Chp1
Jolly Good!

15th December 1975, Buckingham Palace, London

Captain Saunders regarded me and smiled amiably, as always. “For the record, sir, me and mine are very grateful,” he said. He must have seen some semblance of shock and awe on my face, for he simply nodded as I did and asked, “Ready, sir?”

“As I’ll ever be, heh!” I claimed, “and, for the record, Captain,” I said, gathering my reflections, “thank you. It means more to me than the baubles and trifles that they fling at my person as honours.”

He beamed and opened the great oak doors to the Indian Drawing Room.

“The Prime Minister, Your Majesty” he bowed.

As expected, she stood gazing into the flames, like as she might divine the very nature of existence. Rain or shine, winter frost or summer warmth, there would always be a fire roaring merrily at the audience. And HM would look into it to collate her thoughts before I was announced.

“Your Majesty,” I bowed deeply.

“Thank you, Saunders,” she smiled and dismissed the captain before turning to me, “Good morning to you too, Prime Minister.”

“Only for a nonce longer, ma’am,” I smiled wistfully.

She motioned to the settee in front of the fire to sit down and asked, “Tea, Prime Minister?”

“A gentleman never declines an offered cup, ma’am,” I grinned as I sat down.

She handed me a cup and saucer, took one for herself and then the shrewd eyes turned to attend on me. I don’t think many cognise the degree of intense intellect that is veiled behind those eyes. Tis the gaze that made Churchill squirm in his seat like a guilty child who ate too many cakes and shut Eden’s sanctimonious bleatings up sharpish. Both commendable tasks, though challenging to accomplish.

“You’ll be pleased to know, this audience can extend as long as you request,” she said, taking a sip of her tea, “I’ve had my diary freed for it.”

“Most gratified to hear that, ma’am, there is much to recapitulate and brief you on,” I sighed, “Much that even your red boxes make mere faint mention of.”

You could tell she was a tad astonished by the fact that her eyes grew slightly wider before returning to the neutral. HM does not enjoy being kept in the dark, nor should she be, but the civil service had their games. Even as PM, I’ve ascertained a few things long after the fact, the minutiae never materialising in my red box, seemingly dropping out of them. I didn’t realise this problem until it was pointed out to me of course. Plum didn’t satirise my youthful fatheadedness for nothing.

“Oh, I was not aware that the government was concealing knowledge of something?” she queried, though the curt tone of her voice was a transparent indication of the frayed temper.

“Truthfully, nor was I, Sir Humphrey informed me of sundry of the unlamented Sir Arnold’s misdeeds, ma’am,” I said apologetically, “Apparently, Your Majesty was not alone in being kept in the dark, however, and the purge, as the media puts it, helped scour the civil service quite a bit. They seemed to be operating unfettered in their Victorian worldview.”

“There were numerous appeals and pleas awaiting my consideration before your civil service reshuffle, though I remember making you aware of the fact,” HM thought aloud.

“Jeeves kept me apprised of the affairs that seemed to mystically fall out of my boxes regularly, ma’am. I had thought Your Majesty’s household might have also comprised of such resourceful individuals,” I mused. She smirked at that.

“The Royal Household is a den of myriad secrets, a nest only the QM has learnt to unravel, and save for gossip of marriages for the Prince of Wales, politics is rarely a feature at tea-time, Prime Minister,” HM chuckled on. With a serious expression she questioned, “Resignation for certain then?”

“The day I set out on this task, I knew I had signed away my Commons career, ma’am. 20 years in No. 10 isn’t a bad innings, though! Longest serving PM of your majesty’s reign, I shall have that on my tombstone!” I grinned like the Cheshire cat, “And naturally I shall stand for the Lords. I think my career has been superlatively satisfactory!”

She snorted, “As if my sensible aunt Vicky would tolerate such unsound conduct! She will have no qualms about raising you from the dead the wring you dry like a damp tea-towel for that! I must agree on your career assessment. A good run”

“Just so, ma’am. Nevertheless, it is more a question of my party, and the coalition at large, being no longer disposed to suffer my premiership. The Lords already believe themselves betrayed in my first term, and no one seems to have shaken the wisdom into them. I shall endeavour to do so should I be fortunate to win a seat there. As for my coalition, Stansgate told me in no uncertain terms, either I walk the plank honourably or fire and brimstone will descend,” I explained. “The man bleats like a sheep about his lofty ideals, I think it unlikely that he would lead any government. Why Labour chose him over Callaghan confounds me even now!”

She nodded and motioned for me to continue. I stood and bowed and proclaimed in a clear voice-

“Your Imperial Britannic Majesty, I humbly submit that I can no longer command the confidence of the House of Commons in the Parliament of this United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Therefore, I must withdraw from the august position that Your Majesty generously bestowed upon me and ask respectfully that Your Majesty release me from this office. As my concluding counsel as the First Lord of your Royal Treasury, I ask that Your Majesty issue a writ of dissolution, that the lords, ladies and gentlemen of your parliament assembled, may go forth to your peoples and regain their favour, that Your Majesty call upon the people to elect a House anew, to convene in parliament, and by your favour, govern ably in your name all your realms and its subject peoples.”

“Whereas we, in our grace, by god’s good guidance, are satisfied with your able duty, we release you from your service as our First Lord” she replied in a clear voice.

“The Queen wills it, and I obey,” I exclaimed, finishing the formal oath.

TLIA intro
Right what's all this then?
Shush, internal monologue, I'm trying to emulate the greats here.
It would do well to explain, don't you think?
Yes, yes, alright! Keep your shirt on!
Get on with it then!
I am! SO....I'm doing a timeline (well snippets of it, anyway) that have been doing the rounds in my head.
AND?
I'm getting to it! Be quiet! Here I imagine if a certain Wodehouse character was the greatest politician Britain had ever seen.
What's the point of divergence?
The liberal party getting the Irish Home Rule bill through, leading to devo-max and butterflies from there.
This is all very muddled, are you sure you aren't simply sozzled?
No I am not! Who do you take me for? Rob Roy?
Are you actually going to finish this?
Maybe? if work doesn't get in the way. Anyhoo...
Anyhoo!? How modern of you.
Cork it! or I'll thrash you!

Ask any questions you like. I'll probably do a background and summary eventually. This is my first attempt, so I would appreciate constructive criticism!.

Chp2
Tally Ho!

The Times.

Evening Edition of Monday, 15 December 1975

PM Resigns! Election imminent!

C. C. Darling, Senior Political Correspondent

Downing Street has authenticated through respective backroom channels that, the Rt. Hon. Lord Yaxley, our Prime Minister, has tendered his resignation to Her Majesty the Queen at Buckingham Palace this morning. This ensues from the strife and tumult in the increasingly fractious and factionalised National Progressive Coalition (NPC) led by the PM since the enactment of the Constitution Act of 1975. Therefore, he is to be the last Lord to ever occupy the office of PM as the neoteric reforms in the Constitution that come into force on the midnight of the 24th of December forbid lords from contesting seats in the House of Commons. The Hon. Mrs. Angela Glossop, the fiery-tempered Secretary of State for Home Affairs is understood to succeed him as leader of the Liberal Progressive Party (LPP) and the NPC in Parliament. A formal declaration is to be made tomorrow morning. It is alleged by some MPs that the Covenden Committee, which represents the backbench MPs of the NPC had begun to receive letters of no-confidence in the PM. For a motion to be initiated, 1/3rd of sitting MPs in government, corresponding to 154 MPs would have to present said letters. Such a figure for any renegade clique is considered impracticable. The PM, nonetheless, having triumphed in the charge he set out on, has elected to step down.

Buckingham Palace has also indorsed that on the counsel of the PM, Her Majesty the Queen has issued a writ of dissolution for renewed elections to be called. According to the new Constitution, the Royal Electoral Commission (REC) is to set a date in the calendar month of January of 1976, in accordance with Her Majesty’s wishes, for a general election to be convened. The two principal competitors for this election would be – (1) the Union Coalition (UC) -: contained of the Conservative and Unionist Party (CUP), the Liberal Democrats (LDP), the Scottish National Party (SNP) and the Ireland Arise Party (IAP) (2) and the National Progressive Coalition (NPC) -: comprised of the Liberal Progressive Party (LPP), the Social Democratic Party (SDP), the National Labour Party (NLP), the Irish Progressive Party (IPP) and the Scottish Unionist Party (SUP). Pollsters forecast a selection of contrasting outcomes from a hung parliament to a severely reduced majority for the NPC. We at The Times expect the latter result to be more likely. The Viscount Stansgate, soon to be Mr. Wedgewood-Benn, as he has determined to abdicate his title before the next election, stated that the NLP will remain in the coalition in either case. It has been speculated by sources in Westminster that the insurrection against the PM was originated in the radical left-wing of the NLP which does not feature in its parliamentary party.

