"Hipster" PMs and Presidents Thread

Don't forget Louis St. Laurent II, grandson of Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent. Currently serves as an Attorney in Florida, but still has deep roots in both Quebec and the Liberal Party. A few changes to OTL and who knows, he could conceivably be a prominent cabinet minister or such in a possible TL. Move over Trudeau's, and make way for the St. Laurent's.

Hell, he's got the making to be a Florida politician. He ran for the state house as a Republican in 1966 and worked on various campaigns after that.

I'm gonna offer one up for Australia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enid_Lyons
Dame Enid Lyons, wife of former Prime Minister, and Premier of Tasmania, Joseph Lyons.
She was made Dame Grand Cross of the OBE in 1937, and was elected in 1943 as the United Australia, and later Liberal MP for the Tasmanian seat of Darwin.
It was said that she despised Robert Menzies (who succeeded Mr. Lyons as UAP leader), as she felt that he had backstabbed her husband by resigning from Cabinet shortly before his death.
Say that she got enough support from UAP or Liberal MPs by promising to continue the policies of her deceased husband, and challenged Menzies for leadership, and won. She would have become Prime Minister in the 1949 election, and the first female Prime Minister in Australia (and in the world, I believe).

Otto Jelinek would be a really interesting alt-PM. If Mulroney lost in 1988, I’d think he could be a dark horse choice for the leadership.

Adam C. Powell Jr could make for a earlier Black Democratic President.
A congressman who ended with more than two decades in the house, a Pastor, mixed race and an internationalist as well.
He did however display some corruption in the end of his career.
A step for him to have a chance might be to get into the NY senate, perhaps if Dem senator Herbert H. Lehman gets wiped out in 1950 resulting in a republican incumbent for him to go up against.
Should civil rights be achieved earlier his path to the presidency could be easier as well.

Now thats some charisma.

Rex Bell (born George Francis Beldam) was the Lieutenant Governor of Nevada, but he's probably more interesting for the fact that he was Clara Bow's husband, and he appeared in a number of mediocre Westerns from the late 1920s to the 1940s, with his last film role being in The Misfits with Marilyn Monroe. I'm not sure how to make him President, but he might be fun as a Republican actor president very early on.

Rex Bell (born George Francis Beldam) was the Lieutenant Governor of Nevada, but he's probably more interesting for the fact that he was Clara Bow's husband, and he appeared in a number of mediocre Westerns from the late 1920s to the 1940s, with his last film role being in The Misfits with Marilyn Monroe. I'm not sure how to make him President, but he might be fun as a Republican actor president very early on.
What a strange political career. I too want to leave a successful movie career to be Lieutenant Governor.

Would it be plausible for him to get the Republican nomination the US Senate in 1946 rather than George W. Malone, then go on to win the seat? It'd be a good springboard.

Do you happen to know, though, if he was a conservative or a liberal/moderate Republican? That could effect when and how he gets nominated for POTUS or VPOTUS.

Bulldoggus

Banned
Madison Grant (1865-1937) was an American Conservationist. A close friend of President Theodore Roosevelt, his work is credited for saving many species. But that's not what he's known for, of course. In his book "The Passing of the Great Race," Grant argued that the "Nordic Race" was the key race behind much of the development of Human Civilization. He stated that the Nordic Race was committing "Racial Suicide" through miscegenation. An avid Eugenicist, Grant advocated for
A rigid system of selection through the elimination of those who are weak or unfit—in other words social failures—would solve the whole question in one hundred years, as well as enable us to get rid of the undesirables who crowd our jails, hospitals, and insane asylums. The individual himself can be nourished, educated and protected by the community during his lifetime, but the state through sterilization must see to it that his line stops with him, or else future generations will be cursed with an ever increasing load of misguided sentimentalism. This is a practical, merciful, and inevitable solution of the whole problem, and can be applied to an ever widening circle of social discards, beginning always with the criminal, the diseased, and the insane, and extending gradually to types which may be called weaklings rather than defectives, and perhaps ultimately to worthless race types
Grant also advocated for the Immigration Act of 1920, because of course he did.

Lothrop Stoddard (1883-1950) was another eugenicist, and a disciple and correspondent of Grant. He wrote the book "The Rising Tide of Color Against White World Supremacy," which was oddly predictive of many things, namely that the European Empires would collapse, that the Japanese Empire would become a major world power, and that radical Islamism would rise as an ideology. Of course, he was also a Klansman and a Nazi sympathizer. Also, F. Scott Fitzgerald made a thinly-veiled reference to him in "The Great Gatsby."

