Map Contest IV: Round II

Map Contest IV: Round II

Reminder use the Discussion Thread for all discussions, questions, etc. Violators will punished accordingly. After this post the only thing that should appear are maps that adhere to this contest. General rules for the contest can also be found in that thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your challenge should you choose to except it is:

To create a divided India of some time between January 1st, 1900 to December 31st, 1950 that has at least six native nations and no more than six colonial territories. Your PoD must be pre-colonial PoD.

You have one week.

Remember ask any questions in the Discussion Thread.

Chief Judge SK

Afraid I might have made the actual map part a bit small :eek: And before you comment, the dots arn't suppost to be in a line.

MCIVR2R30.png

The POD is the Hongxi Emperor doesn't forbid naval travel. China develops into a major Imperial power in the Indies and Indian Ocean. Japan also develops and never goes into seclusion. The Chinese never really take over India, instead preferring to just control coastal trading centers, letting India develop on its own.

500 years after Zheng He's voyage to the Horn of Africa, decolonization has taken hold in most of the world, and a massive rebellion has broken out in the Indies and many European nations are preparing to take advantage of the situation.

Dark Red: Punjab
Orange: Mumbai
Dark Blue: Bharatpur
Peach: Awadh
Grey: Deogarh
Light Purple: Bahmani Sultanate
Red: Vijayanagara Empire
Pink: Mysore
Green: Bengal
Teal: Sikim

Indian Ocean.png

Last edited:
My entry. POD: the Fourth Crusade sails for Egypt instead of Constantinople, which leads to crusades further East into southern India via Yemen.
The Crusader Kingdoms of Ynde and Serendip, along with a few Italian merchant held ports have barely survived six centuries, as their initial gains were whittled down over the years.

Contest_3__Round_2_by_Raven_the_5th.png

Trying for a bit of a different style here, not sure I like how it turned out, but here it is anyway.

india.png

The map is loosely based on a history I developed in a short map series with a PoD of Lithuania becoming an autonomous part of Russian Empire during the Napoleonic times. This is before any major colonies were established in India, so I decided to go with the idea.

The approach I chose is that of a game screesnhot. The game itself... well, I imagine it as something of a Hearts of Iron or Victoria style game with more emphasis on regional scenarios and economical development. A crossbreed of Victoria and Transport Tycoon, if you will.

I am not entirely happy with how this map turned out, but I couldn't think of anything better and it is not too bad, so here it is:

I took liberties with the reference date... nowhere did it say AD/CE...

First, the official entry into the competition:

Attachments

• Roman Deccanus.pdf
    907 KB · Views: 906
and for those who don't have time to open attachments, a smaller scale version... [this was the version before I fixed the date - it should read 1925, and does on the official entry]

Roman Deccanus.jpg

Last edited:
Indus Valley Civilization Survives

Well, the instructions didn't limit how pre-colonial the POD could be...

The POD is somewhere around 2000 BC, where the civilization centered around the twin cities of Harrapa and Mohenjo-Daro fails to vanish. The Harrapan hegemony referred to on the map is actually the fourth incarnation of that civilization.

3280 HC (Harrapan Calender) equates to 1923 AD.

Indus_Civilization_Survives_by_Lordkraken.png

This round was a pain to do; however, I could learn much from Indian medieval history, a topic that I'd never so focused.

The PoD here is a less successful Khosrau II, that after a short and damaging war with the Roman Empire, retreats to its former boundaries. This prevents Islam from spreading through Sassanid and Roman lands. This, however, doesn't block the Arabian populational pressure from erupting somewhere. Most of the Arabian expansion occurs on Eastern Africa, from Abyssinia and Somalia to Zanzibar.

As a side effect, there is no decadence of Buddhism in India by the 7th and 8th centuries. The Asian nomad hordes that would eventually conquer Persia and Northern Hind (India) convert to Buddhism, Manicheism or even Hinduism mixed with original Tengriism. So, as the centuries passes, the Indian Northwest is heavily Buddhist, with large Hindu and Manichean minorities.

TTL India is one of the major seats of world power, competing with the Near East and the Middle East for economic and political dominance over the world.

Well, here is the map, hope you like it :)

indiamapcontestivsmallczb0.jpg

My TL notes:
Kura-Araxes culture maintains its vigor for an extra century, extensive trade with the Andronovo culture leads to adoption of chariots, but is overwhelmed in the Andronovo's 2nd millenium BC migrations. Refugees introduce chariotry to the Harappan Empire.

Countering Andronovon migrations, the Harappans implement chariotry tactics, effectively shunting more of the Indo-Aryans to the west than OTL. These new tactics allow the Harappans to conquer much of north-central India, ultimately extending to Burma.

Harappan trade networks expose their scientific knowledge to the wider world, as well as providing a link for cross-pollination of ideas between Greece and China.

Harappan merchants invent printing press using clay bricks to make letters

Carthaginian influence spreads along the Atlantic coast.

Need to marginalize the Romans somehow.

A few things to add:
Assyrians form lasting empire,
Greeks hold Egypt, Black Sea area
fall of Carthaginians is TTLs Dark Ages Equivalent, Celtic successor states,
Treaty Cities are markets and DMZs, very important, were influential Harappan cities, sacked and rebuilt.

semi-Harappan India.png

My TL notes:
Kura-Araxes culture maintains its vigor for an extra century, extensive trade with the Andronovo culture leads to adoption of chariots, but is overwhelmed in the Andronovo's 2nd millenium BC migrations. Refugees introduce chariotry to the Harappan Empire.

Countering Andronovon migrations, the Harappans implement chariotry tactics, effectively shunting more of the Indo-Aryans to the west than OTL. These new tactics allow the Harappans to conquer much of north-central India, ultimately extending to Burma.

Harappan trade networks expose their scientific knowledge to the wider world, as well as providing a link for cross-pollination of ideas between Greece and China.

Harappan merchants invent printing press using clay bricks to make letters

Carthaginian influence spreads along the Atlantic coast.

Need to marginalize the Romans somehow.

A few things to add:
Assyrians form lasting empire,
Greeks hold Egypt, Black Sea area
fall of Carthaginians is TTLs Dark Ages Equivalent, Celtic successor states,
Treaty Cities are markets and DMZs, very important, were influential Harappan cities, sacked and rebuilt.

Okay Round II is closed!

The judges will be tallying their votes and a winner will be announced as soon as possible. Have a nice day. :)

A big round of applause should go out to all the participants in this round as some really excellent maps on a difficult challenge were produced. I'm amazed at the continued turnout and of course the quality of the maps. Just a reminder keep all congrats to the comments thread (link at the top of this thread in the first post).

But what you've all been waiting for of course is who has won the second round.

Drum roll please.... (played by a one handed mime)

By unanimous decision the winner is...Scarecrow!

Congrats to Scarecrow.

There was a three-way-tie for the runners-up slot. So LordKraken, Ampersand, and Dutchie take a bow for your entries.

A honorable mention go out to Gandavien

A round of applause to our winners and another round to all the participants.

A reminder please keep all comments to the comment/rules thread. Thanks.

The next challenge should be up soon, i.e. the next day or so, and because it is the holidays I'm going to be giving you two weeks to do it. Merry Christmas.

Chief Judge SK