Would anarchy or military dictatorship be viable options? Or just have it fragmenting into a bunch of other countries?
The military dictatorship option was eliminated earlier. However, I'm going to do a vote on which faction of the victor's side will take over after the civil war, which could very easily lead to a Jacobin-esque Radical dictatorship if the Republicans win.
Also, I expect the Caucasus and Central Asia to break away during the civil war, plus some attempts by China or Japan to get bits of the Russian Far East.

The military dictatorship option was eliminated earlier. However, I'm going to do a vote on which faction of the victor's side will take over after the civil war, which could very easily lead to a Jacobin-esque Radical dictatorship if the Republicans win.
Also, I expect the Caucasus and Central Asia to break away during the civil war, plus some attempts by China or Japan to get bits of the Russian Far East.
Whichever side wins, Russia's not going to be in good shape. If the Empire staggers on, it's gonna likely be as a paranoid and even more impoverished state. See how their experiments with democracy turned out: civil war at the first disagreement! If the Republic wins, I think it's a little brighter in the way of liberal-ness. But it'll be in shambles, and definietly with quite a bit of reconstruction to do. Perhaps they can draw some support for reconstruction, perhaps from the British to keep them strong against Japan?

Whichever side wins, Russia's not going to be in good shape. If the Empire staggers on, it's gonna likely be as a paranoid and even more impoverished state. See how their experiments with democracy turned out: civil war at the first disagreement! If the Republic wins, I think it's a little brighter in the way of liberal-ness. But it'll be in shambles, and definietly with quite a bit of reconstruction to do. Perhaps they can draw some support for reconstruction, perhaps from the British to keep them strong against Japan?
Oh, Russia's in a hard spot either way. I'm a fan of Whatifalthist on YouTube, but I had a problem with his assumption that a victorious White Army in OTL's Russian Civil War would turn Russia into a British-style Constitutional Monarchy. There's a strong possibility that Russia would've turned into some sort of Fascist Dictatorship, and while I don't think that would've turned out quite as bad as Stalin, that wouldn't make it any less awful, especially if you weren't Ethnically Russian and Orthodox (cough cough Jews and Central Asians cough cough).
However, a victorious Republic could end up very badly too. One thing I've noticed is that the radical faction tends to come out on top. The French Revolution originally aimed for a Constitutional Monarchy but ended up with Robespierre, while OTL's Russian Revolution aimed for a Democratic Republic, but ended up with the Bolsheviks. With that in mind, I think it's likely that a victorious Russian Republic ends up with a Radical Revolutionary faction winning the ensuing power struggle, ending up with a Reign of Terror-esuqe regime that ends up eating itself.
As for the Japan part, Japan is a British ally (I do think they'll end up nabbing Sakhalin, though).

Thanks for the response, I've really enjoyed the timeline so far. It feels like you put a lot of passion into it, and the style is refreshingly easy to follow after tons upon tons of somewhat dry timelines.

On Russia, I think you're right that we'll likely see a who's who of Russia's Next Top Bastard, as opposed to a rising moderate. For the Whites, it might well devolve into a junta, or perhaps a regency if the Imperial Family is killed. Hungary's regrency writ large, not a nice thought.

On the Far East, I'd love to hear more about Japan in this world. It'd be a bit of a blank spot to retroactively fill in, but it'd be neat to see it as a Dominion (though improbable). An Anglo-American opened it up, but perhaps America becomes more invested in it overall?

Part 81: Floridian Independence
Part 81: Floridian Independence

After nearly 300 years as a French colony and half a decade of American occupation, Florida was finally independent. However, it had quite a lot to work out. It’d been run mainly from Paris for the better part of three centuries (although the French had devolved some powers in the last few decades of colonization), so there was confusion over what government structure the new Republic would adopt (a Republic because the conditions for independence included not letting the Bourbons back in). The Centralistes wanted a highly centralized state out of Villeroyale, while the Autonomistes wanted a highly decentralized Confederation with a tiny central government. There was also tension between the Conservative landowning rural aristocracy who wanted to preserve the traditional agrarian economy and the urban Nouveau-Riche who believed that industrialization was necessary for the country’s survival (because, you know, they’d been smashed by the Americans twice within the past half a century, in no small part because of the American industrial might). That’s not to mention the racial issues, as the Afro-Floridians who made up ¼ of the population and had been long oppressed (slavery had only been illegal for half a century, and the serfdom that many Afro-Floridians found themselves in afterwords was hardly better) found the new independence as an opportunity to achieve equal status as full Floridian citizens, although it would be an uphill battle to break past the barrier of racial prejudice.

Anyway, a compromise was reached to allow each region of the country to maintain some autonomy, but ultimately be subject to the central government in Villeroyale, essentially adopting a Federal System. The provincial borders were based on geographic and historical boundaries, such as rivers and lines of latitude. Thus, the basic governmental structure was set up, and Florida was now ready to go on as an independent nation.

Any suggestions on the Floridian government’s structure? I don’t want it to be a carbon copy of the U.S. government, so I’d like to hear your suggestions.

