Four More for Gore! - A 2000 Election Alternate TL

Don’t Overstay Your Welcome
“Welcome back to Election Night 2000,” the deep voice of Tom Brokaw came in over the television in thousands of households. “NBC is ready to officially call the state of Florida for George W. Bush.”

The news shocked every American still watching on election night as Democrats booed and Republicans cheered all across the country. For hours the state of Florida had been a nail-biter and though many were disappointed in the outcome (Gore had won the popular vote by half a million votes after all) the announcement of Bush’s victory let many Americans take a sigh of relief with the knowledge of who would be the new President come January 20th, 2001. As the pundits spent the remaining time of the night debating how a Bush presidency would pan out in the next four years before suddenly Tom Brokaw stopped the broadcast in front of the NBC Election Headquarters background and in a few sentences threw the country into chaos.

“This just in, NBC has just received credible information from the State of Florida that the count has put Vice President Al Gore narrowly ahead by a razor thin 127 vote margin.” Brokaw appeared disheveled, the news being reported in the earliest hours of November 8th. “We will not call the state for Vice President Gore or Governor Bush just yet, as an estimated 25,000 votes are yet to be counted.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vice President Al Gore was quietly sitting in a small quiet office in the War Memorial Auditorium in Nashville where he silently pondered over his defeat by Governor Bush of Texas. He had failed the Democratic Party and his predecessor in Bill Clinton, though Gore and Clinton’s relationship had become noticeably icy after the Vice President had actively tried to distance himself from the President’s sex scandal. The irony of that had not been lost on Gore, his stunt of kissing his wife at the DNC had earned the laughs of many as the overly passionate lip lock was an obvious attempt to separate himself from the scandal of the previous two years. Gore had naturally been confident in his ability to win, he did win the popular vote if the near-final tallies were to be believed, and he had won by nearly half a million votes. The president wasn’t decided through the popular vote however and as the cruel irony of his defeat set in he couldn’t help but reflect on how he lost to a buffoon that had only made it to the highest office in the country because of his powerful father. ‘To be fair some could describe me the same way’ Gore thought to himself as he let out a self-deprecating chuckle before his campaign manager Donna Brazile burst through the door right as Gore had phoned Governor Bush.

“Al,” she breathed heavily as the light of the fluorescent hallway was contrasted with the dim yellow light of a desk lamp. “You just pulled ahead in Florida.”
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

President-elect George Walker Bush was dining with staff and his family on the night of the election when one of his aide’s interns had let him know that he was getting a call from Vice President Gore. Bush promptly excused himself and walked to the kitchen’s phone where he picked up the receiver and held it to his ear as he excitedly awaited the sound of Gore’s voice.

“Hey there Senator, I just want you to know that you put up a hell of a fight.” Bush could barely contain the enthusiasm in his tone in an attempt to remain humble. “I really respect the campaign you put on and I just want you to know I’m hopin’ you and I can meet again in ‘04.”

“Hello Governor,” Gore’s nasally voice came in through the phone’s receiver, the distraught tone Bush had expected missing from Gore’s voice. “I sure did put up a hell of a fight, and it isn’t over.”

“S-sorry what did you mean by that?”

“Well George, I was calling to concede but as I’m sure you’ve already heard I’m currently up in Florida let alone Wisconsin and Oregon, looks like we got a few more days of election news to look forward to.”

Bush quickly turned pale as a ghost, beads of sweat immediately streaking down his forehead as he pursed his lips and sighed before responding to the quiet Gore on the other end of the phone.

“Well Al, I guess you and I are gonna still be seein’ each other quite a bit I guess.”

“Yes George, I suppose we shall.”

As the recount began in Florida on November 8th it soon became apparent to many that the ‘butterfly ballot’ was a particular difficult issue to resolve as its confusing design and positioning of Bush and Reform candidate Pat Buchanan on the ballot had caused many to incorrectly push in the ’chads’ that had indicated one’s choice for the election. In a random twist of fate, Bush’s totals that had been raised by the military ballots coming in from overseas were soon muddled by the inconsistencies of the butterfly ballot and soon Gore was up by 5,000 due to the sheer confusion caused by the ballots. The Gore campaign soon sought to end anymore attempts at a recount, with Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris agreeing in a shocking moment of bipartisan agreement that the count could not continue into December.

