Map Challenge

world%20in%201950.PNG

How did the world end up this way by 1950?

Well, I'd start with a central powers victory in WW1. After that? Beats the hell out of me. A US war with the british, french, and japanese?

Susano

Banned
*cough*wankfest*cough*
:p
Seriously. if the US is that big, it wont take long until they take the rest too

(1) In WW1, either (a) no USA intervention, or (b) something made the Central Powers stronger. The war went on and on into the 1920's until nearly evrybody involved had weakened each other so badly that (x) the USA finally intervened and took over easily, or (y) the nations involved offered to become states of the USA to get access to postwar reconstruction help.

(2) In WW2 the Axis and the Allies both had nukes sooner and more of them, and in much of the war area USA had to take over a nuked wasteland because no effective local native governments could form.

In either case, USA inherits all the collapsed nations' colonies, except that India and Pakistan get separate independences more or less as OTL.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Atlantica seems strange. I don't see how a small coastal sliver of South America can hold all those remote Atlantic islands. Unless it is based underwater, and events seem to be getting ASB-ish:-

Someone discovers nuclear reactors in the 19th century. He goes rogue loner, and then more or less as the fictional Captain Nemo. This spreads to more undersea bases and more nuclear submarines, and he and his successors get strong enough to grab a base on the South America coast given the confusion and weaknesses of the land powers of the time. Finally his knowledge of nukes leaks to the nations on land, and then as (2) above.

Redbeard

Banned
Some Icelander make Thor's hammer Mjoelner work for commoners and easy to produce and use (for Icelanders). In a few years the Icelanders have defeated all opposition, but they realise they are too few to run a global Empire all by themselves, so they subdivide the planet into a manageable number of vassal entities, each with a contract. The method is to be called "Empire building by outsourcing" and is quite successful. The concept include regular tenders were you can win more areas, and the map shows the world as it looked after Africa and Europe was won by the USA contractor (not really USA but General Electric, but the Icelanders think USA sounds more familiar).

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

Anthony Appleyard said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Atlantica seems strange. I don't see how a small coastal sliver of South America can hold all those remote Atlantic islands. Unless it is based underwater, and events seem to be getting ASB-ish:-

Someone discovers nuclear reactors in the 19th century. He goes rogue loner, and then more or less as the fictional Captain Nemo. This spreads to more undersea bases and more nuclear submarines, and he and his successors get strong enough to grab a base on the South America coast given the confusion and weaknesses of the land powers of the time. Finally his knowledge of nukes leaks to the nations on land, and then as (2) above.

I too also had the same thought about a society run by Captain Nemo. What immediately sprang to mind was the old movie "Captain Nemo and the Underwater City".

Don't be silly. Given the size and position of the US, there's no way it would tolerate Atlantica were it anything but a US puppet. My guess is that the entire "nation" is a tool to ensure total US control of the Atlantic.

I would argue that Argentina, the "United South American Republic", and Thailand are in a similar situation. Not valuable enough to be worth annexing and stable enough that annexing them isn't a necessity.

I am working on such an ever-expanding USA. It is actually a lot harder than many people (*cough*Americans*cough*) seem to think. As far as I've ever been able to tell, the POD pretty much has to be by 1783.

Well obviously it isn't anymore. :)

But I think it's fair to guess it didn't originate anywhere near the Equator. And why would Western Europe, the US, and friends all form unified nation? It would be overkill against any possible threat.

It has to be something drastic like a nuclear war. There is no way the USA could take over what it owns on that map any other way.

Edit- I notice it doesn't say United States of America so it could be semi-possible in some ways though the prescence of the USSR throws a spanner into the works.

Maybe it's someone's attempt at a realistic Draka timeline. I mean realistic in that the Draka get completely demolished as soon as they have to fight the USA.

Diamond

Banned
Hey Mikey: you know what's really freaky? Your Populist president in 1892, James Weaver? ...That's my real name - LOL.

Very interesting TL, by the way. I'll read it thoroughly when I can.