This long-form editorial will endeavour to synopsise the PM’s infamous career before entering the highest office in the land and wish him luck in the elections for the Lords that will follow the elections for the Commons. It is understood that the MPs of the NPC and even some of the UC have already agreed to crown his career by a majority vote for a Ducal seat in the Lords. A further report in the morning edition will hope to highlight the Lord Yaxley’s career as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The civic career of Mr. Bertram Wilberforce Wooster began with the tragic demise of his uncle, the 19th Marquess Yaxley, as reported in 1927 by the collapse of the roof of the vicarage at Twing, propelling him to a seat into the Lords. Lord Yaxley, however, has stood for the commons since 1927 - first as Member for the University of Oxford and later as Member for Matchingham-Totleigh. Having read History, Scripture and Economics at Magdalen College, Oxford, the new Lord Yaxley was selected as Parliamentary Secretary to the Chancellor of the Exchequer, where his subscription to the then unorthodox “Keynesian” economic philosophy (as it is now known) is held to have spared the Chancellor an embarrassing eviction from No. 11 and the economy at large from the exceedingly adverse effects of the Wall Street Crash of 1929. Our pecuniary professionals accede that the spree of extravagant government expenditure did defer and defang the ensuing depression, they also purport that this led to a distending in the already expansive national debt, a state which even now remains a Sword of Damocles hanging on our economy. It was also during this time i.e., 1930, that he married HRH the Princess Victoria Alexandrina, the youngest daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. It is assumed that he was advanced to Dukedom as the late Queen Mary wished her daughter to marry a Duke, even if for love.

Following the withdrawal of Lord Halifax as Viceroy in January of 1931, which remains overshadowed with dissent and strife in India, Lord Yaxley was nominated to that position, as plenipotentiary, due his royal connection to bring calm to the storm engulfing the Indian Empire. It was here where his earliest incredible triumph was renowned. Spearheading consultations for Indian Home Rule in the Round Table Conferences, for which he earnt the enduring enmity of Sir Winston Churchill and much of the India League, he swayed either side a reciprocally beneficial arrangement, later pressed through Parliament as the India Act of 1931 which essentially made the Indian Empire a Dominion alike to the echelon of Canada, South Africa, Australia, and Polynesia. He was also the first Governor-General of the new Dominion, swearing in Sir M. K. Gandhi as its first PM on August 15th, 1932, a likeness of which has since been immortalised on the cover of the TIME magazine. India continues to remain an integral part of the Commonwealth, and Her Majesty continues to enjoy the style of Empress of India. For this victory against an assumed Sisyphean task, he was named Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs in the Liberal-Conservative Coalition of 1933 by the Earl Bewdley.

As Foreign Secretary, he was crucial in the overthrow of that dictator Mussolini, covertly ministering the mass demonstrations that trailed a colossal slump and famine in Italy, reinstating democratic franchise there under Umberto II as King; in the Shanghai Conference between the Empire of Japan, the Qing Monarchy, and the USSR, which led to an utterly unsatisfactory settlement for each delegation. This and the circumstances of Korea are much alike the Balkans in the Great War, a powder-keg awaiting to ignite war. The Bandung Conference between the moderate Insulindian autonomists and the Dutch Government leading to the Federation of Insulindia joining the Kingdom of the Netherlands; the overwhelming victories in the Fifth and Sixth Boer Wars against the Boer/National Party insurgency in South Africa; and the Philadelphia memorandum with President Roosevelt for a full military and economic alliance, a renegotiations of war debts and a full share for the United States in the Suez are three of the other prodigious actions that warrant a praiseworthy allusion. His final act in his first term as Foreign Secretary was the tacit approval to the full restoration of the Hapsburg dynasty on the Austrian and Hungarian thrones as a counterpose to the ascent of the NSDAP and Herr Hitler in Germany. If that was a triumph as a moderating influence or an abject catastrophe is still under deliberation. His first term in the Foreign Office was not without its faults, however. The seizure of several French colonies in the wake of the July revolution of 1935 was criticised on either side. The existential threat of a rapidly militarising and resurgent German state, nevertheless, compelled the new Orleanist government to practice pragmatism over the vain pridefulness the French are known for.

According to sources close to the Royal Family, he was irreplaceable in the Abdication Crisis, though, this publication has no recourse in verifying that fact. It was also during the Abdication Crisis that he became the leader of the Liberal Party. In the further elections of December 1936, a fresh Conservative-Liberal coalition was revived under Sir Neville Chamberlain, with the Lord Yaxley returning to a now reinforced position of Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Colonial Affairs.

This term was at the outset occupied by “shrinking our colonial encumbrance” as the noble lord claimed. The assembly of Newfoundland was dissolved and along with the islands of St Pierre & Miquelon, the territory was transferred to Canada. The recently established Caribbean Federation was granted limited self-government; the High Commissioner Territories, long a bone of contention between South Africa and Britain, were conceded to the Union along with Bechuanaland; the Rhodesian colonies were federated; the islands of the Indian Ocean ceded to India in exchange for the City of Bombay; the Pacific Islands handed to Polynesia; and Arabia decisively unified under a Hashemite monarchy with the Viscount Aden (more prevalently identified by his name T. E. Lawrence) was appointed as the first Lord Resident of Arabia. Immense condemnation for such wanton dismantlement of “the Empire” and abuse of authority was earned by the noble lord, as much of the colonial restructuring was pursued through Orders-in-Council rather than Parliamentary deliberation, and a motion of censure was to be tabled in Parliament, but the Sudeten Crisis, prevented any action being taken against him.

The outbreak of war in September 1938 proved an opportune booster for Lord Yaxley’s flagging career. He continued the aid to the Marshal Wrangel in the 2nd Russian Civil War through India while shepherding the United States, France and the Dominions to war against Germany. That Washington honoured the Philadelphia memorandum, even with a predominant attitude of splendid isolation was a surprise to most, not least of all Lord Yaxley himself, who was thought to have exclaimed “the jammy buggers did it!” in Westminster Hall when given the news. The passing of Sir Neville Chamberlain effected much anarchy in government as Sir Winston Churchill, the Lord Halifax and the Earl Athlone contended for the office of PM. The Chancellor Viscount Caldecote held the reins as acting PM while the power struggle persisted. The abrupt demise of Sir Winston by poisoning alarmed the nation into proclaiming a Government of National Unity under the Earl Athlone which endured until well after the end of the war. Lord Yaxley toured the Commonwealth extensively throughout the war, visiting allies and troops on the frontlines to aid morale. The seizure of Berlin in 1943 conclusively terminated the war period, though much of Europe was devastated and ravaged. With Russia still embroiled in civil war, Britain and the United States were left to reconstruct the new world order.

Lord Yaxley’s deft diplomacy in hosting referenda and plebiscites in disputed territories, hosting a Congress in Vienna much like 1815 to institute a lasting peace was a resounding success everywhere save France, where the new Prime Minister Charles De Gaulle was vehemently against any parity of victors to the vanquished. That Germany surprisingly grew in size, to the chagrin of the rest of Europe in this congress is perhaps the most cited outcome of the Peace.

The Government of National Unity, renewed until 1948, was instrumental in the decolonisation process that shadowed the war and the founding of the United Nations. The Wooster Commission headed by Lord Aden is notable for the request of a secularisation of the Palestine province of Arabia, submitting that a safeguard to all Jews may help them return to their “promised land”. The Orders-in-Council persisted to be applied by the FCO with the Rhodesian Federation being awarded full self-government after the Wedgewood-Benn Commission of 1945. East Africa and West Africa were asked to establish independent constituent assemblies for a path to self-rule, and negotiations began for a Commonwealth Common Market, which persisted beyond Lord Yaxley’s term in the FCO. These references remain hallmarks of the pseudo-Palmerstonian foreign objectives of the noble lord throughout his terms as Foreign and Colonial Minister.

The elections of 1948 brought a resounding defeat for the Conservatives, with the newly branded Liberal Progressive Party under Lord Yaxley earning many gains. The Labour-Liberal coalition under the Earl Atlee included Lord Yaxley graduating to No. 11 as Chancellor of the Exchequer, where he is accredited with the post-war boom and the creation of the welfare state. The social care policies, at first attributed to Lord Atlee, are now known to be Lord Yaxley’s. The conception of the National Health Service, the reform of British Rail and the successful implementation of the Grantham Commission of 1950 are three of his most commendable programs. The tragic passing of His Majesty George VI and the election of 1952 brought Lord Yaxley to the Leader of the Opposition’s pedestal, where he became legendary for his fiery rhetoric against the muddled government’s numerous attempts to reverse the bounds of the welfare state. The downfall of the Earl Athlone’s second minority ministry in 1955, finally brought Lord Yaxley to No. 10.

This concludes the summary of his pre-No. 10 career. It is hoped that a great statesman like Lord Yaxley continues to inhabit the government in the Lords as a moderating influence. God Save the Queen!