The Bush campaign however, was extremely adamant that every vote should be counted and certified in order to properly account for every American’s voice in the election. The Florida Supreme Court agreed with Bush and a manual recount was to begin despite the protestations of Harris who had also secretly been told to tone it down by Bush’s brother Jeb, the Governor of the State of Florida. Gore was infuriated and quickly appealed the case to the Supreme Court in late-November to end the manual recount and certify Gore the winner who had his lead narrowed back down to under 2,000 votes as more and more ballots were being manually certified by Floridians everyday. The Supreme Court initially refused to take the case, fearing the optics of interfering with a democratic election but the conservative justices soon lobbied Rehnquist to at least hear out the case.

The Bush campaign argued that the confusing nature of the ballot had actively deprived voters of being able to properly exercise their right to representation in the Presidential election and any votes that were unable to be properly verified upon first examination should receive written confirmation by each individual voter. The Gore campaign argued that an individual’s inability to understand the voting process (which to their advantage had written instructions) should not be cause to drag out an election that should have ended weeks ago. Justices Thomas, Scalia, Rehnquist, and O’Connor were at odds with justices Ginsburg, Stevens, Breyer, and Souter with Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy being the decider in the case. The decision was set to arrive in early-December before a leak threw the country into even more chaos and outrage.

“This just in, a rare and unprecedented Supreme Court leak for Associate Justice Clarence Thomas shows both a written dissent and concurrence for either outcome of the Court’s ruling on Gore v. Bush.” Tom Brokaw would become a staple in many American’s memory of the 2000 election. “In a shocking twist of events for the Court, Justice Thomas’s leak shows directly conflicting opinions on the decision of the court with opinions seemingly entirely hinging on whether or not Governor Bush pulls ahead in the race in Florida.”

The shocking leak threatened to destroy any credibility for the Court as Americans everywhere were outraged. Only the staunchest of Bush supporters even dared defend Thomas’s actions and the flak that hit the SCOTUS would eventually persuade Justice Kennedy to side with the liberal side of the court and effectively shut down the recount with Gore leading by a narrow 592 votes. Thomas’s flagrant partisanship in an institution defined by its separation from politics had shaken the judicial institution to its core, numerous Democrats actively called for his impeachment before the party leaders quickly shut that down.

The outrage of the leak stemmed from the four opinion’s base points:
1. Bush leading with the recount ending: The expedience of the election being the tantamount focus of the government in order to ensure a proper transition of power
2. Bush trailing with the recount ending: The rights of every American to voice their opinion were unprecedentedly silenced in a dangerous ruling that threatened to dismantle Americans’ faith in democracy and the recount should continue.
3. Bush leading with the recount continuing: The recount should end in order to ensure a proper transition of power.
4. Bush trailing with the recount continuing: Every vote should be counted and the court is right to ensure every voice is heard to make sure America’s institutions are accountable to the people.

In the end it didn’t matter and Gore was officially certified the winner of the 2000 Election on January 6th, 2001 much to the chagrin of a gathering of pro-Bush protesters outside both the Supreme Court and the Capitol. Justice Thomas, after intense criticism from the left and deafening silence from the right, would announce his resignation on January 7th, 2001 in the shocking series of events that was the 2000 Election, leaving the narrowly Democratic Senate to potentially confirm Gore’s nomination in the future. Immediately after the Supreme Court’s ruling, Governor Bush stood in front of a fleet of television cameras and addressed his supporters to concede the Presidency to Al Gore.

“First I would like to thank everyone who supported me, without you this campaign wouldn’t have even been a fraction of what we accomplished in these many long months on the campaign trail. I would also like to thank my family, and especially my wife Laura, for supporting me through this ordeal as we anxiously awaited the results of our great American democracy. I extend a thank you to Secretary Dick Cheney, my campaign manager Karl Rove, my father George H.W. Bush, my mother Barbara Bush, and congratulate President-elect Al Gore on his hard fought victory. It is important right now to remember that this is exactly what makes America the greatest country in the history of the world. You all, not just Republicans or Democrats but every American, spoke out with the power of millions of voices across this nation in support of a candidate. Your voices were heard, some won and some lost, but our nation marches on stronger than it was before in this unprecedented time for our republic. Our institutions righted themselves, our confidence held strong, and as I end this message thanking so many of you for your support I can’t help but think back to an old saying: ‘don’t overstay your welcome.’” - George W. Bush’s concession speech

