Thanks everyone. I had a bit of the old creative block for a while, but when I figured out what I wanted to do this whole arc turned into a blast to write, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Now begins what I expect to be the final arc, as the TL will probably conclude at some point in the late 1780s.

While it is inhabited in the modern world, I would guess that it lacks something quite vital, like perhaps fresh water? Or is it completely Malaria-ridden?

As a general rule, if there's a Mediterranean island that is inhabited now but wasn't inhabited a few hundred years ago, the answer is "piracy." Small islands like Capraia and Gorgona aren't typically malarial because they don't have the requisite slow-moving water features.

Theo is interested in the island more for its fishery than the island itself. It could potentially support a few hundred people, provided they receive some sort of protection from Barbary slavers, but anything more than "tiny fishing village" is impossible on a rugged island that isn't even one square mile in area.

But is 60,000 scudi a small enough amount to count as a token sum in Turin?

In the process of reading this, I've realized that I completely screwed up my 18th exchange rates. I swear, figuring out the fiendishly arcane and bizarre monetary systems used by 18th century Italian statelets is one of the most annoying things I've had to research. Expect some of these figures to change in the near future once I figure out where my math went wrong.

Unless the child is a girl and Corsica has full-on agnatic or at least semi-Salic (women can inherit only when all male lines have been exhausted) succession, that child is the new heir and the Duke of Sartena has been displaced,

Corsica has male preference primogeniture, based on the relevant article of the constitution ("...after [Theodore] his male descendants, by the firstborn and, in default of males, his female descendants..."). This is interpreted to mean that sons of the monarch (or the descendants of his sons, if they predecease him) succeed before daughters, and daughters of the monarch (or their descendants, if they predecease him) succeed before the monarch's brothers or other agnates. So the Duke of Sartena would only become king if Theo fails to have any descendants at all - and, as you've surmised, he does indeed have descendants. Carlo will have to try and make something of himself, because the family already has a do-nothing royal scion - Princess Carina, who gets a pass because she's Theo's favorite sibling and is allergic to being told what to do. Carlo, being less fortunate, is going to need either a dowry or a career.

I know I've been putting it off for the Coral War arc, but we'll be getting back to the royal family in due time.

Edit: By the way, for those of you wondering "what the hell is Calice," it's the small green plot of land labeled "2" on this map.

PVN6WJA.png

Fair trade or insulting consolation prize? You decide!

Last edited:
Edit: By the way, for those of you wondering "what the hell is Calice," it's the small green plot of land labeled "2" on this map.

PVN6WJA.png

Fair trade or insulting consolation prize? You decide!
Why are Florence and Tuscany separate? Thought they were the same duchy.

Why are Florence and Tuscany separate? Thought they were the same duchy.

The former territory of the Pisan Republic (as well as the territory of the Sienese Republic, which is not shown on that map) constituted its own administrative territory within the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. There were certain exemptions and privileges granted to the communities of Florence "proper" which Pisan communities did not receive despite being part of the same overall state. So while the question of "is this territory Pisan or Florentine" doesn't affect who your ruler is in 18th century Tuscany, it might determine how much you pay in taxes. It's basically the same phenomenon of vestigial ancient privileges that one sees all over 18th century Europe until such "feudal anachronisms" were swept away in the aftermath of the French Revolution and the rationalization of the state in the 19th century.

One could argue that one of Corsica's advantages ITTL is that it doesn't have as many of these anachronisms to deal with - the state has essentially been erected from scratch, and the elites with the most privileges - the Genoese - have all been driven out. Something like the introduction of the camera provinciale system under Federico would have been extremely hard in any of the continental monarchies, where ancient traditions and deeply entrenched elites gave the existing systems extraordinary amounts of inertia. Corsica has its own established customs, particularly at the local/village level, but it's hard to scream about the "ancient privileges" of the luogotenenti when the office is barely 20 years old.