Chp3
Toodle Pip!

1st of March 1955, Cabinet Room, No. 10, Downing Street, London.

We’re called~ Gondolieri,

But that’s a vagary!

It’s quite honorary,

The trade that we ply~~~y….”

I languidly attended to BBC Radio as I shuffled through the broadcast put to me.

“Jeeves! I say!” I exclaimed as he shimmered in with the divine restorative.

“Sir?” he inquired, raising his eyebrow faintly.

“Don’t ‘Sir?’ me as if your magnum opus isn’t strewn before me, Jeeves,” I countered.

“Very good, sir,” he plainly responded, progressing to pour out the customary cup.

“Why was I not made aware that Parliament had its own gazetteer, Jeeves?” I asked curtly.

“I cannot say, sir,” he shrugged, appearing as guiltless as a lamb.

“I’m the PM!” I declared animatedly.

“Yes, sir. Indubitably, sir,” he maintained, composed as calm as a cucumber.

Now we Woosters are patient men, brimming with noblesse, of stark virtue and what’s-its-face honour, but by Jove this took the giddy biscuit! That the man had the cheek to be so serene whilst I looked to go bald by pulling out my hair was most unsound.

“Jeeves,” I said tetchily, “I am cognisant of the reality that you are now my PPS, except you additionally remain as…. as... Oh dash it! I’m too preoccupied, Jeeves, what’re the words I’m seeking?”

“Your gentleman’s personal gentleman, sir? Most undoubtedly, sir,” he replied.

“Then why this, Jeeves? Who swore you the thirty pieces of silver?” I demanded, deflated. One could never be enraged with Jeeves; he was too marvellous to be deducted from the life equation.

He raised a second eyebrow then schooled his features again and answered, “I thought it an indispensably critical undertaking before your first contest of wills against the formidable Earl Home, sir. If memory serves, sir, he is now the Right Honourable Leader of Her Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition.”

“Yes, yes, I am informed, Jeeves,” I said steadily, “Plum may have made me thick and earnt his Earldom for it, but I do have an evident faculty of the cranial juice, Jeeves.”

“Very good, sir,” he nodded.

I lingered and resumed, “On the mention of Plum, I must say, appointing him the Earl of Sidcup and Deverill following Spode’s demise was a right lark, Ha! Although perchance Madeleine may not have been so entertained or enthused.”

“Thank you, sir,” he smiled, “the Dowager Countess, it seems is to marry Mr. Fink-Nottle, sir.”

“Gussie? Heaven save the poor blighter!” I exclaimed, “I had thought him beyond her claws!”

“As had I, sir,” he responded sagely, “Life is a mysterious source of many ironies, sir.”

I recaptured my solemn and imperious poise, lest I got carried away by the fellow, and jollied on regarding him with the stink-eye. “Wherefore this overreach? This infidelity then?” I interrogated.

“If you recollect, sir, at the New Years’ Ball, the Earl of Northumberland, the Lord Percy, made his passionate advances at the Lady Alexandra, hoping to court her,” he reminded me, “a most unfit match, sir.”

“Yes, I recall, a fathead of the highest order! Though a respectable man if one recuses the deficiency of any little grey cells. Made “Barmy” Phungy-Phipps look like that that Turing chappie! I’d let my daughter marry a bally Churchill before that cove, at least he would possess a functioning intellect! She warrants the exceptional and the extraordinary! Capital fellow that Turing lad though, sound cream-of-the-crop type what? Make a note to have him suitably rewarded. Governor-General of the Caribbean sounds a satisfying affair to add to a KCMG, methinks,” I rambled.

He coughed, as he did when I got diverted, and jollied me back to hand, “Well, sir, you had inquired if I wished recompense for that duty, sir.”

Realisation hit me like one of those new trains, and I slumped back like a bowlful of jelly into my chair. “So, this is to be your pound of flesh then, Shylock?” I questioned feebly. A gentleman knows when he is overcome, after all.

“Yes, sir,” he answered naturally.

“Not the straw hat? Or the purple cummerbund? Or even the dickie-tie?” I probed as my one final blow.

“No, sir. Those articles, deposited in your wardrobe by your adversaries, were disposed of by the SAS, sir,” he declared. One could see a slight smirk of triumph on him, or mayhap I was dreaming.

“Very well, Jeeves,” I sighed, “Now, rationalise your reasoning to me. I shan’t be a bally codfish like Eden was. We never grasped he was made for the Edwardian, not the Elizabethan, what? Home’s a cunning intellectual, I needs must have all armament against him. And I need discern details before Atlee comes barrelling through that door and lumps a brick or two or three at me.”

“Very good, sir,” he acquiesced, “shall I ask the Duke of Anglesey to come through, sir?”

“Blackadder? What in god’s name is he doing here?” I asked, stunned.

“If you peruse the list once more, sir, his name arrives second from the top, sir,” he explained, “after your own, sir.”

Now you see, this record we were so spiritedly mulling over was the Cabinet, the names and offices circulated in the gazetteer. Rum business this, but we Woosters know to take it on the chin and shove along.

“Gondolieri! Gondolieri!

Tra-la-la-la-la~!

Tra-la-la~la!...”

Came that din from the radio again. “Oh, and Jeeves? Turn that infernal nonsense Pinafore off, would you?”

“That is Gilbert and Sullivan, sir, as you accurately identified, sir,” he expounded, “however, it is their operatta named The Gondoliers, not H.M.S. Pinafore, sir.”

“Never mind The Gondoliers, Jeeves,” I spoke exasperatedly.

“No, sir,” he returned.

“Expunge The Gondoliers from your memory,” I maintained in an irritated tone.

“I have already done so, sir,” he asserted, as he strode to turn the radio off.

“Now let us debate this firstly, before you chuck in Blackadder,” I brought us back to the objective.

“Very good, sir,” he said sagaciously.

I have sought to remake the catalogue as best as I could hither.

Bertram Wooster, 1st Duke of Pembroke and Albany, 20th Lord Yaxley, etc.Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, First Lord of the Royal Treasury, Minister for the Civil Service and Minister for the Union of the Crowns.
Edmund Blackadder, 16th Duke of Anglesey, 19th Lord Blackadder, etc.Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Lord High Treasurer of Great Britain and Ireland, Second Lord of the Royal Treasury and Lord Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Clement Atlee, 1st Earl Atlee.Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain and Ireland.
Marmaduke Chuffnell, 3rd Earl Chuffnell, 9th Lord Chuffnell, etc.Lord President of the Council, Leader of the House of Lords, and Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal.
William Jowitt, 1st Earl Jowitt.Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Board of Trade.
Sir Edgar Holmes, Bt.Secretary of State for the Home Department and Paymaster General.
Angela Glossop, Hon.Secretary of State in the Cabinet Office, Lord Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Postmaster General.
Sir Roderick Glossop, Bt.Secretary of State for Health and Social Welfare, Minister for the National Health Service and Deputy Leader of the House of Commons.
William Wedgewood-Benn, 1st Viscount Stansgate.Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Colonial Affairs and Secretary of State for Colonial Development.
Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Berwick, etc.First Lord of the Admiralty and Chief of Defence Staff.
John Crichton-Stuart, 6th Marquess Bute.Secretary of State for Scotland.
Richard Lloyd George, 2nd Earl Dwyfor.Secretary of State for Wales and Cornwall.
Gerald FitzGerald, 8th Duke Leinster.Secretary of State for Ireland, Mann, and the Isles.
Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Alamein.Secretary of State for Defence and War.
Sir Wilfrid Robarts, Q.C.Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chief Justiciar.
Sir Willam Royce, Bt.Secretary of State for Business, Industry, and Innovation.
George Crawley, 9th Earl Grantham.Secretary of State Housing and Development.
Martin Poole, 4th Marquess Branksome, 14th Lord Branksome, etc.Secretary of State for Transport
Sir Stephen Knight-Poole.Secretary of State for Culture, Media, Technology and Telecommunications
Sir Anthony II Hogmanay-Melchett.Secretary of State for the Air
Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor.Secretary of State for Minority, Women’s, and Veterans’ Affairs
Sir Robert Bennington.Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Rural Affairs.
Secretary of State for Forestry and the Environment.
Sir Richard Cripps.Secretary of State for Public Works, Welfare, Labour, and Pensions.
Ellen WilkinsonSecretary of State for Education
William Hare, 5th Earl Listowel.Secretary of State for Energy and Fuel.
Secretary of State for National Service.
Henry Hornby-Harrison, 3rd Baron Harrison.Secretary of State for Urban Planning, Infrasturcture, and Local Government.
Sir Francis Urqhart, Bt.Government Chief Whip, Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Minister for the Cabinet Office.
Sir Ian Fleming.Minister for Internal and External Security.
Edwin Craye, 9th Earl Worplesdon.Attorney General for England, Wales, Mann and Cornwall.
Robert Little, Baron Bittlesham.Advocate General for Scotland and the Isles
Sir Alexander Prosser.Advocate General for Ireland and the Dominions in Britain.
Henri St. Laurent.Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
James Hacker.Minister without Portfolio

“Thirty-three positions! Ye Gods!” I cried, “Isn’t that a tad extreme, Jeeves?”