2001: A New Dawn for America
On January 20th, 2001, Albert Arnold Gore Jr. was sworn in as the 43rd President of the United States of America. Succeeding his old popular-yet-scandled riddled boss Bill Clinton, Gore and the Democrats celebrated another four years of control in the Presidency and the Senate. Gore’s ascension to the Presidency was something he had dreamed about since his youth spent as a child of a powerful Southern Senator. Not even the most bitter and asterisk-ridden election could rain on Gore’s parade as he beamed a smile to the Capitol through the entire inaugural parade down Pennsylvania avenue. As the proceedings commenced and it became time for Gore to walk up to Chief Justice William Rehnquist (a man whose obvious discomfort stemmed from the Court’s recent scandals) Gore proudly held up his right hand and uttered the words that 43 men had said before him.

”I, Albert Arnold Gore Jr. do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States so help me God.”

The crowd erupted into cheers as Gore shook Rehnquist’s hand and exchanged a kiss with his wife before he shook Clinton’s hand and walked up to the podium and microphone that was set to capture words that would hopefully be remembered for years to come.

“President Clinton, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans, it is rare in the history of the world that a contentious election be resolved with such grace and poise. I would like to begin my address by acknowledging and applauding Governor Bush for what can only be described as an unflinching and unwavering commitment to the great electoral tradition of this nation. I am deeply humbled to stand before you as the 43rd President in a list of great men that have come before me and will undoubtedly follow the execution of my tenure.

We stand at the beginning of a new era, a new millennium. A time of unprecedented change as we continue the march of progress that has defined the American people for centuries. In just the past century we have eradicated diseases, created new forms of transportation, harnessed the power of the atom, taken man to the skies and even rocketed into the vast expanse of the cosmos. In this new millennium we are beginning to see a highway of information, the creation of instant global communication, and ways to interact with each other like we have never done before. In this new millennium I am confident that we will continue the precedent that has defined our spirit as a nation since its inception: the desire to dream of what we can do.“ - Opening statements from Gore’s inaugural address
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Super Bowl XXXV: A Ray of Hope
The Curse of Billy Penn was a cloud that loomed over every one of the city of Philadelphia’s sports fans. For most of its history, Philadelphia City Hall stood as the tallest building in the city until 1985 when construction on One Liberty Place began. Envisioned to stand at 945 feet tall, over 370 feet above the statue of founder William Penn, this broke an unwritten precedent from the Philadelphia Art Commission that the Statue of Penn would be the tallest point in the city. Prior to the skyscraper’s opening in 1987, Philadelphia had experienced much professional sports success in its major teams the Philadelphia 76ers, the Phillies, and the Flyers. The 76ers had won the 1983 NBA Finals and previously been Finalists in 1977, 1980, and 1982 under the tenure of the Doctor Julius Erving. The Phillies had won the 1980 World Series and won the 1983 NCLS Pennant under the leadership of third-baseman Mike Schmidt and Cy Young winning pitcher Steve Carlton. The Flyers were inarguably Philly’s greatest pro sports team and one of the storied NHL teams having a run of three consecutive Stanley Cup appearances between 1974 and 1976 winning in ‘74 and ‘75. The Flyers would also make appearances throughout the early-to-mid 1980s having Stanley Cup appearances in 1980, 1985, and 1987.

The Curse of Billy Penn was the drought that followed Philadelphia’s last major pro sports championship appearance in 1987 after the completion of One Liberty Place. When the city didn’t have outright awful teams they were suffering major collapses in their playoff appearances between the fourteen year stretch between 1987 and 2001. The epic collapse of the Flyers in 1987 and 1993 particularly were sore spots among hockey fans in the City of Brotherly Love. The 76ers could only watch as stars like Charles Barkley, Julius Erving, and Moses Malone either left the team for greener pastures or outright retired in the instance of Erving, Allen Iverson also appeared to want out during his legendary feud with head coach Larry Brown. The Phillies had upset the Atlanta Braves to win the NCLS League Pennant before collapsing under the weight of dueling the reigning champion Toronto Blue Jays in the World Series. The Phillies’ loss to the Jays was particularly upsetting as the series concluded with a three-run homer from behind in the bottom of the ninth by Joe Carter, the only player to have a series-clinching come-from-behind homer in the history of Major League Baseball.

