Make Canada More Populous Within OTL Borders

Most threads talking about a larger/more populous/more powerful Canada go the route of "Southern Expansion," giving Canada more of the Midwest, Great Plains, and PNW. That requires a much earlier POD though, usually War of 1812 or before.

I'm more curious about the capacity to develop Canada within its existing borders. Not even a specific POD per se, but discussing the actual urban/development/population capacity of Canadian regions (e.g., assuming Canada's population grew to somewhere between 50 and 80 million over the course of the 20th century, where would those people live and what areas would be more developed as a result?).

This is pretty niche and I'm not sure I expect a lot of engagement, but typing it all out definitely helped me a clarify a lot in my own head at least and I'd be happy for feedback/criticism, especially from a plausibility lens.

1. Assuming the most of the new population live in existing cities, increasing urban core density somewhat but mainly expanding those contiguous urban areas outwards (rather than spreading out across rural areas and mildly increasing density country-wide), what urban centers have the most potential to take on more population and what small OTL fairly unimportant urban areas have the capacity and potential to grow into cities?

@TheMann wrote a interesting comment on the awesome thread The Greater North - A world where Canada is a superpower by @Yourdamgrandpa:
The Golden Horseshoe is going to go absolutely nuts, particularly since growth will surely result in the urban development creating one continuous urban area all the way from Buffalo to Hamilton to Toronto. If I'm reading the map right you have a Oshawa of 300,000 or more (!) and a Clarington of 100,000, both of which are rather bigger than OTL. Owing to this and your Ontario having a population of 26.56 million, you'll want Windsor and Detroit to become a Twin Cities-style situation and Ottawa, London-St. Thomas, Kingston, Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge Barrie, Peterborough and Belleville to swell, big time - but even with all of that Greater Toronto is still gonna end the size of New York or Los Angeles (population 8-10 million).

Northern Ontario is stuffed with minerals and has immense hydroelectric power potential - do what Quebec did and take full advantage. This results in a line of communities built around steel mills, smelters, lumber products, minerals and all the goods that come from these, ideally using the belt of communities from Sault Ste. Marie to Mattawa and Deep River via Elliot Lake, Espanola, Sudbury (which would be the anchor of this belt) and North Bay. This adds ~600,000 to the population of Northern Ontario.

I can see a secondary hub of aircraft industry (and a ton of supporting industries) in Manitoba. Winnipeg swells to 2.5 million people or so and becomes an airplane lover's paradise. Owing to its position, Winnipeg is also the ground transportation hub of Canada, with railroads going in all directions in numbers, huge yards, terminals and intermodal facilities and the international airport gains a massive air freight terminal and becomes known as a trans-shipment hub.

Grow Alberta from 3.2 million to more like 9 million people, turning Calgary and Edmonton into cities of 2.5 to 3 million people, Lethbridge into a city of 800,000 to 1 million and grow the areas around it into a new manufacturing/value added area. The oil from [Northwest Territories] comes south to refineries and chemical plants, which then make fuels, plastics and fertilizer and agricultural chemicals in vast amounts. Alberta thus becomes the place where everything related to agriculture gets made and handled - the chemicals, machinery, trucks and equipment are all made in a vast collection of facilities on the east edge of the Rockies, and with this are vast grain elevators, bakeries, breweries, food processing and meat packing plants. This has the additional benefit of adding Alberta to the "regions" of Canada, which makes a lot of political issues disappear pretty quickly.

Although that TL has Canada encompass much of the northern U.S., I think a lot of that could still be applied to a more populous Canada without that territorial expansion.

The Golden Horseshoe
The most obvious place for urbanization is the Southern Ontario Windsor-Toronto corridor. Development tends to go in the path of least resistance, all other things being equal. Southern Ontario has a milder climate than a lot of Canada is is nice flat farmland for the most part -- very easy to develop. OTL Toronto is a metro area of ~6.2 million (2021) and has mainly grown along the shores of Lake Ontario without going very far inland (unlike sprawling Chicago). As TheMann mentioned, the first area to fill-in with a higher population is the undeveloped parts of the Golden Horseshoe along the lakefront -- an unbroken urban area along Lake Ontario from Clarington to St. Catharines (which has itself amalgamated into a contiguous urban area with Niagara Falls and Welland).

That basically doubles the population of Clarington (101,427 in 2021) to 200,000, more than doubles Oshawa (415,311) to ~1 million, triples "Greater Hamilton" (785,184) to ~2 million. St. Catharines-Niagara Falls-Welland (433,604) filling in probably entails them doubling. Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo (575,847) area also probably fills in and amalgamates with Guelph (165,588) in this scenario, and Hamilton probably sprawls out to connect with Brantford (144,162). All those places doubling to achieve that gives Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo-Guelph ~1.5 million people and amalgamated Hamilton-Brantford ~150,000 more.
  • || Toronto Metro 6200
  • Hamilton 800 + 1200
  • St Cat-Niagara 430 + 450
  • Oshawa 415 + 600
  • Brantford 150 + 150 ||
  • Waterloo 575 + 600
  • Guelph 165 + 150
If my rough math is right that brings TTL "Greater Toronto" (incl. parts of Clarington, Oshawa, Hamilton, Brantford, and St. Catharines-Niagara Falls-Welland) from ~8 million (what it would be OTL) to ~10.4 million, a million more than Chicago.

That's all from filling in space between areas rather than increasing population in Toronto proper -- if this also entails a density increase I'd guess conservatively that pushes the total to ~11 million. So almost 3 million more people in the inner "core" Golden Horseshoe and another 750k in nearby Waterloo.

Barrie (212,856), Peterborough (128,624), Belleville (111,184), and Kingston (172,546) are all likely to grow significantly given the much larger metropolis they'll be supporting in this scenario. The "extended" Golden Horseshoe could easily go from ~10 million to ~15 million.

I don't know how plausible it is that Toronto ends up sprawling into what is OTL the southern portions of the Ontario Greenbelt to create a contiguous urban area/amalgamate with Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo-Guelph. If that occurred there looks to at least be enough space for the OTL Toronto Metro population itself to double, creating an urban area equivalent in population to Greater Los Angeles or New York-Newark-Jersey City. That does seem a bit far fetched for Canada.