“There have been Prime Ministers with more extensive cabinets, sir” he specified, “this, however, encapsulates the utmost extent of governance, compressed into a constrained compendium of parliamentary representatives, sir.”

“But the dosh, Jeeves! The moolah, oof, spondoolik! Home will have my guts for garters tomorrow for expanding cabinet so much,” I sighed, “and yet, all positions seem crucial to me! And the volume of lords! I’ll be branded another Earl Grey! I had thought we were founding an equal society!”

“To answer both your enquiries, sir, several lords were preferred as they are of some substantial means and thus, much akin to yourself, may decline remuneration,” he elucidated, “perhaps, if you were to volunteer this information at the cabinet meeting this afternoon, they might be induced to correspond. It might serve us justifiably at question time to demonstrate that cabinet is extended but its expenses are significantly diminished.”

“Hmm, very well, I distinguish the crux of your argument, Jeeves,” I ruminated, “Our peoples merit the highest intensity of consideration in every field of governance. After all, they did not sacrifice so much in war to be deserted by their government in peace.”

“Precisely, sir,” he beamed.

“Blackadder?” I doubted, “I concur committedly with all others, but him?”

“A commendable intelligence, sir, if exceedingly ambitious,” he illuminated, “his youth and vigour, if charged to an undertaking that meets a trial, may prove a blessing that pays countless dividends, sir.”

“What inhibits him from booting me out of No. 10?” I demanded, “For it is assured he craves to reach higher and further. He descends from kings, don’t you know.”

“Your imperial relation, sir,” he grinned, “though royal prerogative has seldom, if ever, been employed since Queen Anne. It is your repute with the citizens of this country that would foil any overthrow. By advancing him the second-highest rank, you acknowledge his intellect and determination, and indicate to him you are princely with your bequests.”

“And how do I present rage at perfidy?” I solicited.

“I believe M. Clemenceau was educated of that fact by losing half his country’s empire and M. De Gaulle by becoming the pariah at Vienna, sir,” he smiled.

“Yes, well, I see the sense,” I shrugged, “Right ho then, bung in the blighter and let the tournament commence! God Save the Queen!”

“Very good, sir,” he bowed and went to let Blackadder in.

Somehow, the appointment I find most concerning is that which gives Ian Fleming the security portfolio...
Initially it would have been Commander Bond but I changed this to Ian Fleming. In the canon for this TL he makes a misogynistic remark in Parliament about the Nancy Astor and gets suspended, so Bertie appoints Sir Christopher Lee as Fleming's replacement.

TL POD
The Irish Home Rule Bill, tabled in Parliament is passed by the Parliament under coercion in 1915. Under this Bill, a devolved government of Ireland is established in Belfast (Candlemas Parliament) and Dublin (Martinmas Parliament). This leads to a mid-war election that the Liberal Party resoundingly wins, ensuring they remain a truly relevant competitor in British Politics and not a third party playing kingmaker. With the new strengthened arrangements, devolution offers are made for Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh), Wales (Caenarfon and Cardiff), the Isles (Skye), Mann (Douglas) and Cornwall (Truro and Penzance). All of this is to boost recruitment. All of these also pass under coercion from the King, with the Lords attempts to block them being foiled by a warning that the King would make new lords who would do what the government asks. (I've written a vignette of Asquith legalising homosexuality to recruit further larger volumes of men, if there's interest in the timeline, I'll publish it too). Versailles is just as bad, because Clemenceau's revanchism still sadly exists. Most post-war governments, however, are some form of liberal-conservative coalition or liberal-labour coalition. Wooster enters the picture in 1927 as MP for the University of Oxford, and through some browbeating of the Chancellor Neville Chamberlain by Aunts Dahlia and Agatha respectively, and a commendation from the University, Bertie is selected to be Parliamentary Secretary. and the TL follows from there.

Toodle Pip!

1st of March 1955, Cabinet Room, No. 10, Downing Street, London.

We’re called~ Gondolieri,

But that’s a vagary!

It’s quite honorary,

The trade that we ply~~~y….”

I languidly attended to BBC Radio as I shuffled through the broadcast put to me.

“Jeeves! I say!” I exclaimed as he shimmered in with the divine restorative.

“Sir?” he inquired, raising his eyebrow faintly.

“Don’t ‘Sir?’ me as if your magnum opus isn’t strewn before me, Jeeves,” I countered.

“Very good, sir,” he plainly responded, progressing to pour out the customary cup.

“Why was I not made aware that Parliament had its own gazetteer, Jeeves?” I asked curtly.

“I cannot say, sir,” he shrugged, appearing as guiltless as a lamb.

“I’m the PM!” I declared animatedly.

“Yes, sir. Indubitably, sir,” he maintained, composed as calm as a cucumber.

Now we Woosters are patient men, brimming with noblesse, of stark virtue and what’s-its-face honour, but by Jove this took the giddy biscuit! That the man had the cheek to be so serene whilst I looked to go bald by pulling out my hair was most unsound.

“Jeeves,” I said tetchily, “I am cognisant of the reality that you are now my PPS, except you additionally remain as…. as... Oh dash it! I’m too preoccupied, Jeeves, what’re the words I’m seeking?”

“Your gentleman’s personal gentleman, sir? Most undoubtedly, sir,” he replied.

“Then why this, Jeeves? Who swore you the thirty pieces of silver?” I demanded, deflated. One could never be enraged with Jeeves; he was too marvellous to be deducted from the life equation.

He raised a second eyebrow then schooled his features again and answered, “I thought it an indispensably critical undertaking before your first contest of wills against the formidable Earl Home, sir. If memory serves, sir, he is now the Right Honourable Leader of Her Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition.”

“Yes, yes, I am informed, Jeeves,” I said steadily, “Plum may have made me thick and earnt his Earldom for it, but I do have an evident faculty of the cranial juice, Jeeves.”

“Very good, sir,” he nodded.

I lingered and resumed, “On the mention of Plum, I must say, appointing him the Earl of Sidcup and Deverill following Spode’s demise was a right lark, Ha! Although perchance Madeleine may not have been so entertained or enthused.”

“Thank you, sir,” he smiled, “the Dowager Countess, it seems is to marry Mr. Fink-Nottle, sir.”

“Gussie? Heaven save the poor blighter!” I exclaimed, “I had thought him beyond her claws!”

“As had I, sir,” he responded sagely, “Life is a mysterious source of many ironies, sir.”

I recaptured my solemn and imperious poise, lest I got carried away by the fellow, and jollied on regarding him with the stink-eye. “Wherefore this overreach? This infidelity then?” I interrogated.

“If you recollect, sir, at the New Years’ Ball, the Earl of Northumberland, the Lord Percy, made his passionate advances at the Lady Alexandra, hoping to court her,” he reminded me, “a most unfit match, sir.”

“Yes, I recall, a fathead of the highest order! Though a respectable man if one recuses the deficiency of any little grey cells. Made “Barmy” Phungy-Phipps look like that that Turing chappie! I’d let my daughter marry a bally Churchill before that cove, at least he would possess a functioning intellect! She warrants the exceptional and the extraordinary! Capital fellow that Turing lad though, sound cream-of-the-crop type what? Make a note to have him suitably rewarded. Governor-General of the Caribbean sounds a satisfying affair to add to a KCMG, methinks,” I rambled.

He coughed, as he did when I got diverted, and jollied me back to hand, “Well, sir, you had inquired if I wished recompense for that duty, sir.”

Realisation hit me like one of those new trains, and I slumped back like a bowlful of jelly into my chair. “So, this is to be your pound of flesh then, Shylock?” I questioned feebly. A gentleman knows when he is overcome, after all.

“Yes, sir,” he answered naturally.

“Not the straw hat? Or the purple cummerbund? Or even the dickie-tie?” I probed as my one final blow.

“No, sir. Those articles, deposited in your wardrobe by your adversaries, were disposed of by the SAS, sir,” he declared. One could see a slight smirk of triumph on him, or mayhap I was dreaming.

“Very well, Jeeves,” I sighed, “Now, rationalise your reasoning to me. I shan’t be a bally codfish like Eden was. We never grasped he was made for the Edwardian, not the Elizabethan, what? Home’s a cunning intellectual, I needs must have all armament against him. And I need discern details before Atlee comes barrelling through that door and lumps a brick or two or three at me.”

“Very good, sir,” he acquiesced, “shall I ask the Duke of Anglesey to come through, sir?”

“Blackadder? What in god’s name is he doing here?” I asked, stunned.