It appeared to many that Philadelphia was to forever be relegated to looking from the outside as team after team in sport after sport consistently dashed any hopes they had of getting rid of the Curse of Billy Penn and returning as the champions of the world in baseball, basketball, or hockey. Thus it really did not attract anyone’s attention all that much when the Philadelphia Eagles were to face the formidable New York Giants in the AFL Divisional Playoff Game. By the end of the kickoff everything already appeared to be lost as Giants wide receiver Ron Dixon came just short of a touchdown after a 89-yard return. In a shocking stroke of luck however, an early ten-yard penalty and a 5-yard give by New York led to an extremely uncharacteristic whiffed field goal by Morten Andersen as John Madden seemed speechless.

“I- I… The Eagles must have somehow spiked the Giants’ gatorade. This might be the worst Morten Andersen miss I’ve seen.” - John Madden

The Eagles were not having much success either as the game became a slugfest of offenses grinding against stalwart defenses until the first point on the board was a 19-foot field goal by the Eagles in the second quarter. Unfortunately for the Eagles the kick was immediately followed by a massive 74-yard touchdown by Ron Dixon looking to redeem himself for failing to make it to the endzone in the beginning of the game. The Giants would also end the half with a made field goal from Andersen to lead 10-3 as halftime began. A scoreless third quarter had many Philadelphia fans losing focus on the game until one heroic touchdown in the early fourth quarter when quarterback Donovan McNabb threaded the pass to WR James Thrash as the city of Philadelphia erupted into cheers. As the score was now 10-10 it looked like the Eagles had a real chance to bring down the Giants. The remaining slog in the next 10 minutes of play saw a 24-yard field goal from the Giants once again as Andersen sent the ball through the middle of the goalpost in a near-perfect kick. The Giants crowd shouted in celebration of what appeared to be the game-winning point from the placekicker with 2 minutes left in the game. The Eagles refused to give up, however, and McNabb sent completed pass after completed pass to get the Eagles to the 17-yard line with 48 seconds left in the game. McNabb whipped a prayer to an open Todd Pinkston who appeared to watch the ball slip inches above his fingers before landing past the end zone. The Eagles decided to go with the safest option and kick a field goal for the fourth down before David Akers punted the ball down the field. The ball appeared to drift to the right pole before it doinked the bar and bounced through the goalpost.

Philadelphia fans nearly rioted when an enormous 54-yard run in overtime by WR Todd Pinkston put the ball at the 14-yard line in a near-guaranteed victory for the Eagles and Akers soon became the hero of Philadelphia. In contrast to his last field goal, his last one of the game sent the ball straight down the middle as the sideline jumped in celebration and the Philadelphia Eagles were potentially able to go to their first Super Bowl since 1980. As the Philadelphia Eagles quickly wrapped up the game against the Minnesota Vikings in the NFCF 17-3 the city of Philadelphia braced itself for a potential disappointment against the Baltimore Ravens who had similarly tore through the Oakland Raiders, 16-3.

Baltimore was a daunting team for the Philadelphia Eagles, though the series was jokingly dubbed “The Battle of the Birds,” Super Bowl XXXV was a slugfest between the two teams. Baltimore’s lackluster offense struggled against Philadelphia’s decent offense while the Eagles struggled to get past Baltimore’s lockdown defense. In a prolonged and struggling first half, the Eagles and Ravens were both only able to get three field goals combined as the Ravens led 6-3, an increasingly obvious pattern in Philadelphia’s 2000 playoff run. In the second half, Donovan McNabb caught fire, launching a 26-yard pass to Thrash for a touchdown before the end of the 3rd quarter putting the Eagles up 10-6 by the fourth with their bonus point earned from Aker’s kick. The fourth was a do-or-die for Philadelphia, the city threatened to riot if they lost, and threatened to riot if they won (albeit less angrily). The first 7 minutes was a disappointment as Ray Lewis sacked McNabb in their first possession of the quarter before the Ravens quarterback Trent Dilfer launched a bomb to Shannon Sharpe for a surprise touchdown with five minutes to go with the Ravens up 13-10 in a familiar scorecard from their game against the Giants. This time however, the Eagles were ready and a Hail Mary pass from McNabb earning the Eagles a 17-13 score.