2. How many people could the Golden Horseshoe realistically support if "fully" developed?

Southern Ontario
What would it take to make Detroit-Windsor a true "twin cities" situation rather than Windsor (422,630) being a glorified suburb? Windsor definitely has the space to be a lot bigger but it would need an economic reason to grow or else people will be drawn to larger centers of gravity/opportunity in mega-Greater Toronto. Maybe an expanded Canadian auto industry?

London-St. Thomas with 543,551 & 42,840 doubling but generally keeping the same density would turn it into a single contiguous urban area of ~1.2 million. There's space for those additional 600,000 and frankly many more than that via both density and outward expansion into surrounding farmland, but again there needs to be an economic impetus for growth there. Sarnia (97,592) and the Chatham-Kent region similarly have space to grow if given a reason.

Northern Ontario
TheMann suggested a line of communities "built around steel mills, smelters, lumber products, minerals and all associated goods" stretching from Sault Ste. Marie to Ottawa (incl. Elliot Lake, Espanola, Sudbury, North Bay, Mattawa, Deep River, and Petawawa-Pembroke) with Sudbury as its anchor, adding "~600,000 to the population of Northern Ontario." This region would also fully exploit its hydropower potential like OTL Quebec, and combined with nuclear plants, create a lot of wealth by selling power to the Golden Horseshoe and Americans further south. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Ottawa (1,488,307 in 2021) is also definitely bigger in this scenario, with at least 2 million residents. That adds ~1.2 million people in the corridor between Lake Huron and Ottawa. Thunder Bay is also definitely going to be bigger.

That means conservatively Ontario's 2021 population grows from ~14.2 million to 21.5 million.

3. Are there any other regions of Northern Ontario that would be ripe for expansion/development/industrialization if there were more people to go around in 20th century Canada?

Quebec & the Maritimes

I'm sure the communities along the Saint Lawrence have capacity to grow, especially if Montreal, Sorel-Tracy, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec City, Halifax, and Saint John had maintained and expanded their shipbuilding industry and ports. Quebec and the Maritimes seem pretty densely populated and developed as is though, unsure how much more room there is for easy large-scale expansion.

4. Does anyone who knows more about Quebec and the Maritimes want to weigh in?

The Prairies
TheMann has Winnipeg (834,678 in 2021) swelling to ~2.5 million as a major transportation hub and secondary area for the west coast aerospace industry. I'm sure Regina (249,217) and Saskatoon (317,480) could grow some as well, although I'm not sure I see these becoming major cities.

That's ~2.2 million additional people in the Prairies.

Alberta
TheMann suggested turning Alberta into a far more developed and populated region, increasing the size of Calgary (1,481,806) and Edmonton (1,418,118) to 2.5-3 million, Lethbridge (123,847) to 800,000-1 million, and growing the surrounding satellite towns (Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Brooks...etc.) to support the larger urban centers. Oil extracted from a more exploited NW Territories comes south to Albertan refineries and chemical plants. The province is also a hub for the agricultural industry on the eastern edge of the Rockies, manufacturing "the chemicals, machinery, trucks, and equipment" required to sustain the ag sector and hosting the "vast grain elevators, bakeries, breweries, food processing and meat packing plants...etc." needed to create finished products.

That already adds ~4 million people to Alberta's population, bringing it from 4.3 million (2021) to 8.3 million.

British Columbia & Alaska
I think part of this timeline includes Alaska being ceded to Britain as part of the Crimean War settlement in 1856 and joining Canada as a territory upon confederation. Maybe it becomes a province, maybe not, but its population is likely less than its OTL U.S. state counterpart (maybe 400-600,000 people). That said, Canadian Alaska allows Vancouver to benefit from the Klondike goldrush like OTL Seattle and probably makes Canada a bit wealthier and more populous as a whole. Vancouver gets OTL Seattle's goldrush boost and ITTL Vancouver Metro (2.6 million in 2021) has 3.6 million people. Van definitely has space to expand though, so I'd bump that up to ~4.5 million and expand the urban areas stretching to Abbotsford-Mission (195,726) and Chilliwack (113,767), increasing those populations by ~600,000.

Kamloops (114,142), Kelowna (222,162), Prince George (89,490), and Prince Rupert (13,442) all definitely have potential to significantly expand, especially with better infrastructure connecting north and south BC. The former two can double and the latter two can become a proper port and northern capital with the right development -- attracting ~500,000 more residents to northern BC. I don't see Victoria (397,237) growing into a massive metropolis but another 200,000 people doesn't seem implausible.

That's 4.1 million more people in the Pacific region and brings British Columbia's population from 5 million to ~8.6 million.

Overall
Without really touching Quebec or the Maritimes, the above would increase Canada's overall 2021 population by 17.6 million, from 37 million to 54.6 million (Ontario would makeup 40% of that). Honestly that's less than I hoped for as I was aiming for 60 million at least. Are there areas I considered that could be plausibly further expanded, or other areas I didn't cover that have potential to expand?

Last edited:
Most threads talking about a larger/more populous/more powerful Canada go the route of "Southern Expansion," giving Canada more of the Midwest, Great Plains, and PNW. That requires a much earlier POD though, usually War of 1812 or before.

I'm more curious about the capacity to develop Canada within its existing borders. Not even a specific POD per se, but discussing the actual urban/development/population capacity of Canadian regions (e.g., assuming Canada's population grew to somewhere between 50 and 80 million over the course of the 20th century, where would those people live and what areas would be more developed as a result?).

This is pretty niche and I'm not sure I expect a lot of engagement, but typing it all out definitely helped me a clarify a lot in my own head at least and I'd be happy for feedback/criticism, especially from a plausibility lens.

1. Assuming the most of the new population live in existing cities, increasing urban core density somewhat but mainly expanding those contiguous urban areas outwards (rather than spreading out across rural areas and mildly increasing density country-wide), what urban centers have the most potential to take on more population and what small OTL fairly unimportant urban areas have the capacity and potential to grow into cities?

@TheMann wrote a interesting comment on the awesome thread The Greater North - A world where Canada is a superpower by @Yourdamgrandpa:

Although that TL has Canada encompass much of the northern U.S., I think a lot of that could still be applied to a more populous Canada without that territorial expansion.