La Floride Regions Map.png

Floridian Provinces
  • La Neuse (Seat: Ville-Marie)
  • Armandie (Seat: Richelieu)
  • Ocmulqui (Seat: Fort Ocmulqui)
  • Tegeste (Seat: Saint-Augustine)
  • Caquinampo (Seat: Mûreposte)
  • Alibamons (Seat: Bienville)
  • Assomption (Seat: L’Assomption)
  • Pascagoula (Seat: Saint-Denis de Chisafocque)
  • Basse-Louisiane (Seat: Nouvelle-Orléans)
  • Haute-Louisiane (Seat: Poste-du-Ouachita)
  • Quainco (Seat: Saint-Thérèse de Quainco)
  • Acansa (Seat: Peuplier)

y suggestions on the Floridian government’s structure? I don’t want it to be a carbon copy of the U.S. government
Please don't make it the American style. A Westminster style government and parliament where each cabinet member has to be a MP, and states having their own gov and legislature would be my suggestion.

Any suggestions on the Floridian government’s structure? I don’t want it to be a carbon copy of the U.S. government, so I’d like to hear your suggestions.
I'd think that with French ancestry, plantation economies, and a republic, at least one section of the population would be really leaning into the "New Roman Republic" imagery. (Because many Anglo Protestants in OTL area did and so French Catholics presumably would have more reason to do so, not because it would be historically accurate to identify this way.)
Great TL by the way! Very engaging

We could see a split in Floridian politics between the more liberal personalities, who view the establishment of a republic as a good thing after years of the homeland ignoring them and letting them get battered by the Anglo-Americans, and conservatives, who view the arrangement as an insult to the national character after having their government stripped away from them, not even giving them a monarch. Perhaps a nativist monarchist movement arises.

View attachment 548372
Floridian Provinces
  • La Neuse (Seat: Ville-Marie)
  • Armandie (Seat: Richelieu)
  • Ocmulqui (Seat: Fort Ocmulqui)
  • Tegeste (Seat: Saint-Augustine)
  • Caquinampo (Seat: Mûreposte)
  • Alibamons (Seat: Bienville)
  • Assomption (Seat: L’Assomption)
  • Pascagoula (Seat: Saint-Denis de Chisafocque)
  • Basse-Louisiane (Seat: Nouvelle-Orléans)
  • Haute-Louisiane (Seat: Poste-du-Ouachita)
  • Quainco (Seat: Saint-Thérèse de Quainco)
  • Acansa (Seat: Peuplier)
What are the OTL equivalents of all these provinces/cities?

We could see a split in Floridian politics between the more liberal personalities, who view the establishment of a republic as a good thing after years of the homeland ignoring them and letting them get battered by the Anglo-Americans, and conservatives, who view the arrangement as an insult to the national character after having their government stripped away from them, not even giving them a monarch. Perhaps a nativist monarchist movement arises.
That seems very plausible, although I'm not sure what the Commonwealth of America would think about the Bourbons strolling back into mainland North America (although there is a chance they'd invite a different house in to rule).

What are the OTL equivalents of all these provinces/cities?
La Neuse = Eastern North Carolina, Far South-Central Virginia and Northeastern South Carolina (Ville-Marie = Wilmington, NC)
Armandie = Most of South Carolina and Southwestern North Carolina (Richelieu = Charleston)
Ocmulqui = Most of Georgia (Fort Ocmulqui = Macon, GA)
Tegeste = Florida Peninsula + Far Southern Georgia (Saint-Augustine = St. Augustine)
Caquinampo = Most of Central and Eastern Tennessee, Alabama north of the Tennessee River and Southwestern Virginia (Mureposte = Knoxville)
Alibamons = Most of Alabama and Northwestern Georgia (Bienville = Selma, AL)
Assomption = Western Tennessee, Northern Mississippi and Northwestern Alabama (L'Assomption = Memphis)
Pascagoula = Southern Mississippi, Southwestern Alabama and Louisiana east of the Mississippi except for New Orleans (Saint-Denis de Chisafocque = Jackson, MS)
Basse-Louisiane = Lousiana South/West of the Red River and Far Northeast Texas (Nouvelle-Orleans should be self-explanatory)
Haute-Lousiane = Louisiana North/East of the Red River, Southern Arkansas and Southeastern Oklahoma (Poste-du-Ouachita = Monroe, LA)
Quainco = Most of North/East Texas and a bit of Eastern New Mexico (Saint-Therese de Quainco = Waco)
Acansa = Most of Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado south of the Arkansas River, Texas Panhandle and Northeast New Mexico (Peuplier = Guthrie, OK)

Any suggestions for renaming the underlined provinces?

Last edited:
That seems very plausible, although I'm not sure what the Commonwealth of America would think about the Bourbons strolling back into mainland North America (although there is a chance they'd invite a different house in to rule).
Oh yeah, I like the idea of the Anglo-Americans viewing the Bourbons themselves as a disease to be removed from their borders. But the Floridian hardliners could certainly use it as a sticking point.

Is Florida being occupied during its transition to democracy? Any reparations or such?

The vote is 8-7 Republicans. So, I've decided that the Republicans will win the civil war, but the Czar and his family will successfully escape.