The Ravens got a field goal and after a defensive stop attempted to mount a wave of offense to achieve another field goal but a 42-yard field goal proved too much for David Akers as the Philadelphia Eagles were champions; ending the 18-year drought for the City of Philadelphia. As McNabb won Super Bowl MVP the City of Brotherly Love erupted in cheers and roars of applause as citizens across the city sported their Eagles jerseys for months. The Eagles, the franchise in Philadelphia that for decades had failed to reach the mountaintop, had risen to the occasion and ended the Curse of Billy Penn that had plagued the city since the 1980s. The Eagles were champions, Philadelphians were champions, and until the Allen Iverson Trade on February 22nd, 2001, Philly had the energy of a city of champions.

Last edited:
Good TL. An earlier Eagles Super Bowl win
To anyone who’s played the quality HoI4 mods or watched For All Mankind I’m going for their little pop culture notifs along with the important political stuff to flesh out the TL. Prepare for a blockbuster Iverson trade in a future post for the sports fans reading this.

The Wreck of the Ehime Maru: Of All the Places in the Ocean…
The first real crisis of the Gore Administration came under a month after the new President’s inauguration. The U.S. Navy’s public relations program regularly took “distinguished visitors” on tours south of the island of O’ahu and Pearl Harbor specifically in order to encourage continued funding for the Navy’s nuclear submarine program. In what would later be described by Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Vernon E. Clark as a “masterclass of incompetence and extreme negligence” by U.S.S. Greenville commander Scott Waddle, the Greenville would depart with numerous potential investors in the restoration of the U.S.S. Missouri and engage in numerous dangerous maneuvers that would later result in the deaths of nearly the entire crew of the Ehime Maru.

Waddle first left Pearl Harbor with numerous malfunctions in the submarine’s system including a complete failure of the sub’s ASDVU unit which would help the Greenville to potentially see through the overcast conditions that plagued the periscope for much of the voyage. With a submerge time set at 10:15, one of the cruel twists of fate that so often plagues accidents like these took place when the late submergence at 10:20 had thrown off the scheduled lunch service at 10:30. Instead of rushing the lunch service, Waddle had instead decided to expedite the maneuvers that the ship was to execute before they headed back to Pearl Harbor before 14:30 for a scheduled dinner reception. Due to the rushed nature of the naval procedures in order to make sure they headed back to harbor on time, fire control technician Patrick Seacrest elected not to continue his Contact Evaluation Plot due to the guests being hurriedly rushed to the main control room for the planned maneuvers.

At 13:45, already scheduled to be late to the reception, commander Waddle ordered an emergency dive followed by a ballast blast that would send the submarine skyrocketing towards the surface of the ocean for a flashy maneuver that Waddle had stated was “sure to impress” the DVs. Unfortunately for the Greenville, the Ehime Maru had both been failed to be spotted by the periscope, the CEP, and the inoperative ASDVU before the Greenville performed its ballast blast. The Greenville upon surfacing ripped diagonally through the bow of the Maru instantly killing nearly every member of the ship as the report of the accident described the ship as “having virtually exploded into wooden shrapnel and splinters upon impact.” Matters were only further complicated by the fact that Waddle had allowed some of the DVs to operate the ballast blast controls during the incident. While the wreck of the Ehime Maru had destroyed the ship near-completely, the Greenville had suffered immense damage to its hull and threatened to take on water leaving an impossible dilemma for the crew: to stay and potentially risk the lives of the crew and guests onboard or leave and radio the wreck’s coordinates, potentially abandoning any possible survivors. As the hull’s damage proved too much to risk, the U.S.S. Greenville would end up abandoning the one high-school survivor aboard the wreck to their death and radioing the wreck’s coordinates before leaving the scene.