The Golden Horseshoe
The most obvious place for urbanization is the Southern Ontario Windsor-Toronto corridor. Development tends to go in the path of least resistance, all other things being equal. Southern Ontario has a milder climate than a lot of Canada is is nice flat farmland for the most part -- very easy to develop. OTL Toronto is a metro area of ~6.2 million (2021) and has mainly grown along the shores of Lake Ontario without going very far inland (unlike sprawling Chicago). As TheMann mentioned, the first area to fill-in with a higher population is the undeveloped parts of the Golden Horseshoe along the lakefront -- an unbroken urban area along Lake Ontario from Clarington to St. Catharines (which has itself amalgamated into a contiguous urban area with Niagara Falls and Welland).

That basically doubles the population of Clarington (101,427 in 2021) to 200,000, more than doubles Oshawa (415,311) to ~1 million, triples "Greater Hamilton" (785,184) to ~2 million. St. Catharines-Niagara Falls-Welland (433,604) filling in probably entails them doubling. Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo (575,847) area also probably fills in and amalgamates with Guelph (165,588) in this scenario, and Hamilton probably sprawls out to connect with Brantford (144,162). All those places doubling to achieve that gives Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo-Guelph ~1.5 million people and amalgamated Hamilton-Brantford ~150,000 more.
  • || Toronto Metro 6200
  • Hamilton 800 + 1200
  • St Cat-Niagara 430 + 450
  • Oshawa 415 + 600
  • Brantford 150 + 150 ||
  • Waterloo 575 + 600
  • Guelph 165 + 150
If my rough math is right that brings TTL "Greater Toronto" (incl. parts of Clarington, Oshawa, Hamilton, Brantford, and St. Catharines-Niagara Falls-Welland) from ~8 million (what it would be OTL) to ~10.4 million, a million more than Chicago.

That's all from filling in space between areas rather than increasing population in Toronto proper -- if this also entails a density increase I'd guess conservatively that pushes the total to ~11 million. So almost 3 million more people in the inner "core" Golden Horseshoe and another 750k in nearby Waterloo.

Barrie (212,856), Peterborough (128,624), Belleville (111,184), and Kingston (172,546) are all likely to grow significantly given the much larger metropolis they'll be supporting in this scenario. The "extended" Golden Horseshoe could easily go from ~10 million to ~15 million.

I don't know how plausible it is that Toronto ends up sprawling into what is OTL the southern portions of the Ontario Greenbelt to create a contiguous urban area/amalgamate with Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo-Guelph. If that occurred there looks to at least be enough space for the OTL Toronto Metro population itself to double, creating an urban area equivalent in population to Greater Los Angeles or New York-Newark-Jersey City. That does seem a bit far fetched for Canada.

2. How many people could the Golden Horseshoe realistically support if "fully" developed?

Southern Ontario
What would it take to make Detroit-Windsor a true "twin cities" situation rather than Windsor (422,630) being a glorified suburb? Windsor definitely has the space to be a lot bigger but it would need an economic reason to grow or else people will be drawn to larger centers of gravity/opportunity in mega-Greater Toronto. Maybe an expanded Canadian auto industry?

London-St. Thomas with 543,551 & 42,840 doubling but generally keeping the same density would turn it into a single contiguous urban area of ~1.2 million. There's space for those additional 600,000 and frankly many more than that via both density and outward expansion into surrounding farmland, but again there needs to be an economic impetus for growth there. Sarnia (97,592) and the Chatham-Kent region similarly have space to grow if given a reason.

Northern Ontario
TheMann suggested a line of communities "built around steel mills, smelters, lumber products, minerals and all associated goods" stretching from Sault Ste. Marie to Ottawa (incl. Elliot Lake, Espanola, Sudbury, North Bay, Mattawa, Deep River, and Petawawa-Pembroke) with Sudbury as its anchor, adding "~600,000 to the population of Northern Ontario." This region would also fully exploit its hydropower potential like OTL Quebec, and combined with nuclear plants, create a lot of wealth by selling power to the Golden Horseshoe and Americans further south. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Ottawa (1,488,307 in 2021) is also definitely bigger in this scenario, with at least 2 million residents. That adds ~1.2 million people in the corridor between Lake Huron and Ottawa. Thunder Bay is also definitely going to be bigger.

That means conservatively Ontario's 2021 population grows from ~14.2 million to 21.5 million.

3. Are there any other regions of Northern Ontario that would be ripe for expansion/development/industrialization if there were more people to go around in 20th century Canada?

Quebec & the Maritimes

I'm sure the communities along the Saint Lawrence have capacity to grow, especially if Montreal, Sorel-Tracy, Trois-Rivieres, Quebec City, Halifax, and Saint John had maintained and expanded their shipbuilding industry and ports. Quebec and the Maritimes seem pretty densely populated and developed as is though, unsure how much more room there is for easy large-scale expansion.

4. Does anyone who knows more about Quebec and the Maritimes want to weigh in?

The Prairies
TheMann has Winnipeg (834,678 in 2021) swelling to ~2.5 million as a major transportation hub and secondary area for the west coast aerospace industry. I'm sure Regina (249,217) and Saskatoon (317,480) could grow some as well, although I'm not sure I see these becoming major cities.

That's ~2.2 million additional people in the Prairies.

Alberta
TheMann suggested turning Alberta into a far more developed and populated region, increasing the size of Calgary (1,481,806) and Edmonton (1,418,118) to 2.5-3 million, Lethbridge (123,847) to 800,000-1 million, and growing the surrounding satellite towns (Red Deer, Medicine Hat, Brooks...etc.) to support the larger urban centers. Oil extracted from a more exploited NW Territories comes south to Albertan refineries and chemical plants. The province is also a hub for the agricultural industry on the eastern edge of the Rockies, manufacturing "the chemicals, machinery, trucks, and equipment" required to sustain the ag sector and hosting the "vast grain elevators, bakeries, breweries, food processing and meat packing plants...etc." needed to create finished products.

That already adds ~4 million people to Alberta's population, bringing it from 4.3 million (2021) to 8.3 million.