“If you peruse the list once more, sir, his name arrives second from the top, sir,” he explained, “after your own, sir.”

Now you see, this record we were so spiritedly mulling over was the Cabinet, the names and offices circulated in the gazetteer. Rum business this, but we Woosters know to take it on the chin and shove along.

“Gondolieri! Gondolieri!

Tra-la-la-la-la~!

Tra-la-la~la!...”

Came that din from the radio again. “Oh, and Jeeves? Turn that infernal nonsense Pinafore off, would you?”

“That is Gilbert and Sullivan, sir, as you accurately identified, sir,” he expounded, “however, it is their operatta named The Gondoliers, not H.M.S. Pinafore, sir.”

“Never mind The Gondoliers, Jeeves,” I spoke exasperatedly.

“No, sir,” he returned.

“Expunge The Gondoliers from your memory,” I maintained in an irritated tone.

“I have already done so, sir,” he asserted, as he strode to turn the radio off.

“Now let us debate this firstly, before you chuck in Blackadder,” I brought us back to the objective.

“Very good, sir,” he said sagaciously.

I have sought to remake the catalogue as best as I could hither.

Bertram Wooster, 1st Duke of Pembroke and Albany, 20th Lord Yaxley, etc.Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, First Lord of the Royal Treasury, Minister for the Civil Service and Minister for the Union of the Crowns.
Edmund Blackadder, 16th Duke of Anglesey, 19th Lord Blackadder, etc.Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Lord High Treasurer of Great Britain and Ireland, Second Lord of the Royal Treasury and Lord Chancellor of the Exchequer.
Clement Atlee, 1st Earl Atlee.Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain and Ireland.
Marmaduke Chuffnell, 3rd Earl Chuffnell, 9th Lord Chuffnell, etc.Lord President of the Council, Leader of the House of Lords, and Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal.
William Jowitt, 1st Earl Jowitt.Leader of the House of Commons and Lord President of the Board of Trade.
Sir Edgar Holmes, Bt.Secretary of State for the Home Department and Paymaster General.
Angela Glossop, Hon.Secretary of State in the Cabinet Office, Lord Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Postmaster General.
Sir Roderick Glossop, Bt.Secretary of State for Health and Social Welfare, Minister for the National Health Service and Deputy Leader of the House of Commons.
William Wedgewood-Benn, 1st Viscount Stansgate.Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth and Colonial Affairs and Secretary of State for Colonial Development.
Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Berwick, etc.First Lord of the Admiralty and Chief of Defence Staff.
John Crichton-Stuart, 6th Marquess Bute.Secretary of State for Scotland.
Richard Lloyd George, 2nd Earl Dwyfor.Secretary of State for Wales and Cornwall.
Gerald FitzGerald, 8th Duke Leinster.Secretary of State for Ireland, Mann, and the Isles.
Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Alamein.Secretary of State for Defence and War.
Sir Wilfrid Robarts, Q.C.Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chief Justiciar.
Sir Willam Royce, Bt.Secretary of State for Business, Industry, and Innovation.
George Crawley, 9th Earl Grantham.Secretary of State Housing and Development.
Martin Poole, 4th Marquess Branksome, 14th Lord Branksome, etc.Secretary of State for Transport
Sir Stephen Knight-Poole.Secretary of State for Culture, Media, Technology and Telecommunications
Sir Anthony II Hogmanay-Melchett.Secretary of State for the Air
Nancy Astor, Viscountess Astor.Secretary of State for Minority, Women’s, and Veterans’ Affairs
Sir Robert Bennington.Secretary of State for Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and Rural Affairs.
Secretary of State for Forestry and the Environment.
Sir Richard Cripps.Secretary of State for Public Works, Welfare, Labour, and Pensions.
Ellen WilkinsonSecretary of State for Education
William Hare, 5th Earl Listowel.Secretary of State for Energy and Fuel.
Secretary of State for National Service.
Henry Hornby-Harrison, 3rd Baron Harrison.Secretary of State for Urban Planning, Infrasturcture, and Local Government.
Sir Francis Urqhart, Bt.Government Chief Whip, Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Minister for the Cabinet Office.
Sir Ian Fleming.Minister for Internal and External Security.
Edwin Craye, 9th Earl Worplesdon.Attorney General for England, Wales, Mann and Cornwall.
Robert Little, Baron Bittlesham.Advocate General for Scotland and the Isles
Sir Alexander Prosser.Advocate General for Ireland and the Dominions in Britain.
Henri St. Laurent.Chief Secretary to the Treasury.
James Hacker.Minister without Portfolio

“Thirty-three positions! Ye Gods!” I cried, “Isn’t that a tad extreme, Jeeves?”

“There have been Prime Ministers with more extensive cabinets, sir” he specified, “this, however, encapsulates the utmost extent of governance, compressed into a constrained compendium of parliamentary representatives, sir.”

“But the dosh, Jeeves! The moolah, oof, spondoolik! Home will have my guts for garters tomorrow for expanding cabinet so much,” I sighed, “and yet, all positions seem crucial to me! And the volume of lords! I’ll be branded another Earl Grey! I had thought we were founding an equal society!”

“To answer both your enquiries, sir, several lords were preferred as they are of some substantial means and thus, much akin to yourself, may decline remuneration,” he elucidated, “perhaps, if you were to volunteer this information at the cabinet meeting this afternoon, they might be induced to correspond. It might serve us justifiably at question time to demonstrate that cabinet is extended but its expenses are significantly diminished.”

“Hmm, very well, I distinguish the crux of your argument, Jeeves,” I ruminated, “Our peoples merit the highest intensity of consideration in every field of governance. After all, they did not sacrifice so much in war to be deserted by their government in peace.”

“Precisely, sir,” he beamed.

“Blackadder?” I doubted, “I concur committedly with all others, but him?”

“A commendable intelligence, sir, if exceedingly ambitious,” he illuminated, “his youth and vigour, if charged to an undertaking that meets a trial, may prove a blessing that pays countless dividends, sir.”

“What inhibits him from booting me out of No. 10?” I demanded, “For it is assured he craves to reach higher and further. He descends from kings, don’t you know.”

“Your imperial relation, sir,” he grinned, “though royal prerogative has seldom, if ever, been employed since Queen Anne. It is your repute with the citizens of this country that would foil any overthrow. By advancing him the second-highest rank, you acknowledge his intellect and determination, and indicate to him you are princely with your bequests.”

“And how do I present rage at perfidy?” I solicited.

“I believe M. Clemenceau was educated of that fact by losing half his country’s empire and M. De Gaulle by becoming the pariah at Vienna, sir,” he smiled.

“Yes, well, I see the sense,” I shrugged, “Right ho then, bung in the blighter and let the tournament commence! God Save the Queen!”

“Very good, sir,” he bowed and went to let Blackadder in.

Good to see Blackadder survived going over the top for the big attack? How about Baldrick and Percy?

Also, wouldn't Melchett have been a better choice for the Army than the Airforce? Baaahh! Lord Flashheart is your man for all things to do with planes. Woof! Woof!

Let's hope that Urqhart chap does not push anyone around (especially on rooftops)

Last edited:
Robert is

Robert would be 90, but he is in any case dead, as George has succeeded to the title. Also, George is the 8th Earl.
Actually in this TL, he abdicates his title when George turned 21. So he's still alive, just old. Also I didn't know he was the 8th Earl! Thanks for letting me know!!
Good to see Blackadder survived going over the top for the big attack? How about Baldrick and Percy?
That Blackadder was a simple captain, this one is descended from Lord Blackadder of season 2. Baldrick is still alive and still serving Blackadder. I mention Percy in the update where Jeeves prevents him from making advances at Bertie's daughter.
Also, wouldn't Melchett have been a better choice for the Army than the Airforce? Baaahh!
This is General Melchett's son, who despises the army because of his incompetence in the Great War. So he turned to the air force.
Let's hope that Urqhart chap does not push anyone around (especially on rooftops)
Didn't think anyone would get that Easter egg! This is a bit too early for Francis but he seemed perfect for the job so he materialised for it. Francis is Francis though, if he pushed people off of ledges for the safety of government, we will never know. After all this update is written by Bertie in his memoirs.

Chp4
Excerpt from “Parliamentary History of the United Kingdom – Thomas Anderson, MBE”

Published Jan 2001. Issued for use in Matric Examinations.

Governments of the United Kingdom from after the mid-war election of 1915:

(1) 1915-1922 1st National Government.

Govt.- Liberal Party leadership (600 seats (370 Lib + 200 Con + 30 Lab)/670)

PM – (a) H. H. Asquith, the Earl of Oxford and Asquith. (1915-16).

(b) David Lloyd George, the Earl of Dwyfor. (1916-22).

(2) 1922-1924 Bonar Law I/Baldwin I Unionist Government.

