Map Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't the year be 2384? :p
?
I thought Firefox was with Google?
In the face of growing Googlian religious fanaticism, they decide to get out of their alliance while the getting is good.
How come Microsoft doesn't rule the world? And Seattle!
That would be a very monotonous map. Apple is naturally stronger on the west coast and Microsoft has a less dense but wider support base.

Last edited:
Based of a TL I saw online, Canada dominates the british empire, and has a far larger population than OTL. (they're also fascists) Guessed most of the world.
can.png

can.png

Rough draft of a map.
The Vikings have more luck in Vinland but its the peoples who they have beaten and conquered back in Europe (the Danes crushed Wessex) who risk it all in the new land.
Also present is a Friesan kingdom (similarly hard hit by the vikings and always up for adventure) and Tirnia-a land of the free Irish; escaped Norse slaves.

North America in this time line is organised quite like anglo-saxon England.
Its the dark ages of course so though contact is there with the old world no one is too concerned. Its just a far away place where there is land free for the taking- if you can survive the journey. Traders also exist, cotton and tobacco prove popular in Europe and slaves and peasents are always in demand in the Americas.

lands.PNG

Its actually World Alliance of Syndicalist Republics, which pretty much spells it oiut as alliance ;) As for state form, its only a guess, but I would assume syndicalism :p

It's rather rare to see a whole alliance coloured with the same colour on such a map, that's why I asked. And by government type, I meant whether it's a federation, a unitary state or anything else; not political ideology :)

Request/Challenge

Can someone do a map inspired of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series? Modern Warfare 1 takes place in 2011 and MW2 in 2016, so use your imagination.

Russia is in civil war between Loyalists and Ultranationalists, China hasn't been heard from in the game (yet), and a newer, purely anti-American (non-religious) Middle-Eastern coalition.

I can whip a quickie, but I wanna see how the community can make them.

It's rather rare to see a whole alliance coloured with the same colour on such a map, that's why I asked. And by government type, I meant whether it's a federation, a unitary state or anything else; not political ideology :)

Well, it would have been a pain to give them all their own distinctive shade of orange... :eek:

Bruce

Friedebarth

Banned
Rough draft of a map.
The Vikings have more luck in Vinland but its the peoples who they have beaten and conquered back in Europe (the Danes crushed Wessex) who risk it all in the new land.
Also present is a Friesan kingdom (similarly hard hit by the vikings and always up for adventure) and Tirnia-a land of the free Irish; escaped Norse slaves.

North America in this time line is organised quite like anglo-saxon England.
Its the dark ages of course so though contact is there with the old world no one is too concerned. Its just a far away place where there is land free for the taking- if you can survive the journey. Traders also exist, cotton and tobacco prove popular in Europe and slaves and peasents are always in demand in the Americas.

From my basic Icelandic, Old Norse and Proto Germanic skills I can translate:

Green Land = Groenland (yep, oe's the transcription)
Land of the Light = Helluland
Marked Land = Mark(e)land
Land that has been found = Vinland
Land of Tirna = Tirnaland
Land of Ragnar = Ragnarland
Fyords of the Saxons = Feorrsex
Land of the Castles = Faestenland
Pack Ice Land = Aescland
Land of Helga = Halgaland
Land of Cluderick or Cludwig = Cludland
Land of the Crows = Skraelingland
Land of the Clean = Dism(oe)land
Land of Wraecca = Wraeccaland
Measured Land = Vitland

Valdemar II

Banned
From my basic Icelandic, Old Norse and Proto Germanic skills I can translate:

Green Land = Groenland (yep, oe's the transcription)
Land of the Light = Helluland
Marked Land = Mark(e)land
Land that has been found = Vinland
Land of Tirna = Tirnaland
Land of Ragnar = Ragnarland
Fyords of the Saxons = Feorrsex
Land of the Castles = Faestenland
Pack Ice Land = Aescland
Land of Helga = Halgaland
Land of Cluderick or Cludwig = Cludland
Land of the Crows = Skraelingland
Land of the Clean = Dism(oe)land
Land of Wraecca = Wraeccaland
Measured Land = Vitland

Interesting but several is wrong.

Mark indicate border territrium or wood, in this the indicator it is wood, so it would be Woodland. Vinland simply means Wineland (land of Wine), and is a indicater that that Leif found grapes, when he visited. Skraeling means scream-ling and was a condescending term for the natives. Faeste mean rent or service and is a indicator that the people which likely have settled the area has done it in service to some lord.

A map from A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. ITTL, instead of Arhur dying and the Church taking power, Morgan's plans go ahead and the British Republic is created. The remaining elite and the Church flee and establish the Catholic Empire in Central Europe. They quickly install a puppet government in Italy, while the Byzantines decide to work with the Persians out of fear of the British.

The British discover and colonize America, with an Indian super-state being set up with compromise instead of bloodshed. Iberia becomes a battleground for Church and Republic backed armies and nations, with puppets coming left and right.

http://catboy637.deviantart.com/art/Connecticut-Yankee-Map-139726463

Orwell, man, Orwell! Jeez, does anyone read books anymore?! *storms off in a huff*
Just kidding. But it is an Orwellian reference.

Ooooooooooooooooooooh. The significance of the last two digits escaped me, I was not pondering in Orwell mode.

O'Brien works for Google?

"We are at war with Apple. We have laways ben at war with Apple."

Of Course brother, we should also empty the recycle bin of all the traitors to Google.

Week 12 in World War III:
The Bavarian Pocket broke out to France.
Sweden is dug in for the winter.
Genoa is now under siege, and Istanbul is holding out.
Greeks are getting whooped.
Finland is now under a Red Regime.

1985 week 12.PNG

Friedebarth

Banned
Interesting but several is wrong.

Mark indicate border territrium or wood, in this the indicator it is wood, so it would be Woodland. Vinland simply means Wineland (land of Wine), and is a indicater that that Leif found grapes, when he visited. Skraeling means scream-ling and was a condescending term for the natives. Faeste mean rent or service and is a indicator that the people which likely have settled the area has done it in service to some lord.

1. Interesting. As a German (ooh yes, one o'these fellers), I am only used to Mark as "marked", i.e. "bordered". For example the Mark Brandenburg or Markgraf zu Ansbach.

2. That is actually disputed. Someone actually promovated in linguistics by handling this topic in an essay, afaik.

3. Ah, yes. I was used to the base roots "hrop", "hjold", and "eskra" too much for that. Skrae was more like howl or cry for me. Interestingly, I knew that skraelìngi was Icelandic for barbarian. However, seeing that Vikings were somewhat barbarians themselves, I went for Skraeling as a name :D

4. This was the only one (i.e. apart from number 1) where I went with German. "Feste" or "Festung" is a German synonym for Burg, which means Castle. Since faer means as much as stalwart, I went with castles cause it seemed to make more sense. Never even heard of faeste as rent of service though. That's why they say you learn something new every day.

Week 12 in World War III:
The Bavarian Pocket broke out to France.
Sweden is dug in for the winter.
Genoa is now under siege, and Istanbul is holding out.
Greeks are getting whooped.
Finland is now under a Red Regime.

Uh, Sweden is dug in for the winter? We don't get much snow at all here in Sweden, except for the northern regions :D

Last edited:
Here is a redo of my map for the Peoples Republic of North America (1787). Are the new names too corny?
hre.png

hre.png

Status
Not open for further replies.