Madison Grant (1865-1937) was an American Conservationist. A close friend of President Theodore Roosevelt, his work is credited for saving many species. But that's not what he's known for, of course. In his book "The Passing of the Great Race," Grant argued that the "Nordic Race" was the key race behind much of the development of Human Civilization. He stated that the Nordic Race was committing "Racial Suicide" through miscegenation. An avid Eugenicist, Grant advocated for

Grant also advocated for the Immigration Act of 1920, because of course he did.

Lothrop Stoddard (1883-1950) was another eugenicist, and a disciple and correspondent of Grant. He wrote the book "The Rising Tide of Color Against White World Supremacy," which was oddly predictive of many things, namely that the European Empires would collapse, that the Japanese Empire would become a major world power, and that radical Islamism would rise as an ideology. Of course, he was also a Klansman and a Nazi sympathizer. Also, F. Scott Fitzgerald made a thinly-veiled reference to him in "The Great Gatsby."
I wondered if you were going to bring up the reference in Gatsby right through to the point when you did :)

Leon Abbett (1836-1894) was one of nine people in history to have the nickname "the Great Commoner." As the Democratic governor of New Jersey from 1884-1887 and 1890-1893, he outlawed Pinkertons and yellow dog contracts, introduced landmark labor regulation, established the secret ballot, and increased civil rights protections. When he ran for Senate in 1887, he lost to fellow Democrat Rufus Blodgett by a margin of just two votes in the state legislature due in large part to the opposition of railroad companies. Popular among both farmers and urban laborers, if he had gotten into the Senate and lived a little longer, he could serve as a replacement to William Jennings Bryan in 1896 that can get into the White House by winning some Northern states.

Also, this list got me reading about Claiborn Pell (1918-2009), considered the "the least electable man in America" by JFK, but nonetheless served as Rhode Island Senator from 1961-1997, notably defeating John Chafee for reelection in 1972. He's most famous for his various eccentricities, including a belief in the paranormal, displaying himself as an average Joe despite getting his political start as a private secretary to his father (Herbert Pell, a former congressman and diplomat), an allegation of being arrested at a gay bar, and an infamous 1974 meeting with Fidel Castro, in which he stole a cigar from Castro's hands, thinking that it was a gift, but the dictator was really lighting it for himself to smoke. Politically, he was a liberal Democrat who served as chair of the Foreign Relations Committee from 1987-1995 and advocated for a very dovish and anti-nuclear weapons policy. Today, he is most notable as the namesake of the Pell Grant.

Last edited:
Althea Garrison was a trans state legislator in Massachusetts during the 1990s as a Republican, though she changed party affiliation from time to time. While voting with the Democrats on labor issues, she opposed abortion and same-sex marriage. She was outed by the press, and I've heard that sunk her political career. She was the first trans person to be elected to a state legislature. I don't know how you can make her president, but you can make her a serious politician instead of the perennial candidate she is today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Althea_Garrison

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's been much stuff with G. Harrold Carswell. A judge who Nixon tried and failed to appoint to the Supreme Court, Carswell ran for the Senate in Florida almost immediately after his nomination was rejected, and ran a staunchly conservative and populist campaign that, if he won, I can imagine would've served him well in 1976 or 1980.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's been much stuff with G. Harrold Carswell. A judge who Nixon tried and failed to appoint to the Supreme Court, Carswell ran for the Senate in Florida almost immediately after his nomination was rejected, and ran a staunchly conservative and populist campaign that, if he won, I can imagine would've served him well in 1976 or 1980.

He is the source of one of my favorite "you aren't helping his case" quotes in, like, all of US history.

In defense against charges that Carswell was "mediocre", U.S. Senator Roman Hruska, a Nebraska Republican, stated:

"Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they, and a little chance? We can't have all Brandeises, Frankfurters and Cardozos."

Like, damn Hruska, did you really think that would help him? Were you trying to publicly support him because Nixon nominated him, but also trying to sink him at the same time?

Last edited:
He is the source of one of my favorite "you aren't helping his case" quotes in, like, all of US history.

Like, damn Carswell, did you really think that would help him? Were you trying to publicly support him because Nixon nominated him, but also trying to sink him at the same time?
Mediocre people have to stick together, man.

Like, damn Carswell, did you really think that would help him? Were you trying to publicly support him because Nixon nominated him, but also trying to sink him at the same time?
I also love how all the competent justices he named were famously liberal.

I also love how all the competent justices he named were famously liberal.

On second look, all three were of Jewish descent (and all except Cardozo had their families come relatively recently). I don't want to imply anything about Hruska, but it is something to note.