Govt.- Conservative-Liberal Coalition (367 seats (267 Con + 100 Lib)/616)

PM – (a) Sir Andrew Bonar Law, KT. (1922-23).

(b) Stanley Baldwin, the Earl of Bewdley. (1923-24).

(3) Feb 1924 – Nov 1924 Macdonald I (Minority) Coalition.

Govt.- Labour-Liberal Coalition (306 seats (203 Lab + 103 Lib)/616)

PM – Sir Ramsay Macdonald, KG.

(4) 1924-1929 Baldwin II Unionist Government.

Govt.- Conservative-Liberal Coalition (410 seats (293 Con + 117 Lib)/615)

PM - Stanley Baldwin, the Earl of Bewdley.

(5) 1929-1933 2nd National Government.

Govt.- Labour-Conservative rotating premiership (607 seats (231 Lab + 231 Con + 145 Lib)/615)

PM – (a) Stanley Baldwin, the Earl of Bewdley. (1929-30; 1931-32).

(b) Sir Ramsay Macdonald, KG. (1930-31; 1932-33).

(6) 1933-1936 Baldwin III Unionist Government.

Govt.- Conservative-Liberal Coalition (432 seats (301 Con + 131 Lib/615)

PM – Stanley Baldwin, the Earl of Bewdley.

(7) 1936-1938 Chamberlain I Unionist Government.

Govt.- Conservative-Liberal Coalition (440 seats (270 Con + 170 Lib)/615)

PM - Sir Neville Chamberlain, KGCE, CH.

(8) Sept 1938 - Dec 1938 Chamberlain War Government.

Govt.- Conservative leadership (592 seats (270 Con + 170 Lib + 152 Lab)/615)

PM – Sir Neville Chamberlain, KGCE, CH. (Sept - Nov).

Acting PM Thomas Inskip, the Viscount Caldecote. (Nov - Dec).

(9) 1938-1948 3rd National Government.

Govt.- Conservative leadership (593 seats (270 Con + 170 Lib + 152(+1) Lab)/615)

PM - Anthony Eden, the Earl Athlone.

(10) 1948-1952 Atlee I Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- Labour-Liberal Progressive Coalition (455 seats (230 Lab + 225 LP/ 650)

PM - Clement Atlee, the Earl Atlee.

(11) 1952-1955 Eden I Minority Government

Govt.- Conservative minority with Independents/Minor Parties in Supply and Confidence (276 seats/650)

PM - Anthony Eden, the Earl Athlone.

(12) 1955-1960 Wooster I Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- Liberal-Labour Coalition (489 seats (302 Lib + 187 Lab)/650)

PM – Bertram Wooster, the Duke of Albany and Pembroke.

(13) 1960-1965 Wooster II Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- National Progressive Coalition [NPC] (502 seats/750)

(14) 1965-1970 Wooster III Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- NPC (477 seats/750)

(15) 1970-1976 Wooster IV Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- NPC (501 seats/750)

PM – Bertram Wooster, the Duke of Albany and Pembroke. (1970 - Dec 1975).

Acting PM Angela Glossop, Countess Brinkley. (Dec 1975 - Jan 1976).

(16) 1976-1980 Glossop I Social Democrat Government.

Govt.- NPC (406 seats/750)

PM - Angela Glossop, Countess Brinkley.

(17) 1980-1982 Thatcher I/Howe I/Tebbit I/Fawsley I Conservative Government

Govt.- Union Coalition (382 seats/750)

PM – (a) Margaret Thatcher, Baroness Thatcher. (Feb 1980 – Jan 1981).

(b) Geoffrey Howe, Baron Howe. (Jan 1981 – Mar 1981)

(c) Norman Tebbit, Baron Tebbit. (Mar 1981 – Mar 1981)

(d) Norman St. John-Stevas, Viscount Fawsley. (Mar 1981 – Mar 1982)

(18) 1982-1987 McKellen I Socialist Government.

Govt.- NPC (477 seats/750)

PM – Sir Ian McKellen.

(20) 1987-1990 Fawsley II Moderate Government.

Govt.- Union Coalition (376 seats/750)

PM – Norman St. John-Stevas, Viscount Fawsley.

(21) 1990-1992 Fawsley III Moderate Government.

Govt.- Union Coalition (388 seats/750)

PM – Norman St. John-Stevas, Viscount Fawsley.

(22) 1992-1997 McKellen II/Kinnock I Socialist Government.

Govt.- NPC (453 seats/750)

PM – (a) Sir Ian McKellen. (1992-94).

(b) Neil Kinnock, Baron Kinnock. (1994-97).

(23) 1997-Incumbent Kinnock II/Brown ISocial Labour Government.

Govt.- NPC (401 seats/750)

PM – (a) Neil Kinnock, Baron Kinnock (1997-2000)
(b) Sir Gordon Brown. (Incumbent since 2000)

Last edited:
Easter Eggs so far
Chapter 1
Sir Arnold and Sir Humphrey Appleby are from Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.
The Queen and Bertie are talking about QMs obsession with a book used by royals to seek suitable marriages. (I've forgot the name so if someone can clue me in, that would be great).
Chapter 2
Captain Darling is the writer of the Times editorial,
Chapter 3
As Jeeves says, the BBC are playing a performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Gondoliers" on the radio.
P.G. Wodehouse is Earl of Sidcup and Deverrill. Deverrill Hall is where Bertie helps out his friend Catsmeat.
Roderick Spode died from a heart attack because the media made a huge ruckus about "Eulalie". If you know, you know.
Alexandra Wilhemine Mary is Bertie's eldest daughter and his favourite. She goes on to marry Louis Ferdinand von Hohenzollern, King of Brandenburg-Prussia. Germany after the war is a restored federal empire with Otto von Habsburg as Deutsches Kaiser. Some sub-national entities also restored their monarchies at the same time, e.g. Prussia.
Bertie knows of Alan Turing's homosexuality and saved him from media-lynching (even though homosexuality is legal in this TL, attitudes are still unfavourable) and its why he thinks of the Caribbean as a suitable place for the man to retire with his partner.
The Lord Blackadder in this TL is descended from Lord Blackadder of Season 2, though we never learn his true titles, I jogged my imagination a bit.
Jeeves is a staunch traditionalist in some respects, so some old positions are revived from the dead in this TL.
It is only because Bertie is so closely related to the Firm that he is allowed to impinge on royal prerogative to appoint a deputy PM. His relation does cause a media scandal which leads to public backlash for the media because he is so popular.
Sir Edgar Holmes is the son of Mycroft Holmes and is therefore given an appropriately useful ministry.
Sir Wilfrid Robarts is from Agatha Christie's famous "A Witness for the Prosecution".
George Crawley is the son of Lady Mary Crawley from Downton Abbey.
Martin Poole and Stephen Knight-Poole are lovers. They are from a wonderful gay novel I read called "Noblesse Oblige". Again, Jeeves and therefore Bertie know about this and their appointment is a way to signal to the queer community that the Liberal Progressive do not discriminate on sexual orientation.
Anthony II Melchett is the son of General Melchett, who hates the army because his father led so many men to death.
Robert Bennington is a sketch persona developed by Rowan Atkinson.
Henry Hornby-Harrison is from one of my unpublished TLs where his family has been making model train toys for 3 generations.
Sir Francis Urqhart is, of course, from the famous novel and television series called "House of Cards" and brilliantly played by Sir Ian Richardson.
We all know Ian Fleming but in this TL just a few months in, he insults Nancy Astor by making misogynistic comments in Parliament and so is replaced with Sir Christopher Lee.
Henri St. Laurent is from another one of my unpublished TLs where he becomes the Prime Minister of France who gave up Alsace.
Jim Hacker is, again, the protagonist from Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.
The Earl Grey is famous for having the most nepotistic and aristocratic government in British history.
Chapter 4
Thomas Anderson is, of course, @Thande.
OTL Norman Stevas is only made Baron Fawsley. But @iainbhx has him as Viscount Fawsley in his Azureverse TL which i absolutely adore, so he's made Viscount here too.
Ian McKellen is the first openly gay PM in British history and is famous for legalising gay marriage.
Gordon Brown is a knight before premiership because he's made eye opening documentaries about French neo-colonialism in Africa.

Vignette 1
AHC Vignette “Reconcilliation”

The short Christmas Address of 1932 to the Joint Session of the Parliament of the Union of India by Governor-General Lord Yaxley on behalf of the King-Emperor His Imperial Majesty George V. Broadcast live on All-India Radio (AIR).

“Honourable members of the Chamber of Princes, Delegates of the Chamber of Peoples, I address this joint session this final time as His Imperial Majesty’s vicegerent, with gladness and sorrow in equal measure. As I cogitate on my term as Viceroy and Governor-General, I profess that I am profoundly indebted for the co-operation of so many of the now members of Parliament in advancing in a triumphant transition to comprehensive democratic franchise. I contemplate on the ordeals and miseries that countless admitting allegiances to His Imperial Majesty’s Empire in India wrought upon his subjects for wanton avarice, gluttony, and xenophobic belief. I reflect on the persevering legacy of India throughout the world and its newfound beginning in the Imperial family of the Commonwealth.

