Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.keiththompsonart.com/

grandmap.jpg

1986, week 27:
Right, the Red Navy is no longer a factor, except for its submarines, which are easy enough to find (so darn noisy). Their bases of operation in Norway have fallen.
Invasion of Austria from Switzerland.
NATO moving to encircle Berlin.
Soviets falling back in an attempt to consolodate their lines.
Sweden is almost relieved.

1986 week 27.PNG

The USA/UK Cold War Map Contest inspired this.

The Britain-France union thingy goes through and it ends up being another party to the Cold War. I didn't like it enough to enter it, especially as really cool-looking maps were starting to appear just as I finished it.

Also, in Antarctica, from left to right: USA, Eurocom, UK, India, China, and the USSR on the far right.

Damn it someone beat me it. At least I can enjoy the map.

:eek: WOW!

The first Voidship was launched in the 1840s. By the late 1860s, most of the planets of the Solar System were colonized (to some extent) by the Great Powers. Tensions were rising, as inevitably border skirmishes happened on the vast arid plains of Mars, in the subterranean mines of Titan and even the ice-gripped stalagmite forests of Pluto.

But then two geniuses - Albert Michelson and Edward Morley - made a breakthrough. Sub-Aether Propulsion Engine (SAPE) they called it and it allowed one to travel faster than light, by utilising the strange properties of the luminiferous aether and surpassing its limitations. The engine did not work too close to planets, but this did not deter Her Majesty Victoria from commissioning a Sub-Aether Launch Terminal (SALT) "Britannia" to be built in the L1 point of the Sun-Earth system. From there, SAPE powered ships (nicknamed simply "Sapes" or sometimes "Sape Voidships") set off to explore the rest of the Galaxy.

And what miraculous things they discovered! Planets burning in the heat of their stars. Planets colder than Pluto roaming through space, abandoned by their long-dead suns. Remnants of civilisations unimaginably old and creatures that are as far from humans on the evolutionary ladder as humans are from God.

Some planets were very hospitable to humanity. The first non-Solar colony world to be established was on Nibiru - a moderate-size planet tidally locked to its red dwarf star. Of course, large parts of the planet were absolutely inhospitable, but a wide rim around the terminator supplied all that humanity needed. The first city, Camelot, was built in 1878 and over the next three decades, settlers from the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, British India and even Japan made home in this new world.

[Map in next post]

Thande

Donor
And here's the map.

Very, very fine. I was going to say it looked tidally locked before I read your preceding post.

Could actually be a paleo-Venus map as well (ie how they used to think Venus might look) - in the 19th century some people thought the planet was basically Earthlike but one hemisphere was burning hot and the other was freezing cold due to its day being almost as long as its year.

Very, very fine. I was going to say it looked tidally locked before I read your preceding post.

Could actually be a paleo-Venus map as well (ie how they used to think Venus might look) - in the 19th century some people thought the planet was basically Earthlike but one hemisphere was burning hot and the other was freezing cold due to its day being almost as long as its year.

I thought they use to think Venus was a giant steamy jungle, like Yoda's planet.

Anyhow, awesome map Lego, as per ususal.

Alright, so I'm currently doing a series of maps of the history of one of the TL's I'm doing, and I figured I'd post this one.

After the First World War/Great War ended in 1920 their was much talk as to what to do, in the end however it was decided that save
for a few areas the Imperial Entente would be allowed to remain more or less territorially intact.

Meanwhile, China has fallen into a bloody Civil War, started by the power vacuum left when the Major Powers retreated to the borders
of their colonies and protectorates, leaving a sizable swath of Eastern and Southern China lawless.
The country has now split into nine main competing factions.

In Russia the discontent over the war has fueled revolutionary thought, however the Imperial Government has been more or less able to
keep anything from coming of it by sending them all to (the Russian Province of) Mongolia.

It's now August of 1925, the height of what will become known as the 'Interwar Period', and only a month before the 'Great Crash'.

VD World 1925.png

Alright, so I'm currently doing a series of maps of the history of one of the TL's I'm doing, and I figured I'd post this one.

After the First World War/Great War ended in 1920 their was much talk as to what to do, in the end however it was decided that save
for a few areas the Imperial Entente would be allowed to remain more or less territorially intact.

Meanwhile, China has fallen into a bloody Civil War, started by the power vacuum left when the Major Powers retreated to the borders
of their colonies and protectorates, leaving a sizable swath of Eastern and Southern China lawless.
The country has now split into nine main competing factions.

In Russia the discontent over the war has fueled revolutionary thought, however the Imperial Government has been more or less able to
keep anything from coming of it by sending them all to (the Russian Province of) Mongolia.

It's now August of 1925, the height of what will become known as the 'Interwar Period', and only a month before the 'Great Crash'.
Um, why would a victorious Central Powers(as I think you're portraying) allow France to regain Alsace-Lorraine?

Um, why would a victorious Central Powers(as I think you're portraying) allow France to regain Alsace-Lorraine?

The PoD is in the 19th century, which has lead to Germany being the leader of the ATL Allies.

I suppose to be clear, it was;

Imperial Entente:
Russia, Austria, Persia & Greece

Vs.

Alliance of Nations:
United States, Britain, Germany, Italy, Ottoman Empire, Japan, France, Hindia and several other minor nations.

Last edited:
The first Voidship was launched in the 1840s. By the late 1860s, most of the planets of the Solar System were colonized (to some extent) by the Great Powers. Tensions were rising, as inevitably border skirmishes happened on the vast arid plains of Mars, in the subterranean mines of Titan and even the ice-gripped stalagmite forests of Pluto.

But then two geniuses - Albert Michelson and Edward Morley - made a breakthrough. Sub-Aether Propulsion Engine (SAPE) they called it and it allowed one to travel faster than light, by utilising the strange properties of the luminiferous aether and surpassing its limitations. The engine did not work too close to planets, but this did not deter Her Majesty Victoria from commissioning a Sub-Aether Launch Terminal (SALT) "Britannia" to be built in the L1 point of the Sun-Earth system. From there, SAPE powered ships (nicknamed simply "Sapes" or sometimes "Sape Voidships") set off to explore the rest of the Galaxy.

And what miraculous things they discovered! Planets burning in the heat of their stars. Planets colder than Pluto roaming through space, abandoned by their long-dead suns. Remnants of civilisations unimaginably old and creatures that are as far from humans on the evolutionary ladder as humans are from God.

Some planets were very hospitable to humanity. The first non-Solar colony world to be established was on Nibiru - a moderate-size planet tidally locked to its red dwarf star. Of course, large parts of the planet were absolutely inhospitable, but a wide rim around the terminator supplied all that humanity needed. The first city, Camelot, was built in 1878 and over the next three decades, settlers from the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, British India and even Japan made home in this new world.

[Map in next post]

And here's the map.

Oh, pretty. Very nicely done.

It is part of a series, the alliances were listed on a previous map, though he has thankfully posted them again for you just above ;)

no it wasn't... i posted one map that was mine, and another that was from someone else.. i got comments on the darwin-technocrat map (?)

but not on my 1670 map

Status
Not open for further replies.