Hanseatic (East/West) India Company?

Looking over one of my old topics, I had asked if it was possible for the Hanseatic League to revive by the 16th century. I was told it was rather impossible given the fact it was more an alliance than a state, and was essentially on life support. In the PoP I'm leaning towards a unified Germany (it's still quite a ways off), and one idea was a Hanse inspired company ala the East India companies playing an important role. I think the connection to the Hanse would be name only, with the company being founded by radical and entrepreneurial merchants based in say, Hamburg or Emden (although probably Hamburg) who have been shut out of joining the League.

Would something such as this be possible? How would it pique Imperial interest? When it kicks off, it's sure to invoke ire -- one interesting question is the Dutch. Do they start their own trading and mercantile companies and compete, try to work together, or work in separate spheres, with the Hanseatic Company focusing on say, N. America while another focuses on Africa? Or could there even be an even weirder hybrid from the start? Disgruntled German and Dutch merchants, tired of the Hanse, the state of tolls within the empire, ect? Am I just rambling? Even with the empire not yet unified, possessing the Low Countries as a whole, Bohemia, and Austria does give the Emperor a significant power base. While any company might look for local support first, I think big bucks would lead them to the court.

Or am I just ramblingl on making no sense what so ever?

You need a *very* early PoD to have the County of Holland or its cities inside the HL. But the cities along the IJssel, like Doesburg, Deventer, Zwolle or Kampen were important members. Keeping the Duchy of Geldern and the Oversticht of Utrecht (today Overijssel and Drenthe) out of Burgundian hands might help. Before 1548 both areas were in the Westphalian Circle, not the Burgundian one.

Lower_Rhenish-Westphalian_Circle-2005-10-15-de.png

But the main problem is this, IMO: The emperor will not license the overseas trade to the HL, because as a Habsburg he will respect the Spanish cousin's claim to all of it. And 1640, when it is politically possible to have the HL trade in the Portuguese parts, is really late.

Protestant princes inside the HRE would have no such qualms. But why should they support the HL instead of starting out on their own?

One vague possibility: Christian IV of Denmark does everything right and has lots of luck. 1626 has him victoious in Germany, he annexes the Archbishoprics of Bremen (plus Verden) and Magdeburg (plus Halberstadt) and for some reason decides to base new colonial adventures from Hamburg and Bremen in the name of the HL.

Gustavus Adolphus lives for longer, and consolidates Swedish/Protestant power in northern Germany. This company is then promoted by one of his successors.

But the cities along the IJssel, like Doesburg, Deventer, Zwolle or Kampen were important members. Keeping the Duchy of Geldern and the Oversticht of Utrecht (today Overijssel and Drenthe) out of Burgundian hands might help. Before 1548 both areas were in the Westphalian Circle, not the Burgundian one.
1548 is way too late. At that point all of those were already Burgundian (well at least Habsburg). You need an earlier POD and you probably need some good allies for Gelre and Oversticht (and Friesland and Groningen) or else they will still fall under Burgundian/Holland influence. And event that might not be enough. Holland was the main force into conquering in these territories. With a larger resistence the rest of the Habsburgian territories (like Brabant and Flanders) might get involved.