British Columbia & Alaska
I think part of this timeline includes Alaska being ceded to Britain as part of the Crimean War settlement in 1856 and joining Canada as a territory upon confederation. Maybe it becomes a province, maybe not, but its population is likely less than its OTL U.S. state counterpart (maybe 400-600,000 people). That said, Canadian Alaska allows Vancouver to benefit from the Klondike goldrush like OTL Seattle and probably makes Canada a bit wealthier and more populous as a whole. Vancouver gets OTL Seattle's goldrush boost and ITTL Vancouver Metro (2.6 million in 2021) has 3.6 million people. Van definitely has space to expand though, so I'd bump that up to ~4.5 million and expand the urban areas stretching to Abbotsford-Mission (195,726) and Chilliwack (113,767), increasing those populations by ~600,000.

Kamloops (114,142), Kelowna (222,162), Prince George (89,490), and Prince Rupert (13,442) all definitely have potential to significantly expand, especially with better infrastructure connecting north and south BC. The former two can double and the latter two can become a proper port and northern capital with the right development -- attracting ~500,000 more residents to northern BC. I don't see Victoria (397,237) growing into a massive metropolis but another 200,000 people doesn't seem implausible.

That's 4.1 million more people in the Pacific region and brings British Columbia's population from 5 million to ~8.6 million.

Overall
Without really touching Quebec or the Maritimes, the above would increase Canada's overall 2021 population by 17.6 million, from 37 million to 54.6 million (Ontario would makeup 40% of that). Honestly that's less than I hoped for as I was aiming for 60 million at least. Are there areas I considered that could be plausibly further expanded, or other areas I didn't cover that have potential to expand?
Why?

Industrial revolution causes a more intense global warming, with northern parts of Canada becoming more habitable.

Because I find it interesting? Which is reason enough, but beyond that:
  1. There are a number of "Super Canada" TLs starting at various PODs and I think discussion here would be useful context for those and/or any future TLs that involve larger Canadas.
  2. Any "reclaim the birthright" TLs about the former-Empire trying to retake the Home Isles after a communist or fascist revolution requires a stronger Canada to be anything close to plausible, and I'd like to explore how to achieve that.
Anyway, very constructive comment, cheers.

Industrial revolution causes a more intense global warming, with northern parts of Canada becoming more habitable.

Yes opening up the northern areas to agriculture and settlement would definitely increase Canada's population capacity, but given there's still plenty of space down south you might find it hard to convince people to choose the Tundra rather than Southern Ontario. If we're going to settled Arctic Circle route though, what areas of the far north have the potential to become significant urban/economic centers?

Last edited:
Because I find it interesting? Which is reason enough, but beyond that:
  1. There are a number of "Super Canada" TLs starting at various PODs and I think discussion here would be useful context for those and/or any future TLs that involve larger Canadas.
  2. Any "reclaim the birthright" TLs about the former-Empire trying to retake the Home Isles after a communist or fascist revolution requires a stronger Canada to be anything close to plausible, and I'd like to explore how to achieve that.
Anyway, very constructive comment, cheers.

Yes opening up the northern areas to agriculture and settlement would definitely increase Canada's population capacity, but given there's still plenty of space down south you might find it hard to convince people to choose the Tundra rather than Southern Ontario. If we're going to settled Arctic Circle route though, what areas of the far north have the potential to become significant urban/economic centers?
Thanks for the explaination. I always thought that Canada had an ideal population size, which allowed for sustainable large agricultural exports. A large part of the US plains states look to run out of water due to depleting aquifiers.

California exports water via its agricultural products.

Disposing of nuclear waste can become a major headache. Hydropowers a better solution.

Last edited:
For most of the 19th century into the early 1900s, I believe Canada had more emigrants than immigrants. Something like a million French Canadians alone migrated to mostly New England. Finding a way to keep those people from leaving would be crucial. The larger size and economy of the US did and still does, to some extent, serve as a magnet for Canadians seeking jobs. Perhaps the government engaging in a much bigger/radical job creation program at the turn of the century could have helped.

For most of the 19th century into the early 1900s, I believe Canada had more emigrants than immigrants. Something like a million French Canadians alone migrated to mostly New England. Finding a way to keep those people from leaving would be crucial. The larger size and economy of the US did and still does, to some extent, serve as a magnet for Canadians seeking jobs. Perhaps the government engaging in a much bigger/radical job creation program at the turn of the century could have helped.
Perhaps they wanted the French Canadians to emigrate.

There's lots and lots of space in Southern Ontario beyond the Golden Horseshoe, even on prime land on the shores of the Great Lakes. There's not a single city on the coast of Lake Erie, ditto Bruce and Huron Counties on the coast of Lake Huron. Even on Lake Ontario, between Oshawa and Kingston the biggest city is Belleville with a mere 50k people. There are also some areas that could probably be built up to better compete with Toronto so the Province doesn't get King-effect'd so hard.

In terms of potential expansion:
-Port Stanley could be developed as the primary port and commuter exurb of London (there was a passenger rail between the two at one point)
-opening "the Queen's Bush" (Bruce and the adjacent counties) to settlement sooner (IIRC the Prairies were opened first) should allow for much denser population there as it is prime farmland with good harbours and good climate.
-Belleville could be bigger.
-Deseronto could possibly be Peterborough size if the Rathbun company didn't implode as it did.
-the Waterloo-Guelph-Cambridge triangle could be a potent metro-region with better infrastructure and perhaps another city/large town to "fill in the triangle".
-dito the St. Catherines-Welland-Niagara triangle.

Yeah, loads of further growth potential even in the most "full" part of Canada. And the same goes for the "settled" portions of the other provinces, there's still loads of highly habitable space in the Maritimes, along the banks of the St. Lawrence, on Vancouver Island, and all across the Prairies.

Last edited:
If I may add on to my own comment on this, there is a vast amount that could be done in other areas of Canada, though much of it really is related to economics.