One question facing the Corsicans now is whether Bonifacio ought to enjoy some special status in acknowledgement of its own history and privileges, or whether the government should do the "rational" thing and enforce the same laws and customs on all their subjects.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I had a bit of the old creative block for a while, but when I figured out what I wanted to do this whole arc turned into a blast to write, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it. Now begins what I expect to be the final arc, as the TL will probably conclude at some point in the late 1780s.

Yeah, too much beyond that and there'd be so many butterflies that keeping track of what's happening in the wider world would overwhelm Corsica proper and swamp my favorite thing about this TL (its tight focus). Would hope for some capsule bits on the longterm future of Corsica if at all possible though...

Six years and two months later, we're reaching the end game. I'll miss this wonderful piece of fiction.

On the one hand, a story which peters out without a conclusion is worse than a story with a clear ending. On the other, this tale has so many interesting little butterflies it has released I would quite hope to see this timeline go at least into the 19th century. If France is still broke and still has a bloody revolution, what happens afterwards without the right man in the right place at the right time to seize the reins of history and become a legendary emperor? Will there be a push to unite Italy and how many will work for it and against it? Will the nascent United States be a failed experiment with democracy, or will it one day become the foremost great power of the world?

Sad to know the timelime is nearing its end but it's been one of the greatest rides reading could take me on. I was a sophomore in high school when I found this timelime and now I'm turning 21, it's gonna be weird when this timeline finishes cause ive been so used to always waiting for the next update on our favorite island kingdom. Thank you for this beautiful piece of work carp and I hope you continue writing other amazing stories if you so choose

Would hope for some capsule bits on the longterm future of Corsica if at all possible though...

There will be an "out of character" epilogue in which I'll speculate on some long-term political, economic, and demographic trends for Corsica in the future, albeit mostly focused on the 19th century rather than the 20th - the 1900s are just too far away to say much about where Corsica might end up, assuming the state survives that long. I've written some of this already, including a post on the prospects for mining and heavy industry in the later 19th century.

The Year of Victory
The Year of Victory

gL4UFFz.jpg

Cloister of the Franciscan Convent of Cervioni

War, which develops the strength of the body, at the same time tempers the soul, but often also hardens it. We owe her many of our virtues - and some of our vices.
- Don Pasquale Paoli

In July, King Theodore II issued a proclamation delaying the convocation of the consulta generale of 1782 - normally scheduled for August - until further notice.[1] Although the final draft of the Treaty of Poggio Imperiale would not be released until late August, the Corsican government knew that a document was in the works and wanted the signed treaty in hand before summoning the consulta. The first reason for this was that the government did not want to turn the assembly into a popular soapbox for all and sundry to give their opinion on the treaty negotiations; that would do nobody any good. The second reason was that the approval of the consulta would be necessary to fulfill the treaty’s expected provisions.

Foreign Minister Giovan Francesco Cuneo d’Ornano had it on good authority that one of the terms of the treaty would be the repeal of Article Ten of the Corsican Constitution, which stated “that in the Kingdom cannot dwell nor inhabit any Genoese of any rank or condition, and that the king cannot allow any Genoese to reside in the Kingdom.” The Comte de Vergennes had declared this provision “odious” and a product of “irrational animosity” which was an absolute impediment to peace. Theo was happy to abolish it, but that was not actually within his power. The fundamental principle of Corsican constitutional law was that the Constitution of 1736 was effectively a contract between the people (in the form of the national assembly) and the king, and thus could not be amended without the consent of both parties.

Befitting the special nature of this summit, the king chose to constitute the “consulta generale straordinaria” of October 1782 at Cervioni rather than Corti. It was no doubt chosen for its special relevance - the first capital of the Kingdom of Corsica, the burial place of Corsican kings, and the place where the constitution had originally been drafted (and then promulgated a few miles away at Alesani). There was not much in the way of festivities, perhaps reflecting the country’s difficult financial situation, but the king himself gave no impression of austerity. This was his moment of victorious spectacle. At the Franciscan convent of Cervioni, Theodore II was enthroned before the consulta in the black uniform of the Noble Guard, the green sash and star of the Ordine della Redenzione, and a voluminous crimson silk robe draped over his shoulders, with a laurel wreath upon his brow and the bacchetta rossa in his hand.[2]