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori would continue playing a round-and-a-half of golf after being told of the incident, resulting in numerous calls for his resignation in what became an enormous political scandal as photos later surfaced of him cheerfully chatting with companions on the way to the hole. President Gore, due to the enormous scandal of the crew having left a child for dead, immediately issued a written apology to the Japanese embassy and the Prime Minister personally. Gore also gave a televised address that profusely apologized to the Japanese populace for what was described as “an inexcusable lapse of judgement from the U.S.S. Greenville in what was a completely avoidable tragedy.”

All 22 of the crew aboard the Ehime Maru were killed, only one crewmember having survived though they were unknowingly left out at sea by the crew of the Greenville where he later drowned. There were no attempts to salvage parts of the Ehime Maru as most of the ship left at the bottom of the ocean was far too fragile to effectively be reclaimed or brought back to land. Diving teams would later find some of the remains of the crew but the general consensus was that most of the crew had been irreparably maimed by the submarine upon impact, the only survivor of the initial crash having been standing at the top-stern deck of the ship before impact. Waddle was court-martialed in October of 2001 upon having been found guilty of criminal negligence resulting in death, some even recommending Waddle be charged with manslaughter for leaving the wreck. The family of some of the victims of the Ehime Maru demanded Waddle be extradited to Japan to be tried for murder but that was near-immediately refused by both the Japanese and United States’ governments. The tribunal found that Waddle was excessively negligent in departing the harbor with ineffective surface tracking equipment, his allowing the DVs to operate the controls of the ballast blow, the crew’s inability to properly track the Ehime Maru prior to the ballast blow, his rushing of dangerous procedures, and his abandoning of the scene despite the dangers of staying. Waddle was sentenced to 10 years in prison though he would only serve five after properly appealing for parole. The Ehime Maru is still recognized as one of the worst maritime accidents in United States history and though Gore escaped unscathed in both the Japanese and United States’ public perception, the scandal greatly strained relations between the United States and Japan for a brief period in the early-2000s.

A New Cabinet For a New Millennium: President Gore’s Administration
President: Al Gore
Vice President: Joe Liebermann
Secretary of State: Richard Holbrooke
Secretary of Defense: Richard Danzig
Treasury Secretary: Lawrence H. Summers
Attorney General: Eric Holder
Interior Secretary: Richard H. Bryan
Health and Human Services Secretary: Howard Dean
Commerce Secretary: Tom Downey
Agriculture Secretary: Charles W. Stenholm
Labor Secretary: Linda Chavez-Thompson
Education Secretary: James B. Hunt Jr.
HUD Secretary: Norm Rice
Transportation Secretary: Norm Mineta
Energy Secretary: Bill Richardson
OMB Director: Robert D. Reischauer
EPA Administrator: Katie McGinty

Collide: Close Calls at the Daytona 500
One of the biggest tragedies in the sporting world of 2001 was the end of Dale Earnhardt Sr.’s career at the Daytona 500. Though many experts say that the results could have been far worse, the collision between Earnhardt and Ken Schrader’s vehicles resulted in Earnhardt being rushed to the hospital where he was resuscitated before being put in intensive care. Earnhardt had suffered a broken neck from the whiplash as a direct result of the impact and though he was not paralyzed, the damage to his vertebrae was enough for both the NASCAR organization and Earnhardt himself to decide that one of the most accomplished and storied drivers in the history of racing.

Earnhardt’s accident spurred a massive overhaul of race car safety including neck and head supports, better impact barriers, and a general redesign of NASCAR race cars that provided increased support for drivers upon accident. Earnhardt Sr. himself became a nationwide advocate for racing safety practices which included testifying in front of Congress in an investigation of the incident and the results that had nearly taken his life. After a rebrand by NASCAR following the incident, the Winston Cup series was renamed the Dale Earnhardt Sr. Series in 2009 to honor Earnhardt and his “pursuit of safer racing practices, ensuring that drivers are provided protection now and forever in the future of NASCAR racing.”

Tragic for the Intimidator, but better than OTL. I wonder how Earnhardt would view various safety measures after TTL's crash (I'm guessing the circumstances of the crash was the same as OTL's with Michael Waltrip and Jr. way out ahead of the pack on the last lap)