Is it possible for an American president to be married to a British or Cananadian PM?

AS above would it be possible to have a situation where the person in the White House and N10 Downing Street be a couple?
What might be the implications of such a union be in international relations?
If not, what high rank in the British or Canadian government would be conceivable for the spouse of the POTUS, if any?
Perhaps a Governor-General of Canada/AU/NZ.

I'm not sure you can arrange two political careers to make that credible. Running for either office, let alone winning, is a big undertaking. Whose career is going to get set aside?

If it's after they take office...:eek: I can just see the Chiefs of Staff of both people saying, "Are you nuts?!":eek: (It's not like real life in any way resembles "The American President".:p However Bozo-like Dan Quayle & W. may've been.:p)

I'm not sure you can arrange two political careers to make that credible. Running for either office, let alone winning, is a big undertaking. Whose career is going to get set aside?

If it's after they take office...:eek: I can just see the Chiefs of Staff of both people saying, "Are you nuts?!":eek: (It's not like real life in any way resembles "The American President".:p However Bozo-like Dan Quayle & W. may've been.:p)

POD: Nancy Reagan and Dennis Thatcher run off together. Heartbroken, Ron and Mags find solace in one another's arms, and...No? Oh, well....

POD: Nancy Reagan and Dennis Thatcher run off together. Heartbroken, Ron and Mags find solace in one another's arms, and...No? Oh, well....

And then in Wars of Cold S3 Ep9 "The Rains of the Falklands" Argentinians funded by radicals in Gorbachev's government murder them at their wedding. This is dubbed the "Red Wedding" because, you know, communism. Reagan's last words are "tear down this wall", so Gorbachev tears down the Berlin wall, releasing hordes of Russian "White Walkers". These are of course the long dead opposers to the Red Army, and they subsequently tear through Europe, killing all in their path. Now, only George H.W. Bush and the red witch Barbarasandre can stop them. Read more in "A Song of Sickles and Stars"

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Yes, but it's gonna be hard to sync both terms of office up and convince voters that it would be a good idea to vote for someone who's significant other rules a nation.

PM David Cameron and President Hilary Clinton
PM Julia Gillard and President Barack Obama
PM Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir and President Hilary Clinton
PM Helle Thorning-Schmidt and PM Cameron or President Obama

And then in Wars of Cold S3 Ep9 "The Rains of the Falklands" Argentinians funded by radicals in Gorbachev's government murder them at their wedding. This is dubbed the "Red Wedding" because, you know, communism. Reagan's last words are "tear down this wall", so Gorbachev tears down the Berlin wall, releasing hordes of Russian "White Walkers". These are of course the long dead opposers to the Red Army, and they subsequently tear through Europe, killing all in their path. Now, only George H.W. Bush and the red witch Barbarasandre can stop them. Read more in "A Song of Sickles and Stars"

Ooh, I like that idea... :p

Messy demise needed...

I can't see the president or vice president married to a foreign national at all; that would make him/her unelectable in the USA, IMVHO. But, someone further down the hierachy, in a post with few foreign policy implications, perhaps could marry an MP. (Canada might be easier, if the couple lived close together and knew each other since forever.)

Said MP ends up as Prime Minister over time.

Now a large scale messy demise in the USA results in, say, the Secretary of Education becoming President, and there you have it...

OK what about a somewhat more plausible situation. The unmarried US ambassador to Britain falls in love with and eventually marries a divorced woman working for the British Foreign office. After six years they separate but never formally divorce "because of the children". Subsequently, both continue with their respective political careers, leading eventually to the US Ambassador becoming the Democratic candidate for President, while his estranged former wife is now head of the Conservative Party and in line to become PM in the next election (polls predict a likely Conservative victory).

How would the one-time marriage of these two people play in their respective national elections? How would Britons and Americans see this?