Seated in state before the procuratori, Theo opened the proceedings with a speech. He declared that this “year of victory” represented the final, crowning achievement of the Corsican Revolution. With the conquest of Bonifacio, he had fulfilled the solemn pledge of the House of Neuhoff to liberate all of Corsica from the Genoese yoke. He admitted that the victory had cost the nation in blood, but declared that the Corsicans had never feared to pay any price for their country, their nation, and their honor. He called upon the procuratori to “confirm” Corsica’s victory by repealing Article Ten, a magnanimous act of mercy and reconciliation towards a former foe which no longer troubled the victorious Corsican nation.

This was not a very hard sell. Article Ten was widely considered antiquated, a relic of the bitter struggle of the Revolution, and the consulta repealed it by acclamation. When this was done, the king and the procuratori went on to strike out several other obsolete constitutional provisions. Article Nine, which concerned the revolutionary army,[3] and Article Twelve, which provided for the confiscation of Genoese property,[4] had since been rendered moot, and Article Twelve in particular was deemed “defamatory” by the king because it specifically categorized “the Greeks” as rebels against the kingdom. That had been true in 1736, but many Greeks had fought bravely for the Corsican crown as sailors and marines in the recent war.

The abolition of strictures against the Genoese did not mean that the Corsicans were fully reconciled to their neighbors. For many procuratori, the greatest defect of the Treaty of Poggio Imperiale was not the lack of an indemnity or the failure to acquire the rights to the Galite isles (which even educated Corsicans had difficulty locating on a map), but the fact that Genoa had escaped punishment for its offenses against religion. The Republic’s use of the ships of the Deputation of the New Armament, purchased with holy donations for war against the infidel, was a grave crime against God and Corsica alike. In Corsica, Lomellino’s squadron was not known as the grande armamento but the flotta maladetta (“accursed fleet”). Corsican statesmen compared the Siege of Capraia to the Siege of Zara in 1202, when the perfidious Venetians had used a crusading army to assault a Christian city. The Corsicans had demanded that Pope Innocent XIV do to Lomellino and his fleet what Pope Innocent III had done to the “crusaders” at Zara - excommunicate the lot of them.

Ironically, Corsica itself had made this demand impossible to fulfill. Rome’s monitorio against Theodore I had not only failed to correct the king’s behavior, but had caused a significant backlash against the pope by monarchs, statesmen, and intellectuals all over Europe who denounced his actions as retrograde and draconian. In 1769 Pope Benedict XV had declined to publish the annual bull In Coela Domini, the basis of Theodore’s excommunication, which had been issued regularly since 1363; it would never be published again. The Corsicans pointed out that by seizing the Deputation’s fleet Genoa had confiscated far more “church goods” than Theodore I had ever laid his hands upon, and Innocent did not disagree. But the pope was in an impossible situation: he knew from the Corsican experience that any religious sanction against Genoa or its fleet would almost certainly be ignored, and imposing such a sanction would only tarnish the papacy’s reputation and incur the wrath of secular authorities by making Rome appear to be taking sides in a worldly conflict. The Corsicans were asking the pope to wield a sword he no longer possessed; Theodore von Neuhoff himself had broken it.

Innocent took measures to satisfy the Corsicans during the war by censuring Genoa’s actions and ordering the Corsican ambassador in Rome to be given precedence over his Genoese counterpart, but this would not be enough. The Corsican people could never bring themselves to denounce the Holy Father directly, so the wrath of the consulta was instead aimed squarely at Giovanni Lercari, the Archbishop of Genoa. The pope, at least, had offered a verbal rebuke to the Republic, but Lercari had been conspicuous in his silence. This was particularly galling because two of Corsica’s three dioceses were still suffragans of Genoa: technically Lercari was their archbishop too, and he had tacitly approved of this sacrilegious act of violence against his own flock. Minister Pasquale Paoli proposed to sever all ties with the archdiocese and renounce its authority, and the consulta of Cervioni- including the ecclesiastical delegates - overwhelmingly ratified his proposal. Cuneo d’Ornano sent a scathing letter to Rome declaring that it was “unheard of” for a sovereign Christian kingdom to be subject to a foreign primate, and that Corsica would cease to recognize Genoese archiepiscopal authority, ban all communications with the archdiocese, and take punitive measures against Rome (including the immediate downgrading of its mission from an ambassador to a mere envoy) until this was rectified.[5]

