No Highways

Well, not none at all...

What if, for whatever reason, the modern concept of the limited-access expressway/freeway was never developed? Or, if it must be developed, was very rare and limited to only a few areas. Parkways and other near-freeways are allowed, but try not to go past that.

Thande

Donor
Well, not none at all...

What if, for whatever reason, the modern concept of the limited-access expressway/freeway was never developed? Or, if it must be developed, was very rare and limited to only a few areas. Parkways and other near-freeways are allowed, but try not to go past that.
Sorry can you clarify this? Do you mean motorway/autobahn? Because I believe 'highways' were invented, depending on your definition, either by the Romans or somewhat earlier :p

Sorry can you clarify this? Do you mean motorway/autobahn? Because I believe 'highways' were invented, depending on your definition, either by the Romans or somewhat earlier :p
And now we get into confusing terminology... I think what you're saying by autobahn is what I mean... A completely separated highway, accessible only by exits, designed for higher speed traffic, versus something like the pre-WW2 US Highway system, where many routes were simply drawn along existing roads.

Terminology is confusing on this issue...

Thande

Donor
And now we get into confusing terminology... I think what you're saying by autobahn is what I mean... A completely separated highway, accessible only by exits, designed for higher speed traffic, versus something like the pre-WW2 US Highway system, where many routes were simply drawn along existing roads.

Terminology is confusing on this issue...
I don't think we really have those in the UK. I mean, there are motorways, which is a somewhat similar concept, but these are typically developed and widened areas of existing roads rather than completely new ones (of course, building a completely new road in Britain would be quite difficult as it would go through 526 different properties and destroy 234 historic monuments :rolleyes: )

So I'm guessing this is a US-specific, or perhaps just non-Europe-specific, WI.

Well, I know the Inner Belt Expressway in Boston was canceled for the same reason you give, that it would destroy too many properties and claim too much land...

I suppose it may be more America-specific, but a lot of this board is :p

Well, I'm from Los Angeles, and if all the freeways were to suddenly dissappear, lets just say that LA's economy would go down the toilet. The streets would become so congested that nobody would want to live there anymore. Los Angeles would get a heart attack (clogged arteries...er streets) and die.

On a historical note, the reason that freeways developed to the extent they did in Los Angeles is that during the turn of the century, the railroad barons cheated taxpayer dollars for personal wealth, so with the advent of the automobile, Los Angeles opted for highways as an alternative to rail. I suppose if there were no freeways, then Los Angeles would be... actually to tell you the truth its too hard to imagine for me a Los Angeles without freeways.

Well I was thinking about what would happen in Massachusetts without the Southeast Expressway, and I think Route 3 would be totally unworkable in the current climate as well... Sure, routes into Boston would still exist, but the alternatives to the highway are local roads that are covered with traffic lights and simply don't have the capacity.

Basically, I think it would probably force people out of their cars and... where? The railroads, especially in the Northeast, could still very easily fall apart- the New Haven was basically dead by 1956, before many highways were built, for example. It would be interesting to see what happens...

I'm assuming he means a situation like we would have here in The USA if The Interstate Highways Act of 1956 had never been enacted and we had no interstate highways.

In that case I think we would have a lot more reliance on railroads and train travel for long distance travel within The USA, and a lot more reliance on commuter rail travel. In that regard it would be much as it was here in the 1930's and 40's. There would also be more air travel for long distances inside The USA. Very little freight would be hauled long distance by trucks, so railroads would be much more important than in OTL.

With computers and the internet a lot more people would be working from home telecommuting using computers and the internet, so that might ease some of the commuter traffic and traffic clogs on the highways. More shopping would be done over the internet with the products coming to your town or city by rail and air, then delivered to your door by truck.

Cars and trucks would be used mostly for local driving and shorter distances. Yes some people would take long driving trips, but driving say from New York to Chicago would take longer than in OTL because the interstate highway system just wouldn't be there.

I'm not sure modern America as we know it in 2007 could exist without our modern interstate highway system and turnpikes. Without the ease it gives us to move people and products we probably wouldn't have the kind of economy we have today.

MrP

Banned
Have you checked out The Dean's Green and Pleasant Land TL? It deals with a similar scenario in the UK - rail remains the major way to get goods across the country. Cars are used for more limited local travel.

Er, given that Americans seem to consider a five hour drive a short one, let me clarify: short drives are no more than an hour at the outside.

I'm assuming he means a situation like we would have here in The USA if The Interstate Highways Act of 1956 had never been enacted and we had no interstate highways.
Well, it would have to be earlier than that. Interstate-style highways existed before then... for example, the New York State Thruway in the early 1950s and Massachusetts Turnpike in 1957.

MrP

Banned
Well, it would have to be earlier than that. Interstate-style highways existed before then... for example, the New York State Thruway in the early 1950s and Massachusetts Turnpike in 1957.

I dunno whether the situation's similar in the USA (though I can't see why it wouldn't be), but one of the problems for the railways over here was WWI. There was quite a bit of mechanised traffic, so lots of people were taught to drive. Then after the war there was a mess of surplus vehicles that the Army couldn't dump fast enough.

As Old Elastic has pointed out Expressway, Motorway and Autobahn are not quite interchangeable terms. However that aside in a large continent transport is required. How it is provided is another matter.
In the USA the autoroute path have overtaken the coverage of railways. Then again with the speed limits in force in the US it is hardly rapid transit. For that you have to take to the air.
In Europe we almost have both road and rail, with rail easily the fastest even competing with air for journey times. The most interesting prospect is what system will dominate in, India, Africa, South America and China. Non of these places have extensive motorway type networks and all have profitable rail systems. With increasing fuel costs and enormous capital outlays required I would predict it not be a massive road building project.