There have been many plans over the course of history to make Canada much bigger economically and in terms of population, with the most recent (and fairly well fleshed out) one being the Mid-Canada Corridor. Much could be done there, though I'm not entirely sure about the reasons for development make a lot of sense, though they are possible. The Thunder Bay and Timmins hubs are entirely possible if you have the economics to do so - these two are very much along the lines of what I mentioned for Northern Ontario. Building the Georgian Bay Ship Canal would make a BIG impact on that front, particularly if you can make the heavy industry prosper in the region, as it would allow North Bay to become a major inland port. The Labrador City idea makes a lot of sense as well owing to the massive iron ore reserves of the Labrador Trough, and if you really wanted to make it work perfectly you extend the railroads up the north side of the Gulf of St. Lawrence from Quebec City to Port Cartier and Sept-Iles, and keeping the National Transcontinental Railway route operating and then going northwest from it to Saguenay and the trough, and build the proposals to extend rail lines from Labrador City and Schefferville to Kuujjuaq, which would allow rail ferries or ro-ro ferry services to Baffin Island and the communities of northern Quebec. If the Labrador Trough means a whole bunch of mines and industrial operations (and the hydroelectric dams of the region make this quite possible), the possibility of western Labrador having a population between Schefferville, Labrador City, Goose Bay, Wabush and others in the region of 200,000 is plausible. Tricky, but plausible, and with hydropower adequately developed and roads and railroads being built, quite a spectacular sight - and building the railroads and highways to Kuujjuaq makes the likelihood of many more people across northern Quebec, as well as making life much cheaper and easier for residents of Baffin Island, both for the capital of Iqaluit (pop: 7,500) and the more isolated communities along the water, as well as those in more farther-out sections of Labrador.

Whitehorse also makes sense as a potential hub, as would Uranium City and the northern side of Lake Athabaska, though getting roads or railroads there would be a monumental (but possible from an engineering perspective) challenge. The latter makes the most sense if nuclear power really takes off in Canada and abroad, raising the prices paid for uranium to such a degree that the mines on the north side of Lake Athabaska remain economically viable, while the former would be best served by extensions either of the British Columbia Railway (which planned out and graded a line to Dease Lake) or the Northern Alberta Railways to Whitehorse, along with making the White Pass and Yukon Route railroad a much larger and more capable system, as its narrow-gauge system is incompatible with other forms of rail transport. Make Whitehorse have enough industry to sustain a larger population and you'll see the infrastructure improvements needed, and when I did my TLs I had CNR and BCR build to Whitehorse on their way to Fairbanks, Alaska, and the Alaska Railroad, this line becoming a critical supply route for Alaska and the US military presence there - its much quicker to ship goods from east of the Rockies to Alaska by sending it through the many connections between American and Canadian railways and then up to Edmonton, then along the railroad line to Alaska, while traffic from Washington, Oregon and California goes to Vancouver and then up the BCR first to Prince George and then to Whitehorse and the main line to Alaska. Weather makes this route difficult to say the least, but if lines can be built in Arctic regions - and many have been - then I see this as a challenging but doable task.

Making Thunder Bay into a much bigger city could get a major boost by simply making the St. Lawrence Seaway big enough to handle Panamax vessels, rebuilding part the Oswego and Erie Canals to allow ocean-going vessels to access Lake Ontario via the Hudson River, building the Georgian Bay Ship Canal or any combination of the three. Having large enough vessels be able to make their way to Thunder Bay and increasing the sale of Canadian agricultural products (which come more from Western Canada) to Europe could make a major impact. The terminals of Thunder Bay took a wallop with the North American Free Trade agreement's shifting of heavy grain traffic to railroads south of the border, but if big enough vessels can make it to Thunder Bay, particularly if you build the Georgian Bay Ship Canal (which would cut ~600 km off of a trip to Thunder Bay from the Atlantic Ocean) and make the Great Lakes more easily accessed from the ocean. This causes all kinds of environmental issues of course, but if you want to make Thunder Bay grow like a weed, this will help. Maintaining the National Transcontinental and the railroad routes along the Ottawa River (which were closed in the 1990s - today, all CN and CPKC freight trains going to Montreal or Atlantic Canada must pass through Toronto to do so) would help with this as well.

Montreal could be made much bigger quite easily with a far enough back POD as well. The city mostly covers the island of Montreal, but its metro region reaches out to Sainte-Eustache, Sainte-Therese and Blaineville north of the city (technically its commuter trains go out to Saint-Jerome), out to Hudson and Vandreuil (which are on the west side of the Ottawa River) and east to Repentigny as well as the south shore regions of Longueuil, Saint-Hubert, Brossard and the native reservation at Kahnawake. There is TONS of room to grow here provided you have the infrastructure to do so, but history worked against Montreal here - the Quebec independence movements of the 1960s and 1970s caused a LOT of Canada's business elite to bail on Montreal in favor of Toronto (it's not coincidence that Toronto's skyline blew up as much as it did starting in the mid-1960s - this is a lot of why) and contributed to Toronto's growth. A sizable portion of what Montreal lost to Toronto was earned back in the form of a new French-speaking business class, but not nearly as much as what was lost. Kneecapping the independence movement would change that, but I'd take a different approach - by the time of Confederation many of Canada's elites had already given up on forcing Quebecers to becoming like English Canadians, and Canada's relationships with the First Nations could have been enormously different. Make those happen, swell the French Canadian and Native Canadian populations and make Montreal their hub for business and culture and you can make back all of what they will one day lose to Toronto. At that point, if the English-background elites go to Toronto, fine, replace them with the incoming Quebecois and Native Canadians. Montreal has the room to be a city of 8 million or more if the infrastructure exists, and if you make Canada big enough for this to happen having a direct and fast connection to Ottawa (even with 1930s train technology, its entirely possible to make trips from Montreal to Ottawa be done in two hours or less, perhaps even 90 minutes, and Toronto be accessible in 3.5 hours or less) could be enormously to Montreal's benefit.

Overall result:
- Montreal grows from 4,291,732 (it's metro population, the city itself is 1,762,949) to, let's say, 8.3 million (+4,000,000)
- Labrador City-Wabush-Schefferville grows from 9,620 (OTL) to 200,000. This requires a major improvement to the economics of the region but if Canada has built hydropower in abundance here it would make sense to have heavy industry here, particularly steel making and products made from that steel. (+190,000)
- Whitehorse depends on how big you expand its economy, as land is not an issue here. OTL's population is 31,913, but I can see a major transport center and center for several industries (mining, lumber and paper products, mining refining) of Whitehorse having a population of 250,000. (+220,000)
- Thunder Bay (OTL 2021: 123,258) could grow as far as the shipping industries take you. It's entirely possible here for this place to be a shipbuilding center as well as a transport one, and with the connections it has I think an upper end of ~400,000 there is entirely reasonable. (+275,000).

This help? 🙂

Last edited:
It's a catch 22. The National Policy caused a lot of that emigration by passing on the short term growth that could be gained through free trade with the US, but in doing so laid the foundation for industrialization (the basis for Canada's 20th century prosperity) in effect making it the *biggest* job creation program. The issue is that until the wheat boom and corresponding industrial surge, the jobs created simply didn't pay as much as equivalent work in the USA.

Avoiding that situation probably requires a POD in the early 1800s or even the 1790s to make Canada (and the preceding colonies) better keep pace with the development of adjacent states.

There's lots and lots of space in Southern Ontario beyond the Golden Horseshoe, even on prime land on the shores of the Great Lakes. There's not a single city on the coast of Lake Erie, ditto Bruce and Huron Counties on the coast of Lake Huron. Even on Lake Ontario, between Oshawa and Kingston the biggest city is Belleville with a mere 50k people. There are also some areas that could probably be built up to better compete with Toronto so the Province doesn't get King-effect'd so hard.

-Port Colborne could be developed as the primary port and commuter exurb of London (there was a passenger rail between the two at one point)
You're thinking of Port Stanley. Port Colborne is south of Hamilton. 🙂 But your point stands, and I agree about the London and Port Stanley Railway. I think its a shame that never became GO Transit's London division. A much bigger city of London would probably get that done.
-opening "the Queen's Bush" (Bruce and the adjacent counties) to settlement sooner (IIRC the Prairies were opened first) should allow for much denser population there as it is prime farmland with good harbours and good climate.
-Deseronto could possibly be Peterborough size if the Rathbun company didn't implode as it did.
-the Waterloo-Guelph-Cambridge triangle could be a potent metro-region with better infrastructure and perhaps another city/large town to "fill in the triangle".
I agree on all of these, though the Bruce region is tricky terrain to build on whereas the Prairies really aren't. (Areas further south are good farmland, but the Peninsula isn't, really - too rocky.) That said, I agree on the possibility that places like Collingwood, Owen Sound, Southampton, Goderich and the like could be bigger than now.

Special note on Belleville-Kingston and the adjacent Prince Edward County - there is a LOT of potential here. The farmland is good, its directly on top of transport links between Toronto and both Montreal and Ottawa, lumber resources are plentiful and the Bay of Quinte could be developed into a very good harbour if you felt the need.
Yeah, loads of further growth potential even in the most "full" part of Canada. And the same goes for the "settled" portions of the other provinces, there's still loads of highly habitable space in the Maritimes, along the banks of the St. Lawrence, on Vancouver Island, and all across the Prairies.
I agree with this as well.

It's a catch 22. The National Policy caused a lot of that emigration by passing on the short term growth that could be gained through free trade with the US, but in doing so laid the foundation for industrialization (the basis for Canada's 20th century prosperity) in effect making it the *biggest* job creation program. The issue is that until the wheat boom and corresponding industrial surge, the jobs created simply didn't pay as much as equivalent work in the USA.

Avoiding that situation probably requires a POD in the early 1800s or even the 1790s to make Canada (and the preceding colonies) better keep pace with the development of adjacent states.
Yes, government policy or not it's not going to be easy to compete as a job market with a neighbor 10x the population size.

I actually started a thread similar to this on the pre-1900's section regarding a higher population of New France.

Although pre-1900, would this help?

If I may add on to my own comment on this, there is a vast amount that could be done in other areas of Canada, though much of it really is related to economics.

SNIP

This help? 🙂
Yes! :) That was exactly what I was hoping for from this thread, thank you so much for weighing in!! The Georgian Bay Canal seems like it would be a game-changer for Northern Ontario. I'm much less familiar with the far north regions but those proposals all seem plausible to me at face value.

I'm glad to see some of the stuff from @Bureaucromancer's awesome Unbuilt Canada thread be incorporated/considered.

What would a reasonable expansion target for "Belleville-Kingston and the adjacent Prince Edward County" area be in your mind?

Last edited:

-Port Stanley could be developed as the primary port and commuter exurb of London (there was a passenger rail between the two at one point)

Thanks for the reply! This is great feedback. And I'd never heard of Deseronto or the Rathbun Company, I wonder if it could have turned into a shipbuilding town/lumber area with better forestry management and a bailout during the Depression.

Yes! :) That was exactly what I was hoping for from this thread, thank you so much for weighing in!! The Georgian Bay Canal seems like it would be a game-changer for Northern Ontario. I'm much less familiar with the far north regions but those proposals all seem plausible to me at face value.
Glad to help. After all, I've been Canuckwanking at various points for fifteen plus years, I would say I'm fairly good at it. 🙂

If you were to try to accomplish this, I'd start with as far back a POD as possible, at least pre-1812. During that conflict the Brits and their militias get their butts saved by the Native tribes on multiple occasions, which has the effect of them earning a grudging (at first) respect from the colonial administrators and downright hatred from the Americans. This leads to loud pushes to run the Iroquois in particular out of their homes in New York and the upper Midwest, creating a vast population of them in Ontario and Quebec. By the middle of the 19th Century the Americans' actions gave caused a LOT of natives to go northward, and their communities become a part of the world of Canada. Aiming to counteract this, the colonial authorities go gung-ho on the building of better transportation infrastructure in Upper and Lower Canada, starting with the first iterations of the Lachine and Welland Canals and the first canals along the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence River. These are followed rapidly by railroads, first starting in the Maritimes but quickly spreading into the rest of Canada.

The Americans' undisguised demands for cultural assimilation by newcomers leads to the French Canadians working to make Quebec their own in social, legal and economic terms, to hell with what the English have to say about it. This effort combines with the Native populations to force the Colonial administrators into much more conciliatory and accommodating tones, recognizing the fact that not doing so could make the colonies almost ungovernable. By the 1850s, this had led to demands for Responsible Government, which happens more or less as OTL.

In the years that follow, though, much changes. Quebec openly encourages French-speaking arrivals and the make-our-place-within-Canada thinking of the Iroquois rapidly spreads. The Anishinaabe are directly responsible for pinpointing the Sudbury nickel deposit, and while the English follow the railroads the Natives get there first, but are happy to help trailblaze for the Whites. The Red River Rebellion is thus butterflied as the Metis are able to get respect from the Canadian government without causing a ruckus, and the Canadian Pacific Railway is completed in 1881.

Montreal's massive influx of both French and Native elites leads to some unease among the diehard Orange Order types, who heavily shift a lot of their work west to Kingston and Toronto, and though their domination of both cities is relatively short-lived it gets both off to a flying start, leaving them way ahead of OTL. The first Canadian steel mills appear in Hamilton and Sudbury in the early 1870s, and the Canadian Pacific Railway spawns several competitors, notably the Canadian Northern and Grand Trunk Pacific, the latter taking advantage of the government-built and owned National Transcontinental line. Despite the competition and government connections, the CPR, GTPR (ultimately just becoming the Grand Trunk in 1911) and CNoR soon don't have the best reputations. The Grand Trunk's machinations in particular piss off Canadian business and the public alike to no end, leading to the Georgian Bay Ship Canal being built as an alternative.

To say that project is huge is an understatement and a half, but upon its completion in 1912 it makes ocean shipping to Europe from Canada a whole lot easier. Built to.sinilar sizes as the almost-complete Panama Canal, it's hailed as a wonder of engineering at its completion, though it's cost surpasses even the sums spent on the CPR. Despite this, the canal is a massive success, and the Welland Canal is re-built to a similar size, those locks delayed by WWI but opening in 1921.

Hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls is a revelation to Canada, and during WWI grandiose plans are drawn up to expand the hydroelectric power potential of northern Ontario and Quebec as well as that of British Columbia and Manitoba - most of these would be impractical until the development of HVDC power transmission in the 1940s, but the James Bay, Ontario North, Nelson River and Churchill Falls hydroelectric projects of the 1950s are the direct result. Late in the 1910s iron ore is discovered in unimaginably-big quantities in Labrador and Northern Quebec, leading to a mining rush there. This, in turn, leads the Canadian government to assume control over the bankrupt Grand Trunk railroad, it becoming Canadian National Railways in 1922. The CNoR is offered inclusion into CNR but declines, believing - rightly as it turned out - that they could make it on their own.
I'm glad to see some of the stuff from @Bureaucromancer's awesome Unbuilt Canada thread be incorporated/considered.
There is a LOT that could be used there, and I would.
What would a reasonable expansion target for "Belleville-Kingston and the adjacent Prince Edward County" area be in your mind?
Kingston could easily be Canada's education city owing to the presence of Queens University and the Royal Military College of Canada as well as St. Lawrence and Loyalist Colleges. I'd say it's upper limit is probably around 650,000 before room starts becoming an issue (OTL: 172,546). Transportation is a non-issue here but you'll need to make good economic reasons to go much further than that.

Belleville is a bit of a tricker one though being the hub of the Prince Edward County and Hastings/Bay of Quinte region gives advantages. The comment about the Rathbun company and Desoronto (which is located between Belleville and Kingston) is a good one as well though keeping many of the businesses of the Rathbun company prospering isn't easy and you'll need to keep the rail line through town alive to give it much hope. Belleville's limit I'd say is 200,000 to 250,000, Desoronto maybe half that much. Prince Edward County is some of the best places in Ontario for fruit agriculture and in the last two decades has become full of wineries, so it makes sense to get this industry going sooner rather than later.

Glad to help. After all, I've been Canuckwanking at various points for fifteen plus years, I would say I'm fairly good at it. 🙂

If you were to try to accomplish this, I'd start with as far back a POD as possible, at least pre-1812. During that conflict the Brits and their militias get their butts saved by the Native tribes on multiple occasions, which has the effect of them earning a grudging (at first) respect from the colonial administrators and downright hatred from the Americans. This leads to loud pushes to run the Iroquois in particular out of their homes in New York and the upper Midwest, creating a vast population of them in Ontario and Quebec. By the middle of the 19th Century the Americans' actions gave caused a LOT of natives to go northward, and their communities become a part of the world of Canada. Aiming to counteract this, the colonial authorities go gung-ho on the building of better transportation infrastructure in Upper and Lower Canada, starting with the first iterations of the Lachine and Welland Canals and the first canals along the Canadian side of the St. Lawrence River. These are followed rapidly by railroads, first starting in the Maritimes but quickly spreading into the rest of Canada.

The Americans' undisguised demands for cultural assimilation by newcomers leads to the French Canadians working to make Quebec their own in social, legal and economic terms, to hell with what the English have to say about it. This effort combines with the Native populations to force the Colonial administrators into much more conciliatory and accommodating tones, recognizing the fact that not doing so could make the colonies almost ungovernable. By the 1850s, this had led to demands for Responsible Government, which happens more or less as OTL.

In the years that follow, though, much changes. Quebec openly encourages French-speaking arrivals and the make-our-place-within-Canada thinking of the Iroquois rapidly spreads. The Anishinaabe are directly responsible for pinpointing the Sudbury nickel deposit, and while the English follow the railroads the Natives get there first, but are happy to help trailblaze for the Whites. The Red River Rebellion is thus butterflied as the Metis are able to get respect from the Canadian government without causing a ruckus, and the Canadian Pacific Railway is completed in 1881.

Montreal's massive influx of both French and Native elites leads to some unease among the diehard Orange Order types, who heavily shift a lot of their work west to Kingston and Toronto, and though their domination of both cities is relatively short-lived it gets both off to a flying start, leaving them way ahead of OTL. The first Canadian steel mills appear in Hamilton and Sudbury in the early 1870s, and the Canadian Pacific Railway spawns several competitors, notably the Canadian Northern and Grand Trunk Pacific, the latter taking advantage of the government-built and owned National Transcontinental line. Despite the competition and government connections, the CPR, GTPR (ultimately just becoming the Grand Trunk in 1911) and CNoR soon don't have the best reputations. The Grand Trunk's machinations in particular piss off Canadian business and the public alike to no end, leading to the Georgian Bay Ship Canal being built as an alternative.

To say that project is huge is an understatement and a half, but upon its completion in 1912 it makes ocean shipping to Europe from Canada a whole lot easier. Built to.sinilar sizes as the almost-complete Panama Canal, it's hailed as a wonder of engineering at its completion, though it's cost surpasses even the sums spent on the CPR. Despite this, the canal is a massive success, and the Welland Canal is re-built to a similar size, those locks delayed by WWI but opening in 1921.

Hydroelectric power from Niagara Falls is a revelation to Canada, and during WWI grandiose plans are drawn up to expand the hydroelectric power potential of northern Ontario and Quebec as well as that of British Columbia and Manitoba - most of these would be impractical until the development of HVDC power transmission in the 1940s, but the James Bay, Ontario North, Nelson River and Churchill Falls hydroelectric projects of the 1950s are the direct result. Late in the 1910s iron ore is discovered in unimaginably-big quantities in Labrador and Northern Quebec, leading to a mining rush there. This, in turn, leads the Canadian government to assume control over the bankrupt Grand Trunk railroad, it becoming Canadian National Railways in 1922. The CNoR is offered inclusion into CNR but declines, believing - rightly as it turned out - that they could make it on their own.

There is a LOT that could be used there, and I would.

Kingston could easily be Canada's education city owing to the presence of Queens University and the Royal Military College of Canada as well as St. Lawrence and Loyalist Colleges. I'd say it's upper limit is probably around 650,000 before room starts becoming an issue (OTL: 172,546). Transportation is a non-issue here but you'll need to make good economic reasons to go much further than that.

Belleville is a bit of a tricker one though being the hub of the Prince Edward County and Hastings/Bay of Quinte region gives advantages. The comment about the Rathbun company and Desoronto (which is located between Belleville and Kingston) is a good one as well though keeping many of the businesses of the Rathbun company prospering isn't easy and you'll need to keep the rail line through town alive to give it much hope. Belleville's limit I'd say is 200,000 to 250,000, Desoronto maybe half that much. Prince Edward County is some of the best places in Ontario for fruit agriculture and in the last two decades has become full of wineries, so it makes sense to get this industry going sooner rather than later.

Terrific info as always! I made an excel to organize my thoughts and get all the feedback on paper. Don't think this forum lets you attach excel but this is the province overview at least:

ProvinceOTLUrban IncreaseALT (Urban increase + rural incrase estimate)%
Ontario
14225​
9050​
23675​
38.69%​
Newfoundland
510​
550​
0.90%​
Quebec & The Maritimes
10400​
3265​
13965​
22.82%​
The Prairies
2475​
1995​
4970​
8.12%​
Alberta
4300​
3465​
8265​
13.51%​
British Columbia
5000​
3705​
9005​
14.72%​
Northern Territories
115​
160​
0.26%​
Alaska
600​
0.98%​
Total Increase
21480​
2085​
Canada
37000​
21480​
61190​
61.2 million

What about the Clay Belt and Prince Rupert regions? If the post-war immigration crackdown never happened, what sort of development/population/economy could the clay belt have if it was more settled in the 10s/20s? And if better infrastructure was built to northern BC, how big could Prince Rupert/Prince George and the surrounding areas get?

Last edited:
This is very difficult with a 20th century PoD.

The best way to achieve this is to avoid the Great War. Immigration was exploding in the lead up to the war, and even it tapers off somewhat for the following decade, you're looking at millions of extra people by the 21st century.

I'm always leery of the Mid-Canada corridor, because I think it's mostly an economic anchor that wouldn't provide a ton of extra value and would trap people in towns with little economic outlook and depressed property values.

I'd recommend just totally butterflying away Saskatchewan and keeping it united with Alberta as the province of Buffalo. Saskatchewan is too poor and thinly populated to have properly exploited its resources, and Alberta consumed all of Saskatchewan's growth for seven decades anyways. If the capital remains in Battlefird, which makes sense as a central hub, the province likely has three major cities: Battleford, Edmonton, and Calgary. Edmonton may not be be as big as OTL, maybe 50% of the size, but Battleford is probably also hovering around a million people. Swift Current, Moose Jaw, Weyburn and Estevan are probably double their size too. Regina is likely butterflied away. If oilbis discovered ten years earlier, and there's no reason it couldn't be (it was government issued exploration credits than technical feasibility) you'll see the oil boom kick off a decade faster than OTL and give another decade of growth, probably adding at least half a million souls to the province and some much needed currency during the Great Depression.

The Mackenzie Valley Pipeline being approved would do absolute wonders for northern development and could easily see the territories double the OTL population from all the investment making it easier for other economic activity to tale place. Two extra pipelines to tidewater keep the WCS/WTI spread low and keep Canada's oil more profitable, driving further long term growth. Not using the NEP adds another $500 billion+ to the Buffalo GDP too, adding even more people to the region.

I'm still leery of a big and strong province being able to build a road all the way to Uranium City. From the west is impossible because it's nothing but a giant inland delta, and from the east you need to build about 200 bridges along the shore of Lake Athabaska. There's nothing saying it can't be done, but the cost would be astronomical. That said, a strong province would likely see a lot more investment because it wouldn't let all these projects languish in obscurity from a lack of government resources. Alberta always had far more economic dynamo than Saskatchewan regarding infrastructure investment and business tax credits.

I love this very high effort post. You've done a incredible job presenting a plausible and imaginative look at this.

For right now all I want to add is two notes on the plausibility of a higher Canadian population. Before the first world war canada was in the midst of a massive immigration wave, in 1913 alone 400,00 had arrived; and whilst that was certainly the peak the following year some 130,00 arrived in the months immediately preceding the July Crisis. Averting that, you can have a conservative estimate of 2 million staying and permanently settling in the country, and that would give you four-five million living descendants to work with.

The second is the effects of a more religious Quebec. French Canadians bred like rabbits and quebec was almost unique among European decended countries in seeing a rise in fertility during the first half of the twentieth century-until the seventies it was growing at a rate above twenty per-cent every ten years. It was only the unique circumstances of the silent revolution that put an end to a centuries long trend of high birthrates, and if it that had been averted there would now be some twelve and a half million souls living in Quebec. Now some secularization is likely inevitable in a world with anywhere near OTL's schedule of technological progress, yet even taking that into account one can quite sensibly arrive at another three to four million additional people in this Canada.

with even the barest adjustment in the fall of non francophone birthrates in response, a canada holding over fifty million people is absolutely not implausible divergence after the turn of the century.

Last edited:
The Georgian Bay canal is just too late for a 20th century POD. There's no need for it when the St. Lawrence Seaway gets built. You're spending huge sums of money to divert a small amount of goods slightly faster. In the mid 19th century it might have made sense (not that Canada could have afforded it), but not in the 20th.