I declaim now, a despatch from His Imperial Majesty, George V, Emperor of India. “To our treasured peoples of the noble subcontinent, be welcome to our boundless family. As King and Emperor, we accord India, in our heart, an unparalleled place of renown, much as her sister Dominions throughout the world. We are privileged to have visited India not so long ago and glimpsed her myriad features and beauty supreme. Our affection has only matured for India since our visit two decades ago and we are prided to call on the respected support and fidelity of India to the Crown. In the Delhi Durbar of 1911, we glimpsed the abundance of culture and substance within India, the majesty and eminence, the unison of resolve, the celebration of diversity and the overarching awareness of congruence. Our encounters with the peoples, both noble and common, defined the yearning and fortitude to once more achieve the fortune that so many years ago drew all to its shores. We likewise followed the colossal potential of India to be a power to outrank all others around it, by sheer intensity of its talent and skill. India has multiplied from strength to strength unwavering in its determination to reach the pinnacle of achievement and we are pleased and eager to stand with India on that journey. From the farmer tilling the earth, the cowhand herding the flock, the miller gritting grist, the weaver shuttling the loom, the merchant plying the craft, we have seen the concert of India’s purpose. We have realised the sacrifice, and we have grasped India’s ascent as a phoenix, more magnificent in its renaissance. We received numerous presents from the people we encountered, all of which we treasure sincerely in our spirit. We pray to Almighty God, that He may bestow the nation vigour beyond measure and the capacity to attain the numerous hopes we share for India’s bright and glorious outlook. We pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest on the counsels of its Parliament. From the Imperial Family we relay many addresses of thanks for the love and many greetings still for the season of Christmas. Christ, it is said, suffered deeply for our sake so that we may flourish grander under his aegis. India has demonstrated irrevocably that this lesson of resilience is exceptionally all-encompassing. In the people of India, we are reminded of God’s chosen people, thrust into thraldom and servility by the Babylonians, risen once more under the Crown to declare their noblesse. May it be that the change in the air convey our subjects much pleasure and prosperity. We wish you all a Happy Christmas!”

Christmas is a season of giving, of charity, of the opening of the vault of human kindness that is shut for the remainder of the year. It is a period for joy and commemoration and a time for open rumination. At the beginning of this century, this decade even, our association was fraught with dissonance and desolation, with odium and diffidence, with distrust at duplicity, and wrath at persecution. To have come so far in companionship is a triumph unto itself, perhaps the utmost we shall know this century.

‘Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him – James 1:12.’ India has borne its burden. All tests put before it, it has surpassed with flying colours. Now, India meets its tryst with destiny, made many years ago, it awoke to life and love, as sworn by Almighty God. Forged in the flames of endurance, the metal of her make is immeasurably fierce, such that the only way onward for her its to take her children up and beyond, into the light of utopia.

‘If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness – John 1:9.’ Governing on this seat of majesty, sceptr’d to power, I am one to shoulder all the intemperance of my antecedents. They made countless blunders, with or without malicious intent is now moot. They acted much anguish and misery and as the last of their number, I must bear the weight of their innumerable misdeeds. Therefore, from the peoples of this country, on theirs and my own behalf, for sake of resolution and the comfort of my soul, I shall bid humble absolution. I hope, in the image of the Lord God, India and her sons and daughters are as swift to love and reconciliation, as they are measured to ire. After all, as Krishna declared to Arjuna, ‘Serenity of thought, gentleness, silence, self-control, and purity of purpose—all these are declared as austerity of the mind – Gita 17:16’

‘There are three gates leading to the hell of self-destruction for the soul—lust, anger, and greed. Therefore, one should abandon all three – Gita 16:21.’ The greed of the East India Company, the lust of one Clive and the anger of a Nawab of Bengal, brought the destruction of livelihood to millions, now it has been restored, at long last. I hope this verse the government shall keep to mind as India’s vivid future unfolds.

‘When they continued to question Him, He straightened up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her” – John 8:7.’ As I have held, I am not devoid of transgressions, premeditated or otherwise, so I make no sermon on rectitude, however, let those who would indict me of avarice or arrogance bear these words of Christ the Lord in observance.

I shall extend sincere apologies to all men, women and children, their relations of all kinds, and those around them, for the vile conduct of Reginald Dyer in Amritsar. Naught an unmake the damage caused, yet this open wound festering would persist to distress the fabric of India’s potential by haunting it from its history. Pardon for such a hideous wrongdoing is not easily given, that is well-understood, but to make no apology would be an even more heinous crime. Dyer is dead, and it is to the Lord God to punish him, thus, to let not his actions poison the bond of Crown and Country, I am extremely sorry. May our reciprocal respect and alliance grow as the star of David’s scion rises in the sky, and alike to him, flourish unlimited in spirit, body and deed.

As my parting thought, I pray that Almighty God bless the counsels you keep and the thoughts and wishes within you for this illustrious nation. I wish you all, a very Happy Christmas. Perhaps one day I shall return to India and see the dream of my mind’s eye realised. By your hands. God bless you all and God Save the King!”

Chp5
Boo Hoo with Knobs on!

3rd of May 1955

“Good afternoon! This is the BBC Radio and today we bring you a first! The recording of Her Majesty the Queen’s Speech at the State Opening of Parliament! This address summarises the objectives and programs of Her Majesty’s Government over the course of the full year’s parliamentary session. This year, however, the government has proclaimed a litany of measures that would demand further than a full government’s term. It seems the government is expecting to gain further terms in office, then. It has, by our assessors, been named the lengthiest speech by a monarch in living memory. It appears that the government’s programme of work is lengthy but vital. It seems warranted then, that the government has compressed Parliamentary Recesses significantly and augmented the general time that Parliament is in session. As Lord Yaxley himself would put it, ‘The MPs earn far too much to lounge about the place like it’s a bally sanatorium!’ Now, we bring you the excerpts.”

“My lords, pray be seated.”

“Mr Speaker, the Queen commands this honourable House, to attend Her Majesty immediately in the honourable House of Peers!”

“My lords, and members of the House of Commons, it gives me great joy to know that the people will now be privy to a greater part of this ceremony of the State Opening of Parliament. Therefore, I would convey my best wishes to everyone that will hear this speech on the BBC. my husband and I are most enthused to begin a tour of the Commonwealth next month and over the next three years. We shall first go to Ottawa to open the Parliament of Canada and tour the country from Halifax to Vancouver. On then we shall go to Georgetown and Kingston in the Caribbean. We shall return here for the Christmas season and continue our tour, laying the foundation stones for Meridia in West Africa and Equatoria in East Africa. After Trooping of the Colour, we shall go on to Salisbury and Cape Town to open their Parliaments. The year after that, we shall travel for a tour of India, Malaya and Hong Kong, ending with our Australasian Dominions. I also look forward to the Prime Minister’s Conference to be held in December for our Commonwealth.

My lords, and members of the House of Commons,

On Fiduciary Duty.

My government will aim to modernise the system of collection of taxes of all kind, lowering pursuant bureaucracy and correspondence on either side. For this, legislation will be put forth for a Goods and Services Tax as an all-comprehensive substitution for inconsistent tariff and tax regimes. This will lessen the liability of tax on the consumer and grant an extensive berth of assessable goods and services. It will also propose legislation for regulation of accompanying administrative obligations for tax collection and processing.

My government will aim to progress to a progressive tax structure. Therefore, legislation will be put forth to create apt grades of taxable income, profit, dividends, inheritances, and gross revenue. It will also advance legislation for rebates correlated with this system based on extenuating circumstances.

My government will initiate legislation for a Land Value Tax to be imposed on the land as it aspires to move to a progressive tax regime. This will also comprise in shrinking the tax burden on the common person whilst guaranteeing, wealthy or impoverished, everyone pays their fair share.

My government will announce legislation to establish a Royal Commission to examine, counsel and guide on duties to be levied or eliminated and the procedures allied with them.

My government will propose legislation for a regulating body to enforce the law and confirm that every individual matches their obligation. It will certify that in this bill, checks and balances are presented such that defraudment or abuse of agency is unattainable for this body by distinctly bounding their jurisdiction and functions.

My government will institute legislation to certify that fraud by creative accountancy, corruption and nepotism, usage of constitutional position, usage of offshore finance refuges, pyramid and Ponzi schemes, by banks, individuals and businesses of all kinds, and supplementary accompanying misconducts are befittingly monitored, penalised and disallowed.

My government will construct legislation pursuant the institution of a regime of Universal Basic Income for all individuals to secure that no citizen continues deprived of the capacity to obtain their essential necessities.

My government will present legislation to expand security measures in banking and stockbroking, involving on controlling of speculative bidding and high fractional banking quotas. This legislation will incorporate actions to strengthen the security of banks and their vaults to confirm that public confidence in banks remains robust and their monies safeguarded.

My government will bring in legislation for a Royal Commission to question societies, charitable and not, to guarantee no confidence tricks are exercised in elusion of public duties.

My government will maintain pursuing the advancement and development of the Sterling Area to as many well-disposed nations as feasible and proceed to fiat currency standards with the Pound Sterling.

My government will continue to engender further accord in the Commonwealth Common Market heading legislation for statutes and laws on tariffs, trades, commerce and transfer of goods and services throughout the Commonwealth.

My government will propose legislation on authorising a universal national living wage for all individuals in employ, to be amended every year by an observer body, to make certain they are not left uncared for to meet fundamental requirements.

On Infrastructure

My government will initiate legislation to construct additional independent bodies in public-private partnership for British railways, safeguarding that a majority interest remains in public hands. It will also advance an accrediting organisation for private enterprises to bid for and participate with British Rail on services provided to enhance the quality and fee of the facilities. Protective instruments to reinforce that all services continue to be supported with satisfactory quality and fee will be stressed in this legislation.

My government will persist in the implementation of the Grantham Commission’s recommendations previously discontinued. Legislation will be submitted for a system of comprehensive social housing to promise every household, by government grant or by personal wealth, a protected, warm, and comfortable residence.

My government will initiate legislation to nationalise private airlines, airports and airways and found a department for civil aviation. It will also ensure that air travel is made accessible where it persists to be the lone offered mode of transportation.

My government will propose legislation to establish general and explicit criteria for health and safety in public and private services of all kinds to guarantee the maximum standards of health and safety are maintained throughout the nation.

My government will announce legislation to certify all peoples, numerous or limited in community, throughout the United Kingdom and her dependent territories are connected by roads, rails, telegraph, radio, telephone, television, electricity, water and sewage wherever possible and appropriate.

My government will initiate legislation for disaster and emergency response, establishing funds and shelters for natural or manmade emergencies.

My government will with renewed vigour continue building hospitals and medical clinics, such that every British citizen has access to free universal healthcare throughout their life. For this, legislation will be put forth to propose a National Insurance levy, to be funded by individuals and employers in their wages.

My government will endure in the implementation of Education Act of 1953. It will bring in legislation to swell the remit of the aforementioned statute, guaranteeing that all citizens of the United Kingdom can avail of universal, free, and high-quality instruction by the construction of schools, universities, and colleges. It will ensure abundant spaces for vocational, theoretical, and practical schooling are offered.

My government will institute legislation to improve protection and incomes in mines and collieries, and in factories and mills, safeguarding those at the fore of keeping this nation running.

My ministers will present comprehensive legislation to reinforce and compound environmental protections and pollution controls, establishing firm directives and regulations for sustainable practices to ensure our future generations may appreciate the bounty of our country in alike degree to ourselves.

My government will advance legislation to ensure acceptable public transportation is offered – of superior quality, minimal fee, and extensive connectivity. It will found an autonomous agency to make recommendations, survey and draw up proposals pursuant of this noble goal.

My government in introduce legislation to launch a Royal Commission to pursue exploration into substitutions and alternatives for power generation to moderate the country’s extensive dependency on crude oil and coal.

My government will resume the discharge of the Electrification Act of 1954 to guarantee that all railway, tramway and trolley infrastructure is correctly electrified.

My government will institute a review authority to ensure all bridges, weirs, dams, roads, walls, rails and transfer infrastructure are kept up to satisfactory standards in agreement with the Standards Act of 1948.

On Defence.

My government will establish a Department of Research for the Armed Forces to ensure that the United Kingdom remains at the forefront of its defence expertise.

My government will ensure sufficient funding for revising and revitalisation of equipment afforded to the Armed Forces.

My government will resume the study into Nuclear Energy for peaceful and defence purposes.

My government will continue to pursue mutual research, training and exercise with the realms of the Commonwealth.

My government will expand the budget available to the Armed Forces to aid it in continuing our role as a guarantor of freedom and democracy throughout the world.

On Public Order.

My government will announce legislation to control and classify powers of Royal Constabulary to inhibit exploitation of authority.

My government will propose legislation to combine obsolete and disparate police forces into appropriate bodies to ensure proficiency in pursuing and punishing crime is retained.

My government will introduce legislation to consolidate the Right to Privacy guaranteeing that sexual orientation, colour, race, religion, creed and sex cannot endure as a means of discrimination or invasive actions against any individuals.

My government will introduce legislation to strengthen the Rights to Protest and Information to increase public involvement in governance and democratic accountability.

My government will pioneer legislation to avert, monitor and penalise insider trading, ensuring no undue advantage is afforded to any individual in public markets.

On Social Policies.

My ministers will announce legislation to outline rules and regulations for all buildings, facilities, and services on treating with people with special needs ensuring no one is left uncared for.

My government will put forward legislation to confirm that peoples of ability and genius are able to arrive in and pursue prosperity within the United Kingdom.

My government will present legislation to lower the wage inequality and ensure a greater volume of women are able and inclined the join the labour force. Pursuant of this the legislation will contain directives for obligations for childcare and maternity leave.

My government will propose legislation to institute a standard for a core curriculum of education.

My government will initiate legislation to additionally emancipate homosexual peoples ensuring their ability to live and pursue life as heterosexual peoples do.

My government will introduce legislation for heightened security of children against harm, physical or psychological. It will create a body to supply social services to the public in pursuit of this.

My government will propose legislation for a greater liberty of expression to ensure no expurgation may inhibit anyone from asserting opposition or acceptance in a secure mode.

My government will establish an agency to regulate, monitor and decrease pollution and ecological dilapidation or injury, therefore, it will offer legislation for an environmental protection agency to foster the flora and fauna of the United Kingdom and diminish the effects of contamination on the environment.

My government will create a scientific body to police and improve food and nutritional standards for the public. It will thus put forth legislation drawing the standards to adhere to and the abilities of this governing body.

On Foreign Policy.

My government will persist to foster deeper ties and greater amalgamation with the Commonwealth.

My government will maintain aid to the Constituent Assemblies of the East African, West African and Malayan Federations and the Government of Hong Kong to certify thorough transition to democratic franchise and self-rule is accomplished.

My government will persist in practicing amicable contact with Europe and continue to further confirm covenants of free trade with continental powers.

On Domestic Affairs.

My government will examine the Atlee Commission on Federalisation to certify all constituent parliaments are sufficiently represented and furnished applicable faculties to ensure smooth and democratic governance.

My government will present legislation to establish a Constitutional Convention to sanctify and develop the composition of the British Constitution. It is appreciated this is an arduous and extensive undertaking and thus the government will confirm that a Royal Commission is launched to propose enhancements and amendments to assorted sections of the British System of Government.

My government will initiate legislation on land reform to amend and develop land use ensuring greater self-sufficiency for the United Kingdom and better income for its farmers.

My government will present legislation to put forth a public referendum on voting systems. It will pursue to make Parliament more representative by exploring for a system of proportional representation. It will also advance legislation on expanding representation by establishing an independent board to assess constituency boundaries and increase or decrease seats in Parliament consequently.

My government will pioneer legislation to secure and boost the sovereignty of the Bank of England to safeguard financial stability.

My government will advance legislation to entrench the autonomy of the courts by forming a Supreme Court for the United Kingdom for cases criminal and civil.

My government will propose legislation to expand individual MP accountability by confirming that attendance is maximalised and expenses by members is restricted. It will also establish an autonomous commission to evaluate every MP’s contribution and conduct ensuring MPs perform their duty of public service honourably.

My government will present legislation to better democratic franchise by ensuring a broader berth for referenda and plebiscites, and a greater public engagement by consideration of a larger extent of petitions in Parliaments.

“Members of the House of Commons estimates for the public services will be laid before you. My lords and members of the House of Commons, other measures will be laid before you. I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.”

“And there it is. Underneath the ceremony and pageantry of the State Opening, much and more is pledged. It seems as if the government is on the warpath! It is also clear from several older MPs that the language has be suitably simplified to make absolutely certain that the largest proportion of our population understands the government’s agenda and offers its opinion on it. We hope along with Her Majesty that God may grant the government good wisdom and bless their counsels for a brighter future. God Save the Queen!”

UPDATE #2 Electric Boogaloo
I'm not dead and neither is this fic, its actually expanded in scope. there's a mega update coming sometime this week. Turns out when you write a chapter of an in timeline history text, you can get carried away. Thanks for reading and bearing with me! I'm more than happy to hear from you

An interesting timeline here alright. Looks like there's a lot of success for Wooster in the future. Do enjoy seeing characters applied to alternate history like this and had fun doing it myself.