unDGTvy.png

Pope Innocent XIV

On a more positive note, the king also used the consulta as a stage upon which to reward his most valiant subjects. The Order of Redemption was awarded to Admiral Guglielmo “Lorenzo” Lorenzi, Captain Sebastiano Piccioni, and several other naval officers noted for gallantry, as well as to the heroes of Capraia - Lieutenant-Colonel Gio Carlo Paganelli, Major Basilio Corsi, and Captain Filippo Andrei. General Petriconi was made a hereditary cavaliere, while Cuneo d’Ornano, “il maestro della pace,” had his own hereditary knighthood elevated to a countship. Count Innocenzo di Mari was given the Catena d’Argento, which for him was effectively a retirement gift. Having served as Minister of War for 20 years under three Corsican kings, the 65 year old count had decided that the victorious resolution of the Coral War was the perfect moment to conclude his public career. He split his time between a dignified retirement in his little home village of Taglio and occasional visits to court until his death in 1786.

The Catena d’Argento which elicited the most comment was the one placed around the neck of Isacco Levi Sonsino, one of the foremost businessmen of the Jewish community of Ajaccio. Born to a prosperous family in Livorno, Isacco had originally visited Corsica in the service of the family coral business but had become enamored of the ideological project of “Theodoran liberty” and moved to Ajaccio permanently. Originally working as a coral broker, he had founded one of the city’s coral bead factories and was also involved in the maritime loan business. He also had an extensive network of family and business contacts in London and Amsterdam, including a cousin in London who was a prominent dealer in coral and diamonds.

Both before and during the Coral War, Levi Sonsino had used his contacts abroad to procure loans, naval stores, gunpowder, and weapons for the government. Isacco may not have gained the public renown of General Petriconi or Admiral Lorenzo, but his actions were no less important - and while as a coral magnate he stood to gain personally from a Corsican victory, he had a patriotic commitment to his adopted state and had taken on considerable personal expense and risk to keep the Corsican armed forces supplied and funded. Count Innocenzo had jokingly called him “the most important man in the war ministry,” despite the fact that he held no government position. With this award, Isacco became Don Isacco - the first Jewish nobleman in Corsica (albeit a nobleman of the non-heritable variety, as he had merely been awarded the Catena, not granted a hereditary knighthood).

Don Isacco was one of the few people at Cervioni who had a real appreciation of the scale of the government’s financial problems. The ministry was under no obligation to disclose its budgetary figures to the consulta, and it declined to do so because the figures were genuinely disturbing. Projections that the war would “pay for itself” through seized Genoese ships had proved wildly optimistic. Costs had still not yet returned to “peacetime” levels because of the ongoing need to garrison Bonifacio, whose people seemed to have grown more restive once they learned that the Republic had bartered them away to the tyrant Theodore in exchange for a few villages in the Lunigiana.

There was not much to be done about this at the consulta. The government had considered asking for a revision of Article Fourteen, which controlled the maximum price of salt, but this was a regressive tax that would be deeply unpopular among the small farmers and herdsmen who could least afford a rise in the price of salt. Instead the ministers made vague statements about the need to elect a dieta which could make “difficult choices” to manage the kingdom’s finances. Once the consulta was concluded, they would have their work cut out for them.

