Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

AHC:
Without changing the form of their government (No fascist coup, Yukio Mishima coup etc)

Using POD after Jan 1 1970
Making US-Japan relation like OTL US-China hostile relations

And making US-Canada relations like OTL US-Russia hostile relations
(No such things as Canada communism revolution)

Most relevant problems that the Ottoman Empire would face if it still existed in 1936 with all its territories?
I don't really consider this question answerable. We're speculating on what, three hundred years of divergent history? That's enough time to solve any social problem if things go right (and develop any one if things go wrong), and "everything from Iraq to Hungary to Algeria is under one monarchy" doesn't constrain that much.

Crown Prince Rudolf has a son instead of a daughter, named Joseph, who has a similar personality and philosophy to Emperor Joseph II. Say he is also born in 1883. How would a hypothetical Crown Prince Joseph get involved in Austrian politics prior and during WWI? Both Franz Ferdinand and Crown Prince Joseph working together may have been enough to topple the old Austrian aristocracy and maybe sabotage the Central Powers, thereby preventing WWI. He would have been young (31 in 1914), but it's possible.

Possibly, Franz Joseph dies in 1913 due to increased stress of having to deal with a liberal heir, thereby Crown Prince Joseph becomes Emperor before 1914. I think he would be pretty critical of Germany and the Central Power Alliance like Crown Prince Rudolf and Franz Ferdinand (a pity that both liberals were killed). Perhaps he still maintains it, but he refuses to go to war if a similar situation to the July Crisis does happen. He probably becomes a Gorbachev in that case and sees Austria-Hungary dissolve under hie rule, at the significant benefit of preventing WWI. Even before coming into power, Crown Prince Joseph can challenge guys like Hortzendorff on Austrian internal and foreign policy too.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter in the slightest. The Point of Divergence needed for your scenario has to be all the way back in the 17th century at the very latest. And it's the POD that determines which forum you need to post your scenario/question in.
So a story whose main and narrative setting is after 1900 cannot enter a forum of that nature because its change was on another date?

So a story whose main and narrative setting is after 1900 cannot enter a forum of that nature because its change was on another date?
Yes. And look at it from anyone else's perspective. You're asking what problems would the empire face if it had its peak borders in 1936. Okay, so how did it keep those borders. Was it aliens? Ataturk time traveling to help them out? A well thought out and plausible sequence of events? It could be anything. Until we know we can't answer. Some people may not event want to answer since if you don't care enough about your own idea to develop it to the bare minimum, why should they? Till then the answer is: since the empire has those borders in 1936 but we don't know how, its problems can be whatever you want.

Both Franz Ferdinand and Crown Prince Joseph working together may have been enough to topple the old Austrian aristocracy and maybe sabotage the Central Powers, thereby preventing WWI. He would have been young (31 in 1914), but it's possible.
Franz Ferdinand's influence was near solely based upon his position as crown prince. Without this position I don't see him having any kind of power to accomplish much. Furthermore, his marriage would further work against him. Even more than it did OTL.

Honestly, I'm dying to know how a proponent of enlightened absolutism would lead to any toppling of the old Austrian aristocracy. Overall, it would feel like at most one step forward would be taken, through an abolishment of the privileges the Hungarian nobility held as well as the House of Lords(Herrenhaus), but for that the Crown Prince would also try to abolish the constitution, which would be like 20 steps back.

I can state that in any realistic scenario, none of this would happen. The Ausgleich or Compromise of 1867 was seen by FJ as one of his greatest accomplishments. He didn't want to touch it. What you propose, means touching it. You need far more than a little despot to get such a change.

Something I know is highly implausible but I always wondered what a Habsburg restoration of Austria-Hungary after WWII would look like if the Western Allies think bringing it back would be good for stability.

Yes. And look at it from anyone else's perspective. You're asking what problems would the empire face if it had its peak borders in 1936. Okay, so how did it keep those borders. Was it aliens? Ataturk time traveling to help them out? A well thought out and plausible sequence of events? It could be anything. Until we know we can't answer. Some people may not event want to answer since if you don't care enough about your own idea to develop it to the bare minimum, why should they? Till then the answer is: since the empire has those borders in 1936 but we don't know how, its problems can be whatever you want.
It is set in 1936 so it is after 1900

Sorry if I’m asking another question so soon but how long could the US go without the FDA being formed or more importantly mandates on food safety. Let’s say “The Jungle” never releases, or Dr.Wiley died early, some sort of meat packaging cover up happened, whatever you want, how long could loosely moderated food go?

Sorry if I’m asking another question so soon but how long could the US go without the FDA being formed or more importantly mandates on food safety. Let’s say “The Jungle” never releases, or Dr.Wiley died early, some sort of meat packaging cover up happened, whatever you want, how long could loosely moderated food go?
Well, it might push back the 1938 Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act by a few years I would say it is very likely that the very pro-regulation presidency of FDR or Truman would at some point get around to regulating the industry, especially as bad conditions and quality of food may risk harming the war effort in terms of worsening or slowing down the supply of rations to the troops.

It is set in 1936 so it is after 1900
Again, no one cares about that, because for such a setup to be possible you need an older POD. And this is leaving out the fact that you forgot to define the "Ottoman peak borders".

To expand on the point, you can't set a totally different setting from OTL 1936, which requires a POD centuries ago, and then pretend the POD is in 1936 because "that's where I start the story." And again, you didn't define the borders or anything about how the Empire works (if it's still an Empire at all, because we don't know!)

Last edited: