Do you think I should give this TL idea a shot ?

Should I give this TL idea a shot ?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
For a few months, I've been toying with the idea about creating a concise TL based on the backstory and known setting fluff of Bohemia Interactive's Operation Flashpoint and ARMA series, with an emphasis on the former and its 1980s Cold War AH plot.

The purpose of the TL is something akin to the "TL 191 : Filling in the Gaps" thread - in essence, I want to retell some of the games' main storylines in TL format, but also add extensive new parts based on existing fan ideas, pieces of trivia provided by the developer and my own ideas. I especially want to concentrate on trying to build a semi-plausible rationale for the existence of the fictional countries that appeared in the series. Their older history was kept very vague in the original backstory and I've always felt it could use some reasonable elaborating to make the setting of the game look less ASB in some of its aspects. Since the original OFP and ARMA share the same fictional universe, there would be minor references to the latter series in the chronologically newer (i.e. post-1990s) updates of the TL.

Overall, the TL format would be a combination of textbook-style overviews of a specific period with individual narratives covering various events from said era (some stories being more personal and character-driven, others being more of an unamistic narrative about various inhabitants and occupying armed forces in said fictional countries). I've already started a rough draft of the TL and started preparing various visual media that would fit in nicely as illustrations. It's growing quite nicely. I kind of want to use a sort of framing device for the textbook segments : They'd come from two or three fictional publications that were written (in-universe) about the various crucial historical events that happened in the aforementioned countries during the Cold War (and how they influenced European and global geopolitics). As an in-joke, the title of one of these fictional books would reference the title of the source material that inspired the TL - I'm thinking of Baltic Flashpoint : The Story of a Cold War Crisis.

I plan to post the TL in the ASB forum, once I think I'll have enough stuff to start it.

So, what do you think of the idea ? Should I give it a go ?

Vote ! ;)

Last edited:
Just a personal thing; just write! It doesn't matter if you don't think others will think its a great idea, it's just the experience that counts!