That work would be left to a new and reorganized council of state. Paoli, Cuneo d’Ornano, and Carli stayed on, but the War Ministry had been vacated by Mari’s retirement and the position of Grand Chancellor became available in November with the death of Father Carlo Rostini. Rostini, popularly known as “il Padre Maestro,” was one of the last remaining men of the revolutionary old guard. He had worked in the royal chancellery since 1743 and had been Grand Chancellor since 1764. Famous for his sharp wit and sharper tongue, Rostini’s mind had never dulled with age - he simply dropped dead at 72. Some joked that the victory had killed him: Rostini’s fierce temper and his animus against the Genoese were legendary, and once the Genoese were driven from the isle he simply had nothing left to live for. Others suggested that the mere prospect of the Genoese walking amongst them once more after the repeal of Article Ten had been enough to strike him dead of apoplexy.

The king offered Rostini’s position to Minister Paoli. Paoli made a show of refusal, claiming that he was loath to leave the justice ministry when so much work remained to be done, but it is generally agreed that the move was actually Paoli’s idea. The position of Grand Chancellor had no responsibility for a great portfolio of state like war, justice, or diplomacy. Instead, the Grand Chancellor supervised the chancellery, which was the administrative heart of the crown - every royal edict, letter, and diploma was drawn up by the chancellery secretaries, and every grida was given the royal seal by the chancellor. The position offered an excellent vantage point over every aspect of government as well as unrivaled access to the king, as the Grand Chancellor was in effect the monarch’s chief private secretary. The first man to hold this position, Sebastiano Costa, had been Theodore’s closest confidant and the most influential man in the government, and that was likely the role Paoli was envisioning for himself.

Paoli was replaced at the justice ministry by Auditor-General Don Pietro Giovan Tommaso Boerio, a distinguished lawyer and judge from Corti, while Mari was replaced at the war ministry by Count Giovan Quilico Casabianca, lieutenant-general of the northern district, best known for managing the “Balagna Crisis” in 1776-77. Casabianca was widely respected and the king liked him, but most importantly he was a close friend and political ally of Paoli.[6] The same was true of Boerio, who had been Paoli’s second-in-command at the justice ministry and had authored substantial parts of the Codice Generale del Regno (“general code of the realm”), Paoli’s grand project to overhaul Corsican law. Paoli could count on him to faithfully continue that work in his new role.

It was clear to all that the new government which convened at the end of 1782 was Paoli’s government. All the ministers were friends or allies of Paoli who owed their appointments to his influence with the sole exception of Carli, the Minister of Finance, who agreed with the new Grand Chancellor on most issues of consequence. Not a single minister remained from the Frederician regime except for Paoli himself, who had entered the Second Matra Ministry in 1776. It had taken some time - Paoli was now 57 years old - but the man from Morosaglia had finally reached the summit of power, a position he would maintain for the rest of the century. The next twenty years of Corsican politics would be defined in large part by the relationship between him and the young king. Paoli still did not have the title of “prime minister,” but that scarcely mattered. The dignities of “Grand Chancellor of the Kingdom, Keeper of the Seals, and Vice-President of the Council of State” were entirely sufficient to make him the most powerful figure in the kingdom since the tenure of Marquis Gaffori. Corsica’s problems were now his to solve.

Footnotes
[1] Legally, anyone could constitute a consulta, even a consulta generale. While it was expected that a consulta would be ordered by a prominent man of the kingdom - the consulta of Alesani in 1736 had been ordered by Don Luigi Giafferi, general of the nation and Theodore’s first prime minister - the ultimate test of its legitimacy was not who originally ordered it, but whether it represented the nation. Since 1750 every consulta generale had been ordered by the king, but the king’s order was not necessary to legitimate the assembly and a consulta could theoretically be summoned over his opposition. Any meeting of the national assembly which deviated from the usual practice - an annual consulta generale held in August and ordered by the crown - was known as an “extraordinary” consulta (consulta straordinaria), but there was no legal difference between “ordinary” and “extraordinary” assemblies. Thus, Theo’s proclamation delaying the consulta generale was not actually an edict with legal force, but merely an announcement that the king did not intend to call the assembly until later. The assembly could have legally constituted itself in defiance of his announcement, but there was no pressing reason to do this.
[2] The bacchetta rossa (lit. “red wand/stick”) was a rod of state, resembling a marshal’s baton. It is often falsely claimed to have been carried by Theodore I in his revolutionary battles. Certainly Theodore was often depicted with a marshal’s baton, but that was common artistic convention for military leaders. The bacchetta rossa was in fact a gift to Theodore from Captain-General Simone Fabiani after independence. It was a rod of reddish, polished arbutus wood (arbutus unedo or “strawberry tree”). There was a silver cap on either end, each ringed with a chain motif and bearing an engraved Moor’s Head on the face. The arbutus, along with the chestnut, was considered the “national tree” of Corsica and some sort of rod or branch of arbutus is said to have been used as a symbol of authority or military power by the medieval Counts of Corsica. Theodore I seems to have rarely used the bacchetta, if ever, but Federico favored it, and Theodore II carried it with him during his “command” of the Siege of Bonifacio in 1781.
[3] IX: “That for the moment, and as long as the war with the Genoese lasts, the King may engage and use foreign troops and militia provided that they do not exceed the number of 1,200, which may nevertheless be increased by the King with the consent of the Diet of the Kingdom.”
[4] XII: “That all the property of the Genoese and the rebels to the country of the Kingdom, including the Greeks [emphasis added], be and remain confiscated and sequestered, except for reasons that would otherwise claim by proving the contrary by documents. It is understood that the property of a Corsican shall not be confiscated, provided that he does not pay any royalties or taxes to the Republic of Genoa or to the Genoese.”
[5] This was not a simple request. Genoa oversaw two of the island’s three dioceses, but for historical reasons the title of “Primate of Sardinia and Corsica” was held by the archbishop of Pisa, who oversaw only one of Corsica’s dioceses. But the title of primate was also contested by the Archdiocese of Cagliari in a complicated ecclesiastical and political dispute which had been ongoing since the 16th century. The archbishops of Cagliari were more interested in primacy over Sardinia than Corsica, but since the islands were historically linked they remained an interested party. Giving Corsica its own primate-archbishop would thus involve revisiting centuries-old disputes and potentially angering no fewer than three important archbishops in three different countries, which was why Rome was so reluctant to comply with Cuneo d’Ornano’s demands.
[6] Casabianca’s replacement was Major-General Petriconi, his subordinate in the northern district. This entailed a promotion to lieutenant-general, bringing Petriconi to the highest military rank in the kingdom (short of Captain-General, which nobody had held since the death of Simone Fabiani).

Last edited:
I'm glad you went into the trouble of pointing out the Pope's reasoning.
(I find a lot of people forget that many of them did try to keep political neutrality while still having an opinion on the matter.)

yay state-building! Great stuff!

However I do want to add something
Paoli still did not have the title of “prime minister,” but that scarcely mattered. The dignities of “Grand Chancellor of the Kingdom, Keeper of the Seals, and Vice-President of the Council of State” were entirely sufficient to make him the most powerful figure in the kingdom since the tenure of Marquis Gaffori. Corsica’s problems were now his to solve.​
I would argue that Paoli not being officially called “prime minister” doesn't really matter at all. Any of the titles Paoli has, like the "Grand Chancellor", can be a de facto title for head of government and some European countries have alternative native titles for Prime Minister. See the "president of the Council of Ministers" and "president of the Government" for Italy and Spain respectively, even though in english they are called Prime Minister.

I honestly could see it becoming this way for Corsica. Something like:
The prime minister of Corsica, officially the Vice-President of the Council of State (Corsican: Vicepresidente del Consiglio di Stato), is the head of government of Corsica.

Last edited:
I would argue that Paoli not being officially called “prime minister” doesn't really matter at all.

It matters in a Corsican historical context because Paoli is the first head of government who lacks this title. Giafferi, Gaffori, Frediani, and Matra were all titled "prime minister" (or "first minister," depending on how you want to translate primo ministro), so it's notable that Paoli doesn't have it. That said, Corsican prime ministers thus far have a history of not actually exercising much power - Giafferi was an elderly figurehead for much of his term, Frediani's ministry was dominated by his secretary of state (Paoli), and Matra had no real power until the "coup" of 1776 - and even after that he was not in supreme command of the government, forced to fight for influence with Paoli and eventually losing out to him. Gaffori is the only one of these four ministers who was actually the supreme figure in government for his whole tenure as PM (and was the supreme figure in government even before that as Sec of State under Giafferi).

Future historians might debate whether Theo's abolition of the prime ministerial title was a pointless attempt to de-emphasize the head of government ("pointless" because he then proceeded to give Paoli all the effective power of a PM) or whether he was simply getting rid of an office that, for most of its history, had tended to be more ceremonial than actual. It's possible that some monarch will revive the office later on, or that "VP of the Council of State" will become Corsica's version of a PM title. Canonically, Paoli goes on to hold this position for another two decades, so it could also be that the office of "Grand Chancellor" becomes so closely identified with the head of government that it effectively becomes the new PM office. That will have to be left for speculation, however, as we won't be getting that far ITTL.

Grand Chancellor, Keeper of the Seals, and Vice-President of the Council of State
Secretaries of the Chancellery​
Royal Archivist​
Almoner of the Realm​
Grand Courier​
Rector of the Royal University​
Minister of State for War*
Secretary of State for the Army​
Secretary of State for the Navy​
Paymaster-General​
Inspector-General of Fortifications and Artillery​
Inspector-General of the Militia​
Minister of State for Foreign Affairs
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs​
Envoys and consuls​
Spies (unofficially)​
Minister of State for Justice
Auditor-General​
Judges of the Crown Tribunal​
Judges of the Ambulatory Tribunal (“la Marcia”)​
Judges of the Provincial Tribunals​
Judges of the Commercial Tribunal​
Royal Procurator​
Royal Advocates​
Adjutants of the Royal Lieutenancies​
Minister of State for Finance*
Secretary of State for Commerce and Customs​
Secretary of State for Agriculture​
Controller-General​
President of the Currency​
Surveyor-General​
Director of the Royal Saltworks​
Inspector-General of Roads, Bridges, and Mines​
Inspector-General of Forests​
Inspector-General of Fishing​
Presidents of the Provincial Chambers**​

*Consiliar departments - the minister and his subordinate secretaries form a council chaired by the minister
**Provincial chamber presidents report to the Minister of Finance but do not actually sit on the council of Finance

I feel like its at this point that Paoli and Theo the gardener and the Jesuits and everyone get their heads together to start really carving the village commons into fields of yeoman citizen-farmers and Romanesque patriots, dovetailing the long-standing Paolian political aim with the current bankruptcy of the crown to have the middle peasantry start to incorporate and buy out their customary open fields and themselves start to pay for heavier ploughs, modern mills and presses, more specialized inter-Corsican agriculture with less inefficient self-reliance, etc.., etc..,

I feel like its at this point that Paoli and Theo the gardener and the Jesuits and everyone get their heads together to start really carving the village commons into fields of yeoman citizen-farmers and Romanesque patriots, dovetailing the long-standing Paolian political aim with the current bankruptcy of the crown to have the middle peasantry start to incorporate and buy out their customary open fields and themselves start to pay for heavier ploughs, modern mills and presses, more specialized inter-Corsican agriculture with less inefficient self-reliance, etc.., etc..,
I'm hoping for the same here, Paoli is quite the capable leader and without having to be a wartime dictator I'm sure his policies and the way he goes about reform and overhaul would be less draconian. Theodore is young but as mentioned educated and with a knack for agriculture. I'm really hoping these events are the beginning of Corsica being able to solidly set its finances straight and start some real infrastructure development and public works. And Corsica is probably the best place in Europe to experiment with a nation made of yeoman farmers. They have almost none of the social stratification and wealth differences the mainland has. I'm so excited for infrastructure updates