total rando Vladislaus the3rd of Poland to Hungarian crown and even in Bohemia, nobility wanted to give the crown to Jagiellons and it was only due to Oleśnicki blocking that Jagiellons didn't go for it, here the reason of dynasty being sidelined is:
a) elective principle taking it's root in Bohemia and to lesser extent, Hungary
b) Turkish pressure which prompted Hungarian lords to seek Vladislaus 3rd as their lord

In 1331, the Houjou clan dominated Japan as they had for over a century, with the power to name both shogun and emperor (and crown prince) and whose direct vassals controlled about 25% of Japan's arable land. Although there were some problems arising internally, their rule seemed secure since they crushed two rebellions in the 1320s, purged some notable troublemakers, and in 1331 won a war against forces who sought to restore Emperor Go-Daigo to direct rule over Japan and banished the emperor to some remote islands.

Then in 1333 the banished emperor returned to the mainland thanks to help from a smuggler, started the rebellion again, and within a few months seized both Kyoto and Kamakura. Most of the Houjou clan and their direct vassals committed mass suicide.
I find this example particularly interesting. Within the time period I have given, are there any European/Islamic/Indian examples of an "invincible" dynasty or noble house that crumbled upon the return of a former ruler or pretender from exile?