Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A diagram showing Poland as a cornerstone of intricate anti-communist web of alliances in alternate central Europe post-WWI. Loosely based on Wir Sind Spartakus timeline. I originally intended to include all of ATL 'European' and Communist alliances but it was becoming way too complicated, so I limited myself to those directly related to Poland. Is this diagram readable?

Interesting. Is Ruthenia Belarus+Ukraine?

Nietzsche

Banned
The Ottomans might prefer influence over the emerging independent Transcaucasian states rather than just moving in and replacing one unpopular imperial oppressor with another.

Crimea is striped on his map, which I guess means it's contested between Soviet and German irregular forces, as I don't think they'd agree to a joint occupation.
In the original, Crimea was Soviet. Which made no sense to me. So I decided that it would be a contested area. It's the second most vital port in the Black Sea, neither side would just give it up.

Philip

Donor
A diagram showing Poland as a cornerstone of intricate anti-communist web of alliances in alternate central Europe post-WWI. Loosely based on Wir Sind Spartakus timeline.

I highly approve, even if it is not a map.

Edit: I suppose it is a map, just not in the kind we are used to in this thread.

Magnificate - it looks good, and is readable. However, without the title and the description, it would appear that France, rather than Poland, is the most important player in this system. What if you rotated everything 90 degrees and tried to move France somewhere so that it doesn't stick out?

it would appear that France, rather than Poland, is the most important player in this system.
Which isn't entirely untrue. While ITTL Poland is a cornerstone of central European system of alliances it is a junior partner when compared to France.
What if you rotated everything 90 degrees and tried to move France somewhere so that it doesn't stick out?
I'll try that.

Philip

Donor
Magnificate - it would appear that France, rather than Poland, is the most important player in this system. What if you rotated everything 90 degrees and tried to move France somewhere so that it doesn't stick out?

Now that you mention it, I agree. Perhaps the Polish flag could be bigger too.

09camaro - That might form a fair case for Germany not grabbing French Somaliland, then. Taking it at the negotiating table could well be seen as aggressive maneuvering by Germany, which isn't in a position to threaten Britain.

Nietzsche - Thanks! The changes look great: I wanted to avoid the idea of Germany annexing large chunks of the Baltic region, but having them form a Baltic duchy with the idea of closer integration later (whether anything comes of it or not) is quite believable. Does the striping on the Crimea indicate sole German occupation? I've seen a few CP Victory maps that give the Crimea autonomous status under either Germany or the Ottomans, but was trying to suggest a less harsh *Brest-Litovsk treaty.

UPDATE: Just noticed your new post. I presume your reasoning is that if Russia has lost badly enough to cede the Ukraine, holding on to the Crimean port is out?

Ridwan Asher - Batumi would be a fairly plausible gain: anything more than that would go against the fairly minimalistic scenario I envisaged. I was actually unsure whether the Ottoman Empire would have enough prestige after the war to get the concessions I already have (redrawn SoI in Arabia, Mediterranean bases, Dodecanese from Italy). If the Caucasian states have taken advantage of a weakened Russia to break free, rather than being liberated by peace treaty (as indicated by the fact that Russia still claims them), it's likely the Ottomans would try and gain influence near their borders but annexing it would be a breach of the peace treaty. The Crimea was supposed to be a reflection of the fact that Russia hadn't been as soundly defeated as OTL (perhaps due to a P.O.D. involving Germany shifting troops to the west), and so it doesn't become part of the new ethnic Ukrainian state.

Nietzsche

Banned
Nietzsche - Thanks! The changes look great: I wanted to avoid the idea of Germany annexing large chunks of the Baltic region, but having them form a Baltic duchy with the idea of closer integration later (whether anything comes of it or not) is quite believable. Does the striping on the Crimea indicate sole German occupation? I've seen a few CP Victory maps that give the Crimea autonomous status under either Germany or the Ottomans, but was trying to suggest a less harsh *Brest-Litovsk treaty.

UPDATE: Just noticed your new post. I presume your reasoning is that if Russia has lost badly enough to cede the Ukraine, holding on to the Crimean port is out?

Pretty much. Why have Ukraine if not the Crimea as well?

Magnificate - it looks good, and is readable. However, without the title and the description, it would appear that France, rather than Poland, is the most important player in this system. What if you rotated everything 90 degrees and tried to move France somewhere so that it doesn't stick out?
I was going to suggest that, but at the moment the "map" is arranged roughly by geography. Perhaps rotating the text 90 degrees and putting "Polish Alliance System" above the French flag and "Overview 1927" below?

A diagram showing Poland as a cornerstone of intricate anti-communist web of alliances in alternate central Europe post-WWI. Loosely based on Wir Sind Spartakus timeline. I originally intended to include all of ATL 'European' and Communist alliances but it was becoming way too complicated, so I limited myself to those directly related to Poland. Is this diagram readable?

Ooh, pretty. Reasable, but also very imaginative, and a fascinatingly ambiguous glimpse of the TL. Salutations, sir.

Thande

Donor
Complicated, but just about readable.

Somewhat reminds me of the ones from the (German) Penguin Atlas of World History.

POD 1983. A different front overthrows the Derg earlier, persuades Eritrea to remain in Ethiopia, and establishes a democracy and reigional powerhouse.

fcto.png

Thanks for your positive comments.

Perhaps rotating the text 90 degrees and putting "Polish Alliance System" above the French flag and "Overview 1927" below?
I tried this and the previous suggestion but it didn't look right with that much empty space left. It seems like the vertical title is the way to go for the foreseeable future.

Susano

Banned
POD 1983. A different front overthrows the Derg earlier, persuades Eritrea to remain in Ethiopia, and establishes a democracy and reigional powerhouse.

I dont think this would work. I think constant guerilla war would be more likely. Mind, given the situation Eritrea is in now maybe constant guerilal war would even be the better alternative. But I see that different to OTL theres no territorial reform establishing ethnic provinces? Boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.